PDA

View Full Version : Steelers, Tyrone Carter Agree on Deal

Stlrs4Life
03-25-2007, 09:39 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2812251

In other news, safety Tyrone Carter, who played for the Steelers the last three seasons, has signed a free-agent contract with the Bears, according to ESPN.com's John Clayton. It's a three-year deal worth $2.4 million, including a $280,000 signing bonus. The Bears also re-signed guard Ruben Brown to a one-year deal for $2.2 million.

Thought he did pretty good?

verks36
03-25-2007, 09:43 PM
Dam carter was a good defender. He was always a sure tackle and filled in nicley at corner.

I was really hoping we could sighn him but o well. His dread locks were sick though

SteelCzar76
03-25-2007, 09:49 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2812251

In other news, safety Tyrone Carter, who played for the Steelers the last three seasons, has signed a free-agent contract with the Bears, according to ESPN.com's John Clayton. It's a three-year deal worth $2.4 million, including a $280,000 signing bonus. The Bears also re-signed guard Ruben Brown to a one-year deal for $2.2 million.

Thought he did pretty good?

I can't say i'm going to lose a single wink of sleep about him signing with them. LOL But i do wish him the best of luck.
And hopefully this is the first of many steps towards upgrading the secondary. Though this was not neccesarily a 'move' on our part,....but a stroke of good fortune by him deciding to seek his "glory" elsewhere.

GBMelBlount
03-25-2007, 09:53 PM
Dam carter was a good defender. He was always a sure tackle and filled in nicley at corner.

I was really hoping we could sighn him but o well. His dread locks were sick though

Agreed. Do you think he washes his dread locks or just sprays disinfectant on them occasionally or powder....don't know?

GBMelBlount
03-25-2007, 10:00 PM
I can't say i'm going to lose a single wink of sleep about him signing with them. LOL But i do wish him the best of luck.
And hopefully this is the first of many steps towards upgrading the secondary. Though this was not neccesarily a 'move' on our part,....but a stroke of good fortune by him deciding to seek his "glory" elsewhere.

So you don't think Ike is gonna develop? I think he will. What do you thin about McFadden? If we had more pressure last year do you think the secondary might have had it a little easier, (plus less turnovers & less time on D.):hunch:

RADSteelfan
03-25-2007, 10:05 PM
I wish him well, but don't think he'll be greatly missed. I'm really excited about the talent and youth of our secondary, which should vastly improve under Tomlin.

Preacher
03-25-2007, 10:17 PM
I'll miss him... he was a good person to be a backup. I thought he was a little Thuggish... however, I was impressed when I found out about him buying a kid some things.

However, I think this really points to the fact that Smith will step up as the FS.

tony hipchest
03-25-2007, 10:23 PM
bears signed him to what equates to the maximum veteran minimum. they got a hell of a deal. this is the type of signing that would normally have steelerfans commenting how astute the rooneys are. im suprised we couldnt/wouldnt keep him for that price.

then again if we expect to keep all our high priced free agents coming up, all our back ups who make more than a half a mil will have to go.

Sharkissle29
03-25-2007, 10:38 PM
do you guys see smith starting next year over clark?

Atlanta Dan
03-25-2007, 10:41 PM
bears signed him to what equates to the maximum veteran minimum. they got a hell of a deal. this is the type of signing that would normally have steelerfans commenting how astute the rooneys are. im suprised we couldnt/wouldnt keep him for that price.

then again if we expect to keep all our high priced free agents coming up, all our back ups who make more than a half a mil will have to go.

Tone - As I recall you observed in a prior post, the Cowher way of paying for veteran back-ups at the cost to the cap may be ending, with Carter's departure being a sign.

And let's face it, the secondary was a sieve last season and Colbert/Tomlin may figure that it is time for some fresh faces.

I look for more than the usual low number of this year's draft picks to be sticking around this fall and for Colbert to be more assertive about cutting vets than he was when Cowher could protect his guys. Tomlin certainly owes them nothing.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
03-25-2007, 10:42 PM

Smith

Atlanta Dan
03-25-2007, 10:43 PM

I thought Clark had a decent year. I look for Smith to get much more time in 2007 and replace either Clark or (hate to say it but he is not signed yet) Troy in 2008.

verks36
03-25-2007, 11:03 PM
Smith

agreed :tt02:

The Duke
03-25-2007, 11:25 PM

Yeah, Smith and Troy on the secondary, it's gonna be wild out there.
BTW, this means Logan will stay right, I do know if he was cut or anything, but he can also be a good backup to troy.

SteelCzar76
03-25-2007, 11:41 PM
Yeah, Smith and Troy on the secondary, it's gonna be wild out there.
BTW, this means Logan will stay right, I do know if he was cut or anything, but he can also be a good backup to troy.

Or we can pull up Mike Lorello from the scout team to backup Troy. And gain some 'cap space' by releasing Logan.

SteelShooter
03-26-2007, 12:19 AM
I really like Smith. He has a maniacal toughness in his hits.
Clark did "OK" but just didn't have the same fire that Smith demonstrated.

ChronoCross
03-26-2007, 12:29 AM
best of luck to carter. did not figure on him being here this coming season anyways..

Bigsteve332310
03-26-2007, 12:45 AM
umm...i just read the article and it says nowhere about tyrone carter being a bear.

ChronoCross
03-26-2007, 12:52 AM
BEARS HAVEN'T SIGNED CARTER

In an item posted earlier on Sunday night, ESPN.com reported that the Bears had signed former Steelers safety Tyrone Carter to a three-year deal.

But the folks in Bristol have since pulled a Tribune-Review, expunging from the story any reference to Carter.

A league source tells us that the Bears have not signed Carter, and that nothing is imminent.

Galax Steeler
03-26-2007, 06:32 AM
I think smith should be the man. I like the way he plays and he has alot of passion for the game.

polamalufan43
03-26-2007, 06:57 AM

True, I was pretty impressed with him last season, but I'm sure if the FO needed him they would have re-signed him already. I just hope the FO knows what they are doing.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

stlrtruck
03-26-2007, 08:33 AM
He reminded me of a smaller Booker T (WWE). However, I think he was good defender and liked to lay the lumber when it came to hitting players. Oh, well, it's not the first time we've lost a good hitter only to see an unknown fill his shoes!

Good luck

tony hipchest
03-26-2007, 10:23 AM
this morning on espn's bottom line, it said steelers resign carter for 3 years. :hunch:

klick81
03-26-2007, 11:18 AM
this morning on espn's bottom line, it said steelers resign carter for 3 years. :hunch:

If that's true, I'm cool with that.

Here's my answer:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b272/klick81/th_HoushHit.jpg (http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b272/klick81/?action=view&current=HoushHit.flv)

83-Steelers-43
03-26-2007, 04:58 PM
Steelers, safety Tyrone Carter agree to deal
Monday, March 26, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Safety Tyrone Carter has come to a three-year contract agreement to return to the Steelers, a team spokesman said today.

Carter, a backup safety, became an unrestricted free agent at the start of this month.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07085/772729-66.stm

Preacher
03-26-2007, 05:01 PM
How in the world is that right? I thought we just saw him leave to some other team!

I don't mind having him. He has been able to fill in a couple of different places. I am just confused.

83-Steelers-43
03-26-2007, 05:06 PM
No reason to be confused.

The Trib broke the false story which is the second time this offseason they screwed up a story dealing with the Steelers. They stated he signed with the Bears. Completely false. As usual the PPG got the story correct when it comes to the Steelers.

IMO....

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette = Steelers

The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review = Penguins

Preacher
03-26-2007, 05:06 PM
If that's true, I'm cool with that.

Here's my answer:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b272/klick81/th_HoushHit.jpg (http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b272/klick81/?action=view&current=HoushHit.flv)

I am cool with him coming back as well...

But as to who will start??? look at my ava

83-Steelers-43
03-26-2007, 05:10 PM
Here is what the Trib is stating.......

Steelers re-sign safety Tyrone Carter

By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, March 26, 2007

PHOENIX -- The Steelers have re-signed safety Tyrone Carter, director of football operations Kevin Colbert confirmed at the NFL owners meetings.

ESPN.com had reported earlier that Carter signed a three-year with the Chicago Bears but Colbert said the Steelers agreed to terms with Carter on a contract last Friday.

Carter, a seven-year veteran, can play both safety positions as well as special teams. He started three games for the injured Troy Polamalu at strong safety last season and did an admirable job.

Carter had 39 tackles and two sacks in 2006.

"It was important for us to keep him around and keep him in the fold," Colbert said.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/files/specials/today-in-history/index.html?SITE=PAGRE&SECTION=TOP_STORIES

Stlrs4Life
03-26-2007, 05:20 PM
I got my info from ESPN. Last time I believe them. (John Clayton)

83-Steelers-43
03-26-2007, 05:22 PM
I got my info from ESPN. Last time I believe them. (John Clayton)

That is correct. ESPN originally broke the story, the Trib ate it up with zero confirmation from the Steelers and printed the article. Typical.

Atlanta Dan
03-26-2007, 05:23 PM
With regard to my finely honed argument last night that the Bears signing Carter was the first sign of the Steelers departing from their Cowher-era policy of paying for vet backups as opposed to going with more rookies ....... never mind:dang:

Florida_Steelers_Fan
03-26-2007, 05:39 PM
was he raped and fought in the iraq war by any chance?

(thought the new york times may have contributed to this as well...)

tony hipchest
03-26-2007, 05:51 PM
With regard to my finely honed argument last night that the Bears signing Carter was the first sign of the Steelers departing from their Cowher-era policy of paying for vet backups as opposed to going with more rookies ....... never mind:dang:lol. i was kinda thinking the same thing on my stance. but if the deal is as reported for the bears $2.4 mil, thats not too bad or expensive (and serves as leverage for resigning troy). however, in 2005 we cut veteran longsnapper schneck and went with the rookie warren to save the $400,000 difference between the veteran minimum and the rookie minimum. warren did fine all the way through the superbowl.

interesting situation with anthony smith. i believe we need him playing for development purposes (and because he's damn good). but do we want clark to sit around and be a $2 million back up? i think smith has 2 more years on his rookie contract. do we do how the patriots do it, and limit his playing time so we can sign him cheaper in 2 years? i know we wont do what the eagles do, and that is recognize him as a part of the future and lock him up right now for the long haul. what you over pay for now you recoup when you have him locked up 5 years from now at, what will then be a dicounted rate.

polamalufan43
03-26-2007, 05:55 PM
Okay, thanks for clearing this one up. When I read the first few post I was like "wtf?" Oh well, although I don't really think I had a problem with him leaving, as usual glad that he's staying. Now if we could only do something about those false reports....

polamalufan43
03-26-2007, 06:01 PM
I am cool with him coming back as well...

But as to who will start??? look at my ava

Lol, agreed. Smith needs to start. Although I'm not so sure if he's ready right now, just because it's insanely early in his career, but if he proves ready to go then I say let him play.

GBMelBlount
03-26-2007, 07:42 PM
[QUOTE=tony hipchest;232142]

"but do we want clark to sit around and be a $2 million back up?"

How far our of line is that for a backup?

Sharkissle29
03-26-2007, 07:45 PM
Lol, agreed. Smith needs to start. Although I'm not so sure if he's ready right now, just because it's insanely early in his career, but if he proves ready to go then I say let him play.

i just love watching the way he plays....balls out. thats one of many hits he had last season and he didnt even start much

wiqidjuggalo
03-26-2007, 08:07 PM
Steelers, safety Tyrone Carter agree to deal
Monday, March 26, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Safety Tyrone Carter has come to a three-year contract agreement to return to the Steelers, a team spokesman said today.

Carter, a backup safety, became an unrestricted free agent at the start of this month.

Atlanta Dan
03-26-2007, 08:09 PM
lol. i was kinda thinking the same thing on my stance. but if the deal is as reported for the bears $2.4 mil, thats not too bad or expensive (and serves as leverage for resigning troy). however, in 2005 we cut veteran longsnapper schneck and went with the rookie warren to save the $400,000 difference between the veteran minimum and the rookie minimum. warren did fine all the way through the superbowl.

interesting situation with anthony smith. i believe we need him playing for development purposes (and because he's damn good). but do we want clark to sit around and be a $2 million back up? i think smith has 2 more years on his rookie contract. do we do how the patriots do it, and limit his playing time so we can sign him cheaper in 2 years? i know we wont do what the eagles do, and that is recognize him as a part of the future and lock him up right now for the long haul. what you over pay for now you recoup when you have him locked up 5 years from now at, what will then be a dicounted rate.

Clark's future is tied to Troy's - if Troy is resigned then Clark leaves after 2007. If Troy goes then it is Clark & Smith in 2008

Unlike Faneca, there is no word I have read anywhere on the status of Troy's negotiations - I am clueless as to what to take from that

tony hipchest
03-26-2007, 08:34 PM
Clark's future is tied to Troy's - if Troy is resigned then Clark leaves after 2007. If Troy goes then it is Clark & Smith in 2008

Unlike Faneca, there is no word I have read anywhere on the status of Troy's negotiations - I am clueless as to what to take from thathopefully its like in 05 when all the focus was on hine's and c. hampton quietly signed a longterm deal.

anyone know the status of san fransiscos cap situation? im willing to bet a dime on the dollar they leave enough room to make troy a hefty offer next season. nothing would make their fans happier than bringing in the closest think theyve had since the beloved ronnie lott.

tony hipchest
03-26-2007, 08:46 PM
[QUOTE=tony hipchest;232142]

"but do we want clark to sit around and be a $2 million back up?"

How far our of line is that for a backup?for one back up its not alot but look at our high dollar backups weve had recently

duce
haynes
wilson (?)
okolbi
j. harrison
batch
clark (?)
hoke

granted we need these players but if they dont play they are taking up roster spots and preventing the development of young rookies and players who come at a much cheaper price. assume the above 8 average $2 mil/ year and thats $16 mil against the cap. if we need to keep faneca and pay him 7 mil/ season theres a few players that can be cut (keep batch and harrison who is now our starter) and we go with veterans at the minimum or rookies and ufa's.

BettisFan
03-26-2007, 08:51 PM
how good is Tyrone? good enough to resign i dont think so.

SteelCityMan786
03-26-2007, 09:31 PM
That's it, Post Gazette first for Steelers stories from now on(outside of Steelers.com).

HometownGal
03-26-2007, 10:35 PM
Is John Clayton a direct descendent of Dan Rather?

In any event, I'm glad Carter is going to remain in the B & G. He's a pretty reliable backup and adds a little depth to the safety position. Now let's get Troy re-signed already!!!!

GBMelBlount
03-26-2007, 11:08 PM
Is John Clayton a direct descendent of Dan Rather?

In any event, I'm glad Carter is going to remain in the B & G. He's a pretty reliable backup and adds a little depth to the safety position. Now let's get Troy re-signed already!!!!

Agreed.:tt02:

verks36
03-26-2007, 11:11 PM
wow glad to here he is staying

carter is a beast

glad to have him back

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/32/321214.jpg

Edman
03-27-2007, 01:36 AM
Carter is Joey Porter mini. He tends to talk and "intimidate", only without the accolades, prestige, and lesser stats.

MasterOfPuppets
03-27-2007, 06:23 PM
yeah no shit!!! i looked like a freakin tard today when i told a buddy of mine the bears signed carter...he said "no they didn't, the steelers resigned him"... then he picked up the news paper and showed me. :dang: i guess i can't trust the info i get here.....:coffee:

Believe43
03-27-2007, 07:02 PM
I believe Smith is going to be a top rate safety, I would like to see him, McFadden and Ike live up to the flashes of greatness they have shown at times or a shut down corner out of the draft to join Troy to be one of the best defensive backfields in football.

tony hipchest
03-27-2007, 07:20 PM
yeah no shit!!! i looked like a freakin tard today when i told a buddy of mine the bears signed carter...he said "no they didn't, the steelers resigned him"... then he picked up the news paper and showed me. :dang: i guess i can't trust the info i get here.....:coffee:last night nfl networks bottom line scrolled that the steelers had signed titans OG zach pillar to a 1 year deal (replacement for faneca?). turns out it was detriot looking to light a fire under damien woodys ass.:dang:

GBMelBlount
03-27-2007, 10:04 PM
last night nfl networks bottom line scrolled that the steelers had signed titans OG zach pillar to a 1 year deal (replacement for faneca?). turns out it was detriot looking to light a fire under damien woodys ass.:dang:

embarassing but not yur fault. You are on. Just wish reporters cared like you.

tony hipchest
03-28-2007, 12:25 AM
"i kid, because i care"

tony hipchest
03-28-2007, 01:55 AM
sirius radio reported its 3 yrs for 2.5 million which is a little above maximum veteran minimum. with his experience and knowing the system, id say thats pretty good value. i am a bit suprised he didnt get more looks from a team like the patriots or cowboys (cowboys paid ken "my skull was cracked in a barfight" hamlin 2.5 for 1 year).

i think the steelers got the best bang for their buck and i think carter has a bit more skill than to be a career back up. like charlie batch, he will be solid and relatively cheap.

MasterOfPuppets
03-28-2007, 06:06 PM
I thought the guy was pretty good, but you know what? We have a lot of DBs who are pretty good. One of them was probably bound to go eventually; we couldn't keep them all forever.
carter was resigned BY THE STEELERS!!!

PITTSBURGH ? The Steelers agreed to terms with free agent safety Tyrone Carter, the team announced today. Financial terms of the three-year deal were not disclosed.

Carter (5-8, 195) played in all 16 games in 2006, starting three, while finishing with 42 tackles, the most in his three seasons with Pittsburgh. He finished the season with two sacks and two forced fumbles.

Carter was originally drafted by the Minnesota Vikings as their second selection (118th overall) in the fourth round of the 2000 NFL Draft out of the University of Minnesota. After two seasons with the Vikings, he spent one year with the New York Jets before signing with Pittsburgh as a free agent on Oct. 20, 2004.

For his career, Carter has played in 103 games with 34 games started. He has 285 career tackles (209 solo) with four sacks and four interceptions in his seven seasons in the NFL.

GBMelBlount
03-28-2007, 11:30 PM
sirius radio reported its 3 yrs for 2.5 million which is a little above maximum veteran minimum. with his experience and knowing the system, id say thats pretty good value. i am a bit suprised he didnt get more looks from a team like the patriots or cowboys (cowboys paid ken "my skull was cracked in a barfight" hamlin 2.5 for 1 year).

i think the steelers got the best bang for their buck and i think carter has a bit more skill than to be a career back up. like charlie batch, he will be solid and relatively cheap.

Agree on batch, taking your word on Carter. Sounds like he's solid. :tt02:

coachspeak33
03-29-2007, 11:06 AM
Tyrone Carter will outperform his contract....exactly the kind of guy the rooney's want playing for the steelers

I like the sign, but i am curious how this effects anthony smith and ryan clark

I am living in a comfortable world of denial when it comes to troy....i simply cant fathom the rooney's letting a guy with his on field skills, humble attitude, and cerebral-yet-determined work ethic leave

GBMelBlount
03-29-2007, 10:58 PM
Tyrone Carter will outperform his contract....exactly the kind of guy the rooney's want playing for the steelers

I like the sign, but i am curious how this effects anthony smith and ryan clark

I am living in a comfortable world of denial when it comes to troy....i simply cant fathom the rooney's letting a guy with his on field skills, humble attitude, and cerebral-yet-determined work ethic leave

Wow, I only know from SF posts. Did you see/read anything about Troy? I had the impression that most thought we'd do whatever it takes. :tt02:

tony hipchest
03-29-2007, 11:26 PM
Wow, I only know from SF posts. Did you see/read anything about Troy? I had the impression that most thought we'd do whatever it takes. :tt02:rumor is polamalu wants 1 dollar more than ed reed which will be a symbolic gesture making him the highest paid safety in the league. the steelers will probably counter offer with 1 dollar less than ed reed.

keeping someone as the highest paid player at their position seems to be about as taboo as extending someones contract with more than a year left on it. the great thing is (and atlanta dan has pointed this out), if nothing, the steelers will slap the franchise tag on him. hes the perfect candidate and will come at a bargain price at just the average of the top 5 safeties.

Steelersfan4life0655
03-30-2007, 08:24 PM
first and foremost, i am glad that have resigned carter it's gives us depth to our safeties and he's been a decent players for us. And with the whole Polamalu thing, i really hope the rooney's dont dwell on his contract and give him a fair deal that is really close to what he wants, he deserves it. but if they are forced to use a franchise tag, then i guess i wont balk at the idea, just to keep him around here. just please dont let this guy go,IMO.:tt02:

polamalufan43
03-30-2007, 10:00 PM
They let Troy go, I suffer depression, or something close to it. Simple as that, lol.

But seriously, I honestly don't think they are going to give Troy that much money, it just doesn't seem like the Rooney's at all. I think they will give him a fair deal that Troy will happily accept. After all, the reps of the Rooney's have said that getting Troy signed is a top priority, and I don't really think the Rooney's would decieve us in any way.

GBMelBlount
03-31-2007, 11:41 PM
They let Troy go, I suffer depression, or something close to it. Simple as that, lol.

But seriously, I honestly don't think they are going to give Troy that much money, it just doesn't seem like the Rooney's at all. I think they will give him a fair deal that Troy will happily accept. After all, the reps of the Rooney's have said that getting Troy signed is a top priority, and I don't really think the Rooney's would decieve us in any way.

After season 1 I was like what, "we traded up for Troy?!" Wow has he blossomed. Is Troy really the number 1 safety in the NFL? Regardless, I think it would be a tradgedy if we didn't sign him.

Big7Ben
04-01-2007, 09:26 AM
i thought the steelers resigned him? masterofpuppets is right.

Elvis
04-01-2007, 06:31 PM
I agree even though I didnt really think that much of Carter at the beginning of last year. The guy played pretty darn good I thought and probably could be starting on most teams, so we are kind of lucky that he decided to stay with us and have an imediate chance at another Super Bowl Tittle.. And if the Steelers dont resign Troy then there is something that they are Not telling us about the seriousness about his health dont ya think?
JESUS IS KING...
Elvis

ben2hines=6
04-03-2007, 01:09 AM
i dont think its a question of the rooneys wanting to give him money but the question is can we keep him and stay under the cap....no doubt about it troy is a top saftey and the rooneys want him to stay but football isnt baseball, u do have to follow the cap...speaking of which why is okobi making so much damn money???

ChronoCross
04-03-2007, 01:35 AM
i dont think its a question of the rooneys wanting to give him money but the question is can we keep him and stay under the cap....no doubt about it troy is a top saftey and the rooneys want him to stay but football isnt baseball, u do have to follow the cap...speaking of which why is okobi making so much damn money???

Okobi has been grooming to take over for hartings. If Okobi does not beat out Mahan and Simmons for center you will not see him to much longer.

GBMelBlount
04-03-2007, 10:04 PM
Okobi has been grooming to take over for hartings. If Okobi does not beat out Mahan and Simmons for center you will not see him to much longer.

That is obvious. My gut is he won't. I may be wrong. Hopefully Simmons may be a better prospect at center. And agreed that that is one of the reasons they brought in Mahan. That being said Chrono, I think we may pick up a lineman or two in the draft....Hopefully at least one early. I am new & thought D on day one, but you are right, O-line is also a priority!