PDA

View Full Version : kevin colbert on sirius

tony hipchest
03-26-2007, 04:27 PM
kevin colbert was on the radio and he said the steelers will NOT be making a quick transition to the 4-3. tomlin agrees that all these 3-4 players are in the prime of their careers and its gonna take time and several drafts to be able to make the conversion the right way.

i guess this is old news really no different from what tomlin has said all along, but it seems to be some more definitive word from the top that we wont be trying to force a square peg in a round hole.

RoethlisBURGHer
03-26-2007, 08:42 PM
Good to hear a definate answer.Though I'd prefer that we never switch and use the 3-4 forever.

GBMelBlount
03-26-2007, 09:36 PM
kevin colbert was on the radio and he said the steelers will NOT be making a quick transition to the 4-3. tomlin agrees that all these 3-4 players are in the prime of their careers and its gonna take time and several drafts to be able to make the conversion the right way.

i guess this is old news really no different from what tomlin has said all along, but it seems to be some more definitive word from the top that we wont be trying to force a square peg in a round hole.

I think it takes time to have the right personnel to make the 3-4 to 4-3 transition. I for one am glad (probably to take the time to have the right personnel) that they are not changing right away. :cheers:

Edman
03-27-2007, 12:43 AM
That's good to hear.

So does that mean we won't be using a 3-4/4-3 hybrid this year?

RADSteelfan
03-27-2007, 10:36 AM
Doesn't really matter what defensive scheme they go with as long as it stops the opposing offense. I think we will see no particular scheme, but rather a mixture of different sets and formations. Anything to keep the offense guessing and confused works for me.

dhosmer
03-27-2007, 10:46 AM
I agree. I think they will use a 3-4 base but throw in a lot of different looks. And like RAD said, as long as it stops the offense, I'm happy.

nicesteel4life
03-27-2007, 01:12 PM
First and foremost whatever we use must stop the advancement of the ball! Period! If it takes a 3/4 or a 4/3 or 4/4 or 5/2 Whatever is needed, needs used!

StillerPaul
03-27-2007, 03:59 PM
I can't see how it would take such a long time to transition. Take out a LB, add a DE, boom, 4-3? I favor the 4-3 because i love the idea of an extra BIG passrusher in there on 3rd and long. QB's gettin' too much time has killed us plenty in the past, especially on 3rd downs. And many times the blitzer in the 3-4 wasn't big enough to get through a T or FB imo.

Livinginthe past
03-27-2007, 04:48 PM
I can't see how it would take such a long time to transition. Take out a LB, add a DE, boom, 4-3? I favor the 4-3 because i love the idea of an extra BIG passrusher in there on 3rd and long. QB's gettin' too much time has killed us plenty in the past, especially on 3rd downs. And many times the blitzer in the 3-4 wasn't big enough to get through a T or FB imo.

I would imagine it would be a little more complex than that.

Every player has to know where he should be in a multitude of situations - very different places from the 3-4.

Plus its not easy for a 3-4 DE to play 4-3 DE unless he is an exceptional athlete.

BettisFan
03-27-2007, 04:55 PM
just wodnering isnt sirrus now XM?

StillerPaul
03-27-2007, 06:21 PM
I would imagine it would be a little more complex than that.

Every player has to know where he should be in a multitude of situations - very different places from the 3-4.

Plus its not easy for a 3-4 DE to play 4-3 DE unless he is an exceptional athlete.

The gist of it to me is that the transition can be completed in one off-season. I trust that Tomlin and LeBeau could have the system in place and players excecuting by week one.

tony hipchest
03-27-2007, 06:25 PM
The gist of it to me is that the transition can be completed in one off-season. I trust that Tomlin and LeBeau could have the system in place and players excecuting by week one.that may work for 4-12 teams who arent to concerned about winning now. but why else would BOTH tomlin and colbert come out and say theyre not gonna try and force this switch over night.

tomlin has already said theres a bunch of successful 3-4 players fit for the 3-4 system who are in THE PRIME OF THEIR CAREERS. i dont think it gets much clearer than that.

the steelers wont be exclusively running a 4-3 by week 1. its simply not in the plans.