PDA

View Full Version : raiders to make a play for josh mccown?

tony hipchest
03-27-2007, 05:59 PM
http://nfl.com/draft/story/10091269(March 27, 2007) -- After spending a few days with the general managers, coaches and an owner or two at the NFL owners' meetings in Phoenix this week, I have a much different perspective about where the draft is headed.

Mock draft No. 5 reflects the trade between the Falcons and Texans that sent Matt Schaub to Houston, the Eagles-Bills trade involving Takeo Spikes, and all the information floating around Phoenix. Free-agent signings are slowing down a bit but there are still a few personnel moves affecting the draft.

The top of the draft seems to have changed the most in the past week as teams seem to be settling in on their plans. As one GM said, "There is the potential for more trades than ever on draft day."

Note: Changes from the fourth mock draft are marked with an asterisk. There are three hypothetical trades in this mock draft.

1. **Oakland: Calvin Johnson, WR, Georgia Tech -- The Raiders have a lot of needs, but as long as quarterback is one of them, they have to respond by selecting the guy with the great deep ball, JaMarcus Russell. By passing on the opportunity to get Schaub in a trade, it looks like a quarterback is the pick -- but if the Raiders secure a QB like Josh McCown from the Lions, then here comes Calvin Johnson. Let's go with Johnson, the top-rated player on most draft boards!
al davis obiously has a johnson itch he cant scratch, unless he gets a bonafide qb without spending the #1 pick on the position. of course this could all be posturing to get the buc's wheels spinning. i know new coaches like their own guys. didnt kiffen coach matt cassell at usc. putting 2 and 2 together i though the raiders mightve been dumb enough to make a move in this direction.

verks36
03-27-2007, 06:10 PM
al davis obiously has a johnson itch he cant scratch,

HAha i hate when that hapens:thumbsup: :thumbsup: . JK

Ya i serouly think i could do a better job as a owner thatn all davis.

MasterOfPuppets
03-27-2007, 06:52 PM
i think the raiders would be foolish to not take johnson, or trade down.

Livinginthe past
03-27-2007, 07:00 PM
I can't see how Josh McCown could have any effect on the Raiders 1st round pick.

Sure, he is a QB but I can't think of many teams he would be starting for - lets face it, he is 2nd on the depth chart for the Detriot Lions - thats hardly a recommendation of starting ability.

I like Kirwan, but his thinking looks a bit muddled on this one.

MasterOfPuppets
03-27-2007, 07:13 PM
:thumbsup: I can't see how Josh McCown could have any effect on the Raiders 1st round pick.

Sure, he is a QB but I can't think of many teams he would be starting for - lets face it, he is 2nd on the depth chart for the Detriot Lions - thats hardly a recommendation of starting ability.

I like Kirwan, but his thinking looks a bit muddled on this one.

i can think of one.....the raiders....repeat brooks and walters 3 times then see how mcCOWN sounds....

tony hipchest
03-27-2007, 07:14 PM
I like Kirwan, but his thinking looks a bit muddled on this one.whose thinking was muddled when the raiders went with aaron brooks as their starter last year? it sure wasnt kirwan who pulled the trigger on that one.

believe it or not there are some who believe mccown is a young untapped football talent similar to schaub who have just so happenend to be burried behind a veteran. im not saying i think hes great but i recognize the potential. he was another victim of the lions with their head up their ass. i believe he is scheduled to make more than kitna and was brought in to be a future starter and not a back up. maybe the lions didnt know they would have an opportunity to draft quinn who may or may not be a better pro than mccown.

the raiders passed on leinart and cutler. its not to far fetched to think they would pass on russell for the clear cut, consensus #1 player on about 90% of teams draft boards.

its also not to far fetched to think the raiders may do how the chargers have been known to do (draft vick and e. manning) to maximize their picks value.

Livinginthe past
03-27-2007, 08:26 PM
whose thinking was muddled when the raiders went with aaron brooks as their starter last year? it sure wasnt kirwan who pulled the trigger on that one.

believe it or not there are some who believe mccown is a young untapped football talent similar to schaub who have just so happenend to be burried behind a veteran. im not saying i think hes great but i recognize the potential. he was another victim of the lions with their head up their ass. i believe he is scheduled to make more than kitna and was brought in to be a future starter and not a back up. maybe the lions didnt know they would have an opportunity to draft quinn who may or may not be a better pro than mccown.

the raiders passed on leinart and cutler. its not to far fetched to think they would pass on russell for the clear cut, consensus #1 player on about 90% of teams draft boards.

its also not to far fetched to think the raiders may do how the chargers have been known to do (draft vick and e. manning) to maximize their picks value.

I guess its possible Kirwan is factoring in the 'Raider effect' - this suggestion seems so 'out there' (to me anyway) that you would think he must have heard some rumors on this subject.

What type of trade value do you think McCown would potentially have?

I really can't imagine anything above a 5th but if the Raiders tipped their hand they were thinking of McCown as a starter it would surely go up.

Walter needs to be given a shot to operate behind a decent O-Line - it would also help if his coach this year doesn't single him out for discipline when everybody else on the team has a free pass.

Its one to watch for sure.

tony hipchest
03-27-2007, 08:43 PM
I guess its possible Kirwan is factoring in the 'Raider effect' - this suggestion seems so 'out there' (to me anyway) that you would think he must have heard some rumors on this subject.

ding ding ding!

(March 27, 2007) -- After spending a few days with the general managers, coaches and an owner or two at the NFL owners' meetings in Phoenix this week, I have a much different perspective about where the draft is headed.

(in fact, robert kraft came in and crashed their radio interview with peter king thismorning)

of course teams using the media to posture cant be discounted. beauty is in the eye of the beholder. what has schaub shown that says hes more valuable than batch, mccown or cassell? :hunch:

a.j. feeley proved to be worth a 2nd rounder a few seasons ago. david carr doesnt seem to be worth squat. trent green may only be worth a 7th. drew bledsoe was worth a ransom. the qb's trade value has gotta be as big of a crapshoot as draft position itself. (manning vs. leif).

i do think the 1st pick in the 3rd round is something both parties would seriously consider and think they got a good deal.

i would rather have mcnown and johnson over moss and russell. scenarios like this are what the raiders are gonna play out and they will probably let other teams offers dictate which direction they go in.

MasterOfPuppets
03-27-2007, 08:48 PM
the raiders were pursuing McCown before detroit landed him? peraps kirwin figures there still interested based on that...

The Raiders' pursuit of former Minnesota Vikings quarterback Daunte Culpepper barely got off the ground before he was traded to the Miami Dolphins.

Former Arizona Cardinals quarterback Josh McCown spurned a two-year contract offer from the Raiders for a job with the Detroit Lions.

Now the spotlight has moved toward Aaron Brooks as the Raiders continue their search for a replacement for deposed Kerry Collins.

silver & black
04-01-2007, 10:20 AM
In my experience, if you want to know what the Raiders will do on draft day, try to think of the dumbest thing anyone could do, then try to imagine something twice as dumb.

The Raiders won't do that. They'll do something even dumber.

You mean you just noticed that the Raiders keep everyone in the dark about the draft? :sofunny:

You're right, the Raiders have made some very big draft mistakes in the past. I think we did real good with the draft last year. We drafted for need, instead of want.

As far as going after McCown, We need some depth, and Josh Booty aint gonna cut it.

I can't even read the draft assumptions anymore... it makes my head hurt. I hope the Raider NEVER have the #1 pick again... I can't take it! There are just hundredes of trade/draft scenarios going around right now... it's just overwhelming to try and keep up with it all. I give up. I'll just wait for the draft, and see what happens.:thumbsup:

BettisFan
04-01-2007, 11:01 AM
i think they need a veteran qb and then should get calving johnson it will work out better int he end