PDA

View Full Version : First Round Pick for Lance Briggs

noto45
03-27-2007, 09:31 PM
Since I live in Illinois all you hear about is Lance Briggs and the Bears. I was wondering do you think our first round pick is worth trading for Lance Briggs????

MasterOfPuppets
03-27-2007, 10:18 PM
Since I live in Illinois all you hear about is Lance Briggs and the Bears. I was wondering do you think our first round pick is worth trading for Lance Briggs????
if we couldn't afford to keep porter.....:coffee:

GBMelBlount
03-27-2007, 10:26 PM

Uhhhhhh, do I think we would trade up? Doubt it. Would we trade down? Yes. Didn't have alot of keepers last year. I do think we have alot of spots to fill, especially if we lose stud...Faneca.... on an already interesting line....not that we'll lose him....we'll see. Sorry if I got off track. :tt02:

tony hipchest
03-27-2007, 10:30 PM
lance briggs played last year for peanuts. id rather just draft the next lance briggs (3rd round)

like mop said, we cant afford a free agent lb at the tender price.

ChronoCross
03-27-2007, 10:48 PM
Already posted in right place in NFL Football;

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=15922

RoethlisBURGHer
03-28-2007, 09:22 AM
We can't afford him,and he's gonna be more expensive than Peezy was.

A trade with Briggs would probally have to have a contract in place before he leaves Chicago.He doesn't wanna play for the Bears,but I think he'd rather play in Chicago than somewhere else for one year.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-28-2007, 09:36 AM

He would have to be moved to MLB....doesnt fit as a 3-4 outside Linebacker...also is a player that benifited from Chicagos Defense and may only be an average LB in another scheme.

ajs8207
03-28-2007, 09:41 AM
Maybe if we had the cap room.

Buzz05
03-28-2007, 09:43 AM
I wouldnt do it...Why would we want someone elses problems. Joey was well loved in the city and he was let go because of cap issues. Why bring in someone who is already disgruntled over his contract and who has no ties with the team. If we were gonna do that we should have just kept Joey and let him walk next year. Atleast that way a fan favorite is around for another year...I say no trade

coachspeak33
03-28-2007, 10:15 AM
I wouldnt do it...Why would we want someone elses problems. Joey was well loved in the city and he was let go because of cap issues. Why bring in someone who is already disgruntled over his contract and who has no ties with the team. If we were gonna do that we should have just kept Joey and let him walk next year. Atleast that way a fan favorite is around for another year...I say no trade

My guess is that the Rooney's pay absolutely ZERO attention to who is a fan favorite and who isnt...that really has nothing to do with their decision making

And if the decision was simply Briggs or Porter....that is easy...Briggs in a second...younger with more good years ahead of him

As far as the trade....it will never happen

Buzz05
03-28-2007, 10:32 AM
And if the decision was simply Briggs or Porter....that is easy...Briggs in a second...younger with more good years ahead of him

If it was for a long term contract then yeah I would take Briggs, he is younger. But for one year with free agency looming for both of them..I would take Porter.

noto45
03-29-2007, 06:51 AM
I am talking we trade and sign him to a long term deal...whats the difference then drafting a young guy grooming him then paying him??? Briggs is ready NOW!

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
03-29-2007, 07:53 AM
No.....have a good pick at 15...not many holes to fill.....and you see that all Briggs cares about is money.......He was in the superbowl last year......a great chance to repeat.... and now he wants out.......Doesnt care about the game.....only the money

coachspeak33
03-29-2007, 09:23 AM
I wouldnt go so far to say he ONLY cares about money...
He wants to be paid like the bad ass LB he is...and not be treated like Urlacher's kid borther...

But I would say that a guy that uses the national media & holdout threats to get what he wants presents a pretty sizeable philosophical difference...one that the rooney's could never allow on THEIR football team

Elvis
04-01-2007, 05:57 PM
NO
Give Your Heart To Jesus
Elvis

ChronoCross
04-02-2007, 12:34 PM
Bears to Come With Briggs Counteroffer
Team Likely Seeks a Redskins Defender

By Howard Bryant
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, April 2, 2007; Page E03

The Washington Redskins' proposed trade for Chicago linebacker Lance Briggs will reach a secondary stage today when the Bears are expected to counter the Redskins' offer of the team's sixth overall pick in next month's draft in return for Chicago's 31st pick and Briggs.

Full Story;
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/01/AR2007040101038.html

Stlrs4Life
04-02-2007, 04:09 PM
lance briggs played last year for peanuts. id rather just draft the next lance briggs (3rd round)

like mop said, we cant afford a free agent lb at the tender price.

I agree. No way we do this.

Crushzilla
04-03-2007, 01:02 PM
Also, the thing on Briggs is the same as what people used to say about Porter, that he was a mediocre linebacker in a linebacker friendly defense. Briggs, of course, coming from a system where people had to run away from Urlacher toward him.

Good stats last year, but I remember reading somewhere that Chicago is a stat friendly system being in the Tampa 2.

He may drown away from Urlacher (although he hardly thinks so)... Its not worth the benjies... Let the Redskins have him...

They'll keep trying to buy a Super Bowl...

How do they stay under the cap?

Its just one of those things... Its so hard to tell how someone is going to 'mesh' on a new team. Its kind of refreshing that the Steelers don't go out and dish out big bucks every year to free agents (not like we could this year). Its one of the reasons we probably stay so competative.

The aforementioned Redskins dumped a ton of cash for Randle El, just because he has a ring now. He had 351 receiving yards (62 short of the league AVERAGE) and only 3 touchdowns (A fourth on a punt return). The Redskins finished 5-11. I don't know... Buying high profile free agents just doesn't always seem smart. The Patriots seem to do well with the same philosophy... Except for this year, because Belichik wants one more.

ChronoCross
04-03-2007, 02:23 PM
Bears | Team rejects Redskins' trade offer for Briggs
Tue, 3 Apr 2007 10:45:27 -0700

Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports as of right now, the proposed deal sending Chicago Bears LB Lance Briggs and the No. 31 overall pick in the NFL Draft to the Washington Redskins for the No. 6 overall pick is off the table after Bears general manager Jerry Angelo rejected the deal. According to sources, Angelo phoned the Redskins Tuesday, April 3, with his decision. The deal, however, may not be lost for good. The Bears would like to include LB Rocky McIntosh in the deal. The Redskins, however, do not want to part with McIntosh.

fansince'76
04-03-2007, 02:27 PM
Bears | Team rejects Redskins' trade offer for Briggs
Tue, 3 Apr 2007 10:45:27 -0700

Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports as of right now, the proposed deal sending Chicago Bears LB Lance Briggs and the No. 31 overall pick in the NFL Draft to the Washington Redskins for the No. 6 overall pick is off the table after Bears general manager Jerry Angelo rejected the deal. According to sources, Angelo phoned the Redskins Tuesday, April 3, with his decision. The deal, however, may not be lost for good. The Bears would like to include LB Rocky McIntosh in the deal. The Redskins, however, do not want to part with McIntosh.

Jerry Angelo = IDIOT. They're not willing to move up 25 picks in the 1st round at the expense of unloading a disgruntled player who has made it loud and clear he WILL NOT play for the Bears again, no way, no how? Stupidity, sheer stupidity.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-03-2007, 02:33 PM
Jerry Angelo = IDIOT. They're not willing to move up 25 picks in the 1st round at the expense of unloading a disgruntled player who has made it loud and clear he WILL NOT play for the Bears again, no way, no how? Stupidity, sheer stupidity.

I think this rejection is based on the fact that the obvious player to take Briggs place is Paul Posluszney...and since they seem to think he would be there at #31...a trade up may be worthless to them.

If they take a different position..they have no OLB..if they take Pos...they reached and wasted the pick..so throw in Rocky Mac..and they have a potential OLB and they have a higher pick to fill a different position

fansince'76
04-03-2007, 02:38 PM
I think this rejection is based on the fact that the obvious player to take Briggs place is Paul Posluszney...and since they seem to think he would be there at #31...a trade up may be worthless to them.

If they take a different position..they have no OLB..if they take Pos...they reached and wasted the pick..so throw in Rocky Mac..and they have a potential OLB and they have a higher pick to fill a different position

I guess it would have to be, as no other explanation makes sense.

paw-n-maul-u
04-03-2007, 08:05 PM
6th pick is worth 1600 pts.
31st pick is worth 600 pts.

... going strictly off of that alone the trade is equivalent to the 16th pick in the draft ... I think Briggs is worth more than that. Angelo must have thought the same thing. Now I'm not sure if I would have turned down the trade or not given Briggs feelings towards playing next year in Chicago and how adamant he is about wanting a long term deal elsewhere.

However, I think the deal should be: bears swap Briggs + 2nd round pick (pick 63) for 6th overall pick. ... no swapping of first rounders and no Rocky Macintosh.

JuniorSteelerfan
04-05-2007, 08:52 PM
I would prefer to keep our picks and get a younger and better LB in the draft let the Bears worry about their own problems

paw-n-maul-u
04-06-2007, 02:04 AM
man ... i sure don't want to toot my own horn or anything ... but here's a link to Judge's article on sportsline.com about the whole situation. ... and you guys thought he was crazy for turning the offer down....

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10106490