PDA

View Full Version : The Bus' Calf.." I thought it was over "

SteelersWyo
08-29-2005, 09:28 AM
ESPN radio reported he is out 2 weeks with a calf injury. That is good news since it should mean only missing the 1st game of the season. Only trouble is those types of injuies, like a groin, never seem to fully heal without lots of rest. He is older and a little slower, but no one is better between the tackles, and do we ever need him.

pitt
08-29-2005, 09:47 AM
I hope he heals properly. He's and important part of the team.

SteelR1
08-29-2005, 11:04 AM
I sure hope he doesn't miss too many games... The bus is a very vital part of this team...

Heal quickly and completely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Koopa
08-29-2005, 12:07 PM
i hate that bettis is hurt, but i sure love that fact that willie parker is going to start. after these the first 2 weeks of the regular season we all going to be saying duce who? lol.

slashsteel
08-29-2005, 02:41 PM
We have to take a wait and see approach on the Bus. He will have a second MRI test coming up, so anything is possible. But what this does is give Willie a chance to show he belongs being the featured back. To me Bettis belongs as a short yardage back at this point in his career. I don't see why the FO thinks otherwise. Even Jerome himself came out and stated he doesn't feel like he can carry the load. No it is Fast Willie time to showcase the skills............

clevestinks
08-29-2005, 03:38 PM
It is truly ashame. He is one of the ones truly playing for a championship, and not just the money. I am afraid it will continue to be a nagging unjury.

SteelZeal
08-29-2005, 03:43 PM
Another bad thing about this: It lets headline writers and broadcasters talk about The Bus "having a flat tire" or "needing a tune-up" or being "parked in the garage."

It's always so original! ....sigh...

SteelersWyo
08-29-2005, 04:05 PM
Good thing is if he only misses 2-3 weeks he has 1 1/2 of those before the regular season starts and the bye is week 4. If they can make it to that point being at least 2-1 everyone gets another week off to heal and practice time for the offense. How they start the season will be the determining factor in winning the division. 0-3 or 1-2 will be hard to make up with Cincy and the Ratbirds ahead of them. Not impossible, but hard.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-29-2005, 04:32 PM
Bettis will want to get out there asap, and I hope the team doesnt allow him to rush back before he's ready..like they've done in the past..and then make it worse... same w/ Staley last year, he came back too early and then missed 4 more games till he was healed.

Looks like its parker, haynes and Herron...for now.

clevestinks
08-29-2005, 04:35 PM
Bettis will want to get out there asap, and I hope the team doesnt allow him to rush back before he's ready..like they've done in the past..and then make it worse... same w/ Staley last year, he came back too early and then missed 4 more games till he was healed.

Looks like its parker, haynes and Herron...for now.
Absolutley correct, Blitz. He will want to get out there asap. This could be bad

BlitzburghRockCity
08-29-2005, 04:39 PM
Im anxious to see who they are really considering if anybody to bring in to help out.. I would imagine though, they'll wait and see how Haynes and Parker do w/ the RB duties till bettis and staley get back.

Just please dont bring in Clarett..he'll do us no good this year..

Prosdo
08-29-2005, 04:41 PM
Another bad thing about this: It lets headline writers and broadcasters talk about The Bus "having a flat tire" or "needing a tune-up" or being "parked in the garage."

It's always so original! ....sigh...

Yeah I'm so sick of hearing that crap. Look at him last year. So much for that flat tire then huh? lol

BlitzburghRockCity
08-30-2005, 08:47 PM
http://steelers.scout.com/2/431456.html

PITTSBURGH ? Jerome Bettis thought the worst as he limped off the Washington Redskins? field last Friday night. He saw his career flash before him.

So did veteran Steelers fans. They watched Bettis trudge to the sidelines and were reminded of Jack Lambert?s farewell during the 1984 opener.

?Did Lambert hurt his Achilles??? Bettis asked reporters.

Lambert injured his big toe that day, then limped off the field and never played again. It?s an indelible image for some Steelers fans, and Bettis, for a few moments, thought he might be done as well.

?I thought it might be my Achilles? tendon,? Bettis said. ?And when I got to the bench the trainers right away thought it was my Achilles?. I was worried there for a bit. I hear that?s how a lot of Achilles? injuries happen, by just taking a step. I thought it was over.?

But upon further examination, doctors labeled the injury a simple calf strain. Bettis expects to be back on the field soon.

?I thought it could?ve been pretty serious because I felt some pain in there,? Bettis said. ?But as these days have gone, it?s felt progressively better. That?s definitely a good sign.?

Right now, Bettis is day-to-day, and on Monday coach Bill Cowher listed him as doubtful for the Sept. 11 opener. If Bettis can?t play, he?ll be replaced by Willie Parker, who would make his first NFL start.

Bettis joked that he?s unsure of how fast he?ll recover because ?I haven?t had many pulls in my career because my muscles don?t go that fast.?

He?s able to joke now, but he wasn?t in a joking mood then.

?It was kind of scary because it was just out of nowhere, a feeling you?ve never felt before, so it?s pretty weird. It?s just something I?ve got to fight through. It?s not what you wanted to happen, but the way I look at it, it could?ve been a lot worse.?

Bettis said he wants to play in the opener, but only because ?I?m a football player; I get paid to play football games.? Otherwise, Bettis isn?t worried about how well his replacement would play.

?Speed. Willie is speed,? Bettis said. ?But he?s a good running back, he?s not just speed. You see him pounding it up inside between the tackles; he?s a complete running back.

?I?m just excited to see these guys get ready for a game. I?ve been really trying to get these guys ready in that mold, so it?s interesting to see how my work will come out just in terms of the preparation they did.?

Has Parker become his pet project?

?The coaches are doing a great job with that,? Bettis said. ?My job is to give him a little bit of the nuances of what he?s going to see, some of the pre-snap reads and just some small things that give him an opportunity to be successful; just kind of ease that anxiety level as well.?