PDA

View Full Version : NFL Rule Changes/Points Of Emphasis

Livinginthe past
03-28-2007, 07:26 AM
Rick McKay, a co-chairman of the competition committee, announced two new rule changes today:

1) Instant replay is permanent, with all stadiums to be updated with high definition equipment.

2) Assistant coaches of playoff teams interviewing for head coaching jobs now have an additional window in the "bye" week before a Super Bowl for a second interview.

McKay noted that the rule allowing a defensive player to wear a headset was rejected.

Also, the 49ers withdrew their proposal to make defensive pass interference a 15-yard penalty unless it was flagrant.

McKay said a handful of other rules will be voted on Wednesday.

Instant replay passed 30-2, with the Bengals and Cardinals voting against it.

Whats the deal with the Bengals voting against everything?

NFL Director of Officiating Mike Pereira reviewed some points of emphasis for officials Tuesday.

One point of emphasis in 2007 will be that officials should not call roughing-the-passer penalties when the defender has his arms extended and makes minimal contact with the quarterback. Pereira’s feeling was that too many touch roughing-the-passer calls were made in 2006.

But the overall roughing-the-passer penalties in the NFL were reduced from 127 to 106 last season.

The league will also continue with its point of emphasis on illegal contact by defenders. The number of illegal contact penalties were down from 162 to 121 last season.

I think this 'point of emphasis' will come as a huge relief to most fans - the light, incidental brushing of the QB's helmet should never be a penalty.

Unless its Tom Brady.

Then it should be punished by a 15 yard penalty and an unplanned pregnancy (not reviewable).

PisnNapalm
03-28-2007, 10:09 AM
Finally some FOOTBALL news!

The Bengals also voted against the new revenue sharing proposal. Go figure that one out.

I like instant replay. Anything that helps the refs get it right even if it goes against my team. However... As we saw in the playoff game against the Colts 2 years ago, even with replay the refs can blow an obvious call. Still.... I feel replay is needed to help get most of the calls right.

The coaching interview rule .... ehhh whatever.

As for roughing the passer... Maybe Ben can change his last name to Brady. Then he'd get the calls too rather than concussions.

polamalufan43
03-28-2007, 05:08 PM
I get the roughing the passer thing, and am happy about the instant replay change.

~Polamalufan43:tt02: