PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin's Aggressiveness Shows Up At Every Turn

alittlejazzbird
03-28-2007, 09:27 AM
Loved this article....

Tomlin's aggressiveness shows up at every turn
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

PHOENIX -- He preaches aggressiveness, and this week Mike Tomlin showed just what that might mean in his new job as the Steelers' head coach.

USAirways, Tomlin said, lost the bag he checked on his direct flight to the NFL meetings in Phoenix from Pittsburgh and gave him the run-around since that occurred Saturday night. Sunday, he was told his bag was in Phoenix and would be delivered to his hotel within four hours. He waited; no bags. He called, again and again.

Monday, Tomlin rode to the airport "to dig it out myself."

"I get over there, and they tell me the bag is not there," Tomlin was saying at breakfast yesterday morning. "I said, 'I've been talking to your call center all weekend, and they said the bag is here.'

"They said, 'I don't care what they told you on the 1-800 number, your bag isn't here.' "

He was offered a $25 voucher on his next flight for his troubles.

"Well, somewhere during the conversation, I see my bag behind her in a pile," Tomlin said. "I said, 'That's my bag!' She said, 'Sir, your bag's not here, the computer says'... I said 'I understand what the computer says, but I'm looking at my bag! It's a black bag, Pittsburgh Steelers. It's my bag.'

"So, I walk around the counter and at that point, she started to get mad. I pulled the tag off and showed her it was my bag. I had to dig it out myself."

Tomlin related that story to a handful of writers gathered around him yesterday as the morning sun popped up in the desert. Perhaps, he did not mean it to be that way, but the narrative served to portray his approach to his job as Steelers coach. He wants to be aggressive, something he has repeated many times since his arrival here.

He also began revealing his plans for the Steelers in 2007 and what he thinks of some of his players. Yesterday, for instance, he publicly committed for the first time to staying with a 3-4 as his base defense next season.

"I know what it does to offenses, I really do," Tomlin said. "It's all about the personnel you have. We have the best 3-4 people in the world, I think. That's what we're going to do."

The more Tomlin looked at the way the Steelers played the 3-4, the more it convinced him to stick with it under coordinator Dick LeBeau rather than try to convert to a 4-3 Tampa 2, the type he coached with the Buccaneers and the Minnesota Vikings.

"To me, I was excited because I came into this league, a mecca, if you will, for the 4-3 defense in the Tampa 2, working with Tony Dungy and Monte Kiffin," Tomlin said. "Now, I'm working every day with what I believe to be the mecca for a 3-4. If you look at my growth development as a coach, man, it doesn't get any better than that. To be around Monte Kiffin and Dick LeBeau, I think you guys will agree with that. It doesn't get any better than that."

The most unsettled position on his Steelers defense may be at cornerback, where Ike Taylor has attracted much of the new coach's attention. Taylor, who signed a fat contract extension before the season began, was benched by coach Bill Cowher midway through it. One of Tomlin's big jobs is to salvage him.

"He's big, he's physical, he's fast. That's what I look at," Tomlin said. "What specifically happened last year in terms of his play, it's irrelevant to me.

"He's capable of a lot. He's capable of being a dominant player, and it's important that he embraces that as we move forward. I know that maybe he's disappointed in how he performed last year. Hopefully, that's fuel for him as we approach this year. ... I know he has the physical tools to be an elite corner. Our job and his job is to make sure that happens."

The mirror of that position on offense comes at wide receiver and whether or not the Steelers have the kind of talent at the position to make defenses respect their passing game.

"There are some questions there," Tomlin said. "It's a big year for Santonio [Holmes], of what kind of player he's going to be. He and I have talked quite a bit about that. That jump a player makes from his rookie year to his second year is critical in terms of what kind of career he's going to have. He's made some plays, he's had some success. He needs to move forward.

"I think some of the things that Nate Washington is capable of has been evident, studying the tape. He needs to move forward.

"I like what the group is capable of being. Satisfied? No. Until you get to know me, you'll realize that very rarely am I satisfied. At the same time, I'm not negative."

There also are the ongoing questions about Ben Roethlisberger and Tomlin's emerging relationship with his quarterback.

"He's a unique guy," Tomlin said. "He's in the building, he's taking an active part in the development of the playbook. He's working well with" coordinator Bruce Arians and quarterbacks coach Ken Anderson.

"I studied the personality types in this game and you know a guy who is uniquely talented like him, a competitor, a ridiculous competitor, a very prideful guy. I haven't been surprised in my reactions to him in terms of maybe what I thought him to be in a personality standpoint."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/pp/07087/772998.stm

Counselor
03-28-2007, 09:32 AM
Looks like US Airways strikes again! so typical.

What do you guys think about Tomlin's comments on Ben? Sounds like Tomlin's opinion of him has changed (and improved?)

alittlejazzbird
03-28-2007, 09:39 AM
Looks like US Airways strikes again! so typical.

What do you guys think about Tomlin's comments on Ben? Sounds like Tomlin's opinion of him has changed (and improved?)

Don't even get me started on US Airways...trying to get from Newark to Pittsburgh, oy, what a mess. I'm strictly a Continental flyer Newark-Pittsburgh now...still not great, but definitely fewer problems.

Regarding Tomlin's comments on Ben, I'm not sure that anything has improved, per se. I think the relationship is growing and developing, just as Tomlin said it would in his earliest interviews. He came in with no preconceived ideas about his players and vowed to make his own judgments based on the experiences he has with them. Sounds to me like he's pleased with Ben's work, but as he said, Ben's personality "type" is pretty much what he thought, and he meant that as a big positive.

atrus20
03-28-2007, 09:53 AM
The more I hear about Tomlin and how he handles things the more I understand why he was hired. This guy has a great amount of passion and doesn't take crap from anyone. I hope he is able to make this team turn around from last year's disappointments.

tony hipchest
03-28-2007, 09:58 AM
and another great article (kinda long):

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/rss/s_499908.html

TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, March 28, 2007

PHOENIX - Mike Tomlin and Dick LeBeau do not see eye-to-eye, and LeBeau's 3-4 defense will eventually move from Heinz Field to the bottom of the Allegheny River.
Oh, and when Tomlin returns to Pittsburgh from the NFL owners meetings, he plans on mailing copies of the Steelers' playbook to the Baltimore Ravens, Cleveland Browns and Cincinnati Bengals.

Tomlin said Tuesday at the NFL owners meetings that he is pleasantly surprised at not only how well he and the Steelers' defensive coordinator have worked together, but also at how similar they are when it comes to a most important subject in Pittsburgh: how to play stingy, teeth-rattling defense.

"I think if you look at the Minnesota tapes from last year and the Pittsburgh tapes, I think you'll find similar playing personalities," said Tomlin, who was the Vikings' defensive coordinator in 2006. "I didn't know that going in (to the Steelers job). It's becoming clearer and clearer to me every day. It's awesome, too good to be true."

Tomlin and LeBeau, who have watched plenty of game film together, have subscribed to different means in producing the kind of attacking style that both seem to favor.

Buzz05
03-28-2007, 10:40 AM
Everytime he has an interview he comes out looking more and more like the right man for the job. I am ready for the season already just to see what he can do. The LeBeau-Tomlin Defense could be scary good...

moedap
03-28-2007, 11:02 AM
I really like what I hear from Tomlin. I believe he is going to be a better X's and O's coach than Cowher(had Cowher been a better X's and O's coach he would have 5 Superbowl rings). I hope he at least comes close to Cowher in the motivation and mentoring aspects(I believe most of the players would have taken a bullet for Cowher).

RoethlisBURGHer
03-28-2007, 11:14 AM
I really like what I hear from Tomlin. I believe he is going to be a better X's and O's coach than Cowher(had Cowher been a better X's and O's coach he would have 5 Superbowl rings). I hope he at least comes close to Cowher in the motivation and mentoring aspects(I believe most of the players would have taken a bullet for Cowher).

I agree with that 100%.He'll put the team in the right position to win in the playoffs.I think Tomlin will be able to do what Cowher couldn't...beat Bellichcik and the Patriots in the playoffs.

I think most of the players would have taken a bullit for Cowher also.And I think once the team gets to know Tomlin,he'll get the same respect from most of his players.The ones who stay loyal to men no longer with the team (Cowher,Whisenhut,Grimm,etc.) I think will find themselves as free agents or traded.

Counselor
03-28-2007, 11:18 AM
I believe most of the players would have taken a bullet for Cowher.

You know, I don't know that many would have taken a bullet for Cowher---except maybe Joey Porter. But Cowher was exceptional at creating a locker room atmosphere where players were ready to take bullets for each other--to me thats the most important thing. I really have no doubt Tomlin will beable to do the same in his own way.

coachspeak33
03-28-2007, 11:23 AM
Tomlin has gotta love life right now....there is so much talent on this football team....he has the opportunity to start his HC'ing career as a winner...much like Mr. Chinny Chin-Chin.

Its gotta be nice for a defensive minded coach to walk into his office on day 1 and say to himself:

"Well, I have Troy Polamalu and Casey Hampton. What do I want to do defensively? Hmmmmm"

How bout what ever the hell you want Coach!!!!!!!

GO GET EM!!!!

Livinginthe past
03-28-2007, 11:28 AM
I agree with that 100%.He'll put the team in the right position to win in the playoffs.I think Tomlin will be able to do what Cowher couldn't...beat Bellichcik and the Patriots in the playoffs.

Based on what exactly?

I don't see any hard evidence of Tomlin being able to get the Steelers to the playoffs, let alone outcoach Belichick.

Im not saying Tomlin definitely wont or can't do it, but seeing as he hasn't even been a HC for a preseason game i'd say you were jumping the gun a little.

Atlanta Dan
03-28-2007, 11:31 AM
I also am impressed with what I read about Tomlin and would expect nothing else - we are obviously still in the honeymoon phase. These articles are very uplifting but it will not mean a thing if the 2007 Steelers miss the playoffs; lets see how much goodwill Tomlin's triumph over the US Airways baggage handling dept. will continue to generate if that occurs.

I know the writers need to submit "human interest" stories in the offseason but if I was attending my first league meeting I would hope to have better things to do with my time than waste several hours sorting through luggage at the airport. Not exactly CEO quality time management skills.

TackleMeBen
03-28-2007, 11:32 AM
I hope that his aggressiveness shows up on the field and we kick major butt this year!

Atlanta Dan
03-28-2007, 11:35 AM
Based on what exactly?

I don't see any hard evidence of Tomlin being able to get the Steelers to the playoffs, let alone outcoach Belichick.

Im not saying Tomlin definitely wont or can't do it, but seeing as he hasn't even been a HC for a preseason game i'd say you were jumping the gun a little.

I agree there is no hard evidence that Tomlin will or, for that matter, will not have a successful first season.

I do know Tomlin's situation is not like working in Washington, Oakland, or Dallas, and that he will be given every opportunity to prove himself by the Ronnneys.

tony hipchest
03-28-2007, 11:36 AM
Based on what exactly?

overrated. tomlin has got to get the youthful steelers offense to defeat the aging patriots defense. the game will be won on the field, not between headsets.

young rookie head coaches have done well recently. i dont see any hard evidence saying tomlin wont do the same. the steelers are leaps and bounds above the jets and saints. even the "mighty" patriots had a superbowl hangover. dont forget that.

ExtonSteelFan
03-28-2007, 11:42 AM
Based on what exactly?

He's saying what he "thinks" will happen. The bottom line is, no one is 100% sure of what Tomlin is capable of doing until this team is in the thick of things come the '07 season. So far though, I "think" we have an idea.

RoethlisBURGHer
03-28-2007, 11:47 AM
Based on what exactly?

Cowher went from ST Coordinator to HC,not much X's and O's there.Tomlin seems to be an X's and O's guy,and he can have the guys in place to make the play.Cowher got guys fired up and could coach the basics,but I never saw him as an X's and O's type coach,like Bellichick is.

Livinginthe past
03-28-2007, 11:52 AM
He's saying what he "thinks" will happen. The bottom line is, no one is 100% sure of what Tomlin is capable of doing until this team is in the thick of things come the '07 season. So far though, I "think" we have an idea.

I see that.

But in reality coaches don't win games by appearing impressive in interviews.

Livinginthe past
03-28-2007, 11:53 AM
Cowher went from ST Coordinator to HC,not much X's and O's there.Tomlin seems to be an X's and O's guy,and he can have the guys in place to make the play.Cowher got guys fired up and could coach the basics,but I never saw him as an X's and O's type coach,like Bellichick is.

I think thats probably fair.

Cowher was a real motivator of people but not so hot at the intricacies of game planning on the fly.

We'll see how they match up - I have a weird premonition that it will be Steleers v Patriots in week 4 or 5.

Livinginthe past
03-28-2007, 11:55 AM
I agree there is no hard evidence that Tomlin will or, for that matter, will not have a successful first season.

I do know Tomlin's situation is not like working in Washington, Oakland, or Dallas, and that he will be given every opportunity to prove himself by the Ronnneys.

Agreed.

Pittsburgh has to be one of the most favorable locations for a new HC to take charge - owners with rare patience, a talented roster and a loyal fanbase.

RoethlisBURGHer
03-28-2007, 11:56 AM
I think thats probably fair.

Cowher was a real motivator of people but not so hot at the intricacies of game planning on the fly.

We'll see how they match up - I have a weird premonition that it will be Steleers v Patriots in week 4 or 5.

Steelers v. Patriots will be a helluva game!

Livinginthe past
03-28-2007, 11:57 AM
Steelers v. Patriots will be a helluva game!

You bet it will.

Its one of the ones I look forward to the most - right up there with Patriots/Colts.

RoethlisBURGHer
03-28-2007, 12:11 PM
You bet it will.

Its one of the ones I look forward to the most - right up there with Patriots/Colts.

Steeler games I look forward to:

Both games vs. Ravens-They kicked our ass twice last year...lets get some payback.

Both games vs. Bengals-Carson thinks they are the better team,well F%# THE BUNGALS!

Both games vs. Cleveland-I always go to the one in Cleveland and I live around Clowns fans,so these two days are two of my favorite every year.

Steelers @ Patriots-I don't ever remember us playing the Pats in New England,so this should be interesting.

Steelers vs. Seahawks-Mike Holmgren and the Seattle fans are still bitching and moaning over the SB XL loss,time to shut them up for good with a complete ass whooping.

Steelers @ Cardinals-Time to face the former offensive coordinator.You know Whisenhut wants to win this game,so lets beat him.

Steelers vs. Dolphins-Porter comes back to Pittsburgh.I know he'llg et a standing ovation when getting introduced.He'll want to make the Steelers regret releasing him.

tony hipchest
03-28-2007, 12:26 PM
tomlins defense sucked last year vs. the pats. he better get that shit ironed out. (granted steelers have better defensive talent than the vikings)

Atlanta Dan
03-28-2007, 12:44 PM
Steeler games I look forward to:

Steelers @ Patriots-I don't ever remember us playing the Pats in New England,so this should be interesting.

Steelers lost in 1996 playoffs blowout in the fog, won in late 1997 regular season comeback, and lost in 2002 regular season Monday night opener that exposed to the entire league the inability of Flowers, Scott, and Washington to cover anyone when Brady/Weiss threw on virtually every down.

Livinginthe past
03-28-2007, 12:50 PM
tomlins defense sucked last year vs. the pats. he better get that shit ironed out. (granted steelers have better defensive talent than the vikings)

They did get exposed as a one dimensional run stopping D.

Practically everything they do and all their personell is designed to stuff the run - look at the size of those Williams guys in the middle of their D-line.

Problem is, they have no mobility to cope with a quick fire passing game.

Tomlin will be relatively spoilt for defensive talent now that he is HC of playoff caliber AFC team - it also helps that his offense doesnt totally suck like it did in Minny.

steelerbackr4life
03-28-2007, 01:31 PM
Tomlin will be relatively spoilt for defensive talent now that he is HC of playoff caliber AFC team - it also helps that his offense doesnt totally suck like it did in Minny.

Sorry LITP but could you please explain to this kid from jersey of the point you were trying to make with the use of the the above bold texted quoted word? Sometimes english from across the pond is hard.

Livinginthe past
03-28-2007, 01:36 PM
Sorry LITP but could you please explain to this kid from jersey of the point you were trying to make with the use of the the above bold texted quoted word? Sometimes english from across the pond is hard.

Hey no problem...when in Rome...eh :wink02:

Spoilt (or spoiled) for choice just means that he will have alot more, higher quality personell to choose from in Pittsburgh.

Preacher
03-28-2007, 01:40 PM
They did get exposed as a one dimensional run stopping D.

Practically everything they do and all their personell is designed to stuff the run - look at the size of those Williams guys in the middle of their D-line.

Problem is, they have no mobility to cope with a quick fire passing game.

Mobility isn't the problem LITP.. Steelers consistently have had linebackers that, as one article put it, "Run Like Deer." The problem is scheming. With a Zone Blitz scheme, the CB's HAVE to play back off the receivers so they can cover all thier responsibilities. When that happens, a OC can design plays to run up the seems for 3 and 4 yard quick outs. That is what happened in the SB with Seattle, and why they almost beat us. It is the one true weakness in teh zone blitz, and one that TOmlin needs to fix in LeBeau's D.

steelerbackr4life
03-28-2007, 01:40 PM
Hey no problem...when in Rome...eh :wink02:

Spoilt (or spoiled) for choice just means that he will have alot more, higher quality personell to choose from in Pittsburgh.
I thought that is what you were saying just wasnt reading it that way thanks for the UK slang lesson. :thumbsup:

Livinginthe past
03-28-2007, 01:58 PM
Mobility isn't the problem LITP.. Steelers consistently have had linebackers that, as one article put it, "Run Like Deer." The problem is scheming. With a Zone Blitz scheme, the CB's HAVE to play back off the receivers so they can cover all thier responsibilities. When that happens, a OC can design plays to run up the seems for 3 and 4 yard quick outs. That is what happened in the SB with Seattle, and why they almost beat us. It is the one true weakness in teh zone blitz, and one that TOmlin needs to fix in LeBeau's D.

Thats a good point about the schemes.

I still think that the Minnesota starters were geared up for run stopping duty and not much else - Pittsburgh has always appeared to have athletes in the LBer corps who are capable of playing differently depending on the game situation.

I really think the importance of a decent offensive production shouldn't be under valued when discussing effective D - when you are trailing its very frustrating watching the opposition consistently pick up 5/6 yeard gains - when you have a lead it doesn't seem quite so bad.

Its alot of the reason I think the Ravens have had some of the best defenses in recent history in the last 5 years - no offense...no help.

steelerbackr4life
03-28-2007, 02:08 PM
Thats a good point about the schemes.

I still think that the Minnesota starters were geared up for run stopping duty and not much else - Pittsburgh has always appeared to have athletes in the LBer corps who are capable of playing differently depending on the game situation.

I really think the importance of a decent offensive production shouldn't be under valued when discussing effective D - when you are trailing its very frustrating watching the opposition consistently pick up 5/6 yeard gains - when you have a lead it doesn't seem quite so bad.

Its alot of the reason I think the Ravens have had some of the best defenses in recent history in the last 5 years - no offense...no help.

Good point. I think that when the D doesnt put the offense in a long gain situation that it is easier to not only make the 5/6 yard gains but make them game changing.

It is easier to let the cbs sit back in their covering responsibilities when the offense is looking at a 3rd or 2nd and long situation as opposed to a short situation with either down. Alot of the Lebeau scheme is predicated on putting the advesary into a position that leaves them prone to blitzes thus making a bad situation worse.

Edman
03-28-2007, 03:48 PM
I personally look forward to the following games...

Seattle- A rematch of Super Bowl XL...In Pittsburgh. I want the Steelers to crush them so their whiny fans cry again. I'm sure if we beat them again they'll come up with more "we were jobbed" excuses.

Arizona- Steelers vs. Steelers West. Whiz vs. the Tomlinator.

Jacksonville- Games vs. the Jagoffs were always fun dating back in the old AFC Central days. Plus they whooped us last year. Time to get some payback.

Both games vs. Baltimore- If Tomlin wants to truly win the praise of ALL Steeler fans, It's Steelers' revenge on Craptimore and their fans. Last year they were unbearable. I want those stupid purple crapbirds destroyed. Plus this game will show us how these new Tomlin-led Steelers fare against serious competition.

Cincy- Beating up on Carson Pansie and the Bungles is always fun.

New England- Imagine the buildup and war of words between LITP and Steeler fans on this board. I expect Hardwork to rear his ugly head again.

Miami- Joey Porter's return to Pittsburgh as a Dolphin.

TackleMeBen
03-28-2007, 04:33 PM
I am looking forward to the jet game.. just so i can bust my sister's chops.. she loves pennington.

polamalufan43
03-28-2007, 04:44 PM
Love it Love it Love it.

I hope he can help Ike and get him to move forward. He is one of the players I really want to do well this season. As for the airline, well, I think I speak for some when I say "Thank you for annoying them," but more importantly, "Good, this shows a possible agressive gameplan,"

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

P.S. And if my bag ever gets lost again at the airport I'll know who to call:sofunny:

SteelerFanInCA
03-28-2007, 04:46 PM
Nice job USAirways. :dang: :dang: :dang:

Gotta love Mike's aggressiveness. I'm looking forward to seeing what type of coaching style he brings to the sidelines.

Steelerstrength
03-28-2007, 06:29 PM
US Airways sucks hard! In the past, each time I flew them I regretted it. Lost luggage to getting bumped off of a flight even when I showed up to check-in over one hour prior to take-off! The dipshit behind the counter attempts to justify it by saying,"I've worked for three other airlines that all have the same policy. We over sell then it's first come first serve at check-in for a seat."

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the first season with the Tomlinator! Agressiveness and being Direct are a pre-requisite to being a HC! IMHO. :helmet:

tony hipchest
03-28-2007, 06:36 PM
so if tomlin didnt retrieve his own luggage would that have meant we wouldve had a "passive gameplan"? :hunch:

I see that.

But in reality coaches don't win games by appearing impressive in interviews. they win games by retrieving their own luggage.

Suitanim
03-28-2007, 07:21 PM
I like Tomlin's Chutzpah so far...what did the drill instructor in Full Metal Jacket say?

"He's got guts, and guts is enough"

coachspeak33
03-29-2007, 11:14 AM
Ahhhhhhh, you gotta love a steelers offseason. BIG NEWSFLASH - Tomlin is aggressive with luggage girl at airport...WOW

coachspeak33
03-29-2007, 11:17 AM
Pay attention closely as the local media in Pittsburgh attempts to create Steelers news as boredom amongst the steeler nation sets in

tony hipchest
03-29-2007, 11:57 AM
Pay attention closely as the local media in Pittsburgh attempts to create Steelers news as boredom amongst the steeler nation sets in

:chuckle:

i heard tomlin cut someone off in traffic w/o using his turn signal, so expect more gadget plays and shots down field.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-29-2007, 12:18 PM
:chuckle:

i heard tomlin cut someone off in traffic w/o using his turn signal, so expect more gadget plays and shots down field.

Tomlin was spotted in New York City a couple of weeks ago....can we expect the Statue of Liberty play to be a regular part of our gameplan?

tony hipchest
03-29-2007, 12:30 PM
Tomlin was spotted in New York City a couple of weeks ago....can we expect the Statue of Liberty play to be a regular part of our gameplan?just going to nyc alone shows his aggressiveness, so you can bank on it!

also, while in phoenix for the owners meetings, the coaches dined at a mexican food restraunt, for an enchilada luncheon. while most coaches opted for the mild green chile, tomlen went for the red. he's a definite risk taker.

Elvis
04-01-2007, 06:44 PM
The more I hear about Tomlin and how he handles things the more I understand why he was hired. This guy has a great amount of passion and doesn't take crap from anyone. I hope he is able to make this team turn around from last year's disappointments.
Great thread atrus...
I agree with ya and I loved this article about Tomlin myself. He does seem like a very passionate guy. And I just hope that it carries over into the upcoming regular season. I dont know about everyone else, but I am so looking forward to this upcoming season....
Keep your head up..Jesus is coming Soon
Elvis

NV STEELERS 723
04-01-2007, 07:53 PM
Checking bags with any airline sucks....you never know if your gonna get your bag...believe me, with my job I see some of the idiots that work on the ramp at McCarran Intl Airport....

You would think that since US Airways is a hub in Pittsburgh they would make sure Coach Tomlin's bag is safe and secure, and on that direct flight to Pheonix....

His story is funny, but it just kills me....

GO STEELERS !