PDA

View Full Version : Theismann Disses Steelers By Omission

SteelerXL
03-28-2007, 10:07 AM
Best organizations in the NFL?
By Joe Theismann

1. New England Patriots: The Patriots are an outstanding organization and that's because everything starts at the top. The quality of the players and the coaching staff and the professionalism of all the people in the organization are a result of what owner Robert Kraft does and how he handles the organization.

2. Denver Broncos: Another strong, smart owner and again the result is a strong franchise.

3. Dallas Cowboys: Even though he has taken some chances that I might not take as an owner, Jerry Jones does a great job. He wants his team to be the greatest every year and he'll do what he thinks it takes to make that happen.

4. Indianapolis Colts: This isn't just about winning this past Super Bowl. This is about sticking with a great coach when a lot of other organizations would have gone in a different direction.

5. Baltimore Ravens: Brian Billick has been here for a while and has a lot of control over his team's decisions, and his partnership with general manager Ozzie Newsome has produced a pretty consistent playoff contender.

Need I say more?

Livinginthe past
03-28-2007, 10:18 AM
Is there a link?

Im also going to put this in the NFL forum - if we put all the articles that didn't feature the Steelers in here...well...it would be a very busy sub-forum.

As far as missing the Steelers out goes, you are probably right - if you look hard enough you'll probably even find some writers who don't think the 76 Steelers were the best D ever.

If this is all the article consists of, then its a very poor effort - a schoolkid could probably do better.

A professional writer shouldn't make statements like "The Patriots are an outstanding organization and that's because everything starts at the top" and leave it at that.

Its just inane nonsense.

Borski
03-28-2007, 10:19 AM
WOW thats a terrible list

the only one that should say on that list is the Pats

Buzz05
03-28-2007, 10:27 AM
How are the Rat Birds on there...terrible list just terrible

Livinginthe past
03-28-2007, 10:28 AM

I think the Colts belong on there, they have been consistent regular season warriors for quite awhile now.

Im pretty sure they are a relativly small market team, too.

Theissman obviously owes Jerry Jones money - the Cowboys have been average for quite awhile now.

Baltimore draft well but have only made the postseason twice in the last 5 years (since the AFCN came into existence).

Bronco's are consistently good in regular season and deserve some props for that.

My own personal top5?

1. New England

2. Indianapolis

3. Pittsburgh

4. Philly

5. Denver

klick81
03-28-2007, 10:31 AM

As much as i dislike the pats, i gotta agree. What a half-assed list.

Borski
03-28-2007, 10:33 AM
Yeah, Indy should be on there as well, I'm not so sure about Philly or Denver though

ajs8207
03-28-2007, 10:42 AM
Theisman is an idiot who has always hated the Steelers for some reason. We all know were a top 5, if not top 3 franchise in the NFL

coachspeak33
03-28-2007, 10:45 AM
Theisman is an absolute joke...he is a total self promoter....always has been....always will be.
My dislike stems from an autobiography I read on him as a teenager...

in which he explained how he legally and officialy changed the pronunciation of his last name to "Thighs-man" instead of "Thees-man"....

so he would have a better chance at being forever remembered as a Notre Dame Heisman Trophy winning QB... (Get it? Thighs-man for the Heisman!!! Theesman didnt work to well)
Hey Joe, names and self promotion dont get you the Heisman and by the way, IF I WERE YOUR OLD MAN I WOULD KICK YOUR ASS!!!!!!!!!!

A complete tool who also is one of the charter members of the "Game Managing Super Bowl Winning QB's"...which isnt that bad of a club to be in when you think about it...but still his spot in the rankings of Super Bowl winning QB's find him near the names of Trent Dilfer and Jeff Hostetler

He also was apparently a horrendous teammate as well....when he lost his starting job in Washington, Joe Gibbs, one of the more well-respected coaches in the history of the game, would not even let "Theesman" near the team sidelines....

He was recently let go from his Monday Night Football duties and he will live out his current contract with ESPN writing on the .com and subbing on shows like NFL live...and judging from his article on the top 5 franchises in football he wont be writing much longer either

1. NE Pats- i have no problem with them at the top...and quite frankly neither should anyone else

2. Denver- definitely in the top 5, but No. 2? that is crazy for a franchise that can count playoff victories in the last 8-9 yrs on one hand.

3. Dallas- Well, when espn writes your checks you better be able to spit out some "America's Team" shit every once in a while....No. 3 in the league is crazy...For What!!!

4. Indy Colts- Supporters of this team feel very vindicated after finally getting over that SB hump after so many years of playoff failure....wait a minute...that sounds familar....possible letdown in 07/08....just ask the Chin about his overwhelming feeling of vindication and what it got him...No. 4 is a little high for a team with probably the best player in the league and division titles that were won at the expense of 3 not so impressive teams (Tenn, Hou, Jax) in a "not-so-impressive" division.

5. Balt Birdies- Talent, Talent, Talent....maybe more talent on their roster than any other in the league...but way too many underachieving years since their SB victory...how many playoff victories in the last 5 yrs? Not enough to be ranked at No. 5. And come on...Brian Billick??? Top ten on talent alone...but they dont belong in top 5

My Top 5
1. NE
2. Pitt
3. Den
4. Philly
5. Indy

Buzz05
03-28-2007, 10:47 AM
Im really surprised his beloved Skins arent on there. The Ravens are probably only on there is because he is a well known figure in the DC-Baltimore area and kisses Ravens rears.

The Ravens do draft well, Ill give them that, Ozzy is a good GM and everything I have heard about the new Owner Steve Biscotti is positive. But no way are they about Pittsburgh..I would put the Eagles above them easily

RoethlisBURGHer
03-28-2007, 10:55 AM
Okay,the Steelers have had three coaches since 1969,that's 38 years.Talk about stability.

In those 38 years the Steelers won 5 Super Bowl Championships.

And somehow the Baltimore Ravens,Dallas Cowboys,Indianapolis Colts,and Denver Broncos are ahead of us on Theismann's list?

Baltimore Ravens,aren't they the team that ripped the heart out of Cleveland?Aren't they the team that has a murderer as thier star MLB?Wasn't Brian Billick on the hotseat a year ago?They have made the playoffs a total of what,three or four times in thier HISTORY?I'll agree that thier GM is one helluva GM...but his team's haven't produced much.

The Dallas Cowboys are better run orginization that the Pittsburgh Steelers?You gotta be shittin me.Jerry Jones is one of the most meddling owners ever,he's second only to Al Davis.He fired Jimmy Johnson due to his own ego,and did the same to Tom Landry,only the greatest coach in Cowboys history.He basicly forced Parcells to retire when he decided to keep team cancer Terell Owens (who has BO by the way).

I understand the Colts being on the list,they have stuck with Dungy when most owners (like the guy that own the Buccaneers) would have fired him.They let defensive players leave and restock enough to make the playoffs,and just won a Super Bowl with the worst run defense in the NFL.They deserve to be on the list,but not as much as the Steelers.

The Denver Broncos have only won one playoff game since John Elway retired.I don't think the current ownership group and GM were around when Elway was drafted,they inherited his greatness.Shannahan doesn't look like the same offensive genius without Elway.They did stick with him though when most coaches wouldn't have.

The New England Patriots won three Super Bowls with Tom Brady at QB and Bellichick as the coach.Tom Brady was a lucky pick for them,he was drafted in the 6th round and nobody ever felt he'd be this good,a career backup.Don't tell me that the Patriots FO knew Brady would be this good and nobody else did,they got lucky with him.If it wasn't for Brady the Patriots probally would have 0 Super Bowls and Bellicheck wouldn't be coaching there anymore.I also love how everything they have done is lauded as "The Patriot Way" when the Steelers have been doing things the exact same way for many more years.Oh yeah,also,Bellichick is a reall classy,quality,professional man when he can't give the Colts the respect they deserved after the AFCCG,and snubbing Mangini at midfield after losing to him in the regular season...only to shake his hand after beating Mangini in the playoffs.Shades of Mike Holmgren after SB XL.

coachspeak33
03-28-2007, 11:11 AM
there is a big difference between the Patriot way and the steeler way in the last 7-8 seasons...Lombardi Trophies....3 to 1

Bellichick may be a dick but he wins...21 in a row will not be duplicated for a while

How about the bottom five
32. Oakland
31. Detroit
30. Cleveland
29. Houston
28. Miami

Other possibilities- Minn, SF, Buff, TB

The bottom 5 is actually a harder list to make

Livinginthe past
03-28-2007, 11:22 AM
there is a big difference between the Patriot way and the steeler way in the last 7-8 seasons...Lombardi Trophies....3 to 1

Bellichick may be a dick but he wins...21 in a row will not be duplicated for a while

32. Oakland
31. Detroit
30. Cleveland
29. Houston
28. Miami

Nice idea, lets see.

My bottom 5 would be:

32. Detroit
31. Cleveland
30. Houston
29. Arizona
28. Oakland (at least they made a SB in the last 5 years)

RoethlisBURGHer
03-28-2007, 11:39 AM

Actually,the only difference is the Lombardi Trophy count.And if Cowher was more of an X's and O's type coach,he'd have at least three,if not more,Super Bowl wins.

The Steelers don't play big in free agency,and neither did the Patriots until this year.Both teams would rather draft thier core and pay to keep thier own players rather than sign the biggest-named,highest-dollar free agents on the market.

Both kept thier coaches isntead of firing them.You could have made a case for firing Bellichick after they failed to make the playoffs after winning thier first Super Bowl.You could have made a case for firing Cowher after losing all those AFCCG's and Super Bowl XXX.

DarkRaven
03-28-2007, 01:47 PM
Well, I would have to agree the Steelers were burned on this one. I think the Eagles should definitely be on the list as well. These two teams overall have done an outstanding job with being competitive every year. Don't take media opinion articles so seriously.

As for the Ravens, I think he is reasoning for adding them into the top 5 is strickly because of Ozzie and Steve Biscotti. As long as those guys stay in office, they will always find guys like Adalius Thomas in the 6th round. They draft well and they strive to be competitive to keep up with the Steelers who have owned the AFCN lately. (I think I threw up in my mouth). :dang: But seriously, Theisman isn't alone in his opinion about the Ravens front office.

DarkRaven
03-28-2007, 01:51 PM
I think the Colts belong on there, they have been consistent regular season warriors for quite awhile now.

Im pretty sure they are a relativly small market team, too.

Theissman obviously owes Jerry Jones money - the Cowboys have been average for quite awhile now.

Baltimore draft well but have only made the postseason twice in the last 5 years (since the AFCN came into existence).

Bronco's are consistently good in regular season and deserve some props for that.

My own personal top5?

1. New England

2. Indianapolis

3. Pittsburgh

4. Philly

5. Denver

Actually, the Ravens made the post-season 4 times. Nevermind, I read the last part about since the AFCN came into existence. My bad. :dang:

DarkRaven
03-28-2007, 01:59 PM
Okay,the Steelers have had three coaches since 1969,that's 38 years.Talk about stability.

In those 38 years the Steelers won 5 Super Bowl Championships.

And somehow the Baltimore Ravens,Dallas Cowboys,Indianapolis Colts,and Denver Broncos are ahead of us on Theismann's list?

Baltimore Ravens,aren't they the team that ripped the heart out of Cleveland?Aren't they the team that has a murderer as thier star MLB?Wasn't Brian Billick on the hotseat a year ago?They have made the playoffs a total of what,three or four times in thier HISTORY?I'll agree that thier GM is one helluva GM...but his team's haven't produced much.

The Dallas Cowboys are better run orginization that the Pittsburgh Steelers?You gotta be shittin me.Jerry Jones is one of the most meddling owners ever,he's second only to Al Davis.He fired Jimmy Johnson due to his own ego,and did the same to Tom Landry,only the greatest coach in Cowboys history.He basicly forced Parcells to retire when he decided to keep team cancer Terell Owens (who has BO by the way).

I understand the Colts being on the list,they have stuck with Dungy when most owners (like the guy that own the Buccaneers) would have fired him.They let defensive players leave and restock enough to make the playoffs,and just won a Super Bowl with the worst run defense in the NFL.They deserve to be on the list,but not as much as the Steelers.

The Denver Broncos have only won one playoff game since John Elway retired.I don't think the current ownership group and GM were around when Elway was drafted,they inherited his greatness.Shannahan doesn't look like the same offensive genius without Elway.They did stick with him though when most coaches wouldn't have.

The New England Patriots won three Super Bowls with Tom Brady at QB and Bellichick as the coach.Tom Brady was a lucky pick for them,he was drafted in the 6th round and nobody ever felt he'd be this good,a career backup.Don't tell me that the Patriots FO knew Brady would be this good and nobody else did,they got lucky with him.If it wasn't for Brady the Patriots probally would have 0 Super Bowls and Bellicheck wouldn't be coaching there anymore.I also love how everything they have done is lauded as "The Patriot Way" when the Steelers have been doing things the exact same way for many more years.Oh yeah,also,Bellichick is a reall classy,quality,professional man when he can't give the Colts the respect they deserved after the AFCCG,and snubbing Mangini at midfield after losing to him in the regular season...only to shake his hand after beating Mangini in the playoffs.Shades of Mike Holmgren after SB XL.

Ahh stop crying already about the move from Cleveland. I'm quite sure you wasn't standing in the pickett line begging to keep the Browns in Cleveland, so save it.

If your going to make that argument, then keep it consistent. The Colts have done the same thing, but they belong on the list because of Dungy? Come on now, Manning is the reason for that team's success. To win a SuperBowl in only 5 years of existence is a heck of an accomplishment and I will give any franchise that type of credit.

verks36
03-28-2007, 02:03 PM
Thisman hates the steelers idk why he just does. He puts the ravens ahead of us wtf.

We have been so stable that last past 40 years. Rarely ever changing coaches and never sighning the big name free agent yet always getting the job done. The last past decade we have made the AFC champ game countless number of times the only team that probbly has made it more are the pats and eagles i think. what percent of the season do we finish below 500. not that much

Top 5 Stable franchises past decade i guess

1. Pats (easy first)
2. Steelers ( come one we are always up there and in the hunt)
3. Eagles ( they made it 4 striaght years to title game that is constat)
4.Colts ( with payton u always have a chance to win)
5. Ravens ( i hate saying it but there defense every year is at the top)
maybe rams close 5th

bottom 5

1. Cardinals (when was the last time they won a playoff game)
2. Bills (havent been good one time playoff music city miracle)
3. 49ers ( one decent year when they had garcia and TO)
4. Saint ( besides this year they havent really done much
5. Raiders ( made superbowl with and granpa team and now they are paying the consquences)

Borski
03-28-2007, 02:18 PM
My Top 5

1 - Patriots
2 - Steelers
3 - Colts
4 - Ravens
5 - Eagles

Bottom 5

32 - Raiders
31 - Lions
30 - 49ers
29 - Texans
28 - Browns

SteelerFanInCA
03-28-2007, 04:58 PM
Pretty much everything that comes out of "one legged Theisman's" mouth is crap.

Edman
03-28-2007, 05:17 PM
New England makes sense.

Indy is kinda understandable.

Dallas makes little sense. They are a far cry from their glory years.

Denver is a good organization, but not among the tops of the league.

Having Baltimore and leaving the Steelers off the list is a damned joke and typical Theismann homerism. He's a Ravens butt-kisser. Yeah, they have a strong Defense, draft well, and have a good owner in Biscotti, but they have only had 4 winning seasons in 8 years under Billick and underachieved terribly with all that talent they have garnered over the recent years. Since their 2000 Super Bowl Championship...

1) 1-3 in playoff games.
2) Kyle Boller
3) Cycled through 5-6 different QB's
4) Posted a franchise-best 13-3 in 2006 and choked in the playoffs big time.
5) Won the AFC North in '03 and blew it in their first playoff game against the Titans.
6) Fielded Crappy to inconsistent offenses, each one getting worse and worse each year.

boLT fan
03-28-2007, 05:39 PM
You guys are leaving out some of the all-time great franchises there, including the two teams that have the most SB wins, along with Pittsburgh

1. San Fransisco
2. Dallas
3. Pittsburgh
4. Oakland
5. New England

I don't know if you guys are doing current or all-time, but those are definatly the all-time best five franchises.

Edman
03-28-2007, 05:53 PM

32. Oakland
31. Detroit
30. Cleveland
29. Houston
28. Miami

I hate the Clowns, but I think Houston should be below them. They have done NOTHING in their existance. Passing on Reggie Bush, Vince Young, and ignoring the O-Line issues for a for a risky D-Line Project at best is what sums up the "success" of the Texans franchise. At least Cleveland and Oakland have a history to look for. The Lions and Texans have nothing.

Suitanim
03-28-2007, 06:05 PM
Joe was rewarded for this little pearl of wisdom appropriately...he was fired.

verks36
03-28-2007, 07:15 PM
Joe was rewarded for this little pearl of wisdom appropriately...he was fired.

Ya was he covering games he always had no clue what he was talking about

Livinginthe past
03-28-2007, 07:38 PM
You guys are leaving out some of the all-time great franchises there, including the two teams that have the most SB wins, along with Pittsburgh

1. San Fransisco
2. Dallas
3. Pittsburgh
4. Oakland
5. New England

I don't know if you guys are doing current or all-time, but those are definatly the all-time best five franchises.

I think we are looking at the salary cap era mainly.

Suitanim
03-28-2007, 07:41 PM
All the more reason that San Fran should be there, since they invented manipulating the cap in order to win.

abgroove
03-29-2007, 07:13 AM
Isn't Thiesmann the same guy who said, "Football players aren't geniuses. Geniuses are guys like Norman Einstein."? Who cares what he says?

memphissteelergirl
03-29-2007, 10:20 AM
consider the source.
'nuff said.

Yeah...what he said.

X-Terminator
03-29-2007, 10:36 AM
Seriously, why in the world are any of you taking ANYTHING that joker says seriously? Just treat it like the self-absorbed, uneducated garbage that it is, ignore it, and move on.