PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin calls Ben a dog!

tony hipchest
03-29-2007, 10:22 AM
"You kind of like working with a dog that's been scalded a little," Tomlin said.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/rss/s_499909.html

Roethlisberger impressing new Steelers coach

By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, March 28, 2007

PHOENIX - Earlier this month, Ben Roethlisberger talked at length about how committed he was to turning things around after a miserable 2006 season.
Roethlisberger has made at least one believer in his quest to return to the form that made him one of the top young quarterbacks in the NFL, and it is rather a significant one.

"Ben has been a breath of fresh air," new Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said Tuesday at the NFL owners' meetings. "I love his attitude right now. He's focused. He's committed."

Getting Roethlisberger right had to be high atop Tomlin's to-do list after he took over as the Steelers' coach in late January.

Following a season in which he became the youngest quarterback to win a Super Bowl, Roethlisberger threw an NFL-high 23 interceptions and was consistently force-fed doses of humility.

His uneven play was a major reason why the Steelers finished 8-8 in 2006 and missed the playoffs.

"You kind of like working with a dog that's been scalded a little," Tomlin said.

Roethlisberger has admitted the change that has come with Tomlin's taking over the Steelers may be good for him.

While his off-the-field travails, which included a serious motorcycle accident in June, were fingered as a major culprit in his regression, Roethlisberger has largely blamed it on the risky throws he made because he had grown too comfortable in the Steelers' offense.

"I felt like I was learning the offense that much better, and because I was so comfortable, (I) got too carried away at times," Roethlisberger said while taking part in "Disney's ESPN The Weekend" festivities at the beginning of March.

He has a new offensive coordinator and a new position coach. As for his renewed drive, Tomlin attested to that.

"He knows what he's capable of, he knows the responsibilities that come with being who he is, and he's doing the things on a day-to-day basis," Tomlin said. "His actions are matching his words well."

(ok, pardon the overdramatic attention grabbing headline). so the truth is finally revealed- ben threw all the interceptions because he was TOO comfortable with the offense and knew it TOO well? :huh: :confused: maybe we dont want him studying more film and practicing more. :chuckle:

anyways before tomlin was hired ben was one who said he'd prefer an offensive coach who the team was familiar with. good to see him now admit that the change with tomlin taking over can be good for him, and embrace the change with open arms. to me it shows maturity and leadership.

MACH1
03-29-2007, 10:34 AM
LMAO

Theres a difference in being too comfy and just flat out making bone headed plays. I dont think brady or manning are to comfy in their O to make those kind of mistakes.

I think the change will be good for Ben, but only time will tell. :smile:

Atlanta Dan
03-29-2007, 10:40 AM
I think "too comfortable" with the offense is code for Ben had pretty much quit watching film or reading the playbook and Cowher/Whiz lost interest in trying to get him to behave differently.

Typical Steeler offensive series last year - Cowher stands on the sideline with arms folded and a blank stare on his face; Whiz would send in the play (was anyone else bothered when Ben would always look at that forearm length "wristband" to remember the play on even the first play of the game?); Ben would call whatever play Whiz sent in; and then Ben would get pancaked by whomever Starks was supposed to block or Ben would chuck it deep down the middle of the field for an INT.

steelerbackr4life
03-29-2007, 10:53 AM
I think "too comfortable" with the offense is code for Ben had pretty much quit watching film or reading the playbook and Cowher/Whiz lost interest in trying to get him to behave differently.

Typical Steeler offensive series last year - Cowher stands on the sideline with arms folded and a blank stare on his face; Whiz would send in the play (was anyone else bothered when Ben would always look at that forearm length "wristband" to remember the play on even the first play of the game?); Ben would call whatever play Whiz sent in; and then Ben would get pancaked by whomever Starks was supposed to block or Ben would chuck it deep down the middle of the field for an INT.

Just when I get that out of my mind you go and bring it back again! Come on April 2nd!

TackleMeBen
03-29-2007, 11:55 AM
LMAO

Theres a difference in being too comfy and just flat out making bone headed plays. I dont think brady or manning are to comfy in their O to make those kind of mistakes.

I think the change will be good for Ben, but only time will tell. :smile:

i agree. only time will tell.. and hopefully it will tell us that we have a genetic freak for qb that can kick butt and that our o-line has learned how to finally block.

Edman
03-29-2007, 01:02 PM
Wait? What?

Ah heck. I don't care what happens. Just make something happen and help Ben improve, Tomlinator! You too, Kenny Anderson! You're not working with an Akili Smith or David Klinger here, you have a legitimate QB with the tools, ability and the talent to be elite. Dang! This offseason is too slow! I miss the Steelers so much. And Pirate season is around the corner! Aggh!

Well,at most the Penguins are making noise. :smile:

polamalufan43
03-29-2007, 02:21 PM

This is a very good point. I think this might have happened as well. But at this point, who really knows. I guess the overall point is that was in the past, and if we dwell in the past too much we lose focus in the present and future.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

GBMelBlount
03-29-2007, 08:21 PM

Wow, could this be a revelation. I had afriend.....one of those stories....who knows Deshea Townsend and he said that Ben always screws around when everyone was supposed to be working out (weights, etc.) Not that most QB's are Brick S-houses. Anyway, maybe that translates to not watching film, playbook (lazy, complacent,etc....a little cheesy.):rofl: Ben is freakishly talented (If not damaged goods). Look at his high school, college & first 2 year pro stats (except super bowl.) I pray we can shore up the O-line this year and that Ben is fully recovered, focused and committed!!!!

BettisFan
03-29-2007, 08:26 PM
Ben needs to calm down in the pocket