PDA

View Full Version : Steelers interested in Clarett???

BB2W
08-29-2005, 05:18 PM
Denver Post
Maurice Clarett's unstoried Broncos career abruptly ended Sunday afternoon when he was called into coach Mike Shan- ahan's office and told of his pending release without playing in the preseason.

The pending release ends a national story that started in April when the Broncos shocked the NFL by drafting the controversial running back from Ohio State with the final pick of the third round.

Teams that may consider Clarett include Chicago, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, San Francisco, Cleveland, St. Louis and Dallas. The Rams and Cowboys considered taking him as early as the fourth round of the draft.

link..... http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_2981853

Chicago Sun
The Bears are one of four teams that might have interest in former Ohio State running back Maurice Clarett, who will be released by the Broncos today, a source in Denver said. The Steelers, Eagles and 49ers also are potential suitors.

link..... http://www.suntimes.com/output/bears/cst-spt-biggs29.html

Prosdo
08-29-2005, 05:24 PM
I could see why they are interested I guess. With Duce seeming to be nagged by injuries even more and Bettis near the end of his career. You also have Verron Haynes who always seems to be slightly banged up. I didn't think we would be looking at this moment, but I guess it caught their attention. (I thought picking up a RB wouldn't be till the offseason.)

SteelR1
08-29-2005, 05:28 PM
Things that make you go HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

BlitzburghRockCity
08-29-2005, 05:30 PM
From a RB standpoint, I could see them wanting to pick up someone else..but from personality standpoint and a work ethic.. NO WAY.

I was listening to ESPN radio this morning, Mark Schlereth covers the broncos and has had meetings w/ the coaches about maurice..they said he has the physical tools to be a 1st round pick and a starter, but emotionally he's not anywhere near ready.

clevestinks
08-29-2005, 05:33 PM
Wow , the ultimate team player. NOT. Say it isn`t so. We had this discussion before the draft and the majority of us were against it.

Prosdo
08-29-2005, 05:34 PM
I guess maybe they think they can turn him around. I don't know I really haven't heard much on this guy after the draft. If they go after him I guess we just have to trust them on it.

bengalsfan21
08-29-2005, 06:04 PM
I hope someone takes him and he starts, I took him with my 15th round in my keeper league...If he is as good as he was at Ohio State I will have him for life.

LambertIsGod58
08-29-2005, 06:06 PM
Clarett is garbage...He is another Lawrence Phillips. He's a bust. His attitude stood in his way.

SteelZeal
08-29-2005, 07:05 PM
Sorry, I don't believe it. This is just a case of people putting two and two together - he's released, we have RB injuries...doesn't mean it's true.

BB2W
08-29-2005, 09:51 PM
I could see the Steelers being interested before the draft, but after he falied in Denver you can't take him too seriously. I would think they would rather stick with Herron since he knows the offense and has practiced with the team. When you think about it Herron and Clarett are similar backs.... big, slow, shifty, quick, and somewhat elusive. When you consider the drama that follows Clarett, I would rather have Herron.....

Maybe there is a spot for him on the Practice Squad.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-29-2005, 11:15 PM
The last thing we need is a project, and we dont have enough people to babysit his immature ass.. sorry clarett, take ur whiney irresponsible attitude somewhere else.

clevestinks
08-30-2005, 04:33 AM
NFL Network reported last night, " That no team is interested" They beleive at best he will end up on a practice squad this season. Besides he would have to first clear waivers, then in draft order teams would have a chance, to pick him up.
Hey at least he grab the free education from OSU. LOL

Steel Fury
08-30-2005, 07:02 AM
this guy is a waste of time. I hope the Steelers would pass on him. There has to be other available backs out there. Could u imagine all the crap that he would bring with him. Nothing like watching Sportscenter and seeing his face on there for an arrest with the Steeler logo behind him. No thanks let him go flip burgers.

clevestinks
08-30-2005, 10:17 AM
Dante Brown was cut. Maybe we will try him again. The Steelers were always high om him.

RoethlisBURGHer
08-30-2005, 11:24 AM
Clarett will never wear the B&G.The Rooneys said in the draft that we weren't gonna draft him...why would we take him now after he washed out of BRONCOS camp?

LambertIsGod58
08-30-2005, 11:37 AM
Clarett is a second rate person not just second rate player....He's not even worth writing about. He deserves everything he's getting.

bigbensgirl7
08-30-2005, 11:41 AM
I agree...I don't want him and didn't before the draft either...I can't stand his attitude and his ethics...he would never fit in with the Steelers and their fans!

Avoid LLoyd1975
08-30-2005, 02:06 PM
Clarrett is a bum. He don't even rate to even speak of our team name.

Stlrs4Life
08-30-2005, 08:43 PM
Just say no to Clarrett!

atlsteelers
08-30-2005, 08:52 PM
is it the five O'Clock Free Crack Give Away?

Suitanim
08-31-2005, 05:01 PM
Excellent article that appeared in the Akron Beacon Journal today...if you think the Steelers should pick Clarett up, read this first...

http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/sports/12521252.htm

bengalsfan21
08-31-2005, 05:23 PM
Excellent article that appeared in the Akron Beacon Journal today...if you think the Steelers should pick Clarett up, read this first...

http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/sports/12521252.htm

Can you copy/paste, it is telling me to create an account before I can see the article.

Suitanim
08-31-2005, 05:43 PM
Posted on Wed, Aug. 31, 2005

Clarett needs new excuses after release

By Terry Pluto

Dear Maurice Clarett:

Whose fault is it this time?

Have you tried to answer that question? Or do you think there will be another team, another set of advisers, someone else to take care of you?

Do you understand what it means to be drafted in the third round by the Denver Broncos, then cut before the first regular-season game? Do you know how close you are to having no football career, no degree and no real future?

You might think, ``I just got some bad advice.''

Your defenders say that every time something goes wrong. Booted out of Ohio State after a year, showing up fat at the NFL combine, having an attitude of entitlement -- it's really not your fault.

Maurice, quit conning yourself.

No high school and college player of your caliber gets bad advice, you just decide to listen to bad advice. You shop around until you find someone who tells you what you want to hear -- and you ignore those who try to tell you what you really need to know.

Your high school coach at Warren Harding was Thom McDaniels. He is a Hall of Fame-caliber coach who has sent players to the NFL going back to Canton McKinley. Do you think Michael Doss got bad advice? How about Kenny Peterson or Jamar Martin? They played for McDaniels at McKinley, then played at Ohio State. They're now in the NFL.

Doss and Peterson were your teammates on the 2002 NCAA championship Buckeyes. McDaniels started the job, Jim Tressel finished it. Both coaches told you to go with the program, go to class, work reasonably hard and be a decent person. The NFL millions would be there soon enough.

It's a well-worn road that has led countless Buckeye players into the pros. But you wanted to go your way, and you used anger as a fuel.

Understand that anger leads only in one direction -- bitterness and victim-hood. Anger never takes responsibility. Anger never teaches anything constructive. Anger eats you up inside and alienates you from everyone else.

You were unhappy because you weren't paid (legitimately) by OSU when 104,000 fans watched you play each week. You were mad when you couldn't turn pro after your freshman year. Guys can do it in other sports, why not football?

You seethed at the system, and tried to take down OSU by making charges of academic fraud and other infractions. That led to the NCAA spending a year on the campus investigating. The results led to one minor violation, quarterback Troy Smith taking $500 from a booster.

Don't you see that you just made your life miserable searching for shortcuts?

Don't you understand that the Broncos wanted you to make it. They shocked the NFL by taking you in the third round, when most scouts thought you'd be fortunate to be drafted at all.

Your college career consisted of 11 games, then you sat out for two years trying to win a court case against the NFL. Yet, the Broncos offered you a $400,000 bonus. But you rejected that and signed an incentive-packed contract where you could make more than $5 million -- assuming you became a star.

Then you arrived in training camp and were one of eight running backs. Nothing was guaranteed from a contract to a roster spot. You pulled a groin, then barely practiced.

There were whispers that your injury wasn't that severe, that you wanted out of Denver because you realized you wouldn't play. You acted like a star, when every NFL rookie is correctly viewed as a scrub until proven otherwise.

Most coaches would rather cut their tongues out than admit what Denver's Mike Shanahan told reporters: ``Anytime you cut somebody in the third round, obviously you feel like you made a mistake... in a true evaluation of your entire organization, anytime you use a third-round choice and he doesn't make your team -- that's not good.''

No, it's not. Especially for you, Maurice Clarett.

Prosdo
08-31-2005, 07:28 PM
After hearing so much about this guys behavior I would definitely pass on him. There are other backs out there.

clevestinks
08-31-2005, 07:31 PM
I have an opening at our company. I`ll put him on the line, as a laborer.

Suitanim
08-31-2005, 07:35 PM
I have an opening at our company. I`ll put him on the line, as a laborer.
Within a week, he'll have filed a racial discrimination against you, your company, and every supplier you deal with.

BAD NEWS!

LambertIsGod58
09-01-2005, 09:16 AM
As much as I respect the career of Jim Brown, he was one of the very people to give Clarett his advice. Brown was one of the best ever.....I'm not sure if I mean running back or racist.

Da Boot
09-01-2005, 10:23 AM
NO freaking way!!

clevestinks
09-01-2005, 03:07 PM
As much as I respect the career of Jim Brown, he was one of the very people to give Clarett his advice. Brown was one of the best ever.....I'm not sure if I mean running back or racist.

How true! Great on the field , suked off the field. How many woman has Big BAd Jim Brown beaten up , and thrown out of windows? And he is giving advice??? Wow.