View Full Version : Steelers Like FSU's Timmons

83-Steelers-43
03-31-2007, 09:44 AM
FSU LB appears on Steelers' draft radar

By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, March 31, 2007

So much for rumors and innuendo.

The Steelers will leave the speculation and guesswork of next month's NFL Draft to prying media members and the team's vast legion of fans. The Steelers deal in facts, and the facts tell them Florida State linebacker Lawrence Timmons is a strong candidate to be taken with their first-round pick (No. 15 overall).

How much do the Steelers think of Timmons? Count the ways:

? Steelers coaches, scouts and front-office staff observed Timmons at the NFL Scouting Combine in February.

? Coach Mike Tomlin and director of football operations Kevin Colbert observed Timmons at Florida State's Pro Day on March 15.

? Several general managers were present when Timmons worked out two weeks ago, but Tomlin was the only head coach to attend, and Tomlin and Colbert were the only head coach/GM tag-team there.

? Oh, and did we mention that Timmons is expected to visit Pittsburgh to meet with team officials one final time prior to the April 28-29 draft?

Tomlin's presence at Florida State's Pro Day less than a month after the Combine is significant.

Tomlin could have simply gone back and watched more of Timmons on game tape or viewed his Combine performance until he needed a case of Visine, but he saw something that piqued his interest and made him want to see Timmons again in person.

Drew Rosenhaus, agent to the stars who represents Timmons, saw the same thing.

"The draft is very difficult to project. It's just too early to place Lawrence with a team. But it's always a good sign when the general manager and the head coach come and watch a player work out. It's exciting for us to see the Steelers' organization express that kind of interest in Lawrence," Rosenhaus said.

So, is the Steelers' interest in Timmons genuine, a smokescreen, or pure coincidence?

After all, the Steelers evaluate all of the top draft-eligible players thoroughly. They have to check out everybody, because you never know when a player you didn't expect to be available might fall into your lap.

However, for high-ranking members of the Steelers to schedule at least three visits with Timmons after the season -- not to mention also scouting his college games -- says a lot about Timmons as a player, and even more about the Steelers' having a legitimate interest in drafting him.

Last season, Timmons recorded 79 tackles (including 18 tackles for a loss), five sacks, one interception, one fumble recovery and two blocked kicks. He's a big hitter with the versatility to play the run, pressure the quarterback and drop into coverage.

He's comfortable playing in the 3-4 or 4-3 formation, which, coincidentally, is what the Steelers are expected to play under Tomlin.

Timmons told reporters attending the Combine that he played the 3-4 about 25 percent of the time at Florida State. He prefers the 3-4 because he can rush the quarterback from the end position.

Timmons, who left school with a year of eligibility remaining, would fill an eventual need at outside linebacker for the Steelers, who released Joey Porter and replaced him with James Harrison, who turns 29 in May.

Clark Haggans, the other starting outside linebacker, is 30.

Timmons turns 21 in May.

"Leaving early as a junior, most people still think you're a kid," Timmons said. "I just want to let them know I'm professional, and I can do anything and everything they want me to."

Tomlin seems convinced. Even after Timmons posted pedestrian times of 4.63 and 4.71 in the 40 and appeared winded between drills at Florida State's Pro Day, Tomlin came to Timmons' defense.

"The (game) tape is his walking-and-talking resume," Tomlin told the Tallahassee Democrat. "Sometimes people get enamored with workouts and things of that nature. The No. 1 thing is the tape. And his tape is his biggest ally."

No idle chatter, this.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_500438.html

Atlanta Dan
03-31-2007, 09:53 AM
Even after Timmons posted pedestrian times of 4.63 and 4.71 in the 40 and appeared winded between drills at Florida State's Pro Day, Tomlin came to Timmons' defense.

"The (game) tape is his walking-and-talking resume," Tomlin told the Tallahassee Democrat. "Sometimes people get enamored with workouts and things of that nature. The No. 1 thing is the tape. And his tape is his biggest ally."

The tape is his biggest ally unless he has kept his motor running to make the pros and then plans to turn it off once he gets that first big payday - it has been known to happen.

For example, Lendale White played well his senior year at USC, slacked off in the draft workouts, and now allegedly has reported to Titans mini-camp after having the starting RB job handed to him at a Bettis like 260 pounds. The warning signs all were there in his pre-draft workouts.

For similar reasons, Timmons getting winded in workouts and having slow times in the 40 are red flags to me. Sometimes a coach falls in love with a player and is blind to the player he saw on tape not being the player that actually is drafted.

BettisFan
03-31-2007, 10:52 AM
he is good what round would we get him in?

The Duke
03-31-2007, 11:18 AM
he is good what round would we get him in?

I would say Round 1, since we released Porter i've been thinking the steelers will draft him. But then who would start him or Harrison?

BettisFan
03-31-2007, 11:43 AM
we would have to wait till after training camp

MasterOfPuppets
03-31-2007, 06:54 PM
i'd fell better about poslunszy

1. Paul Posluszny, Penn State, 6-2, 238: He has a rare combination of instinct, athleticism and toughness. Posluszny is stout enough to take on and shed a lead blocker to get to a runner and fluid enough to be effective in pass coverage. NFL Hall of Famer Jack Ham called him "the best linebacker ever to play at Penn State." High praise considering Penn State is known as "Linebacker U." Posluszny's toughness was reflected by his request for a shot to numb the pain, so he could return to the field after tearing knee ligaments in the Orange Bowl during his junior season. He might move inside at the next level.

tony hipchest
03-31-2007, 06:59 PM
.so would carolina at #14

SteelCzar76
03-31-2007, 07:12 PM
Timmons is certainly an athlete. But IMO not only does he have trouble 'shedding blocks' but he's very undersized at 6'0 234 lbs. (That's smaller than Larry Foote) And when exactly did we become the Colts ???
And as mentioned earlier his 'training ethic'(or lack thereof) could possibly be a major 'Red Flag'.
With that said,...is he of first round value ? Perhaps,....very late. But i think it would be borderline lunacy to take him with the 15th pick.

MasterOfPuppets
03-31-2007, 07:28 PM
Timmons is certainly an athlete. But IMO not only does he have trouble 'shedding blocks' but he's very undersized at 6'0 234 lbs. (That's smaller than Larry Foote) And when exactly did we become the Colts ???
And as mentioned earlier his 'training ethic'(or lack thereof) could possibly be a major 'Red Flag'.
With that said,...is he of first round value ? Perhaps,....very late. But i think it would be borderline lunacy to take him with the 15th pick.

he's very undersized at 6'0 234 lbs

and still bigger than greg lloyd.

DACEB
03-31-2007, 07:40 PM
hell, if he can get after the QB like Lloyd then sign him. But I would say if your going to take a LB at 15 it should be Willis. Not that that's who I want. I say trade down and get at least three picks in the 2nd, then we can get OL, LB and RB

SteelCzar76
03-31-2007, 07:57 PM
he's very undersized at 6'0 234 lbs

and still bigger than greg lloyd.

And being that Lloyd was an 'exception' to the rule. Do you mean to say that you believe Timmons posseses such ability ? If so wouldn't it stand to reason that if he did,.....there would no talk of any other backer even being in his 'class' this year ?
And how could he even be considered less than a 'top ten lock' by any if he indeed even gave scouts a slight impression that he could be mentioned in the same catagory as Lloyd ?
Knock it off.

MasterOfPuppets
03-31-2007, 08:11 PM
And being that Lloyd was an 'exception' to the rule. Do you mean to say that you believe Timmons posseses such ability ? If so wouldn't it stand to reason that if he did,.....there would no talk of any other backer even being in his 'class' this year ?
And how could he even be considered less than a 'top ten lock' by any if he indeed even gave scouts a slight impression that he could be mentioned in the same catagory as Lloyd ?
Knock it off.
did i compare him to llyod in any way other than size? did the steelers know lloyd was the exception when they drafted him in the 6th rd?

SteelCzar76
03-31-2007, 08:22 PM
did i compare him to llyod in any way other than size? did the steelers know lloyd was the exception when they drafted him in the 6th rd?

I know what you meant to say M.O.P. And you have a valid point in terms of a player 'shocking the world' so to speak. But my point was as such,.......is this a 'gamble' that you want to take in the FIRST ROUND of any draft ? (let alone with a pick as high as 15th ?)

Anthony_Smith27
03-31-2007, 08:27 PM

1. Paul Posluszny, Penn State, 6-2, 238: He has a rare combination of instinct, athleticism and toughness. Posluszny is stout enough to take on and shed a lead blocker to get to a runner and fluid enough to be effective in pass coverage. NFL Hall of Famer Jack Ham called him "the best linebacker ever to play at Penn State." High praise considering Penn State is known as "Linebacker U." Posluszny's toughness was reflected by his request for a shot to numb the pain, so he could return to the field after tearing knee ligaments in the Orange Bowl during his junior season. He might move inside at the next level.

screw that, we need a pass rusher, poz isn't a pass rusher, he only has 9 sacks in his college career, might as well get shaw, he gets to the qb more.

GBMelBlount
03-31-2007, 10:21 PM
I saw Lloyd in person. shorts, cutoff type top. Unbelievable beast though not huge. I think there are people that outperform their size. He was one. Anyway, I guess is it 3-4 for now? If so, who is the best? In 3-4 the OL's rush right? So who be it? Doesn't it complicate/change situation IF we change "D"? And IMHO do we have more needs at Linebacker than O-line? Sorry if I changed the subject.

BettisFan
04-01-2007, 02:03 AM
its all over sports rumor sites i guess its realiable

MasterOfPuppets
04-01-2007, 03:16 AM
I know what you meant to say M.O.P. And you have a valid point in terms of a player 'shocking the world' so to speak. But my point was as such,.......is this a 'gamble' that you want to take in the FIRST ROUND of any draft ? (let alone with a pick as high as 15th ?)

wel lif you new what i meant then what the hell was your rebuttle all about?i in no way shape or form did i compare timmons to lloyd skill wise.my only point was he is bigger than one of the best 3-4 outside linebackers to ever play the position.would he be my choice at pick 15? hell no!! scroll up a few post and you'll see my thoughts on it. but what i do know is every pick is "a gamble", reguardless of where they get drafted.

polamalufan43
04-01-2007, 11:50 AM
Just to add to the talk
http://nfl.aolsportsblog.com/2007/03/31/steelers-show-plenty-of-interest-in-timmons/

Steelers Drool Over Timmons

There's not a whole lot of Steelers news today, but John Harris does put the pieces together to spotlight the Steelers' interest in Florida State outside linebacker Lawrence Timmons.

As Harris points out, the Steelers were the only team whose head coach was at FSU's pro day to watch Timmons work out. Timmons will come to visit the Steelers before the draft, and the Steelers seemed to pay special attention to Timmons at the combine.

It all makes sense. The Steelers are in need of a youth movement at outside linebacker, and Timmons is one of the few linebackers on the board who fits as an outside linebacker in the 3-4 (there are a number of college defensive ends who fit the bill as well, but they'll have to get comfortable playing linebacker).

But as Harris' points out, there are some concerns about Timmons as well. His 4.63 40-yard dash time at pro day was even worse than his 4.60 at the combine, and he's still somewhat raw--as much potential as a finished product--with work to do on diagnosing plays and developing his ball recognition skills in pass coverage.

The much bigger concern is that Timmons was clearly out of shape at the pro day work out. As Ryan Wilson noted earlier at the Fanhouse, it led to Timmons' agent Drew Rosenhaus promising that Timmons would be in shape by minicamp.

That right there makes it really hard to want Timmons as the Steelers' first-round pick. As a draft prospect, the only work you have to do between January-April is make sure that you are in the absolute best shape of your life. Considering that dropping just 10 spots in the draft can make a multi-million dollar difference, it's hard to envision what could keep a player from staying in shape.

But the biggest question is, if Timmons can't stay in shape now, with big money contracts being dangled in front of him, why is he going to work hard once he's drafted and signed, when he already has money in the bank?

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

SteelCzar76
04-01-2007, 04:43 PM
wel lif you new what i meant then what the hell was your rebuttle all about?i in no way shape or form did i compare timmons to lloyd skill wise.my only point was he is bigger than one of the best 3-4 outside linebackers to ever play the position.would he be my choice at pick 15? hell no!! scroll up a few post and you'll see my thoughts on it. but what i do know is every pick is "a gamble", reguardless of where they get drafted.

Oh,....that wasn't 'Hellish rebuttle' on my part P. And yes,....all picks are a 'Gamble' ULTIMATELY but at the very least one can play the odds.

Elvis
04-01-2007, 07:07 PM
Polomalufan... that was a very good post and thanks for sharing it with us. I dont know about anyone else but if a player has his agent come out and make that coment instead of doing it himself I would be kind of concerned about drafting the guy myself. Seems like Timmons has some growing up to do and take charge of his career/life..
Jesus Is Lord
Elvis