PDA

View Full Version : Starks Trade Rumor

One4TheOtherThumb
03-31-2007, 10:21 AM
I've been a reader here for a while now, and finally got around to registering...anyway...ProFootballTalk.com posted a story that theres talk in league circles about the Cardinals trading the 5th pick in exchange for Starks and the 15th pick. While it is all just "talk" at this point, I'd love to see this happen. At worst we'd pick up Gaines Adams, or we could even get lucky enough to grab Peterson. AP and Fast Willie in the same backfield, wouldn't that be one heck of a two headed monster?....Anyone else have thoughts on this?

RoethlisBURGHer
03-31-2007, 10:24 AM
We don't have the cap room to sign a fifth overall pick.And just so you know,PFT is a rumor mill and about 95% of the stuff off that website is complete crap.

If we were trading anyone from our o-line,I think it would be Faneca because he's gone after this season anyhow.

The Duke
03-31-2007, 10:36 AM
Damn, 5th pick for Starks, definetely a rumor

tony hipchest
03-31-2007, 10:38 AM
rumors aside, this is a good topic. ive thought about if we should trade faneca but not starks. i browsed an arizona board yesterday and alot of their fans seemed more interested in getting a tackle than a guard. leinart is a leftie so right tackle is a little more important than left tackle to protect his blind side.

i think if arizona could turn the #5 into starks and a de like a. carriker it would be a hell of a move for them. theres also rumors arizona wants to do a 3-4 and karriker is in the mold of aaron smith.

i like the prospects of a player like gaines adams, or we would have the option to trade back down and acquire more picks. this years 2nd round is said to be deep and we could find a good linemen or 2 still there to help replace the loss of starks.

OneForTheToe
03-31-2007, 10:39 AM
It's like I found a distant cousin.

I have my doubts as well. However, if the Cardinals are that stupid, I'm all for it. I'd give Max up any day to move up 10 spots.

ChronoCross
03-31-2007, 10:39 AM
Who is Straks..

tony hipchest
03-31-2007, 10:40 AM
We don't have the cap room to sign a fifth overall pick.And just so you know,PFT is a rumor mill and about 95% of the stuff off that website is complete crap.

If we were trading anyone from our o-line,I think it would be Faneca because he's gone after this season anyhow.we do have the cap room for a #5th. rookie money is all bonus plus the minimum salary that counts against the cap. regardless of where this rumor came from, starks is a restricted free agent an can easilly be gone with faneca next season.

BettisFan
03-31-2007, 10:42 AM
its worth it

DACEB
03-31-2007, 11:13 AM
I would not take this as a load of crap. Although I believe it is Faneca that the Steelers want to trade for that pick. I think that's why the Steelers gave Starks the 1st round tender money, so that teams would have to choose between Faneca and Starks (seeing they would have to give a 1st round for either, Faneca would likely be the choice, leaving us the younger and cheaper Starks).

I would think that if we lost either their pay would come off the cap. Signing an OLB, even a 5th pick, should not be that costly (if it is Gaines Adams their after). Signing an OT with the 5th (such as Levi Brown) IMO would be more expensive. I'm estimating this using franchise tag $$. Nevertheless, I don't believe either would be over the $1.8 mill Starks is scheduled to make nevermind Fanecas salary.

Starks is probably being mentioned because we would probably want a 2nd round pick in addition to the 1st round swap for Faneca.

I do believe we will see a draft day trade unless Joe Thomas is still on the board, in that case Arizona would most likely pick him. I would also not rule out a trade with another team (maybe Houston).

ChronoCross
03-31-2007, 11:19 AM
Mano I cannot find Straks anywhere, all I found was a pic;

http://www.stemhok.nl/pics/artikelen/handboeienplaatje.jpeg

DACEB
03-31-2007, 11:25 AM
i like the prospects of a player like gaines adams, or we would have the option to trade back down and acquire more picks. this years 2nd round is said to be deep and we could find a good linemen or 2 still there to help replace the loss of starks.

Exactly Tony, I have a feeling this is one of those years the FO makes a move to get the player they want (and possibly at the same time get rid of an aging, disgruntled player with a high cap value). Trading down could be a valuable option as well. We would most likely be able to pick up three players in the 2nd (OLB, OL, and RB).

tony hipchest
03-31-2007, 11:32 AM
Exactly Tony, I have a feeling this is one of those years the FO makes a move to get the player they want (and possibly at the same time get rid of an aging, disgruntled player with a high cap value). Trading down could be a valuable option as well. We would most likely be able to pick up three players in the 2nd (OLB, OL, and RB).demeco ryans and marcus mcniel were both pro bowl calibur 2nd rounders. both started and excelled all year.

ChronoCross
03-31-2007, 11:34 AM
demeco ryans and marcus mcniel were both pro bowl calibur 2nd rounders. both started and excelled all year.

http://tellmewhereonearth.com/Web%20Pages/Humor/Humor%20Photos/H2.JPG

ChronoCross
03-31-2007, 11:36 AM
I do not think Straks cares about the trade. He is still in his off season workout away from the team.

http://www.kodiak.org/images/bear-c2.jpg

Atlanta Dan
03-31-2007, 12:07 PM
Trading Faneca to move up 10 picks seems pricey to me.

If the Cards want an OL anyhow Thomas will not be available at 15. I would just wait for Faneca to leave after 2007 if I were the Cards

As for trading for Starks, he is a stiff - if I think so you can bet Whiz & Grimm do

polamalufan43
03-31-2007, 12:12 PM
Honestly, I think we would be better off keeping Starks if this were the case. With all the cap room and stuff, it just doesn't seem good long-term I guess.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

One4TheOtherThumb
03-31-2007, 12:34 PM

If we were trading anyone from our o-line,I think it would be Faneca because he's gone after this season anyhow.

Yes I am fully aware that it is a rumor mill, but I wouldn't go as far to say it's 95% crap. Most of the stuff is pretty accurate and the beat ESPN.com to the punch line quite a bit.

They also said it appeared that it was AZ who started the talk and they were seeking Starks, not Faneca. But I definitely wouldn't loose any sleep about loosing Starks, I thought Colon played better at the end of the season anyway. Picking up a top five player or trading back and acquiring more second rounders would be a dream....

Livinginthe past
03-31-2007, 01:46 PM
Yes I am fully aware that it is a rumor mill, but I wouldn't go as far to say it's 95% crap. Most of the stuff is pretty accurate and the beat ESPN.com to the punch line quite a bit.

They also said it appeared that it was AZ who started the talk and they were seeking Starks, not Faneca. But I definitely wouldn't loose any sleep about loosing Starks, I thought Colon played better at the end of the season anyway. Picking up a top five player or trading back and acquiring more second rounders would be a dream....

Agreed, for some reason PFT has a bad reputation on this board - I don't really know why.

When its a rumor they don't try and pass it off as fact and they seem to be on the money with quite a few bits of 'insider info'.

On the subject of Starks I can't see how he is worth so much in trade value - then again average interior linemen have been highly sought after this off season.

If anyone should have the inside line on Starks capablilites it would be Whiz and Grimm.

BettisFan
03-31-2007, 02:01 PM
aha lol

GutterflowerSteel
03-31-2007, 02:42 PM
Agreed, for some reason PFT has a bad reputation on this board - I don't really know why.

When its a rumor they don't try and pass it off as fact and they seem to be on the money with quite a few bits of 'insider info'.

I agree. If PFT were a crap board, I don't think Adam Schein would mention them favorably on the Afternoon Blitz, and Peter King wouldn't have plugged them in his column, either. Mike Florio, the PFT poobah, was on the NFL Network with Adam Schefter and Jamie Dukes recently in a show about the draft. The site is funny--their pictures of the day are great, and so is the Turd Watch :thumbsup:

One4TheOtherThumb
03-31-2007, 03:16 PM
I think they get a bad rep. b/c unlike the "real" media they post stories about the "talk" from around the league about things that may potentially happen. On the other hand, the sites like ESPN and SI only post stories about things after they have happened. But, the large dose of daily rumors and whispers from around the league they provide is exactly what I need to fight boredom in the off season. And like you said, they're hilarious.

Preacher
03-31-2007, 03:32 PM
Heck... with the "turnstyle" scheme of blocking that Starks buys into from Grimm and Wiz.. I say send him to them for those picks. I got no problem what so ever.

SteelCzar76
03-31-2007, 03:48 PM
In all actuality i think such a trade would be a 'good look' for the Cardinals as well us. As mentioned they'd get some help up front for leinhart and Edge. (IMO Starks will improve and is a veritable 'pup' in terms of an O-linemans age) And would still be in position at 15 to possibly land a player like Carriker.
Not to mention the "possibilties" that landing Adrian Peterson would do for our offense as a whole. I think it's fair to say that Peterson's presence would go a long way towards taking a lot of 'pressure' (perceived or otherwise) off of Ben and Willie's shoulders.

BettisFan
03-31-2007, 04:14 PM
what are starks stats are they worth draft picks

tony hipchest
03-31-2007, 04:17 PM
In all actuality i think such a trade would be a 'good look' for the Cardinals as well us. As mentioned they'd get some help up front for leinhart and Edge. (IMO Starks will improve and is a veritable 'pup' in terms of an O-linemans age) And would still be in position at 15 to possibly land a player like Carriker.
Not to mention the "possibilties" that landing Adrian Peterson would do for our offense as a whole. I think it's fair to say that Peterson's presence would go a long way towards taking a lot of 'pressure' (perceived or otherwise) off of Ben and Willie's shoulders.it would also give added value to the pick from all the teams hoping peterson drops to them. this would give alot of flexibility. starks to az to move up 10 spots in the draft equates to about the 29th pick in the draft. personally id rather have #15 and #29.

i know starks has been dogged by the fans, as has ben and taylor. but for their experience on a SB team coupled with their bargain price, they still have alot of upside. especially starks. he plays for about 1.3 mil this year. arizona let leonard davis walk to a 50 mil deal. starks has definite value and tapping it should be considered.

kevin colbert needs something to keep him busy during the offseason, and im positive exploring all these options is what he does. while the steelers will most likely stand pat, speculating all these options is fun to think about.

SteelCzar76
03-31-2007, 04:46 PM
it would also give added value to the pick from all the teams hoping peterson drops to them. this would give alot of flexibility. starks to az to move up 10 spots in the draft equates to about the 29th pick in the draft. personally id rather have #15 and #29.

i know starks has been dogged by the fans, as has ben and taylor. but for their experience on a SB team coupled with their bargain price, they still have alot of upside. especially starks. he plays for about 1.3 mil this year. arizona let leonard davis walk to a 50 mil deal. starks has definite value and tapping it should be considered.

kevin colbert needs something to keep him busy during the offseason, and im positive exploring all these options is what he does. while the steelers will most likely stand pat, speculating all these options is fun to think about.

Well said Tone,....i applaud your thinking in terms of 'Flexibility'. Indeed,....discussing such options (trades and the like) are worthwhile for the fans. However i'd like to see Colbert actually consider such daring 'moves' regarding personel.

Generally he does very well in the first round. (though some could argue that there's 'room for improvement' afterwards) And it would be impressive for him IMO to move up and land one of the 'very few' immediate impact players of this Class.

Or,... we could stay at 15 or trade down and pick up a corner or linebacker whom though they might be 'solid',.... their play will likely be matched or even surpassed by players selected even later. (Don't get me wrong,....this is not exactly failure but i'd 'raise the stakes' so to speak) LOL

Borski
03-31-2007, 05:04 PM
Mano I cannot find Straks anywhere, all I found was a pic;

http://www.stemhok.nl/pics/artikelen/handboeienplaatje.jpeg

Google told me this guy is Straks, I wasnt aware we could trades refs.:flap:

http://akfootball.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/.pond/straks2006.jpg.w180h245.jpg

MasterOfPuppets
03-31-2007, 06:19 PM
i'd trade starks for a 30 pack! seriously though,for a chance to land adams and all we
loose is an oaf that can't get off the ball .....where do i sign?:thumbsup:

Stlrs4Life
03-31-2007, 06:48 PM
It's like I found a distant cousin.

I have my doubts as well. However, if the Cardinals are that stupid, I'm all for it. I'd give Max up any day to move up 10 spots.

I hear ya, but it is PFT. They are ignorant.

19ward86
03-31-2007, 07:47 PM
im not sure if this is a 100% rumor, since russ grimm and whiz are with the cardinals this could be a possibility. the trade would be quite even since it would be:
steelers get-5th overall pick
cards get-15th overall pick and an up and coming linemen.

GBMelBlount
03-31-2007, 09:00 PM
Wow, what a diverse thread. I had thought Starks was marginal, but after reading some posts by the "muscle", it sounds like we could get a good pick. Apparently there is significant upside potential to Max (same as ike Taylor IMHO). Are there stats on OL like (i.e. footbal outsider) and how did max stack up. Again he is young and if someone has strong interest for higher draft pick it sounds REALLY good to me. Agreed?

Galax Steeler
04-01-2007, 06:35 AM
I think it would be worth it a 5th pick.

polamalufan43
04-01-2007, 10:40 AM
Wow, what a diverse thread. I had thought Starks was marginal, but after reading some posts by the "muscle", it sounds like we could get a good pick. Apparently there is significant upside potential to Max (same as ike Taylor IMHO). Are there stats on OL like (i.e. footbal outsider) and how did max stack up. Again he is young and if someone has strong interest for higher draft pick it sounds REALLY good to me. Agreed?

Well, I can see what you mean, but I'm not so sure I agree. I don't really know why, it's just a nagging feeling that Starks should stay for another season and then maybe go. Oh well, we'll see I guess.

One4TheOtherThumb
04-01-2007, 10:58 AM
Well, I can see what you mean, but I'm not so sure I agree. I don't really know why, it's just a nagging feeling that Starks should stay for another season and then maybe go. Oh well, we'll see I guess.

Yeah with some ?'s on our line this year I can understand your reasoning, but if we keep him for a year then let him go we get nothing in return. Plus, I wouldn't be surprised if Colon takes his job before the seasons over anyway. I really liked how he played at the end of the year, he finishes his blocks.

Suitanim
04-01-2007, 02:18 PM
A) The Steelers aren't going to move up to 5 and pay that GIGANTIC signing bonus for an unproven player
B) PFT has a shitty reputation because it earned it. Yes, they occasionally get a rumor right, but they are from the school of "Throw enough shit at a wall, and some of it will stick". PFT was, is and always will be the World Weekly News of pro football talk, which is just fine if you think that Batboy may possibly be drafted next year...

Livinginthe past
04-01-2007, 03:50 PM
Based on information we've collected over the past day, it appears to us that rumors of the Cardinals making a play for Steelers tackle Max Starks are not accurate.

We recently heard rumblings of a possible deal that would have sent Starks to the Cardinals in exchange for a swap of first-round picks. The Cardinals have the No. 5 overall selection, and the Steelers are at No. 15.

A league source tells us that the rumor is/was just that -- a rumor -- and that there is no current talk of such a deal.

Courtesy of PFT

Suitanim
04-01-2007, 04:19 PM
Courtesy of PFT

I guess that particular piece of shit didn't stick...

Bottom line: Stick to reputable sources...and, as far as Adam Schein goes, he picked the Steelers to finish 7-9 the year they won the Super Bowl.

83-Steelers-43
04-01-2007, 04:29 PM
Please tell me Oakland is this stupid.....

Raiders | Starks signed
Sun, 1 Apr 2007 13:17:15 -0700

Jim Wyatt, of the LA Times, reports Pittsburgh Steelers RFA RT Max Starks signs an offer sheet from the Raiders if the Steelers do not match they would receive the Raiders number 1 over all draft pick in this years April draft

Livinginthe past
04-01-2007, 04:37 PM
Please tell me Oakland is this stupid.....

Raiders | Starks signed
Sun, 1 Apr 2007 13:17:15 -0700

Jim Wyatt, of the LA Times, reports Pittsburgh Steelers RFA RT Max Starks signs an offer sheet from the Raiders if the Steelers do not match they would receive the Raiders number 1 over all draft pick in this years April draft

There are an awful lot of 'Aprils Fools' stories doing the rounds - I would bet this is one of them.

83-Steelers-43
04-01-2007, 04:39 PM
There are an awful lot of 'Aprils Fools' stories doing the rounds - I would bet this is one of them.

Okay, I kind of figured but with Oakland you never know with Al going senile and all.

HometownGal
04-01-2007, 04:58 PM

That was my first thought when I saw that. Al Davis is a slimeball, but he isn't stupid.

Don't get me wrong - I like Max, but if we can get a high draft pick for him, let's do it.

Elvis
04-01-2007, 05:06 PM
Damn, 5th pick for Starks, definetely a rumor
:thumbsup:
Kind of my thoughts exactly.. I dont see why anyone would be that Stupid:jawdrop: .... but I would go for that trade..
Easter Sunday... April 8,2007
Elvis

83-Steelers-43
04-01-2007, 07:27 PM
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t26/castnbash/AlDavisJPG.jpg

SteelCzar76
04-01-2007, 08:08 PM

My sentiments exactly Pats. I don't think even Old AL is that far gone.,....yet. LOL
Oh and BTW,.....your new avatar is an 'April Fool's Day' Joke as well,....Right ?

ben2hines=6
04-03-2007, 12:05 AM
hell i wouldnt mind seeing colon as the right tackle and kemoeatu at right guard......and the talk about starks being traded is interesting but i couldnt see someone giving up 10 spots that high in the draft....but that would open up the possibility for gains adams

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-03-2007, 10:20 AM
Latest rumor is that the Raiders did sign Starks...and it has dropped us 14 slots in the first round to get rid of him:flap:

DJfan
04-03-2007, 11:44 AM
Source?

DJfan
04-03-2007, 11:47 AM
ALAMEDA, Calif. (March 23, 2006) -- The Oakland Raiders signed veteran cornerback Duane Starks, the second former New England defensive back they've acquired this week to bolster the secondary.

The Patriots released Starks on Feb. 25 after his lone season with New England ended in injury. He was placed on injured reserve Nov. 10 with a shoulder injury.

Strange reporting around here. Guess he doesn't play for the minor league baseball team anymore.

DJfan
04-03-2007, 11:48 AM
I can't post the link yet because my post count is too low. But, it's from NFL.com on the Raiders page.

I'm one post closer.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-03-2007, 12:02 PM
Source?

:dang: :dang: that was sarcasm...and a little wishful thinking:dang: :dang:

ChronoCross
04-03-2007, 12:07 PM
To bad it was a false rumor. It would be a steal to swap and jump that many spots in the draft for Starks.

steelcitysfinestXL
04-03-2007, 12:59 PM
If this #15 for #5 trade would happen it would be for faneca, not Maxx! I believe in this deal if the steelers couldnt match the offer given to Maxx by AZ they wouldnt not only get this years rnd. 1 switch but wouldnt they get AZ's next year #1 also. Anyway Faneca is the one who should be traded (that pained me to say, he's one of my all time favs) He is going to command BIG TIME $$$$ next season. Look at the Dockery and Steinbach being signed to 7 yr deals this March. Both earning over $50 Million deals something like $17 guaranteed. NEITHER OF THESE GUYS HAS EVER MADE A PROBOWL (to the best of my knowledge anyway) So faneca will command more than that at the end of next season. Why not deal him now while has still has AMAZING value. I hope we dont do the same thing w/ faneca as we did w/ porter. Sign him or tade him. Dont just let him walk away!!!!

Stillers43
04-04-2007, 01:01 PM
If this #15 for #5 trade would happen it would be for faneca, not Maxx! I believe in this deal if the steelers couldnt match the offer given to Maxx by AZ they wouldnt not only get this years rnd. 1 switch but wouldnt they get AZ's next year #1 also. Anyway Faneca is the one who should be traded (that pained me to say, he's one of my all time favs) He is going to command BIG TIME $$$$ next season. Look at the Dockery and Steinbach being signed to 7 yr deals this March. Both earning over $50 Million deals something like $17 guaranteed. NEITHER OF THESE GUYS HAS EVER MADE A PROBOWL (to the best of my knowledge anyway) So faneca will command more than that at the end of next season. Why not deal him now while has still has AMAZING value. I hope we dont do the same thing w/ faneca as we did w/ porter. Sign him or tade him. Dont just let him walk away!!!!

AGREE! :thumbsup:

DACEB
04-04-2007, 01:59 PM
Why not deal him now while has still has AMAZING value. I hope we dont do the same thing w/ faneca as we did w/ porter. Sign him or tade him. Dont just let him walk away!!!!

Agreed, sad but true!

polamalufan43
04-04-2007, 02:09 PM

Now that I could see happening.

GBMelBlount
04-04-2007, 09:21 PM

IMHO yes. Others have said for example, letting Joey Porter go with no compensation was the "high road." With how bad it is said our O-line was last year, what will happen with Hartings retiring & Faneca gone. I am terrified! Even with high draft picks, there is a learning curve. Is 2007 simply a "rebuilding" year. God I hope not! We'll see.