PDA

View Full Version : Franco - Parker Stats

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
03-31-2007, 12:01 PM
The NFL channel just had a special on "state of the franchise" today's franchise was the Steelers. They went through their draft needs - LB/CB/OL spoke about Tomlin, Ben the offense/defense and interviewed Willie.

Prior to the interview with Willie they put up some stats in his first three years vs Franco's first 3 years.

Parker stats 2004 - 2006
Rushing yards - 2882
TD's - 17
SB Wins - 1

Franco's Stats 1972 - 1974
Rushing yards 2742
TD's - 18
SB Wins - 1

RUN WILLIE RUN!!!! :tt02: :tt02: :cheer:

RoethlisBURGHer
03-31-2007, 12:12 PM
Wow that's cool.Well,lets hope his career turns out as successful!

ChronoCross
03-31-2007, 12:48 PM
Well we get the OL working great and fixed. Parker should have a better season then last year. Parker still needs to work on holding onto the ball during this off season to make him even more reliable and better. By no means am I knocking Parker but he had 7 fumbles and lost 5 of them to the other team and we only recovered 2 of them this last season.

The Duke
03-31-2007, 02:22 PM
Well we get the OL working great and fixed. Parker should have a better season then last year. Parker still needs to work on holding onto the ball during this off season to make him even more reliable and better. By no means am I knocking Parker but he had 7 fumbles and lost 5 of them to the other team and we only recovered 2 of them this last season.

Worst part is most fumlbes were near the goal line, that just shouldn't happen. As long as the o line improves, Parker should just focus on holding on to the ball.

19ward86
03-31-2007, 08:50 PM
if willie can improve even more than he did last season i think he can become a top running back in the league, i consider him a top RB but i mean so that everyone thinks he is one of the best.

GBMelBlount
03-31-2007, 09:31 PM
Well actually lowerwe get the OL working great and fixed. Parker should have a better season then last year. Parker still needs to work on holding onto the ball during this off season to make him even more reliable and better. By no means am I knocking Parker but he had 7 fumbles and lost 5 of them to the other team and we only recovered 2 of them this last season.

Agree on OL. But that shouldn't affect fumbles much. Can RB's change running / holding to affect fumbles?

sumo
03-31-2007, 11:15 PM
The NFL channel just had a special on "state of the franchise" today's franchise was the Steelers. They went through their draft needs - LB/CB/OL spoke about Tomlin, Ben the offense/defense and interviewed Willie.

Prior to the interview with Willie they put up some stats in his first three years vs Franco's first 3 years.

Parker stats 2004 - 2006
Rushing yards - 2882
TD's - 17
SB Wins - 1

Rushing yards 2742
TD's - 18
SB Wins - 1

Stats are about the only thing they have in common - Franco was a completely different type of back - he and Bleier were all about running the ball 3-5 yards a pop/time of possession-rest the deffense, so they can come in and destroy whatever team they happened to be playing - Willie is more of a big play guy and is in a completely different-feature back offense - but anyway, I guess it makes for good entertainment with these comparisons...

GBMelBlount
03-31-2007, 11:33 PM
Stats are about the only thing they have in common - Franco was a completely different type of back - he and Bleier were all about running the ball 3-5 yards a pop/time of possession-rest the deffense, so they can come in and destroy whatever team they happened to be playing - Willie is more of a big play guy and is in a completely different-feature back offense - but anyway, I guess it makes for good entertainment with these comparisons...

So is willie 1-2 yards.... then 50?

sumo
03-31-2007, 11:41 PM
So is willie 1-2 yards.... then 50?

pretty much - but he was more consistent this year and didn't have to rely as much on the big play as the year before - remember - before his SB run, he was averaging about 2.0 a carry in the playoffs - I'm not knocking Willie - it's just hard to compare him with Franco - I think most of the older guys like me on the forum would agree - stats on the first 2 yrs of their respective careers are about the only thing they have in common....

GBMelBlount
03-31-2007, 11:46 PM
pretty much - but he was more consistent this year and didn't have to rely as much on the big play as the year before - remember - before his SB run, he was averaging about 2.0 a carry in the playoffs - I'm not knocking Willie - it's just hard to compare him with Franco - I think most of the older guys like me on the forum would agree - stats on the first 2 yrs of their respective careers are about the only thing they have in common....

If we shore up O-line can willie do the 3-4 yards every carry consistently? Is "poo" the right complement? I hope so. Would be one less thing to worry about.

Elvis
04-01-2007, 06:48 PM
I love Willie but I dont see him having a 10 year career at his size. Franco was surrounded by an awesome OL and a devistating Defense to help him out, but he Didnt have any Reciever help at that time either...
John 3:16
Elvis

Elvis
04-01-2007, 06:50 PM
:thumbsup: Couldnt have said it better myself...
Elvis

ChronoCross
04-01-2007, 08:49 PM
I love Willie but I dont see him having a 10 year career at his size. Franco was surrounded by an awesome OL and a devistating Defense to help him out, but he Didnt have any Reciever help at that time either...
Elvis

You cannot look at Willie size and say he will not have a 10 year career. Curtis Martin was couple pounds smaller then Willie. You do not have to be a 240 pound back to make it 10 years. Also there have been backs under 200pounds that have lasted over 10 years no problems, Tiki Barber could of played another 4 years easy and he was only 197 pounds.
Its about heart, health and wanting to play the game. As long as Willie works on his holding onto the ball, finding the holes better he will be just fine. Remember Willie was not a starter in college and he is still learning, so we should see more improvements over the next couple years.

GBMelBlount
04-01-2007, 09:13 PM
Hopefully willie has more holes to choose from this year. Franco was AMAZING & MADE some of his own holes.....but did Franco have alot of runs like Willie's AMAZING TD run in the SB? As said, Willie is brand new, he missed 4 years of college experience! For how young he is and with no college experience, I am proud of what he has accomplished. And he's humble (not that Franco isn't) but I remember him saying to JB in the SB vid - "I love you dog, you made me what I am...which isn't much." WP is a wonderful story and I think he can only improve.

BettisFan
04-01-2007, 09:23 PM
I LOVE YOU WILLIE!!!

Steeldude
04-01-2007, 11:57 PM
parker is going to need help from his O-line to keep up his pace. the O-line has been average to below average for the last few years.

fansince'76
04-02-2007, 12:08 AM
Franco was surrounded by an awesome OL and a devistating Defense to help him out, but he Didnt have any Reciever help at that time either...

You're kidding, right?

sumo
04-02-2007, 09:41 AM
You're kidding, right?

Stallworth and Swann - come on - it did take them several years to get in the HOF, so we really can't count them:wink02:

ChronoCross
04-02-2007, 12:43 PM
Stallworth and Swann - come on - it did take them several years to get in the HOF, so we really can't count them:wink02:

Well there comparing Franco's first two years were he did not have Swann, and Stallworth. Franco came in 1972 and Swann and Stallworth in the great draft of 1974.

Shanklin was #1 WR from 72-73 and Lewis even with the great draft was considered #1 WR in 1974, just before Swann and Stallworth jumped on the seen.

GBMelBlount
04-02-2007, 10:49 PM
Franco is a true Hero! The greatest backs do it regardless. Sanders... Franco whatever support he had I think would rank with the best. I hope FWP does in the future as well. Not the same type of backs obviously BUT Parker is young and has great potential!

BettisFan
04-02-2007, 10:53 PM
Parker is the next Franco

SteelShooter
04-02-2007, 11:03 PM

Parker stats 2004 - 2006
Rushing yards - 2882
TD's - 17
SB Wins - 1

Rushing yards 2742
TD's - 18
SB Wins - 1

Pretty impressive! you know, had they not kept Jerome as the go-to guy for goal line and short yardage setups, I am willing to bet a paycheck that Willie's TD's would have been greater. Everytime our guys got inside the 5yd line...here comes Jerome. But it's all good.

Steelersfan4life0655
04-03-2007, 12:46 AM
i like Parker. he's shown that he can be very effective. very explosive and i really think in the next few years, you'll see parker running over linebackers with that excellent speed that he poses, wow... think of the potential. but i do agree, that he needs to hang on the ball more, but i will give him the benefit of the doubt for only being a 2 year vet at the time, so i think that number will go down and hopefully see td numbers go up. so who knows, i am excited for this guy!!:tt02:

JuniorSteelerfan
04-05-2007, 02:58 PM

Parker stats 2004 - 2006
Rushing yards - 2882
TD's - 17
SB Wins - 1

Rushing yards 2742
TD's - 18
SB Wins - 1

Well lets hope we can address those draft needs and get back into the playoffs next year. And as for parker hope he keeps running his way into history right beside dear old Franco!!:cheers:

GBMelBlount
04-05-2007, 09:28 PM
i like Parker. he's shown that he can be very effective. very explosive and i really think in the next few years, you'll see parker running over linebackers with that excellent speed that he poses, wow... think of the potential. but i do agree, that he needs to hang on the ball more, but i will give him the benefit of the doubt for only being a 2 year vet at the time, so i think that number will go down and hopefully see td numbers go up. so who knows, i am excited for this guy!!:tt02:

I like Willie's upside, however, he may be more likely to run AROUND linebackers than over them. Only 2 years experience = great upside, plus he missed the typical 2,3,4 years college experience. As said by others, has lots of tread on his tire. Running for 1200 to 1500 yards with little experience and some O-line questions sounds great! I still would like to know if SF'ers feel "Poo" Davenport can handle the Bettis type "smash mouth football baby....steelers style!" that is also needed?