PDA

View Full Version : STEELERS DRAFT

steeldogAL
04-03-2007, 02:56 PM
I think that the STEELERS should stay right where we are at #15. We can draft a replacement for Joey, with Jarviss Moss or Patrick Willis. And we definitely do need a big back to compliment Willie. We can draft this big back in the second or third round with either Michael Bush or Hunt. Offensive lineman can be drafted late and still become great players, it makes no sense to take an OL high in the first round. All I know is that we need a big back and a great linebacker to fill the hole left by Joey. I would love for us to move up and take Adrian Peterson but I doubt we do that. As long as we get a linebacker in the first round like: Posluzny, Willis, Moss, or Timmons that would be great. And of course a big back in the second. GO STEELERS!

:tt02:

The Duke
04-03-2007, 03:08 PM
Steelers won't get a back in the second. Maybe 4th-7th, if they even get a back.

Livinginthe past
04-03-2007, 04:26 PM
And the obsession with the 'big back' continues.

Patrick Willis is an ILB so I don't see how he can be a replacement for Joey Porter.

BettisFan
04-03-2007, 04:53 PM
we dont need a back

Black@Gold Forever32
04-03-2007, 05:10 PM
We don't need a RB? We don't need a starting RB. Willie is just fine. But come'on would you really be comfortable with Dookie as the main RB if Willie went down with serious injury? I know I wouldn't and I think drafting a RB on the first day of the draft would be a very smart idea.

Plus other then Willie or Dookie there is much there at RB not unless the coaches really think Jon Kuhn is going to be a player.lol

tony hipchest
04-03-2007, 05:11 PM
we usually have 4 h-backs on the roster, plus kreider as the fullback.

jerome
duce
verron
willie

verron
willie
duce
najeh

willie
najeh

we need 2 backs.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-03-2007, 05:46 PM
Value may dictate that we take a back on the first day...OLB..CB...OT... and Punter are the only positions I would put over RB..and we can get a very good punter in the 5th round. If there is a run on CB's or OT's...I would grab Hunt or Leonard in the second or Wright in the 3rd before I reached for a CB or OT in those rounds....The way I look at it is...If we are up in the second..do I want Tony Hunt as a RB ... Tanard Jackson as a CB...or Ryan Harris as an OT?....I personally see very little difference between Tanard Jackson in the second or C.J. Gaddis in the fourth....or Ryan Harris in the second and Brandon Frye in the fourth....BUT the difference between Hunt and a fourth or fifth rounder is pretty significant.

steelcitysfinestXL
04-03-2007, 07:30 PM
WHY DOES EVERYONE INSIST WE DRAFT A CORNER ON DAY ONE IF AT ALL!!!! Yes we do need to draft a running back. If we get a LB and WR in the first 2 rounds (not neccessarily i that order either) look for us to take a long look at a few running backs that may slip to the third round. he doesnt have to be big but it would help. I think if the steelers havent started to narrow down the takent in the first round to 2-4 potential 1st round picks, the we should shop our pick for a later 1st rounder and a extra 2nd and/or 3rd. Somebody big may fall into our lap at 15, i mean who the hell thought Lienhart and bush would drop the way they did??? Theres alot of late 1st and 2nd rnd. potential at LB and besides Gaines Adams and Calvin Johnson,i dont think there is much separation between the rest of the WR's and LB's in the 1st and 2nd round.

MasterOfPuppets
04-03-2007, 09:39 PM
WHY DOES EVERYONE INSIST WE DRAFT A CORNER ON DAY ONE IF AT ALL!!!! Yes we do need to draft a running back. If we get a LB and WR in the first 2 rounds (not neccessarily i that order either) look for us to take a long look at a few running backs that may slip to the third round. he doesnt have to be big but it would help. I think if the steelers havent started to narrow down the takent in the first round to 2-4 potential 1st round picks, the we should shop our pick for a later 1st rounder and a extra 2nd and/or 3rd. Somebody big may fall into our lap at 15, i mean who the hell thought Lienhart and bush would drop the way they did??? Theres alot of late 1st and 2nd rnd. potential at LB and besides Gaines Adams and Calvin Johnson,i dont think there is much separation between the rest of the WR's and LB's in the 1st and 2nd round.

lol.....ummmmm the steelers were 10th in the league in rushing yds gained...and 20th in the league in giving up passing yards. hmmmmmm....10.....20....yeah your right....:coffee:

GBMelBlount
04-03-2007, 11:05 PM

jerome
duce
verron
willie

verron
willie
duce
najeh

willie
najeh

we need 2 backs.

I didn't think we need them early do you? IMHO. willie, poo, is a decent 1,2, plus, isn't Verron comin back if fully healed, etc.? With the monster draft at WR (unlike last year), can we pick up a beast WR before RB? Probably not, Oh well. But Crap! Tomlin sounds like he will look at best available more than 1st need...interesting!

ARKIESTEEL
04-04-2007, 06:06 AM

jerome
duce
verron
willie

verron
willie
duce
najeh

willie
najeh

we need 2 backs.

Poor poor Dan never even gets counted had the highest yards per carry on the team last year at 7 per (or I made this up dont recall I think it was 3 runs for 21 yards)

DACEB
04-04-2007, 06:32 AM
And the obsession with the 'big back' continues.

Patrick Willis is an ILB so I don't see how he can be a replacement for Joey Porter.

The facts are the facts LITP, Tony and others are right, we do need another back. Now, what round and whom that back is we will find out. FWP is a dynamic RB, but we need another back at least as insurance and at the best for a future dynamic duo. Not to mention we really need a back that excels at blocking in the backfield, FWP is not that guy, IMO Hunt fits that mold and has the north/south running style that compliments FWP.

Willis definetly won't replace Porter but IMO he would be a great pick at 15. We could use some youth at LB period, inside or out, and he appears to be the best at the position in the draft. We could always pick up the outside guy in the 2nd or even 3rd, as the pool is deeper especially at DE/OLB.

I know we need to replace Porter, but value on the board and value to the Steelers should be the factors at the time we pick. We have more than one need so the best player available to us should be the mentality. IMO pick the best players, don't chase the position. That is how you stockpile talent.

We have alot of option IMO. We should definetely be able to satisfy our needs day 1.

Livinginthe past
04-04-2007, 07:17 AM
The facts are the facts LITP, Tony and others are right, we do need another back. Now, what round and whom that back is we will find out. FWP is a dynamic RB, but we need another back at least as insurance and at the best for a future dynamic duo. Not to mention we really need a back that excels at blocking in the backfield, FWP is not that guy, IMO Hunt fits that mold and has the north/south running style that compliments FWP.

Willis definetly won't replace Porter but IMO he would be a great pick at 15. We could use some youth at LB period, inside or out, and he appears to be the best at the position in the draft. We could always pick up the outside guy in the 2nd or even 3rd, as the pool is deeper especially at DE/OLB.

I know we need to replace Porter, but value on the board and value to the Steelers should be the factors at the time we pick. We have more than one need so the best player available to us should be the mentality. IMO pick the best players, don't chase the position. That is how you stockpile talent.

We have alot of option IMO. We should definetely be able to satisfy our needs day 1.

Ok, I can agree that the Steelers will look at RB at some point - most teams take a punt on one at some stage of the draft.

But I don't agree that it is a draft priority and shouldn't be a 1st day pick.

From what I have seen from FWP and his rate of improvement, I think he can only get better at the other areas of his game - such as picking up the blitz.

I am not at all convinced that the 2-back system is really going to catch on in the NFL either, alot of the scenarios recently have involved a quality veteran, and then a young stud picked up in the draft to eventually replace him.

Addai was the Colts replacement for Edge, but Rhodes was given a majority of the starts at the beginning of the year so the rook could be eased into the action.

Rhodes isn't a Colt anymore.

Dillon was the main man in New England, but Maroney was always going to be the starter this year.

Dillon isn't a Patriot anymore.

Thomas Jones was the No.1 in Chicago, but Benson was drafted the year before and gradually seen more action through the year.

Jones isn't a Bear anymore.

The Giants had a nice combo with Tiki and the short yardage battering ram Brandon Jacobs.

Tiki is now retired and Droughns has been brought in as insurance only.

Unless you have alot of cap room its hard to imagine keeping two talented RB's on the roster for more than a single year - New Orleans have managed it, but only because Reggie Bush is so different in style to Deuce McAllister.

I fully expect Norwood to supplant Warrick Dunn at some point this year - thats if Petrino doesn't draft a RB high - either way I cannot see Dunn being there next year.

The only feasible way to bring in a high round RB is if you lack talent at that position or have an ageing starter - or at least thats how I see it.

I just get the impression that some Steeler fans can't see past the 'big-back' option because Bettis was such a success - the fuss made over 7th round draft pick (and big-back) Cedric Humes confirmed that to me.

Oh and you can't have Willis - I want him to become a Patriot :wink02:

DACEB
04-04-2007, 09:29 AM
Ok, I can agree that the Steelers will look at RB at some point - most teams take a punt on one at some stage of the draft.

But I don't agree that it is a draft priority and shouldn't be a 1st day pick.

From what I have seen from FWP and his rate of improvement, I think he can only get better at the other areas of his game - such as picking up the blitz.

I am not at all convinced that the 2-back system is really going to catch on in the NFL either, alot of the scenarios recently have involved a quality veteran, and then a young stud picked up in the draft to eventually replace him.

The only feasible way to bring in a high round RB is if you lack talent at that position or have an ageing starter - or at least thats how I see it.

I just get the impression that some Steeler fans can't see past the 'big-back' option because Bettis was such a success - the fuss made over 7th round draft pick (and big-back) Cedric Humes confirmed that to me.

Oh and you can't have Willis - I want him to become a Patriot :wink02:

I agree with you 100%. Two starting quality backs will pretty much last only one season together until one wants to be the guy. But IMO we have a unique scenerio because the Rooneys took a chance on FWP and IMO he is a loyal, high character, team oriented guy. I also don't believe we will draft a back until the 3rd round, which will eliminate that power struggle between the two backs you see with the 1st round picks.

That being said, your right, the two back scenerio is a short lived situation. You really need the starter and a really good second teir guy that realizes his role. In N.E. you have a unique situation because you have Maroney now but Faulk has stuck around for some time (he accepts his role) and he could have tested the FA waters. I'm sure you would have loved to have Dillon back (for the Bettis type of role) but he is what he is, he wasn't the type to play second fiddle. Your fortunate in N.E. to have many players that are highly team oriented, and that is the type of players that can make the two back system work.

I think there are guys in the draft that will go day 1 and would play well alongside FWP. IMO Leonard, Hunt are team oriented guys and Bush with his injury might have to accept his lower stock and a lesser role.

Oh and it's funny you mentioned Willis. I was going to write the same exact thing. I'm sure you would love Willis in the middle especially with Thomas on the perimeter. I'm hoping that does'nt happen. :flap:

ARKIESTEEL
04-04-2007, 12:32 PM
Are we sure we have the punt returner covered looks like this lost us 2 or more games last year???????

Elvis
04-05-2007, 07:57 PM
RB Darius Norwood would look great in a Steelers' uni I believe.. I think that the young man Willie Reid will be back strong this coming season and our PR job will be his and maybe the kicking return game as well
My boss was a Jewish Carpenter
Elvis

Blitzburger
04-05-2007, 08:33 PM
We definitely need to look at a bigger, bruising kind of back some time in the middle rounds. This DOES NOT mean 2nd string RB, but a hybrid back -- third downs, shorty yeardage, FB (Kreider's getting old and worn down). I know Tomlin likes to run, and he likes a lead blocker, and we need a versatile guy who can do both.

Forget CB and WR -- our secondary is fine and our receiving corp is a perfect mix of young and old, speed and size. Santonio had control problems and definitely cost us some games, but he kept getting better AND got more confident in the return game. I'm not worried about him. What we need is depth at the O-line (or at least better production from our starters) and LBs.

GBMelBlount
04-05-2007, 09:19 PM
Value may dictate that we take a back on the first day...OLB..CB...OT... and Punter are the only positions I would put over RB..and we can get a very good punter in the 5th round. If there is a run on CB's or OT's...I would grab Hunt or Leonard in the second or Wright in the 3rd before I reached for a CB or OT in those rounds....The way I look at it is...If we are up in the second..do I want Tony Hunt as a RB ... Tanard Jackson as a CB...or Ryan Harris as an OT?....I personally see very little difference between Tanard Jackson in the second or C.J. Gaddis in the fourth....or Ryan Harris in the second and Brandon Frye in the fourth....BUT the difference between Hunt and a fourth or fifth rounder is pretty significant.

According to football Outsider, statistcally, the most starters percentagewise who are picked 1st round and stick are at QB, RB & WR. So RB point is understood. However, LLT is Pooo Davenport no good? I am far more concerned (based on what I've learned) with deficiencies at O-line. Do you really think a 5th round O-lineman...Colon..etc., etc......Will compare to a 1st or 2nd round stud(s)? Remember, when O-line sucked in '03, THEE Jerome only averaged 2.9 yards per carry. So will a stud RB with a crappy line matter? Also, IMHO, we have alot invested in CB and I think Taylor although he was an embarassment last year, has the talent and will come around this year (God let's hope so!) Time will tell. I respect you LLT and am just asking humble questions. Thx.

DACEB
04-06-2007, 11:07 AM
I don't know what round, but we need to look at a RB in the draft. I don't believe the Steelers will take a RB before the 3rd round. IMO that's why they brought Pittman in for the interview. I think they would like Hunt but if he's not there in the 3rd maybe they look to Pittman.

Tony brought up a good point that we normally have four HB's on the roster. If you look at the roster even with the beloved Kuhn we only have three. Even with the talk about going with 4-WR sets, I believe we will still look to run the ball 55% to 60% of the time. With those percentages your looking at easily over 500 carries over the course of the season. You don't want to give FWP more than 320-350 carries for the year, because as Tomlin has hinted FWP will probably be getting touches out of the backfield as well. That leaves 200 or so carries for Davenport. Can he handle that? sure, but who is there to back-up in case of injury? Do you really want to see a backfield lineup of Davenport and Kuhn? And no I haven't forgotten about Haynes, but at this point we cannot count on him.

I would like to see Kuhn groomed to be a fullback. Krieder isn't getting any younger and what happens if he gets injured. Nevertheless we need another RB. Maybe the FO should think about Brian Leonard in the 2nd round. He played at fullback in college. He is not at a FB's weight now, but he is an intelligent, versitile player who could probably fill in at either position in a pinch.

DACEB
04-06-2007, 01:28 PM
I think we got a little off topic on this thread with the whole running back thing so I'd like to get back to the draft in general.

I'd like to list some players that IMO would be great additions to our team. I'm only listing the first three rounds. I'm also listing it without the thought of trading up or down, simply #15, #46 and #77. I'm listing more than one player per round. I'm trying to be as realistic as possible. Now I know I'll probably hear that this guy or that guy won't be there, but we don't even know who will go #1. I'm taking into consideration value first, team need second and this is IMO.

First round #15;
Patrick Willis ILB, much needed youth and speed at the position and the draft is deep in DE/OLB
Adam Carriker DE, much needed youth and could help right away if Keisel moves to OLB
Levi Brown OT, could be an immediate upgrade at the position
Dwayne Bowe WR, good size and blocking ability and could help right away
Darrelle Revis CB, could be an upgrade or at least depth and replacement for Townsend

Second round #46;
Jarvis Moss DE/OLB or Lawrence Timmons OLB, it's possible either could fall and that would be great value
Anthony Spencer or Tim Crowder DE/OLB, more realistic in the second round
Brian Leonard RB, smart and versitile team player, played fullback in college also
Ryan Kalil C, could compete for center job and add flexability to O-line
Marcus McCauley CB, good size and would add depth in the secondary
Tony Ugoh OT, could compete and add depth to the O-line, could also help in future with cap space

Third round #77;
Tony Hunt RB, great value would add depth and a great compliment to FWP
Ikaika Alama Francis DE, great value big upside
Quinten Moses DE/OLB, you have to grab him if he's still on the board
Stewart Bradley OLB, good size great in coverage good value, would be great on special teams IMO
Samson Satele C or Josh Beekman OL, great value and depth to the O-line

I know that's alot of guys but who knows where the draft will go. There are rumors that there could be more trades than ever this year. Depending on who we pick first changes everything else.

tony hipchest
04-06-2007, 02:33 PM
I think we got a little off topic on this thread with the whole running back thing so I'd like to get back to the draft in general.

I'd like to list some players that IMO would be great additions to our team. I'm only listing the first three rounds. I'm also listing it without the thought of trading up or down, simply #15, #46 and #77. I'm listing more than one player per round. I'm trying to be as realistic as possible. Now I know I'll probably hear that this guy or that guy won't be there, but we don't even know who will go #1. I'm taking into consideration value first, team need second and this is IMO.

First round #15;
Patrick Willis ILB, much needed youth and speed at the position and the draft is deep in DE/OLB
Adam Carriker DE, much needed youth and could help right away if Keisel moves to OLB
Levi Brown OT, could be an immediate upgrade at the position
Dwayne Bowe WR, good size and blocking ability and could help right away
Darrelle Revis CB, could be an upgrade or at least depth and replacement for Townsend

Second round #46;
Jarvis Moss DE/OLB or Lawrence Timmons OLB, it's possible either could fall and that would be great value
Anthony Spencer or Tim Crowder DE/OLB, more realistic in the second round
Brian Leonard RB, smart and versitile team player, played fullback in college also
Ryan Kalil C, could compete for center job and add flexability to O-line
Marcus McCauley CB, good size and would add depth in the secondary
Tony Ugoh OT, could compete and add depth to the O-line, could also help in future with cap space

Third round #77;
Tony Hunt RB, great value would add depth and a great compliment to FWP
Ikaika Alama Francis DE, great value big upside
Quinten Moses DE/OLB, you have to grab him if he's still on the board
Stewart Bradley OLB, good size great in coverage good value, would be great on special teams IMO
Samson Satele C or Josh Beekman OL, great value and depth to the O-line

I know that's alot of guys but who knows where the draft will go. There are rumors that there could be more trades than ever this year. Depending on who we pick first changes everything else.i like your list and we would be lucky to have those options fall in our lap. since we cant rely on luck i think we'd have to make some things happen and draft some of these players a round early.

i would love to see the giants do a reverse trade with us like last year to move up and take paul poz and us get their 1st and 2nd.

1st - timmons
2nd - spencer or crowder
2nd - grubbs or ugoh
3rd - bush leonard, or hunt
4th - best cb available
4th - best wr available
5th - best ol available
5th - punter

steelersfanman92
04-07-2007, 06:11 PM
Steelers should get Darelle Revis CB from Pitt in the first round. He would no doubt be an upgrade and he is a return threat. History shows that you can get a good OLB in the latter rounds just look at Thomas now on the Pats he was a second day draftee.

GBMelBlount
04-07-2007, 08:02 PM
Steelers should get Darelle Revis CB from Pitt in the first round. He would no doubt be an upgrade and he is a return threat. History shows that you can get a good OLB in the latter rounds just look at Thomas now on the Pats he was a second day draftee.

Good point 92, In fact, here is a FO article from a year ago that shows that the percentage of starting OLB's by round drafted isn't much different from round 1 through 4.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/2006/04/24/ramblings/nfl-draft/3828/[/URL]

if hyperlink doesn't work, try cutting & pasting to address bar.

GBMelBlount
04-07-2007, 08:21 PM
i like your list and we would be lucky to have those options fall in our lap. since we cant rely on luck i think we'd have to make some things happen and draft some of these players a round early.

i would love to see the giants do a reverse trade with us like last year to move up and take paul poz and us get their 1st and 2nd.

1st - timmons
2nd - spencer or crowder
2nd - grubbs or ugoh
4th - best cb available
4th - best wr available
5th - best ol available
5th - punter

This looks good Tony, assuming trade. Another thing, notice people are interested in that I didn't think was as big a priority is your RB 3rd, apparently we need more depth and some think we need more quality. And how is Timmons size & speed for his position?

DACEB
04-08-2007, 05:26 PM

Right on Tony, again I made the list without trades but that would be a sweet scenerio. A trade down would be huge IMO, there is alot of value in the 2nd and two picks would be great. As I had stated in the previos post I think we would be well served to grab any of those three RB in the 3rd.

JuniorSteelerfan
04-08-2007, 08:36 PM
Steelers won't get a back in the second. Maybe 4th-7th, if they even get a back.

I agree if the steelers were going to draft a "big back" why did they resign Davenport, and yes we need a replacement for Porter, but the offensive line is another big hole to fix to make sure we keep Ben safe in the pocket long enough to pass.

MasterOfPuppets
04-08-2007, 09:10 PM
i like your list and we would be lucky to have those options fall in our lap. since we cant rely on luck i think we'd have to make some things happen and draft some of these players a round early.

1st - timmons
2nd - spencer or crowder
2nd - grubbs or ugoh
4th - best cb available
4th - best wr available
5th - best ol available
5th - punter

i like the list but i don't see grubbs or ugoh on the board that late in 2 since teams like the raiders and cardinals will probably be looking for linemen in 2. we may have to settle for sears,satele,or ramirez. i still think cb will be addressed before rb considering our pass D was a much bigger problem than the rushing O. unless they feel one of those 3 are just too much value to pass up. they could probably land someone like deshawn winn. in the fourth.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-09-2007, 01:18 PM
According to football Outsider, statistcally, the most starters percentagewise who are picked 1st round and stick are at QB, RB & WR. So RB point is understood. However, LLT is Pooo Davenport no good? I am far more concerned (based on what I've learned) with deficiencies at O-line. Do you really think a 5th round O-lineman...Colon..etc., etc......Will compare to a 1st or 2nd round stud(s)? Remember, when O-line sucked in '03, THEE Jerome only averaged 2.9 yards per carry. So will a stud RB with a crappy line matter? Also, IMHO, we have alot invested in CB and I think Taylor although he was an embarassment last year, has the talent and will come around this year (God let's hope so!) Time will tell. I respect you LLT and am just asking humble questions. Thx.

Excellent post..and nice stats...!!!..I think Davenport is servicable not not the change of pace back that we need...and would like to see an upgrade of youth and talent at the position

What I think the Steelers will do and what I think they should do isnt the same.
We have the depth to grab the "best player available" in a lot of areas..instead of having to reach for players

My world #1...Brown if he is available...would be better than anyone else projected at the #15 slot...(very possible may be gone and we should consider trading down)
Steelers #1: Will probably go OLB..in the form of Moss or Timmons

My world #2: Would love to see either Quinton Moses (who I think will be a serious stud) or Tony Hunt based on value.
Steelers #2: May go RB with Hunt or CB with McCauley

My world #3: OLB Stewart Bradley if they go RB in Round #2...Or RB Wright if they go OLB
Steelers #3: May go Wright if they go with a CB in #2, if not, they may go with OT Martin

after three round..and with all the possibilities of several positions..it becomes very hard to make predictions on specific players...but I would like to see
4) Josh Gaddish S/CB 4b)Laurent Robinson WR
5) Enoca Lucas C 5b) Dan Saducci OG/C
6) Adam Podlesh P
7) Ryan McBean DE

aussiesteelers
04-09-2007, 02:21 PM
There has been some really good steeler mocks, but this is what i think we should do.

1st round
Patrick willis or moss. The both could play very well in our scheme now and in the future. moss is a bit of a risk as i don't know how good he is in coverage which is necessary for a 3-4 OLB but is a great pass rusher. willis is simply a beast

2nd round
CB McCauley or Spencer if we don't get a moss. You cant have enough depth in secondary, why not take a mccauley if he is the best player available. IMO the only real need is OLB. if we don't take moss, spencer can still be a valuable addition and add depth to our OLB

3rd round
Best Technician at tackle. I don't know because it is hard for me to see college ball but i think we need a tackle who has great feet and is able to stop the good pass rushers. Personally, i don't see what the hype is about Levi Brown. I know he will be gone by now but to me from the little i've seen of him, he isn't a great technician and hasn't got great feet.

Stlr4Life
04-09-2007, 02:38 PM
I think we need a bigger back to compliment FWP. Look at last years SB teams. Both had 2 good RB's. The year before was the same with us in SBXL. I think N. Davenport is becoming our 3rd back. I think we take T. Hunt or M. Bush in the 3rd. I perfer Hunt if he's there. I think they also need a CB. There pass defense wasn't only bad because of the corner play it was because of the lack of pass rush. Which is why I think they will address these 3 positions with the first three picks.

First, I would like to say I would like to trade down to the 20's and take a pass rusher and pick up an additional pick. But if we can't do that I think with Tomlin not being afraid to take BPA & not drafting for need like the steelers in the past. Will look something like this.

1-(15). D. Revis-BPA & a need maybe not this high but no pass rusher's value is worthy of this pick.

2-(46). L. Woodley-Convert to OLB

3-(77). T. Hunt or M. Bush

nwksteeler
04-10-2007, 10:55 AM
We definitely need to get a corner on day1, aside from Ike and Mcfadden we have nothing at corner. Deshea is ok at bet and Ricardo will get better elswhere(Deon Figures). As far as rbs go, we do need depth, there are some quality backs to be had on day2.

Stlr4Life
04-10-2007, 11:40 AM
The latest I would want to draft a RB is Rd#4, like a Kolby Smith.

paw-n-maul-u
04-10-2007, 12:01 PM
I pray and hope to god that we do not pick at #15 ... I have a feeling that someone will fall to us, i mean really, who would have thought donte whitner would have gone in the top ten last year??? surely not I.

Some team is going to reach based on need, and that'll drop someone very nice right into our laps.

However, I still don't see much value at drafting anyone at the 15th pick. I read somewhere that we are almost a lock to trade down. Excellent.

pick up a late first round and an extra second. Then you can take your WR or RB in rd. 2 or 3 and not feel bad. I also hope we package a few picks to move back into day 1.

I would much rather reach back into the third round to pick up hunt or bush or leonard than have to sweat it out on day 2. ... hell i would even reach back into the late second for hunt or bush.

Imagine picking up a WR, RB, OL, OLB or DE/ tweener all in the first 100 picks of the draft.

Tony hunt or Michael Bush or leonard, Sidney rice, Ben grubbs or Staley or Blaylock, Moses or Spencer or Charles johnson ... so many possibilities that could give us instant playmakers at vital skill positions and two upgrades to the bread and butter of our system, an o-lineman that you DON'T have to worry about pampering for three years. and someone who can immediatley contribute as a pass rush specialist.

not to mention some punch to your run game and a BIG target for ben to throw at.

rambling i know but i am pretty passionate about not staying put at 15.

Stlr4Life
04-10-2007, 03:27 PM
I totally agree paw-n-maul-u :cheers: I've been saying this for awhile that I would love to trade down and pick up an additional 2nd or 3rd pick. The way I see us being able to trade down is if Alan Branch falls because of his weight & laziness. I could see Dallas wanting to move up to get him. Since we have 9 picks already I say we package a 2nd day pick (because of the point value chart) with it to get their Rd#2 (53 overall).

Quote-Imagine picking up a WR, RB, OL, OLB or DE/ tweener all in the first 100 picks of the draft.

I would love every one of these positions. :cheers:

polamalufan43
04-10-2007, 03:42 PM
We definitely need to get a corner on day1, aside from Ike and Mcfadden we have nothing at corner. Deshea is ok at bet and Ricardo will get better elswhere(Deon Figures). As far as rbs go, we do need depth, there are some quality backs to be had on day2.

I would say a CB in the early rounds of day one, but I don't think that's our top priority just yet though.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

MasterOfPuppets
04-10-2007, 03:48 PM
if were gonna be using some of the 4-3 and having kiesel playing olb,shouldn't a true DE be considered a very early pick neccessity? shouldn't we be looking at say..carriker?

polamalufan43
04-10-2007, 03:58 PM
if were gonna be using some of the 4-3 and having kiesel playing olb,shouldn't a true DE be considered a very early pick neccessity? shouldn't we be looking at say..carriker?

Maybe, this is a good point.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

Blitzburger
04-10-2007, 04:10 PM
[QUOTE=paw-n-maul-u;236019] pick up a late first round and an extra second. Then you can take your WR or RB in rd. 2 or 3 and not feel bad. I also hope we package a few picks to move back into day 1.

I would much rather reach back into the third round to pick up hunt or bush or leonard than have to sweat it out on day 2. ... hell i would even reach back into the late second for hunt or bush.

Imagine picking up a WR, RB, OL, OLB or DE/ tweener all in the first 100 picks of the draft.

Tony hunt or Michael Bush or leonard, Sidney rice, Ben grubbs or Staley or Blaylock, Moses or Spencer or Charles johnson ... so many possibilities that could give us instant playmakers at vital skill positions and two upgrades to the bread and butter of our system, an o-lineman that you DON'T have to worry about pampering for three years. and someone who can immediatley contribute as a pass rush specialist.[QUOTE=paw-n-maul-u;236019]

I couldn't agree more. Also, some people are talking about a tru 4-3 DE (Carriker), to let Keisel play OLB -- Keisel can't play OLB, and it will take more than one draft pick to give the Steelers a true 4-3 personnel. What we need is a tweener (I personally LOVE Charles Johnson), keep the base 3-4 personnel because that allows you to be flexible (It's MUCH easier for OLB in a 3-4 to play on the line in a 4-3 look than an OLB OR a DE in a 4-3 to play out of position in a 3-4). That's why the 3-4 is so good -- look at New England, Baltimore, the Panthers (when they went had those Playoff runs a couple of years ago), not to mention the LeBeau-era Steelers.

Elvis
04-10-2007, 04:16 PM
I would like to see the Steelers get their LB Timmons at 15 myself. Then I think we must look at DB in the next couple rounds or DE help. Our O Line needs some help as well in my opinion, but I also think that the Steelers need to address WR in the middle rounds also.
Here are some of my thoughts..round by round
1. LB Lawrence Timmons 6'1" 234 lbs. 4.59 Speed
2. DB Marcus McCauley Fresno St. 6' 3/4" 203 lbs. and 4.39 Speed
3. OT Doug Free N. Illinois 6'6" 324 lbs.
4. RB Darshawn Wynn Florida 5'10" 232 lbs. 4.48 speed
5. WR Steve Breaston Michigan 6'1/2" 200 lbs. 4.41 speed
6. OG Tala Esera Hawaii 6'3" 310 lbs.
7. DT/DE Quintin Echols Kansas St. 6'1" 328 lbs.

billybob
04-23-2007, 06:27 AM
You guys should give the port a chance,he is still fresh,and i think he can be a nice compliment to our running game.He can produce on special teams too.All the man needs is a chance.L like the port,long live the port!

pittsburghp8baller
04-23-2007, 07:56 AM
i think we could get a better idea of what kind of defense mike tomlin plans to use with our first pick of the draft. if we pick up someone like lawrence timmons at OLB or anyone like that we will probably stick with a 3-4. if he plans on switching to a 4-3 i see us taking a DB like Revis or Hall or a good pass 4-3 pass rusher like Carriker or Moss

Davison_K
04-24-2007, 07:38 AM
I really don't think the Steelers will draft a corner round 1. Yes our pass defense isn't the best in the league, but I see the steelers taking an OT or a OLB/DE maybe even a DT if a good one is still there on the board. Tomlin really likes Ike so I don't see him taking a corner. Personally I am a big fan of McFadden. I am more worried about the FS spot.

nwksteeler
04-25-2007, 09:54 PM
With the problems we are having with Faneca. I wouldn't be opposed to moving him to Arizona, if we can move up and get Gaines in addition to a later pick maybe a fourth rder.

nwksteeler
04-25-2007, 10:00 PM
Is it just me, or has noone payed attention to our terrible secondary.

MasterOfPuppets
04-25-2007, 11:14 PM
Is it just me, or has noone payed attention to our terrible secondary.

did you pay attention to our terrible pass rush.

cbalke
04-29-2007, 05:31 AM
i was pretty shocked we took no o-line yesterday. i thought that was by far the worst part of our team last year. every snap was played on our side of the line...can't do that and win a whole lot. now - if that was coaching, that's one thing. grimm is gone now and someone else has taken his place. but, if it's players, as i tend to think it is, how come we don't take a franchise o-lineman who will control that line for the next ten years?

DACEB
04-29-2007, 09:55 AM
I hope that we will be seeing alot of Timmons and Woodley by midway through the season. That to me would mean that they are performing well at least in situational roles, or actually outperforming a resident starter.

IMO these two have the potential to be playmakers in a number of situations. I can see both helping out in either the 3-4 or 4-3. Timmons could be highly effective coming of the edge as a pass rusher in either the 3-4 or 4-3. Woodley could be an effective rushing end in the 4-3 and an effective OLB in the 3-4. Timmons offers speed on the outside and Woodley a more stout presence on the outside, could be key in certain matchups. Both are heavy hitters and are known for making plays.

DACEB
04-29-2007, 10:31 AM
Those of you that scoff at the Spaeth pick should think about a few things.

1. Our running game will obviously still be a huge part of the offense.
2. Heath Miller could be an even better version of Dallas Clark.
3. We now have another multidimensional player for the red-zone. HUGE target in the red-zone, along with the ability of an additional blocker in the red-zone.

Just a positive thought!

louisvillecards
04-29-2007, 10:44 AM
they passed up mike bush, bettis jr for matt spaeth mark my word they will regret that

cbalke
04-29-2007, 11:55 AM
Those of you that scoff at the Spaeth pick should think about a few things.

1. Our running game will obviously still be a huge part of the offense.
2. Heath Miller could be an even better version of Dallas Clark.
3. We now have another multidimensional player for the red-zone. HUGE target in the red-zone, along with the ability of an additional blocker in the red-zone.

Just a positive thought!

i was wondering about that pick. i know tuman really hasn't panned out the way everyone was hoping he would. maybe this is the guy who will help get establish the run with good blocking and check down receiving? i sure hope he picks up the playbook quickly.

Mosca
04-29-2007, 12:27 PM
they passed up mike bush, bettis jr for matt spaeth mark my word they will regret that

According to Mike & Mike (the only ESPN guys I'd trust), Bush sent a workout video to all the teams that was just awful; he looked to be overweight, not quick, and he was favoring his injured leg. They went so far as to wonder why his agent even sent the tape. That is probably why we passed on him. He also has a rep for being big, but not being punishing. Bettis jr might not be so accurate; if he turns out to be a great pro, Franco jr might be more like it.

Tom

stillers4me
04-29-2007, 01:07 PM
I don't know about the rest of you........but after seeing the video on David Sepulveda and reading this, I'm feeling REAL good about this pick!

DANIEL WADE SEPULVEDA

Punter

Baylor University Bears

6:02.7-229

Dallas, Texas

Highland Park High School

4th Round ? 112th Overall

OVERVIEW

Daniel Sepulveda has been one of the most consistent punters in college football annals, so, it was only fitting that he became the first two-time winner of the Ray Guy Award, given to the top punter in the nation?He earned the award as a sophomore in 2004 and was selected again after the 2006 season?The Guy Award is named for 2004 College Football Hall of Fame Inductee Ray Guy, widely consider the best punter in the history of the NFL?Sepulveda joins Mike Singletary (Davey O'Brien Award; 1979, 1980) as the only Baylor players to win a national award twice?Sepulveda is one of only the 13 players in NCAA Division I history to earn a major national award twice?He is the first to do so in non-consecutive seasons?His career punting average (45.24 yards per punt) is the best in the history of Division I football for players with at least 250 punts?He also established an NCAA record with 94 career punts of 50-plus yards?At Highland Park High School, Sepulveda battled through injuries while earning second-team academic All-State honors as a senior linebacker?The team posted a 22-3 in his last two seasons, as he helped the Scots advance to the quarterfinals of the playoffs and capture a district title his final year?He was a National Honor Society member and competed on the school's track team?After he was not recruited out of high school, Sepulveda enrolled at Baylor and joined the team as a walk-on outside linebacker?He competed on the scout team at that position in 2002, but despite not handling any punting duties since his junior high school days, he took over those duties for Baylor in 2003?He earned first-team All-Big Twelve Conference honors from College Football News and second-team recognition from league coaches, in addition to being selected first-team Academic All-Big Twelve?That year, he set a school season record with 26 punts for 50 yards or longer?He ranked 23rd in the nation with 87 punts for 3,750 yards (43.1 avg.), including 23 kicks that were downed inside the 20-yard line?However, he did have four of his attempts blocked, as teams averaged 11.0 yards per return vs. the Bears?With an off-season to hone his punting skills, the aspiring linebacker knew he met his calling in 2004 ? he is now a punter, and an elite one at that?Sepulveda earned Ray Guy Award honors as he ranked third in the nation with a 45.97-yard average on 62 punts totaling 2,850 yards?He had 26 of his attempts downed inside the 20-yard line and team's managed just 217 yards on 23 returns, as the Bears finished fifth nationally with a 40.56-net yard average?Sepulveda became only the sixth two-time All-American in school history and first since free safety Thomas Everett in 1985 and 1986 after ranking second in the Big Twelve and third in the nation with a 46.18-yard punting average, kicking 62 times for 2,863 yards?That figure also ranked as the second-best single-season average in Baylor history?Nineteen of his punts were for 50 yards or longer, as he had 13 attempts downed inside the 20-yard line?The Bears finished 16th nationally with a 36.78-net yard average?As a senior, Sepulveda became a consensus All-American and two-time Ray Guy Award recipient?He led the nation in punting with an average of 46.48 yards per punt, the highest single-season average in school history?Baylor ranked third nationally in net punting at 39.01 yards per punt?Baylor opponents started no better than their own 20-yard line on 52 percent of Sepulveda's punts this season (34 of 66), including 26 punts inside the 20 (39 percent) and eight inside the 10 (12 percent)?He also had 25 of his attempts gain 50 yards or longer?In 45 games as the team's punter, Sepulveda had 277 attempts for 12,531 yards (45.24 avg.), with four blocked kicks?39 of his punts were ruled touchbacks and 82 were downed inside the 20-yard line?He had 94 of his boots gain at least 50 yards, including 21 from 60 yards out, with a career-long of 78 yards.

Jeremy
04-29-2007, 01:51 PM
They gave up a pick to get a punter.

Could this draft get worse?

cbalke
04-29-2007, 02:36 PM
how did we end up getting that javelin thrower from revenge of the nerds, lamarr?

nwksteeler
04-29-2007, 02:36 PM
Special teams is an important part of games, field position could be the difference of a game Sepulveda was an excellent pick especially since another punter had already come off the board it was a definite need pick, and this kid was the best in the draft.

Jeremy
04-29-2007, 02:40 PM
Special teams is an important part of games, field position could be the difference of a game Sepulveda was an excellent pick especially since another punter had already come off the board it was a definite need pick, and this kid was the best in the draft.

He wasn't the best. We could have had the best in the third round but passed.

bangpow
04-29-2007, 05:54 PM
The Steelers might have addressed the OLB/DE spot, but they didn't address a damn thing with the draft.

They didn't address the CB spot, they didn't address the HB spot, and they sure as hell didn't help their OL at all.

But hey, they drafted a friggin' TE and a friggin' PUNTER in the 3rd and 4th roudnds!!!!

Oh yeah, they drafted a WR with their 7th round pick. That's great!

The Timmons pick I'm not too high on and I guess I don't mind the Woodley pick, but the rest sucked ass.

They still should've taken Grubbs with their first pick!

louisvillecards
04-29-2007, 09:53 PM
According to Mike & Mike (the only ESPN guys I'd trust), Bush sent a workout video to all the teams that was just awful; he looked to be overweight, not quick, and he was favoring his injured leg. They went so far as to wonder why his agent even sent the tape. That is probably why we passed on him. He also has a rep for being big, but not being punishing. Bettis jr might not be so accurate; if he turns out to be a great pro, Franco jr might be more like it.

Tom

I would agree he looks out of shape and a little heavy. But the last game he played he had 128 yards and 3 touchdowns at halftime and broke his leg early in the 3rd quarter.Will Wolford lives in Louisville and said he heard the steelers were wanting him in the first round but his second surgery scared them off.

louisvillecards
04-29-2007, 09:59 PM
They did pickup William Gay though which is awesome. Ricardos days are numbered

Jeremy
04-29-2007, 10:00 PM
They did pickup William Gay though which is awesome. Ricardos days are numbered

Going that late means you're fighting to make the roster, not replacing a starter.

louisvillecards
04-29-2007, 10:05 PM
he will make the roster trust me

Jeremy
04-29-2007, 11:02 PM
he will make the roster trust me

I've heard that before.

louisvillecards
08-08-2007, 10:52 PM
Will the person on here who argued with me about whether Will would make the team.How do you feel about him now.Are you still sure he will get cut now. step forward please.:grin: