PDA

View Full Version : ESPN posts Faneca news

coachspeak33
04-04-2007, 01:42 PM
I stumbled upon some Steeler news on espn.com... It was on their Rumor Central page, but you need to have an insider subscription to view the details.

It had a picture of Big Al and the article was titled "Extended Stay?"

Not really sure what to make of this since I do not have an insider pass. :dang:

I thought I would throw this out there, as the Faneca topic has been a hot one for steeler fans on (and off) this wonderful site of ours here at the fever. :tt02:

With the draft only a few weeks away, maybe some legit news concerning the rooneys plan for arguably our most productive football player....God I hope so...cause that would mean there is a chance we actually do something other than watch a guy walk and get nothing in return. :thumbsup:

Newsflash for the rooneys.....YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THIS GUY AT LEAST 50 MILLION BUCKS....PERIOD....if you dont, for better or worse, someone else will.

If your not gonna pony up the dough...trade him now and get something in return :cheers:

Stillers43
04-04-2007, 01:58 PM
Agreed! We need to decide right now to either pay him or trade him. If someone like Arizona offers their #1 and say #3 for Fanaca and our #1 or even Fanaca for a #2 straight up. I think we need to take it! Fanaca showed signs of starting to wear down last year. Let's get something for him.

ben2hines=6
04-04-2007, 02:21 PM
yea i agree except i wouldnt give up the two pick......we are hurting in the cap as it is now....fancea will be the defenition of a cap casualty but it seems it has to be done....i love the guy but if we need the money for troy than thats how we have to play it

polamalufan43
04-04-2007, 03:12 PM
Honestly, I would hate to see him go. But, if we are getting something in return that is possibly better, then I would say go for it.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-04-2007, 03:29 PM
I say trade him for a 1st round pick......straight up..........

paw-n-maul-u
04-04-2007, 04:02 PM
well seeing as though no one on here actually HAS espn insider, I'll try and correct this thread and head it in the right direction.

The ESPN insider "rumor central" tid-bit on faneca said nothing of a trade ... and nothing of being disgruntled (something that seems more and more fabricated right here on this board than anywhere else) ... all it talked about was a contract extension, actually. And that negotiations well.... actually you just read it:

Extended stay?
<Apr. 2> The Steelers have had contract talks with Faneca, but nothing is imminent, writes Pro Football Weekly. That said, a source close to the club believes there's still hope of getting a deal done at some point. Faneca, one of the top guards in the game, will be an unrestricted free agent after the '07 season.

The only thing that throws me off is "still hope of getting a deal done" ... "still hope" must infer that negotiations took place and didnt go very well. I think it's obvious that Faneca wants to stay a steeler, but I mean really ... dockery and whoever that other guy was that got 7 year 50 mil contract?? are you serious!?!? If I didn't get a deal atleast that then, well, Hasta manana steelers

83-Steelers-43
04-04-2007, 06:08 PM
and nothing of being disgruntled (something that seems more and more fabricated right here on this board than anywhere else)

That's not necessarily true. I'm not sure how often you bother listening to the Pittsburgh media but it's been stated by a few heads around here that Faneca is not happy with his contract situation.

As late as last night on Sports Beat, Stan Savern was interviewing Bouchette (if you don't like Bouchette, don't bother reading further, very simple) and he stated he talked with Faneca's agent. Faneca's agent told Ed that it's "nothing personal", but he will not talk about about Faneca "Now, tomorrow, or during the season" when dealing with his contract. His agent went on to say that the next time he will talk about Faneca is when "a person named Rooney" brings up his name.

So no, I do not agree with it being "fabricated here on this board". Faneca is not a happy camper at this point in time.

Also, for those interested, Ed has also been talking to Tomlin. Stan asked him how the situation will be between Tomlin and Colbert. Ed went on to say it will be "50/50", but Tomlin will not hesitate to push his point home. Ed stated that "unlike Cowher", Tomlin doesn't raise his voice in order to get his point across, but he will "wear you down" until you give in and accept his proposals. This part is taken out of quote, but he basically went on to say that Tomlin will not put up with any :poop: when dealing with the players. Straight shooter so to speak. Strict, tough, but fair.

fansince'76
04-04-2007, 06:12 PM
The only thing that throws me off is "still hope of getting a deal done" ... "still hope" must infer that negotiations took place and didnt go very well. I think it's obvious that Faneca wants to stay a steeler, but I mean really ... dockery and whoever that other guy was that got 7 year 50 mil contract?? are you serious!?!? If I didn't get a deal atleast that then, well, Hasta manana steelers

That's the point many of us here have been trying to make. Faneca is NOT going to get $50 mil (at least from the Steelers), so it's time to look at at least getting something for him via a trade.

NV STEELERS 723
04-04-2007, 06:28 PM
Ben is the only guy they would pay 50 mil to.....I don't want to see Alan go either, but a 1 and a 3 sound pretty good.

Atlanta Dan
04-04-2007, 08:03 PM
Faneca's agent told Ed that it's "nothing personal", but he will not talk about about Faneca "Now, tomorrow, or during the season" when dealing with his contract. His agent went on to say that the next time he will talk about Faneca is when "a person named Rooney" brings up his name.

That is the second time I have heard Faneca's agent refer to AJR II by last name only. It is a minor point (and AJR II apparently can forget hearing any of the "Mr. Rooney" greetings his Dad gets), but I regard the agent referring to AJR II by last name only as calling him out (remember Cowher going ballistic when Butch Davis referred to him by his last name only several years ago?)

I agree it is "nothing personal" but as far as the chances of a new Faneca/Steelers contract I would rate the odds as "nothing probable." I am drifting into the trade him for something camp.

83-Steelers-43
04-04-2007, 08:35 PM
I agree it is "nothing personal" but as far as the chances of a new Faneca/Steelers contract I would rate the odds as "nothing probable." I am drifting into the trade him for something camp.

Sorry Dan, I should have made it more clear. When Faneca's agent stated that it was "nothing personal", it was directed towards the media for not going into details on the situation; not with the negotiations or lack there of.

GBMelBlount
04-04-2007, 09:57 PM
I had read how we have not had CONSECUTIVE two bad O-line years in recent times. However, with Hartings retired, if we lose Faneca, what's left? I am terrified. Can we salvage something if we lose Faneca even with some strong picks (takes time time to assimilate.) Are our backs up against a wall or am I sorely mistaken. Please tell me I'm wrong!

83-Steelers-43
04-04-2007, 10:21 PM
However, with Hartings retired, if we lose Faneca, what's left?

Add on Simmons.

tony hipchest
04-05-2007, 01:12 AM
we are maxed to the cap right now. we have faneca and polamalu to resign. in 2008 our cap value goes up about $5.8 mil just to pay for extensions given to players like ward, parker, taylor, keisel, okolbi, and a. smith.

plus we gotta worry about players like starks, m. smith, d. krieder (gone), haggans, simmons, and hoke, whose current contracts will be expiring.

all these players may need to be cut just to pay for ben. heres the salaries for the players under contract: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07005/751393-66.stm

does anyone smell salary cap hell if we sign players like faneca to huge contracts and continue to backload them?

c. hampton is about the only player we got who actually gets a bit cheaper as time goes on.

ARKIESTEEL
04-05-2007, 06:57 AM
we are maxed to the cap right now. we have faneca and polamalu to resign. in 2008 our cap value goes up about $5.8 mil just to pay for extensions given to players like ward, parker, taylor, keisel, okolbi, and a. smith.

plus we gotta worry about players like starks, m. smith, d. krieder (gone), haggans, simmons, and hoke, whose current contracts will be expiring.

all these players may need to be cut just to pay for ben. heres the salaries for the players under contract: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07005/751393-66.stm

does anyone smell salary cap hell if we sign players like faneca to huge contracts and continue to backload them?

c. hampton is about the only player we got who actually gets a bit cheaper as time goes on.

Are you saying that after this season thes guys will be cut "starks, m. smith, d. krieder (gone), haggans, simmons, and hoke, whose current contracts will be expiring."
Just wondering when it comes to the salary cap game I am a babe in the woods. I know you all get tired of hearing it but I would hate to see Krieder get let go I think guys like him are what the Steelers are all about.

polamalufan43
04-05-2007, 06:58 AM
Are you saying that after this season thes guys will be cut "starks, m. smith, d. krieder (gone), haggans, simmons, and hoke, whose current contracts will be expiring."
Just wondering when it comes to the salary cap game I am a babe in the woods. I know you all get tired of hearing it but I would hate to see Krieder get let go I think guys like him are what the Steelers are all about.

Wow, that would definately be different, but IMO I don't see it happening, but it is possible.

DACEB
04-05-2007, 07:18 AM
I had read how we have not had CONSECUTIVE two bad O-line years in recent times. However, with Hartings retired, if we lose Faneca, what's left? I am terrified. Can we salvage something if we lose Faneca even with some strong picks (takes time time to assimilate.) Are our backs up against a wall or am I sorely mistaken. Please tell me I'm wrong!

Look at the Jets, they had two rookies starting on the O-line last year and they made the playoffs. Just an example.

TasmanianTroy271
04-05-2007, 01:46 PM
Yeah, but the Jets were a special case. I'd have no problem having Joe Thomas and Ben Grubbs starting for us next year, but we have no chance of getting both of them. The jets were lucky enough to have 2 first rounders, which they spent on the top O-lineman at their respective positions.

tony hipchest
04-05-2007, 02:29 PM
Just wondering when it comes to the salary cap game I am a babe in the woods. I know you all get tired of hearing it but I would hate to see Krieder get let go I think guys like him are what the Steelers are all about.these are the guys who will need to be looked at in order to keep faneca and troy. keeping troy is gonna add about $4 mil to his salary. keeping faneca would probably only add $2-3 mil. add those to figures to the 5.8 or so we go up for players whose cap number increases, and there is no wiggle room for any other free agents.

something has gotta give. we cant have 20 players pushing money into the future. take hines ward for example:
year...salary..............cap value
2006... 2,750,000....... 5,753,000
2007... 3,585,000...... 5,918,000
2008... .4,700,000..... 7,450,000
2009.... 5,800,000..... 8,550,000

in the same year hines is scheduled to make $8.5 mil, ben is due an $8 mil bonus and will be in the final year of his contract. so we can keep faneca and troy but alot of important players will possibly let go to make room.

JuniorSteelerfan
04-05-2007, 05:18 PM
It would be a shame to see Faneca go but if we got something good in return like Arizona's First round pick then let's take it then Faneca can reunite with his mentor Russ.:tt02:

Stlrs4Life
04-05-2007, 05:54 PM
Saw this on KFFL:

Steelers | Faneca upset with contract
Wed, 4 Apr 2007 21:30:59 -0700
Gerry Dulac, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, reporting for the Sporting News, reports the reason Pittsburgh Steelers Pro Bowl OL Alan Faneca skipped the first voluntary workouts of the offseason is because he is upset that his contract hasn't been renegotiated.

Also:

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=193291

steelafan
04-05-2007, 06:30 PM
Saw this on KFFL:

Steelers | Faneca upset with contract
Wed, 4 Apr 2007 21:30:59 -0700
Gerry Dulac, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, reporting for the Sporting News, reports the reason Pittsburgh Steelers Pro Bowl OL Alan Faneca skipped the first voluntary workouts of the offseason is because he is upset that his contract hasn't been renegotiated.

Doesn't Dulac say there is "some concern" that his reason for missing the voluntary workouts is that his contract hasn't been renegotiated? I think that's enough of a difference to note. A lot of us are concerned, but we don't have any facts to report.

Also, I have read that Zerlein is the one who recruited Faneca to play at LSU and that he coached him at least one year, so they are already acquainted with each other.

The remarks that have been attributed to Faneca's agent don't sound like the usual type of we're-not-happy-with-the-way-negotiations-are-going comments. I'd like to hear an official statement from the Rooneys or Colbert about just what their plan is for Faneca. Have they actually made an offer? Or are they just going to blow hime off? I'm not convinced their plans even include Faneca, or some of the other expensive players.

GBMelBlount
04-05-2007, 09:00 PM
Doesn't Dulac say there is "some concern" that his reason for missing the voluntary workouts is that his contract hasn't been renegotiated? I think that's enough of a difference to note. A lot of us are concerned, but we don't have any facts to report.

Also, I have read that Zerlein is the one who recruited Faneca to play at LSU and that he coached him at least one year, so they are already acquainted with each other.

The remarks that have been attributed to Faneca's agent don't sound like the usual type of we're-not-happy-with-the-way-negotiations-are-going comments. I'd like to hear an official statement from the Rooneys or Colbert about just what their plan is for Faneca. Have they actually made an offer? Or are they just going to blow hime off? I'm not convinced their plans even include Faneca, or some of the other expensive players.

Wow, this O-line stuff is crazy. Smith 6.8 mil against the cap! Can we afford to give Faneca what he wants? But, can we afford to lose Faneca in addition to losing Hartings? If we do give Faneca the deal he wants, would we / should we let Smith go? If we didn't keep Faneca, I am assuming we would have to keep Smith? And I was concerned about defense!

polamalufan43
04-06-2007, 04:24 PM
Wow, this O-line stuff is crazy. Smith 6.8 mil against the cap! Can we afford to give Faneca what he wants? But, can we afford to lose Faneca in addition to Hartings? If we do give Faneca the deal he wants, would we / should we let Smith go? If we didn't keep Faneca, I am assuming we would have to keep Smith? And I was concerned about defense!

First, HUH????
Second, slowly and clearly
Third, jk jk lol

Ok, my thoughts, if Smith is that much against the cap then we should attempt to drop him or re-do his contract to make room for Faneca(if the Rooney's are even planning to keep him in the first place,)

Haiku_Dirtt
04-12-2007, 02:28 PM

Does anyone really truly believe that we will turn our offensive line around in one draft with Alan around?

No one from inside the Steeler Org should publicly announce that we are rebuilding since you want to keep the bar high. It became painfully obvious that we need to go a completely different direction with the o-line. And that means fresh bodies - the more the merrier since you never know who steps up from the fourth round to the NFL caliber.

It's a perfect time for Alan to sign a fat contract elsewhere and for the Steelers to start loading up on draft picks. I'd rather see the Rooney's bolstering the scout department for KC to find the next late round gems.

I know Matt Leinart would sleep better with a Whiz-Faneca desert reunion.

GBMelBlount
04-12-2007, 09:01 PM
Although not glamorous, regardless of Faneca, I really can't see anywhere that needs more attention than O-line.