PDA

View Full Version : Steelrs meet w/ Levi Brown Today

steelcitysfinestXL
04-04-2007, 03:11 PM
quote:

Penn State offensive tackle Levi Brown visited the Steelers' South Side facility today. He's the first projected first-round draft pick to meet with team officials during the final round of interviews for the upcoming NFL Draft.
Brown (6-5, 321 pounds), who's projected to be taken in the top half of the first round, isn't expected to be available when the Steelers select at No. 15. But he's a big-time talent, and the Steelers have a history of moving up in the draft.

Brown was a four-year starter at left tackle, considered the most valuable position on the offensive line. He started all 11 games he played in 2006, missing two (Northwestern and Minnesota) as a result of surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his knee.

Brown will NOT be around at #15 so the only way we get this guy is if we trade up, which for him would be worth it!!!

polamalufan43
04-04-2007, 03:13 PM
I'd say go for it. He seems worth it.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

steelcitysfinestXL
04-04-2007, 03:19 PM
yeah me too, unload starx and maybe another draft pick to the Cardinals or maybe the Texans (not too sure where they are in the draft but i know they need linemen) and move up to take Levi or Gaines and immediately uprgrade to a probowler at either posistion as soon as this year!!!

polamalufan43
04-04-2007, 03:20 PM
yeah me too, unload starx and maybe another draft pick to the Cardinals or maybe the Texans (not too sure where they are in the draft but i know they need linemen) and move up to take Levi or Gaines and immediately uprgrade to a probowler at either posistion as soon as this year!!!

I wouldn't unload him just yet, maybe another O-line member for now. Although, if in training camp Starks/someone else performs poorly than go ahead and let them go. I agree, Texans might jump at a chance to get a lineman.

Blitzburger
04-04-2007, 04:35 PM
I wouldn't unload him just yet, maybe another O-line member for now. Although, if in training camp Starks/someone else performs poorly than go ahead and let them go. I agree, Texans might jump at a chance to get a lineman.

I agree with Starx - I prefer trading our pick and Faneca to the Cards, so that everyone wins ==> Faneca gets reuinited with the brain trust in Arizona, we get Levi (even though I LOVE Faneca and would rather extend his contract, though we'd probably have to pay much too much with all the RIDICULOUS O-line salaries of the last couple years to guys who couldn't block Faneca's pinky-toe).

The only problem with trading an O-lineman to draft one, is that any team we make that trade with (arizona, Houstan) obviously already has a need at the O-line, otherwise they wouldn't make the trade. And why not just draft Brown themselves?

steelcitysfinestXL
04-05-2007, 09:40 AM
I agree with Starx - I prefer trading our pick and Faneca to the Cards, so that everyone wins ==> Faneca gets reuinited with the brain trust in Arizona, we get Levi (even though I LOVE Faneca and would rather extend his contract, though we'd probably have to pay much too much with all the RIDICULOUS O-line salaries of the last couple years to guys who couldn't block Faneca's pinky-toe).

The only problem with trading an O-lineman to draft one, is that any team we make that trade with (arizona, Houstan) obviously already has a need at the O-line, otherwise they wouldn't make the trade. And why not just draft Brown themselves?

Good points but Arizona would probley be best served w/ a guy w/ some experience. Although guys like Joe Thomas and Levi Brown could probley start for any team, why wouldnt you want to sign a guy who is a perenial All-Star and prob has 6 good years left. Yeah i too agree that Faneca would be a better trade for the steelers in the long run, but i would hate to hear the media and local fan buzz here in the Burgh if Faneca were to be traded. All fingers would be pointed at Tomlin, who would be accused of trying to oust all the Cower/Whiz/Grimm guys. But imagine if we could unload Faneca and get a young fella to replace him this year and deal Marvel Smith and Haggans when their contracts are up. With the exception of Aaron Smith, Farrior and Ward (who should all retire steelers) We would have the rest of our team w/ 6 years or less and would be contenders for years to come... Now that would be nice to have a relatively young core group of guys.

Newzfoxjr
04-05-2007, 12:50 PM
Eh. I think we should go defense in the first...There'll be a couple sleeper lineman around when we pick in the 2nd...so yeah. But, that's just me.

Elvis
04-05-2007, 08:47 PM
If we trade Faneca then who is gonna take his place? hmmmmm
Dont like the idea of trading him but chosing an OG early in this draft would be a good idea as well in my opinion.
Jesus Is Alive
Elvis

The Duke
04-05-2007, 09:25 PM
If we trade Faneca then who is gonna take his place? hmmmmm
Dont like the idea of trading him but chosing an OG early in this draft would be a good idea as well in my opinion.
Jesus Is Alive
Elvis

Yeah choose an OG to replace Faneca...eventually, not this year and hopefully not next :tt02:

polamalufan43
04-06-2007, 04:36 PM
I could see Faneca leaving us sometime, I don't really think he'll retire a steeler, if he does, I'll be surprised. Anyway, I would feel better if we had a sure replacement for him if we did. Faneca is a good lineman, but he isn't the best. And if we have to let him go, trade him with a team who needs a lineman and would be willing to give something useful in return.