PDA

View Full Version : Casey the new locker room leader??

stillers4me
04-05-2007, 07:49 AM
Whaddaya think?

Hampton is ready to be more vocal
Thursday, April 5, 2007
By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

Nose tackle Casey Hampton isn't the type of guy to hold back, especially when he is on the football field.

Hampton is aggressive and goes all out on every play. It's that kind of effort that earned him his third Pro Bowl trip this year.

But, off the field, Hampton has been holding back a little bit. And he is the first to admit it.

When Hampton came to the Steelers as a rookie he came in as a vocal leader. But when he got into the locker room, he looked around and saw that there were already vocal leaders on the team, so he took a back seat to them in that role.

"When I came in here I was a vocal guy but we already had guys in place who had that role," said Hampton. "A lot of times I stood back. I'd say stuff only when I had to."

But there have been changes in the locker room, the most recent being the departure of Joey Porter, one of the most vocal players in the locker room. That will have an impact on how Hampton approaches his leadership role this year.

"With Joey gone I will be a lot more vocal and say what I need to say," said Hampton, who is well-respected by his teammates. "Since I have been here I have definitely not said anything. I have said a few things. I get on guys when I need to. I like doing that. That was Joey's thing, so I let him do his thing. Now I will talk more." :thumbsup:

Right now, though, Hampton is leading by example as one of the many veterans who is taking part in voluntary workouts on a regular basis at the team's practice facility. He didn't like the way things went for the team last season, finishing 8-8, and wants to do whatever he can to turn things around this year. :cheer:

"Any time you have a season where you don't make the playoffs it's good to get back into it and get back in the groove," said Hampton. "It's good to be around the guys and work out with them. It helps you get that bad taste out of your mouth after having that bad season."

Hampton is using this time of year to make sure that he is in shape, something that he strives for so he is ready when the season starts.

"I go in every season trying to workout and get better," said Hampton. "That is my thing. My main thing is to get in shape and be in the best possible shape that I can and get my body ready to go."

http://news.steelers.com/article/74903/

Crushzilla
04-05-2007, 08:00 AM
I think its great. There is obviously some animosity in the locker room with the decision of the new staff (more like not hire Whiz or Grimm) and the depature of Peezy. I think its awesome that Casey wants to step up and lead in his absence... Its nice to see he's part of the solution not the Faneca... PROBLEM.. Freudian slip (Alan, you're a great guard, but fly straight, man)

Fans and players alike realize Hampton's importance to this team, this defense, and especially our run stopping rep.

Kudos, Casey

dhosmer
04-05-2007, 11:05 AM
hopefully he starts rolling his jersey up past his belly button for pregame like joey too.

stillers4me
04-05-2007, 11:32 AM
hopefully he starts rolling his jersey up past his belly button for pregame like joey too.

Somehow the visual of that is not quite the same as the visual of Joey doing it.............:sofunny:

my my my.....that Peezy has some mighty fiiiiiiinnnnnee abs!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

steelerbackr4life
04-05-2007, 11:56 AM
That says alot of Caseys character. I believe he and Peezy hung out alot together off the field. For him to not show animosity is a huge statement to the rest of the team!

Stillers43
04-05-2007, 12:18 PM
Steelerbackr4life: You have an awesome avatar. Brings back a lot of memories from da burgh. The Panini's version here in Cleveland, not quite the same.

DACEB
04-05-2007, 12:35 PM
When the Big Snack talks, people listen!

SteelCityMan786
04-05-2007, 12:57 PM
I'll take Hampton as the new locker room leader. It's his time to shine now as the leader of the D.

verks36
04-05-2007, 01:03 PM
back when he was at texas he was the vocal leader of the team.

He can do it and he is a classy guy

Steelerstrength
04-05-2007, 01:50 PM
Big Casey as the new leader on D? I am D-lighted (D-lited, whatever!) to hear this! The Big Man has the credibility and size to be the one!

GBMelBlount
04-05-2007, 09:49 PM
back when he was at texas he was the vocal leader of the team.

He can do it and he is a classy guy

V36, good to have you back in the fold. Like I said a while ago, these players are highly motivated & passionate, some of the best athletes in the world. Someone like Joey who was great, can suppress other great leaders. With Joey or any other leader gone, it only opens the door for countless other leaders. Someone will ALWAYS flll the void. Sometimes the most vocal leader (Joey) isn't necessarily the best. No Knock on Joey. When Chuck Knoll, in a rare moment, fired up the first Steelersw SB team, they were ignited & kicked butt. SB 74 is a classic. Sometimes the people who are more sincere & don't always run their mouths can have even more impact when they give they're input as a leader!

steelerbackr4life
04-06-2007, 10:00 AM
Steelerbackr4life: You have an awesome avatar. Brings back a lot of memories from da burgh. The Panini's version here in Cleveland, not quite the same.

Thank you :wink02:

RoethlisBURGHer
04-06-2007, 12:33 PM
Casey Hampton was the vocal leader of the defense at Texas,and he was smart by not being so vocal in his first few years.

Now it's his time,and he loves it.I am sure he learned a lot from Peezy.

polamalufan43
04-06-2007, 05:03 PM
I think it's great. If he think he can help, by all means help.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

Godfather
04-14-2007, 09:38 PM
I'm glad we have him on the team--not only because he's willing to step up now, but also because he was humble enough to defer to the established leaders when he came in.

Edman
04-14-2007, 09:46 PM
Why not? Casey has the intangibles of being a leader. I'm all for it. Go Big Casey!

Haiku_Dirtt
04-15-2007, 02:42 PM
That says alot of Caseys character.!

In more ways than one.

polamalufan43
04-15-2007, 03:52 PM
Why not? Casey has the intangibles of being a leader. I'm all for it. Go Big Casey!

Exactly, and something tells me he'll be able to keep to his word and be able to back it up on the field, which is almost a must.

ben2hines=6
04-16-2007, 02:36 PM
yea its great casey wants to be the leader and step up on the D..something that didnt happen for our offense last year....but what about farrior...there may not be a better leader on the field for us.....he may not be loud on the interviews but i could see him taking over the defensive leadership easily

steelersfanmx
04-16-2007, 03:43 PM
I'll take Hampton as the new locker room leader. It's his time to shine now as the leader of the D.

:iagree:

polamalufan43
04-16-2007, 03:55 PM
And if not him, then someone is gonna have to. I have no doubt that Casey will, but in the off chance that he doesn't, someone better...

memphissteelergirl
04-16-2007, 03:57 PM
Somehow the visual of that is not quite the same as the visual of Joey doing it.............:sofunny:
my my my.....that Peezy has some mighty fiiiiiiinnnnnee abs!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

LOL...True dat! :sofunny: :sofunny: