PDA

View Full Version : A rare NFL 'feel good' story - enjoy

Livinginthe past
04-05-2007, 11:45 AM
On April 9, Jim Davis, an English professor who lives in Maine, will finally get a shot at fulfilling his unlikely dream of playing in the National Football League.

And he's 43 years old.

At a time when we're spilling so much e-ink talking about guys like Adam "Pacman" Jones and Chris "Pukeman" Henry, it's refreshing to talk about a man who is chasing a big dream rather than destroying one.

Davis reportedly can bench-press more than 500 pounds, and he can run the 40-yard dash in less than 4.5 seconds. Not bad for a guy who didn't play high school or college football.

"As a freshman I signed up," Davis told PFT, "but there weren't enough people to play. Then I went to work to help my family." Later, Davis joined the Marines, where he served for 10 years.

But Davis has played organized ball. Last year, he suited up with the Brazil (Indiana) Wildcats. Before that, he played semi-pro football in Evansville, as a fullback and outside linebacker. He also has coached high school football for seven years.

Davis says that he has been trying to get an NFL tryout for four years. His quest landed him on ABC's The Great American Dream Vote, which was cancelled last week after only two showings.

But the dream goes on, and Davis hopes to convince others that there's nothing wrong with aiming high. "There was a high school coach that told the kids one year that they need to enjoy their high school seasons because they came from too small of a school to ever make it at college level or impossible for them to ever think about the NFL," Davis said. "I wanted to show them that nothing was impossible."

It hasn't been easy for a guy with a full-time job and a wife and three young sons, especially since there are few elite training facilities in Maine. "My training for the 40 sucks here," Davis said. "I should do great Monday, but I know that if I were signed with a team and working out I could blow it away."

Davis hopes to play fullback, safety, or special teams at the NFL level.

Are the odds stacked high against him? Hell yes. But should that keep him from continuing to push? Hell no.

We applaud Jim Davis and everyone like him, and the family members who support them. Chasing a big dream is about much more than making the big dream come true. The journey, successful or not, can open all sorts of unexpected doors.

And it can inspire others to dream big, too.

Good luck, Jim.

Courtesy of PFT

Newzfoxjr
04-05-2007, 11:48 AM
Wow, that's cool. I can see how if he does make it into the NFL, this will inspire the hell out of a lot of people.

ARKIESTEEL
04-05-2007, 11:53 AM
Good luck MR. Davis:thumbsup:

stillers4me
04-05-2007, 12:09 PM
I think there are alot of good people in the league. It's just the schmucks that get all the press.

Good luck, Jim!!

HometownGal
04-05-2007, 02:11 PM
What a great story - thanks for posting it LITP. :cheers:

This man has the same attitude as I've always had - keep on reaching for those dreams no matter how impossible or insurmountable they may seem. :thumbsup: I'm keeping my fingers crossed (and my toes) that this man gets to fulfill his dream. Hope to see you in the NFL, Mr. Davis! :cheers:

boLT fan
04-05-2007, 06:17 PM
Has this been reported anywhere other than ProFootballTalk?

ChronoCross
04-05-2007, 06:32 PM
At his age he probably has a few good years in him since he has not been in the league 10 are so years taking a beating. So best wishes to him.

Suitanim
04-06-2007, 02:57 PM
Has this been reported anywhere other than ProFootballTalk?

I concur...until a legit source confirms, I file this under "Batboy to tryout for NY Jets", or "Space Alien from Area 51 to be new Cardinals QB"...

polamalufan43
04-06-2007, 03:16 PM
Wow, I'm speachless.

Good luck to him

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

Suitanim
04-06-2007, 03:26 PM
Actually, upon further scrutiny, there's really nothing here to begin with. Some guy tried out for some show that got pulled, and he still dreams that he can play for the NFL. If you re-read, there's no mention of any team or anything, just a bunch of vague nonsense...

So PFT is perfectly safe printing this story...too bad it means nothing other than some 40 year old guy wants to play for the NFL, just like about 200 million other guys aged 5-95.

Great "reporting", PFT...

ThatGuy246
04-06-2007, 09:56 PM
I can understand the sentiments of thoseskeptical on this, but quite frankly, and despite it being from PFT, I hope it's true. With the league's image on the line and banking on how Goodell approaches the big questions, this would be a big PR boost right now. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like the majority of straight-and-narrow players are going to get saddled with a very bad rap because of a callous few. I'd love to see someone like him get their shot...

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
04-06-2007, 10:43 PM
If the guy makes it he can be the star of the sequel to the movie Invincible :toofunny:

Livinginthe past
04-06-2007, 11:09 PM
I done a quick search and found mention of it on a 49ers message board - apparently San Fran. are going to give him a try-out.

It'll be an interesting one to keep an eye, see if he can make it into TC.

GBMelBlount
04-07-2007, 12:03 AM
Growing up I had a handmade border in my bedroom..."Happy are those who dream dreams and are ready to pay the price to make them come true." Was my HS yearbook post too. Who knows what will happen but GB this guy for chasing a dream against all odds! Anyone see that "miraculous" movie or whatever it was with Wahlberg trying out for Eagles?

MasterOfPuppets
04-07-2007, 01:55 AM
lmao!!!..RUDY...RUDY!!:sofunny: