PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Need To Improve Punt Rankings

SteelersFever
04-06-2007, 03:41 AM
Title: Steelers Need To Improve Punt Rankings
Source: Steelers Fever
Author: John Smathers

Link: http://www.steelersfever.com/editorials/0721.html

Don't forget to click the 'Editorials & Interviews' sub-forum for the most recent Steelers Fever editorials. :smile:

stlrtruck
04-06-2007, 08:33 AM
They need to improve in more than just punt rankings. That headline should read SPECIAL TEAMS! And on top of the fact that they definitely didn't play as a team for 16 games...but hey, I'm just a fan - what do I know?

19ward86
04-06-2007, 10:04 AM
gardocki more than likely wont be with the steelers next season, the punter will probably be mike barr or whatever his name is. gardocki is almost 85 yrs old, he needs to improve in the offseason or retire.

AZ_Steeler
04-06-2007, 02:46 PM
They need to improve in more than just punt rankings. That headline should read SPECIAL TEAMS! And on top of the fact that they definitely didn't play as a team for 16 games...but hey, I'm just a fan - what do I know?

:cheers: Ain't that the truth! The Steelers special teams was absolutely horrendous last year and is probably one of the main reason they didn't make the playoffs last year. :coffee:

GBMelBlount
04-07-2007, 12:50 AM

Isn't that the truth! Amazing how little we talk about that. Great article about special teams (I think it was posted today..Friday.)

polamalufan43
04-07-2007, 03:28 PM
Good read, thanks for posting and 100 percent agreed

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

BettisFan
04-07-2007, 07:51 PM
lol yea guys its not just punting its all ST. They were not a good asset of the team last season

Elvis
04-09-2007, 05:13 PM
I know that I think that Gardocki is in the same boat that Staley has been the last few years, except Gardocki actually participated in the games where Duce just gathered a pay check every week for being a practice dummy:jawdrop:

Jeremy
04-09-2007, 05:16 PM
lol yea guys its not just punting its all ST. They were not a good asset of the team last season

They have been a weakness for a few years now. Think of the loss to the Patriots in the conference championship game. Special teams were a huge reason why they lost that game.

MasterOfPuppets
04-09-2007, 05:41 PM
adam podlesh from MD inround 5....:tt02:

polamalufan43
04-09-2007, 05:57 PM
I know that I think that Gardocki is in the same boat that Staley has been the last few years, except Gardocki actually participated in the games where Duce just gathered a pay check every week for being a practice dummy:jawdrop:

That and a sweatsuit model,

But in all honesty, I think Gardocki has a chance of coming back, which IMHO Staley didn't. As long as we see some better punting, like the kind in 2005, then the ST can stay the way they are. If not, start cutting those who need cut.

Elvis
04-09-2007, 08:20 PM
adam podlesh from MD inround 5....:tt02:
I dont know if he will last that long but I think that he would be a great pick up in there somewhere..

jasonpirkle
04-10-2007, 10:42 AM
What was willie reid's injury last year anyway? Felt like there was more to him not playing than an injury.

Stlr4Life
04-10-2007, 03:28 PM
I would like to see them draft a punter with our 6th Rd pick. :thumbsup:

MasterOfPuppets
04-10-2007, 04:14 PM
I would like to see them draft a punter with our 6th Rd pick. :thumbsup:

there's 2 exceptional ones in the draft this year,septula,and podlesh. septula had a little better distance average,but podlesh had better stats pinning inside the red zone. podlesh was even invited to the combine. both will probably be gone by the end of the 5th.

polamalufan43
04-10-2007, 04:45 PM
What was willie reid's injury last year anyway? Felt like there was more to him not playing than an injury.

Well, I believe it was something reguarding his foot. Whether or not there was more to it than an injury, is for us to decide. The FO never said anything about anything else, so idk.

HometownGal
04-10-2007, 05:26 PM
But in all honesty, I think Gardocki has a chance of coming back, which IMHO Staley didn't. As long as we see some better punting, like the kind in 2005, then the ST can stay the way they are. If not, start cutting those who need cut.

Agreed. I'm not going to run the guy out of town on a rail because he had a less than stellar season last year. The entire team was out of sync, other than FWP. If there is a decent punter available in a middle or late round, grab him, let 'em battle it out in camp and may the best toesies win. :thumbsup:

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-10-2007, 05:47 PM
Agreed. I'm not going to run the guy out of town on a rail because he had a less than stellar season last year. The entire team was out of sync, other than FWP. If there is a decent punter available in a middle or late round, grab him, let 'em battle it out in camp and may the best toesies win. :thumbsup:

Adam Podlesh...younger...stronger leg...and a better 5th round pick than we have traditionally taken

....was recruited by Penn State, Syracuse, Michigan State, Wisconsin, and Stanford ....opted to attend the University of Maryland .... sat out the 2002 season as a redshirt. He became the team’s starting punter the following season... averaging 42.3 yards per punt on 53 attempts with a long of 63 yards and 22 kicks inside the opponent’s 20 yard line. His 42.3 yard average was the best ever for a freshman punter at Maryland..... He was named second team all-ACC for his play as a freshman.
As a sophomore, Adam averaged 43.7 yards per punt on a career high 63 attempts.... His long was a career high 70 yards ....21 kicks were downed inside the opponent’s 20 yard line. He was named second team all-ACC for the second consecutive season. As a junior, Adam averaged 43.6 yards per punt on 44 attempts. His long was 61 yards and 17 of his kicks were downed inside the opponent’s 20 yard line.
As a senior, Adam averaged 42.9 yards per punt on 56 attempts. He had a long of 63 yards and a career high 23 kicks downed inside the opponent’s 20 yard line. He was named second team all-ACC for the fourth consecutive season.

Podlesh has a great deal of experience against good competition.... having been the starting punter for the University of Maryland in the ACC for the past four years. He is a good athlete and an extremely hard worker.... He has a strong leg and gets good hangtime on his kicks. He is accurate and skilled at pinning opponent’s inside their own 20 yard line. In four years Adam has punted the ball 216 times without having a single punt blocked. He didn’t kickoff in college but he has the leg strength for it and 86% of his kickoffs went for touchbacks as a senior in high school. ...He has the ability to come in and start immediately and he should be a second day pick in the 2007 NFL draft.

HometownGal
04-10-2007, 06:02 PM
Adam Podlesh...younger...stronger leg...and a better 5th round pick than we have traditionally taken

....was recruited by Penn State, Syracuse, Michigan State, Wisconsin, and Stanford ....opted to attend the University of Maryland .... sat out the 2002 season as a redshirt. He became the team?s starting punter the following season... averaging 42.3 yards per punt on 53 attempts with a long of 63 yards and 22 kicks inside the opponent?s 20 yard line. His 42.3 yard average was the best ever for a freshman punter at Maryland..... He was named second team all-ACC for his play as a freshman.
As a sophomore, Adam averaged 43.7 yards per punt on a career high 63 attempts.... His long was a career high 70 yards ....21 kicks were downed inside the opponent?s 20 yard line. He was named second team all-ACC for the second consecutive season. As a junior, Adam averaged 43.6 yards per punt on 44 attempts. His long was 61 yards and 17 of his kicks were downed inside the opponent?s 20 yard line.
As a senior, Adam averaged 42.9 yards per punt on 56 attempts. He had a long of 63 yards and a career high 23 kicks downed inside the opponent?s 20 yard line. He was named second team all-ACC for the fourth consecutive season.

Podlesh has a great deal of experience against good competition.... having been the starting punter for the University of Maryland in the ACC for the past four years. He is a good athlete and an extremely hard worker.... He has a strong leg and gets good hangtime on his kicks. He is accurate and skilled at pinning opponent?s inside their own 20 yard line. In four years Adam has punted the ball 216 times without having a single punt blocked. He didn?t kickoff in college but he has the leg strength for it and 86% of his kickoffs went for touchbacks as a senior in high school. ...He has the ability to come in and start immediately and he should be a second day pick in the 2007 NFL draft.

Well, LLT..............alrighty then! :thumbsup: :wink02:

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-10-2007, 06:07 PM
Well, LLT..............alrighty then! :thumbsup: :wink02:

middle round pick!!!..we are on the same sheet of music methinks!!!:tt02: :tt02:

MACH1
04-10-2007, 06:11 PM
As long as who ever the kicker is can kick longer than 30-35 yds and giving up field position.

Stlr4Life
04-11-2007, 04:51 PM
there's 2 exceptional ones in the draft this year,septula,and podlesh. septula had a little better distance average,but podlesh had better stats pinning inside the red zone. podlesh was even invited to the combine. both will probably be gone by the end of the 5th.

I'm not sure they are that high on getting a punter in the 5th. Me neither. Maybe with 5b.

MasterOfPuppets
04-11-2007, 06:33 PM
I'm not sure they are that high on getting a punter in the 5th. Me neither. Maybe with 5b.

i'd rather get a startng quality punter in the fifth ,than take a chance on a player who probably won't make the roster.

HometownGal
04-11-2007, 06:46 PM
middle round pick!!!..we are on the same sheet of music methinks!!!:tt02: :tt02:

Most definitely. :thumbsup: While we're on the subject of toes - I love Jeff Reed, but he needs to work on those kickoffs. It is rare when we see a kickoff going into the endzone and that hurts us just as much as Gardocki's inconsistency with the punts.

polamalufan43
04-11-2007, 07:01 PM
Most definitely. :thumbsup: While we're on the subject of toes - I love Jeff Reed, but he needs to work on those kickoffs. It is rare when we see a kickoff going into the endzone and that hurts us just as much as Gardocki's inconsistency with the punts.

Agreed. Jeff Reed, well, I'll say he's okay, far from dropping the love bomb right now, lol.