PDA

View Full Version : BoRRRRRRRRRRRRRiNNNNNNNNNNNNg!

IamTheSteelGod
04-06-2007, 05:26 AM
Why are the Steelers so boring in the off season? We never splash cash, and we always take for ever to re-sign our favourite players! Any views?

Stainless Steel
04-06-2007, 05:56 AM
The Rooneys play it smart.

Buzz05
04-06-2007, 06:32 AM
If it aint broke dont fix it...

HometownGal
04-06-2007, 06:55 AM
Well, we could play Bungle and have a half or dozen or so players end up in the slammer - that would liven things up a bit. :jawdrop:

Oft times, silence is golden. :wink02:

IamTheSteelGod
04-06-2007, 06:58 AM
The problem though it is broke and we should fix it! I don't think its clever not signing Alan and Troy, and by not finding someone to replace Starks and co. I will never understand why we didn't sign the Duckett!

Buzz05
04-06-2007, 07:07 AM
The problem though it is broke and we should fix it! I don't think its clever not signing Alan and Troy, and by not finding someone to replace Starks and co. I will never understand why we didn't sign the Duckett!

Troy will come this summer I am guessing. They will not let him walk. Faneca has to get over his whining and crying over Grimm and show he wants to be with the team for the long haul. If he starts acting like a probowler then the front office will pay him like one. Until then he needs to figure out where he wants to be. The Steel City or the desert...But I do hear its a dry heat...

HometownGal
04-06-2007, 07:13 AM
I will never understand why we didn't sign the Duckett!

We signed Davenport instead, who did a decent job in the 2nd half of the season. He was at the right place at the right time and came to the Steelers for the right price.

Edman
04-06-2007, 07:20 AM
After last offseason, I welcome the quiet. Be careful what you wish for.

Livinginthe past
04-06-2007, 07:24 AM
There is a thread over on the Patriots board - "The F.O. is smarter than you"

I think that applies here also - they've been doing what they do for quite awhile and they've done it successfully.

The Steelers F.O. is smarter than you, me and just about all of us.

Relax.

stlrtruck
04-06-2007, 07:38 AM
I think several teams have already shown that just by signing key free agents doesn't mean it's a great advantage - example: T.O.

As far as I can remember, the Rooney's have been frugle in their spending during the FA periods. The Rooney's look for that team player (not an individual), the diamond in the rough.

Our team isn't broke, they had a very bad performance last year but the key components are there for the Steelers to be dominant.

Buzz05
04-06-2007, 07:42 AM

Relax.

I couldnt agree more. There is a reason we have 5 Lombardi's sitting in the Great Hall...The Rooney's know what they are doing.

stillers4me
04-06-2007, 07:47 AM
A new coach and staff is enough excitemnt for me. I prefer Ben and Co. stay out of the headlines this year. Besides, I live in Cinci and I can get my thrills on the sports pages here.!!! Who Dey gonna arrest next?

verks36
04-06-2007, 08:10 AM
Ya dude just chill out.

This shouldnt surprise you we never sighn anyone big during the offseason

JUST WAIT TILL THE DRAFT
Then u wont be bored

tony hipchest
04-06-2007, 08:52 AM
hell, im still pumped by the sean mehan signing. i need to wind down from that still, just to ba able to handle all the excitement of the draft.

fansince'76
04-06-2007, 08:55 AM
FA is overrated, and Duckett wasn't the next Bus. Next.

steelerbackr4life
04-06-2007, 08:57 AM
I would have been more upset with a Duckett signing than none at all.

RoethlisBURGHer
04-06-2007, 11:45 AM
Ducket isn't what this team needed.

You know why we don't sign anyone in free agency?It's not because the Rooney's are "cheap",it's because we are limited in cap space.We don't have the money to sign a Nate Clements or anyone else of that nature.We put most of our money into our own players.

SteelCityMan786
04-06-2007, 12:05 PM
Well, we could play Bungle and have a half or dozen or so players end up in the slammer - that would liven things up a bit. :jawdrop:

Oft times, silence is golden. :wink02:

Yep, we could be in the case of Bungle. I'd rather have a no news is good news off-season unless some good news shows up.

Stainless Steel
04-06-2007, 12:19 PM
Ducket isn't what this team needed.

You know why we don't sign anyone in free agency?It's not because the Rooney's are "cheap",it's because we are limited in cap space.We don't have the money to sign a Nate Clements or anyone else of that nature.We put most of our money into our own players.
Yep. We have a draft to deal with too. That costs money, ya know. :smile:

paw-n-maul-u
04-06-2007, 12:47 PM

I think that applies here also - they've been doing what they do for quite awhile and they've done it successfully.

Relax.

Ya know, you could make the argument that the patriots went out and signed the best LB and WR available this off season (thomas and stallworth) ... which was obv. their two most pressing needs. The steelers have some serious problems at LB and O-line. So instead, we released our best LB and signed a "versatile", cheap, not-much-upside, O-line utility man. Granted the patsies had a lot more cap room to work with, but i think if the situation were reversed, the steelers would definitely not make a big FA splash like that.

If the steelers signed thomas and stallworth that would be enough FA news to hold us steelers fans over for the next three off seasons.

And ofcourse I agree with the steelers releasing porter. Just playing a little devils advocate. However, i am still anxious to see what their plan is to replace him (porter). And it better not sound anything like "james harrison".

polamalufan43
04-06-2007, 03:19 PM
IT's "boring" cause we have enough brains to stay out of trouble with the law (can you say Bungals????)

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

Suitanim
04-06-2007, 03:52 PM
There are several things funny about this thread:

-The basic misunderstanding of the Steelers FO (some might call it ignorance, but I'll be nice)

-The Patriots fan being a mod...oh, that's ALWAYS a problem with this board

- The Pats mod pimping Pats boards...that's not cool.

- Look, the Steelers FO won a SB just a year ago. They did it without wasting crap money on crap players.

Anyway, if you want to cheer for a team that overpays for overrated players every year, become a Giants or Cowboys fan...I'm sure they have plenty of room on their *****wagon.

Me? I'll stick with the Steelers.

Stlrs4Life
04-06-2007, 08:16 PM

Relax.

Exactly. Guess this guy wants what happens to Daniel Snyder every year, spends millions and gets nothing in return.

GBMelBlount
04-06-2007, 10:02 PM
Ya know, you could make the argument that the patriots went out and signed the best LB and WR available this off season (thomas and stallworth) ... which was obv. their two most pressing needs. The steelers have some serious problems at LB and O-line. So instead, we released our best LB and signed a "versatile", cheap, not-much-upside, O-line utility man. Granted the patsies had a lot more cap room to work with, but i think if the situation were reversed, the steelers would definitely not make a big FA splash like that.

If the steelers signed thomas and stallworth that would be enough FA news to hold us steelers fans over for the next three off seasons.

And ofcourse I agree with the steelers releasing porter. Just playing a little devils advocate. However, i am still anxious to see what their plan is to replace him (porter). And it better not sound anything like "james harrison".

Do we have the type of cap room the Pat's had when the signed the "best available LB & WR available?"

GBMelBlount
04-06-2007, 10:16 PM
There are several things funny about this thread:

-The basic misunderstanding of the Steelers FO (some might call it ignorance, but I'll be nice)

-The Patriots fan being a mod...oh, that's ALWAYS a problem with this board

- The Pats mod pimping Pats boards...that's not cool.

- Look, the Steelers FO won a SB just a year ago. They did it without wasting crap money on crap players.

Anyway, if you want to cheer for a team that overpays for overrated players every year, become a Giants or Cowboys fan...I'm sure they have plenty of room on their *****wagon.

Me? I'll stick with the Steelers.

Suit,

I don't understand why you are so hard on LITP. I think he is knowledgeable and respectful. I don't have a problem with him being a Pat's fan and contributing to our website. Do I hope we kick the crap out of New England, Yes. Suit, I have only been a member for one month & have learned craploads from you, TH, AD, 76, CHRONO! etc. I respect you and your knowledge. Mine pales in comparison. Also, as far as us wasting money on players. Every team has overpaid players. Is Smith worth 6.8 against the cap this year? However, obviously you are right, I have read that the steelers are much more careful about overpaying players than most and that is why we have a practically unparalelled record the last 5-10-15 years!

Livinginthe past
04-06-2007, 11:02 PM
Suit,

I don't understand why you are so hard on LITP. I think he is knowledgeable and respectful. I don't have a problem with him being a Pat's fan and contributing to our website. Do I hope we kick the crap out of New England, Yes. Suit, I have only been a member for one month & have learned craploads from you, TH, AD, 76, CHRONO! etc. I respect you and your knowledge. Mine pales in comparison. Also, as far as us wasting money on players. Every team has overpaid players. Is Smith worth 6.8 against the cap this year? However, obviously you are right, I have read that the steelers are much more careful about overpaying players than most and that is why we have a practically unparalelled record the last 5-10-15 years!

I appreciate the sentiment GB, but this particular situation has run a long time and looks like it has plenty of legs left in it yet.

Im also glad you have found being here enlightening, we truly do have some great posters - not only fans of the Steelers, but also football as a whole.

Keep up the good work :cheers:

SteelShooter
04-07-2007, 09:22 AM
I appreciate the sentiment GB, but this particular situation has run a long time and looks like it has plenty of legs left in it yet.

Im also glad you have found being here enlightening, we truly do have some great posters - not only fans of the Steelers, but also football as a whole.

Keep up the good work :cheers:

Personally, with the exception of the Bengals and Ravens, I do not give a cr@p what team you support as long as your posts are intelligent, or humorous and somewhat respectful. The Browns? They are too pitiful to hold too much of a grudge against. One of my closest Shipmates (who was also a neighbor when I lived in Imperial Beach, CA.) was a Browns fan. He once asked me why I looked forward to the Steelers-Browns games so much each year. I responded with "Well, other than being a 2nd and 3rd bye week for us, I also enjoy humor immensely!" (of course, this was immediately before the 41-0 scrubbing we gave them).

Anyway.....I do enjoy trading the occasional shots with LITP, as well as with others. If he ever does pi$$ you off, just call him an Australian, or better yet, ask him from which part of France he hails....it will set his proverbial goose afire (insert laughter here Bro). I use that on another Briton who currently serves in the U.S. military (he is former UK Air Mobile) and is one of my absolute closest mates. Before a mission, if I needed to fire him up, I simply used one of those two lines and he was unstoppable! :sofunny:

Suit does, in fact, hold an incredible amount of football knowledge, and I value his insight as well. Does his humor or view parallel my own? Not much. But I still enjoy, and absorb, his posts just the same. He offers opinions that I tend to not see or think of until he points them out. In my opinion, if you are capable of posting info that may alter my opinion or viewpoint, that is a great post....period.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ok, now that I have gone on a tangent to this particular thread;

The Steelers way to doing business has been proven time and again. We simply do not spend the big bucks for big-name players...period. One overwhelmingly big problem with signing just anyone with big numbers is that they may not fit into your system. Take for example Antwaan Randle El. Although I loved watching him return kicks, and it was truly a thrill to see him in action during a gadget play, he just was not worth, in the grand scheme of things, the money that Washington shelled out for him. Now, after watching them so miserably louse up their last season, he is currently rumored to be incentive meat on the trading butcher block. But then again the Redskins, as with the Cowboys, have a history of spending big bucks on trendy players without too terribly much of a statistical payoff.

The Pittsburgh front office is efficient, not flashy. They are MUCH more knowledgeable of a players' value and future performance potential than I ever will be. Hell, Dan Rooney has been doing this longer than the vast majority (if not all) of the posters here.

Let them be. They/we are one of 4 teams to possess FIVE Lombardi Trophys.

I truly do believe they "have a clue."

polamalufan43
04-07-2007, 02:20 PM
Yeah, I really wish they'd stop being so cheap and sign a big-name player like Duce Staley.

Phahahahahaha, they should spend all there money there... who agrees????!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

P.S. I don't :sofunny:

RoethlisBURGHer
04-08-2007, 04:19 PM
How often does the team that sign the big FA win the Super Bowl?Actually,not very often.Most guys go to the highest bidder,which are the crap teams with a ton of cap room.

polamalufan43
04-08-2007, 06:05 PM
How often does the team that sign the big FA win the Super Bowl?Actually,not very often.Most guys go to the highest bidder,which are the crap teams with a ton of cap room.

:iagree:

Now that you say it, it does seem to go that way until a team has enough good players to make a playoff run.

StillerPaul
04-08-2007, 06:30 PM

Very well put. the patsy's went out and spent like drunken sailors and he's tellin' us to chill? :dang:

RoethlisBURGHer
04-08-2007, 08:22 PM
:iagree:

Now that you say it, it does seem to go that way until a team has enough good players to make a playoff run.

But most of the time it doesn't happen that way because they have to cut guys to keep under the cap.

JuniorSteelerfan
04-08-2007, 08:32 PM
The Rooneys play it smart.

Yeah that is the way the Rooneys have always and probably will always do.
:tt02:

GBMelBlount
04-08-2007, 10:56 PM
Ha! HA! maybe we play it that way on purpose, but the way we handle our payroll, we can't afford to make big FA deals and also sign our draft picks. We have no choice. But history has proved that it is the best way to do it!

polamalufan43
04-09-2007, 09:21 AM
Ha! HA! maybe we play it that way on purpose, but the way we handle our payroll, we can't afford to make big FA deals and also sign our draft picks. We have no choice. But history has proved that it is the best way to do it!

True, seeing this I really don't think we should be that worried. But it's the off-season, and therefore we have nothing better to do

Elvis
04-09-2007, 03:57 PM
Yeah that is the way the Rooneys have always and probably will always do.
:tt02:
:thumbsup: I dont think anyone can argue with what the Steelers have done in the past. They just seem to keep gettting the talent that we need year after year to be competitive. How can we change now?

paw-n-maul-u
04-09-2007, 05:52 PM
:thumbsup: I dont think anyone can argue with what the Steelers have done in the past. They just seem to keep gettting the talent that we need year after year to be competitive. How can we change now?

Well, that's interesting. If you look at it a little more closely, you'll see that we haven't exactly struck gold with many of our LATE ROUND draft picks lately. I would consider round's 1-2 in a category of their own given that they are usually the most NFL Ready players ... rounds 3-7 usually have more questions surrounding the player, i.e. attitude work ethic injury ... or drafted as a potential project with upside or just for depth.

If we look at the last five years, We pretty much whiffed on rounds 3-7

NOTE: THIS IS ONLY round 3-7 picks

2006- a little to early to judge ... A.smith looks like he could round out our secondary ... reid is still an unknown on his NFL potential ... colon could push Starks for playing time

2005- Added some depth to positions, but really none have seen substantial playing time other than a few spot starts due to injury to starters. None have really overly impressed me in that short amount of time either. Kemo, goo wallace, Nua, essex ... gibson didnt even make it out of camp.

2004-STARKS. only noteable addition was starks, who seems to have lost his welcome with many fans on this board. I think he needs another year and could be solid, maybe just needs someone to push him a bit. only Kranchick is still on the team i do believe.

2003- IKE TAYLOR. Just look at the threads on him to find out some opinions. I like him personally so not a bad catch their for a fourth rounder. nothing after that.

2002- This was a great draft but most of the players booked for bigger money or released I.e Haynes, randle el, hope,. FOOTE and KEISEL still starting.

Basically 2002-2006 draft produced Starks, Foote, Keisel, and Taylor ... you can make your own judgements on them but by no means are they superstars.

In the previous 4 years: Ward, Okobi, Aaron Smith, Joey Porter, Townsend, Haggans, Tuman

... a pretty good handful of probowls between them as compared to barely a whisper of elite status when talking of keisel foote ike and starks.

I dunno ... obv. its a little premature to judge many of the players, but still, lots to think about.

paw-n-maul-u
04-09-2007, 06:00 PM
in contrast however, we did awesome in the early rounds lately ... smith, hampton, simmons, b-roth, troy

before that we were striking out bigtime with our early picks, Scott, Shields, Burress, EDwards. Faneca was the only big catch.

slashsteel
04-09-2007, 06:31 PM
I dunno if Harrison stays healthy (a big if) I think he is more than capable of being a solid OLBer.

Elvis
04-09-2007, 07:17 PM
in contrast however, we did awesome in the early rounds lately ... smith, hampton, simmons, b-roth, troy

before that we were striking out bigtime with our early picks, Scott, Shields, Burress, EDwards. Faneca was the only big catch.
So, you think that Burress was a complete wash? I dont think so, he and Ben made some big plays in our offense. If I remember correctly WIllie Parker wasnt even drafted... I guess that was not a great pick up? Jeff Hartings was suppose to be washed up when he came to Pittsburgh.. I organization makes pretty good moves in my opinion only I guess. We have picked up Mahan for a reason that we obviously dont know about, but the Steelers have a plan I'm sure..

GBMelBlount
04-09-2007, 09:46 PM

Great info, very interesting!

dcpitsteel
04-09-2007, 11:54 PM
Hello everyone in the Great Steeler Nation, new to site. I really believe our track record over the past 10 to 15 years speaks for itself. I agree if it ain't broken, don't fix it. Its seems like a lot of us diehard fans were real disappointed last season with missing the playoffs coming off a world championship. Some people I talked to over the off season had many diffrent opinions way they stumbled and I agreed with most, turnovers. Most people blamed Ben for the losses. I think Ben was trying to make something happen and there was just some unfortunate plays. I believe our Steelers lost as a team, not just one player. Well lets hope Coach Tomlin gets them back on track and poised for another super bowl run for this year and many in the future. I'm out, Dave

abgroove
04-10-2007, 06:22 AM

Relax.

:cheers:

RoethlisBURGHer
04-10-2007, 07:24 AM
So, you think that Burress was a complete wash? I dont think so, he and Ben made some big plays in our offense. If I remember correctly WIllie Parker wasnt even drafted... I guess that was not a great pick up? Jeff Hartings was suppose to be washed up when he came to Pittsburgh.. I organization makes pretty good moves in my opinion only I guess. We have picked up Mahan for a reason that we obviously dont know about, but the Steelers have a plan I'm sure..

I would call Burress a wash.Him and Ben made some big plays...but when the pressure was on,Burress chickened out.Burress refused to run the fade,he mistimed his jumps,he took plays off.For all of his talent and potential,he's a bust.

He thought he was hot crapola,and nobody wanted him in FA.He ended up a Giant,and will eventually be released due to his poor work ethic,mistimed jumps,not running the fade,and dropping the football.

polamalufan43
04-10-2007, 02:29 PM
I would call Burress a wash.Him and Ben made some big plays...but when the pressure was on,Burress chickened out.Burress refused to run the fade,he mistimed his jumps,he took plays off.For all of his talent and potential,he's a bust.

He thought he was hot crapola,and nobody wanted him in FA.He ended up a Giant,and will eventually be released due to his poor work ethic,mistimed jumps,not running the fade,and dropping the football.

Well, I think Ben will be different, but Burress proved to be exactly what you said.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-10-2007, 06:11 PM

I was all for signing TJ Duckett at one time...but it was painfully obvious that he wasnt all he was supposed to be with Washington .... Portis went down and he was ineffective enough that Betts became the starter....Ducket only managed 38 carries 132 yds and a 3.5 average...and was a weak redzone threat with only 2 TD's....Strangely enough,that was BETTER than his last season with the Falcons when he only averaged 3.1 yds per carry...I guess that the FO knew something

GBMelBlount
04-10-2007, 10:23 PM
I was all for signing TJ Duckett at one time...but it was painfully obvious that he wasnt all he was supposed to be with Washington .... Portis went down and he was ineffective enough that Betts became the starter....Ducket only managed 38 carries 132 yds and a 3.5 average...and was a weak redzone threat with only 2 TD's....Strangely enough,that was BETTER than his last season with the Falcons when he only averaged 3.1 yds per carry...I guess that the FO knew something

How can anyone disagree?:coffee:

polamalufan43
04-11-2007, 05:50 AM
How can anyone disagree?:coffee:

Very good and completely correct.