PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Penn State Nittany Lion Football Thread

Pages : 1 [2] 3

SteelCityMan786
08-23-2007, 01:03 PM
http://www.altoonamirror.com/PennState/PSarticles.asp?articleID=14543

Hahn relishes TB's success

By Josh Langenbacher, jlangenbacher@altoonamirror.com

UNIVERSITY PARK ? If a Penn State tailback has a big season, Matt Hahn will be quietly relishing the accomplishment in the anonymity being a fullback brings.

??It?s almost like when one of those guys makes a big run or scores a touchdown, you?re making a big run or scoring a touchdown,?? Hahn said. ??You take a lot of pride in it.??

Hahn has had a lot of reasons to be proud recently. He?s been the lead blocker for Tony Hunt the past two seasons, when Hunt surpassed 1,000 yards rushing each campaign.

Hunt since has moved on to the Philadelphia Eagles, but Hahn hopes the string of 1,000-yard rushers continues.

??Fullbacks, you can?t really set any goals for you statistic-wise,?? Hahn, a senior, said. ??We do a lot of things that don?t show up in the box score. If Austin [Scott], Rodney [Kinlaw], [Evan] Royster or whoever has a great year ... that?s how I set my goals.??

Touches for Hahn have been limited. He has 15 career carries, 11 of which came last season, and 18 career receptions.

The only touchdown of his career came last season at Minnesota, and he made it count. Hahn hauled in a 7-yard pass from Anthony Morelli with the game tied at 14-14. Penn State went on to win, 28-27.

The finality of this being Hahn?s last camp with Penn State has begun to set in.

??You definitely put a little more emphasis [on the season] knowing it could be the last time you?re playing football and the last time you?re playing for Penn State,?? Hahn said.

Jeremy
08-26-2007, 06:19 AM
Why did Joe Paterno name a third string special teamer a team captian?

SteelCityMan786
08-26-2007, 04:41 PM
http://centredaily.com/sports/colleges/penn_state/story/189159.html

Linemen create an interesting mix for Nittany Lions
By Jeff Rice - jrice@centredaily.com

(Click link for article, it's too long)

SteelCityMan786
08-26-2007, 04:43 PM
http://centredaily.com/sports/colleges/penn_state/story/189744.html

Position break down.

SteelCityMan786
08-26-2007, 06:26 PM
http://www.altoonamirror.com/PennState/PSarticles.asp?articleID=14542

Just in case: Kinlaw, Royster to battle over backup TB slot

UNIVERSITY PARK ? Between facing questions at Penn State?s media day, Evan Royster was needled by his fellow running backs.

Fullback Dan Lawlor spearheaded the charge by pinching Royster?s legs.

??Everything?s a joke,?? Royster said.

Everything but the backup running back position, at least. Royster, a redshirt freshman, is locked in a battle with Rodney Kinlaw to be the second-stringer behind Austin Scott.

Coach Joe Paterno cut off a reporter?s question when he referred to Scott as the ??probable starting running back,?? despite an overwhelming sentiment that Scott will be the starter.

??We have Austin Scott, Rodney Kinlaw, Evan Royster and a couple of freshmen kids that are all in the running [to be the starter],?? Paterno said.

Which is just the way Royster likes it after a true freshman year spent on the scout team. He added 11 pounds, became stronger and prepared himself for the rigors of college football.

??I?m looking forward to this year a lot better than I was going into last year,?? Royster said.

Royster came to the Nittany Lions after a decorated career at Westfield High School in Fairfax, Va. He racked up 2,200 yards and 30 touchdowns as a senior and 6,384 yards and 90 TDs in his career.

Kinlaw, the nephew of former PSU defensive end Courtney Brown, has patiently waited for his turn behind Larry Johnson and Tony Hunt, both of whom are in the NFL.

Kinlaw?s style, which is more of a slash, complements Scott?s power. Royster is a blend of Kinlaw?s speed and Scott?s straightforward approach.

??I figure I?m in between both of them,?? Royster said of Kinlaw and Scott.

Kinlaw likened the different styles to the former Auburn tandem of Ronnie Brown and Cadillac Williams.

??[Scott] can wear them down with his pounding style, and I can make the longer runs,?? Kinlaw said.

Injuries have followed Scott throughout his career, so Penn State may need a steady backup if he goes down.

??I hope both of us can stay healthy to help us win games,?? Kinlaw said. ??It?s all about winning games. It?s not about personal things.??

Kinlaw and Scott are both fifth-year seniors and have mentored the younger running backs. No other back in the mix for playing time ? aside from fullback Matt Hahn ? is older than a sophomore.

??We have to step it up and be role models and show them how it?s done,?? Kinlaw said.

??Getting experience from them, everybody rubs off on each other,?? Royster said.

Redshirt freshman Brent Carter and true freshman Stephfon Green are also vying for playing time. Early reports have Green impressing the coaches with his blazing speed.

If Kinlaw is squeezed out of the backfield, he figures to be one of the top candidates, along with A.J. Wallace, as a kick returner.

Kinlaw returned eight kicks in 2005 and averaged 29.6 yards, fifth-highest in school history.

??I go in like I went every year just trying to do the best I could do and help the team win games,?? he said. ??That?s basically what I?m looking for.??

Royster, whom Kinlaw predicted ??will be a great running back,?? is looking for his first chance to get on the field.

??I feel like I?ve done pretty well at the start of camp at least,?? he said. ??Last year I proved myself a little bit, so I think they have me in the back of their head.??

The head-to-head competition with Scott, Kinlaw believes, won?t conclude with camp.

??It?s going to be like that all season,?? Kinlaw said. ??We?re going to make each other better.

SteelCityMan786
08-26-2007, 06:27 PM
http://www.altoonamirror.com/PennState/PSarticles.asp?articleID=14611

Questions surrounding team.

SteelCityMan786
08-26-2007, 06:28 PM
http://www.altoonamirror.com/PennState/PSarticles.asp?articleID=14629

Kelly must find ways to succeed

By Cory Giger, cgiger@altoonamirror.com

Joe Paterno sounded like he?s as fed up as anyone seeing his kicker botch field goals.

??I think Kevin Kelly has got to come to the front now, and he?s got to be a really big-league field goal kicker,?? Paterno said. ??I mean, we can?t miss 35-yard field goals in big, tough games early in the game.??

Kelly?s inconsistency has been maddening at times during his two seasons with the Nittany Lions. He?s connected on only 38-of-57 field goals (66.7 percent), including just 13-of-20 from 30-39 yards.

Paterno noted Kelly usually looks great in practice, saying, ??He can go out there and kick that ball and look like he is as good as anybody. He can kick a 55-yard field goal.??

Come game time, though, Kelly has gone 0-for-4 in his career from beyond 50 yards and is only 7-of-13 from 40-49 yards.

??The only difference may be, I wouldn?t say pressure, but just the whole atmosphere,?? Kelly said. ??You?re in a game and you have 110,000 people on you, you have a little extra adrenaline that you don?t get in practice.??

Kelly has two seasons of that atmosphere anxiety under his belt, so he doesn?t expect it to be as big of an issue this year. His issue will be focusing on the little things.

??The balls that I miss, it?s just one little thing,?? Kelly said. ??Right before you kick, you have to make sure you follow through, make sure your plant foot?s right. It?s just [those] little things right now that are really keeping me back.??

Kelly was only 22-of-34 last season and finished on a down note, connecting on just 2-of-5 kicks in the Outback Bowl win over Tennessee. Two of those misses, though, were from 50 and 54 yards.

Kelly battled a minor back injury during the season but said it didn?t affect him much, and he added his back is ??completely fine?? now.

Kelly?s wild night at the Orange Bowl in 2006 has been well documented as he botched a 29-yarder that would have beaten Florida State in the final minute of regulation and a 38-yarder in the first overtime. Then a freshman, he later atoned in the third overtime with a game-winning 29-yard kick.

Playing in that big of a game under that kind of pressure could come back to help Kelly if he finds himself in a similar situation this season. If that happens and a championship is on the line, Penn State?s players have confidence Kelly will make the kick.

??I have total, 100 percent confidence in Kevin Kelly ... and the team does,?? Lion receiver Jordan Norwood said. ??We have no reason not to be confident in him.??

Kelly said he wouldn?t mind if some of his teammates razz him a little bit when he?s struggling. There?s a school of thought that an athlete needs to hear only encouragement when things are going bad, but Kelly pointed out getting ripped from time to time can help, as well.

??I?ve had tons of support [from teammates],?? Kelly said. ??That?s almost been the hardest thing because I struggle and the guys are still with me. I would rather them get on me a little bit more to kind of push me.??

The Lions have Big Ten and national championship hopes this season, and to reach those goals, they?ll need Kelly to be more reliable.

??There?s two, maybe three games that will come down to field goals and special teams, no doubt about it,?? Kelly said.

If he?s on the field deciding one of those games, how confident is Kelly that he?ll make the kick?

??Very confident,?? he said.

SteelCityMan786
08-26-2007, 06:29 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07238/812222-143.stm

Morelli showing the confidence and experience to lead '07 Lions
Sunday, August 26, 2007
By Ron Musselman, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Penn State quarterback Anthony Morelli may be soft-spoken, but his newfound swagger has not gone unnoticed.

This Penn Hills High School graduate has become the outspoken leader of the Nittany Lions' offense during preseason practice.

Morelli hasn't been afraid to voice his opinion in the huddle. Nor has he balked at chewing out a receiver who may have run the wrong pattern.

"Guys mess up on a route and instead of being the nice guy he was last year, he knows that being a leader means he's going to have to step on some people's toes, get in some people's faces," receiver Deon Butler said.

"He's real fiery about his huddle. But it's not a jittery fire, it's a leadership fire about him. He has taken ownership of the whole offense."

That take-charge attitude helps explain why Morelli was one of three seniors chosen as captains last week in a vote conducted by his teammates.

Morelli, 6-4, 232 pounds, led Penn State to wins in seven of its final nine games a year ago in his first season as the starter. He finished with 11 touchdown passes and eight interceptions after a slow start. The team finished at 9-4.

Offensive coordinator Galen Hall said Morelli looks much more confident in the pocket this year.

Hall expects more tight spirals and touchdown tosses from the strong-armed Morelli, who will make his 14th career start Saturday when the Lions open their season against Florida International at Beaver Stadium.

"There's no reason for us to think he won't have a great year," Hall said. "He has confidence in himself. We have confidence in him. His receivers have confidence in him. I think it's just his turn to go play really good.

"When he came back this year, he looked at it like, 'This is my last go-round, this is my senior year, this is my team.' And he's stepped up and proven it so far."

Starting center A.Q. Shipley from Moon High School marvels at the progress Morelli has made in his leadership skills, although they have yet to be game-tested.

"From last year to this year, Anthony's a hundred times more poised, a hundred times more assertive," Shipley said. "Little things you might not have seen last year you're seeing this year."

Morelli is a candidate for the Davey O'Brien and Manning awards, both of which are presented to the nation's top quarterback.

Even though Morelli operated behind a shaky line last season and in an offense that finished 10th in the Big Ten in red-zone efficiency, he passed for 2,424 yards, the third-best single-season total in school history.

"Anthony had to put up with a lot of mishaps that were not his fault," coach Joe Paterno said. "We didn't play really well against some football teams last year. We had a chance to beat a couple of pretty good teams and we didn't because we made mistakes. But not Morelli."

Paterno has been roundly criticized for not redshirting Morelli as a freshman in 2004. The Lions finished 4-7 and Morelli played sparingly, completing just 5 of 13 passes for 45 yards and one interception.

Morelli prefers not to look back.

"There's nothing I can do about it now," he said.

He's hoping to use a solid senior season as a springboard to the NFL.

"Anthony's a completely different kid than he was at this time last year," said Morelli's father, Greg. "He's psyched up for his last year. He knows he's capable of being as good as any of the top quarterbacks in the country.

"Last year, I just hoped he would survive, hang in there, and play well after he got some game experience, which he did. I may be biased, but I think he can be the difference-maker for Penn State this year. His confidence is higher than I have ever seen it."

Buzz05
08-27-2007, 08:07 AM
Why did Joe Paterno name a third string special teamer a team captian?

Ive been asking myself the same thing. From what I understand Golden is someone all the younger players look up to for his work ethic and demenor. And I guess he has really stepped into a leadership role in off season work outs. I guess some people are better leaders then players. The only question I have is how much can the rest of the team respect his leadership when he doesnt get my playing time.

Truth be told who else would have been the third captain. Derrick Williams is only a Jr. and JoePa has only had 2 Jr. Captains since 1974? Austin Scott has been in the dog house most of the time. Scirrotto, no. Logically Golden was the only other choice I guess.

SteelCityMan786
08-27-2007, 10:47 AM
http://www.cafepress.com/centredaily.164267941

The 2007 White Out Shirts Courtesy of the Centre Daily Times.

SteelCityMan786
08-27-2007, 10:50 AM
http://www.altoonamirror.com/PennState/PSarticles.asp?articleID=14666

The five keys to success in 2007 are ...

Five keys to the season for Penn State, which kicks things off Saturday against Florida International at Beaver Stadium.

1. Don't be boring on offense

The passing game could and should be impressive, but it can't rely so heavily on 7-yard sideline routes like it did all last season.

Turn Deon Butler and Derrick Williams loose downfield and let Anthony Morelli take shots to them or deep over the middle to Jordan Norwood and Chris Bell.

The value of tight end Andrew Quarless, suspended indefinitely after getting cited for underage drinking, cannot be overstated. He's a big, sure-handed target over the middle who can move the chains even if the running game stalls.

If Joe Paterno wants to suspend Quarless for the Florida International game, fine. That's teaching the kid a lesson. But if Quarless is still suspended against Notre Dame, that's going too far and could turn out to be very costly.

The game at Michigan in week four, in a lot of peoples' minds, could determine the season. That said, chew on this sobering statistic:

In Penn State's last five road games against ranked teams -- and the 2005 loss at Michigan, which wasn't ranked at the time -- the Lions have scored a total of six points in the first half. (Three points at Ohio State and Wisconsin last season; 0 points at Notre Dame last year, at Michigan in 2005 and at Wisconsin and Minnesota in 2004.)

Six points in six opening halves against good competition on the road. That's terrible, and it would seem to be a result of one or both of the following:

Either the players aren't ready to play early on, or

The coaching staff is too conservative, trying not to lose games instead of trying to win

Penn State lost all six games, by the way.

The Lions should have a very good defense, but Michigan also has a very good offense. Penn State may need to outscore the Wolverines, and that won't happen with conservative playcalling.

2. Improve in the red zone

The Lions can't get much worse after ranking next to last in the Big Ten in red zone efficiency last year, scoring on just 74.5 percent of their trips inside the 20.

Penn State managed only 22 touchdowns in 51 red zone opportunities, and the failures crushed its chances of winning big regular-season games.

Here's my two-fold theory on the struggles:

Butler, Williams and Norwood may be good receivers, but they're so small that they have difficulty getting separation from defensive backs when crowded in the red zone. PSU's weak offensive line also didn't give Morelli enough time to look over the field or give the receivers time to get free.

This is where Quarless comes into play, providing a great target near the end zone as he did in the Outback Bowl against Tennessee. Bell also has enough size to create some space for himself.

As long as the offensive line, which is said to be improved, gives Morelli more time, the Lions should be much better in the red zone.

3. Running game must produce

This doesn't just mean Austin Scott. Maybe he'll get the job done himself, maybe he'll need some help from Rodney Kinlaw and Evan Royster.

Whatever the case, the Lions need to find some way to balance the offense.

Penn State rushed for 1,950 yards last season, 1,386 by Tony Hunt. Nobody else had more than 199 yards (Kinlaw).

Throwing out a number, if the Lions can muster 1,500 yards rushing as a team, that should be enough to keep defenses honest.

4. Defensive line has to come together quickly

The line has three new starters, and injury problems during the preseason have hurt the depth. The only proven player is defensive end Josh Gaines, who started nine games last season.

A lot of Penn State faithful seem to think the Notre Dame game will be a breeze, but not if the defensive line gets outmuscled up front by the Irish. Brady Quinn's not back there anymore, but Charlie Weis' offense still could be tough if there's no pressure on the quarterback.

One promising aspect is that the line will have a lot of help from the outstanding linebackers and defensive backs. Defensive coordinator Tom Bradley can disguise a lot of schemes until the line comes into its own, or at least until the Michigan game.

5. Special teams need to be special

Kevin Kelly can't miss easy field goals. It's as simple as that.

If he comes on the field for a 37-yard attempt with the Lions trailing by two in the closing seconds at Michigan, how confident are you that Kelly will make the kick? Go to my Nittany Nuggets blog at altoonamirror.com and share your answer.

Also, the new punter, Jeremy Boone, has to fill the big shoes left by Jeremy Kapinos. If the Lions win the field position battle, it will make their outstanding defense that much better.

Dylan
08-27-2007, 06:32 PM
Penn State is there sleeper team..l. they have an experienced line now.. morelli looked amzing in the outback bowl.. and the defense could be at its best.. Penn State all the way

SteelCityMan786
08-27-2007, 08:28 PM
It's almost here. COMING SATURDAY!!!!!!!!!

XbYtFB8nwjM

Buzz05
08-28-2007, 07:43 AM
It's almost here. COMING SATURDAY!!!!!!!!!

XbYtFB8nwjM

What was the link to the youtube video? I cant view active content at work haha

SteelCityMan786
08-28-2007, 07:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbYtFB8nwjM

SteelCityMan786
08-28-2007, 07:38 PM
http://post-gazette.com/pg/07240/812714-100.stm

Penn State TE to sit first game
Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Starting tight end Andrew Quarless and backup cornerback Willie Harriott will both sit out Saturday when Penn State hosts Florida International in its non-conference opener at Beaver Stadium.

The two players, who were recently cited for underage drinking by campus police in State College, could be sidelined even longer.

"Right now, neither one of them will play this week and they may not play for three or four weeks, I don't know yet," coach Joe Paterno said in his weekly teleconference call.

Paterno said Quarless and Harriott would continue to practice with the team.

In other news, Paterno said that backup defensive tackle Abe Koroma has a foot in a cast and is on crutches following surgery last week. Koroma, injured in last Wednesday's scrimmage, is expected to miss at least a month.

Backup defensive back Travis McBride, a redshirt freshman from McKeesport High School, is no longer on the team because of academic problems.

delhess
08-28-2007, 09:06 PM
nice video, wish it was hi res, but i loved it.

SteelCityMan786
08-28-2007, 09:25 PM
nice video, wish it was hi res, but i loved it.

It's one of their pre-game videos. I can put up a couple other.

SteelCityMan786
08-29-2007, 06:04 AM
http://www.altoonamirror.com/PennState/PSarticles.asp?articleID=14727

Quarless could miss 4 games

By Cory Giger cgiger@altoonamirror.com

UNIVERSITY PARK ? Joe Paterno doesn?t plan to go easy on Andrew Quarless, saying the tight end may not play for three or four weeks as punishment for a recent underage drinking citation.

Paterno said he told Quarless and cornerback Willie Harriott, also cited for underage drinking, to ??get going?? after the incident. The players cleared out their lockers before getting a second chance, thanks to their teammates.

??Some of the kids on the team got together with the captains ... [and] said, ?How about we let them back on and you do some other things to them,??? Paterno said. ??And I said, ?Well, OK.???

If Quarless? suspension lasts four games, he wouldn?t be allowed to play in week four at Michigan. That game, in many peoples? minds, could define Penn State?s season.

??Quarless and Harriott did something that really bothered me in the sense that they were out after hours when we were in camp,?? Paterno said.

The citation occurred at about 3 a.m.

??[The team] didn?t really have a strict curfew, but we had told them when they had to be in,?? Paterno said.

As many as 20 players reportedly were involved in the off-campus fight in April, but Paterno has not suspended any of them.

??Quarless and Harriott is a whole different thing,?? the coach said. ??It?s an incident that both of them got involved in on their own, and I?m trying to handle that differently than I would the other one.

??Now, whether my actions as far as the incident back in April covers Quarless and Harriott, you would hope that there would be some kind of a spill off, but it wasn?t intended for that. You intend to make kids aware of the fact that there are some responsibilities they have.??

Paterno went on to say every incident can?t be categorized as type A, B or C because they?re all different and come with different consequences.

??What happened in April is a lot different than what happened with Quarless and Harriott, and hopefully I?m sensitive enough to treat them differently,?? Paterno said.

Evaluating the offense

The Lions expect to have an outstanding defense, but it sounds like the offense got the better of the matchups in practice.

??They beat us most of the preseason, to tell you the truth,?? linebacker Sean Lee said. ??They looked really, really good.??

The offensive line has been solid, Lee added, and quarterback Anthony Morelli has been sharp.

??Anthony has made some passes that I?ve never seen him make before,?? Lee said.

The linebacker also said Morelli has been ??looking off receivers,?? something the quarterback struggled with last year.

??It?s amazing to see how much of a leader he?s become,?? Lee said.

SUBHD: Freshmen starting

Redshirt freshmen Lou Eliades and Aaron Maybin are listed as first-teamers at left guard and right defensive end, respectively.

??I think both of those kids are going to be really good football players,?? Paterno said. ??They?re both hard workers, and they have a lot of ability. Good size, good quickness.??

The coach did add, though, ??They?re not there yet. ... They?ve got a ways to go, but they?re both going to play.??

SUBHD: News and notes

Dan Connor is on the preliminary list of candidates for the Butkus Award, given to the nation?s top linebacker. ... Lee said Tyrell Sales, who beat out Navorro Bowman for the third linebacker spot, has ??had a great preseason. I think he?s really excited to play and is going to do a great job.?? ... Paterno called the loss of redshirt freshman defensive tackle Abe Koroma ??a significant one.?? Koroma is out for at least a month with a broken foot. He had a pin inserted in the foot during surgery last week, is in a cast and on crutches. ... Paterno said sophomore defensive tackle Phil Taylor is fine after reportedly suffering a knee injury. Taylor, though, ??has been one of those kids that has always had a weight problem,?? Paterno said. It affects his stamina, so the coaches are cautious about his playing time.

SteelCityMan786
08-29-2007, 06:06 AM
Seems like a fair suspension. Just hopefully it's 3 not 4. We may need him in Michigan.

SteelCityMan786
08-29-2007, 06:07 AM
http://centredaily.com/sports/colleges/penn_state/story/192030.html

Nittany Lions' defense ready to add to last year's success

The last few Penn State preseason football practices have included more post-whistle player scuffles than usual.

"We're ready to play another team," said linebacker Sean Lee.

The Nittany Lion defense, which welcomes offensively unthreatening Florida International to Beaver Stadium at noon Saturday, is ready to build on a run that few teams can match.

In 36 games over the last three seasons, the Penn State defense has surrendered 293.4 yards per game (the national median in 2006 was 334.1) and allowed 15.5 points per game (the national median was 22.8).

The 2005 defense lost stars Tamba Hali, Alan Zemaitis, Calvin Lowry, Chris Harrell, Anwar Phillips, Matt Rice and Scott Paxson to graduation. But the 2006 defense, led by Paul Posluszny and Jay Alford, might have wound up being even better after a shaky September.

After a 17-10 loss to Michigan in October, the defense allowed just three touchdowns over the final six games. The Nittany Lions won five of those games, including a 20-10 Outback Bowl victory against a dangerous Tennessee team.

Even with Posluszny, Alford, Ed Johnson and Tim Shaw gone, the 2007 defense hopes to pick up right where it left off last season.

"It's just a comfort level thing between a group of players," said junior cornerback Justin King. "As time goes on, a unit just gets better. Hopefully it can just carry over from the offseason into this season."

With King, safeties Anthony Scirrotto and Tony Davis and linebackers Lee and Dan Connor back as starters, the Nittany Lions' back seven, which now includes talented cornerbacks Lydell Sargeant and A.J. Wallace and outside linebacker Tyrell Sales, could be just as productive.

The difference might be up front, where Penn State has an abundance of young talent but hardly any experience. Preseason injuries to freshman end Devon Still (torn ACL, out for season), redshirt freshman tackle Abe Koroma (broken foot, out 3-5 weeks) and sophomore tackle Phil Taylor (knee, probable for Saturday) have raised even more questions.

Then again, this group answered a lot of similar questions last season.

"The younger guys have been working real hard," Connor said. "(Defensive line) Coach (Larry) Johnson's been doing a great job with them.

"There's a couple new names out there, but it's usually like that every year. By game two or three, everybody's going to be familiar with them and see what they can do."

Penn State head coach Joe Paterno is, in his words, "anxious" about this weekend's game because the Golden Panthers, with a new coaching staff, a new system and a young roster, are very difficult, if not impossible, to scout. Heading into his 42nd season, Paterno has plenty of questions about his own team as well.

"I'm concerned with making sure that, of the guys we play, everyone is comfortable with what they're doing," he said.

If the Nittany Lions are to better last year's 9-4 record, they will need improvement from the offensive line, quarterback Anthony Morelli and kicker Kevin Kelly and consistency from tailbacks Austin Scott and Rodney Kinlaw and new punter Jeremy Boone.

All the defense has to do is what it has done since this year's seniors were freshmen.

"We just want to play with intensity on every play," Lee said. "Our coaches really stress that there's 11 white helmets on the ball, every play, and we take pride in our defense and we're gonna continue that."

SteelCityMan786
08-29-2007, 09:48 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07241/812891-143.stm

Penn State's mended Paterno back on the prowl
Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Joe Paterno's left leg is not as strong as it once was, but he has not let that slow him down.

The ageless Penn State coach, less than four months shy of his 81st birthday, has proved in preseason practice that he still has plenty of kick left.

"You mess up and he still runs about a 4.2 right to your face," senior linebacker and tri-captain Dan Connor said.

Paterno went down with a broken leg and torn knee ligaments in a game against Wisconsin in early November. He missed the Temple game and was forced to watch the last two from the press box.

In the wake of rehabilitation, it hasn't taken Paterno long to regain his crankiness, especially after a tumultuous offseason in which the names of some of his better players appeared in the police blotter.

"He's always been feisty," said cornerback Justin King from Gateway High School. "I don't know that he's ever left that stage. Everybody's always got to be on their toes.

"He's very involved. You can hear and see Joe out there in the middle of the field, making sure he doesn't get hit by anybody. He's back to normal."

When Paterno hinted earlier this month that he might consider coaching from the press box, his players didn't believe him.

Paterno said yesterday he plans to return to the sideline Saturday "unless somebody runs me over tomorrow."

Asked if he would run out of the tunnel with his team, Paterno said, jokingly: "I've got a new plan. I'm going to drop from a parachute."

He shows no mercy, especially with his players. He will chew out a starting tailback the same way he does a fourth-string cornerback.

He is set to begin his 42nd season as Penn State's coach, his 58th year on the staff overall. Paterno will reach a milestone Saturday when the Nittany Lions host Florida International in their non-conference opener at noon at Beaver Stadium.

He will break the record for coaching at one school set by another legend, Amos Alonzo Stagg, who spent 41 seasons at the University of Chicago from 1892-1932.

Amazingly, since Paterno succeeded Rip Engle in 1966, there have been 798 coaching changes in Division I.

"Joe should be an inspiration to everybody," said Bethel Park native Fran Ganter, Paterno's long-time offensive coordinator who is now in his fourth year as associate athletic director for football administration. "He's screaming and yelling at guys to get back in the huddle, just like he was 20 years ago. Nothing's changed. On the field, he's the same old Joe."

Tight end Andrew Quarless broke three of Paterno's ribs last October after colliding with him at practice. A month later, Wisconsin's DeAndre Levy fractured Paterno's leg after plowing into him helmet-first on the sideline.

"Joe's a tough guy who has a will to fight," said receiver Terrell Golden, also a senior tri-captain. "I don't think there's a lot of stuff that can keep him down."

Paterno, who still walks with a slight limp, doesn't plan to take it easy. He has resumed his walking regiment, although not on a regular basis.

His current contract expires at the end of the 2008 season. He plans to coach as long as his knee holds up and his health is good. Retirement is not part of his vocabulary.

"I'm fine," he said. "I'm moving well enough that I don't have to worry about it. I think everybody just ought to kind of play down my injury and worry more about the football team."

NOTES: Paterno said Quarless, a projected starter in the preseason, and backup cornerback Willie Harriott will miss Saturday's game. The two players, recently cited for underage drinking by university police, could be sidelined even longer. "Right now, neither one of them will play this week and they may not play for three or four weeks, I don't know yet," Paterno said. Quarless and Harriott will continue to practice with the team. ... Backup defensive tackle Abe Koroma has his left foot in a cast and is on crutches following surgery last week. Koroma is expected to miss at least a month, Paterno said. ... Backup defensive back Travis McBride, a redshirt freshman from McKeesport High School, is no longer on the team due to academic problems. ... Connor is on a preliminary list of candidates for the Butkus Award, which is awarded to the nation's best linebacker.

SteelCityMan786
08-29-2007, 09:50 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/college/pennstate/s_524617.html

Paterno playing it safe with PSU's Quarless
By Sam Ross Jr.
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Even though Penn State football player Andrew Quarless won't play Saturday against Florida International, as punishment for an underage drinking citation, coach Joe Paterno has a role in the game plan for the sophomore tight end.

Paterno told Quarless at a recent practice, "Since you're not going to be in the ballgame, I want you to walk right by me and take all the hits."

It was Quarless who collided with Paterno during a practice last October and left Paterno with broken ribs. When Paterno suffered a broken leg and knee injury during a sideline collision last Nov. 4 in Wisconsin, Quarless also was involved. Though it was the helmet of Wisconsin linebacker DeAndre Levy that struck Paterno's leg and caused the damage.

Paterno has joked since last year about being wary of Quarless, but the coach wasn't laughing when he got word that Quarless and backup defensive back Willie Harriott had been cited by State College police for underage drinking Aug. 17.

At first, Paterno booted them from the team. He relented after the team captains, Anthony Morelli, Dan Connor and Terrell Golden approached him at the behest of teammates to give the two another chance.

"I said OK, so that's where we are," Paterno said Tuesday. "They're practicing with us, but they're not going to play for a while."

Paterno said that absence from games could extend for three or four weeks, though he wasn't yet sure.

The citations issued to Quarless and Harriott, coming as legal action continues involving safety Anthony Scirrotto and defensive tackle Chris Baker for their roles in an alleged assault and apartment invasion April 1, have brought the football program under heavy scrutiny. It's doubly bad for an athletic program that has as its motto "Success with honor."

Paterno was miffed that the two violated a loose curfew and showed such poor judgment at a time when the ongoing problems should have made them more sensitive to avoiding trouble.

That sentiment has filtered down to the players.

"That was tough on the team to have gone through that in April and through the summer and then to have another incident," Connor said.

While the teammates have rallied behind Quarless and Harriott, the captains also have given the entire team a lecture on staying clean.

"This can't happen any more. These things, they add up and hurt the team," Connor said. "It looks like we're not disciplined.

"We can't have any more of these incidents throughout the year."

Paterno admitted to concern that the periodic arrests damage the program's image.

"I worry about that a little bit," he said, "because we've had so many people who have gone though this program that are just good people."

But Paterno also believes the arrests have been overblown by the media and police.

"The incidents that we've had are really not -- well, I have to be careful about what I say because sometimes you guys interpret what I say as something different than what I say," he said. "I think we have a bunch of good kids. I really do. Some immature. Some have done a couple of things that maybe none of us would approve of.

"Whether their actions deserve the kind of attention that's been given to them or not, that's up to you people. Obviously, I have some thoughts about that."

Notes: Paterno confirmed that redshirt freshman defensive tackle Abe Koroma has had surgery to insert a screw to repair a broken foot bone and will be out at least a month. ... Austin Scott and Rodney Kinlaw both will get game time at tailback. ... Defensive tackle Phil Taylor's problem is excess weight, not a knee injury, according to Paterno. ... Travis McBride, a redshirt freshman safety from McKeesport, is no longer on the roster because of academic problems.

Buzz05
08-30-2007, 07:51 AM
I like how JoePa kicked them off the team initially to show he wont tolerate this crap. He is right, they shoulda been way more careful.

RoethlisBURGHer
08-30-2007, 12:58 PM
I have a question and I don't feel like digging through an entire 28 page thread to find it.

What is happening with the PSU players that were involved in that off campus attack? Are they suspended, kicked off the team?

SteelCityMan786
08-30-2007, 04:39 PM
I have a question and I don't feel like digging through an entire 28 page thread to find it.

What is happening with the PSU players that were involved in that off campus attack? Are they suspended, kicked off the team?

They're still on the team. Scirotto and Baker are facing less charges now.

SteelCityMan786
08-30-2007, 08:46 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07242/813308-143.stm
Penn State Football: Center promises better play from line
Thursday, August 30, 2007

A.Q. Shipley is considered the veteran of Penn State's revamped offensive line.

He has made 13 career starts, all at center. Shipley, a redshirt junior from Moon High School, was on the field for 897 snaps last season, more than any player on the Nittany Lions' offense. He was the only lineman to start every game.

Despite having first-round NFL draft pick Levi Brown at left tackle last year, Penn State's line was beset by costly penalties, poor play, injuries and lineup changes.

And the unit had to deal with the wrath of coach Joe Paterno.

As the new leader of the line, Shipley is promising much better results from the guys up front when Penn State opens its season Saturday at home against Florida International.

Shipley, 6 feet 1, 297 pounds, will be joined by tackles Gerald Cadogan and Dennis Landolt and guards Lou Eliades and John Shaw.

"I'm just trying to play my game and ignore what everyone is saying about us," Shipley said. "I just want to go out and do the best I can and get this offensive line going.

"I've just got to keep everyone in line, make sure nobody slacks off for a play. I need to keep on everybody, keep them focused and doing everything right. You've just got to keep it going in practice, because that's where you refine your skills.

"We're a lot more athletic this year than we were last year. We've gotten a lot stronger in the offseason. We have two different types of blocking styles and I think that's going to help out."

Cadogan, Shaw and backup guard Rich Ohrnberger combined to start 24 games last season, but at different positions.

Shaw has moved from right tackle to right guard, Ohrnberger from right guard to left guard and Cadogan from left guard to left tackle.

"Just having that experience I think is a big difference than coming in last year, when we had Levi and basically everyone else had no game experience," Shipley said. "I feel confident. I don't think we have anything to worry about."

Clearly all eyes will be on Cadogan, who must not only replace Brown -- the fifth overall pick in the draft by the Arizona Cardinals -- but also protect quarterback Anthony Morelli's blind side.

"Levi was a special player, and it's hard to replace a special player," offensive line coach Dick Anderson said. "It takes a long time before you get good on the offensive line. It takes a lot of repetitions and experience."

Morelli said the makeshift line has held together nicely in preseason drills. Eliades redshirted last year as a freshman.

"I know people have been wondering about the offensive line," Morelli said. "They're getting better every day and they're going to be a crew to be reckoned with. I'm real happy with the progress that they've made.

"The line didn't get enough credit last year for the job they did. We won nine football games, so they didn't do too bad. Everyone's quick to throw them under the bus. I think they're going to do a great job this year and people are going to be surprised."

Morelli said the line has been taking its cues from Shipley.

"He's a great leader," Morelli said. "He's a real knowledgeable guy. He knows the playbook inside and out. You need to have a quarterback on the offensive line and he's that guy. It's almost like having an extra coach out there."

Shipley, an All-Big Ten honorable mention pick last season, was named to the preseason watch list for the Rimington Trophy this year. That award is given to the nation's top center.

"There's a lot of big expectations for all of us," Shipley said. "As far as myself goes, I'm expecting a big year, too."

SteelCityMan786
09-01-2007, 07:36 AM
http://centredaily.com/sports/colleges/penn_state/story/195078.html

Nittany Lions hoping to set offensive tone early

The second-best indicator of where the 2007 Penn State offense currently stands comes from the only people who have faced it to this point.

"Some days they'll just come down and drive the ball down our throats," said Penn State linebacker Dan Connor. "Both through the ground and through the air."

The best indicator will come today, when the No. 17 Nittany Lions open their season at noon in Beaver Stadium against Florida International, a Sun Belt Conference team that lost all 12 of its games in 2006.

Connor will headline what should be another solid Penn State defense. The offense, after an up-and-down 2006 season, has more questions to answer.

Most of those questions, rightly or wrongly, will funnel to senior quarterback Anthony Morelli, who returns as a starter. The 6-foot-4, 230-pounder from Pittsburgh set the school's single-season completion record (208) and threw just eight interceptions in 386 attempts, but completed just 54 percent of his passes and threw for only 186 yards per game during the Nittany Lions' 9-4 season. In losses to Notre Dame, Ohio State, Michigan and Wisconsin, he threw for one touchdown and five interceptions.

A solid performance in January's Outback Bowl win over Tennessee, a growing chemistry with his receivers and a year of experience, however, have Morelli's confidence up heading into the season. It has shown on the practice field, according to his defensive teammates.

"Anthony has made some passes that I'd never seen him make before," said Penn State linebacker Sean Lee.

Returning to catch those passes are wide receivers Deon Butler, Jordan Norwood and Derrick Williams, who have been 1-2-3 on the team in receptions for each of the last two seasons. Fifth-year senior tailback Austin Scott, who redshirted in 2006 after a terrific fill-in performance in the 2006 Orange Bowl, will headline the running game. New starters Lou Eliades and Dennis Landolt join veterans A.Q. Shipley, Gerald Cadogan and John Shaw on a re-shuffled offensive line.

"We have this camaraderie," Cadogan said. "It's being more aggressive, it's Morelli stepping up and being a more vocal leader. ... The leaders that we have is what will make us more successful."

Morelli believes the offense will be more efficient as a unit because it has endured those growing pains as a unit, and that it will produce results quicker this season because of its added experience.

"You can practice all you want, but the speed of the game changes when it comes game time," he said. "It took us a while to get on the same page, but we did, and now we're just ready for the season to start."

At times last fall, the offense looked great -- until it reached the opponents' 20-yard line. Penn State converted just 22 of its 51 red-zone opportunities into touchdowns, the worst conversion rate in the Big Ten.

"When we get down in the red zone, putting six on the board is something we've got to focus on," Morelli said. "We didn't do a good job of that last season. It's something we've been working on."

The Golden Panthers, who return eight starters on defense, don't have enough athletes to give Penn State's offense a true test today. But it will be tested often this season. Those who have seen it in action believe it is ready to pass.

"They're gonna do some pretty amazing things this year," Connor said. "I've got a feeling."

Notes: Florida International is the first Sun Belt team to play Penn State. ... The Nittany Lions are 34-7 in season-openers under Joe Paterno. ... Paterno, in his 42nd season, breaks Amos Alonzo Stagg's record of seasons coached at one major college football school. ... Panthers first-year coach Mario Cristobal, a former assistant at Rutgers and Miami (Fla.), is the first Cuban-American head coach in college football. ... Today's game will be one of six televised on the inaugural Big Ten Network.

SteelCityMan786
09-01-2007, 07:38 AM
http://centredaily.com/sports/story/194073.html

Penn State taking on unknowns

Are you nervous, Penn State football fans?

Your coach is. In fact, Joe Paterno said Tuesday that he was "as nervous as I've probably ever been for the first game."

Such is the effect the Golden Panthers of Florida International -- incidentally, 38-point underdogs to the Nittany Lions -- can have on you.

The reason for Paterno's apparent anxiety (And let's give the man credit. In honoring a tradition that dates back to the Johnson administration, he managed to talk up a team that went 0-12 last year) is that, in what is becoming a trend, he has very little idea what he will see from the opponent when the Nittany Lions meet the Golden Panthers at noon Saturday in Beaver Stadium.

For the third time in the last four seasons, Penn State will open against a team that A) it hasn't played before or B) is breaking in a new coach and new offensive system.

The Golden Panthers and coach Mario Cristobal meet both criteria. Cristobal, who coached under Greg Schiano at Rutgers, has stocked his new defense with blitz packages that could well be similar to what the Scarlet Knights run. Offensive coordinator James Coley has installed a spread offense, possibly drawing from his time as an assistant at LSU.

Or maybe they'll come at Penn State with completely different game plans.

You just don't know. As of Thursday, Cristobal hadn't even named his starting quarterback yet. The Panthers, at this point, are virtually unscoutable.

That means Penn State's film junkies, like junior cornerback Justin King, feel like they're driving blind this week.

"It's extremely had to prepare for a team that you don't have much film on," King said. "We have to mix and match, look at where the offense is going and where it came from ... it's a guessing game."

So the Nittany Lions will bring a dozen sledgehammers to kill a fly.

"We've covered everything," linebacker Dan Connor said. "Every type of look, every type of attack from our own offense."

What should and probably does make Paterno nervous, however, is that, after this week, future opponents will have one game of film on Florida International -- and one game of film on Penn State (provided, that is, someone on the Notre Dame staff has access to the Big Ten Network).

Will the Nittany Lions pound the Panthers into a fine pulp? Yes, even without Andrew Quarless. The overall talent discrepancy in this game is frightening. The score might not show it, especially if Paterno decides to hand the ball to his three-headed tailback of Austin Scott, Rod Kinlaw and Evan Royster, say, 45 times, but there is no reason for Paterno or anyone else to worry about the outcome.

How the Nittany Lions play and what they reveal is a potential source of concern. If quarterback Anthony Morelli and his re-tooled offensive line have difficulty with whatever blitzes Cristobal decides to send their way, future opponents will take notice. If Penn State's young defensive linemen can't apply pressure on the quarterback or stuff the run, future opponents will take notice.

Today's game, like last year's Temple game and too many future dates on the schedule, is not about how the Nittany Lions play against an overmatched opponent but how well they play versus their own potential.

Before the sweat had dried after the Outback Bowl victory, this team was talking about lofty goals for 2007. The potential to reach those goals exists, but though the Nittany Lions don't have to be perfect in September (the 2005 team is a great example), they must at least prove early on that their strengths outnumber their weaknesses, that the perceived trouble spots are manageable.

Otherwise, it might not matter how much film they watch.

SteelCityMan786
09-01-2007, 07:39 AM
http://centredaily.com/sports/colleges/penn_state/story/195079.html

Last shot at greatness
By Gordon Brunskill - gbrunski@centredaily.com

UNIVERSITY PARK -- It has arrived: Austin Scott's final shot at glory.

There are no more chances after this season, the hourglass is running out.

There have been very few, if any, Penn State football players who have enrolled in school with heavier expectations on their shoulders.

However, a road that seemed smoothly paved to the Nittany Lions' history books and a career in the NFL ended up with a lot of potholes.

After he led the team in rushing as a freshman in 2003, although it was with a mere 436 yards on 100 carries, Scott's production has gone down. He has only 1,021 career yards and 10 touchdowns heading into his final season, which kicks off at noon today against Florida International at Beaver Stadium.

He has been dogged by injuries, including an ankle problem last year that kept him out for a few weeks and led to him taking a redshirt season.

He also has heard the chirps from disappointed fans who have questioned not only his desire but also his toughness.

"There are critics," Scott said. "But the critics aren't here working out with me every day. I know everybody out here, every last guy on the field will be able to tell you I work hard every workout. I'm one of the hardest workers on the team."

One of his critics was head coach Joe Paterno, who made a point last month at the Big Ten's annual media days in Chicago to call out the fifth-year senior tailback.

"I think Austin Scott's just gotta be a little more consistent," Paterno said. "When he wakes up in the morning, he can't be one guy one morning and another guy the next morning. And I think he's much better than he was. ... We'll see. But I think he's closer to where he's gotta be to be a big-time, consistent college tailback than he was a year ago."

Scott was Pennsylvania's Associated Press Big School Player of the Year after a record-shattering state-championship senior season at Parkland in 2002. In just one year he rushed for 3,853 yards and scored 53 touchdowns, and ran for nearly 6,000 yards in his career. As he turned in game after incredible game during his senior season, Nittany Lion fans counted the days until he would arrive on campus.

He admits it has been a little difficult seeing a career which has not lived up to his, and everyone else's, expectations.

Still, he thinks this is finally his time.

"It's a little hard to believe," Scott said. "But good things come in time."

He is solid and fit, working out with the receivers to build up his speed -- he says he can keep up with them -- and he has been taking the necessary precautions to avoid injuries. It was something perhaps he did not pay as much attention to in the past.

"You've just got to keep on fighting," Scott said, "and take the necessary precautions."

Meanwhile, taking the year off has him feeling fresher, and gave him a different vantage point on the game after spending most of last fall as the scout team running back.

"He's older, he's got a little bit more endurance, he knows a little bit more about what the game's all about, he's always been a good prospect," Paterno said. "Things had come so easy for him in high school."

Scott said he probably could have played after about the third game last season, but it was his choice to sit out the season.

"I made the decision," Scott said. "Coach Paterno actually wanted me to play last season."

Even though all appearances point to this finally being Scott's year, Paterno was not about to rubber-stamp the idea. At the team's annual Media Day in August, Paterno went out of his way to say there were others also in the running for the starting tailback position.

The list includes Rodney Kinlaw, also a fifth-year senior who has had injury problems. Kinlaw tore his ACL as a freshman and he says it took a good two seasons to be all the way back mentally and physically.

"I'm just going to go out and do the best I can do," Kinlaw said. "This is all in God's hands."

Kinlaw had 199 yards on 39 carries last fall -- the best of his career. He was used far more often on kickoff returns, averaging 19.3 yards per return last season, and he and A.J. Wallace figure to be the two in the back on kickoffs this year.

Also chasing for tailback time is redshirt freshman Evan Royster, who broke out for 45 yards on nine carries in April's Blue-White Game.

"I'm just hoping that I can get a chance to play and get on the field," Royster said. "Any time I can squeeze in between those two -- if it works out that way I'll be more than happy."

Each of them has his own style on the field. The 6-foot, 212-pound Scott is a back who often runs between the tackles, while Kinlaw, at 5-9 and 199, is more of a slasher. Royster, at 6-1 and 211, says he can do a little bit of both.

Offensive coordinator Galen Hall said the Nittany Lions likely will experiment a little and use two backs for the first few games until they can settle on a No. 1 man to replace workhorse Tony Hunt, a third-round draft pick of the Philadelphia Eagles. Hunt was a dependable runner good for 20-plus carries a game.

"You lose something like that, you just don't up and plug someone in," Hall said. "Hopefully Austin or Rodney or Evan Royster will come and play well."

Scott is just itching to get back on the field for real. He has not played a down since his game-high 110 yards and two touchdowns in a 26-23 triple overtime victory against Florida State in the Orange Bowl nearly 20 months ago.

Being forced to miss so much time was not lost on those around him, but the Nittany Lion coaching staff just hopes Scott doesn't try to make up for lost time.

"A competitor would be frustrated and Austin's a competitor," Hall said. "Now it's his chance and the thing we don't want to happen is him going out and putting too much pressure on himself. He thinks he has to go out and win this football game and he really doesn't. We've got a lot of good players around him."

Whether or not he feels the pressure, Scott knows this is his final shot.

"I have all the confidence in the world," he said. "I know I have a good offensive line in front of me, so what else could I ask for?"

SteelCityMan786
09-01-2007, 07:40 AM
http://centredaily.com/sports/story/195077.html

New chapter awaits for Nittany Lions

Finally, today the focus on the Penn State football team shifts directly to the field.

Barring any overnight incidents, which are unlikely given that the team is locked down at Toftrees as per usual Friday night procedure, the only news will be what this edition of the Nittany Lions does between the sidelines in Beaver Stadium.

No doubt everyone who is in any way involved with the program -- coaches, players, fans, media -- is relieved because it's been a rugged offseason sprinkled with court dates, suspensions, police reports and expulsions.

Today, it's all about kickoffs and quarterbacks, receptions and interceptions, runbacks and running backs.

Today, this football team will write the first chapter of its story. The next 12 Saturdays will reveal if it will be a best-seller.

One of the compelling story lines, at least for today, will be whether or not Joe Paterno has sufficiently recovered from the leg injuries suffered at Wisconsin which sidelined him for the final two games of last season.

You can bet virtually every set of eyeballs in the stadium will be focused on the tunnel beyond the South End Zone, waiting to see if he's going to able to run onto the field with his team. Even if he only jogs part way, the noise will wake up the dogs in Lemont. For him, it will be a triumphant moment, a sign that he has fought his way back from injuries that would have sentenced most octogenarians to a wheelchair or a walker.

But that's a sidebar to the main story, which is whether or not this team can live up to the expectations so many of you have for it.

Interest and excitement are at extraordinary levels for a team that has so many question marks heading into a season. But that's what makes college football so much fun. Fans are as optimistic as the lottery players, always believing they're one scratch away from the ultimate prize.

There is reason enough for the Lion fans to be optimistic. Anthony Morelli returns under center and history has shown that for the most part, second-year starters at that position at Penn State have done well. If he makes the expected progression, he'll put up some big numbers which should translate into at least nine wins. Morelli has a group of wide receivers at his disposal that have the potential to be as good as any Lion quarterback has ever had. Or at least he will have once tight end Andrew Quarless, currently indefinitely suspended, makes his way back.

Perhaps the biggest question mark hangs over tailback Austin Scott. Will he take advantage of his chance to be the starter? Will he deliver on the promise he showed as a high school senior when he was the most highly regarded running back in the country? Will he be able to go through the season injury free? If yes is the answer to all of those questions, the offense will take a lot of pressure off a defense that's rock solid from the linebackers back but has holes to fill across the front.

The kicking game is a major question mark. Replacing punter Jeremy Kapinos is a major concern. His ability to pin offenses deep was a major factor in the success of the defense last year, giving it a long field behind it. And with the kickoffs being moved back five yards, the pressure will be on Kevin Kelly to bang the ball at least to the goal line to give the special teams a chance to keep runbacks to a minimum.

But as is the case with most season-openers, this is a day to just savor the return of the game, to appreciate it for what it is.

The waiting is over.

SteelCityMan786
09-01-2007, 07:43 AM
http://centredaily.com/sports/story/194031.html

Receivers a strength for Nittany Lions
By Todd Ceisner - tceisner@centredaily.com

Maybe it was an honest oversight on the part of the media horde that jammed the Beaver Stadium interview room a few Saturdays back to listen to Penn State coach Joe Paterno offer his thoughts on the coming season.

Paterno fielded questions about his health, leadership and legal issues facing his team, the progression of quarterback Anthony Morelli and even next year's home game against Coastal Carolina, among others.

But no one got around to asking the coach his thoughts on his current crop of wide receivers. Question marks surrounded several positions on the Nittany Lions as they prepared for Saturday's season opener against Florida International. Offensive line, defensive line and running back have been hot topics. The wide receiver spot, however, appears to be a worry-free zone.

It's understandable considering Derrick Williams, Deon Butler and Jordan Norwood have 50 career starts and 220 career receptions among them and each has this season and next remaining on the eligibility chart. Add senior captain Terrell Golden, sophomore Chris Bell, converted quarterback Brett Brackett and redshirt sophomores Kevin Cousins and James McDonald, et al. and you have what is likely the deepest pool of talented and experienced receivers in the Paterno Era.

And with Morelli entering his second full season as the starter and having worked tirelessly in the offseason to get in sync with all his receivers, there's a real sense the Nittany Lions' passing game could be among the most dangerous in the Big Ten.

"I think you'll probably see more of what you saw last year," said Golden, who had six catches for 120 yards. "We are very deep at the wide receiver spot and any one of the guys in our corps could go anywhere in the nation and start. That's a tough job for the coaches.

"But we, the receivers, have to know that we're doing what's best for the team. No one can be selfish. Derrick might have a great game and the next game, Jordan might have a great game and the next week it might be Jordan again. We just have to know that every day is not going to be our day and the next week, who knows, you might go for 200 yards. It's a give and take. If Deon has a great day, we're all happy and excited to go see the film on Sunday or Monday and see how he did it so we can learn from him. We just all feed off each other."

Williams appears trimmer, a product of a pretty basic workout regimen during the spring and summer.

"Just running. Running, running, running, running," he said. "As a receiver, we run the most on the field and I don't want to go out there and look tired. I just wanted to be in the best condition that I could be in."

Coming off a season during which he amassed 955 all-purpose yards, including 440 receiving, Williams, who's listed at 6 feet, 189 pounds -- some 10 lighter than last year -- could be poised for a breakout year.

"I think he has that burst back," Butler said. "He definitely looks a lot faster and is a lot more confident in himself. He was confident last year but he feels real good at the weight he's playing at now. He's doing the regular things I've seen Derrick do. He's making plays and getting back to his old self."

Paterno is anxious to see how Williams' hard work pays off. It was just three years ago that Williams was the No. 1-rated recruit in the country. Some would argue he's underachieved through two seasons.

"Derrick's had his moments," Paterno said. "He's been a little inconsistent catching the ball at times. I think he's tried too hard. I think he's put an awful lot of pressure on himself. There isn't a guy on the team who works any harder than Derrick Williams does or a guy who wants to be any better than Williams wants to be. I think this is a key year for him."

The other key could be Morelli's improved command of the offense and chemistry with his receivers.

"Just walking up to the line of scrimmage, he's calling audibles now since he has the freedom to do that," Butler said. "Guys who maybe mess up on a route, instead of being a nice guy, he knows that being a leader he's going to have to step on some toes so he'll get in people's faces about it. I don't even know if we had some audibles last year. This year, he definitely has more freedom to come to the line and read the coverages and call some of his own plays."

The receiver corps has its known commodities in Butler, Williams and Norwood as well as its relative unknowns such as Bell, who made five receptions for 66 yards and picked 18 yards rushing on two carries last year.

Ask the 6-2, 210-pound Norfolk, Va., native what this offense is capable of this season and he fires back, "Scoring from anywhere on the field."

And he could very well be one of the reasons. Bell has the physical skills to be a threat every time he's on the field.

"I can honestly say that if I do and when I do get on the field," Bell said, "I'm going to take that opportunity to the highest point I can take it. I don't put myself in too many situations where somebody can say, 'He's not ready, maybe we shouldn't have played him.' I just take everything I do to heart and something serious like this means a lot to me because I don't want to embarrass myself, let alone my team."

While the players say competition in practice has been fierce as each catch or drop or route is dissected and analyzed, it hasn't taken away from the team-first attitude.

"Everybody loves everybody," Williams said. "And if you look at any top-notch team, everybody has a certain feel about the group and everybody has jelled together. I think this team has that, it's just a close-knit group of guys."

SteelCityMan786
09-01-2007, 07:49 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07244/813951-143.stm

Football: Butler wants the magic back at Penn State
Saturday, September 01, 2007

The clock is ticking for Deon Butler. He would like to turn it back to 2005.

That's the year the one-time walk-on and former defensive back burst onto the scene as a game-breaking receiver for Penn State. Butler caught a team-leading 37 passes for 691 yards and nine touchdowns as a redshirt freshman.

Five of his touchdown catches covered more than 40 yards. He had six other receptions of 20 yards or longer.

Butler became quarterback Michael Robinson's go-to guy after Derrick Williams went out with a season-ending broken arm in the seventh game against Michigan.

"I was on top of the world," Butler said. "Everything was clicking for me. But that changed pretty quickly."

A year ago, Butler grabbed a 42-yard scoring strike from Anthony Morelli in the opener against Akron.

But Butler managed only one touchdown catch in the final 12 games, despite leading the team with 48 catches for 637 yards.

If he had his way Butler, expected to make his 22nd career start at noon today when No. 17 Penn State opens its season against Florida International at Beaver Stadium, would eliminate the run and the punt from coach Joe Paterno's playbook.

"I want us to go back to the exciting offense we had in 2005, when we were 11-1," he said. "We were so electrifying that year. I liked to call us 'The People's Offense.' Even if you didn't like Penn State, you watched our offense because we scored. That's what people want to see.

"That's why people watch Boise State play. You have no clue where Boise State is, but you're going to watch because their offense is exciting. We just want to get that excitement back to where people are holding their breath on every play. We want to pass on all three downs and then go for it on fourth down."

Butler and fellow receivers Jordan Norwood and Derrick Williams -- who in 2006 became the first trio of Penn State receivers to each have 40 or more receptions in a season -- all had dramatic drop-offs in average yards per catch a year ago. And they combined for half as many touchdown catches (five) as in 2005 (10).

Although Penn State's undersized receivers -- Butler and Norwood are 5 feet 10, Williams 6-0 -- had to adjust to first-year starter Anthony Morelli last season, Butler said everyone deserves blame for the Lions' lack of production on offense.

"We just didn't get it done," he said.

Offensive coordinator Galen Hall said there's a good chance the Lions may use more four-receiver sets this season, with 6-2 Chris Bell, 6-3 Terrell Golden and 6-6 Brent Brackett, a former quarterback, joining the mix.

"We have some playmakers," Hall said. "We've got to devise ways to get those playmakers into the game."

Butler's 48 receptions last season tied for sixth-most in Penn State history.

He delivered one of the most memorable performances ever in the Lions' Big Ten opener at Northwestern, catching a career-high 11 passes for a school-record 216 yards and a touchdown.

"Deon Butler is a great wideout," said Morelli, who is from Penn Hills High School. "He came here as a walk-on ... now he's taken off big-time. He can run by just about anybody. He has good skills. He can catch the ball anytime you throw it up to him. He can catch it whether he's looking behind him, it's over his head, or whatever. He adjusts to the football very well. Even if you make a bad throw, he can make you look good."

SteelCityMan786
09-01-2007, 12:50 PM
For today's scoring........

TOUCHDOWN TERRELL GOLDEN

Penn State 7, Florida International 0

SteelCityMan786
09-01-2007, 12:50 PM
TOUCHDOWN MICKEY SHULER

Penn State 14, Florida International 0

SteelCityMan786
09-01-2007, 12:51 PM
KEVIN KELLY'S KICK IS GOOD

Penn State 17, Florida International 0

SteelCityMan786
09-01-2007, 12:51 PM
TOUCHDOWN AUSTIN SCOTT

Penn State 24, Florida International 0

SteelCityMan786
09-01-2007, 01:02 PM
Good Half so far. They need to establish the run here though.

SteelCityMan786
09-01-2007, 01:13 PM
TURNOVER! PENN STATE FOOTBALL!

SteelCityMan786
09-01-2007, 01:20 PM
TOUCHDOWN AUSTIN SCOTT

Penn State 31, Florida International 0

SteelCityMan786
09-01-2007, 01:29 PM
TOUCHDOWN RODNEY KINLAW

Penn State 38, Florida International 0

SteelCityMan786
09-01-2007, 01:49 PM
TOUCHDOWN MATT HAHN

Penn State 45, Florida International 0

SteelCityMan786
09-01-2007, 01:57 PM
TOUCHDOWN EVAN ROYSTER

Penn State 52, Florida International 0

SteelCityMan786
09-01-2007, 02:13 PM
TOUCHDOWN DAN LAWLOR

Penn State 59, Florida International 0

lilyoder6
09-01-2007, 02:17 PM
it's a raping

SteelCityMan786
09-01-2007, 02:35 PM
Great Game. 1 win down. Many more to go.

SteelCityMan786
09-01-2007, 02:44 PM
http://gopsusports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/090107aaa.html

Penn State Football Eve Celebration Draws 25,000

Lions Host Florida International Saturday at 12:00 p.m.

Sept. 1, 2007

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. - A enthusiastic, blue and white clad crowd approaching 25,000 celebrated the start of the 2007 campaign tonight at "Penn State Football Eve, presented by Sheetz" in Beaver Stadium.

Coach Joe Paterno got the crowd fired up for Saturday's season opener with Florida International. Team captains Dan Connor, Terrell Golden and Anthony Morelli also spoke and the entire squad was in attendance. The Blue Band, cheerleaders and Lionettes dance team also performed. The Nittany Lions' team video made its debut and the evening culminated with fireworks over the stadium.

"Penn State Football Eve" activities began outside the stadium with a fan promenade, festival food and fun along Curtin Road. The biggest crowd in the event's history was greeted by a warm, clear evening in Happy Valley.

WHVL-TV, Ch. 29 in State College, made its debut by airing "Penn State Football Eve, presented by Sheetz" live. WHVL will air "Penn State Tailgate" live from outside Medlar Field at Lubrano Park prior to and immediately after all Nittany Lion home football games. The program will air starting two hours before kickoff, with the post-game show slated to run two hours after the final whistle. Jed Donahue is the host and he will be joined by a pair of former Nittany Lion All-Americans, Kenny Jackson and Blair Thomas, on the telecasts. WHVL will air throughout the State College-Altoona-Johnstown-Lewistown market.

Paterno's 42nd Penn State team returns 32 letterwinners and 15 starters for the 2007 season. The Nittany Lions will open their 121st season against FIU at 12:00 p.m. The contest will air on the Big Ten Network, the Penn State Sports Network and www.GoPSUsports.com, the official website of Penn State Athletics.

SteelCityMan786
09-01-2007, 09:41 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/college/pennstate/s_525331.html

Penn State blows out Florida International
By Sam Ross Jr.
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, September 1, 2007

UNIVERSITY PARK - Penn State's football team got a headstart on today's cleanup detail by sweeping Florida International out of Beaver Stadium on Saturday.

The 59-0 Lions win prompted a diplomatic Nittany Lions linebacker Sean Lee to observe: "Athletically, we might have been a little better."

Florida International also gambled and lost schematically. On defense, the Golden Panthers' plan was to stunt and blitz and force Penn State to throw the football. Bad move.

Anthony Morelli responded with 231 passing yards -- by halftime -- the most a Penn State quarterback has ever thrown for in the first half. By game's end, Morelli had set personal marks for completions (23), attempts (38) and yards (295) and equalled his career best with three touchdown passes.

"It's a quarterback's dream to go out there and throw the ball to open up the run," Morelli said.

Quarterbacks coach Jay Paterno, who chatted for a few minutes before visiting his wife and newborn daughter in the hospital, thought he was dreaming, too.

"Any time Joe (Paterno) comes down and says throw it every down, I'm happy," Jay said.

Morelli had two touchdown passes by halftime, a 4-yarder to Terrell Golden and a 17-yarder to Mickey Shuler.

Shuler played for Andrew Quarless, who was sat out as punishment for an underage drinking arrest. Morelli added a 1-yard toss to Matt Hahn in the second half.

Kevin Kelly also booted a 45-yard field goal in the first half.

That Penn State running game, which Joe Paterno had described as "terrible early," was held to 35 yards on 16 carries in the first half. Still, Austin Scott managed a 1-yard TD run in the second quarter.

In the second half, Penn State scored four rushing touchdowns -- an 8-yarder by Scott, 15-yarder by Rodney Kinlaw, 13-yarder by Evan Royster and 16-yarder by Dan Lawlor -- and netted 201 yards on the ground.

"We could have run (in the first half)," guard Rich Ohrnberger said. "But passing was just the better option."

Florida International blew any chance of staying competitive by losing five of six fumbles and having a punt and field goal blocked.

That field goal block, a 29-yard attempt swatted down by defensive tackle Jared Odrick in the second quarter, was the closest the Golden Panthers came to scoring.

The overmatched visitors allowed Penn State to plumb the record books.

The 59-point production was the most for Penn State since the Lions put up 63 against Illinois in 2005. The margin of victory was the largest since a 67-7 win over Louisiana Tech. And it was the largest margin of victory in a shutout for Penn State since the 81-0 blanking of Cincinnati in 1991. This was Penn State's third shutout in the past six games.

Penn State's defense had seven sacks and limited FIU to a net of minus-3 yards rushing and 114 yards of total offense. The defense did it with a simplified gameplan.

"We just wanted to make sure we were ready to play well and play fast," defensive coordinator Tom Bradley said. "That was our goal. We were going to give up some things to make sure there weren't going to be any mistakes."

What can Penn State take from a game with such an overmatched opponent?

"Confidence," Morelli said.

Linebacker Dan Connor, who had a sack and a fumble recovery, was looking forward to being back at the stadium today wielding a broom with his teammates as they clean up as punishment for incidents this spring.

"A lot of guys are riding high right now with the win," Connor said. "It's going to be good to bring everybody back down to earth."

Black@Gold Forever32
09-01-2007, 10:23 PM
Penn State is gay...lol

SteelCityMan786
09-01-2007, 10:29 PM
Penn State is gay...lol

So who might you be? A Hoosier? Boilermaker? You know we beat them both of the last match-ups.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-01-2007, 10:45 PM
So who might you be? A Hoosier? Boilermaker? You know we beat them both of the last match-ups.

Nope I don't like IU or Purdue....I'm Pittsburgh sports fan since both of my parents were born/raised in western PA......So figure it out who I root for in college football and basketball....:thumbsup: Plus I just hate Penn State.......Will Joe Pa the old fart hurry up and retire already......:sofunny:

For the record I don't care who Penn State beat in their last match ups...lol Enjoy your Big 10 title though since Michigan's defense sucks ass...lol

SteelCityMan786
09-01-2007, 11:06 PM
Nope I don't like IU or Purdue....I'm Pittsburgh sports fan since both of my parents were born/raised in western PA......So figure it out who I root for in college football and basketball....:thumbsup: Plus I just hate Penn State.......Will Joe Pa the old fart hurry up and retire already......:sofunny:

For the record I don't care who Penn State beat in their last match ups...lol Enjoy your Big 10 title though since Michigan's defense sucks ass...lol

We're looking to bring it home. Started moving in that direction with FIU.

SteelCityMan786
09-02-2007, 09:29 PM
http://www.altoonamirror.com/PennState/PSarticles.asp?articleID=14840

Lions ready to clean stadium

UNIVERSITY PARK ? Sleeping late and eating brunch usually occupy John Shaw?s Sunday mornings.

??It?s a day of relaxation,?? the lineman said.

Not this one, for at least the first part. Shaw and his teammates will start their day by sweeping smashed nachos, hot dog wrappers, cups and other garbage from underneath Beaver Stadium?s 107,282 seats.

Penn State coach Joe Paterno handed down the punishment in May for an incident April 1. As many as 20 players reportedly were involved in a fight at an off-campus apartment.

The entire team will bus to its home stadium at 7:50 a.m. today to begin paying its debt.

The bus ride ??is going to come early,?? center A.Q. Shipley said.

??It?s going to be an early morning,?? receiver Terrell Golden said. ??But hey, we committed to doing it.??

The team will try to make Beaver Stadium spotless for two hours, beginning at 8 a.m.

Just how tall will the task be? Bob Hudzik, Penn State?s stadium and athletic field supervisor, can never be sure.

??Oh, God,?? he said Thursday, letting out a deep sigh. ??It just varies. ... There?s no set figure. It varies on the weather conditions and time of game.??

The balmy weather all week should play into the players? favor, but one aspect that won?t is Saturday?s noon start. Hudzik expected to sell more food than usual since the game began when most people eat lunch.

When the Nittany Lions arrive at Beaver Stadium, they?ll be met with brooms, gloves and a shovel to place the garbage into bags.

??It?s one thing to say, ?Hey, you?re not supposed to do this,??? Golden said. ??But when you actually get a punishment that?s carried out ... this is a pretty good one, honestly.??

Paterno will be absent from the drudgery of cleaning the second-biggest stadium in the country.

??I don?t want to make this a circus,?? he said. ??They are going to go out and they?ll be here and they?ll clean up a section and they?ll do it. ... But for me to go out there and take a broom, you know, pictures will be all over and you won?t even know the kids did it. It?ll be Paterno, back to where he should be, sweeping.??

Cornerback Justin King can?t blame Paterno for not coming.

??He shouldn?t,?? the standout corner said. ??He wasn?t there the night everything happened.??

Members of the men?s and women?s fencing teams and the powerlifting team also will help clean, according to Hudzik.

It?s likely those teams will be sticking around much longer than two hours. The job typically takes anywhere from four to eight hours.

??Once in a great while, we?ll go over [eight hours] strictly because it was a messy game and teams don?t have as many people as they think they?ll have,?? Hudzik said.

Varsity and club sports clean the stadium to help raise funds. The responsibility of cleaning Beaver Stadium can bring in up to a reported $5,000, though Hudzik wouldn?t confirm the price.

Hudzik sends a form in the summer to varsity coaches to measure their interest, and in August, he fills in available dates with willing club sports.

Hudzik meets with the team?s president at 7 a.m. and provides the necessary equipment. The rest of the team usually begins at 8.

??It takes some organization,?? Hudzik said. ??We just can?t have everybody show up. ... It can be chaotic.??

It?s an undertaking Hudzik said people can?t understand.

??Just like the general public really wouldn?t have an idea of the massive undertaking it is to clean the parking lots,?? he said. ??That?s a sore subject for me.??

The fight and its fallout have been a sore subject for Paterno, who declared the entire team would show up after every game to clean. Felony charges are still pending against safety Anthony Scirrotto and defensive lineman Chris Baker.

??I know we?ll have the whole team out there [today],?? Golden said. ??That?s all I know.??

Linebacker Dan Connor said trouble sleeping the night after a game will keep him ??up and around.??

Shipley tries to wake up at 9 on Sunday mornings. He goes out later in the day to lift weights.

??[After] the first game, you?re not used to the soreness,?? he said. ??My legs are going to be dead [today].??

Receiver Derrick Williams is looking at perhaps the only silver lining.

??The biggest thing is I think it?s going to be a team-building thing,?? he said. ??Any time you?re with your team, you?re going to be laughing, joking.??

SteelCityMan786
09-02-2007, 09:37 PM
http://www.altoonamirror.com/PennState/PSarticles.asp?articleID=14838

Penn State players, fans enjoy Wolverine shocker

UNIVERSITY PARK ? Chris Baker?s game had barely ended before he began to cheer on his new favorite team.

Baker had just helped Penn State beat Florida International, 59-0.

Down to his uniform pants and an undershirt, Baker led a mob of several hundred students huddled around the TV watching the end of the Appalachian State?s stunning 34-32 win over Michigan.

As Michigan attempted a last-second field goal, Baker pumped his fists in the air and joined in the raucous chants of ??Block that kick!??

Baker ? and his fellow students ? got his wish.

??That?s pretty crazy,?? cornerback Justin King said of the outcome. ??A lot of bettors probably lost a lot of money on that one.??

Terrell Golden, still dressed in his full uniform, leapt over the tables in the concession stand outside section SD, heard the end result and retreated back to the locker room.

??It was fun guessing what happened,?? Golden said.

Derrick Williams was in the locker room but said he knew the result based on hearing the student section.

Most of the day?s loudest ovations were reserved for updates of Michigan?s game. Students united in their nearly universal dislike for the Wolverines by chanting ??A-S-U?? in the last few minutes of Penn State?s contest.

After Penn State?s game officially ended, students carried the action to the concourse to watch the game on the TVs surrounding the concession stands.

Rallying cries encouraging Jason Gingell, Michigan?s kicker, to miss filled the air, while other remarks were more biting.

One student exclaimed, ??No extra time on the clock!?? He was referring to two seconds added that helped Michigan beat Penn State in 2005.

Penn State coach Joe Paterno heard of the loss in his post game press conference.

??I have a tremendous amount of respect for them and their program,?? he said. ??I?m not rooting against them. When we play them, I?m going to root against them, obviously.??

SteelCityMan786
09-02-2007, 09:40 PM
http://www.altoonamirror.com/PennState/PSarticles.asp?articleID=14837

Nits' Notebook

Shuler makes name for himself

UNIVERSITY PARK ? Andrew who? Penn State now has a new tight end with an old name.

Mickey Shuler Jr., son of the former PSU standout and NFL Pro Bowler with the same name, made his first significant contributions to the Nittany Lions on Saturday.

Filling in for Andrew Quarless, who?s suspended indefinitely for a recent underage drinking citation, Shuler enjoyed a memorable day by barreling into the end zone on his first collegiate grab.

??Mickey stepped in, he did a great job protecting, caught the ball, made plays,?? quarterback Anthony Morelli said.

Shuler took a pass from Morelli on the right sideline midway through the first quarter and bulldozed over safety Cory Fleming at the 2-yard line to reach the end zone.

??I had a great opportunity to go out there and play,?? said Shuler, a redshirt sophomore. ??I was happy with my performance, but it can always be better. There?s always things to work on ... [but] it was fun for me.??

The elder Shuler played 14 seasons in the NFL ? 12 with the Jets and two with the Eagles ? before retiring in 1991. His son was born in 1986 and doesn?t remember much about his dad?s career.

??The memory I remember is he used to, after the games, he used to pick me up when he was walking in like the tunnel here,?? the younger Shuler said. ??I used to get handed down because I was just a little kid over the railing, and he?d take me in the locker room.??

Shuler, who didn?t find out he was starting until Friday, tied for second on the team with four catches for 54 yards.

??I thought he handled himself well for a guy who hasn?t played any football,?? PSU coach Joe Paterno said. ??Mickey?s a good athlete. He comes from a good stock.

??He?s a hard worker, and when we recruited him, a lot of people didn?t think he?d be big enough to be a tight end. But he?s worked hard in the weight room and he?s 250 pounds. He runs well and has good hands, and he?ll get better as he gets a little better feel for a couple things.??

Shuler could start again next week if Paterno doesn?t lift Quarless? suspension. Quarless and cornerback Willie Harriott, suspended for the same reason, did dress Saturday but didn?t play.

FIU endures forgettable day

A penalty was called on Florida International in the third quarter, and the referee said, ??Prior to the snap, the entire line moved.??

It was that kind of day for the Golden Panthers. They did little right, crossed into Penn State territory just twice and lost five of six fumbles.

??We came up here and we did play hard, we did,?? FIU coach Mario Cristobal said. ??We just made the typical young team errors. We gave the ball up in our own territory.??

The Golden Panthers, who went 0-12 last season, were held to minus-3 yards rushing and only 114 yards of total offense.

??This was a life lesson learned,?? linebacker Scott Bryant said. ??Penn State is a great team. They executed well. They did everything they were supposed to do. We just have to go out there and learn from our mistakes.??

Boone booms ?em

New punter Jeremy Boone had a big day, booting five kicks for an average of 47.4 yards and a long of 54.

??It was a dream come true,?? the redshirt sophomore said of starting.

Boone won the job over freshman Ryan Breen, who has a stronger leg but is still working on accuracy and technique.

??He?s definitely got a really strong leg,?? Boone said of his counterpart. ??It?s been great working against him during camp and everything just to see how I rank.??

If Saturday is any indication, Boone ranks just fine. He got good distance and hang time on all of his kicks.

??There was plenty of adrenaline rush going on there,?? said Boone, who?s replacing third-team All-American Jeremy Kapinos.

??I owe a lot of thanks to Jeremy Kapinos,?? Boone said. ??He sent me a text [Friday] night and just said stay easy, relax and just let everything happen.??

Overall, the special teams units had a good day. Place-kicker Kevin Kelly missed a 51-yard attempt wide right in the first quarter but atoned with a 45-yard effort in the second.

Kelly also did a fine job on kickoffs, booting the ball deep despite moving back to the 30-yard line.

??Kicking was good,?? Paterno said. ??I think Boone, for the first time, really did a great job. Kelly did a good job on kickoffs. We did a great job covering the kickoff.??

Personnel report

Altoona?s Brendan Perretta made his debut at cornerback in the second half. ... Redshirt freshman quarterback Pat Devlin made his PSU debut in mop-up duty, after backup Daryll Clark played. Devlin misfired on his only pass attempt. ... Defensive lineman Kevion Latham burned his redshirt and was the lone true freshman to see action.

Starting units

Offense: Penn State opened in a five-receiver set. After that, the first-team unit was: Anthony Morelli (QB), Austin Scott (TB), Derrick Williams (WR), Deon Butler (WR), Matt Hahn (FB), Gerald Cadogan (LT), Rich Ohrnberger (LG), A.Q. Shipley (C), John Shaw (RG), Dennis Landolt (RT), Mickey Shuler (TE).

Defense: Josh Gaines (LE), Jared Odrick (LT), Ollie Ogbu (RT), Maurice Evans (RE), Sean Lee (LB), Dan Connor (LB), Tyrell Sales (LB), Justin King (RCB), Tony Davis (FS), Anthony Scirrotto (Hero), Lydell Sargeant (LCB).

Kickoff: Kevin Kelly, Jerome Hayes, Anthony Scirrotto, Jason Ganter, Lydell Sargeant, Justin King, Josh Hull, Terrell Golden, Navorro Bowman, Tyrell Sales, Cedric Jeffries.

Kickoff return: Rodney Kinlaw, A.J. Wallace, Mark Rubin, Cedric Jeffries, Brett Brackett, Bani Gbadyu, Josh Hull, Navorro Bowman, Jerome Hayes, Matt Hahn, Josh Ganter.

Punt: Jeremy Boone, A.J. Wallace, Terrell Golden, Tyrell Sales, Sean Lee, Matt Hahn, Dan Connor, Navorro Bowman, Knowledge Timmons, Jerome Hayes, A.Q. Shipley.

Punt return: Derrick Williams, Anthony Scirrotto, Mark Rubin, Navorro Bowman, Jerome Hayes, Justin King, Tony Davis, Josh Hull, Bani Gbadyu, Evan Royster, Matt Hahn.

Field goal unit: Kevin Kelly, Mickey Shuler, Lou Eliades, Gerald Cadogan, A.Q. Shipley, Dennis Landolt, Matt Hahn, Rich Ohrnberger, John Shaw, Patrick Weber, Jeremy Boone.

SteelCityMan786
09-02-2007, 09:41 PM
http://www.altoonamirror.com/PennState/PSarticles.asp?articleID=14836

It may take some time for offense to run well

By Neil Rudel, nrudel@altoonamirror.com

UNIVERSITY PARK — As openers go, most people would take a 59-0 victory, and Joe Paterno did.

But he’s also seen better.

“We were very, very sloppy early,” Paterno said Saturday after the Nittany Lions outclassed Florida International at Beaver Stadium.

Though Penn State got better as the game went on, made adjustments and finished strong, its first impression — at least on offense — raised some concerns.

Chief among them: A Penn State team that has trouble running will be in trouble as the schedule unfolds.

By the time the offense hit more of a comfort zone against the Golden Panthers, Paterno had decided, “in fairness, Florida [International] got tired.”

When FIU wasn’t tired, it held the Lions to 5 rushing yards on nine attempts in the first quarter.

“Terrible,” Paterno called his early ground game.

After they’re done cleaning up the stadium today as part of punishment for off-the-field indiscretions, the Lions have a week to re-examine before Notre Dame arrives.

“Against a team like Notre Dame, any team that we’re going to have to play in a tough game, we’re going to have to run the ball to get things going,” center A.Q. Shipley said.

Paterno had a hunch FIU would force Penn State into a passing game.

“They do a really good job stunting, and they stopped a lot of our basic plays,” he said. “They left themselves wide open for the pass.”

Anthony Morelli was not as sharp as his statistics (295 yards, three touchdowns) might indicate, at least early, but the Lions should have been able to run considering their passing game was reasonably successful.

Which begs the next question: Is there a tailback controversy looming, or has it already begun?

No tailback even started the game, as the Lions opened in a five-receiver set with Derrick Williams lined up at tailback.

Austin Scott did not distinguish himself. Nor did his offensive line, especially a left side of Gerald Cadogan and Rich Ohrnberger.

When Scott did get some running room, he seemed slow to the hole. He admitted he was “anxious.” Scott wound up with 46 yards on 11 carries, including a 20-yarder in the third quarter.

Though he thought he’d be able to “get into more of a rhythm,” Scott took the company line afterward, saying of the apparent committee, “It’s fine. Most programs have it like that.”

Except for fumbling in the first half before a third-quarter 28-yard run padded his statistics to eight carries for 66 yards, Rodney Kinlaw was a little better. Third-teamer Evan Royster, going against a now rubber-legged FIU defense, hit the holes quickly and added 70 on eight carries.

“When they had some running room,” Paterno said of his tailbacks, “I thought they did well.”

There’s a benefit-of-the-doubt factor in the first game.

But that’s also offset by the fact that Florida International, with its 12 punts, six fumbles, seven penalties and eight sacks allowed, couldn’t have played worse.

Penn State’s defense and special teams were outstanding. It passing game pretty much picked up where it left off against Tennessee.

The backs, and the line, pass protected well.

Now everybody will wait for the running game to click. Tony Hunt became the Nittany Lions’ second all-time leading rusher because he at times put several defenders on his back and carried them. Maybe Hunt’s ability masked familiar problems.

“We definitely have to run the ball better,” Scott said, “and we will.”

To survive September unscathed, Austin Scott & Co. will need to answer that belief.

SteelCityMan786
09-02-2007, 09:42 PM
http://www.altoonamirror.com/PennState/PSarticles.asp?articleID=14835

International lampoon: Nittany Lions enjoy laugher in season opener

UNIVERSITY PARK — Even cupcakes can sour a season, as Michigan learned Saturday, but Penn State easily avoided any such embarrassment by chewing up its vanilla opponent.

The Nittany Lions opened the season against one of the nation’s worst teams and made that squad look bad despite playing sluggish themselves at times. Florida International barely put up a fight against a stifling defense and Anthony Morelli’s arm as PSU cruised, 59-0, before 107,678 fans at Beaver Stadium.

‘‘It’s always great to see the zero,’’ defensive coordinator Tom Bradley said of the shutout. ‘‘Didn’t expect it.’’

Talk about not expecting something. The biggest cheers of the day at Beaver Stadium came not after one of Penn State’s many scores, but when Appalachian State finished off a shocking upset at Michigan.

You’d think the Lions had won the national title with the thunderous applause (see story, Page C2).

Penn State coach Joe Paterno expressed concerns this past week about Florida International because his coaching staff knew little about the opponent. Such worries now may be taken a little more seriously when the big boys take on the so-called cupcakes.

Well, perhaps as long as one of those cupcakes isn’t FIU, which was 0-12 last year and may struggle winning a game this season.

Penn State hadn’t shut out a season-opening opponent in 26 years — Cincinnati, 52-0, in 1981 — but its defense forced five turnovers and barely got a challenge against the overmatched group from South Florida.

The offense showed it still has some work to do as the running game struggled early, but Morelli proved he can carry the load. The senior second-year starter got the green light from the playcallers and enjoyed a super opening day.

‘‘It was awesome,’’ Morelli, who attempted 38 passes in only three quarters, said of slinging the ball all over the field. ‘‘It was like a dream come true, just get the ball to my receivers and let them make plays. That’s what I like to do, and we did a good job of it today.’’

Morelli did a better job of it in the first half than any quarterback in Penn State history. He threw for 231 yards, breaking Mike McQueary’s school record for an opening half. McQueary’s old mark was 219 yards against Wisconsin in 1997.

‘‘[McQueary] came over and grabbed me whenever he found out [about the record], and he pretended like he was upset, but he told me good job,’’ Morelli said.

Morelli finished 23-of-38 for 295 yards, all career highs. He also tossed three TD passes, matching his career best.

‘‘I thought he handled things very well,’’ quarterbacks coach Jay Paterno said. ‘‘[He] managed the game well, threw a couple away that he would have forced last year, so I think that was a big step forward.’’

Joe Paterno took his own step forward before the game. The iconic 80-year-old wanted to start his 42nd season the way he always has, by running out of the tunnel with his team.

Paterno, coming back from last year’s broken left leg, did indeed do his trademark jog, though with a noticeable limp. He also displayed his trademark sense of humor after the game.

‘‘A couple of kids were teasing me a little bit about how they don’t want me to get hurt,’’ Paterno said, ‘‘and one of the coaches said, ’You know, Coach, you didn’t know they cared about you.’ And I said, ’Sure they care about me. I sign their scholarship.’’

Paterno also jogged out for the second half but only made it to the 5-yard line before walking the rest of the way to the sideline.

Morelli hit Terrell Golden for a 4-yard TD pass on Penn State’s opening drive to ignite the rout. Morelli found tight end Mickey Shuler later in the opening quarter for a 17-yard score and 14-0 lead.

The Lions looked like they could reach 50 points in the first half with Florida International coughing it up so much and Morelli playing so well. The running game’s problems stalled some drives, though, and the half ended with PSU up just 24-0 after Kevin Kelly’s 45-yard field goal and Austin Scott’s 1-yard TD.

‘‘I’m a quarterback coach, [and] any time Joe comes down and says throw it every down, I’m happy,’’ Jay Paterno said.

Morelli not only seemed happy, he also appeared to be more poised than he showed most of last season. He remained calm in the pocket, sidestepped defenders and showed an improved ability to check off receivers.

In short, he looked exactly like he did in last season’s Outback Bowl victory over Tennessee.

‘‘Joe’s been showing him his new moves with the new leg, so he learned all those moves from Joe,’’ Jay Paterno joked when asked about Morelli’s footwork in the pocket.

The Lions’ running game improved in the third quarter as Scott scored from 8 yards out and backup tailback Rodney Kinlaw from 15 yards for a 38-0 lead.

Morelli hit his third TD pass, a 1-yard toss to fullback Matt Hahn, and redshirt freshman Evan Royster scored on a 13-yard run late in the third quarter. Backup fullback Dan Lawlor closed the scoring with a 16-yard touchdown in the fourth.

Royster led the Lions with 70 yards rushing on eight carries, while Kinlaw had 66 yards on eight tries and Scott 46 yards on 11 attempts.

‘‘They did a good job stopping the run,’’ Morelli said, ‘‘so we threw the ball well. Then we made adjustments at halftime, and we were able to run the ball, too.’’

A strong game from PSU’s defensive line helped limit Florida International to minus-3 yards rushing.

‘‘They did an unbelievable job,’’ linebacker Dan Connor said of the young line, considered one of the team’s biggest question marks.

The Lions used Saturday as a warm-up for next week’s matchup against Notre Dame at Beaver Stadium. Penn State’s players haven’t forgotten about the 41-17 thumping the Fighting Irish handed them last year in South Bend.

‘‘This is going to be a game that I kind of had circled,’’ Connor said. ‘‘I’m ready to go get another crack at ’em.’’

SteelCityMan786
09-02-2007, 09:43 PM
http://centredaily.com/sports/colleges/penn_state/story/195808.html

First half serves as adjustment for Nittany Lion running game
By Guy Cipriano - gciprian@centredaily.com

UNIVERSITY PARK -- Penn State freshman Evan Royster's 13-yard touchdown run late in the third quarter and junior Dan Lawlor's 16-yard touchdown run to begin the fourth resembled plays created during simpler times.

They were up-the-middle runs that illustrated the physical differences between Penn State and Florida International. The runs also illustrated the conundrum the Nittany Lions faced in Saturday's opener at Beaver Stadium.

Penn State didn't convert a substantial run until the second half of a 59-0 victory over Florida International.

Penn State gained a hearty 210 yards on 48 carries, but at halftime, the Nittany Lions had just 35 yards on 16 carries. Almost half of those yards came on Rodney Kinlaw's 16-yard jaunt on a draw play with less than a minute remaining in the half.

As grim as the numbers appeared -- the Nittany Lions averaged 2.2 yards per first-half attempt -- the lack of rushing production didn't concern many Nittany Lions.

"We weren't worrying about it at all because we were putting points on the board and they couldn't get in the end zone," junior tackle Gerald Cadogan said.

The Nittany Lions used the first half to adjust to life without bruising tailback Tony Hunt and massive left tackle Levi Brown. Both players are now in the NFL -- Hunt is with the Philadelphia Eagles and the Arizona Cardinals selected Brown in the first round of this year's draft -- and the Nittany Lions were displaying an offense that included senior Austin Scott at tailback for the first time since the 2006 Orange Bowl.

Scott, who redshirted last season, gained 16 yards on seven first-half carries.

His first carry went for 1 yard to the left. His second carry went for 1 yard up the middle. He then didn't gain a yard on his third carry.

When a hole opened for Scott, it closed fast. His biggest run of the half was a 5-yard scamper on a pitch to the right.

"We have to fix a couple of things up front," Scott said. "We made a couple of mistakes early in the game, but we came out and had a great second half."

Scott and an offensive line that debuted Dennis Landolt and Cadogan as starting tackles asserted themselves after halftime. Scott finished with 46 yards on 11 carries and broke a 20-yard run during a third-quarter touchdown drive that ended with Kinlaw scoring on a 15-yard run.

Kinlaw and Scott brought contrasting styles to the first-team offense. Scott ran inside. Kinlaw ran outside to gain 67 yards on eight carries. The duo helped Penn State record four second-half rushing touchdowns.

"We moved the ball at will," center A.Q. Shipley said, "and scored whenever we wanted to."

The looks provided by Florida International's defense changed after halftime. The Golden Panthers spent most of the first half blitzing and stunting, which created stacked scenarios up front.

Senior quarterback Anthony Morelli exploited Florida International's aggressive tendencies by throwing for 231 yards during the first half. No Penn State quarterback has ever thrown for more first-half yards.

Still, the Golden Panthers posed challenges for the offensive line and running backs.

"We knew coming in they were going to move a lot and that's part of the reason why we threw the ball so much," Shipley said. "They ran blitz after blitz, bringing six from one side and it's virtually impossible to pickup if you want to run the ball."

Shipley said the Golden Panthers blitzed less in the second half. Florida International's defense also started showing signs of fatigue, something produced by spending more than 35 minutes on the field.

"I think early on in the running game we did well," Florida International coach Mario Cristobal said. "I wouldn't say that we controlled the line of scrimmage, but we at least managed to prevent them from being in second-and-good situations."

Florida International's second-and-good situations decreased in the second half. Scott and Kinlaw recorded their longest runs on first downs while Royster's first career touchdown came on a first-and-goal from the 13.

Royster might have closed the gap on Penn State's top two tailbacks with a strong second half. Royster led the Nittany Lions with 70 yards on eight carries, a performance that could impress a coaching staff that placed him third on a depth chart behind Scott and Kinlaw.

"I took today as the opportunity to show them what I can do," Royster said. "If they want to use my ability in the run game more often, then so be it. If not, I respect their decision."

Kinlaw also believed he made a case for more playing time.

"Any time you get in the game and do positive things you help yourself," he said. "Of course, I think I did some things to help myself."

SteelCityMan786
09-02-2007, 09:44 PM
http://centredaily.com/sports/colleges/penn_state/story/195807.html

Penn State dominates Golden Pathers

UNIVERSITY PARK -- As the afternoon rolled on, more points piled up on Penn State's side of the scoreboard, and more minutes went by without any Florida International points, giving the impression of a quick, painless, across-the-board domination.

The Nittany Lions' first win of 2007, 59-0 over the hapless Golden Panthers (0-1) Saturday in Beaver Stadium, was painless. And, as expected, Penn State (1-0) was dominant in all three phases of the game.

Quick? Not exactly.

Eager to prove it is and will be superior to the 2006 version of itself, the Penn State offense started slowly, turning three Florida International first-quarter turnovers into just seven points. By the end of the first period, the Nittany Lions had started four of their six drives inside Panther territory, and had just 14 points -- and five yards rushing -- to show for it.

"I thought we were very, very sloppy early," said Penn State coach Joe Paterno, who picked up his 364th career victory in his return to the sideline.

Two quarters later, the Nittany Lions led 52-0.

What happened in between?

The Golden Panthers, led by first-year coach Mario Cristobal, had decided to try to take Penn State's running game away. Early on, the strategy worked -- the Nittany Lions' halftime rushing totals were 35 yards on 16 attempts -- but it also allowed Penn State receivers to trot down the field against man-to-man coverage, and spotty man-to-man coverage at that. Consequently, quarterback Anthony Morelli broke a 10-year-old team record for passing yards in a half (231), and threw for two of his three touchdowns.

"They threw some stunts and some blitzes at us, but we practiced it all week" said left guard Rich Ohrnberger. "We saw exactly what we thought we'd see. We just matched up better with the pass with what we were doing."

After a couple of halftime adjustments, Penn State's running game caught up with its aerial attack.

Tailback Austin Scott, who had scored the Nittany Lions' third touchdown on a 1-yard dive late in the second quarter, added an 8-yard scoring run with 12:14 left in the third. Rodney Kinlaw added a 15-yard touchdown run three minutes later.

Morelli, who finished 23-of-38 for 295 yards (all career bests), tossed a 1-yard touchdown to Matt Hahn with 4:34 left, and redshirt freshman Evan Royster scored from 13 yards out with four seconds left in the quarter. After FIU's Lionell Singleton fumbled away the ensuing kickoff, reserve fullback Dan Lawlor -- to the delight of Morelli, his old roommate -- bowled into the end zone five seconds into the fourth quarter to cap the scoring.

None of Penn State's five second-half scoring drives took more than five plays, a sign of both a tiring Panthers defense and an offense that has the potential to be both versatile and explosive.

"It's going to be great," said Kinlaw, who lost a fumble the first time he touched the ball Saturday but finished with 66 yards on eight carries. "We are going to have a great passing game and it's going to open up lanes for running."

Running lanes were few and far between for the Golden Panthers, who finished the game with minus-3 yards rushing on 31 attempts. That number was skewed slightly by seven Penn State sacks, which cost the Panthers 50 yards of field position, but tailbacks Julian Reams (eight carries, 11 net yards) and Daunte Owens (5-9) simply had nowhere to go against a swarming Nittany Lion attack.

Wayne Younger started at quarterback for FIU and completed 12 of his 25 pass attempts for 117 yards. Colt Anderson, who like Younger hadn't previously thrown a pass in college, was 0-for-1 in relief.

What really hurt the Panthers, who totaled just seven first downs in 57 offensive plays (Penn State had 26 in 89), was their five giveaways, all via fumbles.

"We made the typical young team errors," said Cristobal, a former assistant at Rutgers and Miami. "We gave the ball up in our own territory when we showed early that we can do some things. We need to go back and coach better and play better and make sure our young guys play like they're older guys."

Florida International put the ball on the ground four times during the first quarter, and the opportunistic Nittany Lions came up with it on three of those occasions.

"It seemed like all through preseason, we didn't have any fumbles," Penn State defensive coordinator Tom Bradley said. "We were going weeks without a fumble. We were worried if we weren't hitting hard enough."

There was no shortage of huge hits from the Penn State defense Saturday. Defensive back Knowledge Timmons leveled Singleton during a second-quarter punt return but was whistled for a penalty when the officials ruled he had gotten there before the ball. Reserve linebacker Navorro Bowman, who had big day in his Nittany Lion debut, put a huge hit on Reams in the second quarter, then forced and recovered the second of three Singleton fumbles in the third quarter.

Special teams, a concern of Paterno's heading into the season, were mostly a plus Saturday. Defensive lineman Jared Odrick blocked a field goal attempt, the Nittany Lion coverage teams forced and recovered two fumbles, new punter Jeremy Boone averaged a superb 47.4 yards on five kicks and kicker Kevin Kelly, who was 1-of-2 on field goals, was solid with his kickoffs.

"I think it was a good first game for us," Paterno said.

Much more should be learned next week, when the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame, 41-17 winners over Penn State a year ago, will visit Beaver Stadium at 6 p.m. The Nittany Lions, who now have a better idea of both their potential and what they want to fine-tune, will set to prepare for the hugely anticipated rematch.

"There's 59 points on the board," said Penn State quarterbacks coach Jay Paterno. "Whether it really means 59 points or not, those guys all feel pretty good about themselves. We'll try our best to bring them back down on Monday, and make them realize that there are a lot of things we've got to work on."

SteelCityMan786
09-02-2007, 09:47 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07245/814142-143.stm

Penn State rolls past Florida International, 59-0, in opener
Paterno back on sideline as Morelli sets three career highs
Sunday, September 02, 2007

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. -- Penn State quarterback Anthony Morelli made sure coach Joe Paterno had a triumphant return to the sideline.

Morelli completed 23 of 38 passes for 295 yards and three touchdowns -- all career highs -- as the 17th-ranked Nittany Lions shutout hapless Florida International, 59-0, yesterday in their opener at Beaver Stadium.

Paterno was injured in the Wisconsin game in November, underwent knee surgery and missed one game. He coached the win against Michigan State in the regular-season finale and the Outback Bowl victory against Tennessee from the press box.

Morelli, a senior from Penn Hills High School, threw a 4-yard touchdown pass to receiver Terrell Golden and a 17-yarder to tight end Mickey Shuler in the first half and a 1-yarder to fullback Matt Hahn in the third quarter.

The three scoring passes tied Morelli's career high set against Akron in his first start a year ago.

"Morelli played fantastic," said center A.Q. Shipley from Moon High School. "He had close to 300 yards in three quarters and he threw three touchdown passes. That's a pretty good day for anyone."

Morelli, who improved to 10-4 as the Nittany Lions' starter, passed for 231 yards in the first half. That broke Mike McQueary's school record of 219 set against Wisconsin in 1997. Morelli was sacked twice, but did not throw an interception. He was lifted in favor of backup quarterback Daryll Clark with two minutes remaining in the third quarter.

"I was real comfortable," he said. "We've been working on the passing game non-stop this off-season. That's the thing they're allowing us to do -- throw the ball around the yard."

With Penn State's running game struggling -- the Lions managed 35 yards on 16 carries in the first half -- Morelli had little choice but to throw.

Despite its reputation, Florida International did not put up much of a fight. The Golden Panthers fumbled six times, losing five, and had a punt and field goal blocked. On top of that, they were outgained, 549-114, in total yardage.

"I thought Anthony handled things very well, managed the game well," quarterbacks coach Jay Paterno said. "He threw a couple away that he would have forced last year. I thought that was a big step forward for him."

Penn State's running game finally came to life in the second half when it piled up 201 yards on 33 carries. Starting tailback Austin Scott scored two touchdowns.

Evan Royster had a team-high 70 yards and one touchdown and Rodney Kinlaw added 67 yards and a score. Backup fullback Dan Lawlor also found his way into the end zone as the Lions recorded their biggest shutout win since an 81-0 pasting of Cincinnati in 1991.

"We weren't perfect, but we got the shutout," said outside linebacker Sean Lee from Upper St. Clair High School, who led Penn State with seven tackles. He also had a sack and forced a fumble. "That's pretty special."

Morelli completed at least one pass to eight receivers. Jordan Norwood led the way with five receptions for 92 yards. Shuler had four catches, as did Derrick Williams. Kinlaw and Deon Butler had three each.

"Morelli did a great job of spreading the ball around," Williams said. "He's really improved as a quarterback since last year. I think he's going to have a terrific year."

NOTES -- There were a few changes on defense. Ollie Ogbu started at right tackle instead of Chris Baker and Maurice Evans at right end and not Aaron Maybin. On offense, Rich Ohrnberger got the start at left guard instead of Lou Eliades.

SteelCityMan786
09-02-2007, 09:48 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07245/814103-143.stm

Notebook: Penn State defense gets off to fast start
Sunday, September 02, 2007
By Ron Musselman Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. -- Penn State's defense got off to a roaring start Saturday.

The Nittany Lions turned in a dominating performance in shutting out Florida International. 59-0. at Beaver Stadium.

"I thought the defense played well pretty much the whole game," Penn State coach Joe Paterno said.

The Lions surrendered 114 yards of total offense, the third-fewest yards allowed by a Paterno-coached team.

They had seven sacks and forced five fumbles, their most turnovers since producing the same total against Michigan State in 2004.

The Golden Panthers managed minus-3 yards rushing on 31 attempts and were limited to just seven first downs.

"We got to the ball and tackled pretty well today," defensive coordinator Tom Bradley said. "When you play defense, you only worry about a couple of things -- did you win the game, did you keep them out of the red zone, and did you create turnovers? We did all three today.

"It's always great to see that zero on the scoreboard. I didn't expect it because in the opening game a million things can happen. There are a whole bunch of things we need to work on. They are not na?ve enough to think that just because you pitch a shutout in the opener that they are not capable of playing better."

New faces

Six players started their first games for Penn State.

They include receiver Chris Bell and right tackle Dennis Landolt on offense and end Maurice Evans, tackles Jared Odrick and Ollie Ogbu and cornerback Lydell Sargeant on defense.

Sargeant had five tackles, tying him with middle linebacker Dan Connor for the second-most on the team behind outside linebacker Sean Lee.

Odrick blocked a 29-yard field-goal attempt by FIU's Dustin Rivest late in the second quarter, redeeming himself from an earlier mistake. Five plays earlier, Odrick was flagged for roughing quarterback Wayne Younger to keep the drive alive. He also added three tackles and a sack.

Short snaps

The Nittany Lions have won four consecutive games and 23 of their p ast 28 overall. … The shutout was Penn State's 38th under Paterno. … The Lions' previous shutout in an opener was in 1981 when they blankeds Cincinnati, 52-0. … Terrell Golden's first-quarter touchdown reception was the third of his career, while Mickey Shuler's 17-yarder was his first. His father, Mickey, caught his last Penn State touchdown pass vs. West Virginia Oct. 22, 1977. … Paterno welcomed his 16th grandchild Thursday. Kelley Paterno, wife of Jay, Penn State's quarterbacks coach, had a baby girl Virginia Suzanne.

SteelCityMan786
09-03-2007, 12:03 PM
FOR ALL WHO ARE ATTENDING SATURDAY'S PENN STATE/NOTRE DAME GAME!

http://gopsusports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/090107aag.html

All-Stadium White Out Declared; Pep Rally Set for Friday

Nittany Lions Host Notre Dame Saturday For Primetime Contest on ESPN

Sept. 2, 2007

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa.; September 2, 2007 - The large and loud Penn State student section has delivered on several Beaver Stadium white outs over the past three years, earning notice across the nation for their enthusiasm and solidarity.

For the first time, all Nittany Lion fans are being asked to wear white for the highly-anticipated clash with Notre Dame on Saturday. Kickoff is at 6:00 p.m. in Beaver Stadium and ESPN will televise the sold out contest to a national audience.

The more than 107,000 tickets for the game were printed in white. More than 50,000 white shakers, courtesy of PHEAA, will be distributed for the all stadium white out.

On Friday, the Blue & White Society and Penn State Intercollegiate Athletics are teaming up to host a "Rally in the Valley" football pep rally at 8 p.m. in Rec Hall.

Head coach Joe Paterno, the Nittany Lion football team, the Penn State cheerleaders, Lionettes dance team, the Blue Band, and the Nittany Lion mascot will all participate in the pep rally and help ready students, alumni and friends for the next day's football game.

T-shirts and prizes will be given away at the pep rally courtesy of the Penn State Bookstore and Penn State Intercollegiate Athletics. The Bus (93.7 FM) radio station is the media sponsor for Rally in the Valley.

The Penn State faithful will be pumped up and primed at the "Rally in the Valley" in anticipation of the widely anticipated and sold out Penn State-Notre Dame clash in Beaver Stadium. The Nittany Lions will be facing the Fighting Irish in a primetime contest that will be televised to a national audience by ESPN. The Penn State Sports Network will broadcast the game, which can also be heard at www.GoPSUsports.com, the official website of Penn State Athletics.

Notre Dame will be making its first visit to Happy Valley since 1991. The Irish took a 9-8-1 series lead by winning in South Bend last season.

Penn State and Notre Dame rank among the Top 10 teams in the nation in victories. The Nittany Lions have 781, good for a tie for sixth place with Alabama, and the Irish are second with 820.

A trio of Penn State teams will be competing at home Friday prior to the pep rally. At 6:00 p.m., the women's volleyball team will host St. John's in Rec Hall, with the pep rally to follow. The men's soccer team has its home opener, facing William & Mary at 5:30 p.m. and the field hockey team will host James Madison at 6:00 p.m.

Coach Joe Paterno began his 42nd season as head coach of the Nittany Lions Saturday, as No. 17 Penn State defeated Florida International, 59-0, in Beaver Stadium for its 100th victory in a season opener. The Lions are 100-19-2 in openers overall; 35-7 under Paterno. Penn State has posted shutouts in three of its last six games and 38 times overall under Paterno.

The Blue & White Society is the student membership of the Penn State Alumni Association. For more information about the pep rally, contact the Blue & White Society at 814-863-GOBW (4629), the Penn State Alumni Association at 814-865-6516 or Penn State Athletic Communications at 814-865-1757.

SteelCityMan786
09-03-2007, 12:04 PM
http://gopsusports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/090307aac.html

Lee Selected Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week

Made Seven Solo Tackles and Forced a Fumble in Shut Out Of FIU

Sept. 3, 2007

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. - For the second consecutive year, "Linebacker U" has earned the first Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week honor of the season.

Junior linebacker Sean Lee (Pittsburgh) led the way in Penn State's stellar defensive effort against Florida International and has earned his first conference Defensive Player of the Week honor. Lee and the Nittany Lions posted their third shutout in the last six games with the 59-0 win in Saturday's season opener. Penn State limited the Golden Panthers to seven first downs, minus-three yards rushing and 114 total yards, tied for third-lowest by an opponent in the Joe Paterno era.

Lee led the Nittany Lions with seven solo tackles, including two tackles for losses, a sack, a forced fumble and a pass break-up against FIU. He forced a fumble that was recovered by DT Phil Taylor (Clinton, Md.) at the FIU 34 yard-line in the first quarter.

Lee becomes the third different Nittany Lion linebacker to be honored by the conference the past two seasons. Last year, 2007 tri-captain and All-American Dan Connor was honored twice, for the season opener against Akron and in the shut out win over Purdue. Two-time All-American Paul Posluszny was honored by the Big Ten once last season, three times in 2005 and once in 2004, giving him five conference Player of the Week honors, the most of any defensive player since selections began in 1987.

The former Upper St. Clair High School standout is in his second year as a starting OLB for the Lions. Last year, he was third on the squad with 90 tackles (47 solo), with 8.0 TFL (minus-51), 5.5 sacks (minus-46), two forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries and two pass break-ups. Lee forced the fumble that safety Tony Davis returned 88 yards for the eventual game winning score against Tennessee in the 2007 Outback Bowl.

A finance major, Lee will be a strong candidate for ESPN The Magazine Academic All-America honors after earning Academic All-Big Ten accolades in 2006.

Coach Joe Paterno's No. 17 Nittany Lions host Notre Dame on Saturday at 6:00 p.m. An all-stadium White Out has been declared for the first time and the team will have a pep rally on Friday at 8:00 p.m. in Rec Hall. The Fighting Irish's first visit to Happy Valley since 1991 will air on ESPN, the Penn State Sports Network and www.GoPSUsports.com the official website of Penn State Athletics.

rog
09-03-2007, 12:19 PM
It is going to be awsome watching the Lions whoop the Irish this week. Wonder who Charlie genius is going to start at QB not that it matters though they are all probable going to play again just like last week.

SteelCityMan786
09-03-2007, 10:04 PM
http://post-gazette.com/pg/07246/814299-143.stm

Nittany Lions: Stadium heroes to stadium sweepers
Joe Paterno sends his team back on the field -- to clean up
Monday, September 03, 2007

UNIVERSITY PARK -- At 9:20 yesterday morning, the large steel gate located behind the south end zone at Beaver Stadium swung wide open.

Penn State coach Joe Paterno slowly guided his silver BMW inside.

His entire football team, about 110 players, had already been hard at work for nearly 90 minutes before Mr. Paterno made his surprise visit and huddled them together.

It was no regular workout.

The players had been forced to trade in their cleats, helmets and shoulder pads for brooms, shovels and yellow gloves.

Mr. Paterno, upset that several of his players were involved in an off-campus fight on April 1, decided in May to punish the entire team, ordering them to clean up the stadium after all seven home games this season.

Yesterday, Penn State's cleanup crew made its debut, less than 17 hours after they had pasted Florida International 59-0 in their non-conference season opener.

The players, some of them looking very groggy, arrived at the stadium in four blue university buses at 7:52 a.m.

Quarterback Anthony Morelli from Penn Hills High School was the first player off the bus. The senior tri-captain led the Nittany Lions into the stadium. Bob Hudzik, the supervisor of athletic fields, met the team there.

Accompanying the players on this cool morning were Tom Venturino, director of football operations; Kermit Buggs, coordinator of player personnel and development; and Larry Johnson, defensive line coach.

Although Saturday's game at Beaver Stadium packed in 107,678 fans, yesterday's much-publicized punishment drew only a handful of spectators.

Penn State officials barred the news media from the stadium.

Mr. Paterno, 80, was asked on Saturday if he planned to be part of the garbage detail.

"I don't want to make this a circus," he said at the time. "They are going to go out and they'll be here and they'll clean up a section and they'll do it. But for me to go out there and take a broom, you know, pictures will be all over and you won't even know the kids did it.

"It'll be Paterno, back to where he should be, sweeping."

Yesterday, Penn State players could be seen through the gate, scooping up wrappers and stuffing garbage bags.

According to Penn State spokesman Jeff Nelson, the players picked up trash in eight sections in the south end of the stadium and around the perimeter of the field. There are 92 sections in the stadium.

Mr. Nelson said the money the football team earned yesterday -- he did not specify how much -- would go toward helping fund Penn State's club sports.

That was an added bonus for those teams, which normally clean the stadium. Yesterday, the men's and women's varsity fencing teams, the power-lifting club, the crew team and dance team joined the higher profile football players in the cleanup.

The April melee and the subsequent fallout from the incident are sore spots with Mr. Paterno. Starting safety Anthony Scirrotto and backup defensive tackle Chris Baker still face charges in the case.

After Mr. Paterno talked to his team, most of the players headed for the buses.

But then linebacker Sean Lee came back out and delivered some bad news.

"Joe said we didn't do a good enough job," the Upper St. Clair High School product said. "We've got to go back."

The players quickly shuffled off the buses and returned to the stadium to finish up their chores. Mr. Paterno dismissed them about 15 minutes later.

The first cleanup assignment was complete, even if the stadium wasn't spotless.

First down and six to go.

SteelCityMan786
09-04-2007, 06:18 PM
http://centredaily.com/news/local/story/197151.html

Paterno, two short of Bowden's win mark, looks to ND; Lions climb to 14

Penn State Coach Joe Paterno, now just two victories short of Bobby Bowden's record, talks about Notre Dame today and offers updates in his weekly press conference.

Florida State lost Monday night, keeping Bowden's total at 366 wins. Paterno added one to bring his mark to 364 wins.

Our new poll today asks whether he'll tie or overtake Bowden this year. Join the voting.

Football beat writer Jeff Rice reports on the press conference in his blog, Nitt Notes. Will TE Quarless play? Find out.

Meanwhile, in the Associated Press poll, the Nittany Lions climbed three spots to No. 14.

Michigan, losers to Appalachian State, tumbled from No. 5 to out of the top 25.

The top five: USC, LSU, West Virginia, Florida and Wisconsin.

SteelCityMan786
09-05-2007, 10:07 PM
http://altoonamirror.com/page/content.detail/id/14920.html?nav=746

Paterno seems to be only one who’s worried
By Cory Giger

UNIVERSITY PARK — Notre Dame has been playing football for 120 years, and through all its tradition, never before had it been walloped in a season opener as badly as it was Saturday.

That’s not good news, Joe Paterno says, for Penn State.

‘‘The worst thing that could have happened to us was their getting licked last week,’’ Paterno said of Georgia Tech’s 33-3 trouncing.

The Fighting Irish players, Paterno predicts, are ‘‘not going to come in here with their tails dragging. They’re going to come in here with fire in their eyes.’’

That may be true, but they’re also coming into Beaver Stadium with a true freshman at quarterback and a 17-point underdog against the No. 14 Nittany Lions. Oh, and Penn State’s players can’t wait to get payback for last year’s 41-17 thumping in South Bend.

Every intangible, it seems, favors the Lions, including the electric atmosphere building on campus. Notre Dame hasn’t visited Penn State since 1991, and from Paternoville to the all-stadium white-out planned, the Lion faithful are geared up for Saturday’s 6 p.m. game.

‘‘The buzz around campus, you can tell everyone’s excited,’’ center A.Q. Shipley said.

Everyone, perhaps, except Paterno.

‘‘The only thing that bothers me right now going into this football game is people don’t realize how good Notre Dame is,’’ he said. ‘‘That [33-3] score is not anywhere indicative of what happened.’’

Paterno commended Georgia Tech for playing ‘‘a super football game’’ that included few penalties, good field position and no turnovers. He also said Notre Dame ‘‘hung in there tough’’ despite getting no breaks, which seemed to be the case since it was only 19-3 after three quarters.

The Irish, though, did close to nothing on offense. They were held to minus-8 yards rushing and just 122 yards of total offense.

‘‘Only scoring three points doesn’t mean they’re a bad team,’’ PSU linebacker Tyrell Sales said. ‘‘The same thing happened to us out there last year, and we were a lot better than we showed that Saturday.

‘‘Score doesn’t always represent the talent of a team. I was surprised, but it doesn’t really go much further than that day.’’

SUBHD: Clausen gets start

Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis announced Tuesday he’ll go with heralded true freshman Jimmy Clausen at quarterback after rotating three players against Georgia Tech.

Clausen, considered by many to be the nation’s top recruit last year, was 4-of-6 for 34 yards in his debut.

‘‘I think he gives us the best chance of winning,’’ Weis said.

Clausen had offseason surgery to remove a bone spur from his elbow, which set him back a bit in the preseason.

‘‘I think he’s ready to run the offense,’’ Weis said. ‘‘He was always ready mentally, but his arm wasn’t full go until last week.’’

Clausen has the tough tasks of trying to solve Penn State’s strong defense while battling the hostile environment at Beaver Stadium.

‘‘As a freshman, any time you come to a place like Penn State it’s going to be a challenge for you,’’ Sales said.

The defense, Sales added, has ‘‘a lot of things you can do’’ to throw off a freshman quarterback.

‘‘You can just keep him guessing, basically,’’ Sales said. ‘‘It’s going to be his first time in a big game, big atmosphere.’’

Still no Quarless

Asked if tight end Andrew Quarless will play this week, Paterno said, ‘‘I doubt it.’’ Quarless was suspended indefinitely after a recent underage drinking citation.

Even when Quarless is cleared to play, Paterno said he’ll have to win his job back. Mickey Shuler started against Florida International, scored a touchdown on his first college reception and caught three more passes.

News and notes

Penn State moved up three spots to No. 14 in the AP Top 25 and also three spots to No. 15 in the USA Today coaches poll. ... ESPN talk show host Colin Cowherd will broadcast from the HUB at Penn State on Friday morning. Cowherd traditionally has been critical of the Lions but joked on the air Tuesday he expects a warm welcome. ‘‘I am beloved on that campus, absolutely beloved,’’ he said. Cowherd also said: ‘‘Notre Dame’s going to get whacked by Penn State. ... Morelli for the Heisman.’’

Steelers#1
09-05-2007, 10:11 PM
PSU will kick the Notre Damsels butts! First post-don't want to be a di*k.

SteelCityMan786
09-06-2007, 06:12 AM
PSU will kick the Notre Damsels butts! First post-don't want to be a di*k.

I was walking around the SBS in State College the other day and I happen to see a shirt that said

I DON'T GIVE A NOTRE DAMN!

Buzz05
09-06-2007, 07:35 AM
I am a little irked by the fact that college game day was supposed to come to the Valley this weekend but dumped it in favor of LSU-Tech...that game will be a bigger blow out then PSU-ND. ESPN will be kicking themselves for not showcasing the best student section in the nation....this Saturday...the first ever WHITE HOUSE!

SteelCityMan786
09-06-2007, 04:49 PM
I am a little irked by the fact that college game day was supposed to come to the Valley this weekend but dumped it in favor of LSU-Tech...that game will be a bigger blow out then PSU-ND. ESPN will be kicking themselves for not showcasing the best student section in the nation....this Saturday...the first ever WHITE HOUSE!

They will be. I will also be pointing and laughing at them.

SteelCityMan786
09-06-2007, 05:44 PM
http://gopsusports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/090507aaf.html

Paternoville Rapidly Growing in Anticipation of Clash With Notre Dame

All-Stadium White Out Declared for 6 p.m. Contest on ESPN

Sept. 5, 2007

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa.; Sept. 5, 2007 -- They're back, and they're organized. Paternoville 2K7 is as enthusiastic and devoted a community as its past iterations, but this year the students have taken it upon themselves to make some organizational improvements.

Tents began springing up outside Beaver Stadium Gate A early Tuesday morning in anticipation of Saturday's clash with Notre Dame. An all-stadium White Out has been declared for the 6:00 p.m. contest that will air on ESPN, the Penn State Sports Network and www.GoPSUsports.com, the official website of Penn State Athletics.

As of late this afternoon, 76 tents had been erected in Paternoville, 72 hours before kickoff.

"We try to keep the basic structure of Paternoville so that it's not a chaotic mess like it was last year," said sophomore Tom Boroch, president of the Paternoville Coordination Committee (PCC) that was formed last spring. "This year we have the tents set up in rows, so that in between them there's about a five-foot space for a walkway, or where people can put their chairs up to have a little common area."

The PCC acts as Paternoville's official liaison to the University. "We do not want to take anything away from Paternoville, because it's great for what it is," said Boroch. "We don't want to be known as controlling Paternoville. We just want to represent Paternoville to the University. We're just trying to be in the background, in the shadows, and if an issue arises, we're there to deal with it."

So far, Paternoville residents seem to like the changes.

"It's the best. You can't really beat it. There's nothing better than being here, hanging out with everyone you know. Everyone here loves Penn State football," said camper Matt Smith, a sophomore business major.

"We've been looking forward to it all year long. We organized it over the summer, who was doing what, who's taking what shifts. We're actually more organized this year than last year because now we know what to expect," added sophomore George Trent.a

All of the groups seem to be well organized, and at least one has a schedule posted so they can make sure there always is someone at the tent (a Paternoville requirement), and that everyone can attend their classes.

The primary reason students camp out at Paternoville is to get front-row seats for their groups at the games. Last year, that got a bit chaotic, and although students were near the front of the Paternoville campground, they weren't sure where their seats would be because they didn't know who else was trying for seats in the same section.

This year, the PCC has a white board set up. As campers arrive at Paternoville, they sign up on the white board for the section they want, and then set up their tent in the row for that particular section.

"It's really helpful, because it allows people not to worry and stress too much about where their seats might be," Boroch said.

"You've got your entire row going back, so you know who's in front of you and who's behind you," added Smith, a member of Morelli's Mafia, in honor of senior quarterback Anthony Morelli. Smith likes the new system with the white board, because he already knows where his group will be on Saturday. "We should be in the first row. Usually we've been in the second or third row, and we were in the 17th row for the Michigan game. This week, there's only one group in front of us in line and they only have three people, so we know we're going to be in the front row."

Rules established by the University last spring allow Paternoville to form at 12:01 a.m. Thursday before each home game, but the University made an exception for the Notre Dame game, and the PCC announced via its home page at http://www.clubs.psu.edu/up/paternoville/index.html online that campers could set up their tents early. Die-hard residents of Paternoville arrived late in the evening on Monday, and at 12:01 a.m. Tuesday the first tents were erected. There were 24 tents up by 1:15 a.m. Tuesday and 55 by 11:00 p.m.

Paternoville residents are eager to prove to the University that the decision to extend the campout was a sound one. "We got to camp out early, so we're trying to give it back to the school; keep everybody sane," said Smith.

Coach Joe Paterno and the No. 14 Nittany Lions will participate in Friday's "Rally In The Valley" at 8:00 p.m, in Rec Hall, immediately following the Penn State-St. John's women's volleyball match, which begins at 6:00.

delhess
09-08-2007, 09:50 PM
just finished watching the notre dame game on espn(nd network) and who else is sick to the stomach w/ watching clips of rookie quarterbacks getting out of hummer limos, and being compared to tiger woods. it is repulsive. this was a statement game for psu and the deserve all the credit. why are we watching a ND infomercial while our team is kicking their ass????

oh well, the important thing is we won i guess. go penn state

lilyoder6
09-08-2007, 10:06 PM
it was a good game.. dereck williams is just insane

SteelCityMan786
09-08-2007, 10:13 PM
This was absolutely THE BEST game I have ever attended. I could not have been any more proud of this team and how they kept on fighting. Things could have gone somewhat better, but hey. I'll take a 21 point win.

SteelCityMan786
09-08-2007, 10:15 PM
it was a good game.. dereck williams is just insane

That's for sure, the WHOLE STADIUM errupted when he scored that punt return. It was nuts.

pittsburghp8baller
09-08-2007, 10:23 PM
i didnt watch the whole game but it didnt look like clausen had that bad of the game. he made good decisions from what i saw. what was his final stats?

SteelCityMan786
09-08-2007, 10:40 PM
i didnt watch the whole game but it didnt look like clausen had that bad of the game. he made good decisions from what i saw. what was his final stats?

you must have seen the 4th Quarter. Penn State chewed him up all day.

17/32 144 yds. 1 INT

He was getting the heck beat out of him

Buzz05
09-10-2007, 01:38 PM
you must have seen the 4th Quarter. Penn State chewed him up all day.

17/32 144 yds. 1 INT

He was getting the heck beat out of him

For a freshman he had about the same numbers as Morelli...our Sr. I was not impressed with him on Saturday. It seemed like he took a step back. He better step it when the Big 10 schedule starts in 2 weeks at Michigan

SteelCityMan786
09-11-2007, 06:20 AM
For a freshman he had about the same numbers as Morelli...our Sr. I was not impressed with him on Saturday. It seemed like he took a step back. He better step it when the Big 10 schedule starts in 2 weeks at Michigan

One more non-conference game to go.

rbryan
09-11-2007, 02:16 PM
just finished watching the notre dame game on espn(nd network) and who else is sick to the stomach w/ watching clips of rookie quarterbacks getting out of hummer limos, and being compared to tiger woods. it is repulsive. this was a statement game for psu and the deserve all the credit. why are we watching a ND infomercial while our team is kicking their ass????

oh well, the important thing is we won i guess. go penn state

The best is yet to come from the scumbags at ESPN, now they're carrying HS football games. Never too early to exploit the next generation of "superstars". ESPN has every angle covered, I'll give them that. They are no more than an extension of the PR firm of a handfull of "super agents" they are in bed with. All about the $. They've been carrying HS basketball for a while now. No surprise they've graduated to HS football.

Buzz05
09-12-2007, 07:44 AM
What annoys me most is the fact they are carrying ND-Michigan this week...both 0-2...both SUCK. Why cant they give a more deserving team some TV...a smaller school that would love to show the country what they got. Just because its ND-Michigan doesnt mean its going to be a good game. For all I care they could show Appalachian State against a high school team and I would be happier then ND-Michigan...give some D-1AA or a D-2 school some TV time and not jam this crap down our throats every 10 seconds.

SteelCityMan786
09-12-2007, 08:51 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07252/816005-143.stm

Lions get revenge, roar past Irish, 31-10
Sunday, September 09, 2007

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. -- Penn State started slow against Notre Dame last night, but finished strong.

The payback was perfect.

Austin Scott ran for 116 yards on 28 carries and scored two touchdowns and Derrick Williams returned a punt 78 yards for another score as the 14th-ranked Nittany Lions pounded the Fighting Irish, 31-10, at Beaver Stadium.

Penn State, which sacked heralded freshman quarterback Jimmy Clausen six times and held the Fighting Irish's offense to 0 yards on 26 rushing attempts, earned a share of revenge for an embarrassing, 24-point loss at Notre Dame last year.

"For a lot of guys, this erases our performance of last year," receiver Jordan Norwood said. "I know it does for me."

Penn State improved to 2-0, while the Irish fell to 0-2. Notre Dame managed 144 yards offense in Clausen's first start. The Irish have not scored an offensive touchdown this season.

Meanwhile, Penn State's defense was rock-solid again. And the Nittany Lions benefited from solid special teams play.

The Lions finished with 295 yards offense. They had 164 on the ground, including 112 in the second half when Scott scored on runs of 1 and 5 yards.

Scott, a fifth-year senior, finished with the fourth 100-yard game of his career, but his first in 20 months. He gained 50 of the 62 yards on eight carries on the Lions' final scoring drive in the fourth quarter.

"We came out in the second half and the offensive line started opening holes, and we were running through them," Scott said. "Our defense did such a great job of stopping Notre Dame and getting the ball back for us, it made it pretty easy. I felt like I could have run for a lot more yards."

Notre Dame's Nate Whitaker missed a 50-yard field-goal attempt on the Irish's first possession.

Four plays later, Penn State quarterback Anthony Morelli from Penn Hills High School tossed his first interception of the season.

His pass was intended for Williams down the right sideline. But Notre Dame cornerback Darrin Walls from Woodland Hills picked off the errant throw and returned his first interception 73 yards for a touchdown, giving Notre Dame an early, 7-0 lead.

Scott fumbled the next time the Lions touched the ball, but Notre Dame could not capitalize.

Penn State tied the score, 7-7, on Williams' second career punt return for a touchdown with 52 seconds left in the first quarter.

Williams bobbled Geoff Price's 46-yard punt. But he quickly regained possession, broke Terrail Lambert's tackle and cut back across the field. Williams juked Tom Zbikowski for the second time near the Notre Dame 20 before sprinting into the end zone.

"I was looking to give us a spark, and the blocking was great," Williams said.

Morelli, who completed 12 of 22 passes for 131 yards, atoned for his interception in the second quarter by hitting Norwood with a 10-yard touchdown strike on a quick slant pattern that put Penn State ahead for good, 14-7.

Morelli also lost a fumble in the second quarter and was sacked twice.

"I think Anthony's got an awful lot of pressure on him," said Penn State coach Joe Paterno, who improved to 9-6 all time against the Irish. "He made a few mistakes, but I think he made some real big-league throws."

A.J. Wallace's 68-yard kickoff return to start the third quarter set up Kevin Kelly's 37-yard field goal, giving the Lions a 17-7 lead.

Scott and the running game took over from there. He and Morelli have accounted for four touchdowns apiece in the first two games.

"Austin's a good, solid back," Paterno said. "He's learned to wait for the openings and then accelerate. He's big and strong. He'll get better as he goes on, but he needs to stay healthy."

Penn State's offense was 4 of 4 in the red zone against the Irish and is 13 of 13 overall. producing 11 touchdowns and two field goals.

"Our offense hasn't been as good as our defense, but it's been doing OK," Norwood said. "We are doing a good job of punching the ball in the end zone."

NOTES -- Receiver Chris Bell's 51-yard reception in the third quarter was the longest of his career. ... Scott set a career high in carries and tied his career high for yardage. ... The crowd of 110,078 was the second largest in Beaver Stadium history. ... Jeremy Boone averaged 43.2 yards on six punts. ... Middle linebacker Dan Connor led the Lions in tackles with 12. He also had a sack.

"Our defense did such a great job of stopping Notre Dame and getting the ball back for us, it made it pretty easy. I felt like I could have run for a lot more yards."

-- Austin Scott

Buzz05
09-13-2007, 07:29 AM
Im going to make a bold prediction....IF the Nits can get past Michigan in week 4...they will be contending for the Big 10 title at the end. I say if for a few reason

1) Michigan has been our daddies the past few eyars
2) Its in the Big House
3) If ( sorry WHEN) Michigan beats Notre Dame this weekend it could put them on a roll throught for the Big 10 Schedule.
4) If we win, the monkey will be off of our back and should be able to roll a Wisconsin and Ohio State team at home.
5) Wisonsin and Ohio State doesnt look that good.

...But a lot can change between now and those games.

I know its early...but A LOT will be riding on the game in Ann Arbor come September 22...you might want to hold on to something...its going to be a doozey!

SteelCityMan786
09-15-2007, 11:41 AM
Awful First Quarter today against Buffalo.

SteelCityMan786
09-15-2007, 11:58 AM

Penn State 3, Buffalo 3

SteelCityMan786
09-15-2007, 12:01 PM
Defense has been great but the offense needs to get their heads out of there ass.

SteelCityMan786
09-15-2007, 12:04 PM
COME ON DEFENSE! CONTAIN!

SteelCityMan786
09-15-2007, 12:16 PM
Got to catch easy footballs.

SteelCityMan786
09-15-2007, 12:18 PM
TOUCHDOWN ANDREW QUARLESS

KELLY'S KICK IS GOOD
Penn State 10, Buffalo 3

SteelCityMan786
09-15-2007, 12:24 PM
Good Job. A TURNOVER!

SteelCityMan786
09-15-2007, 12:29 PM
TOUCHDOWN JORDAN NORWOOD

KELLY'S KICK IS GOOD
Penn State 17, Buffalo 3

SteelCityMan786
09-15-2007, 01:01 PM
TOUCHDOWN TERREL GOLDEN

KELLY'S KICK IS GOOD
Penn State 24, Buffalo 3

SteelCityMan786
09-15-2007, 01:24 PM
TOUCHDOWN ANDREW QUARLESS

KELLY'S KICK IS GOOD
Penn State 31, Buffalo 3

SteelCityMan786
09-15-2007, 01:42 PM
Damn it, Buffalo just scored 6

31-10 Penn State

SteelCityMan786
09-15-2007, 01:53 PM
TOUCHDOWN RODNEY KINLAW

KELLY'S KICK IS GOOD
Penn State 38, Buffalo 10

Side Note:Kinlaw is running for more then 100 yards for the first time in his PSU carrier today.

SteelCityMan786
09-16-2007, 10:11 PM
http://gopsusports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/recaps/091507aaa.html

Nittany Lions Take the Bulls by the Horns, 45-24

Morelli (4 TD passes) and Kinlaw (129 rushing yards) lead offense

Sept. 15, 2007

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. - Another solid defensive performance and a career day for fifth-year senior Rodney Kinlaw (Goose Creek, S.C.) led No. 12 Penn State to a 45-24 victory over the Buffalo Bulls at Beaver Stadium today in front of a sellout crowd of 107,506.

Kinlaw had a career-high 129 yards rushing on a career-best 23 carries for his first career 100-yard rushing game.

Senior quarterback Anthony Morelli (Pittsburgh) also turned in a strong performance, going 20-for-27 for 202 yards and a career-high four touchdowns passes. He is the first Penn State quarterback to throw for four touchdowns in a game since Michael Robinson had four TD passes against Illinois in 2005. Morelli's previous career high was three TD passes against Akron in 2006 and Florida International two weeks ago.

Sophomore tight end Andrew Quarless (Uniondale, N.Y.) was on the receiving end of two of Morelli's touchdown passes. Quarless has four touchdown catches in the last three games he has played in (Temple and Tennessee in 2006). Also on the receiving end, Deon Butler (Woodbridge, Va.) made five catches for 72 yards and moved into a tie for eighth place with 94 career receptions.

After forcing a three-and-out on Buffalo's second drive of the game, the Nittany Lions started inside their own 10-yard line for the second consecutive drive. On the first play of the drive, senior Austin Scott (Allentown) fumbled the ball on the Penn State 8-yard line and the Bulls recovered the ball in prime scoring position with 8:15 remaining in the first quarter.

After an incompletion and a run for no gain, Buffalo faced third-and-goal from the 8-yard line. Drew Willy threw a screen pass to running back Mario Henry, who had a wide-open shot at the endzone before junior linebacker Sean Lee (Pittsburgh) tackled him to the ground at the 2-yard line for his fifth tackle in the first nine minutes of the game. The stop forced Buffalo to kick a 19-yard field goal, which P.J. Principe knocked through the uprights to give the Bulls the early 3-0 lead.

Following a 26-yard return by A.J. Wallace (Waldorf, Md.) on the ensuing kickoff, the Nittany Lions were halted again when Scott fumbled for the second time and UB's Adekun Akingba recovered at the Buffalo 48-yard line.

After an exchange of possessions, Penn State started its next drive with great field position on the Buffalo 39-yard line. Morelli completed two passes for 18 yards and Kinlaw rushed for nine yards on the drive before having to bring in junior kicker Kevin Kelly (Langhorne) for a 27-yard field goal to tie the game at 3-3 with 6:29 remaining in the half. The field goal was the 41st of his career, moving into fourth place on the Penn State all-time list.

The Nittany Lions found their offensive groove on their next possession, taking the ball down field 67 yards in just 2:27. Kinlaw ran for 26 yards and Morelli threw for 41 yards on the drive, including a 21-yard touchdown catch by Quarless, his first TD grab of the season, for a 10-3 lead.

On the ensuing Buffalo possession, Terrell Jackson caught a pass, but was met by safety Tony Davis (Warren, Ohio) who knocked the ball out of Jackson's hand and into the arms of safety Anthony Scirrotto (West Deptford, N.J.), who returned it 10 yards to the Buffalo 18, with 2:05 to play in the half. After gaining 13 yards on three plays, Morelli looked for the end zone and junior Jordan Norwood (State College) tipped the ball up and made a spectacular catch on his back for the touchdown and a 17-3 Penn State lead.

The Bulls moved the ball downfield and with just under a minute to play and lined up for a 49-yard field goal attempt, but Principe's was short and the teams went into the locker room with Penn State leading, 17-3.

Penn State kept the momentum with a 51-yard return by Wallace on the opening kick of the second half. Kinlaw ripped off a 10-yard run, followed by a 9-yard reception by Matt Hahn (Dix Hills, N.Y.). The Nittany Lions capped the drive with a 27-yard touchdown pass from Morelli to Terrell Golden (Norfolk, Va.), his second touchdown of the season, to extend the lead to 24-3.

The Bulls moved into Penn State territory, but on fourth-and-nine play, Dan Connor (Wallingford) sacked Drew Willy for a 6-yard loss. Following a pair of Scott rushes for 12 yards, Morelli connected with Butler for a 45-yard gain to the Buffalo 5. Morelli hit Quarless in the end zone from four yards out to make it a 31-3 game. Morelli's four touchdown tosses in the contest were a career high.

Scirrotto grabbed his first interception of the season, and the eighth of his career, and returned it 47 yards. But, the turnover did not produce any points as Kelly's 47-yard field goal attempt sailed wide left.

The Bulls put together a 13-play, 70-yard drive that was capped by a 5-yard touchdown run by James Starks to make it 31-10 early in the fourth quarter. It was the first touchdown allowed by the Penn State defense in 2007 and the first offensive TD by an opponent since the second quarter of the Outback Bowl.

Kinlaw topped off his career day with a 6-yard touchdown run to move the Nittany Lions' lead back to 28 points, 38-10, at the 8:07 mark. The Bulls countered on their next drive with 9-yard TD catch by Ernest Jackson from running back Henry to climb within 21 points, 38-17, with 6:44 on the clock.

Scott recorded his fifth touchdown run of the season, from 40 yards out, to extend the Penn State lead to 45-17 with 4:02 remaining in the game. The Bulls reached the end zone again on a Willy pass to LaRon Haymore in the final half minute to make the final margin, 45-24. Willy had a career-high 330 passing yards with one touchdown and one interception.

The Nittany Lions limited Buffalo to 56 rushing yards on 35 attempts and through three games, have allowed a total of 53 rushing yards on 92 carries.

Connor and Lee recorded a game-high 12 tackles each, with a tackle for loss. Junior linebacker Tyrell Sales (Butler, Pa.) made five stops and Davis had five hits and forced a fumble.

The Nittany Lions (3-0) hit the road for the first time this season as they travel to Ann Arbor to face Michigan next Saturday at 3:30 p.m. Penn State will be opening its 15th season of Big Ten competition. The game can be seen nationally on ABC, except in Ohio and Chicago, where it will air on ESPN.

SteelCityMan786
09-16-2007, 10:12 PM
http://gopsusports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/091607aaa.html

Students Can Purchase Michigan Tickets Tuesday at Jordan Center

First-come, first-served sale to begin at 7 a.m. for students buying tickets for game at Michigan.

The Nittany Nation will have its shot at tickets for the game at Michigan.

Sept. 16, 2007

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. - Penn State students wanting to travel to Ann Arbor for Saturday's game against Michigan can purchase a ticket at Gate B (northeast corner) of the Bryce Jordan Center beginning Tuesday at 7 a.m.

Two hundred tickets will be made available on a first-come, first served basis. Each student will be permitted to purchase one $55 ticket and must present a valid Penn State student identification card to secure a ticket. All sales of all tickets will be done on a cash only basis. Credit cards and checks will not be accepted.

Students wanting to purchase tickets so that they may sit together at the game will need to make their ticket purchase together at Gate B of the BJC Tuesday morning.

In the event that a line forms prior to the tickets going on sale, only the first 200 students will be permitted to stay in line and buy a ticket when the sale begins.

Student tickets for remaining Penn State football road games will be sold on the Tuesday prior to each of those dates at the Bryce Jordan Center main box office beginning at 7 a.m.

The Nittany Lions and Wolverines meet at 3:30 p.m. on Saturday.

SteelCityMan786
09-16-2007, 10:13 PM
Those tickets will sell VERY FAST. I wonder who will be saying to their parents I will be in Ann Arbor this weekend.

Buzz05
09-17-2007, 07:12 AM
Those tickets will sell VERY FAST. I wonder who will be saying to their parents I will be in Ann Arbor this weekend.

Wish i could be...

I do have a question though, Since I dont get the Big 10 Network (SHOCKER!) can you tell me....

HOW IN THE HELL DID WE GIVE UP 24 PTS TO BUFFALO?!?

-Were they that good?
-Were we that bad?
-Scrub time?
- Fluke?

I would just like to know because I was a little embarrassed to see we gave up 24 pts...TO BUFFALO

steelpinstripe72
09-17-2007, 12:46 PM
Wish i could be...

I do have a question though, Since I dont get the Big 10 Network (SHOCKER!) can you tell me....

HOW IN THE HELL DID WE GIVE UP 24 PTS TO BUFFALO?!?

-Were they that good?
-Were we that bad?
-Scrub time?
- Fluke?

I would just like to know because I was a little embarrassed to see we gave up 24 pts...TO BUFFALO

I couldn't see the game - and I'm a student at UB. I guess we know we suck when they won't even show the game on the campus TV network. Anyway. I was actually surprised to see the Bulls hanging in there at first. I was expecting something like 30-0 at the end of the first half. My dad's a Penn State fan and he told me that the reason why UB got 17 points in the end was because Paterno doesn't run up the score if he can help it - third stringers were in there by the end. Dad didn't see the game either, but he's probably seen enough to know that that's how it works.

SteelCityMan786
09-18-2007, 08:41 PM
Penn State to Atlantic Broadband: Give us our Nittany Lions
http://gopsusports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/091707aaa.html

Penn State-Illinois Contest Set for 12 p.m. ET Kick on Big Ten Network

Nittany Lions Visit Illini on Sept. 29

Sept. 17, 2007

UNIVERSITY PARK, PA.; - Penn State's second consecutive road game to begin Big Ten play, at Illinois on Sept. 29, will be televised by the Big Ten Network. Kickoff is at 11:00 a.m. CT/12:00 p.m. ET at Memorial Stadium.

The contest with the Fighting Illini is No. 10 Penn State's seventh announced TV appearance of the season. This Saturday's Big Ten opener at Michigan is an ABC national telecast at 3:30 p.m. ET, with the game airing on ESPN in Chicago and Ohio.

The Nittany Lions (3-0) will be making their third appearance on the Big Ten Network when they travel to Champaign. Penn State's games with Florida International and Buffalo also aired on the national network, which debuted August 30. The Big Ten Network can been seen in more than 28 million homes, including DirecTV (Ch. 220) and DISH Network (Ch. 439). The exact channels airing the Penn State-Illinois game will be announced next week.

Approximately 100 cable providers within the Big Ten footprint are carrying the network on expanded basic cable, including D&E Communications, Millheim TV Transmission and Penn State campus cable in Central Pennsylvania.

The Nittany Lions' 31-10 victory over Notre Dame on Sept. 8 was an ESPN primetime telecast that drew more than 3.3 million viewers, the fourth-largest audience for a Big Ten game on ESPN. Penn State will meet Wisconsin at 3:30 p.m. on Oct. 13 (ABC) and the Oct. 27 Ohio State game will air on ABC, ESPN or ESPN at 8:00 p.m. from Happy Valley. A decision on which network will air the game most likely will not be announced until 12 days before the border battle.

Penn State defeated Illinois, 26-12, last season in Beaver Stadium to take a 12-2 series lead. The Illini (2-1) visit Indiana on Saturday before hosting the Nittany Lions.

Starting their 15th season of Big Ten competition, the Nittany Lions have appeared on television in 154 of their last 156 games. Future Penn State contests may be selected by the networks under the six and 12-day provisions of their contracts with the Big Ten.

Buzz05
09-19-2007, 07:38 AM
Can I just clear something up....THE BIG 10 NETWORK CAN KISS MY @SS.

Seriously in years past i would be able to watch the games on ESPN + but nooooo not now. This is such crap!

SteelCityMan786
09-19-2007, 03:08 PM
Can I just clear something up....THE BIG 10 NETWORK CAN KISS MY @SS.

Seriously in years past i would be able to watch the games on ESPN + but nooooo not now. This is such crap!

I wish atlantic bb would talk to them about putting in the sports category of their programming. They do that so things stay organized. Yet they know people don't always get expanded basic. So they want it on Basic.

Buzz05
09-20-2007, 07:08 AM
I wonder if the Big 10 net knows that it is doing nothing but alienating its customers with its whole existance. Its terrible. I udnerstand I wouldnt be able to get all the games down here but come on man, I could get most of them. Atleast I can drive a mile down the road to a Steelers bar to get the games but there are no Penn State bars and no bars even carry the Big 10 Network...its such crap

OptionCoach
09-20-2007, 12:46 PM
This whole affair with the BTN blows. It's even worse if you have comcast (as I do) because they are tittie-fighting with BTN over things. I live in Central PA and cant see PSU play certain games...what a crock of sh!t

SteelCityMan786
09-20-2007, 01:43 PM
I wonder if the Big 10 net knows that it is doing nothing but alienating its customers with its whole existance. Its terrible. I udnerstand I wouldnt be able to get all the games down here but come on man, I could get most of them. Atleast I can drive a mile down the road to a Steelers bar to get the games but there are no Penn State bars and no bars even carry the Big 10 Network...its such crap

They'd cut the price in half if they want to add it to cable networks.

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 11:17 AM
http://centredaily.com/sports/colleges/penn_state/story/213307.html

Seniors to decide Michigan matchup
By Jeff Rice

This kind of game makes everyone nervous.

When Penn State visits Michigan on Saturday afternoon in the Big House, players on both sides will be nervous because they know the scope and the meaning of the game, that millions of discerning eyes will be watching and that their January bowl plans could be affected by a single play in September.

Coaches know that, as is usually the case when the Nittany Lions and Wolverines get together, there is talent all over the field. But this year, both teams have had trouble maximizing that talent and avoiding the kind of seemingly insignificant mistakes that can mean everything in a Big Ten title chase.

But mostly, the fans are nervous. I’ve heard from a lot of people this week. The diehards are waking up in cold sweats, visions of Lloyd Carr riding down Joe Paterno in a gladiator pit in their heads, the mere mention of the number 8 irritating them. They know Penn State is good but are expecting heartbreak, whether it’s a late Anthony Morelli interception, a Mike Hart fourth-quarter breakaway or something insidious from the guys in black and white.

Just as nervous are the anti-fans, who are still, even after back-to-back bowl seasons, waiting and hoping for Pater-no’s demise. Michigan’s mastery of the Nittany Lions has been one of their trump cards in their quest for a regime change, and they’re squirming because they know Penn State is the better team this year.

How much better? Well, that’s why we’re all nervous. We just don’t know.

Games like this usually come down to the seniors, and I think that four of them — Michigan’s Hart and Shawn Crable and Penn State’s Morelli and Dan Connor — will determine the outcome.

Hart’s role is obvious. If another senior, native son and quarterback Chad Henne, were in the lineup Saturday (Henne is doubtful with a knee sprain), the Wolverines probably wouldn’t run the ball as much as they will with freshman Ryan Mallett under center. Hart said Monday that he thinks he could carry the ball 40 times in a game. He might have to approach that to wear down a Penn State front seven that should, thanks to its eight-man defensive line rotation, be fresh in the fourth quarter.

Crable, the Wolverines’ cocaptain, strong-side linebacker and leading tackler, should be a key factor in three of Michigan’s top priorities. First, he’ll be asked to help stifle Penn State’s running game. When Morelli drops back to pass, chances are Crable will either blitz or cover the Nittany Lions’ most dangerous receiver, tight end Andrew Quarless.

At 6-foot-5, 245 pounds, Crable has the size to jam Quarless at the line, but running with him stride for stride is another matter.

Connor will spend most of his afternoon keeping his eyes focused between the “2” and the “0” on Hart’s jersey, but if Penn State’s young defensive line has trouble with Michigan’s veteran offensive line, Connor will have to fight off more blockers than he’s seen through the first three games to be his usual menace. And the blitzing that he’s done so well up the middle will have to be quick to beat the Wolverines’ three-step drops.

Morelli might be the most important player on the field Saturday. Other Penn State quarterbacks have had their every move similarly scrutinized, but none have so often resembled a Heisman Trophy candidate on one play and a second-team freshman the next. The decisions that he makes with the football, regardless of how successfully the Nittany Lions are able to run the ball, will determine how many points Penn State scores and, quite possibly, how many Michigan scores.

So, yeah, there’s plenty to be nervous about. Plenty to be optimistic about, too. Whatever the final score turns out to be, the fans should realize that the last eight scores in the series had nothing to do with it (they won’t, of course) and that it was about these two groups of players who, making both their coaches proud, managed to get through the week without saying anything that could even be construed as controversial.

They’re saving their nerve for Saturday.

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 12:03 PM
XDf9IJ9foqE

The new Gladiator Video.

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 12:22 PM
AP3na0pI2kY

Another great work. The other Pre-Game video.

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 01:58 PM
almost time to play Michigan and open the Big Ten.

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 02:42 PM
O-LINE ****ING BLOCK AND MORELLI GET THE PASS OFF!

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 02:45 PM
Time for the Defense to FINISH THEM OFF!

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 02:47 PM
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSACKED!

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 02:47 PM
Ok O, let's do something this drive.

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 02:51 PM
HOLD ON TO THE DAMN BALL MORELLI!

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 02:51 PM
Come on D. GET THE BALL BACK!

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 02:54 PM
Defense SUCKED that play. No excuse for giving a TD to a freshman.

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 03:00 PM
WOOOO HOOOO! BALL BACK IN OUR CONTROL!

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 03:01 PM
Keep moving the ball o!

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 03:02 PM
FIRST DOWN!

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 03:03 PM
BLOCK FOR HIM O-LINE!

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 03:03 PM
CATCH THE ****ING BALL!

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 03:04 PM
WHERE IS THE PASS INTERFERENCE CALL? HE WASN'T LOOKING AT THE DAMN BALL!

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 03:08 PM
Come On D! take advantage of the field position.

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 03:08 PM
WTF?!?!?! NO EXCUSES D! THAT EFFORT SUCKED!

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 03:10 PM
Move them back!

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 03:10 PM
Got to make that catch justin.

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 03:11 PM
SIT DOWN MALLET!

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 03:13 PM
QUIT PANSYING OUT O!

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 03:14 PM
STOP WITH THE REFFING BIASED!

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 03:16 PM
COME ON D FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 03:17 PM
Nice work Josh. Good Job.

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 03:18 PM
Defense. QUIT SCREWING AROUND!

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 03:18 PM
SIT DOWN!

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 03:21 PM
Let's get this butt ugly first quarter out of our head and start playing like Nittany Lions in the 2nd quarter.

fansince'76
09-22-2007, 03:24 PM
:chicken: :pw: :chicken: :pw: :chicken:

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 03:32 PM

Penn State 3, Michigan 7

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 03:37 PM
CONTAIN D!

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 03:38 PM
Big Ten Officating hates Penn State.

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 03:40 PM
GIVING UP TOO MANY FREE YARDS.

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 03:41 PM
Come on D! GET A TURNOVER!

Crushzilla
.... What are you doing?

If I came back tomorrow and read this... I would have no clue what was going on...

SteelCityMan786
Again.

TOO MANY FREE YARDS!

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 03:42 PM
.... What are you doing?

If I came back tomorrow and read this... I would have no clue what was going on...

Penn State game reactions.

Crushzilla
09-22-2007, 03:44 PM
Penn State game reactions.

Oh ok...

Carry on...

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 03:45 PM
Oh ok...

Carry on...

As you can tell, I'm getting sick of what is going on.

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 03:46 PM
WTF?!?!?! PATHETIC!

TackleMeBen
09-22-2007, 03:46 PM
GO BLUE:flap::flap:

I STILL LOVE YA STEELMAN :wink02:

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 03:51 PM
Come on Defense. LET'S GET THE BALL BACK ON THIS PLAY.

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 03:51 PM
GO BLUE:flap::flap:

I STILL LOVE YA STEELMAN :wink02:

I know, just remove that Alex Smith Signature and I won't have to give you hell for having it tomorrow. :sofunny::sofunny::sofunny::flap::flap::flap:

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 03:52 PM
Defense has to finish it off here.

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 03:53 PM
FINALLY! NICE WORK D!

WIDE RIGHT!

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 03:54 PM
Come on O! GET THE BALL DOWN THE FIELD AND ADD 6 MORE POINTS BEFORE THE HALF NOW!

TackleMeBen
09-22-2007, 03:54 PM
I know, just remove that Alex Smith Signature and I won't have to give you hell for having it tomorrow. :sofunny::sofunny::sofunny::flap::flap::flap:
no i cant remove alex smith until monday..lol:cheer::cheer:

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 03:55 PM
Why the heck didn't we run?

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 03:56 PM
Get the job done D! 3 and out!

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 03:56 PM
Stuffed in the back field.

TackleMeBen
09-22-2007, 03:57 PM
come on mallet... kick some penn st butt

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 03:57 PM
Keep them booing D, keep them booing.

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 03:58 PM
no i cant remove alex smith until monday..lol:cheer::cheer:

It is supposed to be a victim of the week signature?

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 03:59 PM
What the hell is bradley calling?

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 04:00 PM
Nice Job tipping it.

TackleMeBen
It is supposed to be a victim of the week signature?

yeah i am going to have to get one for each teams qb we play if we win tomorrow :wink02:

go mallet.. what a throw

SteelCityMan786
STOP GIVING FREE YARDS!

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 04:01 PM
Defense needs to get a turnover.

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 04:02 PM
NICE PRESSURE!

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 04:02 PM
CONTAIN YOUR MAN!

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 04:03 PM
STOP EM HERE D!

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 04:04 PM
That's 2 king should've had.

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 04:04 PM
NICE JOB SARGENT!

fansince'76
09-22-2007, 04:06 PM
:chicken: :pw: :pw: :cheer: :chicken: :pw: :cheer: :chicken: :pw: :pw: :chicken:

TackleMeBen
09-22-2007, 04:08 PM
Hail to the victors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lets go blue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (should i say go 49ers too????lol)

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 04:13 PM
No TMB, you'll lose all respect.

TackleMeBen
09-22-2007, 04:16 PM
No TMB, you'll lose all respect.

i can say go 49ers as long as they arent playing the steelers..lol

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 04:18 PM
:rofl:

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 04:18 PM
:chicken: :pw: :pw: :cheer: :chicken: :pw: :cheer: :chicken: :pw: :pw: :chicken:

You have just about over 1/2 of my ppd count.

fansince'76
09-22-2007, 04:21 PM
You have just about over 1/2 of my ppd count.

No, at 4,074 posts, I have over a thousand less than half your count.

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 04:22 PM
No, at 4,074 posts, I have over a thousand less than half your count.

I was reffering to your average gary.

TIME FOR PENN STATE TO TAKE THE LEAD IN THE 2ND HALF!

fansince'76
09-22-2007, 04:25 PM
I was reffering to your average gary.

TIME FOR PENN STATE TO TAKE THE LEAD IN THE 2ND HALF!

Be that as it may, much of that lately comes from moderating more than anything else, not 3 straight pages of posts talking to myself.

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 04:26 PM
Be that as it may, much of that lately comes from moderating more than anything else, not 3 straight pages of posts talking to myself.

ahhh touche.

TackleMeBen
09-22-2007, 04:27 PM
HERE WE GO BLUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GOOD RETURN MICHIGAN

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 04:27 PM
Let's get this half started right D!

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 04:28 PM
PATHETIC Job on D.

TackleMeBen
09-22-2007, 04:28 PM
i think penn st is playing great d..lol

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 04:29 PM
Defense needs to force a Turnover.

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 04:29 PM
i think penn st is playing great d..lol

I'd expect I'd hear that from a Michigander.

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 04:30 PM
20 degrees warmer then both teams games last week I just heard.(From their guess).

Penn State had about 60 degrees for theirs.

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 04:31 PM
Let's spread them out O!

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 04:34 PM
CAN THE O-LINE PLEASE BLOCK?!?!

TackleMeBen
09-22-2007, 04:34 PM
I'd expect I'd hear that from a Michigander.

but you love this Michigander :wink02:

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 04:35 PM
Dang. Nice try Quarless.

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 04:35 PM
COME ON! STOP THROWING THEM INTO COVERAGE!

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 04:36 PM
Man, I wonder if Knowledge and LT of the Steelers are related.

TackleMeBen
09-22-2007, 04:37 PM
come on hart.. score a TD

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 04:38 PM
3 AND OUT!!!!

TackleMeBen
09-22-2007, 04:38 PM
you got lucky on that one..lol

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 04:39 PM
Get that leg hydrated Scirotto. We still need you on D man.

Alright guys, Morelli, O-Line, Everyone, make better choices, we'll score.

TackleMeBen
09-22-2007, 04:40 PM
Come on Defense.. Sack Morelli !!!!!!

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 04:41 PM
you got lucky on that one..lol

Considering how today has gone, in some cases luck had to factor in on this. Now we just need to put a TD on that scoreboard so we can hear Penn State back in the lead.

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 04:41 PM
Come on O! Keep the ball moving.

TackleMeBen
09-22-2007, 04:42 PM
never!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! michigan is going to shut morelli down.... hopefully we wont hurt him too bad.

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 04:42 PM
Nice 2nd effort on the play.

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 04:43 PM
KEEP IT UP AUSTIN!

TackleMeBen
09-22-2007, 04:43 PM
we need a fumblel and a run back for a td

TackleMeBen
09-22-2007, 04:46 PM
michigan ball................YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 04:50 PM
TOTAL BULLSHIT CALL ON THE FUMBLE

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 04:51 PM
I can't be surprised that Scott has been that angry. Kinlaw takes the field for the rest of the game.

TackleMeBen
09-22-2007, 04:51 PM
WHAT LANGUAGE!!!!!LOL

but i would have to agree that was a bad call

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 04:52 PM
COME ON D! STUFF THEM! WE NEED THE BALL AND A SCORE!

TackleMeBen
09-22-2007, 04:52 PM
michigan fumble.. so that makes up for the bad call

TackleMeBen
09-22-2007, 04:54 PM
Great D Michigan

TackleMeBen
09-22-2007, 04:56 PM
pass interfence michigan.. geesh

TackleMeBen
09-22-2007, 04:59 PM
Great Job Defense!!!!!

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 05:01 PM
You guys just got off there.

7-6 Michigan. WITH PENN STATE THREATENING TO COMEBACK.

TackleMeBen
09-22-2007, 05:02 PM
we will score on this drive.. we have too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 05:03 PM
Come On D. LET'S GET A BIG PLAY!

TackleMeBen
09-22-2007, 05:04 PM
Come on Mallet.. put the hammer down

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 05:04 PM
we will score on this drive.. we have too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We will stop you. We have to stop you.

O Mallet.

YOU JUST GOT JACKED UP.

TackleMeBen
09-22-2007, 05:05 PM
thats ok.. he is a tough guy at 6'7:thumbsup:

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 05:08 PM
LEft him WIDE open.

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 05:09 PM
Defense, MAKE A BIG PLAY!

TackleMeBen
Go Blue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! get down field and score that TD

SteelCityMan786
Awful job Defensively.

GET A TURNOVER AND STOP MICHIGAN NOW!

TackleMeBen
09-22-2007, 05:10 PM
good job mike hart

TackleMeBen
09-22-2007, 05:10 PM
1 st down michigan

TackleMeBen
09-22-2007, 05:11 PM
darn it mallet.. over thrown

TackleMeBen
09-22-2007, 05:12 PM
penn st better go work on their defense for next week ..lol

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 05:14 PM
For sale

Free yards by our effing D.

QUIT GIVING THEM FREE YARDS DAMN IT!

TackleMeBen
09-22-2007, 05:15 PM
we will be glad to take them for you ..lol :flap:

TackleMeBen
09-22-2007, 05:16 PM
pass interfence..... penn st???????

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 05:16 PM
BS CALL!

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 05:17 PM
we will be glad to take them for you ..lol :flap:

I was being sarcastic. It was me showing my displeasure at the D.

TackleMeBen
09-22-2007, 05:17 PM
that was a close call there

TackleMeBen
09-22-2007, 05:18 PM
I was being sarcastic. It was me showing my displeasure at the D.

i know you were.. your defense isnt looking that good today. TOUCHDOWN MICHIGAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 05:18 PM
EXPECT A ****ING LAWSUIT BIG TEN! YOUR GETTING THIS GAME PROTESTED! YOU HAVE USED ANN ARBOR BASED REFS FOR THIS GAME TO GIVE PENN STATE NO CHANCE IN THIS GAME.

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 05:19 PM
Michigan needs to take the refs off the damn payroll.

TackleMeBen
09-22-2007, 05:19 PM
Well I would like to stay but i have get to a BBQ... maybe your team tomorrow will fair better!!!!

i still love you even though penn st lost to my michigan wolverines..lol

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 05:21 PM
Well I would like to stay but i have get to a BBQ... maybe your team tomorrow will fair better!!!!

i still love you even though penn st lost to my michigan wolverines..lol

Still time left TMB. You haven't won yet. I'm just hoping my anger now can be cooled by the Black and Gold. Meaning they extinguish my anger

lilyoder6
09-22-2007, 05:29 PM
our def needs a f'm turnover right now this drive early

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 05:30 PM
Amen to that Lily.

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 05:32 PM
Come on D. GET THE BALL BACK!

OptionCoach
09-22-2007, 05:44 PM
Galen Hall needs to go. Ever heard of play action on FIRST down when they are loading the box? What a fool.

Morelli sucks. Period. He missed at LEAST 2 TD passes because he has NO Vision and happy feet.

Absolutely TERRIBLE performance. They should be ashamed. Michigan ran the ball 80% the time to the LEFT. And we cant stop it. Unreal. Just piss poor...Im so pissed.

They have 1 minute 38 seconds to save this season.

OptionCoach
09-22-2007, 05:49 PM
Never mind. Morelli and Galen Hall are the ones that lost us this game.

Dumb and Dumber

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 05:50 PM
Thanks for cheating us Refs.

OptionCoach
09-22-2007, 05:52 PM
It wasnt the refs. It was our horrible Qb and our completely inept offensive coordinator. THAT is who to blame.

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 06:06 PM
It wasnt the refs. It was our horrible Qb and our completely inept offensive coordinator. THAT is who to blame.

It was a mix. The Refs Sucked, we didn't do anything about it. And how we were doing on the field.

Excuse me while I try to get the frustration out of me and try to get move focus towards the Steelers Game. :banging::banging::banging: :argue::argue::m16::m16::m16::m16::rocket::rocket: :rocket::rocket::pissed::pissed::pissed::fingers:: fingers::fingers::headbutt:

OptionCoach
09-22-2007, 06:22 PM
It was a mix. The Refs Sucked, we didn't do anything about it. And how we were doing on the field.

Excuse me while I try to get the frustration out of me and try to get move focus towards the Steelers Game.

Amen, Brother

let me add mine:

:dang::dang::banging::banging::banging::m16::m16:: m16::thmbdown::thmbdown::rocket::rocket::rocket::t ombstone

SteelCityMan786
09-22-2007, 09:48 PM
Amen, Brother

let me add mine:

:dang::dang::banging::banging::banging::m16::m16:: m16::thmbdown::thmbdown::rocket::rocket::rocket::t ombstone

Well Said.

X-Terminator
09-23-2007, 10:37 AM
As a WVU fan, I'd like to take this opportunity to...

:toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

Just joshin' ya! :cheers: