PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Penn State Nittany Lion Football Thread

Pages : 1 2 [3]

SteelCityMan786
09-23-2007, 06:04 PM
As a WVU fan, I'd like to take this opportunity to...

:toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

Just joshin' ya! :cheers:

Yeah and? This is the same ol team who has been giving us pains in the arse for years.

Buzz05
09-24-2007, 08:12 AM
Morelli needs to transfer period. I have stood up for the guy since last year and now he goes out and lays an egg in the game that would define his carreer...Galen hall needs canned. End of story. The big red head....should go too.

Michigan CANT defend the spread offense....what does Hall and Red do....run the ball with Iso plays and draws into their defensive line that is big and fast.....:dang:

Morelli has horrible vision and gets too excited in the pocket...BRING IN DEVLIN! Groom him this year for next year...atleast by then maybe we'll have a QB who can perform in big games....it honestly seems to me that we have won inspite of Morelli not because of him.

Jeremy
09-24-2007, 11:44 AM
Penn State = Overrated

Again.

:toofunny:

Buzz05
09-24-2007, 12:10 PM
Penn State = Overrated

Again.

:toofunny:

Agreed...

Morelli = cancel his scholarship

Jeremy
09-24-2007, 12:12 PM
Agreed...

Morelli = cancel his scholarship

If you're going to do that you might as well kick Austin Scott off the team and fire the whole offensive staff as well.

The Lions flat out stink on offense. But they still say that they don't need someone like McCoy.

Buzz05
09-24-2007, 12:45 PM
If you're going to do that you might as well kick Austin Scott off the team and fire the whole offensive staff as well.

The Lions flat out stink on offense. But they still say that they don't need someone like McCoy.

Agreed. Scott should be benched. Kinlaw isnt a great back but atleast he holds onto the ball. I said in a previous post that Hall and McQuiery (sp?) need to be canned. End of story. Saturday was the worst offensive display I have ever seen from a team that is supposed to have to mch promise.

Jeremy
09-24-2007, 02:08 PM
Agreed. Scott should be benched. Kinlaw isnt a great back but atleast he holds onto the ball. I said in a previous post that Hall and McQuiery (sp?) need to be canned. End of story. Saturday was the worst offensive display I have ever seen from a team that is supposed to have to mch promise.

If you guys don't hang Jay Paterno by his toes pretty soon, you'll start losing these good offensive recruits to us and WVU. As it stands, Terelle Pryor won't be going to UPS.

Buzz05
09-24-2007, 02:32 PM
If you guys don't hang Jay Paterno by his toes pretty soon, you'll start losing these good offensive recruits to us and WVU. As it stands, Terelle Pryor won't be going to UPS.

I agree. Jay is a terrible recruiter. Terrelle Pryor should have already committed to PSU but Jay keeps screwing around. he things he knows the PSU type of player when in fact he's probably the worst recruiter out there today.

Jeremy
09-24-2007, 02:50 PM
I agree. Jay is a terrible recruiter. Terrelle Pryor should have already committed to PSU but Jay keeps screwing around. he things he knows the PSU type of player when in fact he's probably the worst recruiter out there today.

The thing is Penn State has a couple of really good recruiters on their staff. Oh well. Once Wanny finishes screwing things up this season at Pitt, we can dump him and make a real run at Tom Bradley.

PS: Pryor is OSU bound and that pisses me off.

Buzz05
09-25-2007, 07:32 AM
The thing is Penn State has a couple of really good recruiters on their staff. Oh well. Once Wanny finishes screwing things up this season at Pitt, we can dump him and make a real run at Tom Bradley.

I know Pryor is either OSU bound or dont be surprised if he goes to Florida...He wasnt to play basketball too. And we all know about PSU's bball program.

Tom Bradly in my opinion is one of the better recruiters out there. He goes out and gets the kids and tries to cover up for Jay. I would love to see Tom get a head coaching position very soon....but as the PSU coach...no offense but I hope he doesnt go to Pitt. But if it would happen it could make sense. Tom is from Johnstown and still have family there. So if he leaves PSU it would be for Pitt.

SteelCityMan786
09-27-2007, 09:05 PM

You won't get Bradley. He's too loyal to Penn State to leave.

SteelCityMan786
09-29-2007, 11:37 AM
This is $^%$#^#^# rediculous. I don't know what the hell has happend to the Penn State D. Get their heads out of their butts. They're down 14-3 to Illinois. PATHETIC!

SteelCityMan786
09-29-2007, 01:41 PM
15 more minutes, but it in better shape. 24-20 Illinois. TIME TO FINISH THE COMEBACK.

SteelCityMan786
09-29-2007, 02:01 PM
TOO MANY BLOWN PLAYS!

Crushzilla
09-29-2007, 02:32 PM
http://forums.steelersfever.com/showpost.php?p=262636&postcount=5

SteelCityMan786
09-29-2007, 02:33 PM
Week 2 of the conference season Crush. We still play you guys to. Enjoy the bragging now. We will have the last rights at the end.

I'm so tired of biased reffing against us and no will to overcome it.

rbryan
09-29-2007, 02:35 PM
How many more games is Morelli going to blow before the change is made? He is horrible.

SteelCityMan786
09-29-2007, 02:56 PM
How many more games is Morelli going to blow before the change is made? He is horrible.

Depends on how he does against Iowa.

Buzz05
10-01-2007, 08:04 AM
Depends on how he does against Iowa.

He needs benched....now....

He is terrible! If they lose to Iowa then season is over. They might as well put Devlin in and see what the kid can do. Might as well start grooming him for next year.

Lord Stiller
10-02-2007, 09:22 AM
The team is a mess, first Austin Scott had costly fumbles and now Kinlaw

SUCKS!!!!

Although PSU does have the best home field advantage in all of sports IMO so we aren't out of it yet

SteelCityMan786
10-02-2007, 09:32 PM
The team is a mess, first Austin Scott had costly fumbles and now Kinlaw

SUCKS!!!!

Although PSU does have the best home field advantage in all of sports IMO so we aren't out of it yet

We are FAR from being out. I say we still make a bowl. Question is, which bowl game do we get to.

SteelCityMan786
10-04-2007, 08:44 PM
http://centredaily.com/402/story/224276.html

Thursday, Oct. 04, 2007
Execution center of Nittany Lions’ current troubles
Jeff Rice

Execute. Executed. Executing. Execution.

It doesn't matter how you conjugate it. Execution is the hot word in the Penn State camp this week, when everyone from linemen to linebackers to cornerbacks to wideouts insisted the Nittany Lions had the correct players and plays in place during losses to Michigan and Illinois, but those players simply didn't make enough of those plays to win.

"Football is a simple game," senior wide receiver Terrell Golden said. "It really comes down to who can execute the best."

Last Saturday in Champaign, Penn State proved it could execute. The offense rolled up 427 yards of total offense, including seven plays of more than 20 yards, and the defense limited Illinois to 147 total yards and zero pass completions in the second half.

The Nittany Lions did not, however, prove that they could execute on a consistent basis. The defense allowed 21 points in the first half and the offense committed three turnovers — execution at its utter worst — in its final four possessions, losing the ball on downs on the other occasion.

It is this inconsistency that has the players and head coach Joe Paterno so frustrated.

“You try to get people to understand it’s a tough game, and the game’s won or lost with one or two or three plays in crucial situations,” Paterno said. “I don’t think we’ve done a good job when we’ve had opportunities to win the game. We have not come up with some big plays. That part I am concerned about, and I think that only comes with some experience and some success.”

Paterno reiterated Tuesday that drastic changes to the playbook or lineup shuffling are not in his plans for Saturday’s game against Iowa. It will be up to the players to execute the plays they’ve been running all season.

What are some ways to better do that?

“It means that every single person for one particular play has to take care of all their responsibilities,” Golden said, “And they don’t worry about anybody else.”

Cornerback Lydell Sargeant agreed.

“Once you start getting into worrying about this or that,” he said, “that’s when you start losing focus on what you do and your game plan.”

State of mind, according to several players, is just as important as what they do with their hands and feet. Tension can be a drive-killer, especially in the red zone, where the Nittany Lions have scored one touchdown in their last 10 chances.

“I think that’s one of the factors that we have to work on, not get uptight,” Sargeant said. “If we have fun and play our game, we should be all right.”

That’s the approach many Nittany Lions have taken during practice this week.

“You wouldn’t even know that we were 0-2 in the conference,” Golden said. “Guys around here are getting back to the essence of playing football, and that’s just having fun.”

Others are taking the approach of linebacker Sean Lee, who believes improved execution will come from scouring game tape, learning from what went wrong and making the necessary corrections.

“We made a lot of mistakes. We’ve got to get rid of those,” said Lee, who led the team with 17 tackles Saturday. “We have to practice more precise, practice harder so we don’t have those mistakes in games.”

Saturday’s mistakes included an alarming number of missed tackles by Penn State defenders.

“That’s something we can improve on,” Lee said. “Something we will improve on.”

The Nittany Lions, like their coach, were careful to credit their opponents’ play after both losses. But, also like their coach, they believe that they’re doing as much to hold themselves back lately as opponents are.

“For the most part, I feel like everybody has lapses here and there,” cornerback Justin King said. “We just have them at the wrong time.”

SteelCityMan786
10-04-2007, 08:47 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07277/822781-143.stm

Iowa's visit stirs memories for Lions linebacker Lee
Thursday, October 04, 2007
By Ron Musselman, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Penn State and Iowa courted Sean Lee during the high school recruiting process.

In the end, Lee reluctantly turned his back on another Upper St. Clair High School alum -- Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz -- to join the Nittany Lions.

"I thought Iowa was a great campus and obviously the program was a great program, with a bunch of great coaches," Lee said yesterday. "Coach Ferentz has done a great job out there of really getting that program going.

"It was just a question of Penn State being closer to home. I had grown up as a Penn State fan, and that's really what it came down to in the decision. But Iowa was second. I really liked it out there."

Lee, a two-year starter at outside linebacker for the Lions, said Ferentz reminds him of Penn State coach Joe Paterno.

"It was fun talking to [Ferentz] during the recruiting process," Lee said. "He's the type of guy who's had a ton of success, so you look at him like a role model, just like coach Paterno.

"I'm sure he looked at coach Paterno as a role model. They're very similar, I think, in their leadership styles."

As a high school senior in 2004, Lee attended the Penn State-Iowa homecoming game at Beaver Stadium.

Despite being one of the ugliest games in school history -- Iowa won, 6-4 -- Lee could not wait to attend Penn State.

"I went to watch the defense, really the linebackers," he said. "They played with a lot of intensity and did a great job of shutting down the [Iowa] offense. On that day, I saw the crowd and the atmosphere and how hard the defense played, and I wanted to be part of it."

When Penn State plays host to Iowa Saturday, both struggling teams will be searching for their first Big Ten Conference victory after opening league play at 0-2.

"We do need to get our first Big Ten win," Lee said. "We kind of need that maybe to get some more confidence and get it rolling again. The losses were frustrating -- they could have been wins. They were close games. Getting a win this week, I think, would really help our psyche."

Penn State's defense has been below par recently, allowing 382 yards rushing the past two games and eight touchdowns in the past nine quarters, but Lee has not.

He has made 41 tackles in the past three games, including a career-high 17 Saturday against Illinois. Lee leads the Lions and is second in the Big Ten with 52 stops -- 26 solos, 26 assists. He is averaging 10.4 tackles per game, tying him for 23rd in the country.

"Sean Lee is a warrior," cornerback Justin King said. "He's a traditional Penn State linebacker -- hard-nosed."

Lee has five tackles this season for minus-16 yards, to go along with two sacks.

"Sean's been a hard worker since he came here," said middle linebacker Dan Connor, who is second with 49 tackles. "I think everyone knew that when he got a shot, his name would be known on a national level."

Lee was named the Big Ten's defensive player of week after Penn State's season-opening victory against Florida International. He had seven solo tackles, including two for losses, a sack, a forced fumble and a pass break-up.

Although Lee always seems to be around the football, he believes he can play better.

"I've made some plays. I think I've gotten better from last year. But I watch the film, and there are still plays that I can make. There are mistakes that I'm making that are frustrating. I feel like I still have a lot of room for improvement as the season goes on," he said.

"Sometimes, you're making tackles, but you're making them 8 yards down field. I like to be making tackles in the backfield. A perfect game would be getting off the field, having a ton of three-and-outs and maybe not having as many tackles."

SteelCityMan786
10-06-2007, 07:29 PM
Good work today. But Morelli needs to get his head out of his but next week if we're going to great offensively against Wisconsin.

SteelCityMan786
10-08-2007, 07:51 PM
http://www.wjactv.com/news/14280739/detail.html

This might be it for Austin Scott

SteelCityMan786
10-08-2007, 07:52 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07280/823576-143.stm
PSU Notebook: Scott's status with team up in air
Sunday, October 07, 2007

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. -- Tailback Austin Scott did not dress for the game yesterday against Iowa and his football future at Penn State is up in the air.

Sources confirmed that Scott, a fifth-year senior, is being investigated for an off-the-field incident.

And there are reports that his locker has been cleaned out and he is no longer with the team.

"I don't know what people are reporting, but I'm just telling you right now that his status is very much in doubt as far as playing, period," coach Joe Paterno said after the Lions' 27-7 victory against the Hawkeyes at Beaver Stadium.

"Scott broke a team rule and I think that's as much as I'm going to say ... I don't think it's fair for me to get into anything right now."

Scott, who attended Parkland High School in Allentown, is Pennsylvania's all-time leading rusher with 3,853 yards.

His Penn State career has been a major disappointment. He has been in and out of Paterno's doghouse.

Scott, who redshirted last season in order to get another year of eligibility, was sent home from the Outback Bowl in December for what Paterno called "personal reasons."

Scott had 302 yards rushing on 69 carries and a team-high six touchdowns in the first five games.

Head above water

At 14, Mark Rubin was the top-ranked swimmer in the country in the 50 and 100-yard freestyle events.

He competed against Michael Phelps, a six-time Olympic gold-medal winner, and even beat him a few times.

Rubin continued to swim once he reached Amherst High School in suburban Buffalo, N.Y. -- he won two state titles as a sophomore -- but he became much more passionate about football.

"Swimming is a sport where you really need to train year-round and make it the focus of your life," Rubin said. "I definitely knew I wanted to play football in college."

Even though Texas, Auburn and Hawaii offered him a swimming scholarship, he opted to play football at Penn State.

Rubin started six of the Nittany Lions' final seven games as a freshman receiver in 2004.

A dislocated ankle and fractured collarbone limited him to just one catch the past two seasons.

Rubin, a redshirt junior, moved to safety this spring and has seen considerable playing time lately. Starting free safety Tony Davis has been slowed by a shoulder injury, although he did start against Iowa.

"People forget that [Rubin] was injured and that held him back a little bit," Paterno said. "He's finally getting back to where he's got that same kind of quickness and agility."

83-Steelers-43
10-12-2007, 02:02 PM
Suspended Penn State back Austin Scott charged with rape
Friday, October 12, 2007
The Associated Press

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. -- Suspended Penn State running back Austin Scott has been charged with raping a woman at her on-campus apartment after meeting her at a bar.

Scott, 22, was arraigned today on charges of rape, sexual assault and two counts of aggravated indecent assault, all felonies, in connection with the encounter last Friday.

Scott declined to comment as he left the courtroom today.

"The interaction he had with the woman involved was consensual, and we anticipate we will be able to prove that in court," his lawyer, Joseph Amendola, said. "Very optimistic. We're looking forward to the opportunity of establishing his innocence."

Authorities said the encounter occurred in the early morning hours of last Friday. Coach Joe Paterno suspended Scott later that day, saying the tailback had violated an unspecified team rule.

Scott remains enrolled at Penn State.

"As with the case with any sexual assault, we consider it a matter adjudicated by the court, and we can't get into details at this point," university spokeswoman Lisa Powers said.

Scott also faces three misdemeanors: two counts of indecent assault and one count of simple assault. He was released on $50,000 unsecured bail and ordered to stay away from the alleged victim.

A preliminary hearing was scheduled for Wednesday.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07285/824964-100.stm

SteelCityMan786
10-13-2007, 09:22 PM
Well this news spells the end of Austin Scott's time at Penn State in my opinion.

Lord Stiller
10-16-2007, 07:32 AM
We are FAR from being out. I say we still make a bowl. Question is, which bowl game do we get to.

Of course we will make a bowl game

I'm talking about winning the Big 10 and going the the Rose Bowl which is unlikely now but maybe still possible???

Ohio State still has to play @ PSU, @ Michigan and vs Illinois and Wisconson. They could easily lose 2.

After the Rose Bowl, the 2 big bowl games we want is the Capitol One Bowl and then the Outback Bowl (Both are played against an SEC team)

PS - Austin Scott is a friggin idiot and Im glad he's off the team. Kinlaw is good and this Royster kid is looking good too

SteelCityMan786
10-16-2007, 05:35 PM
Of course we will make a bowl game

I'm talking about winning the Big 10 and going the the Rose Bowl which is unlikely now but maybe still possible???

Ohio State still has to play @ PSU, @ Michigan and vs Illinois and Wisconson. They could easily lose 2.

After the Rose Bowl, the 2 big bowl games we want is the Capitol One Bowl and then the Outback Bowl (Both are played against an SEC team)

PS - Austin Scott is a friggin idiot and Im glad he's off the team. Kinlaw is good and this Royster kid is looking good too

Winning the Big Ten is TOUGH, however, it can be done with a crazy comeback.

I do not like the end of year schedule in the Big Ten for OSU either. Penn State, Michigan/Wisconsin I can see being trap games that they could end up on the losing end. Penn State appears though to be more likely since they have to go to Penn State and trying to win in an 100,000+ seat enviornment that always has a team and fans bringing their A Game.

Within the 2 bowls that are big outside of the BCS, I see Penn State going to the Capital One Bowl. Illinois is going to have to drop off here eventually. I just don't like Illinois on a competitive scale at the end. Yeah they beat Penn State, but what are they going to do in the final 4 that can play in a BIG roll to determine your bowl fate.

Amen to that brother.

SteelCityMan786
10-20-2007, 11:12 AM
PATHETIC START ON D TODAY! King doesn't cover his guy and the give up a free Touchdown.

SteelCityMan786
10-20-2007, 11:50 AM
TOUCHDOWN TERREL GOLDEN

7-6 IU.

SteelCityMan786
10-20-2007, 12:06 PM
PATHETIC COVERAGE and the give up a TD. 14-6 IU.

TackleMeBen
10-20-2007, 12:48 PM
i need penn st to win today. i picked them in my football pool.. (man this sucks having to root for penn st):wink02:

SteelCityMan786
10-20-2007, 01:27 PM
Hey you should consider it an honor since we are on a 14-3 run and winning 23-17 despite some dumb stuff.

TackleMeBen
10-21-2007, 09:57 AM
and darn it i have to pull for penn state again next week against OSU.... this blows.. two weeks in a row i have to root for your team steelman..lol... (although i dont have much faith in them beating ohio state)

Jeremy
10-21-2007, 10:43 AM
Ohio State is going to walk up and down Penn State.

revefsreleets
10-24-2007, 08:17 AM
As a Buckeye fan, I have to chime in. First off, I have the utmost respect for Penn State, and I actually had this game circled as one of the biggest tests for the Bucks this year, and now I'm convinced it will be the biggest test (Michigan is the rivalry, but based on the recent past, a hammer and a nail don't have a rivalry).

110,000 screaming fans in a whiteout in a night game is about as bigtime as it gets, and OSU always has trouble with the Nittany Lions. I think OSU's defense will win the game for them, but Penn State is very capable pulling off the upset. I expect this to be a typical OSU/PSU game: A hard fought, smashmouth defensive struggle.

Good luck and may the best team win!

Lord Stiller
10-24-2007, 10:56 AM
Ohio State is going to walk up and down Penn State.

Nope. It's gonna be close. Penn State is a completely different team at home than on the road.

If they can limit the big mistakes like turnovers, they have a good shot at upsetting OSU.

What are you, a pu$$y pitt panther fan or somehing?

revefsreleets
10-24-2007, 04:41 PM
For what it's worth, the Buckeyes definitely "get it" when it comes to playing in Happy Valley. This is a team that plays in a lot of big games in a lot of big venues, and it's clear they really enjoy the BIGNESS of this game:

http://www.ohio.com/sports/10761956.html

Buckeyes brace for roaring fans

Noise part of drills before trip to face Nittany Lions

COLUMBUS: There will be a blizzard of white come Saturday night in University Park, Pa. Thankfully, the weather forecast calls for a daytime temperature of 68 degrees with rain, so it won't be snow.

For the No. 1 Ohio State football team, that isn't necessarily a good thing. The whiteout will come courtesy of Penn State fans at Beaver Stadium, a place where OSU hasn't enjoyed a lot of success.

Overall, the OSU-PSU series stands knotted at 11, but coach Joe Paterno's team enjoys a 5-3 advantage in Happy Valley. The No. 24-ranked Nittany Lions have a definite home-field advantage, given the maniacal crowd of more than 107,000 fans, many of whom wear white T-shirts.

''It's just loud. The craziness itself affects you, the offense and stuff like that,'' OSU defensive back Malcolm Jenkins said Tuesday. ''You can't hear the calls. It

can be kind of intimidating. The defense, that's the kind of environment you like to be in, that hostile environment. It makes your play elevate.''

Center Tyler Whaley said Beaver Stadium is the loudest venue he has played in, and he agreed it's an attempt at intimidation, although he's not sure from where it emanates.

''Maybe it's that they make themselves more noticeable by the white shirts,'' he said. ''If anything, it just gets me more fired up to play in the game. I think hearing all the fans and being right in your face, it gets my blood flowing probably a little bit more than normal.''

It doesn't matter to the Buckeyes, both players said. What's more important is that they come away from Penn State with a victory a statement easy to make, but not necessarily easy to accomplish.

OSU games against Penn State typically have been close. The Buckeyes' most recent visit to Beaver Stadium, in 2005, ended with a 17-10 loss in another game played at night. It cost OSU an outright Big Ten championship.

''We have probably, I suppose, 25 guys that were a part of (the 2005 game). And so because that's real to them, the 2003 (game) or the 2001 (game) isn't something we can draw on,'' OSU coach Jim Tressel said. ''Because it's so recent, I think we can grow from it and learn from it.''

Jenkins said Ohio State must raise its intensity to match the hostility in the stadium, but he can appreciate what Penn State fans do.

''The craziest thing was that they had fans lined up from our locker room to the field. That's the only time that's ever happened,'' he said. ''It's kind of fun to be there. It was a new experience, though. Hopefully it will be the same this year.''

The Buckeyes are taking steps to try to minimize the crowd's impact, Whaley said. Noise, including a lion's roar, will blare during practice this week. The offense will communicate more with hand signals.

''It's fun. It's a challenge. The crowd is only as loud as you let it be,'' Jenkins said. ''If you jump on a team early, by the end of the half, the crowd is not a factor. But if you let them stay with you, then the crowd can become a problem.''

Blitzburgh Gator
10-26-2007, 05:59 AM
If Morelli plays well, PSU is very capable of winning. If he turns the ball over, it will probably get ugly in OSU's favor.

Hopefully it will at least be a fun game to watch...

revefsreleets
10-26-2007, 09:26 AM
I think the key to the game is Todd Boeckman. The Buckeyes were playing conservatively and well on their way to a very workmanlike rout against MSU last week when Todd threw a pick for a TD and fumbled that caused another TD all within 1 minute. If Boeckman plays well, the Buckeyes will win big, but that is a BIG IF!

xXTheSteelKingsXx
10-26-2007, 05:40 PM
I think the key to the game is Todd Boeckman. The Buckeyes were playing conservatively and well on their way to a very workmanlike rout against MSU last week when Todd threw a pick for a TD and fumbled that caused another TD all within 1 minute. If Boeckman plays well, the Buckeyes will win big, but that is a BIG IF!

Agreed but I think Bennie's health will also be a key factor in the PSU game. Hopefully his ankle will be close to 100% and he has another big game.

revefsreleets
10-26-2007, 05:45 PM
If Wells can't play or is slowed, Brandon Saine is 100% healthy now. He may actually be BETTER then Beanie Wells, and that's truly scary, considering that Chris hasn't been right all year and is starting to post up some numbers.

stlrtruck
10-27-2007, 09:41 AM
I've only got 4 words for you...

WE ARE PENN STATE!!!!

SteelCityMan786
10-27-2007, 10:30 AM
http://www.centredaily.com/sports/colleges/penn_state/athletics/story/242608.html

Thursday, Oct. 25, 2007
Nittany Lions get yards any way they choose
Jeff Rice
- jrice@centredaily.com

Anthony Morelli spent part of Wednesday's teleconference telling reporters how the Penn State offense has become more patient and no longer dependent on big plays. He spent another part explaining how the Nittany Lions are preparing to exploit what they expect will be a heavy dose of Ohio State blitzes with ... big plays.

Morelli was aware of the apparent contradiction. But the senior quarterback believes Penn State can be successful with either tactic against the nation’s top-ranked defense Saturday in Beaver Stadium.

The last few weeks support that claim.

In wins over Iowa, Wisconsin and Indiana, six of the Nittany Lions’ 12 touchdown drives have gone for more than 70 yards, a sign of maturation for a group that scored quickly and easily against overmatched non-conference opponents early in the season but had trouble sustaining and finishing drives in road losses to Michigan and Illinois.

“We can put together long drives,” Morelli said. “Everything doesn’t have to be throw a bomb or break a long run.”

But it’s nice to know that the Nittany Lions, who have 32 plays of 20 yards or more this season, have the quick-strike ability if they need it. Against an Ohio State defense that blitzes from everywhere on what can seem like every play, they will.

“Any time they blitz, they’re leaving someone open, so it’s an opportunity for a big play,” Morelli said. “It’s something we’ve been looking at and trying to put together this week in practice.”

The Nittany Lions came away impressed with what they saw on film from the Buckeye defense this week. Six defensive starters, including powerful defensive tackles Quinn Pit**** and David Patterson, graduated from the team that held Penn State to six points last season in Columbus, but Ohio State continues to shut down the opposition.

“There’s no dropoff in talent,” Penn State center A.Q. Shipley said.

Penn State’s offensive players believe they have matured not only since the last meeting with the Buckeyes last September but since the early part of this season.

“I’d say we’re being more patient, letting things develop,” said tailback Rodney Kinlaw, who has 352 of his 752 rushing yards in the last three weeks. “We’re not trying to rush things.”

Part of that has been steadier play from Morelli, who said he is “a different quarterback” than the one who played in Columbus last fall. Part of it has been the jelling of the offensive line.

“It takes a good five, six games to really develop that cohesion, that continuity in an offensive line,” Shipley said. “We’re hitting it at the right time.”

And part of it is a growing familarity between players who have lined up together for nearly two full seasons.

“We’re comfortable with one another,” left tackle Gerald Cadogan said. “We’re able to get the job done because we trust one another.”

A noticeable sign of the offense’s growth came in the fourth quarter in Bloomington. James Hardy’s second touchdown reception of the day had cut the Penn State lead to 29-24 with 8:06 to play. The Nittany Lions promptly responded with a nine-play, 77-yard drive in which Morelli completed all four of his passes and every play, including Kinlaw’s 5-yard touchdown run, gained at least five yards.

“It was ‘bang, bang, bang,’ right down the field,” Shipley said. “When we needed it, we got it. It showed character on our part.”

The Nittany Lions hope to show similar resolve Saturday against the best defense they will have faced this season. They don’t care how they get the yards or points, just that they get them.

“If they’re gonna blitz us a lot, find the open guy,” Morelli said. “If we have to go on 90- yard drives and be patient, we can do that, too.”

SteelCityMan786
10-27-2007, 10:31 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07298/828354-143.stm

Buckeyes' Boeckman, Lions' Morelli carry heavy load into big showdown
Thursday, October 25, 2007

Anthony Morelli has been nearly unbeatable at home, going 11-1 in his two seasons as Penn State's starting quarterback.

Todd Boeckman waited four years before finally getting his shot as Ohio State's starter.

Boeckman hasn't lost yet.

He is 8-0 since replacing Heisman Trophy winner Troy Smith, including 3-0 on the road.

The Boeckman-led Buckeyes are ranked No. 1 in the country entering Saturday's prime-time showdown against No. 24 Penn State at Beaver Stadium.

Morelli, a 22-year-old senior from Penn Hills High School, is seeking his first victory against Ohio State after losing to the top-ranked Buckeyes, 28-6, last September in Columbus, Ohio. Boeckman, a rare 23-year-old fifth-year junior, is looking to improve on his perfect record in front of a raucous crowd and keep Ohio State atop the national polls.

Morelli said yesterday there's nothing quite like playing at home, where his only loss was a 17-10 setback to then-No. 4 Michigan last year.

"It's always different when you got people behind you," he said. "We got these great fans here at Penn State who are screaming and yelling and trying to help us out. Every little bit helps, especially in a big game like this."

Penn State coach Joe Paterno believes Morelli's performance will be critical to the outcome.

"I think a lot of it depends on Morelli -- and everybody else," Paterno said. "Morelli, he can't carry us. ... We just got to be able to do some things at certain times that will be crucial, if he can do it, and I think he will.

"I think he has gotten himself in a position now that he can do it."

Morelli, 6 feet 4 and 232 pounds, has completed 59.5 percent of his passes (147 of 247) for 1,739 yards. He has 13 touchdowns and seven interceptions.

Junior middle linebacker James Laurinaitis, the leader of Ohio State's highly rated defense and winner of last year's Nagurski Award, which goes to the nation's best defensive player, is impressed with Morelli's strong arm. "I think he does a tremendous job on the play-action stuff. He can whip that ball, he can make deep throws, he can make those tough throws. He's got a strong arm. I think he's just a good player."

Boeckman, 6-5 and 245, has been with the Ohio State program for 4 1/2 years. He turned down several other offers to sign with the Buckeyes. But he took a grayshirt season his first year, enrolling at Ohio State as a part-time student in the fall of 2003. He did not join the football team for the regular season and waited for a scholarship to come free in January.

Boeckman redshirted in 2004 and spent the past two years as the third-string quarterback behind Smith and Justin Zwick.

Coach Jim Tressel previously joked that Boeckman has been around so long, he's "older than I am."

Boeckman said the long wait has been worth it. "I know I had to wait my turn, but it's finally nice to go out there and get the opportunity to play, because it's been my dream to be a quarterback here."

Boeckman leads the Big Ten in passing efficiency (161.36) and ranks seventh nationally. He has completed 65.6 percent (120 of 183) of his passes -- slightly better than Smith's school-record 65.3 percent last season -- for 1,546 yards. Boeckman has thrown 18 touchdown passes and seven interceptions.

"He's a very accurate, deep-ball passer," Penn State cornerback Justin King said.

Boeckman is not as mobile like Smith. "They're not doing some of the things this year that they did last year because this kid isn't quite the runner," Paterno said. "Football-wise, he is a smart kid, and knows how to protect the ball. He knows who's open, and they've changed their game. They've adapted to what they have."

The numbers

Todd Boeckman vs. Anthony Morelli

Name.....Att......Comp......Yards.....TDs.....INT. ....Rating

Boeckman.....183.....120.....1,546.....18.....7... ..161.35

Morelli.....247.....147.....1,739.....13.....7.... .130.35

SteelCityMan786
10-27-2007, 10:32 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07299/828703-143.stm

Ohio State matchup showcases top LBs
Friday, October 26, 2007

Penn State and Ohio State have become linebacker factories, with each school manufacturing one great player after another.

The Nittany Lions and Buckeyes have combined to produce 24 first-team All-Americans in the past four decades, as well as multiple major award winners and Big Ten picks.

Penn State leads the way with 13 All-Americans during that stretch, ranging from Jack Ham to Shane Conlan to LaVar Arrington to Paul Posluszny to Dan Connor.

Ohio State has 11, including Randy Gradishar, Tom Cousineau, Chris Spielman, A.J. Hawk and James Laurinaitis, to name a few.

Connor and Laurinaitis are two of the best middle linebackers in the country once again.

The reigning All-Americans will showcase their skills on a national stage tomorrow night when No. 1 Ohio State plays No. 24 Penn State at Beaver Stadium.

"It's always a neat experience to see another linebacker play and watch his technique," Connor said.

But it just won't be the Connor and Laurinaitis show.

There will be several other talented linebackers on the field, including Penn State's Sean Lee and Ohio State's Marcus Freeman and Larry Grant.

"You will probably see four or five of the best linebackers in the country on the field at one time or another," Penn State coach Joe Paterno said.

Laurinaitis, a junior who won the Nagurski Award last season as the nation's top defensive player, and Connor, are semifinalists for two major awards, the Butkus and Lombardi.

Laurinaitis is the marquee player on a team that leads the nation in scoring defense, total defense and pass efficiency defense. He leads the Buckeyes in tackles with 64. He has four sacks and two interceptions. Freeman has 48 tackles, Grant 27.

"Competing against him is great," Lee said. "It will definitely push our linebackers to another level."

Connor, a senior who moved from outside to inside linebacker this spring, was a finalist for the Bednarik Award last season. He needs 23 more tackles to break Posluszny's school record of 372.

Connor is the leader of a defense that ranks first nationally in sacks, fourth in scoring defense, seventh in total defense and ninth in run defense. Lee, a junior from Upper St. Clair High School, leads the Lions with 79 tackles, three more than Connor. Connor has five sacks, Lee 31/2.

"They're tough guys, physical," Laurinaitis said. "They're great linebackers. ... I know definitely when our offense is on the field, I'll be watching Mr. Connor and Mr. Lee to see what they're doing out there."

Laurinaitis grew up rubbing elbows with the likes of Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair, Andre the Giant, Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake and Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka.

Laurinaitis' dad, Joe, better known as the Road Warrior Animal on the professional wrestling circuit, reported for work with a painted face, spiked shoulder pads and a body covered with tattoos. The younger Laurinaitis used to dress up like his dad on Halloween and put on his trademark makeup.

But all of that garb and disguise has been put in mothballs since Laurinaitis entered Ohio State in 2005.

"He's not wrestling anymore," Laurinaitis said. "He hasn't wrestled for a while. I don't know if it's a set retirement. I think it's just something that where his body has just been so beat up from it ... He has had at least eight surgeries and he can't even lift his right shoulder up above 90 degrees anymore."

"He's like a lot of our kids, very much like Connor and Lee," Paterno said of Laurinaitis. "He is a fine football player. He is very smart, very alert, and a very aggressive football player."

Ohio State coach Jim Tressel said the Buckeyes must keep a close eye on Connor.

"Connor's a great linebacker, like Laurinaitis," he said. "You'd better get Connor blocked if you want to move the chains."

NOTE -- Former Steelers quarterback Mike Tomczak will be an honorary captain tomorrow for Ohio State. Tomczak, who was the quarterback for the Buckeyes from 1982-84, played for the Steelers from 1993-99 and spent 16 seasons in the NFL.
First published on October 26, 2007 at 12:00 am

SteelCityMan786
10-27-2007, 10:33 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07300/829049-143.stm

Wells leads a potent Ohio State attack
Saturday, October 27, 2007

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. -- Ohio State's Chris "Beanie" Wells enjoyed a breakout game a week ago.

The sophomore tailback had 31 carries for 221 yards -- both career highs -- and scored one touchdown in the Buckeyes' 24-17 victory against Michigan State.

Wells averaged 7.1 yards per carry, and his yardage total was the ninth-best in school history.

He was the first Buckeyes back to eclipse 200 yards in a game since Maurice Clarett turned the trick against Washington State in 2002.

Wells was named the Big Ten's co-offensive player of the week, despite playing with a hurting left ankle.

"I'm not exactly sure what it is," he said. "It was a sprain in the beginning, but I don't know what's going on or how long it's going to last."

Wells averages 107.9 yards per game entering tonight's nationally televised matchup between No. 1 Ohio State (8-0, 4-0 Big Ten) and No. 24 Penn State (6-2, 3-2) at Beaver Stadium.

"He'd like to be the guy in the offense where he puts it on his back and that type of thing," Ohio State coach Jim Tressel said. "I think he's progressing. He's just a true sophomore, and he's a guy that's learning all the time.

"He certainly knows what to do with the football, and he's gaining more and more knowledge of what to do with the football every time he carries it."

Wells, 6 feet 1 and 230 pounds, has rushed for 863 yards on 149 carries and seven touchdowns.

He is the fifth-leading rusher in the Big Ten, but Ohio State and Penn State rank 1-2 in the conference in five defensive categories, including run defense.

"He's a very good running back," Penn State linebacker Sean Lee said. "A big kid, a tough runner. He's kind of in the league of Mike Hart and guys like him."

Penn State tailback Rodney Kinlaw, a fifth-year senior who began the season as the backup, is the sixth-leading rusher in the league.

Kinlaw has rushed for 728 yards on 141 carries and 6 touchdowns. He is averaging 91 yards per game.

"I've always felt he could be a good back," Penn State coach Joe Paterno said. "He used to drive me nuts because he didn't have any patience and he was always looking to bounce it outside and outrun everybody, which he did in high school.

"When he's gotten the feel going for 3, 4 or 5 yards, and maybe break a tackle by sticking his neck down and getting an extra yard, he has turned out to be a good solid back."

Beaver Stadium is a tough place to play. The Lions have won 19 of their past 20 home games and own a 5-3 all-time edge against the Buckeyes here.

"You've got to be calm and you've got to be poised and you've got to keep your focus on the task at hand," Tressel said.

A sea of white will greet Ohio State in the 21,000-seat student section, just as it did in 2005, when Penn State handed the Buckeyes their last regular-season loss, 17-10.

"It's unbelievable, hostile," Ohio State middle linebacker James Laurinaitis said. "Obviously, it's the best road atmosphere I've played in yet.

"I've tried to tell some of the guys that don't know or haven't been up there, that no matter what they've heard, multiply that by 10, because it's going to be insane."

SteelCityMan786
10-27-2007, 10:35 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/college/s_534815.html

The matchup: No. 1 Ohio State vs. No. 24 Penn State
By Sam Ross Jr.
TRIBUNE-REVIEW

No. 1 Ohio State (8-0, 4-0) At No. 24 Penn State (6-2, 3-2)

PREDICTION: Penn State 17, Ohio State 14.

LINE: Ohio State by 3 1/2.

GAME TIME: 8 p.m. today WTAE-4, WATM-23

Where: Beaver Stadium, University Park.

Radio: WEAE-AM (1250), Penn State Radio Network.

SERIES RECORD

The series is tied, 11-11.

THE SETUP

Penn State is playing host to a No. 1 team for only the second time in the school's storied football history. That instance was a 34-23 loss to Notre Dame during the 1989 season.

THE MATCHUP

Penn State wide receiver Deon Butler summed up the situation best, saying, "In the end, it comes down to football, but it's so much more than that before that." There is a lot of hype surround this game. ESPN's "College GameDay" crew will be in University Park, and the game is positioned in ABC's prime-time slot. But slightly after 8 tonight, the hype stops, and Penn State begins to find out if it's progressed from the team that made mistakes at critical junctures in losses on the road at Michigan and at Illinois. Quarterback Anthony Morelli has the opportunity to author what would be a signature win in his career. Ohio State is battling memories of a 2005 loss at Penn State and carrying the additional baggage of being No. 1 and wearing the bull's-eye. This is a chance for Ohio State to silence doubters, who say the Buckeyes are ranked No. 1 largely by default because of their weak early season schedule.

BOTH SIDES OF THE BALL

Penn State

Ohio State will blitz early and often, and how well Penn State deals with that pressure will determine the game's outcome. Morelli is looking to strike a balance between being patient and methodical, but he's also trying to take advantage of the opportunities for big plays that blitzes present. Injuries that have sidelined Nittany Lions defensive tackle Jared Odrick and fullback Matt Hahn are significant.

By the numbers

Anthony Morelli: 147-of-247 passing, 1,739 yards, 13 TDs, 7 INTs

Sean Lee: 79 tackles, 7 1/2 for loss

Rodney Kinlaw: 141 carries, 728 yards, 6 TDs

Ohio State

The Buckeyes have gone from a spread team last season to a more conventional setup this season. Quarterback Todd Boeckman leads the Big Ten in passing efficiency. Chris Wells, a 230-pounder, has rushed for 863 yards despite lingering ankle problems that force him to pay through pain. He was the Big Ten's offensive co-player of the week after rushing for 221 yards and a touchdown against Michigan State. The defense is ranked either first or second nationally in the four major categories.

By the numbers

Todd Boeckman: 120-of-183 passing, 1,546 yards, 18 TDs, 7 INTs

Chris Wells: 149 carries, 863 yards, 7 TDs

Brian Robiskie: 37 receptions, 728 yards, 7 TDs

NEXT GAME

Nov. 3, Purdue at Penn State, TBA

SteelCityMan786
10-27-2007, 10:37 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/college/s_534813.html
Penn State needs to play to its strength

By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW

Ohio State is the superior team on paper.

Luckily for Penn State, tonight's showdown with No. 1 Ohio State is being played at Beaver Stadium.

That alone won't settle the issue entirely, but it'll be a significant aspect of what transpires.

Just what kind of environment is it the Buckeyes will be walking into?

Consider the reaction chronicled in Friday's editions of the Trib to Joe Paterno showing up with free pizzas for students waiting to gain entry to the big game.

"It's like godly, being next to him," senior Christopher Saltares said.

Paterno may be the most detached head coach in Division I, but in Happy Valley he's still worshipped as if 1982/1986 was only yesterday.

His legions of loyalists will be heard from this evening.

The Buckeyes are in for a much ruder welcome than they received at Washington, at Minnesota or at Purdue.

And they'll be playing a much tougher team than those Ohio State encountered on the road previously or hosted (Youngstown State, Akron, Northwestern, Kent State and Michigan State).

Penn State already has taken on two of the Big Ten's better teams in Michigan and Illinois.

Although the Nittany Lions lost both games, they were in both to the end on the road.

That ought to mean something, too.

What might decide the issue, assuming Paterno allows it to, is defense.

Penn State's defense, while not quite the caliber of Ohio State's, is representative of the units typically coordinated by Tom Bradley.

The Lions' defense also is good enough to keep an attack led by inexperienced quarterback Todd Boeckman under wraps as long as the Penn State offense doesn't make things easy on him.

Like most big games, this one will be influenced significantly by the quarterbacks.

Penn State's challenge is to put Boeckman in a position to lose it rather than Anthony Morelli.

The required conservative approach ought to be right up Paterno's alley, assuming he remembers how such situations used to be embraced back in the day.

For Penn State, tonight should be about patience and perseverance.

It should be about running the ball and punting.

It should be about protecting Morelli and refusing to put him in positions where he's asked to do too much.

Jim Tressel is likely to be thinking the same way, and he'll no doubt be attempting to protect Boeckman as much as possible while trying to preserve the No. 1 ranking.

Michigan did the same thing a little more than a month ago, codling freshman passer Ryan Mallett through a game against Penn State by force-feeding the Nittany Lions a steady diet of running back Mike Hart.

Hart, a better back than any that will carry the ball for Ohio State tonight, was called upon a career-high 44 times for 153 yards, but his running didn't beat Penn State as much as a couple of lost fumbles and an interception did.

The idea tonight is to make sure Boeckman becomes the guy fumbling the ball and getting it intercepted.

Penn State's chance to win this game lies in refusing to lose it, by outlasting No. 1.

Make it 16-13, Penn State.

Break out the White-Out.

It's time to jot down another new No. 1 on paper.

SteelCityMan786
10-27-2007, 10:38 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/college/s_534817.html

PSU hopes to shine against No. 1 Ohio State
By Sam Ross Jr.
TRIBUNE-REVIEW

When Dan Connor reflects on Penn State's 2005 home win over Ohio State, his thoughts turn to Paul Posluszny.

"He was pumped up for that game," Connor said of Posluszny, the former Nittany Lions linebacker who now plays for the Buffalo Bills. "He knew that was a big one, and he showed up."

Showing up, shining on a national stage, that's the goal of players on both teams tonight, as No. 24 Penn State (6-2, 3-2) plays host to No. 1 Ohio State (8-0, 4-0) in an 8 p.m. nationally televised game.

Led by Posluszny's 14 tackles, which earned him Big Ten defensive player of the week honors, that 2005 Penn State team won, 17-10.

Duplicating that feat likely would make Penn State's 2007 season.

In 2005, the game was billed as a contest between two star-studded linebacking corps, with Penn State led by Posluszny and Ohio State led by A.J. Hawk.

"I remember that night, just kind of being a fan," said Ohio State linebacker James Laurinaitis, who was a freshman then. "There were a lot of great linebackers on the field."

Laurinaitis played only on special teams in that game.

The 6-foot-3, 244-pound junior has since become one of the best in the nation at his position. Last season, he achieved All-America status and won the Nagurski Award.

Battling the best
Here's a list of Penn State's all-time results against teams ranked No. 1:
Year Opponent Results
1937 at Pitt Lost, 34-7
1952 at Michigan State Lost, 34-7
1966 at Michigan State Lost, 42-8
1976 at Pitt Lost, 24-7
1981 at Pitt Won, 48-14
1982 vs. Georgia (Sugar Bowl) Won, 27-23
1983 vs. Nebraska (Kickoff Classic) Lost, 44-6
1986 vs. Miami (Fiesta Bowl) Won, 14-10
1988 at Notre Dame Lost, 21-3
1989 vs. Notre Dame Lost, 34-23
1990 at Notre Dame Won, 24-21
1998 at Ohio State Lost, 28-9
2006 at Ohio State Lost, 28-6

He leads Ohio State in tackles this season with 64 -- 5 1/2 for loss -- and is a key reason the Buckeyes are ranked first nationally in total and scoring defense and second nationally against the run and the pass.

"He's a great linebacker, and I don't use that term loosely," Nittany Lions cornerback Justin King said.

Laurinaitis will be measured in this game by how his production stacks up against that of Penn State counterparts Connor (76 tackles, 10 for a loss) and Sean Lee (79 tackles, 7 1/2 for a loss).

"You'll probably see four or five of the best linebackers in the country," said Joe Paterno.

Connor met Laurinaitis last year at postseason awards ceremonies in Florida.

"He seems like a great guy, and obviously, he's a great player," Connor said. "I have a lot of respect for him."

Despite the linebacker acclaim, this game, as is usually the case, is about the quarterbacks.

Penn State senior Anthony Morelli has led the Nittany Lions to three consecutive wins, including a shootout last week at Indiana that was clinched by a clutch Morelli-led touchdown drive late. He's completed 147-of-247 passes this year for 1,739 yards, 13 touchdowns and seven interceptions.

"I think that he does a tremendous job on play action. He can whip that ball," Laurinaitis said. "I think he's just a great player.

"That's where it starts; it starts with the quarterback."

Morelli has done his best not to get caught up in the hype of playing No. 1.

"I'm just going to treat it like we played Indiana last week," he said. "They're a football team, just like us."

Morelli's counterpart is redshirt junior Todd Boeckman, who leads the Big Ten in passing efficiency at 161.35. He's completed 120-of-183 passes for 1,546 yards, 18 touchdowns and seven interceptions.

"He's a guy who can sit in the pocket and pick you apart," Connor said.

OneForTheToe
10-27-2007, 07:32 PM
7-3 So far so good. Great start for anthony morelli.

SteelCityMan786
10-27-2007, 08:14 PM
Damn it, 14 Straight.COME ON D!

Hines0wnz
10-27-2007, 08:26 PM
Go Bucks! :thumbsup:

OneForTheToe
10-27-2007, 08:32 PM
Halftime. PennState O is going to have to score some. The D is playing better late in the half, but you are going to have to score more than 7 points to beat Ohio State.

SteelCityMan786
10-27-2007, 10:21 PM
This game SUCKED! No excuse for how Penn State played. They played a game that gets an F in my book.

OneForTheToe
10-27-2007, 11:26 PM
JoePa was correct with his halftime comment when He said the D was standing around watching O'State's offense. The D'line just got tired out, but the coverage guys seemed to be using the "maybe they will drop it approach." Seriously, somebody jump in front of the TE.

revefsreleets
10-28-2007, 07:41 AM
A few post game thoughts:

PSU was pumped and came out swinging. The first drive was impressive and definitely exposed OSU as being overaggressive and made them pay. Although I've seen worse offenses do the same on opening drives against the Bucks, I was worried that the Lions found some flaw in the defense. I'm still not entirely sure they didn't, but just didn't have the personnel to exploit it. Defensively, PSU was impressive, but the OL for the Buckeyes was outstanding last night. Boeckman had all day to throw the ball, and we all know that being able to pass opens up the run and vice versa.

The Big Ten will continue to be disrespected, and so will the Buckeyes, but I think most people here realize just how tall a task it is to go into Happy Valley on a Saturday Night with those fans and dominate like the Buckeyes did. I think that PSU team played well enough to beat 95% of the teams in the Country last night, but the Buckeyes are the real deal. By Bowl Season, I expect the Big Ten to do some real damage.

SteelCityMan786
10-28-2007, 10:35 AM
A few post game thoughts:

PSU was pumped and came out swinging. The first drive was impressive and definitely exposed OSU as being overaggressive and made them pay. Although I've seen worse offenses do the same on opening drives against the Bucks, I was worried that the Lions found some flaw in the defense. I'm still not entirely sure they didn't, but just didn't have the personnel to exploit it. Defensively, PSU was impressive, but the OL for the Buckeyes was outstanding last night. Boeckman had all day to throw the ball, and we all know that being able to pass opens up the run and vice versa.

The Big Ten will continue to be disrespected, and so will the Buckeyes, but I think most people here realize just how tall a task it is to go into Happy Valley on a Saturday Night with those fans and dominate like the Buckeyes did. I think that PSU team played well enough to beat 95% of the teams in the Country last night, but the Buckeyes are the real deal. By Bowl Season, I expect the Big Ten to do some real damage.

Unfortunately a majority of the 5% might be in our Top 10.

revefsreleets
10-28-2007, 03:48 PM
Look at the bright side. With Purdue, MSU and Temple left on the schedule, PSU will win out and get a decent bowl. Hopefully they draw an SEC opponent and play like they did last night.

SteelCityMan786
10-28-2007, 05:14 PM
Look at the bright side. With Purdue, MSU and Temple left on the schedule, PSU will win out and get a decent bowl. Hopefully they draw an SEC opponent and play like they did last night.

Yeah, but the only thing worries me is that Purude/MSU are better teams then a year ago. It will be interesting how they respond. Hopefully an Outback or Capital One Bowl is in our future.

revefsreleets
10-28-2007, 05:31 PM
Purdue is a good team, but they aren't as good as PSU. They have lost two games, one to Michigan and one to OSU. Penn State needs to play for pride and win that game to show that they are indeed in the same league as Michigan and OSU. MSU lost to Iowa, and Temple is Temple. 9-3 is a real attainable goal, and a good bowl win helps recruiting.

RoethlisBURGHer
10-28-2007, 08:58 PM
I was at a wedding reception last night. The groom has a lot of family from PA, so this wedding was filled with sports battles. Steelers-Browns and Ohio State-Penn State to be exact.

Well they played Hang on Sloopy at the reception and one of the groom's uncles who knows I am a Steelers fan was like "I can't believe they are playing this with all of us here, on the night the two teams play!"

Well then I joined in on the O-H-I-O chant and he was just looking at me funny. So I just said, "I am a Buckeye fan on Saturdays and a Steelers fan on Sundays, that's just how I roll homie."

He laughed and then we just hung out for a bit. it was a good time but my buddy Paul was salty because he's a Penn State fan and they announced the final score.

revefsreleets
10-29-2007, 08:33 AM
I briefly considered wearing my OSU Santo Holmes jersey with a Steelers hat to the bar yesterday to the game, but I know most of my fellow Steelers fans there are PSU fans, so I thought better of it.

SteelCityMan786
10-30-2007, 03:04 PM
I briefly considered wearing my OSU Santo Holmes jersey with a Steelers hat to the bar yesterday to the game, but I know most of my fellow Steelers fans there are PSU fans, so I thought better of it.

Yes, they would have beaten you silly. :toofunny:

revefsreleets
10-30-2007, 04:18 PM
Actually, they all know I'm a Buckeye. They were pretty gracious in the loss, and had lots of compliments for the Buckeyes. It was nice to deal with classy fans from the opposing team.

SteelCityMan786
11-03-2007, 07:11 AM
Actually, they all know I'm a Buckeye. They were pretty gracious in the loss, and had lots of compliments for the Buckeyes. It was nice to deal with classy fans from the opposing team.

glad to see you felt welcome by our fans. We usually are a lot more hostile to some(coughs Michigan Coughs).

SteelCityMan786
11-03-2007, 07:14 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07307/830920-143.stm

Penn State expecting another air raid from Purdue
Saturday, November 03, 2007

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. -- Penn State's shell-shocked secondary has been scorched for 571 yards passing and six touchdowns in the past two games.

The Nittany Lions won't get any time to rest. They will face another stern test today.

Senior Curtis Painter, the latest in a long line of record-breaking quarterbacks churned out by Purdue's pass-happy offense, lugs some pretty hefty credentials into Beaver Stadium.

Painter, 6 feet 4 and 223 pounds, has completed 237 of 377 passes for 2,420 yards and 24 touchdowns -- 11 more than Penn State's Anthony Morelli.

Painter has thrown only six interceptions for the Boilermakers (7-2, 3-2 Big Ten), who are seeking their first significant win of the year against the Nittany Lions (6-3, 3-3).

"He's impressive," Penn State coach Joe Paterno said of Painter. "He's a good football player. ... We will have our hands full. This will be a difficult game for us, because this is as good of a Purdue team -- sometimes your memory plays tricks on you -- but I think it's as good of a Purdue team as I've seen.

"It's an important game for us, and I think it's going to be a tough game for us. Obviously, whether we can handle the quarterback will be important."

Penn State also must contain Purdue's Dorien Bryant, one of 12 semifinalists for the Biletnikoff Award, presented to the nation's outstanding receiver.

Bryant leads the Big Ten in receptions for the third consecutive season. He is averaging 7.1 receptions per game, which ranks 14th nationally.

He is second in school history in career receptions (269), third in yards (3,347) and tied for fifth in touchdowns (21). He also is Purdue's career leader with 5,563 all-purpose yards.

Bryant and Painter figure to give Penn State's struggling secondary a hearty workout. The Boilermakers throw the ball 57 percent of the time.

"It sounds good in the media to knock on the secondary," Penn State cornerback Lydell Sargeant said. "If you look at Penn State teams from whenever, that's the way the corners have always been playing. But teams are starting to notice that and take advantage of the short routes."

Paterno said the coaching staff must accept some blame for the defensive backfield's woes against Indiana and Ohio State.

"We put our corners in a tough situation, we really did," Paterno said.

The Boilermakers' seven victories have come against teams with a combined 26-36 record. Their two lopsided losses were to Michigan and Ohio State, teams that also defeated Penn State.

Purdue's offense has scored 40-plus points in four of its victories. And in two others, coach Joe Tiller's team has compiled more than 500 yards of offense.

"A lot of teams are employing the spread offense, but Joe Tiller was the guy who brought it to the Big Ten, and it's been one of the best offenses in the conference over the past couple of years," Paterno said.

Tiller said he had to change his offensive philosophy before turning to a high-powered passing attack.

"I was always a power football guy, an I-formation guy," he said. "That's what I really like. I cut my teeth on a wing-T, so I liked that, too.

"But we learned in a hurry that this kind of [passing] offense can level the playing field a little bit. You don't have to be quite as dominant on the offensive line as you do if you're going to play power football."

Penn State managed only one sack against Ohio State quarterback Todd Boeckman last weekend, but the Nittany Lions still have 36 and are tied for second in the nation with Indiana.

"It's going to be a challenge for us to know what they're doing with their defensive line and with their blitzes," Painter said.

Tiller also expressed concerned over Penn State linebackers Dan Connor and Sean Lee.

"Can anyone tell me when Penn State has had inadequate linebackers?" Tiller asked. "I can't. It's certainly pre-Tiller -- and I'm talking Tiller's birth."

revefsreleets
11-03-2007, 05:45 PM
I was glad to see PSU beat the Boilermakers. MSU is currently beating UM, and regardless of them upsetting the Wolverines or not, PSU needs to stay focused and win that game. Temple is a tune-up game.

SteelCityMan786
11-03-2007, 06:01 PM
I was glad to see PSU beat the Boilermakers. MSU is currently beating UM, and regardless of them upsetting the Wolverines or not, PSU needs to stay focused and win that game. Temple is a tune-up game.

Not so fast, Temple is doing better then usual. It probably will be a PSU Win, but do NOT count out the Owls.

revefsreleets
11-03-2007, 06:10 PM
They were beaten badly by a not very good Ohio University today. Temple is just as awful as they've always been, but it was a good move for them to join the MAC. Penn State will win that game by 30.

MSU just lost, but it was an impressive performance. They will be a tough test for the Lions, but we need some good Big Ten teams to step up and represent!

SteelCityMan786
11-04-2007, 03:52 PM
They were beaten badly by a not very good Ohio University today. Temple is just as awful as they've always been, but it was a good move for them to join the MAC. Penn State will win that game by 30.

MSU just lost, but it was an impressive performance. They will be a tough test for the Lions, but we need some good Big Ten teams to step up and represent!

Yeah, maybe if we're fortunate, the Big Ten can 10 bowl teams.

Jeremy
11-05-2007, 09:11 AM
Michigan has stepped up after our tough losses early in the season. All we need to do is handle Wisconsin next weekend and then it's on to ruin Ohio State's season!

revefsreleets
11-05-2007, 10:54 AM
Ah, hope springs eternal in Ann Arbor. And Carr did beat Tressel once, so I guess anything is possible.

Jeremy
11-05-2007, 11:02 AM
Ah, hope springs eternal in Ann Arbor. And Carr did beat Tressel once, so I guess anything is possible.

And arrogance runs deep in Columbus. Sweatervest breaks three NCAA regulations before he's had his morning coffee, so I guess they should never lose.

revefsreleets
11-05-2007, 11:54 AM
Aha! Yup, Tress is corrupt.

What a joke.

Jeremy
11-05-2007, 11:58 AM
Aha! Yup, Tress is corrupt.

What a joke.

Yes, Ohio State is a joke. I'm glad you have finally seen the light. Maybe your good friend Jeff Gordon can come and give the Buckeyes a pep talk before they play Michigan. Just remind him that they're playing the game in Michigan Stadium, not Michigan Field.

revefsreleets
11-05-2007, 12:02 PM
Appalachin State.

That ends this.

Jeremy
11-05-2007, 12:03 PM
Appalachin State.

That ends this.

It would have, if you could have spelled the name of the school correctly. :flap:

revefsreleets
11-05-2007, 12:10 PM
Spelling smack? What's next, call me a fag and toss a Bud can at me?

Jeremy
11-05-2007, 12:15 PM
Spelling smack? What's next, call me a fag and toss a Bud can at me?

Bud? Please. I stopped drinking that watered down swill when I was still a teenager. As far as being a homosexual, I highly doubt that you are. Even if you were, I wouldn't much care.

And yes, I do use spelling smack. It's quite a bit of fun. And this has allowed us to almost totally drown out the Penn State fans, which is always a good thing.

revefsreleets
11-06-2007, 11:43 AM
I just mentioned Bud because it's the beer of choice for classy Earnhardt fans to toss at Gordon all the times that he wins.

SteelCityMan786
11-06-2007, 09:08 PM
Hey guys, Last I checked this was the Penn State Football Thread.

SteelCityMan786
11-10-2007, 07:18 AM
Paterno livid with return coverage
Saturday, November 10, 2007

PHILADELPHIA -- Penn State coach Joe Paterno is ticked off with his kickoff coverage team, and with good reason.

The unit ranks last among 119 teams in Division I-A heading into today's non-conference game against Temple at Lincoln Financial Field, surrendering 28.2 yards per return.

Twice in the past six games, the Nittany Lions have allowed a touchdown on a kickoff return.

"We had a long, tough meeting [Tuesday] morning about it," Paterno said. "It's one area we should be better at, and we've worked hard on it. We've got to do a better job."

Paterno had barely settled on the sideline a week ago when Purdue's Dorien Bryant returned the opening kickoff 98 yards for a touchdown. The last time that happened was Oct. 30, 1972, when West Virginia's Kerry Marbury ran one back 100 yards against the Lions.

"I wasn't worried about how our kids would respond," Paterno said. "I was worried about how yours truly would respond. I was ready to go punch somebody right in the mouth."

In late September, Illinois' Arrelious Benn returned a kickoff 90 yards for a touchdown in the first quarter shortly after Penn State had taken a 3-0 lead.

"We have kids on our [kickoff] team that don't know how to play football yet," Paterno said. "[Purdue] ran a touchdown back right up there, ran right by one guy -- I won't say who -- who is supposed to be a great football player.

"He's not a great football player. He's a heck of an athlete, but he's not a very good football player yet. We've got to get better football players on that coverage team."

In addition to the two touchdowns, Penn State has surrendered 1,156 yards on 41 kickoff returns. Georgia Tech, which ranks No. 1 in the category, has allowed 768 yards on 47 returns, a 16.3 average.

A year ago, Penn State permitted just 679 yards on 37 returns for an 18.4 average in 13 games.

"I can't ever remember having two kickoffs returned for touchdowns in a season," Paterno said.

Penn State does not have a full-time special teams coach, with Paterno dividing the duties among his staff. Safeties coach Brian Norwood handles the kickoff coverage team duties.

Maybe his bunch is feeling the pinch of the new rule instituted this season that pushed the kickoff from the 35-yard line to the 30. Of Kevin Kelly's 61 kickoffs, only 19 have gone for touchbacks. He is averaging 65.9 yards per attempt.

Fortunately for Penn State, Temple ranks 114th in kickoff returns, averaging 17.8 yards per attempt. However, Travis Shelton, cousin of Chicago Bears kick returning star Devin Hester, has 27 returns for 579 yards.

"It starts with the kick," Kelly said. "If I don't have a good kick, it just puts everybody in a bad position. The first two kicks in the [Purdue] game, they were high enough and I think they were deep enough, but I didn't get them over to the numbers close enough. It's just a matter of getting the ball in the right spot."

Jeremy
11-11-2007, 08:08 AM
Hey guys, Last I checked this was the Penn State Football Thread.

If Penn State hadn't become a bitch to both Virginia teams, I'd talk about them.

SteelCityMan786
11-17-2007, 01:16 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07321/834789-143.stm

PSU presents Spartans' last hurdle
Saturday, November 17, 2007

EAST LANSING, Mich. -- Michigan State finally became bowl eligible on its fourth try last weekend.

Now, the Spartans (6-5, 2-5 Big Ten) must beat Penn State (8-3, 4-3) at Spartan Stadium today to secure a bowl berth.

Returning to postseason play is a priority for Michigan State, which has not been there since 2003.

"We don't have to wait on somebody else to do something," first-year coach Mark Dantonio said. "We can control our own destiny here this weekend, which is the way we want it to be."

The Motor City Bowl, played at Ford Field in Detroit, would be happy to extend a bowl invitation to the Spartans.

However, 10 of the Big Ten's 11 teams are currently bowl eligible, and the conference only has seven guaranteed bowl tie-ins.

"Seven wins puts us for sure in a bowl-game situation," Dantonio said.

Dantonio, 51, was not born when Joe Paterno became an assistant coach at Penn State in 1950. Dantonio was the head coach at Cincinnati from 2004-2006, compiling an 18-17 record. Before that, he was the defensive coordinator at Ohio State from 2001-2003 and an assistant at Michigan State from 1995-2000.

"I think the new coach, who is a very, very impressive guy that I don't know well," Paterno said, "but have been with at Big Ten meetings, has got a lot of poise, and he's bright.

"They're maybe a little more organized, maybe a little more consistent, and they're in every ball game."

Even so, the Spartans still are the Big Ten's most unpredictable team. Their five losses have been by seven points or less, including two in overtime.

"I don't think their record really does justice to how good they are, and the type of players they have that can hurt you," Penn State middle linebacker Dan Connor said.

Michigan State leads the Big Ten in scoring, averaging 34 points per game. Running backs Javon Ringer and Jehuu Caulcrick are netting a combined 183 yards.

Ringer, 5 feet 9 and 200 pounds, is the starter. Caulcrick, 6-0 and 255, is the closer. Ringer is second in the Big Ten with 1,298 rushing yards. Caulcrick has scored a school-record 20 touchdowns for the Spartans, who rank second in the conference in rushing with 205.4 yards per game.

"One guy's a bruiser and one guy's a make-you-miss type of guy," Connor said. "Any time you face a big back, you've really got to be on your game technique-wise when it comes to tackling because they can fall forward any time."

Michigan State quarterback Brian Hoyer has been solid, completing 60.5 percent of his passes (193 of 319) with 14 touchdowns against five interceptions. And receiver/kick returner Devin Thomas leads the Big Ten in all-purpose yards, averaging 194 yards per game.

Hoyer, filling in for injured starter Drew Stanton last year, completed 30 of 61 passes for 291 yards and a touchdown in the Spartans' 17-13 setback against Penn State at Beaver Stadium.

Connor said the Nittany Lions, who likely are headed to the Dec. 29 Alamo Bowl in San Antonio, have to be wary of Michigan State's offense.

Penn State is tied for the Big Ten lead with Ohio State in run defense, surrendering 82.7 yards per game and fourth in pass defense( 213.1 yards).

"It's tough to predict what they're going to do, how they're going to attack us," Connor said.

Michigan State's defense has forced 18 turnovers and committed only 10. Defensive end Jonal Saint-Dic leads the pass rush with 10 sacks and eight forced fumbles.

"We're playing a very, very good football team," Paterno said. "It's Senior Day for them at home. I think we have to play well."

SteelCityMan786
11-23-2007, 11:14 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07319/834180-143.stm

Penn State football players charged in another fight
Thursday, November 15, 2007

Penn State's off-the-field issues won't go away.

Assault charges were filed against two players today and another will be issued a summons in connection with their alleged roles in a campus fight Oct. 7 at the student union building on campus.

Starting defensive tackle Chris Baker and backup linebacker Navorro Bowman were arraigned on charges including felony aggravated assault and two misdemeanors, simple assault and disorderly conduct. They were also charged with summary harassment and stalking, and a preliminary hearing was set for Wednesday.

Knowledge Timmons, a special teams standout, will be issued a summons by mail for charges of disorderly conduct and defiant trespass.

According to a statement released by Penn State, Baker, Bowman and Timmons "will not travel with the team" to the game Saturday at Michigan State.

Baker, along with starting safety Anthony Scirrotto, are scheduled to stand trial next month for their roles in an April 1 brawl at an off-campus apartment.

Baker is facing felony charges of burglary and criminal trespass, misdemeanor assault and summary harassment. Scirrotto is charged with a felony count of criminal trespass and a summary offense of harassment.

Baker started seven games this season, including four of five since the most recent incident, and compiled 37 tackles and 4.5 sacks. Bowman, who backs up outside linebacker Tyrell Sales, has 16 tackles, Timmons has 5.

SteelCityMan786
11-23-2007, 11:16 AM
http://gopsusports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/111907aab.html

Five Nittany Lions Earn First Team All-Big Ten Football Accolades
Seven Penn Staters Honored by Coaches and Media
Nov. 19, 2007

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa., November 19, 2007 -- Five members of Penn State football team have earned first team All-Big Ten honors, the second-highest total among all conference schools. A total of seven Nittany Lions earned all-conference recognition.

Penn State's five first team honorees were second only to Ohio State's six and the fourth-highest total in the Nittany Lions' 15 years of Big Ten competition. The only others years Penn State had more first team selections were in 1994 (7), 1998 (6) and 2005 (6).

Senior All-America linebacker Dan Connor (Wallingford) and junior cornerback Justin King (Pittsburgh) were selected first team All-Big Ten after earning second team all-conference honors in 2006. Connor?leads the league with 136 tackles and King leads the Big Ten with 17 passes defended. A finalist for the Butkus and Bednarik Awards, Connor is Penn State?s career tackle leader.

Also garnering first team all-conference honors were redshirt freshman punter Jeremy Boone (Mechanicsburg), sophomore defensive end Maurice Evans (Brooklyn, N.Y.) and junior center A.Q. Shipley (Coraopolis). Boone led the Big Ten in punting most of the year, finishing the regular season with a 42.2 yard average to rank No. 2. Evans is second in the league with 21.5 tackles for losses and third with 12.5 sacks, ranking in the top 10 nationally in both categories. A two-year starter, Shipley anchors an offensive line that has been instrumental in the Lions averaging 399.0 yards per game and leading the Big Ten in Red Zone success at 89.5 percent (51 of 57).

Boone, Connor, Evans and King were first team selections by the media and coaches and Shipley was a first team choice by the coaches.

Earning second team All-Big Ten honors by the media and coaches were junior linebacker Sean Lee (Pittsburgh) and junior guard Rich Ohrnberger (East Meadow, N.Y.). Lee, like Connor, was a two-time Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week honoree this season. He is No. 3 in the conference with 124 tackles. A two-year starter, Ohrnberger has been instrumental in helping tailback Rodney Kinlaw rush for 1,186 yards this season, the 10th-highest total in Penn State history.

Five Nittany Lions earned honorable mention all-conference recognition: junior tackle Gerald Cadogan (Portsmouth, Ohio),? junior defensive end Josh Gaines (Ft. Wayne, Ind.), junior placekicker Kevin Kelly (Langhorne), senior tailback Rodney Kinlaw (Goose Creek, S.C.) and junior safety Anthony Scirrotto (West Deptford, N.J.).

Senior quarterback Anthony Morelli (Pittsburgh) was selected Penn State's Sportsmanship winner.

The All-Big Ten teams were announced on the Big Ten Network's Big Ten Tonight studio program. The Big Ten Network, which launched in August, is available in more than 30 million homes nationwide.

Coach Joe Paterno's Nittany Lions completed the regular season with an 8-4 record and are awaiting their bowl destination and opponent. Penn State will be playing in its 34th bowl game under Paterno, who is the all-time leader in bowl appearances and wins (22-10-1 record).

SteelCityMan786
11-23-2007, 11:17 AM
http://gopsusports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/111907aaa.html

Connor Named a Bednarik Award Finalist

All-America Linebacker A Two-Time Bednarik Award Finalis

Nov. 19, 2007

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa.; November 19, 2007 -- Penn State All-America linebacker Dan Connor has been selected a finalist for the Chuck Bednarik Award, presented to the nation's top defensive player by the Maxwell Football Club.

Connor, the Nittany Lions' career tackle leader with 410 hits, also was one of three finalists for the 2006 Bednarik Award, which was captured by teammate Paul Posluszny for the second consecutive year. The award was first presented in 1995 in honor of former Philadelphia Eagles standout Chuck Bednarik.

Connor is joined by LSU defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey and Ohio State linebacker James Laurinaitis as finalists for the Bednarik Award. The winner will be announced during the Home Depot ESPNU College Football Awards Show on Thursday, Dec. 6 at 7:30 p.m. on ESPN. The award will formally be presented at the Maxwell Football Club's Awards Dinner on March 7, 2008 at Harrah's Entertainment Complex in Atlantic City, N.J.

Last year, "Linebacker U" became the first school to have a pair of Bednarik Award finalists in the 12 years the honor had been presented. Former Nittany Lion All-America linebacker LaVar Arrington also won the Bednarik Award in 1999.

A native of Wallingford, Pa., Connor previously was named a finalist for the 2007 Butkus Award and a semifinalist for Walter Camp Player of the Year. He also was a semifinalist for the Rotary Lombardi Award and a candidate for the Nagurski Trophy and Lott Trophy.

The former Strath Haven High School All-American leads Penn State and the Big Ten with 136 tackles (66 solo) for an 11.3 per game average that ranks No. 9 in the nation. He is second on the team and 10th in the Big Ten with 14.0 TFL for minus-61 yards. Connor is second on the team and 10th in the conference with 6.5 sacks (minus-50). He also has one interception, one fumble recovery and six pass break-ups.

Connor has 20 career double digit tackle games, including eight this season. He became the Nittany Lions' career tackle leader against Purdue on Nov. 3, passing Posluszny, who made 372 stops from 2003-06.

Connor made a career-high 18 tackles against Ohio State on Oct. 27, the most by a Nittany Lion since Posluszny had 22 hits at Northwestern in 2005. He also grabbed an interception in Penn State territory and made one tackle for loss vs. the Buckeyes.

Playing near his hometown on Nov. 10, Connor tied his career-high with 18 stops in Penn State's 31-0 win over Temple. He recorded 10 tackles in the first quarter alone and had 1.5 sacks to earn Walter Camp National Defensive Player of the Week and Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week honors for the second time this season. The Big Ten honor was the fourth of Connor's career. He also earned both honors after recording 12 hits in Penn State's 31-10 win over Notre Dame on Sept. 8.

Coach Joe Paterno's Nittany Lions completed the regular season with an 8-4 record and are awaiting their bowl destination and opponent. Penn State will be playing in its 34th bowl game under Paterno, who is the all-time leader in bowl appearances and wins (22-10-1 record).

SteelCityMan786
12-03-2007, 04:48 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07337/838754-143.stm

Lions' foe in Alamo Bowl: Texas A&M
Monday, December 03, 2007

Penn State and Texas A&M were both ranked in the national polls this year. But despite getting off to 3-0 starts, the Nittany Lions and Aggies suffered through disappointing seasons.

Penn State was 8-4 overall and 4-4 in the Big Ten Conference, finishing in a fifth-place tie with Iowa. Texas A&M stumbled to a 7-5 record and a 4-4 mark in Big 12 play, tying it for third in the South Division with Oklahoma State and Texas Tech.

The Lions, who lost three games by seven points or less, and Aggies, who dropped four of their last six, hope to add to their respective win totals when they meet Dec. 29 in the Alamo Bowl in San Antonio.

"I don't know that I would like to use the word redemption," coach Joe Paterno said in a conference call last night. "That sounds a little bit like you're coming back from the dead. We've played well. We've played tough. We were in just about every game we played, outside of maybe Ohio State.

"We've got a good team. It's been a good group of kids to work with. It's been a fun year. Redemption isn't a word I'm looking for. I just think it's a great opportunity for us to go to a city such as San Antonio and have an opportunity to play against a team as good as, and with the tradition, that Texas A&M has. I just think this is a reward for everybody."

Less than an hour after Texas A&M's 38-30 victory against then No. 11 Texas last month, embattled Aggies coach Dennis Franchione resigned. Defensive coordinator Gary Darnell was named the interim coach and will lead the Aggies against Penn State.

Former Green Bay Packers coach Mike Sherman was hired as Texas A&M's coach last Monday. Sherman, an assistant head coach who is expected to finish out the season with the NFL's Houston Texans, signed a seven-year contract that will pay him $1.8 million starting next season.

Darnell also was the interim head coach at Florida in 1989, posting a 3-4 record and taking the Gators to the Freedom Bowl. He replaced current Penn State offensive coordinator Galen Hall, who resigned as the Gators' coach after admitting that he had violated NCAA rules.

Darnell has had head coaching stints at Western Michigan and Tennessee Tech, but he said he's nervous about squaring off against Paterno, who will be inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame tomorrow night in New York. Paterno's 34 bowl games and 22 postseason wins are NCAA records.

"It'll be about the fourth time I've done it and there's been a pit in my stomach every time," Darnell said. "I think the easiest way to describe it is, 'This guy's going for his 500th game ... and I'm just trying to win one.' It's daunting, but at the same time, what coach Paterno and Penn State's done, it's an honor to play in a game like this."

Penn State beat Texas A&M, 24-0, in the 1999 Alamo Bowl. It was the second-highest attended game in the bowl's 15-year history, drawing a standing room only crowd of 65,380.

"We had a great time the last time we were down there. San Antonio is just a wonderful city and it's a great stadium," Paterno said.

"I'm hoping we can play well and give [Texas A&M] a good game. We've got a football team that's got a great following and I'm hoping we have a great turnout."

Penn State, which has carved out an 8-2 bowl record under Paterno since joining the Big Ten in 1993, has a chance to finish 9-4, like it did a year ago after beating Tennessee in the Outback Bowl.

Paterno hopes to have his entire team in San Antonio by Dec. 23 -- a handful of players will graduate the day before -- and Darnell said Texas A&M will arrive the day before Christmas.

"It should be a great matchup," Darnell said. "I can guarantee you we'll play hard."

SteelCityMan786
12-04-2007, 07:06 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07338/838960-143.stm

After 1-year wait, Paterno heads into Hall tonight
Tuesday, December 04, 2007

NEW YORK -- Penn State coach Joe Paterno grew up on 18th Street in the Flatbush section of Brooklyn.

Tonight, just a few miles from the row house where he was raised, Paterno will be inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame at an awards dinner at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in midtown Manhattan.

Paterno, who turns 81 Dec. 21, is one of two coaches and 12 former players who will be feted.

The official enshrinement ceremony will be next summer at the Hall of Fame in South Bend, Ind.

Paterno's immediate family will be on hand tonight, as will several former Penn State players, including Franco Harris, a first-round draft pick of the Steelers in 1972 who later was enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

"This is a great moment for coach Paterno," said the soft-spoken Harris, who arrived in town yesterday afternoon. "Not only has he had a big impact on the players at Penn State and the student body, he's had an impact on football as a whole nationally.

"Him getting inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame means so much to me. Out of all the guys who have ever coached college football, only a few make it here.

"It really is special. I'm very happy for him. He's accomplished so much in his career and this is just another piece to the incredible puzzle."

Paterno has been employed at Penn State since 1950 and has been the head coach since 1966.

He has a career record of 371-125-3 in 42 seasons -- a .743 winning percentage -- and ranks second in all-time victories. He trails Florida State's Bobby Bowden, who was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame last season, by only two wins.

"I'm indebted to college football," said Paterno, whose induction was delayed a year because his leg was broken in a sideline collision in a 2006 game against Wisconsin. "I appreciate what college football was able to do for me.

"I'm not a guy for honors. I'm always a little embarrassed by those things because so many people are involved."

Paterno will be inducted along with 13 others, including former Michigan defensive back Dave Brown, who played on three Big Ten championship teams at Michigan, was a two-time All-American and a first-round draft pick of the Steelers in 1975.

Brown, who died of a heart attack during a pickup basketball game in January 2006, played on the Steelers' Super Bowl championship team in 1975, then was selected by Seattle in the expansion draft in 1976. He played in Seattle until '86 and finished his career with the Green Bay Packers (1987-89).

After his NFL career, Brown served as an assistant coach for the Seahawks and then with Texas Tech until his death.

SteelCityMan786
12-04-2007, 07:07 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07338/839061-143.stm

Penn State football coaching endowment established

NEW YORK -- On the eve of Penn State coach Joe Paterno's induction into the College Football Hall of Fame, two longtime Paterno friends announced their intention to endow the position that Paterno has held for 42 seasons.

Patrick and Candace Malloy of Key Largo, Fla., have committed $5 million to create the Malloy Paterno Head Football Coach Endowment.

It is largest individual gift in the history of Penn State intercollegiate athletics.

"We are here tonight to celebrate Joe Paterno's legendary career as one of the greatest coaches in the history of college football," Curley said. "We are also here to celebrate the generosity and loyalty that he has inspired in the Malloy family. Their gift will ensure that Joe's legacy of leadership continues for generations to come." Paterno has been downplaying his induction into the College Football Hall of Fame for quite some time. The Malloys had planned to surprise Paterno, but athletic director Tim Curley made the announcement at a private Penn State reception Monday night.

During today's pre-enshrinement news conference, the 80-year-old coach admitted that he had a restless night yesterday the reception, which was, attended by 400 people -- including 150 to 200 former players. Franco Harris, Lydell Mitchell, John Cappelletti and Todd Blackledge were among the attendess.

Paterno also said "eight or nine" former classmates from his grammar school in nearby Brooklyn were there.

"It was really moving," Paterno said. "That's probably why I couldn't get to sleep. I needed to calm down a little. I didn't get much sleep. I woke up this morning and was shaking."

Paterno is one of two coaches and 12 players who will be inducted tonight during an awards dinner at the Waldorf-Astoria.

Also, former Steelers running back Rocky Bleier will receive the Distinguished American Award tonight, and Pitt announcer Bill Hillgrove will collect the Chris Schenkel Award for his long and distinguished career broadcasting college football at a single institution.

SteelCityMan786
12-28-2007, 09:11 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07338/839061-143.stm

Penn State football coaching endowment established

NEW YORK -- On the eve of Penn State coach Joe Paterno's induction into the College Football Hall of Fame, two longtime Paterno friends announced their intention to endow the position that Paterno has held for 42 seasons.

Patrick and Candace Malloy of Key Largo, Fla., have committed $5 million to create the Malloy Paterno Head Football Coach Endowment.

It is largest individual gift in the history of Penn State intercollegiate athletics.

"We are here tonight to celebrate Joe Paterno's legendary career as one of the greatest coaches in the history of college football," Curley said. "We are also here to celebrate the generosity and loyalty that he has inspired in the Malloy family. Their gift will ensure that Joe's legacy of leadership continues for generations to come." Paterno has been downplaying his induction into the College Football Hall of Fame for quite some time. The Malloys had planned to surprise Paterno, but athletic director Tim Curley made the announcement at a private Penn State reception Monday night.

During today's pre-enshrinement news conference, the 80-year-old coach admitted that he had a restless night yesterday the reception, which was, attended by 400 people -- including 150 to 200 former players. Franco Harris, Lydell Mitchell, John Cappelletti and Todd Blackledge were among the attendess.

Paterno also said "eight or nine" former classmates from his grammar school in nearby Brooklyn were there.

"It was really moving," Paterno said. "That's probably why I couldn't get to sleep. I needed to calm down a little. I didn't get much sleep. I woke up this morning and was shaking."

Paterno is one of two coaches and 12 players who will be inducted tonight during an awards dinner at the Waldorf-Astoria.

Also, former Steelers running back Rocky Bleier will receive the Distinguished American Award tonight, and Pitt announcer Bill Hillgrove will collect the Chris Schenkel Award for his long and distinguished career broadcasting college football at a single institution.

SteelCityMan786
12-28-2007, 09:11 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07339/839211-143.stm

Penn State icon Paterno enters College Hall of Fame
Wednesday, December 05, 2007

NEW YORK -- Penn State's Joe Paterno took center stage in his hometown last night.

The Brooklyn-born boss of the Nittany Lions finally was enshrined in the College Football Hall of Fame at a ceremony at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel.

Paterno, whose induction was delayed a year because his leg was broken in the 2006 season, was one of two coaches and 12 players included in the Class of 2007.

His wife, Sue, and five children were in attendance, as were several former players, including former Steelers greats Franco Harris and Jack Ham.

Paterno grew up a 30-minute subway ride away from midtown Manhattan, where he was honored last night.

"I'm a New Yorker," he said. "I'll always be a New Yorker. It's great to come back."

Paterno, who will be 81 Dec. 21, had been downplaying his pending enshrinement for quite some time. But he admitted yesterday that he had a restless Monday night after a Penn State reception attended by 400 people at a neighboring hotel. That event included 150 to 200 former players, among them Harris, Lydell Mitchell, John Cappelletti and Todd Blackledge.

Paterno also said "eight or nine" former classmates from his grammar school were there.

"It was really moving," he said. "That's probably why I couldn't get to sleep. I needed to calm down a little. I didn't get much sleep. I woke up [yesterday] morning and was shaking."

Also at last night's gathering, two longtime Paterno friends announced their intention to endow the position that he has held for 42 seasons. Patrick and Candace Malloy of Key Largo, Fla., have committed $5 million to the coaching fund, whose income helps defray non-salary expenses associated with recruiting and coaching.

Paterno, who said last week he hopes to coach "three, four, five more years as long as the good Lord keeps me healthy," joined the Penn State coaching staff in 1950 as a 23-year-old assistant coach earning $3,600 a season.

He worked on Rip Engle's staff for 16 years before succeeding the retiring Engle as coach in 1966. Paterno was a star quarterback for Engle in college at Brown.

"The biggest decision I had to make when I got out of college was my dad wanted me to be a lawyer," Paterno said. "I only got into coaching to save some money so I could pay off some debts we had before I started Boston University law school.

"But one day I called and said, 'Pop, I'm going to coach.' My mom got on the phone and said, 'What did you go to college for?' And my dad said, 'Whatever you do, have an impact. Don't waste your life just winning football games.' "

Paterno said the deceased Engle, who was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1973, had a big influence on his coaching career.

"I didn't know a thing about coaching," he said. "When I first got the job, I said to Rip, 'How do I start?' He gave me about six rules he wanted me to follow. He said, 'Take them, look at them and then come back to me with some questions,' which I did."

Paterno's 371 career victories are two fewer than Florida State's Bobby Bowden has accumulated. Bowden was inducted last December.

"I'm only sorry I wasn't here last year with Bobby Bowden, somebody I respect so much, and somebody who has who done such a magnificent job at his school," Paterno said.

Florida Atlantic coach Howard Schnellenberger said Paterno's accomplishments are admirable.

"He's got the best job in the United States of America, bar none," said Schnellenberger, 73. "He's a perfect fit, the quintessential coach in that situation. I can't see any reason for him to quit until God gives him an indication that it's time to step down."

Said Paterno, "If I wasn't coaching, what would I do?"
? ? ?

NOTE -- Former Steelers and Notre Dame running back Rocky Bleier received the Distinguished American Award last night and Pitt broadcaster Bill Hillgrove picked up the Chris Schenkel Award for his long and distinguished career broadcasting college football at a single institution.

SteelCityMan786
12-28-2007, 09:12 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07340/839633-143.stm

Penn State's Connor in line for two awards
Thursday, December 06, 2007

Dan Connor has racked up numerous tackles and honors during his four-year career at Penn State.

The senior middle linebacker would like nothing better than to add one of college football's major awards to his resume.

Connor is one of three finalists for the Chuck Bednarik Award, which will be presented tonight to Division I's top defensive player, and the Butkus Award, to be handed out tomorrow to the best linebacker.

"It's a real honor to be in the running for two national awards," Connor said.

He joins LSU defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey and Ohio State middle linebacker James Laurinaitis as candidates for the Bednarik hardware, which is awarded by the Maxwell Football Club of Philadelphia and will be announced during Home Depot ESPNU College Football Awards program.

Connor, Laurinaitis and Colorado's Jordon Dizon are in the mix for the Butkus, which is doled out by the Downtown Athletic Club of Orlando, Fla.

Connor, 6 feet 3 and 233 pounds, finished second a year ago in the Bednarik balloting to teammate Paul Posluszny, who also won the award in 2005.

"I think Dan's going to win one of these two awards, but I'm not sure which one," Penn State defensive coordinator Tom Bradley said. "He's had a great season. Anytime you do what he did and show the consistency he's shown over his career, you deserve an award.

"We've asked him to do so many different things in four years. He played inside as a freshman and moved outside, then back inside. He's been very consistent and he's never been hurt. He just does so many things well."

Connor not only is the Big Ten Conference's leading tackler with 136 stops, he is No. 1 on the Nittany Lions' all-time list with 410. He also has 14 tackles for losses, 6 1/2 sacks and an interception.

Outside linebacker Sean Lee from Upper St. Clair High School has been hot on Connor's heels all season. Lee is the No. 2 tackler with 124.

"He could easily be on all these lists and be getting all this postseason attention," Connor said. "But he's a real modest guy, it doesn't seem to bother him that much. In my opinion, it's a little bit unfair. He should be making these rounds at the end of the season."

Lee, a junior, isn't too concerned. He figures his accolades will come next year.

"I haven't really gotten too worked up about not getting the spotlight," Lee said. "Sooner or later, it'll be my turn to be somewhat recognized, but that's not a concern of [mine] right now."

Connor is considered a first-round draft pick.

"He has versatility and he can do a lot of different things," Bradley said. "One of the interesting things about him is how well he plays the pass. He has a real good feel for it."
• • •

NOTES -- Felony aggravated assault charges were dropped yesterday in Centre County Court against starting defensive tackle Chris Baker and backup linebacker Navorro Bowman. Baker and Bowman are still facing misdemeanor charges of simple assault and disorderly conduct and a summary charge of harassment for their alleged roles in an October fight at the student-union building on campus. ... Meanwhile, the trials of Baker and starting safety Anthony Scirrotto, who are facing charges for their alleged roles in an April 1 fight at an off-campus apartment, have been pushed back to early next year.

SteelCityMan786
12-28-2007, 09:13 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07341/839900-143.stm

College Football Notebook: PSU's Connor wins Bednarik Award
Friday, December 07, 2007
From local and wire dispatches

Penn State linebacker Dan Connor won the Bednarik Trophy as the nation's best defensive player, making it three in a row and four overall for the Nittany Lions. Linebacker Paul Posluszny won the Bednarik the past two seasons and linebacker LaVar Arrington won it in 1999.

"It's the reason I went to Penn State because it's Linebacker U," said Connor, who beat out LSU defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey and Ohio State linebacker James Laurinaitis.

Dorsey won the Outland Trophy as college football's best interior lineman. The senior had already won the Lombardi Award (outstanding lineman) and Bronko Nagurski Trophy (outstanding defensive player).

Tim Tebow beat out fellow Heisman finalist Darren McFadden of Arkansas and Oregon quarterback Dennis Dixon for the Maxwell Award, given to the nation's best all-round player, at the college football awards show at the Walt Disney World Resort.

Tebow beat out Daniel and Dixon for the O'Brien award, given to the nation's top quarterback.

McFadden won the Doak Walker Award for best running back for the second consecutive season. Texas Tech's Michael Crabtree became the first freshman to win the Biletnikoff Award, given to the top receiver.

Arizona cornerback Antoine Cason won the Jim Thorpe Award as the nation's best defensive back,

The coach of the year was Kansas' Mark Mangino, who led the Jayhawks to a school-record 11 victories and their first Bowl Championship Series appearance.
Wake Forest

Coach Jim Grobe will return next season to Wake Forest, having apparently rebuffed an attempt by Arkansas to hire him to replace Houston Nutt. The Grobe-to-Arkansas speculation started late Wednesday, after a private university fundraising arm approved a salary supplement for the Wake Forest coach.
LSU

Coach Les Miles has signed a contract extension that will keep him with the Tigers through 2012. The deal was approved yesterday by the LSU board's athletic committee, apparently ending any chance of Miles leaving for Michigan to replace Lloyd Carr.

SteelCityMan786
12-28-2007, 09:14 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07345/840751-143.stm

Penn State's King could opt for NFL
Junior cornerback from Gateway '50-50'
Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Penn State junior cornerback Justin King is considering skipping his senior year of eligibility to enter the NFL draft in April.

His stepfather, Gateway High School football coach Terry Smith, said yesterday that King has sent his paperwork to the NFL advisory committee to find out where he could be drafted.

King, who graduated from Gateway, will earn his bachelor's degree in letters, arts and sciences from Penn State Dec. 22, just 35 months after enrolling. He will play in the Alamo Bowl a week later against Texas A&M.

Many figure the postseason game will be King's final one in a Penn State uniform.

"I'd say it's 50-50 right now," said Smith, a receiver who played for coach Joe Paterno and the Nittany Lions from 1988-91. "Justin's got to decide if he wants to come back and pursue a master's degree for free in 2008, or whether he wants to get paid and test the waters of the NFL."

Smith said he expects King to make his final decision shortly after the Alamo Bowl. The deadline for underclassmen to file for the NFL draft is Jan. 15.

"When Justin comes home for a day or two after the bowl game, his mom [Alison] and I are going to sit down with him and kind of plot his course in life," Smith said.

"Still, this decision of whether to stay or go is strictly Justin's. He has to figure out what he wants to do. The beauty of it is that he will have something few other juniors do -- he will have his degree -- and I'm sure that will weigh in his decision."

The Sporting News rated King, 6 feet, 186 pounds, the best cover corner in the Big Ten Conference last season. NFLDraftScout.com ranked him the top junior cornerback in the country earlier this season.

But after struggling down the stretch, King has slipped to No. 8 in the latest rankings. He also has fallen out of the first round.

"We have him ranked as a second-rounder because he obviously gave up some big plays the second half of the season," said Rob Rang, senior analyst for NFLDraftScout.com. "But if you watch him on film, he has all the natural tools that get people excited.

"If he comes out, and I think there's a good chance he will, he could wow some people with his speed and workout at the NFL scouting combine and inch has way back up into the first round. He's a super talent."

King was a first-team All-Big Ten pick by the media and coaches this season. He is tied for sixth on the team in tackles with 44. He has two interceptions.

NFLDraftScout.com ranks senior middle linebacker Dan Connor as a first-round NFL draft pick. Senior quarterback Anthony Morelli from Penn Hills High School is targeted as a "sixth- or seventh-round" selection. Senior Rodney Kinlaw is the 26th-ranked running back, not projected to be picked.
• • •

NOTE -- Kermit Buggs, a member of the Penn State football staff since 2003, has been named the Nittany Lions' safeties coach. He replaces Brian Norwood, who was hired as defensive coordinator at Baylor earlier this week. Buggs is in his fifth season with the Lions and has served as coordinator of player personnel the past two years. From 2003-05, he was a graduate assistant coach.

SteelCityMan786
12-28-2007, 09:14 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07346/840953-143.stm

PSU's Connor earns berth on first unit

SteelCityMan786
12-28-2007, 09:16 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07354/843238-143.stm

Felony charges refiled against 2 Penn State players

Legal Troubles are back. UGGGGGGGH!

SteelCityMan786
12-28-2007, 09:17 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07360/844661-143.stm

Five Penn State players will miss Alamo Bowl
Wednesday, December 26, 2007

SAN ANTONIO -- Five Penn State players, including one starter, did not accompany the team to the Alamo Bowl.

Spokesman Jeff Nelson confirmed today that starting defensive tackle Chris Baker, backup linebacker Navorro Bowman, special teams standout Knowledge Timmons, reserve defensive tackle Tom McEowen and reserve defensive back Willie Harriott were left at home for various reasons.

Baker, Bowman and Timmons did not travel with the Nittany Lions to Michigan State for the regular-season finale Nov. 17. But Penn State coach Joe Paterno said earlier this month that Baker, Bowman and Timmons would accompany the team to the bowl game against Texas A&M, which will be played Saturday.

However, Paterno made that decision before felony assault charges were refiled Dec. 19 against Baker and Bowman for their alleged roles in a fight at the student union building on campus Oct. 7. Timmons has been charged with disorderly conduct in the same incident.

Baker and starting safety Anthony Scirrotto also are facing charges as a result on an April 1 fight at an off-campus apartment. Their trials have been postponed to February at the earliest.

Harriott, meanwhile, was cited for underage drinking in August and charged with DUI and speeding last month.

SteelCityMan786
12-28-2007, 09:18 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07360/844474-143.stm

ALAMO BOWL: Lions aim to rectify late-year letdown
Wednesday, December 26, 2007

It has been 39 days since Penn State squandered a 17-point second-half lead and lost to Michigan State in its regular-season finale.

But the Nittany Lions are still experiencing a hangover from that 35-31 setback Nov. 17 as they prepare to face Texas A&M in the Alamo Bowl Saturday in San Antonio.

"It left a bad taste in the mouth for me, the defense, and the whole team in general," All-American middle linebacker Dan Connor said. "So we are excited to get another chance.

"I think the guys needed some time off to freshen up and put the entire season into perspective. Everyone on the team seems excited to get another shot and to play in front of a national audience."

Penn State built a 24-7 advantage on the road against the Spartans less than five minutes into the third quarter. The Lions were outscored, 28-7, the rest of the way as the defense surrendered 288 yards, including 202 through the air, and three touchdowns. The collapse cost Penn State a shot at a New Year's Day bowl game.

Asked to describe the team's mood since the debacle in East Lansing, Mich., outside linebacker Sean Lee said: "Not good. It has been bad." He said the loss ruined his trip to Upper St. Clair for Thanksgiving.

"You just want to get a win and go home for the first time since August, which would have been a great feeling," he said.

Lee said he watched videotape of the game the day after and was "just depressed."

"The first half looked good. I watched the second half and it was just terrible," he said.

Although Penn State's defense ranks in the top 10 in Division I-A in four categories -- sacks (45), run defense (87.9 yards per game), scoring defense (17.6 points) and total defense (306.5 yards) -- the unit struggled during the second half of the season. The Lions allowed 31 or more points in three of the final five games.

"I feel like the biggest problem with us this year is that we have been a little bit off, and at this level, it gets magnified," Lee said. "We didn't make a tackle here or didn't have coverage there, and it added up.

"It is something that we need to get better at. We need to get more detailed like teams in the past, especially like the team in 2005."

A victory against Texas A&M (7-5) Saturday at the Alamodome would give Penn State its second consecutive 9-4 finish, but that probably won't silence the critics.

"I think we have a lot to go out and prove," center A.Q. Shipley said.

Penn State coach Joe Paterno believes his team will be recharged and ready to go against the Aggies, but he regards his opponent as formidable.

"I don't know if we've played anybody with more talent than Texas A&M from what I've seen," he said. "They look like they have awfully good athletes, great competitors. They run really well on defense. This is going to be a real challenge."

Much more was expected this season from the Lions, who were ranked as high as No. 10 in The Associated Press poll before losing to nemesis Michigan. Three of Penn State's losses were by seven points or fewer.

"We wanted to win them all; that is always our goal," Connor said. "But I think it was a good season. This bowl game is going to be big for us. We are excited about it and it's going to be the type of thing that can make this a memorable season."

Lee had a different take when asked if beating Texas A&M would save Penn State's season.

"I look back at the games we lost and see where we could be and it is frustrating," he said. "We are who we are and we deserve to be where we are because we didn't get it done in big games. It is definitely frustrating.

"We had some good wins and it has been fun. It is not necessarily saving anything. We want to end with a win. It would definitely improve our mood, especially after the last game."

SteelCityMan786
12-28-2007, 09:19 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07361/844734-143.stm

Penn State Notebook: Five PSU players out for game
Thursday, December 27, 2007

SAN ANTONIO -- Five defensive players, including one starter, will miss Penn State's Alamo Bowl game against Texas A&M Saturday.

Starting defensive tackle Chris Baker, backup linebacker Navorro Bowman, special-teams standout Knowledge Timmons, reserve defensive tackle Tom McEowen and reserve defensive back Willie Harriott did not make the trip for various reasons.

Baker, Bowman and Timmons missed the Nittany Lions' regular-season finale at Michigan State Nov. 17 due to their alleged roles in an Oct. 7 fight at the student union building on campus.

Penn State coach Joe Paterno said earlier this month that Baker, Bowman and Timmons would travel to Texas, but that decision was made before felony assault charges were refiled against Baker and Bowman Dec. 19. Timmons is charged with disorderly conduct in the same incident.

Baker and starting safety Anthony Scirrotto also are facing charges as a result of an April 1 fight at an off-campus apartment. Their trials have been postponed to February at the earliest.

Harriott, meanwhile, was cited for underage drinking in August and charged with DUI and speeding last month. No reason was given for McEowen's absence.

Baker started seven games this season, splitting time at left and right tackle. He had 37 tackles and 41/2 sacks. Ollie Ogbu started at left tackle in Baker's absence against the Spartans.

"It's tough to lose all those guys, but we'll be OK," starting tailback Rodney Kinlaw said yesterday. "Baker was playing great. He was having a good season."
Happy returns

A.J. Wallace finished third in the Big Ten Conference and 24th in the country with a 27.0-yard average on kickoff returns.

He managed a team-high 566 yards on 21 kicks while scoring one touchdown.

Wallace, who started the last three games at left cornerback, tries to improve his returns by watching film of Devin Hester, the Chicago Bears' extraordinary Pro Bowl performer.

"I just try to do that to get better, just to see what he does that makes him so good," Wallace said. "His plays can change the pace of a game for his team, or it can take the other team right out of a game. He definitely plays a big role."

Good move

A.Q. Shipley, a redshirt junior from Moon High School, was one of five Lions players named to the All-Big Ten first team last month.

It was quite an honor for Shipley, a former defensive tackle and offensive guard who is finishing up his second season as the starting center.

"It meant a lot," he said. "I've worked hard to get to this position.""It's tough to lose all those guys, but we'll be OK,. Baker was playing great. He was having a good season."

-- Rodney Kinlaw, Penn State running back

SteelCityMan786
12-28-2007, 09:21 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07361/844733-143.stm
Morelli's legacy: Shy, misunderstood?
As the controversial Penn State quarterback prepares for his final college game, he continues to shun the media
Thursday, December 27, 2007

SAN ANTONIO -- Penn State quarterback Anthony Morelli completed a hat trick yesterday.

The last three times the senior tri-captain has been scheduled to meet with the media, he has been a no-show.

He also was not available following Penn State's season-ending collapse at Michigan State.

Suffice it to say, Morelli has been elusive since last addressing reporters following a 31-0 victory against Temple Nov. 10.

He was one of eight Nittany Lions players listed to appear for a question-and-answer session yesterday at the Alamodome. But Morelli called an audible at the last minute and did not attend.

"All I can figure is that he missed the ride over here today," receiver Jordan Norwood said.

Morelli, a graduate of Penn Hills High School, has been a lightning rod for criticism throughout his college career, which concludes Saturday against Texas A&M in the Alamo Bowl.

Despite being the only quarterback in Penn State history to throw for more than 2,000 yards in back-to-back seasons, and having his name near the top of several key passing lists, Morelli is just 17-8 in two years as the starter.

In his 17 wins, he has thrown 26 touchdown passes and eight interceptions. In his eight losses, he has just three touchdowns and nine interceptions while eclipsing 200 yards only once.

Morelli also has finished 11th each of the last two seasons in the Big Ten Conference in passing efficiency.

"No one expects him to make a mistake," offensive coordinator Galen Hall said. "That's a part of the thing that goes with being a quarterback. You lose a game and you got to blame it one someone.

"Everyone has this high expectation of Anthony ... He's had a bunch of pressure on him, and I think he's handled it very well."

Hall, who quarterbacked Penn State to its first postseason win, a 7-0 victory against Alabama in the 1959 Liberty Bowl, was asked if Morelli set a bad example for his teammates by refusing to show up for the question-and-answer session.

"I hadn't thought about that," Hall said. "That's probably a good question that you people would have to answer in your own opinion. We don't think so. He's been a leader for us. He's a leader on the field, a leader in the football games. He's a leader of this football team. We're very happy with Anthony. There's not anything else there to even be discussed."

The knock on Morelli has been his inability to perform in the clutch.

Against Illinois, he threw three interceptions and lost a fumble on the final four possessions of a 27-20 loss.

And he failed to rally the team for a win against Michigan State, throwing four incompletions from the Michigan State 24-yard line in the final two minutes of a 35-31 setback.

"Anthony Morelli has not lost a game for us," Hall said, bristling.

"We've lost games as a group, an offense, a defense, and in the kicking game."

Norwood believes Morelli, who will play in the Hula Bowl Jan. 12 and has been invited to play in the East-West Shrine Game the following week, is misunderstood.

"I have a different relationship with Anthony than the fans and the media," Norwood said.

"He's a soft-spoken guy. He's kind of shy. He's not as outgoing as people probably think he is. That's just the way he is. Most people can't accept that."

A year ago, during a pre-Outback Bowl news conference, Morelli accused his old Penn Hills coach, Neil Gordon, and former quarterbacks coach Steve Russell, of spreading rumors about his ability to read defenses and his level of intelligence.

Morelli also said Gordon kept college recruiting letters from him and tried to sabotage his recruitment while he played for the Indians.

Now, nearly four years after changing his mind and signing with Penn State instead of Pitt, Morelli is cramming for his final assignment.

How will he be remembered?

"I'm sure there are lots of mixed emotions," center A.Q. Shipley said.

"I think if you look at all the things he's done, and all the stats, I think people, years from now, are going to say he did a heck of a job for us.

"He also had his ups and downs, just like all of us."

SteelCityMan786
12-28-2007, 09:22 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07362/844943-143.stm

Penn State Notebook: Norwood catches up with his dad
Friday, December 28, 2007

SAN ANTONIO -- Penn State receiver Jordan Norwood has been reunited with his dad.

Brian Norwood resigned as the Nittany Lions' safeties coach earlier this month to become Baylor's defensive coordinator.

The elder Norwood has been in town the past week visiting his son and family, who will move to Waco, Texas, once they sell their house in State College.

"I'm not really looking forward to my family leaving State College. I'm going to miss them, but I'm really excited for dad," said Jordan Norwood, a junior who has 40 catches for 484 yards and 5 touchdowns entering the Nittany Lions' Alamo Bowl matchup with Texas A&M tomorrow.

"I know what his aspirations are, he wants to be a head coach. He couldn't be working for a better guy than [Baylor coach] Art Briles, who's also a friend of mine.

"Having said that, I'm looking forward to coming back for my senior season next year and, hopefully, being a leader."

Kermit Buggs, a one-time graduate assistant, has replaced the elder Norwood.

Penn State head coach Joe Paterno said, "You hate to lose a guy like Brian, but I'm glad we had a guy like Kermit hanging in the wings."
Staying put

Offensive coordinator Galen Hall shrugged off rumors that he would retire after the Alamo Bowl.

"As far as I know, I will be back [in 2008] and I look forward to it," he said.

Hall, 67, joined Penn State's staff in 2004, replacing Fran Ganter, who became the associate athletic director for football administration.

Hall, who splits play-calling duties with quarterbacks coach Jay Paterno, said he has no timetable for retiring.

"The time frame will be whenever coach Paterno decides that may be ... no, we don't even discuss that," he said.
Steelers supporter

Penn State's Sean Lee never missed a Steelers game while growing up in Upper St. Clair. He patterns himself after some of the franchise's best linebackers.

"They've always played with a ton of passion and they've always been very physical and tough," Lee said.

"When I was young, I wanted to play like a Steeler all the time, especially with their linebackers in the mid-90s, like Kevin Greene and Greg Lloyd, and guys like that. Every Sunday, I was watching the Steelers."
Sack happy

Sophomore defensive end Maurice Evans had a team-leading 12 1/2 sacks in the regular season, but he was shut out in each of the team's four losses.

The school's single-season sacks record is 15, shared by Larry Kubin (1979) and Michael Haynes (2002).

"I just expected to have an average season, being a first-time starter," Evans said.

"So I didn't expect things to be like this at all."

SteelCityMan786
12-28-2007, 09:23 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07362/845031-100.stm

Paterno shrugs off 'death bed' remark by Texas A&M student
Friday, December 28, 2007

SAN ANTONIO -- Penn State coach Joe Paterno today shrugged off an inappropriate comment by a Texas A&M yell leader during an Alamo Bowl pep rally last night on the Riverwalk.

The unidentified male, who has since been sent home, screamed into a microphone: "Joe Paterno's on his death bed and someone needs to find him a casket."

The large crowd, mostly Penn State fans, booed loudly. Texas A&M interim president Eddie Davis and athletic director Bill Byrne later apologized to Penn State officials.

Paterno, who spoke at the pep rally roughly 10 minutes after the incident, said he did not hear the comment.

He will coach his 500th game tomorrow night when the Nittany Lions play the Aggies at the Alamodome.

"I didn't hear any of that, anything that went on," said Paterno, who turned 81 a week ago. "But I think everybody's got to take things with a grain of salt," he said today. "It's some young guy up there, and he's trying to be funny. Maybe he's accurate, I don't know."

SteelCityMan786
12-28-2007, 09:24 PM
In my opinion, the moron in question should expelled. I guess now I should start cheering more for Texas if something big in the BCS is needed down the line for Penn State when they actually experience one of them 2005's again.

SteelCityMan786
12-29-2007, 07:42 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07363/845290-143.stm
Alamo Bowl: PSU's defenders put focus on McGee
Penn State vs. Texas A&M
Saturday, December 29, 2007

SAN ANTONIO -- Texas A&M quarterback Stephen McGee plans to go deer-hunting a few days from now.

But tonight, he will have his sights set on Penn State's slumping defense when the Aggies (7-5) play the Nittany Lions (8-4) in the Alamo Bowl.

Texas A&M's offense revolves around McGee, a dangerous double threat.

The junior ran for a team-leading 858 yards, scored five touchdowns and averaged 5.0 yards per carry. He also threw for 2,147 yards and 12 touchdowns. He was intercepted seven times.

In all, McGee has accounted for 62 percent of Texas A&M's offense.

"He's a great athlete, a great playmaker," Penn State outside linebacker Sean Lee said. "He can make plays throwing and running. He's the toughest type of quarterback to play because he's not one-dimensional. He can beat you in a lot of ways."

McGee, 6 feet 3 and 220 pounds, threw for a career-high 362 yards and three touchdowns in the Aggies' 38-30 upset win against rival Texas in the regular-season finale Nov. 23, after which embattled coach Dennis Franchione resigned.

McGee, a two-year starter, is known for his hard-nosed style of play.

"He's not your typical quarterback in regards to trying to duck out of bounds to avoid hits," Texas A&M center Cody Wallace said.

McGee, who will have surgery for an unspecified injury in the offseason, chuckled after hearing Wallace's response.

"I mean, this is football," McGee said. "You don't sign up and not expect to get the crap knocked out of you every now and then. That's the sport we play. That's what makes it so fun. If you don't like that, then you probably should go play basketball or something, because you're going to get hit pretty good."

Several Penn State defensive players said McGee's scrambling ability is similar to that of Illinois quarterback Juice Williams. They agreed, however, that McGee is a much better passer. He is completing 57.7 percent of his passes, hitting 192 of 333 attempts.

McGee's favorite target is junior tight end Martellus Bennett, who has 45 catches for 541 yards and four touchdowns.

"[McGee's] a really good quarterback," Penn State cornerback Justin King said. "You can tell he's got great leadership skills and he demands a lot of his players. He is a presence on the field."

Penn State's depleted defensive line could have trouble putting pressure on McGee.

Starting tackle Chris Baker, who is facing legal woes, did not make the trip to Texas, nor did reserve Tom McEowen. Another starter, tackle Jared Odrick, was lost for the season due to a broken ankle earlier, as was key backup, Jerome Hayes, who suffered a season-ending torn ACL in his right knee.

Phil Taylor, Abe Koroma and Ollie Ogbu will rotate at the two tackle spots, just as they did in the regular-season finale against Michigan State, which Baker also missed.

"We're a little shaky up front," Penn State coach Joe Paterno said yesterday.

Penn State, which ranks ninth overall in total defense in the country and sixth against the run, will have its hands full with the Aggies' running game, which is rated 13th-best, averaging 215.6 yards per game.

Giant-sized tailback Jorvorskie Lane, whose weight is listed at 271 pounds, rambled for 746 yards and 16 touchdowns, and Mike Goodson added 646 yards and two scores.

"When Lane gets on the scale, it says, 'One at a time, please,' " Penn State defensive coordinator Tom Bradley said.

Bradley, though, will not be in a joking mood if the Lions cannot contain McGee, who is much more at ease with the media than Penn State quarterback Anthony Morelli.

"He sort of has that same posture about him as the Peyton Mannings and the Tom Bradys," Penn State defensive end Josh Gaines said.

"He has that same charisma about him."

McGee expects plenty of support from the record crowd at the Alamodome.

"This is a great opportunity for a lot of us, being Texas boys," he said. "I grew up in San Antonio, so I'm very familiar with this town. ... We're two hours from College Station, and it's definitely going to play in our favor."

Jeremy
12-29-2007, 09:47 AM
In my opinion, the moron in question should expelled. I guess now I should start cheering more for Texas if something big in the BCS is needed down the line for Penn State when they actually experience one of them 2005's again.

Yup, I mean it's not like Penn State students ever do anything wrong. I mean they never chant the F word at games or throw piss on the visiting team's band.

Oh wait.............

Stlrs4Life
12-29-2007, 07:42 PM
Man are we embarassing our selves in Texas. I knew we didn't deserve a bowl game. Right now I doubt that we could beat lowly Pitt.

OneForTheToe
12-29-2007, 08:18 PM
Man are we embarassing our selves in Texas. I knew we didn't deserve a bowl game. Right now I doubt that we could beat lowly Pitt.

On second thought.:banana:

SteelCityMan786
12-30-2007, 08:50 PM
Yup, I mean it's not like Penn State students ever do anything wrong. I mean they never chant the F word at games or throw piss on the visiting team's band.

Oh wait.............

When did they make the Death Bed Remarks on Texas A&M's Interim? Yeah Penn State's not much better from the Sportsmanship Standpoint, but i never remember them going as far as Deathbed Remarks.

Good win, but things are going to have to improve if Penn State is to claim A New Year's Day Bowl Spot or better.

Lord Stiller
12-30-2007, 09:52 PM
Yeah Penn State's not much better from the Sportsmanship Standpoint, but i never remember them going as far as Deathbed Remarks.

HUH???????????

Penn State is the cream of the crop when it comes to Sportsmanship. Notice how they never celebrate a play or after a TD? Sure they have had a few individuals get in trouble off the field but on the field they are very classy which all starts at the top with Joe Pa

Classiest coach and team in all of football (college or pro)

Good win, but things are going to have to improve if Penn State is to claim A New Year's Day Bowl Spot or better.

Wrong again. They were 1 win away from a New Years day bowl game. They lost close games to Michigan, Illinois and MSU. They were only soundly beaten by Ohio St. Now with Morelli leaving they will likely be better next season

Lord Stiller
12-30-2007, 09:54 PM

Oh wait.............

Awww, are you a poor little Pitt fan?

Well Pitt fans.........wait, nevermind they dont even show up to their games LMAO

Jeremy
12-31-2007, 09:50 AM
Awww, are you a poor little Pitt fan?

Well Pitt fans.........wait, nevermind they dont even show up to their games LMAO

No, but I don't bury my head in the sand when it comes to the poor behavior of the fans of my team.

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2008, 03:57 PM
HUH???????????

Penn State is the cream of the crop when it comes to Sportsmanship. Notice how they never celebrate a play or after a TD? Sure they have had a few individuals get in trouble off the field but on the field they are very classy which all starts at the top with Joe Pa

Classiest coach and team in all of football (college or pro)

Wrong again. They were 1 win away from a New Years day bowl game. They lost close games to Michigan, Illinois and MSU. They were only soundly beaten by Ohio St. Now with Morelli leaving they will likely be better next season

The Players don't do that. But the students do drop the usual stuff. Sometimes to an overboard level. Don't tell me I don't know what heck goes on at Penn State games. I go to 4-5 games per year. But yes we're a lot better in class then a lot of schools. We're a bit more hospitable then others.

Did you think I didn't know that? You realize 3 out of 4 of those games might have kept Penn State from going to the BCS as AT LEAST an at large team? Ohio State no surprise to me once they got hot I knew was going to be a tough game and it even showed after Penn State went up 7-3.

I think Penn State has the potential to be great in 2008 as long as they don't go mouthing off to the media and have the same trouble as they did this year with keeping out of the courtroom as the Defendant in cases. Spring Practice Fortunately is just around the corner.

Btw April 19 at last check is when the 2008 Blue/White Game is scheduled for.