I-Want-Troy's-Hair
04-07-2007, 12:33 AM
Hopefully Ike blossoms under Tomlin time will tell. :tt02:

Tomlin effusive in praise of Taylor

Subscribe
By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, April 7, 2007

Don't look now, but new Steelers coach Mike Tomlin and cornerback Ike Taylor are becoming joined at the hip.

Tomlin has made a point of singling out Taylor as a player the Steelers can't do without, one season after former coach Bill Cowher removed Taylor from the starting lineup for five games for giving up too many big plays.

Instead of giving up on Taylor, Tomlin is building him up. At last month's owners meetings, Tomlin presented his case for Taylor to the national media, and even ESPN draft guru Mel Kiper Jr. is singing Taylor's praises.

"Here's a guy who could be a star who fell back," Kiper Jr. said. "He needs to have a big-time year."

Now more than ever, Tomlin needs Taylor to be successful.

In fact, considering how Tomlin has already gone out on a limb in support of Taylor, it isn't a stretch to say that Tomlin needs Taylor to have a big 2007 campaign.

"That's coming from the head coach, so that means a lot," Taylor said last week while taking a break at the Steelers' voluntary workouts. "A lot of people are saying one thing, and Coach Tomlin is saying, 'This is what I think.'

"We've got a new coach, a new season coming up, and I'm looking forward to it."

Of course, the Tomlin/Taylor love affair could vaporize if Taylor doesn't uphold his end of the bargain and become a shutdown corner again. However, there's plenty of evidence to suggest that Tomlin, a former secondary coach at Tampa Bay, knows what he has in Taylor, despite his dropoff in performance last season.

Taylor is one of the biggest and fastest corners in the NFL. He's a 6-foot-1, 191-pounder with long arms who ran a 4.28 40 at his college's Pro Day. He plays left corner in a league in which left corners are hard to find and more difficult to replace.

Left cornerbacks are almost as important as quarterbacks and left offensive tackles. Because most quarterbacks are right-handed, their first look is to the left side of the field. Left corners are expected to shut down the other team's top wide receivers, who more often than not, line up on the left side.

Wherever the other team's top receiver goes, that's where Taylor goes.

Taylor is also the team's highest-paid defensive back. The Steelers have made a significant financial investment in Taylor, and it's up to Tomlin to unlock his talent.

"I've got all the physical aspects. It's just preparing myself mentally 110 percent. Fundamentals -- that's all it really boils down to," Taylor said.

"I talked with (Vikings Pro Bowl safety) Darren Sharper. He played with Coach Tomlin (at William & Mary) and Coach Tomlin coached him in Minnesota (as the defensive coordinator). It was nothing but good words coming from Darren. He said you're going to get coached.

"He's going to do simple things with you, but that's what people kind of look over, the simple things, and that's Coach Tomlin's philosophy. That's what's in my head from the last thing Coach Tomlin said: It's all about the simple things.''

Bad season or not, like it or not, left side or right side, Taylor is the Steelers' best cornerback and Tomlin's pet project.

GBMelBlount
04-07-2007, 12:47 AM
Good post IWYH

If Ike can avoid the mental mistakes this year, he CAN be a great corner. I pray Tomlin's "pet project" works out.

The Duke
04-07-2007, 12:49 AM
Tomlin did an excellent job with DBs in Tampa, he'll make Taylor just as good. Would be nice to have a shutdown corner in Taylor.

GBMelBlount
04-07-2007, 01:20 AM
Tomlin did an excellent job with DBs in Tampa, he'll make Taylor just as good. Would be nice to have a shutdown corner in Taylor.

Duke, he has all the physicalities, just needs to learn the position & avoid the mental mistakes, agree?

fansince'76
04-07-2007, 01:43 AM
If Ike can avoid the mental mistakes this year, he CAN be a great corner. I pray Tomlin's "pet project" works out.

Like shutting down Chad Johnson twice a year? Personally, I think there were extenuating circumstances that put Ike in Cowher's doghouse that went beyond Ike's play on the field. The whole D played like crap against the pass last year, and Ike bore the brunt of it.

The Duke
04-07-2007, 01:57 AM
Duke, he has all the physicalities, just needs to learn the position & avoid the mental mistakes, agree?

Yeah, focusing is the key

MasterOfPuppets
04-07-2007, 02:53 AM
so should this get rid of the theory on a cb in the 1st? i hope so...

stillers4me
04-07-2007, 07:32 AM
Me likey what I'm hearin'!!! :banana:

steelersfanman92
04-07-2007, 11:25 AM
Ike tries to play the run to much until he matures he needs to stay with the reciever longer and not bite on play action.

The Duke
04-07-2007, 01:24 PM
so should this get rid of the theory on a cb in the 1st? i hope so...

Hope so, every draft i see is CB Leon Hall. Seriously Ike will step it up :thumbsup:

Zachygrahm
04-07-2007, 01:47 PM
Ike, Bryant, Anthony, and Troy. Sounds like the soon to be best secondary in the league.
With Ike finding a mentor, bryant showing signs for a fantastic 3rd year progression, and we all know what Anthony and Troy are capable of doing. Deshea will definitely make at least a good nickel back. IMO we need to obtain patrick willis with the first pick in the draft. The kid is crazy fast and has amazing instincts. Someone who can plow the QB and RB and cover a TE easy. We can line him up at ROLB and MLB on passing downs. Ferocious D.

Preacher
04-07-2007, 02:44 PM
You know... I am still not convinced...

And let's it works out (I sure hope it does), what happens if we draft another CB, and have two shut down CB's? We force teams to play 3 and 4 wide. With that, we can double team the inside routes and shut those down.

That forces teams back to the run. And the run is the bread and butter of the Steeler Defense. Why do teams pass SO MUCH against us? Part of it is a somewhat porous defense. However, part of also is a reputation that you simply CANNOT RUN AGAINST US.

Therefore I say, if a CB falls to us... DRAFT ONE!

polamalufan43
04-07-2007, 03:16 PM
As long as Ike does better this year I have no problem with them being "Joined at the hip"
Who knows, maybe Ike needs a change of scenery/coach

Ike, Bryant, Anthony, and Troy. Sounds like the soon to be best secondary in the league.
Ferocious D.
I agree, it very well could be and sounds great to me.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

paw-n-maul-u
04-07-2007, 09:47 PM
This is a pretty weak corner class, wait till after this year to draft a corner if Ike doesn't rebound. This year's draft class is loaded with good DE's and WR's. That's what we should target in the first three rounds.

Blitzburger
04-08-2007, 04:14 AM
With Ike finding a mentor, bryant showing signs for a fantastic 3rd year progression, and we all know what Anthony and Troy are capable of doing. Deshea will definitely make at least a good nickel back.

Well said!!! Tomlin is a great secondary coach, and comes in to a situation with guys who already excell. with any marginal pass rush and our constant run-stiffling, I see a steel-curtain blanketing the AFC!

MasterOfPuppets
04-08-2007, 01:03 PM
Well said!!! Tomlin is a great secondary coach, and comes in to a situation with guys who already excell. with any marginal pass rush and our constant run-stiffling, I see a steel-curtain blanketing the AFC!
great secondary coach??? :jawdrop: minnesota was ranked 32 against the pass last year!!!

The Duke
04-08-2007, 01:29 PM
great secondary coach??? :jawdrop: minnesota was ranked 32 against the pass last year!!!

Yeah, last year, but before that in Tampa he was great. Maybe last year there were just bad players in minnesota :dang:

polamalufan43
04-08-2007, 07:06 PM
Yeah, last year, but before that in Tampa he was great. Maybe last year there were just bad players in minnesota :dang:

That's kinda how it was last season for us. Except we aren't really bad, there were just too many distractions, but tell that to any other opposing team's fans and see what they say,

~Polaamlufan43:tt02:

JuniorSteelerfan
04-08-2007, 09:23 PM
Good post IWYH

As long as he can avoid those big costly plays yea he could be a great corner!

Elvis
04-09-2007, 05:09 PM
If he must be a coaches pet to become the player that all of us had hoped that he would be, then so be it. There is nothing wrong with the coach being close to his players is there? I look forward to this season alot to just see how our team is going to adjust to our new coach myself.

polamalufan43
04-09-2007, 06:04 PM
If he must be a coaches pet to become the player that all of us had hoped that he would be, then so be it. There is nothing wrong with the coach being close to his players is there? I look forward to this season alot to just see how our team is going to adjust to our new coach myself.

That's what I mean, if it takes Ike becoming a coach's pet, then so be it. He can be that as long as he get's some INT.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

MasterOfPuppets
04-09-2007, 06:34 PM
kordell was cowhers "pet" ,and we know how that worked out. 8 years of misery!

slashsteel
04-09-2007, 07:28 PM
Not every project will end up as Kordell. Besides Kordell was a damn good slash player. It was his stubborness to want to stay just a QB that was his undoing.

As far as Ike he works out at the WWS paying for Coach Tom Shaw's services. The fact that he goes out of his way to train with extra programs in the offseason , shows he is commited to improve.

stlrtruck
04-09-2007, 09:52 PM
I like Ike (all of a sudden I've got a song in my head - "IF I COULD BE LIKE IKE"!), anyway, I digress. The one problem that I have with him is his inability to catch the INT!

So Ike - do your cover thing, shut down Ocho Stinko, and HOLD ON TO THE DANG BALL when it touches your hands.

GBMelBlount
04-09-2007, 10:13 PM
Ike tries to play the run to much until he matures he needs to stay with the reciever longer and not bite on play action..

Agree. gets beat too much.

steelcity58
04-10-2007, 10:14 PM
Ike Taylor is a good corner...one of the closest to a shutdown corner the Steelers have had in years...

He had "five bad games"...

I saw him have about 10 good ones...