PDA

View Full Version : Ricky Williams Coming Back Again???

SteelShooter
04-07-2007, 09:48 AM
This guy is like the Character on "What About Bob?"

"He's not gone! He's never gone!"

He keeps popping up every year. The said part is, whether it's this year or next....someone is going to pay good salary to this yahoo. :blah:

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/MIA/10112855

83-Steelers-43
04-07-2007, 11:35 AM
He will screw up again. All in time.

fansince'76
04-07-2007, 11:53 AM
The Dolphins didn't deserve the screwing over they took from this flake when he ran out after they built the team around him. However, if they take this clown back, they deserve whatever bad comes with it this time around.

Preacher
04-07-2007, 01:37 PM
You know.... sometimes even a preacher is at a loss for words.

polamalufan43
04-07-2007, 02:19 PM
^arent we all?

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

ben2hines=6
04-07-2007, 10:34 PM
he really showed me he had nuthin left when he got layed out by asante samuel.....hahaha what a clown, takes a spiritual trip then comes back 70pds smaller and is getting crushed by corners

SteelCityMan786
04-07-2007, 10:39 PM
Don't worry, as 83 said, he'll be gone soon.

LambertIsGod58
04-08-2007, 09:07 AM
I'm not quite sure what the negative energy surrounding Ricky Williams is all about. This guy is out of the league for marijuana use. Yet we have thugs like "Tank" Johnson, Chris Henry and "Pacman" Jones still in the league. They are more serious problems than Ricky.

fansince'76
04-08-2007, 09:24 AM
I'm not quite sure what the negative energy surrounding Ricky Williams is all about. This guy is out of the league for marijuana use. Yet we have thugs like "Tank" Johnson, Chris Henry and "Pacman" Jones still in the league. They are more serious problems than Ricky.

My issue with Ricky Williams personally isn't his weed smoking. My issue with Ricky Williams is his complete unreliability. A team spends two years (2002-03) building itself around him, just barely missing the playoffs both years (9-7 in '02, 10-6 in '03).

Going into the offseason prior to 2004, Williams said he was looking forward to helping the Dolphins finally get over the hump and back into the playoffs. Then he "retires" from the Dolphins less than a week before '04 training camp, to move onto "bigger and better things." The Dolphins as a team have yet to recover.

The guy is a punk quitter, and I'd hate to be the GM that takes a chance on him just to have him leave, presumably to go "find himself" again. If I were in the Dolphins' FO, I simply wouldn't be willing to take another chance on him at this point, especially since he'll be 30 on opening day. A low-mileage 30, but 30 nonetheless.

I realize the possible connection of the weed smoking to his abrupt "retirement," but I always thought there was more to it.

Just a little reminder of what a quitter he is: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1846361

vasteeler
04-09-2007, 12:28 PM
he really showed me he had nuthin left when he got layed out by asante samuel.....hahaha what a clown, takes a spiritual trip then comes back 70pds smaller and is getting crushed by corners

how do you lose 70 lbs smoking weed i usually gain lbs, he needs a new dealer :cheers:

stlrtruck
04-09-2007, 02:30 PM
Because he was in the wild and had nothing to feed that "craving" you get after a good one!

memphissteelergirl
04-09-2007, 02:34 PM
Hmmm....that old expression about a bad penny curiously comes to mind. :rolleyes:

Elvis
04-09-2007, 04:26 PM
Everyone deserves a chance.. but he has had plenty already. If I were a GM then I would stay away from someone like the likes of him.:coffee:

Jeremy
04-09-2007, 04:32 PM
The Cardinal Rule of football is that if you have talent, you'll find a place to play. Ricky Williams will find somewhere to play, it could the NFL, AFL, Arena League, etc. You can take that to the bank.

RoethlisBURGHer
04-09-2007, 07:09 PM
I don't think the Dolphins will take another chance on him,but I am sur they'll trade his rights away if the NFL reinstates him.

ChronoCross
04-09-2007, 07:22 PM
I don't think the Dolphins will take another chance on him,but I am sur they'll trade his rights away if the NFL reinstates him.

Actually Smoke a Dope Williams still owes a bit on the 8 Mil he still owes the team. So he has to play a few more years under contract for the dolphins at league minimum. Unless of course the Dolphins right it off and forget about it.

RoethlisBURGHer
04-10-2007, 07:38 AM
Actually Smoke a Dope Williams still owes a bit on the 8 Mil he still owes the team. So he has to play a few more years under contract for the dolphins at league minimum. Unless of course the Dolphins right it off and forget about it.

There is a good chance that'll happen.I don't think the owner wants him on the team anymore.And as long as he's playing somewhere,the 'Phins can get thier money back.

Jeremy
04-10-2007, 09:40 AM
There is a good chance that'll happen.I don't think the owner wants him on the team anymore.And as long as he's playing somewhere,the 'Phins can get thier money back.

If you think H Wayne will for give that much money, you must be smoking the same stuff as Ricky.

fugawzi
04-16-2007, 07:45 PM
wow, I guess the weed jokes never get old huh? especially when he DOESNT SMOKE ANYMORE and HASNT FOR YEARS. It's funny, I never hear anyone ridicule him for being on Paxil, or for pushing the drug in ads. Paxil, an "anti-depressant/anxiety disorder" drug. Sounds a lot like pharmaceutical marijuana to me. Only it comes prescribed from a doctor and its legal, so it must be good for you...right? But im not here to debate drugs. If anyone saw Ricky play in' 05, you would know he looked VERY good after his off year. He only played 12 games that year, was the number 2 running back behind Ronnie Brown, and still managed to get 743 yards for the year. The 2 combined rushed for over 1500 yards, despite both Ronnie and Ricky missing multiple games that year. And most people know Miami's O-line has been mediocre at best the last couple of years. So, with Ricky returning this year, to split carries with Ronnie Brown, and the 2 running behind the punishing FB Cory Schlesinger, Miami's rush attack could be among the most dangerous if they can manage to stay healthy.

stlrtruck
04-17-2007, 08:20 AM
wow, I guess the weed jokes never get old huh? especially when he DOESNT SMOKE ANYMORE and HASNT FOR YEARS. It's funny, I never hear anyone ridicule him for being on Paxil, or for pushing the drug in ads. Paxil, an "anti-depressant/anxiety disorder" drug. Sounds a lot like pharmaceutical marijuana to me. Only it comes prescribed from a doctor and its legal, so it must be good for you...right? But im not here to debate drugs. If anyone saw Ricky play in' 05, you would know he looked VERY good after his off year. He only played 12 games that year, was the number 2 running back behind Ronnie Brown, and still managed to get 743 yards for the year. The 2 combined rushed for over 1500 yards, despite both Ronnie and Ricky missing multiple games that year. And most people know Miami's O-line has been mediocre at best the last couple of years. So, with Ricky returning this year, to split carries with Ronnie Brown, and the 2 running behind the punishing FB Cory Schlesinger, Miami's rush attack could be among the most dangerous if they can manage to stay healthy.

I don't think anyone is judging his abilities as an athlete. Their judging his character.

First - he retires right before the draft leaving his team and teammates in a tough position
Second - he is reinstated into the league only to fail a piss test and be banned again

People are waiting for the other shoe to drop (almost as if he were a bungle) - so what will he do next? How many chances does he deserve? Would my employer give me multiple chances after I was banned the first time? I think not so why should he get anything above what a non-athlete would get? He shouldn't, no one should!

Don't get me wrong, I believe people can make amends but eventually you've got to cut your loses and move on.

Cape Cod Steel Head
04-17-2007, 08:27 AM
I hope he doesn't try to smuggle any of that BC. bud into the states.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-17-2007, 09:28 AM
=fugawzi;238378]wow, I guess the weed jokes never get old huh?

Well...actually...no.

especially when he DOESNT SMOKE ANYMORE and HASNT FOR YEARS.

...uh ...yeah....and neither does Woody Harrelson

It's funny, I never hear anyone ridicule him for being on Paxil, or for pushing the drug in ads. Paxil, an "anti-depressant/anxiety disorder" drug. Sounds a lot like pharmaceutical marijuana to me. Only it comes prescribed from a doctor and its legal, so it must be good for you...right?

Of course...a legal drug to deal with depression is EXACTLY like an illegal drug which has "depression" listed as one of its side effects:dang:

But im not here to debate drugs.

..and that is not how it is coming across (:wink02: )

If anyone saw Ricky play in' 05, you would know he looked VERY good after his off year.... He only played 12 games that year..... despite Ricky missing multiple games that year.

Do you see how those these facts contradict each other?...

And most people know Miami's O-line has been mediocre at best the last couple of years. So, with Ricky returning this year, to split carries with Ronnie Brown, and the 2 running behind the punishing FB Cory Schlesinger, Miami's rush attack could be among the most dangerous if they can manage to stay healthy

If he can stay: healthy.....sober.....away from 4 bags of doritos at 3 a.m.....Hey!!! I was right..it never does get old!!!

stlrtruck
04-17-2007, 12:23 PM
Hey!!! I was right..it never does get old!!!

Was there ever a question if it gets old.

Q: How do you get Ricky Williams to run for a TD?
A: Put a packed bong in the endzone!

Q: How do you get Ricky Williams to hold on to the ball?
A: Tell him it's stuffed with Columbian Gold!

I'm sorry Lord, those weren't right. Funny, but not right!

fugawzi
04-17-2007, 04:06 PM
Well I guess when you're really immature and live in the past...the weed jokes never get old. Fair enough.

...uh ...yeah....and neither does Woody Harrelson

I have NO idea what this has to do with anything, especially football or Ricky Williams. The difference between Woody Harrelson and Ricky is that Ricky gets a visit by NFL representatives who collect his urine once a week, at least. Ricky also has to notify the NFL if he plans to travel. So, I think it's pretty safe to say Ricky doesn't smoke weed anymore. That will be confirmed when he gets reinstated in the next couple of weeks.

Of course...a legal drug to deal with depression is EXACTLY like an illegal drug which has "depression" listed as one of its side effects

The point is that whether the drug is legal, or illegal it's still a drug. Neither Paxil, nor Marijuana have any kind of effect on Ricky's play, in terms of 'enhancing' his performance. But you won't hear people ridiculing him for Paxil because it's legal. And Please show me where it is "listed" that depression is a side-effect of smoking weed. I'd like to see that. Probably on the "partnership for a drug free America" website. Both paxil, and marijuana are drugs, which by definition are substances that are used as a medicine or narcotic. So yes, it is exactly like being on Paxil. Makes you feel different. Here's a great article on another hypocrisy in the NFL regarding drugs, and Ricky Williams

ww.aolsportsblog.com/2007/04/06/nfl-rules-ricky-williams-can-use-painkillers-not-pot/

Do you see how those these facts contradict each other?...

I think you read my post wrong. Go back and look at what I was saying. Ricky and Ronnie combined for over 1500 yards in '05, (the year after Ricky's year off) and they both missed multiple games in '05. So where's the contradiction? It looks like you jus chopped and edited my sentence....that quote isnt even what i wrote.

If he can stay: healthy.....sober.....away from 4 bags of doritos at 3 a.m.....Hey!!! I was right..it never does get old!!!

Once again, tasteless, and very immature. And thanks for reinforcing my point that weed is pretty harmless and leads to things like....GETTING HUNGRY...oh no, we can't have that in the NFL can we???

fugawzi
04-17-2007, 04:25 PM
one more thing...Ricky "retired" right before TRAINING CAMP, not the draft. (not that it's any better, I'm sure the Fins would rather he walk out before the draft) and yes, he did leave his teammates in a tough position that year. He was never "Banned". He was suspended for 4 games. Then suspended for a year. If he was banned he wouldn't be applying for reinstatement. If your employer was the NFL then you would get as many chances as the NFL allows, just like Ricky has. So he's not really getting "anything above what a non-athlete would get". The NFL made their drug policy, and Ricky has not merited being banned according to that policy. Not yet anyway. I don't know what the substance was that caused him to fail his last drug test, which was in 2006 (OVER A YEAR AGO!!!) but it wasn't weed.

stlrtruck
04-18-2007, 07:58 AM
Sorry, I must have gotten my dates mixed up. You are right it was just before training camp. And again, I chose the wrong word when I typed "banned". However, it doesn't hide the fact that the man has no accountability.

The last test he never took. He missed it, and therefore was suspended. The man is a joke as a team mate and as a representative of the NFL in general. But he is one of the many new poster children for what is wrong in the NFL. Maybe the dolphins can trade him to Cinci - at least he'd be on a team with other "suspended" players.

Honestly, the man should do himself, the league, and whatever team he "could" play for a favor - stay away!

HometownGal
04-18-2007, 09:12 AM
Once again, tasteless, and very immature. And thanks for reinforcing my point that weed is pretty harmless and leads to things like....GETTING HUNGRY...oh no, we can't have that in the NFL can we???

fugawzi - please try to be a bit more respectful here, k? We're not all going to agree on this topic and a little light-hearted fun is about as harmless as well - hittin' the bong! :wink02: :flap:

There is a huge difference between weed and Paxil. At the present time, Paxil is legal, marijuana is not.

Ricky Williams has been suspended FOUR times by the NFL for substance abuse. Imho - he's either as dumb as a bag of hammers or simply can't kick the habit. He knows the NFL's rules and regs but he continued to violate them. How many chances can you give someone who obviously isn't getting the message or just doesn't care???

Just say NO to Ricky Williams.

floodcitygirl
04-18-2007, 09:52 AM
But he is one of the many new poster children for what is wrong in the NFL. Maybe the dolphins can trade him to Cinci - at least he'd be on a team with other "suspended" players.

Oh....sure!!!!!! Send him on down here to Cincy! We don't have enough stoned and drunk NFL players driving around here! :dang: :sofunny:

Crushzilla
04-18-2007, 10:36 AM
The key here is the fact that he is 30. He has not met up to the hype about him out of college... sometimes big time college players can not, it happens. But then he falls into this weird depression about it and blows his career in the NFL away. That's the truth. He had plenty of opprotunities to right himself and he failed on a massive level.

Its also true that he had a pretty good season with Ronnie Brown in '05 and there is no doubt that he still has the athleticism to be a good one-two punch on a team that could probably use it.

The fact remains that this guy has blown it. Plain and simple. The drugs are just ONE of the reasons. The Dolphins shouldn't keep pursuing it, they've been burned (pun initionally unintended, but what the hell) by this guy too many times. They should keep away.

The Dolphins were a team that at this time last year many considered to be a team with a lot of potential. Move forward Wayne, not backward...

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-18-2007, 10:50 AM
Well I guess when you're really immature and live in the past...the weed jokes never get old. Fair enough.

I have NO idea what this has to do with anything, especially football or Ricky Williams. The difference between Woody Harrelson and Ricky is that Ricky gets a visit by NFL representatives who collect his urine once a week, at least. Ricky also has to notify the NFL if he plans to travel. So, I think it's pretty safe to say Ricky doesn't smoke weed anymore. That will be confirmed when he gets reinstated in the next couple of weeks.

The point is that whether the drug is legal, or illegal it's still a drug. Neither Paxil, nor Marijuana have any kind of effect on Ricky's play, in terms of 'enhancing' his performance. But you won't hear people ridiculing him for Paxil because it's legal. And Please show me where it is "listed" that depression is a side-effect of smoking weed. I'd like to see that. Probably on the "partnership for a drug free America" website. Both paxil, and marijuana are drugs, which by definition are substances that are used as a medicine or narcotic. So yes, it is exactly like being on Paxil. Makes you feel different. Here's a great article on another hypocrisy in the NFL regarding drugs, and Ricky Williams

ww.aolsportsblog.com/2007/04/06/nfl-rules-ricky-williams-can-use-painkillers-not-pot/

I think you read my post wrong. Go back and look at what I was saying. Ricky and Ronnie combined for over 1500 yards in '05, (the year after Ricky's year off) and they both missed multiple games in '05. So where's the contradiction? It looks like you jus chopped and edited my sentence....that quote isnt even what i wrote.

Those here who know me... know that I work for the local law enforcement agency...so if you would like to see how harmless Marijuana is....Please come to my county...I would be happy to show you pictures of drivers killed while under the influence...and if you would like to bring weed with you ....I would be happy to show you how "harmless" our local facilities are:dang: :dang: ...and by the way....immaturity could better be defined as being aggressive on a BB that you have belonged to for a VERY short time...16 posts into it...and already calling names....yep....your a keeper.

fansince'76
04-18-2007, 11:57 AM

Those here who know me... know that I work for the local law enforcement agency...so if you would like to see how harmless Marijuana is....Please come to my county...I would be happy to show you pictures of drivers killed while under the influence...and if you would like to bring weed with you ....I would be happy to show you how "harmless" our local facilities are:dang: :dang: ...and by the way....immaturity could better be defined as being aggressive on a BB that you have belonged to for a VERY short time...16 posts into it...and already calling names....yep....your a keeper.

OK folks, you both made your points - please keep it civil. Thanks. :smile:

fugawzi
04-18-2007, 07:35 PM
I wasn't being disrespectful, nor did I call anyone names. I was simply stating my opinion, which is what I thought these boards are for. But ok, I apologize if I did offend anyone. And after this post I won't post on this thread anymore. I'll just say my peace here and bow out...

Those here who know me... know that I work for the local law enforcement agency

and??????

We're not all going to agree on this topic and a little light-hearted fun is about as harmless as well - hittin' the bong!

I agree with you 100 percent here. But don't let "lamberts-lost-tooth" hear you say that...he works in Law enforcement. :sofunny: (just a little "light-hearted humor")

There is a huge difference between weed and Paxil. At the present time, Paxil is legal, marijuana is not.

That is a huge difference, it's the only difference but still a huge one.

Ricky Williams has been suspended FOUR times by the NFL for substance abuse.

I believe he's only been suspended TWICE by the NFL for substance abuse. Once for 4 games, and the second for the entire 2004 season. Only one suspension was related to marijuana. He's "kicked the habit" for years now. He'll get as many chances as the NFL allows. It's not his fault if the league hasn't decided to expel him.

Jason Taylor, a stand-up player in the league, said Ricky is a great teammate, and Nick Saban said Ricky is the hardest working player he's ever coached. (then again, what does Nick Saban know??? he's an a**hole anyway.:banging:

Hey lambert's...what's the minimum post count to start "being aggressive"?

can't we all just get aBong...i mean along...
(some more light-hearted humor)

HometownGal
04-18-2007, 07:43 PM
I believe he's only been suspended TWICE by the NFL for substance abuse. Once for 4 games, and the second for the entire 2004 season. Only one suspension was related to marijuana. He's "kicked the habit" for years now. He'll get as many chances as the NFL allows. It's not his fault if the league hasn't decided to expel him.

Williams violated the NFL substance abuse policy FOUR times. See below:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2421774

Dolphins halfback Ricky Williams lost his appeal with the NFL for violating the substance abuse policy and will be ineligible for the 2006 season.

The appeal was of his fourth violation of the NFL's substance abuse policy, a ruling that places his football career in jeopardy.

Two sources said Williams was told of the ruling earlier Tuesday. This will mark the second time in three years that Williams will sit out a full season. Williams missed the 2004 campaign when he abruptly retired days before the start of training camp that summer, following his third violation of the substance abuse policy.

From one of your posts above:

Once again, tasteless, and very immature.

I have to disagree with you that the quoted sentence isn't just a bit disrespectful. Everyone here is entitled to their own opinion and all opinions are welcomed. :cheers:

83-Steelers-43
04-20-2007, 06:06 AM
NFL Notebook: Rams showing interest in troubled Williams
Friday, April 20, 2007

From wire dispatches

Ricky Williams, who has applied for reinstatement in the NFL after a one-year suspension for substance abuse, could find a home with the St. Louis Rams.

Coach Scott Linehan, the offensive coordinator when Williams played for the Miami Dolphins in 2005, said yesterday he would consider adding Williams to the roster as a backup. The Rams need depth behind Steven Jackson.

Williams, who will turn 30 in May, played in Canada last year and is eligible for reinstatement after April 27. Earlier this month Williams' agent, Leigh Steinberg, sent a letter asking that he be allowed to return to the Dolphins. If that request was granted, the Rams would have to work out a trade with Miami.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07110/779550-66.stm