PDA

View Full Version : Plasma, LCD, DLP?

Prosdo
04-10-2007, 11:42 AM
I was talking to my Mom yesterday about a gift for my 21st birthday. She has put some money aside already, but wanted an idea of what I wanted. I was going to get a GPS system for my car, but decided I should get something else. While we were at Circuit City I decided I wanted a HDTV. Now I would be putting some of my savings in as well to purchase this TV. My problem is I know I want a HDTV, but what is the difference between Plasma, LCD, and DLP? I would be buying either a 46 inch TV or a 50 inch TV. Flat panel so I can hang it on the wall. Anyone have any knowledge about this stuff? What TV's do you guys have and how do you like them? Any pros or cons? Thanks guys

*Note* Someone I know from a PS3 site is suggesting rear projection Sxrd TVs. Anyone have one of those?

MACH1
04-10-2007, 12:25 PM
I was talking to my Mom yesterday about a gift for my 21st birthday. She has put some money aside already, but wanted an idea of what I wanted. I was going to get a GPS system for my car, but decided I should get something else. While we were at Circuit City I decided I wanted a HDTV. Now I would be putting some of my savings in as well to purchase this TV. My problem is I know I want a HDTV, but what is the difference between Plasma, LCD, and DLP? I would be buying either a 46 inch TV or a 50 inch TV. Flat panel so I can hang it on the wall. Anyone have any knowledge about this stuff? What TV's do you guys have and how do you like them? Any pros or cons? Thanks guys

*Note* Someone I know from a PS3 site is suggesting rear projection Sxrd TVs. Anyone have one of those?

Plasma all the way if you want the best picture quality. The best bang for your buck would be a Panasonic. I got a 50" TH-50PX60U Panasonic about six months ago and love it. And the firmware is easily upgraded with the SD slot on the front. With the new generation of plasmas you don't need to worry to much about burn in unless your a moron and leave your x-box paused for 12 hours. I play mine for hours on end and have had no probs at all with image retention, just dont leave it paused on the screen for hours.:smile:

LCD's are good but the picture on fast moving scenes can get a little blurry, such as watching a horse race the legs are moving so fast and the scan cant keep up and you get a grainy blur. Also some people see a rainbow effect on the screen, doesn't affect everybody but some people are sensitive to it and see it better then others.

Rear projections you cant hang on a wall.:wink02:

Heres a link to a forum that you can do some homework on, lots of good info and help you make an informed decision.http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/

Prosdo
04-10-2007, 02:38 PM
Sorry should have specified lol. I would have to buy a stand for the rear projection tv which would make space tight in my room. Is your Panasonic silver? Because if so I saw one of those a few nights ago and it was bad ass!

MACH1
04-10-2007, 02:43 PM
Yes its silver with black around the screen, kinda frames it in. I also have mine hung on the wall.

http://www.plasmaconcepts.com/images/enlarged/PD510.jpg

steelegg
04-10-2007, 02:56 PM
I have a DLP and it works quite well, from what I understand if you play games, and I do, plasma is really bad as you can burn an image in the screen if you let it go by accident. DLP is also better for heavy action (football) i think

Prosdo
04-10-2007, 03:16 PM
That's the one I saw the other night. It has an awesome picture!

Countblaa
04-10-2007, 03:17 PM
I have a Pioneer Elite 42" Plasma. I could not be happier. I play 360 on it all the time, no problems at all. The Steelers look great in HD.

Prosdo
04-10-2007, 03:20 PM
Any screen burn Count? The only real reason I have heard to stay away from Plasma is screen burn. Although I have heard they have up'ed the technology to prevent it.

polamalufan43
04-10-2007, 03:25 PM
I'd say if you want really good quality, go with plasma, but it isn't really cheap.
If your on a budget, then LCD.

~Polamlaufan43:tt02:

HometownGal
04-10-2007, 03:31 PM
I say go with the Plasma, Steph. As PF said, they aren't cheap, but the picture and sound qualities are better than the LCD, imho. What a great birthday gift - good luck in finding exactly what you want! :cheers:

polamalufan43
04-10-2007, 03:32 PM
If you get a plasma your inviting us all over for Steeler Games, lol.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

Countblaa
04-10-2007, 03:33 PM
No burn at all. I belive that the burn issues were from the first Gen of Plasma's. From what I know that is not an issue any more.

Prosdo
04-10-2007, 03:34 PM
I've actually found some pretty good deals on Plasmas. Hopefully they are still around come October.

Prosdo
04-10-2007, 03:35 PM
No burn at all. I belive that the burn issues were from the first Gen of Plasma's. From what I know that is not an issue any more.

Good to know since I would be spending a lot of time playing PS3

polamalufan43
04-10-2007, 03:35 PM

Ooh, i've never heard of those before. Although come to think of it I can see it happening. Glad they aren't an issue anymore, :thumbsup:

MACH1
04-10-2007, 03:36 PM
I play a lot of x-box and haven't had any problems with burn in. Looking at the forum link I posted above, some people have had a little from pausing their games and forgetting about them for hours at a time, but they fixed by putting their tv on a channel that had nothing but snow on it for an hour or two and that took it all out.

I was like you at first when I was considering getting a hdtv. I wanted a plasma but was worried about burn in, but after a little research found it wasn't a big concern now with them as long as you don't leave it on a static image for hours at a time. So I took the plunge and couldn't be happier with it.(just wish I could have got a bigger one):sofunny:

And yes the Steelers look awesome in hd, good enough you can count the whiskers on their face. :smile:

MACH1
04-10-2007, 03:43 PM
I've actually found some pretty good deals on Plasmas. Hopefully they are still around come October.

Prices might even come down lower by then too.

Stlr4Life
04-10-2007, 03:54 PM
I'm loyal to Sony. This is going to be my next T.V. (LCD) 46" BRAVIA? XBR? LCD Flat Panel HDTV. The price is up there but the picture is AWESOME. I want the 52" though. I heard the same thing about plasma's that gaming is bad for them, unless they have made it better recentley. I haven't heard that though. You can't go wrong with any of them though.

polamalufan43
04-10-2007, 04:52 PM
I'm loyal to Sony. This is going to be my next T.V. (LCD) 46" BRAVIA? XBR? LCD Flat Panel HDTV. The price is up there but the picture is AWESOME. I want the 52" though. I heard the same thing about plasma's that gaming is bad for them, unless they have made it better recentley. I haven't heard that though. You can't go wrong with any of them though.

That sounds pretty good for an LCD.

steelerbackr4life
04-10-2007, 05:09 PM
I prefer the Panasonic Plasma I have one in my family room that is a little over a year old. All of the early problems such as burnout issues have been ironed out. The quality of the pic is spectacular. I have it on the wall directly in front of a picture window and even when the sun is directly behind it there is no loss in picture quality at all. My neighbor has an LG lcd same size 42 " and there is a noticeable differnce in quality. The only other difference is he has the local cable HD (comcast) and I have Satelite.

Cape Cod Steel Head
04-10-2007, 05:25 PM
The only knock I've heard against plasma TVs is that they are extremely expensive to repair.

MACH1
04-10-2007, 05:56 PM
DLP's aren't cheap to fix either. My friend has one and one of the bulbs or lights went out and $600 later.

Maidenarcher
04-10-2007, 07:15 PM
I have a DLP and it works quite well, from what I understand if you play games, and I do, plasma is really bad as you can burn an image in the screen if you let it go by accident. DLP is also better for heavy action (football) i think

I definitely agree with you on this......I like DLP in the Samsung the best......

Maidenarcher
04-10-2007, 07:17 PM
I prefer the Panasonic Plasma I have one in my family room that is a little over a year old. All of the early problems such as burnout issues have been ironed out. The quality of the pic is spectacular. I have it on the wall directly in front of a picture window and even when the sun is directly behind it there is no loss in picture quality at all. My neighbor has an LG lcd same size 42 " and there is a noticeable differnce in quality. The only other difference is he has the local cable HD (comcast) and I have Satelite.

I would think the difference is definitely because he bought the LG....Not a company I would touch for anything. Not even a cell phone.

steelerbackr4life
04-11-2007, 09:51 AM
I would think the difference is definitely because he bought the LG....Not a company I would touch for anything. Not even a cell phone.

You may be right my parents have the exact same Panasonic Plasma model as me only 60" and Cable as opposed to Satelite. While the picture there isnt as sharp as mine on some stations it is vastly better than that of my neighbors.

The only other difference that I forgot about in my earlier post that could contribute to my neighbors inferior picture (besides LG not being great) is I know he didnt use high end connections for his video feeds he just slapped it together. Im pretty sure he is using the same old coax connections that have been there for years.

floodcitygirl
04-11-2007, 10:59 AM
I bought a Toshiba LCD in December and I am pleased with it. I went in thinking that I'd go for a Sony or Samsung. I liked the picture on the Toshiba better. I don't usually buy an extended warrenty on anything however I was advised to do that for a tv purchase, and did.

verks36
04-11-2007, 11:03 AM
LCD is the way to go... My dad bought a plasma and like a year later it burned out.

steelerbackr4life
04-11-2007, 11:35 AM
For every bad story with plasma Im sure you could you could find one for LCD.
....It really comes down to what you prefer and what goes well in the room you are putting it in. You can have 2 different people look at the same picture on the same screen and see two completely different things. The same can be said for sound systems. You and I could both like a song but it may sound like crap to you and good to me, depending on what the sound is coming out of. Bottom line once you determine room size and television, speaker placement. You have to decide on what looks and sounds good to you. After all you are the one spending the cash and you will be the one mostly enjoying your home theatre.

Prosdo
04-11-2007, 01:07 PM
I am going to Circuit City on Saturday. I guess it comes to liking the picture as well. Guess I'll get an idea of what I want.

Atlanta Dan
04-11-2007, 01:29 PM
I went with a Sony 55" SXRD rear projection set last summer because a 50" was too small for my room (couches sit back 8 to 12 feet from screen) and I did not feel like taking out a second mortgage for a +50" plasma. Rear projection is a dying technology as the cost/size advantage over plasma/LCD decreases and you get hit with replacing a $250 bulb every 2 yeras or so. But I wanted a big set for Sunday Ticket viewing and am very pleased with my purchase and teh picture quality off DirectV.

The rap on plasma is the glare off the screen if you are in a well lit room but the latest Panasonic plasmas supposedly have a reduced glare screen.

LCD has been limited in size but they are getting bigger (up to 52" now) - the tech who calibrated my set says LCD is the wave of the future. My parents purchased a Samsung 46" LCD recently and the picture (Time-Warner cable) looked great to me.

If you want to link to a great site on HDTV, I have provided the link to a good CNet HDTV site

http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5102926-1.html?tag=ms

As floodcitygirlsays, buy the extended warranty - I bought my HDTV at BrandSmart and the warranty through Sony and got a better deal than what the store offered for its extended warranty.

Prosdo
04-11-2007, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the link. I was actually looking into the Sony 50 SXRD rear projection, but with my room set up the way it is the tv would have to go ontop of my chester drawers and those TVs are pretty heavy. That's why I am probably going with the flat panels.

verks36
04-11-2007, 02:28 PM
I have a general question

out of the three DLP,LCD and plasma which one is usually the most expensive

Maidenarcher
04-11-2007, 07:57 PM
You may be right my parents have the exact same Panasonic Plasma model as me only 60" and Cable as opposed to Satelite. While the picture there isnt as sharp as mine on some stations it is vastly better than that of my neighbors.

The only other difference that I forgot about in my earlier post that could contribute to my neighbors inferior picture (besides LG not being great) is I know he didnt use high end connections for his video feeds he just slapped it together. Im pretty sure he is using the same old coax connections that have been there for years.

Yeah, you can't use crappy cables like that when you have a flat panel....We even have a surge protector that purifies the digital waves to provide clean power going into our tv...I mean, when you buy an expensive tv it ain't nothing to pay for a PureAv to make sure your tv is protected and gives you the best sound and picture quality. Because as you know part of the distortion comes from the cable(satellite).

Prosdo
04-12-2007, 11:41 AM
Yeah I never understand why people buy expensive tvs and don't invest in the better cables. A customer down my parents bar did that and it's like you shelled out 2200 and you won't but the better cables to utilize what you have?

steelerbackr4life
04-12-2007, 12:06 PM
Yeah I never understand why people buy expensive tvs and don't invest in the better cables. A customer down my parents bar did that and it's like you shelled out 2200 and you won't but the better cables to utilize what you have?

That is precisely why my parents wound up paying to have the 60" Plasma they bought installed by Circuit City.

After coming to my house for 6 months and watching movies and sporting events they decided to buy the same t.v. as me. (Not the first time) so when I went to the store and started showing them what they needed my Dad balked at all the "extra" expense. I finally after talking to my Mom told my Dad that I couldnt do it when he wanted because of scheduling conflicts. Then I went to circuit city with Moms cc and purchased the t.v. and materials (mounting bracket surge protecors etc.) and scheduled the installation for a day when my parents left for a long weekend.

My Dad came home to a new system and the only problem I have now is that he calls me every time he cant figure something out.

Prosdo
04-12-2007, 12:13 PM
lol pretty cool of you steeler. What all needs to be purchased? I was going to do that whole thing Circuit City has where they come and install the mount, buy HDMI cables, and surge protector. Am I missing anything?

MACH1
04-12-2007, 12:33 PM
Here's a place to check out, it has a lot of information on it for just about anything you want to know.http://www.hdtvoice.com/voice/index.php?

steelerbackr4life
04-12-2007, 12:44 PM
lol pretty cool of you steeler. What all needs to be purchased? I was going to do that whole thing Circuit City has where they come and install the mount, buy HDMI cables, and surge protector. Am I missing anything?

No that is pretty much it. Circuit City did a nice job at my parents house they have a number of different packages to choose from when you arrange for the installation. I opted for the most expensive (Moms cc) but there are some in the middle that are just as adequate.

The site that bcrabt is a good reference. as is cnet.com

polamalufan43
04-12-2007, 03:41 PM
I have a general question

out of the three DLP,LCD and plasma which one is usually the most expensive

I'd say Plasma cause the technology is more recent.

MACH1
04-12-2007, 03:50 PM
I'd say Plasma cause the technology is more recent.

Nope depends on size and brand.

If you want the most expensive kind check out LED tv's. :smile:

polamalufan43
04-12-2007, 03:54 PM
Nope depends on size and brand.

If you want the most expensive kind check out LED tv's. :smile:

Oops, completely forgot about that, lol. Stupid mind....

Steelerstrength
04-12-2007, 04:45 PM
I performed 8 months of research before I made my purchase. My requirements were the best black, a black border, a thin screen for wall mount, and 1080 res. I already have complete built-in surround speakers & components so the sound was not as important. I neede at least a 46" - 52" screen for the size of my family room, with at least 13 feet from the screen for viewing. One couch is also at quite the angle from the screen, so I did not want any picture blur or loss from any angle. Clarity of picture was the most important, while watching the Steelers!

After viewing every brand on earth, Vizio, Samsung, Sony, Sharp, Panasonic, Pioneer, Hitachi, Toshiba etc. etc. I quickly narrowed the finalists. (All pictures were broadcast and compared at both 1080 and 720 for best quality of color and during movement. I actually had each & every store change the channel to football broadcast in HD, so my time was short and had to be done on certain days/nights) I also checked out as many forums as possible to inquire about warranty claims, service time, set-up, and user satisfaction.

It came down to Sony and Samsung. It had to be LCD because of picture quality. The blacks were so much better than plasma or dlp. The latest LCD's were having no issue with movement, especially at 1080. (Discovery channel HD morning shows a sunrise with natural sounds that is about 15 minutes long. That is an awesome show!) Samsung makes Sony, so that narrowed the manufacturer to Samsung. The LNS-5296D is the best! Once I decided on the brand and size, I took my wife down to the two stores that carried both the Sony & Samsung for her to view. She loved the Samsung. The gloss black border made the difference. The viewing screen seems to blend into the black border, which made for a smooth viewing transition. The 52" Samsung was the choice!

I then went on-line to research pricing. The local stores wanted $4999. That was outrageous, I thought! Did I want to spend that much? No! I logged into the Nextag site and punched in my Samsung. They came up with 15 different stores and pricing! Each store has a rating, and customer satisfaction testimonials. Some offerred free freight, and no tax, for out of state purchases. I ended up calling three stores, just so I could get a good sense of who I'm dealing with. One store, in Boston, tried to switch me to another brand. (Damn Pat's fan) Another said it was out of stock, then offered another brand. He was a Jets fan. I then called the right store and they had 4 in stock. My price was $3495, no tax, no freight charges to California from New York. I bought it!

The LCD arrived a week later, boxed extremely well by the manufacturer, in perfect condition. The packing foam was placed so well that you could drop that box without any damage.

I also purchased a dual cantilever mount, so I could raise, lower, tilt, and shift my screen side to side. The mount attaches inside of a niche, so the screen is flush with the wall. Since the LCD is only 4.4 inches thick, it was a perfect fit on the wall. I also have Directv, so for years I've been able to watch all Steeler games in California.

Sorry for the long winded story, but I did some homework.

Maidenarcher
04-12-2007, 06:15 PM
I performed 8 months of research before I made my purchase. My requirements were the best black, a black border, a thin screen for wall mount, and 1080 res. I already have complete built-in surround speakers & components so the sound was not as important. I neede at least a 46" - 52" screen for the size of my family room, with at least 13 feet from the screen for viewing. One couch is also at quite the angle from the screen, so I did not want any picture blur or loss from any angle. Clarity of picture was the most important, while watching the Steelers!

After viewing every brand on earth, Vizio, Samsung, Sony, Sharp, Panasonic, Pioneer, Hitachi, Toshiba etc. etc. I quickly narrowed the finalists. (All pictures were broadcast and compared at both 1080 and 720 for best quality of color and during movement. I actually had each & every store change the channel to football broadcast in HD, so my time was short and had to be done on certain days/nights) I also checked out as many forums as possible to inquire about warranty claims, service time, set-up, and user satisfaction.

It came down to Sony and Samsung. It had to be LCD because of picture quality. The blacks were so much better than plasma or dlp. The latest LCD's were having no issue with movement, especially at 1080. (Discovery channel HD morning shows a sunrise with natural sounds that is about 15 minutes long. That is an awesome show!) Samsung makes Sony, so that narrowed the manufacturer to Samsung. The LNS-5296D is the best! Once I decided on the brand and size, I took my wife down to the two stores that carried both the Sony & Samsung for her to view. She loved the Samsung. The gloss black border made the difference. The viewing screen seems to blend into the black border, which made for a smooth viewing transition. The 52" Samsung was the choice!

I then went on-line to research pricing. The local stores wanted $4999. That was outrageous, I thought! Did I want to spend that much? No! I logged into the Nextag site and punched in my Samsung. They came up with 15 different stores and pricing! Each store has a rating, and customer satisfaction testimonials. Some offerred free freight, and no tax, for out of state purchases. I ended up calling three stores, just so I could get a good sense of who I'm dealing with. One store, in Boston, tried to switch me to another brand. (Damn Pat's fan) Another said it was out of stock, then offered another brand. He was a Jets fan. I then called the right store and they had 4 in stock. My price was $3495, no tax, no freight charges to California from New York. I bought it!

The LCD arrived a week later, boxed extremely well by the manufacturer, in perfect condition. The packing foam was placed so well that you could drop that box without any damage.

I also purchased a dual cantilever mount, so I could raise, lower, tilt, and shift my screen side to side. The mount attaches inside of a niche, so the screen is flush with the wall. Since the LCD is only 4.4 inches thick, it was a perfect fit on the wall. I also have Directv, so for years I've been able to watch all Steeler games in California.

Sorry for the long winded story, but I did some homework.

Good decision....Samsung 1080 is the way to go.

Prosdo
04-15-2007, 01:46 PM
I went to Circuit City yesterday and I think I found the TV I will probably buy. It's 40inch and 1080p.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/Prosdo/h305LNT4061-f_MT_TVS.jpg

http://www.samsung.com/Products/TV/LCDTV/LNT4061FXXAA.asp

polamalufan43
04-15-2007, 03:55 PM
Whoa.......

*staring in awe*

Whoa.....

P.S. Nice screen my friend

steelerbackr4life
04-15-2007, 08:22 PM
Looks sweet Pros ! Keep me up to date on how you like it. We are going to be redoing our kitchen and Master bedroom this year and both designs call for flat screens. Im 99% sure Im going with a drop down lcd for the kitchen and if the LCD stays alot cheaper I am going to go with that for the Master Bedroom.

steelerbackr4life
04-15-2007, 08:23 PM
Looks sweet Pros ! Keep me up to date on how you like it. We are going to be redoing our kitchen and Master bedroom this year and both designs call for flat screens. Im 99% sure Im going with a drop down lcd for the kitchen and if the LCD stays alot cheaper then the plasmas I am going to go with that for the Master Bedroom.

Prosdo
04-15-2007, 09:23 PM
Will do. I can't wait to get it.

steelerbackr4life
04-15-2007, 09:45 PM
Youll love it hope you get to watch alot more Pens game on it. But not too many :wink02: