PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to ge ahead and say it now.

Jeremy
04-12-2007, 11:34 AM
Arizona is a trap game if I ever saw one. Trust me, there are plenty of people out here who want to see the Cards lay a real beating on us for no other reason than whipping the Steelers would be a way to announce their presence to the NFL. You've always been told Arizona is friendly to the Steelers right? Well it's simply not that way anymore.

Be nervous about the team's chances in the Desert.

Newzfoxjr
04-12-2007, 11:56 AM
I don't think we'll lose this game.

They've only really improved their coaching staff...that doesn't do anything about their running game, offensive line or secondary. Or at least the talent in them.

DACEB
04-12-2007, 12:01 PM
I don't think you can call it a trap game at all. Both teams are going to go into it wanting to win badly. Of course you have to be nervous about it for the simple fact that their coaches know our team so well. Hopefully by that game (4th) the offense will be clicking and the defense will play better than they did in last seasons pre-season game. I am confident we have better talent and it will show. We will be coming off two home games, so the travel should'nt affect us. My prediction is a WIN.

Jeremy
04-12-2007, 12:07 PM
I don't think you can call it a trap game at all. Both teams are going to go into it wanting to win badly. Of course you have to be nervous about it for the simple fact that their coaches know our team so well. Hopefully by that game (4th) the offense will be clicking and the defense will play better than they did in last seasons pre-season game. I am confident we have better talent and it will show. We will be coming off two home games, so the travel should'nt affect us. My prediction is a WIN.

I love the Steelers, but right now I really couldn't make that statement right now and be confident about it being true.

ARKIESTEEL
04-12-2007, 12:08 PM
I bet we take it too the woodpeckers on their home turf. :tt02:

Jeremy
04-12-2007, 12:10 PM
I bet we take it too the woodpeckers on their home turf. :tt02:

I certainly hope the team isn't looking past Arizona the way the fans seem to be. Trust me when I say that Arizona will be the first real test of the season. They're young and they're hungry and a win over a team like the Steelers is just what they need to show the NFL that they mean business.

verks36
04-12-2007, 12:12 PM
well between wizz and grim they basically know are whole play book. But we wont lose

MACH1
04-12-2007, 12:19 PM
All i got to say is I wouldnt look past this game. They have some good wr's and with our lack of pass coverage or pressure it could make for a long day.

fansince'76
04-12-2007, 12:24 PM
To me, every game is a trap game, because there simply isn't much of a gap between "good" teams and "bad" teams anymore talentwise. I look past nobody, personally.

ARKIESTEEL
04-12-2007, 12:24 PM
I certainly hope the team isn't looking past Arizona the way the fans seem to be. Trust me when I say that Arizona will be the first real test of the season. They're young and they're hungry and a win over a team like the Steelers is just what they need to show the NFL that they mean business.

Sure hope the team has more faith in the boys as to write this oe off.

Jeremy
04-12-2007, 12:31 PM
To me, every game is a trap game, because there simply isn't much of a gap between "good" teams and "bad" teams anymore talentwise. I look past nobody, personally.

True enough. I just find it interesting that after the train wreck that was last season, so many Steelers fans are still puffing out their chests about the schedule. There aren't that many automatic wins in that schedule. Every week is going to be a war. I just think the Arizona game will be tougher than most.

Elvis
04-12-2007, 12:36 PM
Tougher than most? They aint gonna be any tougher than the Ravens or Bengals.. I agree that the Cards are gonna be improved but so are our Steelers.. atleast they should be. If they continue to turn the ball over like they did early on last year then we aint gonna hardly beat anyone. But just like late last year when the turnovers kind of went away, Our team played alot better and the record showed it.

MACH1
04-12-2007, 12:39 PM
True enough. I just find it interesting that after the train wreck that was last season, so many Steelers fans are still puffing out their chests about the schedule. There aren't that many automatic wins in that schedule. Every week is going to be a war. I just think the Arizona game will be tougher than most.

Especially with wizz and grim knowing the Steelers inside and out like they do. Strengths and weakness's.

Haiku_Dirtt
04-12-2007, 12:53 PM
well between wizz and grim they basically know are whole play book. But we wont lose

One of the most interesting factoids about the Cowher 'retirement' is that he compiled his playbook year after year. In over a decade he apparently never took plays out of the book. Good grief. If Cowher didn't go into football he most certainly would have been a congressman. Do they ever take laws off the books?

From what I think I'm reading the approach going foward on offense is simplicity. And scraping the dusty Cowher Archive is hopefully a good start. You can't rely on the power run without a power RB.

What Whiz and Grimm knew should matter less for this game. Thay have much bigger issues to resolve than game-planning for an out-of-division and out-of-conference game. Unfortunately the childish media will run the story....over and over and over and over and over.

MACH1
04-12-2007, 01:01 PM
They will be just as worried about this game as any divisional game. Just remember every game counts, the more you win the better.

The play book may change but the personnel are basically the same and they know each persons strengths or weakness.

ChronoCross
04-12-2007, 01:29 PM
Were in the middle of a major overhaul. I would just rather think of camps, pre season, seeing who beats out who for position. And getting the best people on the field first before even thinking about a game. Draft is coming up.. Lets get ready for that first.

RoethlisBURGHer
04-12-2007, 01:38 PM
Personally,I feel we have the advantage.Nobody on the Cardinals is familar with Tomlin's way of coaching.Hell,we don't know if Arians or Tomlin will be calling the offensive plays.

The Steelers new coaching staff streamlined the playbook that was filled with plays from 1992-2006.Whisenhut can't bet on the power run,power run,pass on 3rd and long strategy we had in Pittsburgh.There will be more plays to get Willie into open space where he can do something with that speed.

Also,there will be many more 4-reciever sets this year according to Tomlin.We thrived when in those sets last year once Ben was healthy.I also think Tomlin & Co. will be using Miller as a reciever more than a blocker now.

We didn't lose LeBeau,and he practiced against Whisenhut's offense every day in practice.Whisenhut isn't gonna change his thinking,LeBeau already knows his tendacies in situations.Not to mention Leinart hasn't seen much 3-4 defense since almost ever college plays 4-3,so he'll be confused out of his mind.

Thier o-line is still in shambles.Those two great WR's they have can't catch the ball if Leinart has intense pressure all the time.He'll overthrow because he had to throw early,he'll underthrow because he was getting hit.We already know how Grimm works.

Oh,and thier defense isn't very good either.Santonio Holmes can burn thier secondary and Ward can easily run them over once he has the ball in his hands.

I also expect to see Willie utilized out of the backfield on passes more often.He's not a back that can really block,so we need to utilize his speed when we ain't handing the ball off to him by throwing it to him.

This will be a new Steelers offense and defense this year,Whiz and Grimm won't recognize it,so they better not be betting thier life savings on run,run,pass.

verks36
04-12-2007, 01:46 PM
Were in the middle of a major overhaul. I would just rather think of camps, pre season, seeing who beats out who for position. And getting the best people on the field first before even thinking about a game. Draft is coming up.. Lets get ready for that first.

I agree with this the season may with injuries ect...

But i am sure the Wizz has this game circled on the schedule.

Cape Cod Steel Head
04-12-2007, 02:25 PM
After last season(see Oakland game) I don't think that this years team will be looking past anyone!

steelersfanman92
04-12-2007, 02:47 PM
with our skill at DB verses Fitzgerald and Boldin that scares me a little

Jeremy
04-12-2007, 03:01 PM

Not to mention James and Leinart.

Sharkissle29
04-12-2007, 04:43 PM
ill be there

tony hipchest
04-12-2007, 05:46 PM
as the raiders game last year proved, every game will be a trap game. luckilly the steelers are now humbled enough to realize that just like the patriots did the year after they missed the playoffs in 2002.

DJfan
04-12-2007, 06:22 PM
A bunch of us are going to that game from So. Cal. They had better win.

Edman
04-12-2007, 06:48 PM
I agree. All games are trap games. But Arizona is an absolutely dangerous trap. Perennial loser on the brink of contending with a coaching staff that knows the other team well. Doesn't look good for the Steelers.

Preacher
04-12-2007, 06:51 PM
as the raiders game last year proved, every game will be a trap game. luckilly the steelers are now humbled enough to realize that just like the patriots did the year after they missed the playoffs in 2002.

Yep. And I hope that we come out STRONG because of it.

GBMelBlount
04-12-2007, 07:37 PM

We need to pressure Leinart. Plus I think Anthony Smith solid if starts. 43 healthy, cornerbacks have another year of maturity, plus Taylor has great natural ability, if can learn to make better decisions (heard he is working very hard) I think we will be OK. Maybe I'm being optimistic.

TackleMeBen
04-12-2007, 07:46 PM
if we are lucky grimm will be making the halftime adjustments for arizona, just like he made them for us last season... oh wait he didnt make any.... that is why ben sent most of the ravens games on his rear :wink02:

NV STEELERS 723
04-12-2007, 08:15 PM
if we are lucky grimm will be making the halftime adjustments for arizona, just like he made them for us last season... oh wait he didnt make any.... that is why ben sent most of the ravens games on his rear :wink02:

That is funny about Grimm... I am glad he's not our coach....he strikes me as a lazy ass..it will be sweet rewards when we smack the Cardinals 45-3...I think the current STEELERS have some personnal issues on this one...

The playbook ???????? LOL...... Whiz will not have a clue what we are running, as we are running over them...

The Cards will be the same old Cards...lots of talent, but no love on their team...you have to have balance...they don't!

Our STEELERS did not get the SB schedule like the Colts did...its OK...I'm looking forward to another winning season and w/ Ben as our QB ; he will bounce back, and be "Big Ben " again.....

steelcity58
04-12-2007, 08:35 PM
Key game going into the bye week is Seattle.

There are still a few people who didn't watch SB40...but listened to Madden's commentary.

Just to put all that BS to rest...and get the Steelers really feeling good....they need to rout
the Seattle Shehawks...

34-7 would be nice...

40-0 would put a nail in the fat walrus and jerk Holmgren.

Holmgren = Luhooooozer

SteelerFanInTX210
04-12-2007, 10:26 PM
We have seen this before ala Jon Gruden againts the Raiders. We need to go ahead and prepare a seperate playbook specifically for that game, or it could bite us in the !@#$$.

ARKIESTEEL
04-13-2007, 06:23 AM
Seems like as far as the "playbook thing" goes I think Dick knowing Whiz plays would be alot closer than Whiz knowing our new plays. It will be fun to watch should be over at half

abgroove
04-13-2007, 06:27 AM
In the NFL any game is a trap game (see Pittsburgh vs Oakland 2006). I don't think we will lose the game. But, I don't see us losing many games this year.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-13-2007, 06:45 AM
Arizona is a trap game if I ever saw one. Trust me, there are plenty of people out here who want to see the Cards lay a real beating on us for no other reason than whipping the Steelers would be a way to announce their presence to the NFL. You've always been told Arizona is friendly to the Steelers right? Well it's simply not that way anymore.

It will be a hyped game because of the coaching situation but the cardinals are not that good......they will not beat us:tt02:

Buzz05
04-13-2007, 07:19 AM
Everybody talks about how Whiz and Grimm will really be working hard in this game. What about Tomlin? I mean doesnt anyone think he will wanna win the game just as much if not more? These 2 guys were the supposed clear cut favorites and he got the job over them. Tomlin will want this game just as much to show all the non believers that the Rooney''s chose the correct guy.

Jeremy
04-13-2007, 08:05 AM
It will be a hyped game because of the coaching situation but the cardinals are not that good......they will not beat us:tt02:

Neither were the Raiders last year.

ChronoCross
04-13-2007, 09:10 AM
In the NFL any game is a trap game (see Pittsburgh vs Oakland 2006). I don't think we will lose the game. But, I don't see us losing many games this year.

We made that are own trap game by playing Ben before he was ready to come back. The defense kept them to 98 yards of total offense and Ben lost us the game with his INTs. Bad coaching, well lack of coaching on are point cost us a lot the first part of the season.

Jeremy
04-13-2007, 09:20 AM
We made that are own trap game by playing Ben before he was ready to come back. The defense kept them to 98 yards of total offense and Ben lost us the game with his INTs. Bad coaching, well lack of coaching on are point cost us a lot the first part of the season.

I understand where you're coming from Chross. But a loss is a loss.

ChronoCross
04-13-2007, 09:32 AM
I understand where you're coming from Chross. But a loss is a loss.

Totally agree a loss is a loss, there is nothing we can do about that after the game is over. I feel we could of had changed the outcome of some of the games to give us the big W, but we did not and now we have to live with the losses we acquired last season. Now we go into a new season with a new coach and high hopes of a great turn around.

TackleMeBen
04-13-2007, 10:21 AM

:iagree:

SteelerMurf
04-13-2007, 11:24 AM
Unless the Steelers can generate a pass rush this year, I think the Steelers lose this game. Nothing to do with a trap or nothing to do with coaching. It has to do with being able to cover a WR for as long as our pass rush lets them.

GBMelBlount
04-13-2007, 07:28 PM

For all of Ben's problems, O-line problems, Interception/turnover problems, poor secondary play, & maybe poor coaching motivation/decisions....We were still 8-8! We were in virtually every game going into the 2nd half except maybe Baltimore! If Ben is back to old form, we should do much better. Plus, if we can improve in a few of the aforementioned areas, we could be there til the end.

Stlrs4Life
04-13-2007, 08:44 PM

Very good post. I feel the same. To repeat Cowher, there's a fine line between winning and losing.

sumo
04-13-2007, 08:44 PM
I had season tickets for the Cards for the 10 yrs I lived in AZ and every year was "our year" - this year I have hope because of the Steeler transplants in the coaching staff, last year it was the Edge, year before Denny Green, Kurt Warner and some new wideouts, etc, etc

WWIIOwheelz
04-13-2007, 10:11 PM
We MUST be able to rush the QB, and especially in that game.

It will be a very, VERY interesting game for Steelers fans everywhere.

Avoid LLoyd1975
04-19-2007, 07:43 PM

What the **** are you saying. All I gotta say is Chicago last year week 6. Arizona blows balls, and they will always blow balls.

MJ5150
04-20-2007, 01:38 PM

You better be wrong.

I'm making a road trip for that game, and I don't want it to be a lost weekend like last year in Oakland. All that time and money right down the drain....man, I was so mad. :banging:

-Mike

Hamer
04-20-2007, 03:19 PM
It might have been a 'trap game' if we still had Cowher. But I don't think a team with a Head Coach with zero games experience going into the season can even have a trap game. I think Tomlin will be too intense and hyped to allow the guys to overlook anyone (especially one with thier ex-assistant coaches!).
If this game ends up being a 'trap'- It'd be because one of the players, not Tomlin, is really leading this team. and if that's the case, we're in trouble in the long run....

('Course, I don't think that'll be the case, and I think we'll wipe the floor with the Cards).
'Nuff said!

X-Terminator
04-20-2007, 08:06 PM
No doubt that this will be a difficult game, but I feel the Steelers will win. The Cards have loads of offensive talent, but they are still woefully deficient in several key areas, most notably the OL and secondary. Plus, they are an NFC team, and let's face it, the NFC sucks. If the Cards are to have any chance of winning, it'll have to be done on the arm of Matt Leinart, and I foresee the Steelers planning their entire defensive scheme around stopping him and their passing attack, much like they do when they play the Bengals. That means that Edge could have a decent day running the football even behind that line since the Steelers will likely pressure Leinart all day long. Will it be enough to offset what could be a huge day for the Steelers' offense and Ben in particular? I don't think so. The Cards will play with plenty of emotion, but IMO, the Steelers still pull it out.

Livinginthe past
04-21-2007, 04:39 AM
Yeah, at this point I think you still have to favor the Steelers by 6 - alot is being made of the Arizona offense but their O-line has totally failed to establish any type of running game in recent years.

Despite the hype surrounding the Cards all-star WR corps they remain a poor team in a weak conference.

I don't think Tomlin will allow and sort of complacency to set in that would make them consider any game a 'gimme'.

silver & black
04-21-2007, 11:21 AM
We have seen this before ala Jon Gruden againts the Raiders. We need to go ahead and prepare a seperate playbook specifically for that game, or it could bite us in the !@#$$.

I usually don't post in here, but I was going to bring that up untill I saw your post.

It doesn't matter how good any team is... if you look past ANY team in the NFL, you are setting yourself up for disappointment. "ON ANY GIVEN SUNDAY".