PDA

View Full Version : Don Imus firing.....

LambertIsGod58
04-12-2007, 05:23 PM
I hope that noone can argue the fact that what Imus said was OK...but the firing, IMO, is a result of Corporate America being intimidated by Black America. Who the hell is Al Sharpton anyway? The black people I know see him for the joke that he is. Tawana Brawley sound familiar? Where is a WHITE leader to speak on the behalf of the three Duke Lacrosse players that were falsely accused of rape? Where is the public outcry about that? Where is Fat Al now on that issue? Look at the OJ case. I've read in several sources that that verdict was a result of worrying about another riot like in '92. I'm sick of the double standards. I'm sick of the reverse discrimination.

LambertIsGod58
04-12-2007, 05:24 PM
Where are our white only colleges? Where are our white only college funds? Where is our NAAWP? Where is our, for a lack of a better acronym, WET tv? See the common theme here? Equality? THink about it....

Cape Cod Steel Head
04-12-2007, 05:34 PM
While you some make some good points in your first post the whites only colleges were pretty much every college and university in this nation up until the 1960's. No need for a NAAWP. As for our WET its called CBS,NBC ,and FOX.

LambertIsGod58
04-12-2007, 05:52 PM
While you some make some good points in your first post the whites only colleges were pretty much every college and university in this nation up until the 1960's. No need for a NAAWP. As for our WET its called CBS,NBC ,and FOX.

Not comparing apples to apples....

RoethlisBURGHer
04-12-2007, 05:57 PM
I completly agree.

Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson are both to blame big time for the Duke Lacrosee players being prosecuted in the first place.Big named political figures breathing down the neck of the prosecutor to put them on trial.Duram,NC is an area with a very high amount of black people...with the support of Jackson and Sharpton,he HAD to prosecute those boys.

The "victim" has lied about being kidnapped and raped before,back when she was 14.There was no evidence and she later backed away from the charges because she lied.Normally,the DA wouldn't take on the same case someone lied about before...but Jackson and Sharpton's involvment made it even bigger than what it should have been.

This case ruined many lives: the families of the boys charged,the boys charged,Duke's Lacrosse coach (who was wrongfully fired,he can't control his players off the field of play),the prosecutor,the entire lacrosse team.

Those boys will never be successful in life,they will always be known as the lacrosse players who were accused of raping that stripper;nobody will hire them,even with degrees from a top university like Duke.

Thier families spent millions in thier defense.They sold thier cars,thier houses.That stuff they will never have back.I believe the families and boys should sue Sharpton,Jackson,and the prosecutor.

The coach has not found a job yet,but he wasn't responsible for the party,the false accusations,or anything.He won't get hired by a community college.

The prosecutor basicly axed his career when he decided to take the case.Yeah,if he got convictions his career would take off.But it was a failed before it even started.He will be let go by the DA and won't get a job prosecuting anywhere now.I feel if Sharpton and Jackson weren't involved,he would have never brought the charges against the players.

The entire team was affected by the cancellation of the season.Many players missed thier senior season,it affected thier entry into the pro lacrosse draft.They will also be looked at as members of the team where thier players were accused of raping that stripper.They might have even been at the party.That cloud won't go away.

Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton are first-class racists.They are the first to want the white people fired,jailed,and fiend...and the first to defend the black people when they break the law and/or do something stupid.

"Nappy headed ho",those are not words on the list of things that can be said on the air.Neither are "cracker white trailor trash"...if a black DJ were to say that about a white person and some white people were to want him fired,you can bet your bottom dollar Sharpton and Jackson would be the first two to rush the the black DJ's defense.

The black man can be racist and get away with it,the white man cannot be...and if he is he should lose his job and everything else for it...at least that's the world Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton live in.

My freshman year of high school (1999-2000 school year),a girl at my high school (Euclid High School,Euclid,Ohio) was caught giving oral sex for money to the entire boy's jv basketball team ,which happened to be all black...the girl giving the blowjobs was white.She got expelled along with the entire team.

Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton held a rally in front of the school one Friday just after the expulssions and asked for the entire school bored,and all the faculty in charge of discipline to resign or be fired due to the "racism shown by the faculty for expelling all blacks except for the white girl that performed the oral sex".Well,the only people ON CAMERA entering and leaving the room...and in line to enter the room...were the black players on the JV basketball team.The only people in the room when a teacher walked in and saw what was going on was the white girl giving oral sex and members of the JV basketball team.

So yes,they are hypocritcal *******s whom are proof of the racist double standard in this country.

Jeremy
04-12-2007, 06:05 PM
The minority running the majority, politics as usual in America.

LambertIsGod58
04-12-2007, 06:11 PM
I knew that I couldn't be goin' crazy....to think that nobody agreed with me.

RoethlisBURGHer
04-12-2007, 06:13 PM
Don't worry Jeremy,I have a feeling that Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton are gonna be getting what's coming to them very soon.I heard that the families of/and the players are preparing lawsuits against both men and the prosecutor.They will win the lawsuits,since evidence showed that the crimes did not happen,and that the girl should have not been believed in the first place.

Jackson and Sharpton did thier usual thing,throw out damaging acusations without knowing a shred of fact about the situation,or persons involved.

Cape Cod Steel Head
04-12-2007, 06:21 PM
Don't forget about Jesse J. calling NYC. "Hymie town".

Edman
04-12-2007, 06:21 PM
For starters, let me say I'm a black minority.

The only way for hypocritical double standard racism to die is to have those two idiots Jackson and Sharpton die one day. They have been nothing but trouble. I feel terrible for the Duke Lacrosse players. Their lives and their families' lives were completely ruined by that extorting drug-dealing ***** stripper, her lying lawyer, and those two fools. I am so sorry for Don Imus. It makes no sense for him to lose his job over a bunch of stupid words. I lost a lot of respect for the Rutgers Women players after seeing them whine to the press about what a guy they don't know said about them. It's absolutely sickening.

RoethlisBURGHer
04-12-2007, 06:43 PM
For starters, let me say I'm a black minority, and I'm completely sickened by the Don Imus firing. Political Correctness and Affirmative Action is just a BS excuse for some lazy minorities when they fail. I agree, you cannot say the word "******" without being executed by everyone. But comedians like Dave Chapelle say "Nigga" and "Cracker" all the time. Don Imus is the sad evidence of the pussification of America. I'm sorry.

Everybody is afraid to offend somebody and be labled a racist.I personally don't consider myself a racist,I have friends of different races,religions,and nationalities.I have looked down on some people who are black,they deserved it for being lazy.They played the race card to get ahead...I sure wish as a white male I could do that,but I have to work for what I have.

I don't mind Dave Chapelle because he makes fun of everyone.He makes fun of the stereotypes more than the people,and in my eyes that is fine.Now if he amde fun strictly of white people,there might be a problem.

The thing is,if a black guy comes up to me and calls me "cracker,******,trailor trash" and I replied "n*gger,bush boogey,spear chucker"...I would be vilfied and I would be made to look like the bad guy,even though the black guy brought it on himself.

Atlanta Dan
04-12-2007, 10:42 PM
It's a YouTube/Internet world and Imus got caught up in the vortex of a 24 hour news cycle that kept churning the story until he went down.

I enjoyed listening to Imus during my 7-8 a.m. drive time when he usually had on his best guests and kept sidekick Bernard McGuirk's racist diatribes to a minimum (last month Bernard said Hillary Clinton was pandering to the black vote so much she would be wearing cornrows and gold teeth soon). What sunk Imus was that the slur on the Rutgers players came out of his mouth rather than Bernard's (who set him up with an initial slur) and that at the press conference on Tuesday the Rutgers players clearly were not as Imus described them.

I think Imus finally stepped over the line and deserved to get canned, not because of the slur but because the slur destroyed the ability of the show to attract guests and make $$$$. As for Jackson and Sharpton, they are vile. But what tanked the show were not Al & Jesse but the sponsors withdrawing and the upscale guests no longer being able to feign ignorance of the cringe worthy nature of the racism that was spewed in the bits surrounding their interviews. CBS and NBC pulled the plug because Imus no longer was going to make them enough money to overlook the ignorance that tainted the redeeming qualities of the show; as was said in The Godfather, it's nothing personal, it's strictly business.

As for the travesty of the Duke lacrosse case, I am a Duke grad and followed that case closely. Al & Jesse played the race card from the sidelines, but Durham DA Mike Nifong indicted the 3 players because Nifong was in a tight primary election last spring and played on the toxic relationship between Duke and blacks in Durham, not because of anything Al & Jesse did. Nifong dug his own grave and hopefully will be disbarred, sued by the 3 players, and criminally prosecuted for obstruction of justice.

SteelCzar76
04-13-2007, 01:14 AM
Everybody is afraid to offend somebody and be labled a racist.I personally don't consider myself a racist,I have friends of different races,religions,and nationalities.I have looked down on some people who are black,they deserved it for being lazy.They played the race card to get ahead...I sure wish as a white male I could do that,but I have to work for what I have.

I don't mind Dave Chapelle because he makes fun of everyone.He makes fun of the stereotypes more than the people,and in my eyes that is fine.Now if he amde fun strictly of white people,there might be a problem.

The thing is,if a black guy comes up to me and calls me "cracker,******,trailor trash" and I replied "n*gger,bush boogey,spear chucker"...I would be vilfied and I would be made to look like the bad guy,even though the black guy brought it on himself.

Madness and hipochrisy begets as much. Is it amazing that affirmative action programs and over the top P.C media attempt to level the field by being unfair themselves ? Yes,....just as amazing as how SOME 'white men' decided that theft, murder, rape and wholesale savagery against another 'breed' of human being was acceptable. (because it was 'good for buisness' and after having suffered as much at the hands of other white, brown and yellow men,.....decided it was justified)

The truth of this nation and any other is this,.....small minded beasts come from any and every ethnic group. And ultimately,.....all things boil down to POWER or lack thereof.

It's not a matter of "as i white male you have to work for what you have" But a matter of all MEN having to deserve to be considered as much. (Men)

The very term 'race' is acknowledged by science itself as holding no merit at all in terms of truthfully defining human beings. (do your homework)

Racism is simply another form of control for the 'sheep'. And in case you haven't noticed,...such sheep in the terms i speak of now,.....come in every size, shape, color and ethnic background. Our nation is a corporation,......EVERYONE is equally expendable for the sake of it's benefit. (make no mistake about it)

Bottom line,.....keep the foolish 'plebs' sparring over nonsense and distracted and they will be that much easier to manipulate. (divide and conquer)

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-13-2007, 06:42 AM
Where are our white only colleges? Where are our white only college funds? Where is our NAAWP? Where is our, for a lack of a better acronym, WET tv? See the common theme here? Equality? THink about it....

That would be racist.......Its a one way street.....
You forgot...Where is our white leader....(and dont say president)....I mean a white leader that stands up for whites rights????

Dont be biased to what is said in both of these post......and you will see that this is a one way street....(whites will be wrong either way as long as the word racism is cried out)

Godfather
04-13-2007, 08:15 AM
I'm sick of white victimology. It makes Jesse and Al look like pikers.

I hope that noone can argue the fact that what Imus said was OK...but the firing, IMO, is a result of Corporate America being intimidated by Black America.

No, it's the result of mainstream sponsors like Proctor and Gamble and General Motors not wanting to be involved with controversy. Just like country stations not playing the Dixie Chicks, even though iTunes downloads prove that a lot of people want to hear their music. Are you outraged that irate Bush supporters are dictating to the majority?

Who the hell is Al Sharpton anyway? The black people I know see him for the joke that he is. Tawana Brawley sound familiar?

Exactly. He's not the emperor of black people. But he and Jesse made smoe good points in the Imus case, about the coarsening of public culture and the use of the public airwaves to make racist and sexist remarks. Jesse, to his credit, has publicly feuded with rappers like Snoop Dogg over the use of such language in his shows.

Where is a WHITE leader to speak on the behalf of the three Duke Lacrosse players that were falsely accused of rape? Where is the public outcry about that?

Who exactly is a white leader? And there was plenty of public outcry over the Duke case, as soon as Nifong's unethical conduct was exposed. The Duke players can (partly) thank real rapists for what happened to them, because real rapists always use the "she's nutty and ****ty" defense even though in most cases it isn't true. They can also thank the moron who sent the email about skinning strippers alive, and Colin Finnerty was a believable target given that he already had a rap sheet in DC.

Where are the black-only colleges? There's no rule against white people going to Howard or Fisk or Tuskegee. There is an NAAWP--it's run by David Duke and is basically for losers and failures who blame black people rather than their own stupidity and laziness. |As far as the NAACP is concerned, it was founded in 1909, an era of widespread official discrimination. Exactly when are they supposed to disband? White-on-black racism and discrimination still exists, so they aren't completely unneccesary.

Look at the OJ case. I've read in several sources that that verdict was a result of worrying about another riot like in '92.

Hard to say what the jury's actual motivation was. Not trusting the LAPD, for good reason? Worrying about a riot? Revenge for Rodney King? Revenge on the prosecution of efffectively keeping them in prison for a year and a half? Dunno, but I would agree that the jury was looking for an excuse to acquit. OJ's money made that excuse easy to dig up. Remember that Robert Blake got off too. Celebrities get away with everything.

HometownGal
04-13-2007, 08:16 AM
On the Don Imus firing - I think it was justified as he should have exercised better judgment knowing how sensitive an issue racism is. Media personalities, celebrities, public officials, etc. are right out there in the open for all to see and hear - Imus must have had a major brain fart not thinking there wouldn't be hell to pay over his comment.

Now - to the nitty gritty - I strongly believe that African Americans segregate themselves for the most part and are equally guilty of racism as are any other race, if not more. Black Miss America and Miss USA pageants, United Negro College Fund, NAACP and the list goes on. Can you imagine their outcry if a White Miss America or Miss USA pageant were created? They don't like being referred to as "colored people", but what do the letters NAACP stand for? White high school seniors cannot apply/compete for a scholarship through the UNCF - they are turned down because of their "color". I really believe that African Americans today bring on a lot of their own grief themselves with the double standards they continue to exhibit.

As for Al Sharpton - you might as well put a black hood over his head and dress him in a black robe. He is the African American's clone of the KKK. He gives the words "hypocrisy" and "racist" new meaning.

Godfather
04-13-2007, 08:17 AM
It's a YouTube/Internet world and Imus got caught up in the vortex of a 24 hour news cycle that kept churning the story until he went down.

I enjoyed listening to Imus during my 7-8 a.m. drive time when he usually had on his best guests and kept sidekick Bernard McGuirk's racist diatribes to a minimum (last month Bernard said Hillary Clinton was pandering to the black vote so much she would be wearing cornrows and gold teeth soon). What sunk Imus was that the slur on the Rutgers players came out of his mouth rather than Bernard's (who set him up with an initial slur) and that at the press conference on Tuesday the Rutgers players clearly were not as Imus described them.

I liked his show too, and I think firing was a little excessive. What I don't get is why MSNBC hired a shock jock with a history of inflammatory statements and then was suprised that he made an inflammatory statement.

Other thing I don't get is that Walton and Johnson do far worse than what Imus said, on a daily basis, and get away with it.

Jeremy
04-13-2007, 08:23 AM
True story here.

The Black Student Alliance at Frostburg State University in Maryland raised money to build a fountain on campus. My sophomore year, someone thought it would be funny to put dish soap in the water to make it a bubble fountain. Our PC University President threw a fit and said once the police had figured out who had done it, the individuals would be prosecuted for a hate crime. That's right folks. Bubbles in a fountain was a hate crime in the backwards world of political correctness. Don Imus did not deserve to get fired. Political correctness is out of control in this country. Race baiters like Jackson and Sharpton have become more of a problem than anyone else because they insist on acting like it's still 1963.

verks36
04-13-2007, 08:31 AM
he deserved it after what he called them

CBS had no choice

Jeremy
04-13-2007, 08:36 AM
he deserved it after what he called them

CBS had no choice

So should record labels drop rappers when they use the same word? That's a pretty big double standard even for a tree hugging liberal.

Mosca
04-13-2007, 09:26 AM
Imus KNOWS everything surrounding what he said; that it's OK for some people to
say "nappy headed ho" and not OK for others.

Thing is, he thought he was cool enough to be one of the people for whom it was
OK, and he very rudely found out that he wasn't. But at that point, he could
have made it OK! All he had to do was say essentially that, and all would have
been forgiven(IMO); "I thought I was cool enough to say that, and I found out
that I wasn't. Now I know, and I won't do it again." But the guy is too proud,
and he still thinks he's too cool, and THAT is what America doesn't like. We
like our egalitarianism; we don't mind people being above us, but we don't like
them acting that way.

Tom

Jeremy
04-13-2007, 09:29 AM
Imus KNOWS everything surrounding what he said; that it's OK for some people to
say "nappy headed ho" and not OK for others.

Thing is, he thought he was cool enough to be one of the people for whom it was
OK, and he very rudely found out that he wasn't. But at that point, he could
have made it OK! All he had to do was say essentially that, and all would have
been forgiven(IMO); "I thought I was cool enough to say that, and I found out
that I wasn't. Now I know, and I won't do it again." But the guy is too proud,
and he still thinks he's too cool, and THAT is what America doesn't like. We
like our egalitarianism; we don't mind people being above us, but we don't like
them acting that way.

Tom

It's not ok for anyone. Either we're united as one culture or we're not. It's as simple as that.

Mosca
04-13-2007, 09:52 AM
It's not ok for anyone. Either we're united as one culture or we're not. It's as simple as that.

I didn't mean "OK" in the sense of proper; I meant that in practice, the words are acceptable when spoken by some and not so when spoken by others.

And, if only it were that simple. but if you live, like I do, in an area where there is an Irish Catholic Church directly across the street from a Polish Catholic Church, you'll realize that the illusion of homogeneity of a culture is just that; you can't even get a neighborhood to unite on cultural issues, let alone a country.

Tom

Jeremy
04-13-2007, 09:55 AM
I didn't mean "OK" in the sense of proper; I meant that in practice, the words are acceptable when spoken by some and not so when spoken by others.

And, if only it were that simple. but if you live, like I do, in an area where there is an Irish Catholic Church directly across the street from a Polish Catholic Church, you'll realize that the illusion of homogeneity of a culture is just that; you can't even get a neighborhood to unite on cultural issues, let alone a country.

Tom

It should simple that the word *****, or any variation of that word, is unacceptable by anyone to use except when referring to someone who's actually a member of that profession.

tony hipchest
04-13-2007, 10:09 AM
It's not ok for anyone. Either we're united as one culture or we're not. It's as simple as that.sure it is. (and were definitely not united as 1 culture)

i can call whitney houston a "crack head ho" or brittney spears a "bald headed bush bitch" and get a laugh out of it. i made light reference to female basketball players as horses in the kentucky derby. jim rome does it all the time.

mosca is right. imus was trying to be "cool", "down" or "with it" by using a generic slang phrase, which i believe has been watered down. i remember when N.W.A. popularized the term "strawberry" back in the late 80's. its like the term "ghetto booty", or "fag". these words dont quite have the same connotation as when originated.

the thing is having enough tact to know your audience. i certainly wouldnt talk like that in front of the president of my company cause i know the possibility exists of presenting a non professional attitude and losing my job.

steelerbackr4life
04-13-2007, 10:11 AM
Imus was an old has been who didnt have a clue when it came to racial sensitivity. The free air waves are better off without him. His ill informed unthought out attempt at humor is exactly the kind of thing that these young women are working hard at to overcome. Hats off to those girls and their coach for handling all this B.S. with class and dignity.

Atlanta Dan
04-13-2007, 10:15 AM
I liked his show too, and I think firing was a little excessive. What I don't get is why MSNBC hired a shock jock with a history of inflammatory statements and then was suprised that he made an inflammatory statement.

Other thing I don't get is that Walton and Johnson do far worse than what Imus said, on a daily basis, and get away with it.

Imus had walked the line for years as his show evolved and provided a platform for NBC and Newsweek (which has an arrangment with MSNBC) talent to go on MSNBC in the morning. Imus started out as a pure shock jock and when Howard Stern started to out shock him in the late 80s evolved the show into a schizo blend of serious interviews and the race/gender baiting. If this was Stern or Opie & Anthony nobody would care because the politicians and media heavyweights that had to run for cover & denounce what they have always known was going on with Imus In The Morning do not show up on those pure shock programs.

Imus nearly went down when he insulted his media buds and the Clintons at the White House Correspndents Dinner in the mid-90s, but that was an attack on the powerful and before everything could be recycled on the Internet.

I think what sunk him this time was that with the Internet people could listen to the vile insult (which was made at 6:15 a.m. prior to the "upscale" portion of the program) and it was directed at some nice college kids rather than Sharpton, Jackson, Bush, Gonzales, or Cardinal Egan. Plus his radio ratings have been sinking for years and his corporate patrons (Karmazin & Hollander) were no longer at CBS to protect him. So he was more vulnerable than he believed once he screwed up.

FYI is a link to a good, cold-blooded analysis in the Washington Post as to why he went down this time.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/rawfisher/2007/04/imus_not_in_the_morning.html?hpid=topnews

steelerbackr4life
04-13-2007, 10:20 AM
Very good post right on Dan

Jeremy
04-13-2007, 10:22 AM
Imus was an old has been who didnt have a clue when it came to racial sensitivity. The free air waves are better off without him. His ill informed unthought out attempt at humor is exactly the kind of thing that these young women are working hard at to overcome. Hats off to those girls and their coach for handling all this B.S. with class and dignity.

Class and dignity? It's not dignified to go on Oprah. And don't start with racial sensitivity. I've been called a ****ing cracker in the middle of a college poli sci class and nobody said a word to the kid who said it. So spare me with your racial sensitivity crap. I'm tired of two different sets of standards for behavior. It's not tolerated where I work and it shouldn't be tolerated anywhere else either.

Edman
04-13-2007, 10:59 AM
Racial Sensitivity? Class and Dignity? It's just a stupid phrase! I guarantee you if some random dude went up to me and called me a no-account ****** on the street, I wouldn't throw a freaking hissy fit and whine to the media or on a talk show. He doesn't know me, or my life. I know I'm not a N-A N, so why should I care what the A-Hole has to say?

Black people went through much worse crap in the Civil War days. And that was Centuries ago. America as well as the Rutgers players need to grow a backbone. They know they aren't "nappy-headed ho's" so why should they care? They whined and got what they wanted, and Imus was fired.

memphissteelergirl
04-13-2007, 11:27 AM
This columnist was on the "Today" show this morning giving his POV on the situation and made a whole lotta sense. Here is the link to his column:

http://www.kansascity.com/182/story/66339.html

I'd also like to address something HG said about African Americans "segregating" themselves. Well, the organizations she mentioned were started because African Americans had no representation or voice in mainstream American society. Thus, they exist now because segreation already existed in this country. Now, I do admit that in this day and time many of them need to re-shift their focus to other issues, but I have to disagree that they did not (and still do to a certain extent) have a purpose.

steelerbackr4life
04-13-2007, 12:10 PM
Class and dignity? It's not dignified to go on Oprah.
And don't start with racial sensitivity. I've been called a ****ing cracker in the middle of a college poli sci class and nobody said a word to the kid who said it. So spare me with your racial sensitivity crap. I'm tired of two different sets of standards for behavior. It's not tolerated where I work and it shouldn't be tolerated anywhere else either.

It is possible to still maintain a sense of class and dignity no matter where you are.For all we know they could have been scheduled to go on there before some old man decided to degrade them on a nationally syndicated show. They did after all manage to make it to the final game of the NCAAs with not one senior on the team and all of them being academic standouts.

So because you were called a name in a class and got your feelings hurt. Then no one came to your defense it isnt ok for someone to speak up for these girls?

tony hipchest
04-13-2007, 12:25 PM
jason whitlock is a well respected member of the sports media and appearantly even more than just sports media outlets are applauding his column on wednesday. those who watched "sports reporters" on ESPN will recognize him. since i already had the column from the link memphissteelergirl provided ready to cut and paste, here it is.Imus isn’t the real bad guy
Instead of wasting time on irrelevant shock jock, black leaders need to be fighting a growing gangster culture.
By JASON WHITLOCK - Columnist

Thank you, Don Imus. You’ve given us (black people) an excuse to avoid our real problem.

You’ve given Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson another opportunity to pretend that the old fight, which is now the safe and lucrative fight, is still the most important fight in our push for true economic and social equality.

You’ve given Vivian Stringer and Rutgers the chance to hold a nationally televised recruiting celebration expertly disguised as a news conference to respond to your poor attempt at humor.

Thank you, Don Imus. You extended Black History Month to April, and we can once again wallow in victimhood, protest like it’s 1965 and delude ourselves into believing that fixing your hatred is more necessary than eradicating our self-hatred.

The bigots win again.

While we’re fixated on a bad joke cracked by an irrelevant, bad shock jock, I’m sure at least one of the marvelous young women on the Rutgers basketball team is somewhere snapping her fingers to the beat of 50 Cent’s or Snoop Dogg’s or Young Jeezy’s latest ode glorifying nappy-headed pimps and hos.

I ain’t saying Jesse, Al and Vivian are gold-diggas, but they don’t have the heart to mount a legitimate campaign against the real black-folk killas.

It is us. At this time, we are our own worst enemies. We have allowed our youths to buy into a culture (hip hop) that has been perverted, corrupted and overtaken by prison culture. The music, attitude and behavior expressed in this culture is anti-black, anti-education, demeaning, self-destructive, pro-drug dealing and violent.

Rather than confront this heinous enemy from within, we sit back and wait for someone like Imus to have a slip of the tongue and make the mistake of repeating the things we say about ourselves.

It’s embarrassing. Dave Chappelle was offered $50 million to make racially insensitive jokes about black and white people on TV. He was hailed as a genius. Black comedians routinely crack jokes about white and black people, and we all laugh out loud.

I’m no Don Imus apologist. He and his tiny companion Mike Lupica blasted me after I fell out with ESPN. Imus is a hack.

But, in my view, he didn’t do anything outside the norm for shock jocks and comedians. He also offered an apology. That should’ve been the end of this whole affair. Instead, it’s only the beginning. It’s an opportunity for Stringer, Jackson and Sharpton to step on victim platforms and elevate themselves and their agenda$.

I watched the Rutgers news conference and was ashamed.

Martin Luther King Jr. spoke for eight minutes in 1963 at the March on Washington. At the time, black people could be lynched and denied fundamental rights with little thought. With the comments of a talk-show host most of her players had never heard of before last week serving as her excuse, Vivian Stringer rambled on for 30 minutes about the amazing season her team had.

Somehow, we’re supposed to believe that the comments of a man with virtually no connection to the sports world ruined Rutgers’ wonderful season. Had a broadcaster with credibility and a platform in the sports world uttered the words Imus did, I could understand a level of outrage.

But an hourlong press conference over a man who has already apologized, already been suspended and is already insignificant is just plain intellectually dishonest. This is opportunism. This is a distraction.

In the grand scheme, Don Imus is no threat to us in general and no threat to black women in particular. If his words are so powerful and so destructive and must be rebuked so forcefully, then what should we do about the idiot rappers on BET, MTV and every black-owned radio station in the country who use words much more powerful and much more destructive?

I don’t listen or watch Imus’ show regularly. Has he at any point glorified selling crack cocaine to black women? Has he celebrated black men shooting each other randomly? Has he suggested in any way that it’s cool to be a baby-daddy rather than a husband and a parent? Does he tell his listeners that they’re suckers for pursuing education and that they’re selling out their race if they do?

When Imus does any of that, call me and I’ll get upset. Until then, he is what he is — a washed-up shock jock who is very easy to ignore when you’re not looking to be made a victim.

No. We all know where the real battleground is. We know that the gangsta rappers and their followers in the athletic world have far bigger platforms to negatively define us than some old white man with a bad radio show. There’s no money and lots of danger in that battle, so Jesse and Al are going to sit it out.

steelerbackr4life
04-13-2007, 12:33 PM
Racial Sensitivity? Class and Dignity? It's just a stupid phrase! I guarantee you if some random dude went up to me and called me a no-account ****** on the street, I wouldn't throw a freaking hissy fit and whine to the media or on a talk show. He doesn't know me, or my life. I know I'm not a N-A N, so why should I care what the A-Hole has to say?

Black people went through much worse crap in the Civil War days. And that was Centuries ago. America as well as the Rutgers players need to grow a backbone. They know they aren't "nappy-headed ho's" so why should they care? They whined and got what they wanted, and Imus was fired.

I disagree I dont hink these two phrases are " stupid" overused at times yes but not "stupid". I have been called many racial slurs and been in many a fight because of them, while growing up in urban America. There were also times as I grew older when I didnt care what the A-Hole had to say. However I have never been called something on a national syndicated outlet and dont know what I would do. The team agreed to have a meeting with Imus and has not participated in any rallies or marches that have been going on under the guidance of some very zealous politicians who have in the past used unhonest tactics and claims to get what they wanted. The harshest thing they have said was that all of the flac generated by the comments took away from their achievement. I believe they had a press conference today saying that they forgave him. As human beings I think that shows tremendous backbone.

I agree with you and Jeremy that there is a problem with things getting blown out of proportion to a degree. I dont however think it is fair to place the blame on the team for all the backlash that has befallen Imus for his inexcusable and untactful comments.

Atlanta Dan
04-13-2007, 12:50 PM
I dont however think it is fair to place the blame on the team for all the backlash that has befallen Imus for his inexcusable and untactful comments.

I agree

McGuirk and Imus described the Rutgers players as tattooed and rough. Leaving the dignity of the players aside (which should not be left aside), if only to maintain the reputation of the team and avoid an image that might hurt future recruiting it was necessary for the team to not only protest the slurs but hold the press conference to show who they really were. As for the apology last night, Imus sought that meeting in a doomed effort to save his own neck.

Imus created the problem and Jackson/Sharpton used the incident to once again play their tired vaudeville act that uses someone else's misfortune to advance their own agendas. Imus handed them a loaded gun and they shot him with it - hard to see how the Rutgers team is responsible for any of that bulls**t.

83-Steelers-43
04-13-2007, 02:12 PM
To have Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton act as the ethics police is a joke.

Jesse Jackson: "four out of five [of Nixon's top advisors] are German Jews and their priorities are on Europe and Asia"; that he was "sick and tired of hearing about the Holocaust"; that there are "very few Jewish reporters that have the capacity to be objective about Arab affairs"; The Duke case (that included the Black Panthers also) and finally, Jackson had referred to Jews as "Hymies" and to New York City as "Hymietown" in January 1984.

Al Sharpton: Where to begin? There's Tawana Brawley. There's Crown Heights. Freddy's Fashion Mart in Harlem and LoanMax.

These two have a fairly large following and it's pretty scary if you ask me. After all of that, it's funny how they keep a high status in this country. Little to no backlash for those comments. Little to no media coverage for those comments. Everything is fine and dandy.

Once again, a huge double standard but let's focus on Imus until his death and keep the double standard in this country hush-hush.

RoethlisBURGHer
04-13-2007, 02:18 PM
I have a question,do the Rutgers girls basketball players have tattooed arms and look tough?I truly have never really looked at them,I am not a big basketball fan.

If they are,then I am sure many people have looked at them and though "thug" and "trouble maker".

It's another stereotype,that persons (man or woman) with tattoos on thier arms,are "thugs" and "trouble makers".Hell,many of the people that get them want that image.

If the girls indeed are tattooed and "rough looking",they brought some of it on themselves by going for the stereotypical look.

memphissteelergirl
04-13-2007, 02:28 PM
:wink02: I think we had the same idea, Tony....lol!

Atlanta Dan
04-13-2007, 03:07 PM
I have a question,do the Rutgers girls basketball players have tattooed arms and look tough?I truly have never really looked at them,I am not a big basketball fan.

If they are,then I am sure many people have looked at them and though "thug" and "trouble maker".

It's another stereotype,that persons (man or woman) with tattoos on thier arms,are "thugs" and "trouble makers".Hell,many of the people that get them want that image.

If the girls indeed are tattooed and "rough looking",they brought some of it on themselves by going for the stereotypical look.

Here is a link to an article with a photo of the team - they look like real gangstas.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/11/sports/ncaabasketball/11rutgers.html

Here is a link to an article on the tattoo issue

If Imus knew anything about these girls, he'd realize saying "they have tattoos" was silly -- only one player has a tattoo, center Kia Vaughn. It's a basketball and her name in cursive. She covers it up when she plays.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/aditi_kinkhabwala/04/09/imus.react/index.html

Rutgers is a top flight Division I baskeball program which means they have tall black players - that look was enough for Imus and McGuirk to slander them.

Hines0wnz
04-13-2007, 03:08 PM
Good riddance, this nut has been out to pasture for a long time anyway. But I do believe (and agree with some folks on talk radio) that Sharpton and Jackson do not accurately represent blacks in America. These 2 clowns have no real careers except to make issues out of virtual non-issues. Imus and the Duke scandal are just the latest examples.

As Adam Carolla said the other morning, people are getting along like bees working in a beehive then someone like Sharpton comes along and whacks the hive which pisses everyone off. Then he scurries away looking for the next hive to smack. Quite accurate if you ask me. :thumbsup:

83-Steelers-43
04-13-2007, 03:23 PM
Let's find a positive in all of this. At least we don't have to hear about Anna Nicole Smith 24/7.

:thumbsup:

steelerbackr4life
04-13-2007, 04:30 PM
Unless of course Al Sharpton finds he is geneticaly linked somehow. Then starts protesting for his cut of the fortune. :banging:

Godfather
04-13-2007, 08:08 PM
Class and dignity? It's not dignified to go on Oprah. And don't start with racial sensitivity. I've been called a ****ing cracker in the middle of a college poli sci class and nobody said a word to the kid who said it. So spare me with your racial sensitivity crap. I'm tired of two different sets of standards for behavior. It's not tolerated where I work and it shouldn't be tolerated anywhere else either.

Damn, that's F'ed up. Where did you go to college? I'm curious because I've enver been called that, and I lived in big bad New Orleans for 12 years.

Stlrs4Life
04-13-2007, 08:40 PM
Imus firing was a little excessive. Just wish it was Rush Limbaugh instead of Imus.

GBMelBlount
04-13-2007, 08:54 PM
Edman, respect your post. Sharpton & Jackson are shakedown artist "race bating poverty pimps." Utter trash. This is a free country and I am entitled to express my opinion, REGARDLESS of what it is. However, I have no respect for what IMUS said with his trash talk. I believe that was flat out wrong. noone took the high road here but again, there is no need for people like IMUS to make racist genrealizations like that.....only my humble opionion.

Maidenarcher
04-15-2007, 11:00 AM
On the Don Imus firing - I think it was justified as he should have exercised better judgment knowing how sensitive an issue racism is. Media personalities, celebrities, public officials, etc. are right out there in the open for all to see and hear - Imus must have had a major brain fart not thinking there wouldn't be hell to pay over his comment.

Now - to the nitty gritty - I strongly believe that African Americans segregate themselves for the most part and are equally guilty of racism as are any other race, if not more. Black Miss America and Miss USA pageants, United Negro College Fund, NAACP and the list goes on. Can you imagine their outcry if a White Miss America or Miss USA pageant were created? They don't like being referred to as "colored people", but what do the letters NAACP stand for? White high school seniors cannot apply/compete for a scholarship through the UNCF - they are turned down because of their "color". I really believe that African Americans today bring on a lot of their own grief themselves with the double standards they continue to exhibit.

As for Al Sharpton - you might as well put a black hood over his head and dress him in a black robe. He is the African American's clone of the KKK. He gives the words "hypocrisy" and "racist" new meaning.

Great Post! Couldn't agree more..................

You mentioned something in your post that I would really like to touch base on. The word usage of African American.........African American is not a race. It does not mean that you are black, and I personally believe that the word should not even exist. There are many black people who insist on being called African American....However, my question to anyone is this......What is Charlize Theron(the actress/model)? She is really from Africa. She is more African than most (by that I mean she is from Africa and not just her ancestors) and she is white.........As are many people in Africa.....So, I think the PC term is a bunch of BS....Besides, I don't go around demanding to be called an Irish, French, Native American....I am just white. Not only that, but Africa is a continent. There are many different ethnicities living in those countries that are not just black or white.....So, it just seems ignorant for a person to want to categorize themself in a manner like that if they are using the term as a reference of color.

And just a FYI about true Africans......
My cousin has worked in Africa for the last 8 or 9 years and true African people do not have very good opinions about blacks in the United States or other countries where they really have it made, but want to piss and moan about what they don't have.......My cousin employs as many locals as he can and I tell you many of them only make $20.00 a week or month depending on their duties. And, many of them have told my cousin that they wished their people would have sold their ancestors into slavery so they could be living a better live in this country. They believe blacks here are lazy and don't appreciate the opportunity given to them to have a better life.They also believe blacks here have no right to call themselves African American...They should just be proud to call themselves American.......NOW, PLEASE REMEMBER THESE ARE NOT MY WORDS, BUT THE WORDS FROM PEOPLE IN AFRICA.

As for my true feelings, it is a shame that in this day and age that race is still an issue. However, it will always be......I personally am not a racist, but I am very prejudice. Prejudice against ignorance, laziness, attitude, people that choose to not educate themselves and take what others have, people that have no respect for others that they have to curse in front of children, etc, etc (the list could go on and on).........But to hate a person for the color of their skin is the most absurd thing I have ever heard.

polamalufan43
04-15-2007, 12:19 PM
As for my true feelings, it is a shame that in this day and age that race is still an issue. However, it will always be......I personally am not a racist, but I am very prejudice. Prejudice against ignorance, laziness, attitude, people that choose to not educate themselves and take what others have, people that have no respect for others that they have to curse in front of children, etc, etc (the list could go on and on).........But to hate a person for the color of their skin is the most absurd thing I have ever heard.

I agree. I've been around people who I hate to say it but they are racist. Personally, I don't see a point in it because I have friends who were of all different races from africans to chinese to hindu. What I don't get is that the color of someone's skin is as big an issue as it is. I mean, so what if thier skin is darker?

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

tony hipchest
04-16-2007, 11:02 PM
Imus was spotted at the most recent "miss america" pageant-

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/Miss-America.jpg

SteelCzar76
04-16-2007, 11:36 PM
Great Post! Couldn't agree more..................

You mentioned something in your post that I would really like to touch base on. The word usage of African American.........African American is not a race. It does not mean that you are black, and I personally believe that the word should not even exist. There are many black people who insist on being called African American....However, my question to anyone is this......What is Charlize Theron(the actress/model)? She is really from Africa. She is more African than most (by that I mean she is from Africa and not just her ancestors) and she is white.........As are many people in Africa.....So, I think the PC term is a bunch of BS....Besides, I don't go around demanding to be called an Irish, French, Native American....I am just white. Not only that, but Africa is a continent. There are many different ethnicities living in those countries that are not just black or white.....So, it just seems ignorant for a person to want to categorize themself in a manner like that if they are using the term as a reference of color.

And just a FYI about true Africans......
My cousin has worked in Africa for the last 8 or 9 years and true African people do not have very good opinions about blacks in the United States or other countries where they really have it made, but want to piss and moan about what they don't have.......My cousin employs as many locals as he can and I tell you many of them only make $20.00 a week or month depending on their duties. And, many of them have told my cousin that they wished their people would have sold their ancestors into slavery so they could be living a better live in this country. They believe blacks here are lazy and don't appreciate the opportunity given to them to have a better life.They also believe blacks here have no right to call themselves African American...They should just be proud to call themselves American.......NOW, PLEASE REMEMBER THESE ARE NOT MY WORDS, BUT THE WORDS FROM PEOPLE IN AFRICA.

You raise some very good points Lady Artemis. But have you considered the fact that more "Black Americans" (for lack of better words) than you might possibly imagine,... realize that on a Genetic level they are no more "Pure African" any more than a vast amount of "American whites" could consider themselves "Pure caucasian".

And i could be wrong but,......i thought progeny tended improve upon and and or surpass it's predecessors with an increase in the 'depth' of their 'Gene pool' ? (Ie: inbreeding and or restricted numbers of a populations "choices",....leads to deficiency on an integral level)

As oppossed to hundreds of years of a system of control and or brainwashing of the masses in their entirety (ie All 'suppossed races' of the general public)

GBMelBlount
04-16-2007, 11:49 PM

Wow, htg, your posts are generally mild and agreeable. However, your post is an absolute blowout!!!!! You hit the nail on the head! I hope the truth doesn't ban you from this website! (just kidding!) GB, TD.

Maidenarcher
04-17-2007, 04:10 PM
You raise some very good points Lady Artemis. But have you considered the fact that more "Black Americans" (for lack of better words) than you might possibly imagine,... realize that on a Genetic level they are no more "Pure African" any more than a vast amount of "American whites" could consider themselves "Pure caucasian".

And i could be wrong but,......i thought progeny tended improve upon and and or surpass it's predecessors with an increase in the 'depth' of their 'Gene pool' ? (Ie: inbreeding and or restricted numbers of a populations "choices",....leads to deficiency on an integral level)

As oppossed to hundreds of years of a system of control and or brainwashing of the masses in their entirety (ie All 'suppossed races' of the general public)

First, let me just say I really like the nickname....Lady Artemis...I love Greek Mythology. The reason I chose my handle is because I am a Sagitarius(an archer), and of course a female...So, I dig that you get all that....If my memory serves correct, Artemis was usually depicted with bows and arrows.

Now, on to business.......I get what you are saying...And, I hope that you understand, I wasn't trying to insinuate that Blacks think they are pure or more pure than anyone...I was just trying to point out that people who are black that want to be called African American on the basis of their color is not choosing the correct usage of the term. African American is not a color.................

SteelCzar76
04-17-2007, 09:19 PM
First, let me just say I really like the nickname....Lady Artemis...I love Greek Mythology. The reason I chose my handle is because I am a Sagitarius(an archer), and of course a female...So, I dig that you get all that....If my memory serves correct, Artemis was usually depicted with bows and arrows.

Now, on to business.......I get what you are saying...And, I hope that you understand, I wasn't trying to insinuate that Blacks think they are pure or more pure than anyone...I was just trying to point out that people who are black that want to be called African American on the basis of their color is not choosing the correct usage of the term. African American is not a color.................

I wasn't saying that you were insinuating as much Lady Artemis. I was saying that i believe that the Genetic diversity of both the suppossed 'Whites and Blacks" of this historical "New World",.......lends a degree of 'improvement' (so to speak) in regards to a greater measure of quality over that of both of our initial 'stocks' if you will.

And yes,.....you are very correct that the term "African American" is not an adequate classification for any whom are not relatively recent immigrants from a Nation on that continent.

And for the the record,...Al sharpton is just as much a Clown as any other bigot of any "breed" in the history of this Nation. LOL

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-18-2007, 02:10 PM
I used to work with an older african-american gentleman named Wylie....I distinctly remember the two of us sitting at break outside one day... laughing and sharing stories....and the thought crossed my mind that neither of us were thinking in terms of ...white friend...black friend...just two friends enjoying each others company with mutual respect....and I had to think THIS is what Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was talking about.........Wylie once told me once that "a racist puts himself in a "false" place to look down at others...a victim puts himself in "false" place ..forced to look up...I choose to look every man in the eye."

nuff said

augustashark
04-18-2007, 02:24 PM
I used to work with an older african-american gentleman named Wylie....I distinctly remember the two of us sitting at break outside one day... laughing and sharing stories....and the thought crossed my mind that neither of us were thinking in terms of ...white friend...black friend...just two friends enjoying each others company with mutual respect....and I had to think THIS is what Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was talking about.........Wylie once told me once that "a racist puts himself in a "false" place to look down at others...a victim puts himself in "false" place ..forced to look up...I choose to look every man in the eye."

nuff said

We will be were we need to be when this thought is not a thought at all.