PDA

View Full Version : Steelers | Porter makes comments on schedule

ChronoCross
04-13-2007, 12:27 AM
Steelers | Porter makes comments on schedule
Thu, 12 Apr 2007 21:19:17 -0700
Ray Fittipaldo, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, reports the Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.kffl.com/team/30/nfl) game against the Miami Dolphins (http://www.kffl.com/team/22/nfl) will be a homecoming for former Steelers (http://www.kffl.com/team/30/nfl) LB Joey Porter (http://www.kffl.com/player/1520/nfl) (Dolphins), who told ESPN's NFL (http://www.kffl.com/team/77/nfl) Live yesterday afternoon that he is coming to Heinz Field to take care of some "unfinished business." When he was asked about what that unfinished business was, Porter replied: "I didn't get a fair shot to stay or whatever."

klick81
04-13-2007, 12:41 AM
Bring it on Joey! I love you man, but you're not gonna show us up!

Edman
04-13-2007, 12:52 AM
Let him feel that way.

I never cheer for the enemy even if he was the most popular Steeler of all time. You're an Ex-Steeler now Joey. You're the enemy of the Steelers. You must be defeated, and I will enjoy every moment of it. Joey the Steeler I like, Joey the Dolphin I dislike.

Borski
04-13-2007, 12:56 AM
Man, I still like Joey, but we're gonna take him down just like any other opponent. If I happen to catch any Dolphin games this season, I'll be rootin for him though.

SteelersMongol
04-13-2007, 03:31 AM
What? I can't believe this s#*t. What was he talking about? Is he trying to take it out on his fellow former teammates? :jawdrop: Wow. It hasn't been that long and he's already counting us his enemies and all. Well, then I hope our o-linemen can kick his sorry a$$! :tt02: This is even worse than when The Bus said we were lousy players a year ago. :dang:

Steel Pit
04-13-2007, 03:45 AM
We've watched Porter play for several years. He's no freaking bully. His highlight hits were on QB's and they always got right back up. PLEASE!!!!! Porter's not considered to be a vicious player. He fears no one.

With that being said, the Steelers may want to watch out for him during the pre-game warm ups. He may try to hit one of them in the mouth or possibly spit on them.

Porter, STFU! We know you all to well. You're no Lambert or Lloyd. You're simply a big mouth-ice hole. :blah:

Steeldude
04-13-2007, 06:22 AM
porter is still a babbling fool. he won't do anything the entire game.

i predict an assist for his final stat sheet. then the porter fans can say he was doubled and tripled all game...lol.

Steeldude
04-13-2007, 06:25 AM
Let him feel that way.

I never cheer for the enemy even if he was the most popular Steeler of all time. You're an Ex-Steeler now Joey. You're the enemy of the Steelers. You must be defeated, and I will enjoy every moment of it. Joey the Steeler I like, Joey the Dolphin I dislike.

most popular steeler of all-time? huh?

i like porter the dolphin, i disliked porter the steeler. well at least the last 2 or 3 years he was here were weak. i am glad he is on another team now. that means i don't have to see the standing around and pre-game stupidity any longer.

polamalufan43
04-13-2007, 06:56 AM
Fine, he can come. At least he'll know how it feels to go up against our offense. I still like him, but most likely won't root for him that often unless it's a Phin game.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

abgroove
04-13-2007, 07:34 AM
If you look at his comment, you can see that he wanted to be a Steeler for life. He even said he was a Steeler to that Bungles OL dude that he sucker punched. It's okay for him to want to come back and play well. He, and the Fins will see that he is not the player he once was. That is the reason he's no longer a Steeler. It wasn't the money; it was the talent.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-13-2007, 07:44 AM
Porter had every opportunity in the world to stay....but he wanted too much money...
This is the first I heard of Joey saying he didnt get a fair deal..

Maybe he is missing the black and gold training camp?????
Does he regret leaving for a few million more???

Buzz05
04-13-2007, 08:16 AM
Porter had every opportunity in the world to stay....but he wanted too much money...
This is the first I heard of Joey saying he didnt get a fair deal..

Maybe he is missing the black and gold training camp?????
Does he regret leaving for a few million more???

I hope he does regret it! He's gonna regret it even more when we are in the playoffs and the sorry Phins are stuck at home with nothing to do. Then maybe Joey will say to himself..'wow maybe less money was the better way to go' :dang:

DACEB
04-13-2007, 09:30 AM
Joey Porter told ESPN that he is coming to Heinz Field to take care of some "unfinished business." When he was asked about what that unfinished business was, Porter replied: "I didn't get a fair shot to stay or whatever."

Exactly, WHATEVER!

fansince'76
04-13-2007, 09:38 AM
What? I can't believe this s#*t. What was he talking about? Is he trying to take it out on his fellow former teammates? :jawdrop: Wow. It hasn't been that long and he's already counting us his enemies and all.

Joey became the enemy the second he signed on the dotted line with the Dolphins.

IamTheSteelGod
04-13-2007, 10:02 AM
To be honest fellas you must have been expecting this, I was. Jospeh is a mercenery he will curse any other team he doesn't play for. I loved him but it was time for him to go. However he would have been even more usefull considering the fact Tomlin is considering a cover 2.

ChronoCross
04-13-2007, 10:06 AM
Joey had a fair shot to stay, but he could not keep his mouth close. Like always he became a distraction even to his own contract. He ran himself out of town.

Buzz05
04-13-2007, 10:14 AM
Joey had a fair shot to stay, but he could not keep his mouth close. Like always he became a distraction even to his own contract. He ran himself out of town.

Exactly, he has no one to blame but himself.

Chrono btw I like your avatar, its awsome:thumbsup:

tony hipchest
04-13-2007, 10:27 AM
"I didn't get my fair shot to stay," Porter said on ESPN. ". . . When I come, it's going to be fun to run into my old guys, because I'm coming down with a whole bunch of new friends. It's going to be a business trip, but it's going to be a pleasure for me at the same time."

porter knows how to rush the steelers line. they better be more concerned with the defensive mvp. if its starks blocking joey one on one, i may be a little concerned. im thinking joey will play strong side and play miller in coverage. m. smith will probably have jason taylor.

ChronoCross
04-13-2007, 10:46 AM
They changed Joey's name do to they did not want to really shame a big nfl star for doing something like this;

http://www.ilikelasagna.com/images/Nacho%20Cheese.jpg

So ya like tony said, Nacho man will be probably covering Miller over the middle. :P

steelerbackr4life
04-13-2007, 11:01 AM
Let him feel that way.

Very well put Ed :thumbsup: Also precisely why we should make it a point of posting anything else about Peezy in the NFL Football section. I loved Peezy but he is gone and now we must move on. Lets leave the Steeler section to Steelers!

LambertLunatic
04-13-2007, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
Let him feel that way.

he was the most popular Steeler of all time? Are you suggesting that he was more popular than Bradshaw, Franco, Swann, Stalworth, Webster, Dawson, Jerome, Big Ben,or Ward? Perhaps you mean the most popular defensive steeler of all time? But then, was he more popular than Mean Joe, Blount, Shell, Woodson, or Lake? Ok, maybe he was the most popular Steeler linebacker? Oops, still nowhere near the popularity of Lambert, Ham, Merriwether, Lloyd, or even Earl Holmes, Chad Brown, Robin Cole, or Andy Russel.

Porter never had near the popularity of ANY of the aforementioned, and only approached the talent level of Coles.

tony hipchest
04-13-2007, 01:38 PM
he was the most popular Steeler of all time? Are you suggesting that he was more popular than Bradshaw, Franco, Swann, Stalworth, Webster, Dawson, Jerome, Big Ben,or Ward? Perhaps you mean the most popular defensive steeler of all time? But then, was he more popular than Mean Joe, Blount, Shell, Woodson, or Lake? Ok, maybe he was the most popular Steeler linebacker? Oops, still nowhere near the popularity of Lambert, Ham, Merriwether, Lloyd, or even Earl Holmes, Chad Brown, Robin Cole, or Andy Russel.

Porter never had near the popularity of ANY of the aforementioned, and only approached the talent level of Coles.
what hes suggesting is he wouldnt even cheer for lambert or bradhaw if they went to another team and became the "enemy".

bangpow
04-13-2007, 03:06 PM
Boy, I can't wait for Porters HUGE game line of 2-0-0.

:rolleyes:

TackleMeBen
04-13-2007, 03:35 PM
Maybe Porter feels like he got the shaft from the Steelers, but if he loved the team as much as he claimed then why run to the media and bad mouth them??

1NYSTEELER1
04-13-2007, 04:13 PM
I don't see the big deal, I watched him during that interview and he was asked what it would be like going back to Pittsburgh. Now, I am not fully aware of the contract disputes and all that but I am trying to figure what people would have preferred him to say:

1) No Comment - If he ever uttered this I would be disappointed
OR
2) I love my boys and wish I coulda stayed - He's a Dolphin now so how could he say that, the Dolphins players and fans would,ve loved that.......

He never mentioned anything bad about the city, fans or teamates, So what if he said "unfinished business" and "I didn't get a shot to stay"......He spoke what he felt so I have no problem with that

I live in the Buffalo area and it is a lot better than what Magahee said after he left..........

Don't get me wrong I AM A STEELER FAN AND ALWAYS WILL BE but I enjoyed Joey Porter - the way he played and the attitude he brought to the defense will be missed.

GOOD LUCK JOEY, just not during week #12

Edman
04-13-2007, 04:18 PM

I'm not saying Joey is the most popular Steeler of all time. What I'm saying is that I would NEVER cheer for an ex-Steeler on another team even if was hugely popular when he was here in Pittsburgh. Yes, even the legendary 70's players. But since I wasn't alive back then, I won't have to.:smile:

I appreciate what he has done for us, but he had to go or else he would've put a stranglehold on the organization via holdout. They couldn't pay him, so the organizatiom was nice enough to release him and gave him the opportunity for a big payday somewhere else, where someone else would take a gamble and spend a lot of dough on a 30-year old linebacker on the decline. If Joey wants to burn his bridges, fine with me. I expect the Steelers to be up to the challenge.

stlrtruck
04-13-2007, 04:21 PM
Obviously he forgot about the team he now plays for and the offensive troubles they've got right now.

But come Nov 26 Joey will be taught a lesson about the Steelers Offense. He never played on it. Then after he gets off the field he'll get another lesson about the Steelers Defense - he's replaceable and the Steelers defense is still great without him (if not BETTER).

SteelCzar76
04-13-2007, 06:48 PM
There are many still left on this team that Joey considers 'Brothers in Arms'. When he speaks about 'unfinished buisness' he's talking about that with Colbert and Coach Tomlin.

Meaning,....it's a matter of Honor for him to 'humble' them so to speak in regards to what he percieves as their 'lack or respect' or belief in him as not just as a Linebacker or football player,....but that which he wanted to retire as,.....a Steeler.

GBMelBlount
04-13-2007, 08:14 PM
There are many still left on this team that Joey considers 'Brothers in Arms'. When he speaks about 'unfinished buisness' he's talking about that with Colbert and Coach Tomlin.

Meaning,....it's a matter of Honor for him to 'humble' them so to speak in regards to what he percieves as their 'lack or respect' or belief in him as not just as a Linebacker or football player,....but that which he wanted to retire as,.....a Steeler.

Good point. Also, Joey has alot of pride. He may have also felt a little humiliated/kicked in the gut in addition to the "lack of respect." It's unfortunate he feels that way, but knowing Joey, not surprised. Still wish him the best.

The Duke
04-13-2007, 10:22 PM
It'll be a challenge to go against Joey, I love challenges, just hope the Steelers do too and win this one for the pride of pittsburgh.

GBMelBlount
04-13-2007, 11:34 PM
[QUOTE=ChronoCross;237267]They changed Joey's name do to they did not want to really shame a big nfl star for doing something like this;

http://www.ilikelasagna.com/images/Nacho%20Cheese.jpg

So ya like tony said, Nacho man will be probably covering Miller over the middle. :P[/QUO E]

Bwahh haaaa haaa! Holy crap what a hoot! Porter has pride and has been kicked in the gut by what happened. It is only natural for Joey to blame us. Based on price, definitely the right decision. Nothing personal Joey, you gave your heart & your prime to the steelers....wish only the best for you....however, I hope you will be flat on your back looking up for most of our game this year.

Preacher
04-13-2007, 11:52 PM
What I don't get is...

Joey Porter would have been loved and welcomed back to Pitt anytime he came back after retirement.

Why would he actually throw that away? If he spent a number of years here, and loved the area... why?

Or did he?

fansince'76
04-14-2007, 12:15 AM
What I don't get is...

Joey Porter would have been loved and welcomed back to Pitt anytime he came back after retirement.

Why would he actually throw that away? If he spent a number of years here, and loved the area... why?

Or did he?

I don't know, Preacher - it seems to me most Steelers fans still view Rod Woodson favorably since he retired, and he played for the friggin' Ratbirds. To add insult to injury, he got his only SB ring while playing there. I think once the dust settles on Joey's career most of us are still gonna like him, even though he runs his mouth alot more than Woodson ever did.

pitt
04-14-2007, 12:17 AM
Joey always was a loudmouth. His comments don't surprise me at all.

Preacher
04-14-2007, 12:33 AM
I don't know, Preacher - it seems to me most Steelers fans still view Rod Woodson favorably since he retired, and he played for the friggin' Ratbirds. To add insult to injury, he got his only SB ring while playing there. I think once the dust settles on Joey's career most of us are still gonna like him, even though he runs his mouth alot more than Woodson ever did.

That's the point though... Woodson seemed to always respect the Steelers.

Joey is already running his mouth. I don't get it.

Well... he probably really hates the new coach, because he probably thinks that with Cowher, he would still be there.

fansince'76
04-14-2007, 12:50 AM
That's the point though... Woodson seemed to always respect the Steelers.

Joey is already running his mouth. I don't get it.

Well... he probably really hates the new coach, because he probably thinks that with Cowher, he would still be there.

Good point. I also neglected to mention the respective skill of the players involved. Woodson was one of the all-time great DBs, and while Joey has always been a very good LB, I wouldn't put him in Woodson's class as a player. This plays a part in the level of favoritism shown a retired player as well.

Livinginthe past
04-14-2007, 08:13 AM
I think everybody knows Joey will be trying to do his very best against the Steelers this year - its natural for a player to try and show his old team what they are missing.

Football players have tremendously large ego's, and Porters is bigger than most, when the Steelers made it clear that he wasn't worth as much as he thought he was - that had to hurt.

As far as what he said in the press?

Gee - 'unfinished business'.......hardly seems like he is laying the smack down on Pittsburgh, its team or its fans - he is simply stating a fact - this is what Joey does - he talks BIG before the game - sometimes he can back it up, sometimes he can't.

Borski
04-14-2007, 09:01 AM
I think everybody knows Joey will be trying to do his very best against the Steelers this year - its natural for a player to try and show his old team what they are missing.

Football players have tremendously large ego's, and Porters is bigger than most, when the Steelers made it clear that he wasn't worth as much as he thought he was - that had to hurt.

As far as what he said in the press?

Gee - 'unfinished business'.......hardly seems like he is laying the smack down on Pittsburgh, its team or its fans - he is simply stating a fact - this is what Joey does - he talks BIG before the game - sometimes he can back it up, sometimes he can't.

I have to agree with you here, I think most of the fans are making it out to be more then it is.

Steelers droped him, Dolphins picked him up.
He is going to play hard against his former team, so them what they missed out on.
Would you expect him to start tackling other defensive Miami players (although not a bad idea) so Willie can get a TD? I saw the interview, nothing upset me about it.

ben2hines=6
04-16-2007, 02:40 PM
if he thinks that he was ever gonna get the money from us that he got from the fins than he's crazy....he got overpaid there and the steelers knew what he was looking for and he wasnt ever gonna get it here....we made the mistake with giving gildon the huge contract later in his career (not saying that porter is old) and we got royally burned for it and we couldnt risk the same happening again

SteelerFanInCA
04-16-2007, 05:33 PM
No biggie. It's just Joey being Joey.

I'm sure he will be fired up for this game but then again so will we. :tt02:

Steelersfan4life0655
04-16-2007, 05:41 PM
kinda intresting to see the Marvel Smith vs. Joey Porter matchup, should be intresting. Always got love for Peezy, but i hope we kick the crap out a Miami that night. :tt02:

Elvis
04-16-2007, 07:51 PM
First of all, I just watched the 2005 Steelers Americas Game that I had recorded. I love Porter and what he stood for with our team for so many years. And it is gonna be hard to see him in other than our Black N Gold isnt it? But, this NFL thing is a business and the Steelers thought it was good business to let him go instead of paying the Big $$ for someone they thought was past his prime. I think that he is past his prime myself, but I do wish the man luck every game... Well, except VS the Steelers of course. GO BLACKNGOLD!!!

fugawzi
04-16-2007, 07:52 PM
well said 'livinginthe past'...Porter def. has a big ego

Justin Otstott
04-17-2007, 09:35 AM
damn this changes everything I think about the guy, **** you Joey!

MJ5150
04-17-2007, 06:04 PM
Joey....you just buried your team and whatever QB you guys end up picking up.

-Mike

fugawzi
04-17-2007, 11:29 PM
HAHAHA...:sofunny: I love how people think Joey's "past him prime" now that he plays for the Dolphins, and not the Steelers. But if you look at his numbers on NFL.com , he has about the same number of tackles and sacks in his last 4 years than his first 4. and has THE SAME amount of Interceptions in his last 4 years as his first. kudos to all those wishing him well and not criticizing his level of play just because he left Pittsburgh.

Porter's career numbers

first 4 years '99-'02 = 169 tackles, 30.5 sacks and 10 passes defended
last 4 years '03-'06 = 165 tackles, 29.5 sacks and 23 passes defended

5 interceptions in the first and last 4 years each = 10 total

Doesn't look like he's on the decline to me :coffee:

Livinginthe past
04-18-2007, 12:28 AM
HAHAHA...:sofunny: I love how people think Joey's "past him prime" now that he plays for the Dolphins, and not the Steelers. But if you look at his numbers on NFL.com , he has about the same number of tackles and sacks in his last 4 years than his first 4. and has THE SAME amount of Interceptions in his last 4 years as his first. kudos to all those wishing him well and not criticizing his level of play just because he left Pittsburgh.

Porter's career numbers

first 4 years '99-'02 = 169 tackles, 30.5 sacks and 10 passes defended
last 4 years '03-'06 = 165 tackles, 29.5 sacks and 23 passes defended

5 interceptions in the first and last 4 years each = 10 total

Doesn't look like he's on the decline to me :coffee:

I presume people are judging him on more than his pure stats - the feeling I get from most Steeler fans is that he filled his boots against weak opposition but was totally anonymous when faced with high quality.

brind666
04-18-2007, 02:40 AM
if ben struggles again this year i wouldnt mind see Porter put a BIG hit on him so we can get Batch in the game :-)

Steel Pit
04-18-2007, 03:22 AM
if ben struggles again this year i wouldnt mind see Porter put a BIG hit on him so we can get Batch in the game :-)

You a funny man. If Porter did happen to lay Roethlisberger out with a big hit then we would have to chalk it up as Porter's FIRST QB knockout.

Cut the CRAP people. Porter did a good job during his tenure with the Steelers and occasionally he would have a great game BUT, Porter IS NOT a tough guy. Porter IS NOT a bully, Porter IS NOT a big hitter, NO ONE fears Joey Porter. He simply filled an OLB position and did his job PERIOD!

MJ5150
04-18-2007, 10:48 PM
HAHAHA...:sofunny: I love how people think Joey's "past him prime" now that he plays for the Dolphins, and not the Steelers.

Well, the problem started when Porter was elevated to the status of other big time, game changing LB's in the league. He has never been one of those guys.

He is a hard nose player who plays with a lot of emotion. Sure, he had his moments and made some big plays during his years in Pittsburgh. He was just not the player a lot of us made him out to be. It became more and more obvious on the field as other teams stepped up to stop him. The pressure started building and the attention started shifting to Joey. Thus revealing he wasn't quite the LB he appeared to be. If he was as great as we all wanted him to be, he would have turned into one of the many great Steeler LB's and started dominating the defense as guys like Urlacher and Merriman do.

Don't get me wrong, I like the way he played in Pittsburgh. He'll probably play well in Miami since there are some other studs on the Dolphin D to take all the pressure off Joey. Porter was a smart man to take the job in Miami.

He won't do anything dramatic in the game against us. Just like a bunch of you are talking about how he "knows" our offensive linemen, they also know all about him and his bark being much bigger than his bite.

-Mike

fugawzi
04-19-2007, 12:03 AM
yea it's gonna be fun to watch Jason Taylor, Zach Thomas and Joey Porter together. Anyone know how many times Porter has been to the Pro Bowl?

Steel Pit
04-19-2007, 05:02 AM
yea it's gonna be fun to watch Jason Taylor, Zach Thomas and Joey Porter together. Anyone know how many times Porter has been to the Pro Bowl?

If it was more than one then it was too many.

klick81
04-19-2007, 05:56 PM
Bet you were't saying that when he was wearing the black & gold. Let's be real people.

SteelCityMan786
04-19-2007, 06:43 PM
Steelers | Porter makes comments on schedule
Thu, 12 Apr 2007 21:19:17 -0700
Ray Fittipaldo, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, reports the Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.kffl.com/team/30/nfl) game against the Miami Dolphins (http://www.kffl.com/team/22/nfl) will be a homecoming for former Steelers (http://www.kffl.com/team/30/nfl) LB Joey Porter (http://www.kffl.com/player/1520/nfl) (Dolphins), who told ESPN's NFL (http://www.kffl.com/team/77/nfl) Live yesterday afternoon that he is coming to Heinz Field to take care of some "unfinished business." When he was asked about what that unfinished business was, Porter replied: "I didn't get a fair shot to stay or whatever."

That's fine if he thinks there is unfinished business. We'll finish it with a win over his boys.

Avoid LLoyd1975
04-19-2007, 08:17 PM
Joey, Joey, Joey, come on man. We all know your 50 yard line antics and Ben knows your swagger so when you think you are going to come in for a sack, you should know Ben is going to shrug you off like a flea.

GBMelBlount
04-19-2007, 09:25 PM
Joey, Joey, Joey, come on man. We all know your 50 yard line antics and Ben knows your swagger so when you think you are going to come in for a sack, you should know Ben is going to shrug you off like a flea.

GB Joey, let's hope our OL knocks Joey on his....business is business.