PDA

View Full Version : Tough to tell who Steelers are targeting in draft

83-Steelers-43
04-14-2007, 09:16 AM
Tough to tell who Steelers are targeting in draft

By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, April 14, 2007

Two weeks before the NFL draft, it's safe to assume the Steelers won't select Penn State linebacker Paul Posluszny with their first-round pick.

Posluszny would be a popular choice.

He's a Western Pennsylvania high-school football star and Butkus Award winner who has former Steelers linebacker Jack Ham's seal of approval. And the Steelers do need to begin grooming a young outside linebacker who can be effective in a 3-4 or 4-3 alignment.

Trouble is, the Steelers just aren't showing Posluszny much love.

At least not when you consider the team hasn't invited Posluszny for an interview, according to agent Mike McCartney, nor has it given him the personal attention they've bestowed upon fellow linebackers Lawrence Timmons (Florida State) and Jon Beason (Miami). Timmons has interviewed with the team, and Beason's interview is scheduled for next week.

McCartney said Posluszny, who could be drafted as high as No. 12 by Buffalo, has interviews scheduled with San Diego and New Orleans.

"I don't see him going higher than Buffalo," McCartney said. "Buffalo really likes him."

Other teams targeting Posluszny include Jacksonville, Carolina, Denver, Cincinnati and the New York Giants.

McCartney doesn't put too much stock in the value of interviews, though.

"The other day, the St. Louis Rams had (Rutgers fullback) Brian Leonard in, a player I represent," McCartney said. "I don't know this, but let's just say that Brian's their guy. They're not going to tell the rest of the league that Brian's their guy, so they're going to bring in three other running backs, which they did.

"You can't just make it so obvious that the only guys you bring in are the guys you like."

The Steelers have applied that interview strategy to other draft-eligible players on their radar. They've also been known to schedule on-campus visits, which don't have to be reported to the league.

In addition to Timmons and Beason, the Steelers have scheduled interviews with Nebraska defensive end Adam Carriker, Michigan defensive end/linebacker LaMarr Woodley and UCLA defensive end Justin Hickman at their South Side facility.

Carriker is a projected first-round pick who also would fill a need for the Steelers at No. 15. Woodley is a projected second-round pick, and Hickman is a projected second-day draft selection.

Looking to upgrade the backup running back position later in the draft, the Steelers invited Ohio State's Antonio Pittman and Fresno State's Dwayne Wright. Of the two, Wright (6-foot-1, 223 pounds) fits the Steelers' prototype for a big back.

"It makes a lot of sense. I know he got a chance to spend a lot of time with (coach Mike Tomlin) when he was there doing the interview," said Jamal Tooson, who represents Wright. "I definitely think it's a strong possibility."

Penn State's Tony Hunt, a big running back expected to go in the second or third round, hasn't had an interview with the Steelers.

"I don't know where the Steelers are looking to take a running back, if it's a first-day priority," said Alvin Keels, who represents Hunt. "If they're looking to take a back on the second day, the chances of Tony Hunt being there are slim and none."

Based on the number of scheduled interviews and that new offensive coordinator Bruce Arians may want to use more multiple receiver sets on first down, receiver is another draft-day target for the Steelers.

The Steelers will meet with Southern Cal's Steve Smith, South Carolina's Sidney Rice, Washington State's Jason Hill, Illinois State's Laurent Robinson and Dwayne Jarrett, also of Southern Cal. With the exception of Robinson, they're all projected to be selected in the first three rounds.

One of the biggest receivers in the draft, Jarrett (6-4, 214) met with the Steelers on Friday. He also has interviews scheduled with the Cowboys, Giants and Titans.

"With Hines (Ward) being the tough guy and Santonio (Holmes) being the speed guy, Dwayne would be a perfect fit as a big target," agent Darin Morgan said.

It's two weeks before the draft, and anything is possible.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_502684.html

tony hipchest
04-14-2007, 12:22 PM
i think its safe to say we wont be taking a lineman in the 1st 2 picks unless we trade or if l. brown falls. not cause we havent brought any in but we will be forced to reach with either of our 1st 2 picks.

carriker and woodley sound pretty good for the 1st 2 rounds. wr is definitely on the radar and we could easilly find someone in the 2nd or 3rd that probably woulda graded in the 1st or 2nd last year.

DACEB
04-14-2007, 01:23 PM
It all makes sense to me now. It's going to be Poz. Now that's a smoke screen!

tony hipchest
04-14-2007, 01:30 PM
It all makes sense to me now. It's going to be Poz. Now that's a smoke screen!i hope the giants are thinking the same thing. Poz would love to be a giant. cinci would love Poz. so i ask- what is worth more?

Poz or Timmons and the giants 2nd rounder? i want the steelers to work a trade with the giants in the worst way, but they got raked in the eli manning deal so may not be as eager to trade up again, although we did do them the favor last year. :hunch:

polamalufan43
04-14-2007, 02:03 PM
Interesting,

At this point anything is possible.

thanks for the info

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

coachspeak33
04-20-2007, 12:42 PM
I hate the fact that Timmons agent is Rosenhaus...but films of this kid display an electric athlete who could play any scheme.... when guys get hit by him it looks like their getting run over by a freight train

If the choice is simply Poz vs Timmons and an extra 2d rounder.....Mr. Timmons...WHERE DO I SIGN?????

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-20-2007, 04:03 PM
i think its safe to say we wont be taking a lineman in the 1st 2 picks unless we trade or if l. brown falls. not cause we havent brought any in but we will be forced to reach with either of our 1st 2 picks.

carriker and woodley sound pretty good for the 1st 2 rounds. wr is definitely on the radar and we could easilly find someone in the 2nd or 3rd that probably woulda graded in the 1st or 2nd last year.

ESPN has an excellent article on how certain positions should be drafted in higher rounds...and others can been found on the second day....They looked at all the starting players at each position last year and showed which round they were drafted in....

VERY good info....such as...a VERY small percentage of kickers/punters are drafted...they are ussually picked up after the draft...A VERY high percentage of Left Tackels are picked up in the first two rounds...and the majority of Right Tackles are picked up on the second day....OLB's are picked up much earlier than ILB...This week I will reprint the article here for everyone to see....It changed my mind as to what we may do

MasterOfPuppets
04-20-2007, 04:43 PM
ESPN has an excellent article on how certain positions should be drafted in higher rounds...and others can been found on the second day....They looked at all the starting players at each position last year and showed which round they were drafted in....

VERY good info....such as...a VERY small percentage of kickers/punters are drafted...they are ussually picked up after the draft...A VERY high percentage of Left Tackels are picked up in the first two rounds...and the majority of Right Tackles are picked up on the second day....OLB's are picked up much earlier than ILB...This week I will reprint the article here for everyone to see....It changed my mind as to what we may do
post it now!!!! post it now!!! :bash:

tony hipchest
04-20-2007, 05:13 PM

VERY good info....such as...a VERY small percentage of kickers/punters are drafted...they are ussually picked up after the draft...A VERY high percentage of Left Tackels are picked up in the first two rounds...and the majority of Right Tackles are picked up on the second day....OLB's are picked up much earlier than ILB...This week I will reprint the article here for everyone to see....It changed my mind as to what we may do :banging: post it now!!!!! :sofunny:

a good example of this is a buffalo fan calling into kirwans show wondering if the bills take a lb and then a cb in the 1st 2 picks or vice versa (they pretty much have their choice of the top 1 at each position. kirwan said they take willis and pick up a cb in the 2nd. after willis the drop off for a ilb is huge and there wont be one left with a 2nd round grade (anyone picked in the 2nd would be a reach). however if they pass on the cb, this class is fairly deep and there will be several left with a 2nd round grade.

makes sense to me. it would be the same for us if we needed a 1st round LT at #15 or a guard with our 2nd pick. both would be a reach.

SteelCzar76
04-20-2007, 05:28 PM
IMO,... if we don't trade down i can't really see us drafting anyone other than Anderson, Willis, Ginn, Carriker, Houston or perhaps even Hall. (Depending on who's still on the board)
As none of the rest of the "suppossed" blue chippers of this class (outside of the aforementioned and of course the studs like Johnson, Thomas, Landry, Peterson, Russell, Olsen, Adams, Branch and perhaps even Quinn),......are truly deserving of a pick as high as 15 based upon collegiate production as well as 'measurables' IMO.
(And yes that includes cats like Revis,....whom i think Draft guru's throw out there moreso because of their PA roots)

Bottom line,.....i'd rather see us trade down and accuire more picks as oppossed to 'reaching' at 15 at ANY position. (And as i mentioned before,.....i'm stickin with Jamaal Anderson,...but wouldn't be surprised by any of the few others i 'Pimped' here) LOL

tony hipchest
04-20-2007, 05:44 PM
IMO,... if we don't trade down i can't really see us drafting anyone other than Anderson, Willis, Ginn, Carriker, Houston or perhaps even Hall. (Depending on who's still on the board)
As none of the rest of the "suppossed" blue chippers of this class (outside of the aforementioned and of course the studs like Johnson, Thomas, Landry, Peterson, Russell, Olsen, Adams, Branch and perhaps even Quinn),......are truly deserving of a pick as high as 15 based upon collegiate production as well as 'measurables' IMO.
(And yes that includes cats like Revis,....whom i think Draft guru's throw out there moreso because of their PA roots)

Bottom line,.....i'd rather see us trade down and accuire more picks as oppossed to 'reaching' at 15 at ANY position. (And as i mentioned before,.....i'm stickin with Jamaal Anderson,...but wouldn't be surprised by any of the few others i 'Pimped' here) LOLyep. and as we speculate on "poz or timmons" you see scenarios with one (or both) falling to, or beyond the pats for their 1st 2 picks.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-20-2007, 06:03 PM
:banging: post it now!!!!! :sofunny:

a good example of this is a buffalo fan calling into kirwans show wondering if the bills take a lb and then a cb in the 1st 2 picks or vice versa (they pretty much have their choice of the top 1 at each position. kirwan said they take willis and pick up a cb in the 2nd. after willis the drop off for a ilb is huge and there wont be one left with a 2nd round grade (anyone picked in the 2nd would be a reach). however if they pass on the cb, this class is fairly deep and there will be several left with a 2nd round grade.

makes sense to me. it would be the same for us if we needed a 1st round LT at #15 or a guard with our 2nd pick. both would be a reach.

Sorry guys ...dont have the info today...but I will get it to you this week!!!!

SteelCzar76
04-20-2007, 06:04 PM
yep. and as we speculate on "poz or timmons" you see scenarios with one (or both) falling to, or beyond the pats for their 1st 2 picks.

So what say you Tone,...do you think we trade down with the Pats and take one of them ? (Poz or,....uggghhhhh,....Timmons ? )

MasterOfPuppets
04-20-2007, 06:14 PM
Sorry guys ...dont have the info today...but I will get it to you this week!!!!ya big tease!!!:frustrate

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-20-2007, 06:17 PM
So what say you Tone,...do you think we trade down with the Pats and take one of them ? (Poz or,....uggghhhhh,....Timmons ? )

I think Timmons falls into that "one good year" risk category...I am leaning towards Bradley in the third....or Moses if he falls that far....yes....I said Moses again!!!!

MasterOfPuppets
04-20-2007, 06:20 PM
i don't see the pats trading, but if hall is still on the board,i could see the jets or eagles calling.

tony hipchest
04-20-2007, 06:22 PM
So what say you Tone,...do you think we trade down with the Pats and take one of them ? (Poz or,....uggghhhhh,....Timmons ? )no, i think the pats like where theyre sitting. its just that theres no pick at 15 that fills one of our most pressing needs. (id say cb is 3rd on our "need chart" at best.)

the pats would probably deal with the jets before they would us anyways. they wont do us any favors, plus the pats have no immediate needs worthy of trading up for. they can take a lb, s, cb or ryan kalil and be just fine even if they have to reach a little.

MasterOfPuppets
04-20-2007, 06:25 PM
does anyone think if faneca isn't in camp by draft day it kinda forces our hand to take a guard in one?

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-20-2007, 06:32 PM
does anyone think if faneca isn't in camp by draft day it kinda forces our hand to take a guard in one?

...then back to my scenerio of trading Faneca and #15 to Detroit for their first round pick...and their second round picks this year and next year...giving us the #2...#34..and #46 picks....We should be able to get Johnson...and either trade up to get Staley...or pick up a second round CB and OT/OG...(and Bradley in the third...or MOSES if he drops that far!!!)heheheh

MasterOfPuppets
04-20-2007, 06:38 PM
...then back to my scenerio of trading Faneca and #15 to Detroit for their first round pick...and their second round picks this year and next year...giving us the #2...#34..and #46 picks....We should be able to get Johnson...and either trade up to get Staley...or pick up a second round CB and OT/OG...(and Bradley in the third...or MOSES if he drops that far!!!)heheheh
i was thinking more like trading way down or even out of the first,and getting grubs or blaylock. avoid that big signing bonus. but i like your scenerio also. except moses,who has alonzo jackson written all over him

tony hipchest
04-20-2007, 06:38 PM
does anyone think if faneca isn't in camp by draft day it kinda forces our hand to take a guard in one?it depends on where that 1st pick is. regardless of whose in camp its most important to get the best value out of #15.

if tomlin is sure he can turn hall or revis into champ bailey, then by all means, take a cb and plug in a guard in later rounds. regardless where a guard is drafted, if he is plugged in as a rookie he will be expected to perform just the same. (i think guards will be overdrafted cause of the huge inflation in the salary cap) we should be able to get a workable one in later rounds or rely on mehan.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-20-2007, 06:40 PM
i was thinking more like trading way down or even out of the first,and getting grubs or blaylock. avoid that big signing bonus. but i like your scenerio also. except moses,who has alonzo jackson written all over him

:jawdrop: ...you said the "J" word!!!!!!!!....but to be honest...Bradley can play both 4-3 and 3-4...so may be more on our radar.

SteelCzar76
04-20-2007, 06:42 PM
I think Timmons falls into that "one good year" risk category...I am leaning towards Bradley in the third....or Moses if he falls that far....yes....I said Moses again!!!!

LMAO-It appears you know exactly how i feel in regards to Moses LLT. But in all honesty i could live with giving him a shot based upon his potential and the fact that i believe in giving people at least an opportunity to correct their shortcomings (percieved or otherwise)
Though i just wouldn't do it with a 1st or 2nd rnd pick.

But Bradley on the other hand might be the type of player that works so hard to overcome his detractors,..... that he ends up actually being far more productive than many of his peers.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-20-2007, 06:53 PM
LMAO-It appears you know exactly how i feel in regards to Moses LLT. But in all honesty i could live with giving him a shot based upon his potential and the fact that i believe in giving people at least an opportunity to correct their shortcomings (percieved or otherwise)
Though i just wouldn't do it with a 1st or 2nd rnd pick.

But Bradley on the other hand might be the type of player that works so hard to overcome his detractors,..... that he ends up actually being far more productive than many of his peers.

Moses hs got alot of bad press...but his "bad year" states are better than alot of players stats who are rated above him....His coach went on record as saying that whoever doesnt look past the stats will miss out on a great player....and that teams literally had to change their scheme to account for him....Look at Charles Johnsons stats and you can see that he was lucky enough to benefit from the double teams on Moses

....that being sais...IF we are going to switch to the 4-3...Bradley is probably our man.

tony hipchest
04-20-2007, 07:12 PM
...then back to my scenerio of trading Faneca and #15 to Detroit for their first round pick...and their second round picks this year and next year...giving us the #2...#34..and #46 picks....We should be able to get Johnson...and either trade up to get Staley...or pick up a second round CB and OT/OG...(and Bradley in the third...or MOSES if he drops that far!!!)hehehehi love it. while johnson at #2 would be expensive it would make ward dispensable (trade to sf for a 2nd and 4th?) and clearing his $17 mil cap hit in the next 2 years would help make johnson affordable.

theres only been 1 proven way to win multiple sb's in the salary cap era- trade your superstars and stock up on high round draft picks and let high priced stars walk.

dallas traded herschel walker and let a. harper walk.
new england traded d. bledsoe, d. branch, and let l. milloy and t. law walk
(none of these moves were popular with the fans, winning 3 sb's in 4 years was)

otherwise the only way to even go to multiple sb's in the salary cap era is to have a top 5 mvp qb of all time (farve, elway) or an mvp phenom like k. warner and m. faulk. on that scale id say ben is closer to aikman or brady rather than farve or elway. i think a few extra picks and tons of salary cap relief could keep us competitive for years to come.