PDA

View Full Version : Will we be a playoff team this year?

FastWillieParker39
04-15-2007, 08:09 PM
Now before anyone shoots me, hear me out.

I am kind of worried whether or not we can make back to the playoffs. We have new coaches, losing leadership of Peezy, Ben is sometimes injury prone. Ben got hurt late in the 04 season, 05 missed a couple of games, and well last year as we all know.

Also, the AFC is a very hard conference to play in. If we dont win the division, it might be hard for us to get a wild card spot with the Jets, Bengals, Chiefs, and the Jags all competing for a wild card spot.

Hopefully I am completly wrong.

ChronoCross
04-15-2007, 08:25 PM
Well if you look at it, even if Ben goes down for a game are two, we have Batch who is 5-0 in the last two season so we should be ok there. Yes were under a major over haul but yet we have a ton of talent on both sides of the ball. With a nice draft, I see no reason why we should not be back in the playoffs. Parker seems to be a solid RB and has no injury issues, but needs to work on holding onto the ball near the endzone. Tomlin will try and fix the O line, Special Teams, heck we might not do to bad at all this season. And the offense will be spreading out the wr set more on 1st and 2nd down, which will open up more for a pass to switch off to the run which will confuse defenses more. With some good coaching, a good off season, look for us to be back in the contender seat.

GBMelBlount
04-15-2007, 08:40 PM
For all the problems we had last year, 8-8 was amazing. I think if we had Charlie in there a few more games we could've made the playoffs. My main concerns right now,
OL marginal, plus lost hartings. Hope we don't lose Faneca! You don't just plug in an OL draft pick right away! CB - that MAY take care of itself, too much invested right now for major pick. LB, may be OK. some age right now, plus need more depth, hopefully addressed in draft. DL - OK on rush D, may need better pass rush. I guess IF Ben fully recovered plus an additional year experience at OL, CB, WR, RB, we may be OK. Man I hope so. Plus I think Tomlinson smart & will make good decisions in draft (pray) and starters.

steelerbackr4life
04-15-2007, 08:48 PM
I dont have anything really constructive to add I just had to post one more thing so my eyes stopped burning when I saw the number of posts I had. So this is my 667 th post. Sorry carry on

GBMelBlount
04-15-2007, 09:00 PM
I dont have anything really constructive to add I just had to post one more thing so my eyes stopped burning when I saw the number of posts I had. So this is my 667 th post. Sorry carry on

SB4L - Congrats:tt02:

HometownGal
04-15-2007, 09:05 PM
That is a hard question to answer before the draft and camp, so I am going to reserve my thoughts until I see a little of what this team is made of under the new regime. I know we have the firepower but I'm going to take the wait and see approach at this time. Good thread, though! :thumbsup:

The Duke
04-15-2007, 10:01 PM
That is a hard question to answer before the draft and camp, so I am going to reserve my thoughts until I see a little of what this team is made of under the new regime. I know we have the firepower but I'm going to take the wait and see approach at this time. Good thread, though! :thumbsup:

I agree, let's wait till then, right now we are a good team with some big and small holes that need to be adressed, and every team is like that, when the season starts those holes will either be filled or not, and that will determine if we are a playoff team or not.

RoethlisBURGHer
04-15-2007, 10:16 PM
We are a good team in a good conferance,and worse,a good division.The only team in this division that I don't think will be very competitive is the Browns.

If we don't get stomped by the Ratbirds twice,sweep the Bengals,and sweep the Browns...then I think we can win the division or a wild card spot.If that doesn't happen,then we're sitting at home watching someone else play those games.

But to go 8-8 after everything that happened last year,we should kick ass this year.

GBMelBlount
04-15-2007, 10:28 PM
We are a good team in a good conferance,and worse,a good division.The only team in this division that I don't think will be very competitive is the Browns.

If we don't get stomped by the Ratbirds twice,sweep the Bengals,and sweep the Browns...then I think we can win the division or a wild card spot.If that doesn't happen,then we're sitting at home watching someone else play those games.

But to go 8-8 after everything that happened last year,we should kick ass this year.

Why?

RoethlisBURGHer
04-15-2007, 10:35 PM
Why?

Why should we kick ass?

Because there won't be a concussion,apendectomy,and motorcycle crash to hold Ben back.

We'll have a coach that actually gives two shits about what happens on the field instead of thinking about the house he just bought in North Carolina.

We'll have a coach that plays the best player instead of the past-his-prime veteran.

The team will be more focused because the head coach doesn't have a comfort level with anyone on the team.

GBMelBlount
04-15-2007, 10:41 PM
Why should we kick ass?

Because there won't be a concussion,apendectomy,and motorcycle crash to hold Ben back.

We'll have a coach that actually gives two shits about what happens on the field instead of thinking about the house he just bought in North Carolina.

We'll have a coach that plays the best player instead of the past-his-prime veteran.

The team will be more focused because the head coach doesn't have a comfort level with anyone on the team.

.........the coach part, can't disagree.

RoethlisBURGHer
04-15-2007, 10:48 PM
.........the coach part, can't disagree.

Anyone who didn't see it last year is either blind,dumb,or both...that's for sure.

siss
04-15-2007, 11:29 PM
I agree with you. But I like our chances.

MACH1
04-15-2007, 11:35 PM
Don't think I'll count chickens just yet.:chicken: Wouldnt want to jinx em. :uhh:

Borski
04-16-2007, 12:42 AM
Don't think I'll count chickens just yet.:chicken: Wouldnt want to jinx em. :uhh:

Have to agree with you here, I dont like to say stuff like that...like you said, dont wanna jinx em.

Big7BenHOF
04-16-2007, 12:49 AM
I just want Santonio to hold onto the punts.

ChronoCross
04-16-2007, 01:54 AM

Well if Reid is healthy, and stays healthy, I bet he is back there instead of holmes.

Steel Pit
04-16-2007, 04:57 AM
We as fans do not jinx the Pittsburgh Steelers. All of our gameday superstitions and such have absolutely no bearing on the Steelers performance. I played the superstition game until I finally convinced myself that it was STUPID!.

If wearing a certain jersey, or sitting in a special chair actually dictated the fate of the Pittsburgh Steelers, then we've all been "grossly underpaid". Pay up Mr. Rooney, I wore a "can't lose jersey" throughout the 2005 playoff run.

RoethlisBURGHer is right. Last season was the result of the Head Coach half a$$ing it, the Big Ben injuries, and I'll include the crappy play of the offensive line. They played the entire season as if they had a hangover.

TackleMeBen
04-16-2007, 06:23 AM
I think if we stay healthy and watch the turnovers and ints we will be fine. I doubt that they want a repeat performance of the ravens games last year. I think the team dont want to be embarrassed like that again. And we all know that a healthy Ben is very dangerous :wink02:

SteelersMongol
04-16-2007, 10:49 AM

I just want Santonio to hold onto the pants. :sofunny:

We as fans do not jinx the Pittsburgh Steelers ... [and] Last season was the result of the Head Coach half a$$ing it, the Big Ben injuries, and I'll include the crappy play of the offensive line. They played the entire season as if they had a hangover.

AGREE!!! :computer:

ben2hines=6
04-16-2007, 01:27 PM
if santonio gets better like he did as the season progressed last year and nate washington learns to catch the ball on a consistant basis, id say we have a pretty threatening offense for ANYBODY in the league...that is of course ben gets more than 2.3 seconds to throw the ball

steelersfanman92
04-16-2007, 03:05 PM
We definately have the potential to make the playoffs and i think we will

polamalufan43
04-16-2007, 03:10 PM
I think we have a playoff caliber team this year, as long as there are no more silly distractions and dropping of the football.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

FastWillieParker39
04-16-2007, 03:27 PM
IF Ben can get back to his old form, then our offense should be better which would make our team better.

Thinking about it, all we need is our offense to be healthy and we're a playoff team because the last 8 games we won 6 of them.

I'm starting to feel it now.

SteelerFanInCA
04-16-2007, 03:58 PM
The talent is still there. We just have to clean a few things up. This team should still be considered one of the elite of the AFC if not the NFL. :tt02:

Stlrs4Life
04-16-2007, 04:11 PM
I believe we are a playoff caliber team. It's all up to our team to play like a team.

Elvis
04-16-2007, 07:01 PM
I honestly dont see why we will not be a playoff team. We have alot of talent on this team guys/gals. If this team cannot get back to the playoffs this coming year then it is in my opinion because we have had some serious injuries to some important positions like QB or something that I dont even want to think about ... Big Ben is gonna come back with a vengence this upcoming year looking to prove that year before last was Not A Fluke!!! Yes.. we will be a playoff team this year... I Promise... I Dont Guarentee It... But I promise ya we will be there!! you know what? If I had seen T.J. Housyourdaddy's little celebration after the Bengals won the AFC North in Pittsburgh a couple years ago, washing off his cleets with a Terrible Towell, I would have had that much more hate for the Bungals....

fugawzi
04-16-2007, 07:03 PM
we'll probably make it, lots of changes this year...who knows...

Haiku_Dirtt
04-16-2007, 10:44 PM
No.

I would opt for cryopreservation of our core players until 2008.

GBMelBlount
04-16-2007, 10:57 PM
I honestly dont see why we will not be a playoff team. We have alot of talent on this team guys/gals. If this team cannot get back to the playoffs this coming year then it is in my opinion because we have had some serious injuries to some important positions like QB or something that I dont even want to think about ... Big Ben is gonna come back with a vengence this upcoming year looking to prove that year before last was Not A Fluke!!! Yes.. we will be a playoff team this year... I Promise... I Dont Guarentee It... But I promise ya we will be there!! you know what? If I had seen T.J. Housyourdaddy's little celebration after the Bengals won the AFC North in Pittsburgh a couple years ago, washing off his cleets with a Terrible Towell, I would have had that much more hate for the Bungals....

CRAP! 2006, Every day I wake up thinking somethin doifferent. I was thinking OL & LB, then I see this crappy post about WR round 1! What the hell. then I think, well are ther alot of OL & LB/DE's that crush round 1? I heard there are like 6 to 7 REALLY GOOD WR's, 6' 2" 4.4, 4.5 40's. Maybe the best available at 15 may be a WR over OL, DE/LB by a long shot! Maybe we can pick up the OL, Lb's in round 2-5. Who knows. Please tell me I'm not not crazy.

Borski
04-16-2007, 11:02 PM
We as fans do not jinx the Pittsburgh Steelers. All of our gameday superstitions and such have absolutely no bearing on the Steelers performance. I played the superstition game until I finally convinced myself that it was STUPID!.

If wearing a certain jersey, or sitting in a special chair actually dictated the fate of the Pittsburgh Steelers, then we've all been "grossly underpaid". Pay up Mr. Rooney, I wore a "can't lose jersey" throughout the 2005 playoff run.

RoethlisBURGHer is right. Last season was the result of the Head Coach half a$$ing it, the Big Ben injuries, and I'll include the crappy play of the offensive line. They played the entire season as if they had a hangover.

Is that why we had a bad season last year, you didnt wear your cant lose jersey....I knew it couldnt be the Steelers actually playing bad :wink02:

MJ5150
04-17-2007, 12:36 AM
Right now, I say no. After the draft, and a week or so of training camp, perhaps I will change my mind. It's really too early for me to make an unbiased decision.

-Mike

Cape Cod Steel Head
04-17-2007, 08:22 AM
Considering all of Ben's off field issues, and the fact that he was IMO rushed back too soon, and the turnovers, we still almost made the playoffs, I'd say the chances are pretty good that we make the playoffs baring any major injuries. But I think we will have to win our division outright. There are too many good teams that will be vying for the wild-card spots.

stlrtruck
04-17-2007, 08:26 AM
I believe every year the Steelers are playoff bound! I also believe that every year the Steelers will go undefeated and win the Super Bowl (until they prove otherwise).

I know their lofty and unrealistic but I am that type of Steelers Fan!

TackleMeBen
04-17-2007, 08:32 AM
I believe every year the Steelers are playoff bound! I also believe that every year the Steelers will go undefeated and win the Super Bowl (until they prove otherwise).

I know their lofty and unrealistic but I am that type of Steelers Fan!

I thought that last year.. and man was I shocked when it didnt happen..lol..

RoethlisBURGHer
04-17-2007, 09:36 AM
I feel we have a very good core of players right now.If the season started tomorrow,this is how our offense would line up (this is my opinion barring injuries,not how Tomlin will definatly have it situated):

QB: Ben Roethlisberger
FB: Dan Kreider
RB: Willie Parker
WR1: Hines Ward
WR2: Santonio Holmes
TE: Heath Miller
LT: Marvel SMith
OG: Alan Faneca
OC: Sean Mahan
OG: Chris Kemoeatu
RT: Max Starks (Possibly Willie Colon if he outplays Starks in TC)

That's a decent O-Line,one which I think is embarassed after last year and wants to prove it's better than the 2006 version.Our #3 receiver would be Nate Washington,followed by Cedric Wilson,and Willie Reid.

This would be our defense:

RDE: Brett Keisel
NT: Casey Hampton
LDE: Aaron Smith
ROLB: James Harrison
ILB: James Farrior
ILB: Larry Foote
LOLB: Cark Haggans
SS: Troy Polamalu
FS: Anthony Smith
CB1: Ike Taylor
CB2: Bryant McFadden

James Harrison has had some injury issued,but I think a lot of those come with the limited playing time he saw and the special teams play which is brutal.

TackleMeBen
04-17-2007, 09:39 AM
On paper that looks good. Hopefully they can play to their potential and we can stay away from the injury bug

memphissteelergirl
04-17-2007, 10:15 AM
The talent is still there. We just have to clean a few things up. This team should still be considered one of the elite of the AFC if not the NFL. :tt02:

:iagree: :tt02:

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-17-2007, 11:03 AM
I believe a big part of our success this year will depend on one guy...........
IKE TAYLOR........we need him to be a shut down corner this year..........If he has a good year we will have a good year.....
Our offense is going to be fine.......and we will replace porter via the draft

TackleMeBen
04-17-2007, 11:25 AM
IKE TAYLOR........we need him to be a shut down corner this year..........If he has a good year we will have a good year.....

Ike needs to learn how to make plays and not get beat. I hope he comes out and kicks butt and make plays and show everyone that they were wrong and that he is a very good player

RoethlisBURGHer
04-17-2007, 11:31 AM

I think Ike will have a good year.He is a shutdown corner IMHO.He didn't have that bad of a year last year...but his job was made a lot harder with Troy being hurt for a while and Townsend looking his age.

Elvis
04-18-2007, 08:54 PM
I like our team but we needed some fine tuning and I hope that Tomlin gets that done early on. Ben needs to get off to good start and I wouldnt want to start off beating those Brownies first thing..
Our secondary needs help almost everywhere in my opinion.

GBMelBlount
04-18-2007, 09:16 PM

Physical Freak 6' 1', 4.3 40, Long Arms. Played good 2 years ago. Last year, not so good. If he gets his head together again, can crush. Plus we have invested alot in him.

Avoid LLoyd1975
04-19-2007, 07:18 PM
Playoffs, who said anything about playoffs. Takin it to the next level baby!!! We going to the Superbowl!!!

GBMelBlount
04-19-2007, 08:21 PM
Playoffs, who said anything about playoffs. Takin it to the next level baby!!! We going to the Superbowl!!!

this time of year..draft..you focus on weaknesses...but 1975 & stlrtruck said it right. You always expect these guys to do the dolphins thing until proven otherwise!

vader29
04-20-2007, 09:57 PM
I think they will be back in the playoffs. With the early games on the schedule they look like they could get off to a 5-0 or 4-1 start before the bye week which would help a lot, plus 5 primetime games should get the team pumped up also. :tt02:

ircurt11
04-20-2007, 10:06 PM
Well if you look at it, even if Ben goes down for a game are two, we have Batch who is 5-0 in the last two season so we should be ok there. Yes were under a major over haul but yet we have a ton of talent on both sides of the ball. With a nice draft, I see no reason why we should not be back in the playoffs. Parker seems to be a solid RB and has no injury issues, but needs to work on holding onto the ball near the endzone. Tomlin will try and fix the O line, Special Teams, heck we might not do to bad at all this season. And the offense will be spreading out the wr set more on 1st and 2nd down, which will open up more for a pass to switch off to the run which will confuse defenses more. With some good coaching, a good off season, look for us to be back in the contender seat.
This is a great point. Tots of teams are too conservative with their backup Q's: they put them in the game only when the starter gets hurt and only use him as an intermediary who handles the ball for the 1 1/2 seconds before he hands it off to the RB. The Steelers, at least in my lifetime, have never been like this: they have enough faith in their backups they actually let them throw a pass or two.

ircurt11
04-20-2007, 10:28 PM
Why should we kick ass?

i know ur not dissing cowher, cuz he was an absolute genius, and anyone who says otherwise can look at our record over his 15 years, 10 playoff seasons.

ircurt11
04-20-2007, 10:38 PM
if santonio gets better like he did as the season progressed last year and nate washington learns to catch the ball on a consistant basis, id say we have a pretty threatening offense for ANYBODY in the league...that is of course ben gets more than 2.3 seconds to throw the ball

You gotta admit that first play on that overtime game that Santonio caught that pass and ran it all the way in was pretty cool...:tt02:

ircurt11
04-20-2007, 10:41 PM
IF Ben can get back to his old form, then our offense should be better which would make our team better.

Thinking about it, all we need is our offense to be healthy and we're a playoff team because the last 8 games we won 6 of them.

we did get hot near the end of the season, but it wuz too little, too late.

ircurt11
04-20-2007, 10:42 PM

we did get hot near the end of the season, but it wuz too little, too late. DOH!:dang:

ircurt11
04-20-2007, 10:46 PM

Bungals, haha, classic! I grew up with my dad calling them that all the time, but i thought he came up with it, or my grandpa. ya learn something every day.:helmet:

ircurt11
04-20-2007, 10:51 PM
I feel we have a very good core of players right now.If the season started tomorrow,this is how our offense would line up (this is my opinion barring injuries,not how Tomlin will definatly have it situated):

QB: Ben Roethlisberger
FB: Dan Kreider
RB: Willie Parker
WR1: Hines Ward
WR2: Santonio Holmes
TE: Heath Miller
LT: Marvel SMith
OG: Alan Faneca
OC: Sean Mahan
OG: Chris Kemoeatu
RT: Max Starks (Possibly Willie Colon if he outplays Starks in TC)

That's a decent O-Line,one which I think is embarassed after last year and wants to prove it's better than the 2006 version.Our #3 receiver would be Nate Washington,followed by Cedric Wilson,and Willie Reid.

This would be our defense:

RDE: Brett Keisel
NT: Casey Hampton
LDE: Aaron Smith
ROLB: James Harrison
ILB: James Farrior
ILB: Larry Foote
LOLB: Cark Haggans
SS: Troy Polamalu
FS: Anthony Smith
CB1: Ike Taylor
CB2: Bryant McFadden

James Harrison has had some injury issued,but I think a lot of those come with the limited playing time he saw and the special teams play which is brutal.

no way cedric's so far down the depth chart. he could actually start. almost forgot about Anthony Smith, he rocked it in preseason, jackin' up the eagles punt returner. nuthin i luv 2 c more!:helmet: