PDA

View Full Version : ESPN reports a possible steelers draft day trade?

coachspeak33
04-16-2007, 09:36 AM
ESPN.com's rumor central has a report with a headline of....Steelers trading up?

This headlines rests next to a photo of Penn St's Levi Brown

I do not have the insider subscription to this site so I dont know the particulars or legitimacy of the rumors....

Has anyone heard any related information regarding the Steelers trade options on draft day or any other media outlets that mention their interest level in the PSU left tackle?

I cant imagine we would take Brown and keep Starks and Faneca on the roster.... I firmly believe that if we were to draft Brown we would definitely see more changes before the preseason begins.

fansince'76
04-16-2007, 09:46 AM
ESPN.com's rumor central has a report with a headline of....Steelers trading up?

This headlines rests next to a photo of Penn St's Levi Brown

Has anyone heard any related information regarding the Steelers trade options on draft day or any other media outlets that mention their interest level in the PSU left tackle?

Not a word. I've come to expect nothing but sensationalistic BS from ESPN in general, so I'm taking it with a grain of salt.

tony hipchest
04-16-2007, 09:48 AM
brown is the only lineman to come and visit the steelers so far (compared to the 6 wr's theyve invited for a look see)

Crushzilla
04-16-2007, 10:37 AM
Bah.. rumor...

Tomlin will take a Defensive player in the first round as his first big addition as a head coach with a defensive knowledge on a team with a defensive history... If that made any sense at all...

If anything I see Tomlin dropping back a few picks...

ESPN needs to sell these Insider passes and its a slow time of the season...

Would be an interesting transgression, though...

atrus20
04-16-2007, 10:56 AM
I'd have to agree that this is to sell subscriptions. Every team has the possibility of a draft day trade.

Atlanta Dan
04-16-2007, 12:18 PM
One reason to trade up might be if Peter King is correct that the consensus is there are only around 15-20 players this year that are regarded as being of traditional "first round" quality.

I've spent the last few days asking several NFL personnel people and scouts what kind of draft this is, and this is the conclusion I've drawn: This league is scared witless about the money it's about to pay this class of rookies, because there aren't enough first-round-caliber players who deserve it.

One executive I spoke with -- a smart football man whom I trust very much -- said his team gave only 18 players first-round grades in its recently concluded draft meetings. That means, as he said, a bunch of second-round-quality players (at least, in this team's view) will be drafted between the middle and end of the first round, and they will make more money than players with holes deserve to make. "I bet you'll see plenty of teams in the mid- to low-first-round trying to trade down, and I bet they'll have a lot of trouble finding trading partners,'' this personnel guy said.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/04/15/draft/index.html

Since you are stuck paying first round money whether or not you get a pick of true first round quality, the Steelers may be worried the first round quality picks on their board will be gone by the time they select.

paw-n-maul-u
04-16-2007, 01:19 PM
I have insider to ESPN ... it's pretty cool for some articles by Len. P and sometimes has some really good inside stuff.

I don't understand why people try and discount a RUMOR page so much ... keyword RUMOR ... not verified.

and as far as the steelers trading up for levi brown ... the only thing i saw on brown was whether or not the falcons, texans, or dolphins were going after him.

nothing at all about the steelers.

Haiku_Dirtt
04-16-2007, 01:27 PM
Since you are stuck paying first round money whether or not you get a pick of true first round quality, the Steelers may be worried the first round quality picks on their board will be gone by the time they select.

:jawdrop: That is meaningful and not in a good way. Being stuck at the 15 slot sure doesn't play into this scenario. Trading up will be costlier.

So more 2nd and 3rd rounders would be my strategy. Maybe KC is thinking about trading No. 1?

Stay tunred folks. Low-expectation football debuts in 2007. At least I won't need traquilizers to get thru the season this year.

tony hipchest
04-16-2007, 01:50 PM
One reason to trade up might be if Peter King is correct that the consensus is there are only around 15-20 players this year that are regarded as being of traditional "first round" quality.

I've spent the last few days asking several NFL personnel people and scouts what kind of draft this is, and this is the conclusion I've drawn: This league is scared witless about the money it's about to pay this class of rookies, because there aren't enough first-round-caliber players who deserve it.

One executive I spoke with -- a smart football man whom I trust very much -- said his team gave only 18 players first-round grades in its recently concluded draft meetings. .

also mentionned in the article is something ive been hearing alot of in the past week. this years class of linemen is substandard. since there are so few good ones, people are gonna start taking players who grade with 3rd or 4th round talent in the 2nd. the steelers are loaded with these guys. that leaves the steelers with 3 options if they really want a lineman:

-trade up for brown
-reach in the 2nd or 3rd round for someone who can be exactly like kemoeatu, essex, or starks.
-forget about ol until the 4th round.

ChronoCross
04-16-2007, 02:20 PM
I would not listen to any; ya were going to trade up, ya were going to trade down. All of it is a smoke screen put up by teams to make others think your going after this player are maybe that player when they already got there list of who they want 1st if he is there and if they can trade up are be able to trade down and get there first pick they like. We will see on draft day. No reason to guess.

ben2hines=6
04-16-2007, 02:21 PM
if we do trade up does this mean the end of starks or a possible cut of smith next year cause of his huge salary?

steelersfanman92
04-16-2007, 04:02 PM
You can say that about any team it is not like there is not always a possibility for a trade

Livinginthe past
04-16-2007, 04:06 PM
You have to the think that the term 'draft day trade' means that if the right player is on the board at the right position - say Levi Brown at 7 or 8 then the Steelers will use Faneca as trade bait to move up.

Looking at the board the teams that I think are most likely to take Levi (once Joe Thomas goes) ahead of the Steelers are Miami, Houston, and the 49ers, so I reckon they need to get upto no.8 to snag him.

MasterOfPuppets
04-16-2007, 04:12 PM
:huh: who is levi jones???

Livinginthe past
04-16-2007, 04:14 PM
:huh: who is levi jones???

I have no idea what you are talking about - I clearly stated Levi Brown :sofunny:

MasterOfPuppets
04-16-2007, 04:26 PM
I have no idea what you are talking about - I clearly stated Levi Brown :sofunny:
oops...my bad. i guess i read it wrong. :eye:

SteelCityMan786
04-16-2007, 04:28 PM
It's most likely RUMOR.

FastWillieParker39
04-16-2007, 04:32 PM
It's most likely RUMOR.

I agree I live in Central PA and no one has said anything about Levi Brown going to the Steelers. Now if they said something about another PSU player like Pozlusny then I can understand.

Stlrs4Life
04-16-2007, 05:14 PM
How would ESPN know what the Steelers are going to do anyway? It's all a rumor.

tony hipchest
04-16-2007, 05:48 PM
from 4-4-07 (again, he is the only lineman the steelers have brought in to visit) its possible the steelers are just exploring there options if levi falls 8-10th. it helps to go into the draft with all bases covered cause you have to be able to think quick on your feet.

Penn State offensive tackle Levi Brown visited the Steelers' South Side facility today. He's the first projected first-round draft pick to meet with team officials during the final round of interviews for the upcoming NFL Draft.
Brown (6-5, 321 pounds), who's projected to be taken in the top half of the first round, isn't expected to be available when the Steelers select at No. 15. But he's a big-time talent, and the Steelers have a history of moving up in the draft.

Brown was a four-year starter at left tackle, considered the most valuable position on the offensive line. He started all 11 games he played in 2006, missing two (Northwestern and Minnesota) as a result of surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his knee.

tony hipchest
04-16-2007, 06:55 PM
according to the draft value chart, to move from 15 to 10 would probably cost our 3rd and 4th (maybe we could get away with a 5th) but we might need to sweeten the deal as bad as the texans need line help.

fugawzi
04-16-2007, 08:00 PM
its all talk...lots of teams are gonna be trading down or up that day....jus gotta wait and see

Dylan
04-16-2007, 10:39 PM
yea i heard we were trading up, but they said it would be for a defensive end

GBMelBlount
04-16-2007, 10:59 PM

One executive I spoke with -- a smart football man whom I trust very much -- said his team gave only 18 players first-round grades in its recently concluded draft meetings. That means, as he said, a bunch of second-round-quality players (at least, in this team's view) will be drafted between the middle and end of the first round, and they will make more money than players with holes deserve to make. "I bet you'll see plenty of teams in the mid- to low-first-round trying to trade down, and I bet they'll have a lot of trouble finding trading partners,'' this personnel guy said.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/04/15/draft/index.html

I am embarrassed. Have been talking OL & OLB, DE. But Tomlinson will be looking value as much as need. I have read there are a crapload of 6' 2," 4.4, 4.5 WR's. I have posted completely against this. However, it sounds like WR is VERY strong this year! If we have a beast WR at 15 and take care of OL, LB in next few rounds, are we good?

Haiku_Dirtt
04-16-2007, 11:41 PM
according to the draft value chart, to move from 15 to 10 would probably cost our 3rd and 4th (maybe we could get away with a 5th) but we might need to sweeten the deal as bad as the texans need line help.

Now that's pure genius. I authorize the Rooneys full 100% discretion to make ANY deal involving the Texans. We could probably still trade Omar Jacobs for half the oil reserves in the State of Texas.

Even Reggie The Egomaniac is happily - yet reluctantly - chanting "I'm Number Two".

The more expectations are lowered the happier 2008 will be. Unless of course we make a deal with the Texans...:toofunny:

MasterOfPuppets
04-17-2007, 12:29 AM
I am embarrassed. Have been talking OL & OLB, DE. But Tomlinson will be looking value as much as need. I have read there are a crapload of 6' 2," 6.4, 6.5 WR's. I have posted completely against this. However, it sounds like WR is VERY strong this year! If we have a beast WR at 15 and take care of OL, LB in next few rounds, are we good?

it is true that there is way more receiver talent this year compared to last,but in imo,i only see 2 maybe 3 if you wanna reach that are worthy of the 15 spot.
calvin jjohnson- no need to consider
1 robert meachum- may be off the board by 15
2 dwayne bowe- good size,not much speed
3 ted ginn- great speed, would be a great field stretcher out of the slot (4.35....40 ), but could probably trade down and still get him. i think there will still be good options in rd 2
.maybe sidney rice, jason hill ( 4.32...40 ) or even craig davis.

dhosmer
04-19-2007, 10:50 AM
it is true that there is way more receiver talent this year compared to last,but in imo,i only see 2 maybe 3 if you wanna reach that are worthy of the 15 spot.
calvin jjohnson- no need to consider
1 robert meachum- may be off the board by 15
2 dwayne bowe- good size,not much speed
3 ted ginn- great speed, would be a great field stretcher out of the slot (4.35....40 ), but could probably trade down and still get him. i think there will still be good options in rd 2
.maybe sidney rice, jason hill ( 4.32...40 ) or even craig davis.

What about Dwayne Jarrett? I'd rather have him then Ted Ginn Jr. How many more short and speedy receivers to stretch the field and return kicks/punts do we need?

MasterOfPuppets
04-19-2007, 11:46 AM
What about Dwayne Jarrett? I'd rather have him then Ted Ginn Jr. How many more short and speedy receivers to stretch the field and return kicks/punts do we need?
oh i like dwayne jarrett.but certainly not at pick 15.he may even fall into round 2 with his 4.6 40 time. jarrett is more of a keyshawn johnsons possession reciever,which is not a typical clear out the middle slot guy. and who are our speedy receivers? holmes and.....:huh: we haven't seen enough of reid to make a judgement yet.