PDA

View Full Version : Being asked for help

LambertIsGod58
09-01-2005, 08:12 AM
This may come off cold and insensitive, but does is bother anyone that because of this hurricane we are being asked to donate what we can? Don't get me wrong, my heart and sympathy go out to everyone that has been devastated by this tragedy. But, how can people expect a ton of donations when they have to worry about putting gas in their car?
Maybe it's just me, but that's how I see it.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-01-2005, 08:34 AM
Well I can see your point..the costs of gas are about to get this close to me starting to take the bus to work. For 35.00 a month I can get a bus pass to take me almost right to the front door and back at night. Its ridiculous !!!!

If Im able to spare some cash, food, water, etc. to send down there I would imagine we'll probably do it. After watching CNN yesterday all day at work, the flooding, devestation, and death is just astounding. :(

Suitanim
09-01-2005, 08:52 AM
I just emailed my friends about it this morning. I had 3 emails asking for donations, both MSN and Yahoo have donation links, my morning paper had a front page article asking for money, and I heard Harry Connick Jr. is doing a telethon tomorrow night. I truly feel bad about the losses the people in the Gulf suffered, and I will donate, but I will only donate once...

SteelR1
09-01-2005, 09:16 AM
I can agree with you sort of. I mean these people do have insurance right? That will only help in the rebuilding process. What about the days and weeks following the hurricane that they have nothing to eat, no where to sleep and no clean clothes..

I do agree with suit, if you are going to donate, donate what you can within reason once..

Karma does work in strange ways, would you want someone to help you if you were there....?

Suitanim
09-01-2005, 10:28 AM
Actually, I've heard that about half the residents of NO did NOT have flood insurance, so they will be SOL.

Steel - X
09-01-2005, 10:35 AM
Why would you not have flood insurance? I mean you are going to live nest to a major body of water that is known for hurricanes in your area why not pay the $10 a month.

I will do what I can for these people but I am sorry where is my money going to go? To some guy holding an AK 47 shooting up cops? I am sitting here watching people sit on roofs looking for help and right down the street hundreds are stealing TV's from appliance stores. Where the hell are they going to plug it in? and if they do find an outlet not under water there is no power. I can see taking meds, clothes, and food because no one has any but TV's come on. If I am guaranteed my hard earned money is going to a family that needs itt and are not looting or killing cops by all means you can have my donations because what happened to that community is heart wrenching and I feel for all of them that have lost everything.

bigbensgirl7
09-01-2005, 10:40 AM
I am not someone that has a lot of money, but I feel that I should chip in to help them out. I would hope people would do the same for me if a natural disaster was to hit around here. These people are going with out food, formula for their children, homeless, in some case stuck until help comes, and without electricity for months...probably around Christmas time.
I see that the gas prices have sky rocketed and I will just have to cut back on my driving....but I feel that I should send them what I can, even if it's not a lot! These people lost EVERYTHING and it's not going to be that easy to rebuild and get it back!

Prosdo
09-01-2005, 11:16 AM
I just heard the news say that the residents won't be able to come back for a few months. Its a shame more of the people don't have flood insurance. I'm going to try and donate some money or atleast maybe some supplies. I'll keep all those people in my prayers.

steelersgirl86
09-01-2005, 11:40 AM
I agree. I am sure I will be donating what I can. I can not imagine what those people are going through and would not want to go through it myself. But like you all have been saying god forbid something happens here or to me or my family I would hope people would help. As long as I know my money or items are really going to the people I would be more than happy. I am sure we all waste money on stupid things or not so important things and right now they have nothing. And I am sure living where they did that flood insurance is more than $10 a month, or sometimes people assume they have it and then find out they dont. But that is not the issue the issue is that in just a few hours these people were left with nothing and in horrible conditions. I think if everyone pitched in a few dollars or 1 or 2 items it would make a big difference. :hunch:

Suitanim
09-01-2005, 04:11 PM
I think sending supplies and non-perishables might be the best bet at this point. As Steel-X rightly pointed out, sending money blindly right now might be a mistake. I don't want some idiot taking my money into Wal-Mart and buying ammunition to shoot cops or rescue workers with...

BlitzburghRockCity
09-01-2005, 04:30 PM
alot of the residents are in the poor sections of New Orleans where the majority live paycheck to paycheck and can't afford flood insurance and many dont have medical insurance either.

Even the ones w/ flood and medical insurance have no where to go yet so they need help almost as much as anyone.

Its just tragic and now there's word that snipers are shooting at the helicopters flying refugees into Houston!!

WTF is that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RoethlisBURGHer
09-01-2005, 05:06 PM
I will donate some money out of my next paycheck,but not a lot.I just don't have a ton of cash,especially with gas now being $3.00+ in my area.I can't take a bus to work because I start work at 4 in the morning.

And about the looters;the ones stealing jewlery,expensive clothes,electronics,and crap like that can jsut float away for all I care.They aren't stealing necessities (food,water,meds),they are stealing for the sake of stealing.I saw a pic today of people coming out of a store with 5 boxes of Nike shoes (probally the $150+ ones)...12+ AUTHENTIC ($200) football jerseys...fitted caps ($30+).They aren't even taking stuff they had before.And where are they gonna store it?Thier houses are flooded,they don't have closets and stuff!

Suitanim
09-01-2005, 05:55 PM
I just saw that the NFL donated a million bucks to hurricane relief...that's might generous of them, and basically the equivalent of me donating a penny. The NFL is a multi-billion dollar empire, and a mil is all they can kick in?

Steel - X
09-02-2005, 01:52 PM
I just saw that the NFL donated a million bucks to hurricane relief...that's might generous of them, and basically the equivalent of me donating a penny. The NFL is a multi-billion dollar empire, and a mil is all they can kick in?

I also heard the Yankess donated a Million.

SteelR1
09-02-2005, 02:09 PM
Did you see Warrick Dunn of the Atlanta Falcons is challenging every player in the NFL to donate a minumin of $5000. If every player did that it would be 8.2 million just from the players...

As far as the people that are making shit worse, I hope they get jail time for their stupidity!!!!!!!!

God speed for all of Katrina's victims...

BlitzburghRockCity
09-02-2005, 03:44 PM
a million is a sum of money that most big companies will donate.. it makes them look good for giving such a big number in the eyes of us mortals I guess you could say..

But they are also heading up some fund raising campaigns to raise more money. So we'll see what the end total is at some point.

Prosdo
09-02-2005, 04:33 PM
Did you see Warrick Dunn of the Atlanta Falcons is challenging every player in the NFL to donate a minumin of $5000. If every player did that it would be 8.2 million just from the players...

As far as the people that are making shit worse, I hope they get jail time for their stupidity!!!!!!!!

God speed for all of Katrina's victims...

I agree with you Steel. Those people are shooting at people trying to help them. It's pretty ridiculous how these people are stealing things. Most of them don't have cars or a house to store these in. So they are going to carry it around. Don't see the point. They need thrown in jail.

bigbensgirl7
09-02-2005, 08:50 PM
I agree with you Steel. Those people are shooting at people trying to help them. It's pretty ridiculous how these people are stealing things. Most of them don't have cars or a house to store these in. So they are going to carry it around. Don't see the point. They need thrown in jail.
I have heard reports saying that the government is taping every bit of coverage going on about this tradgedy and as soon as they get the situation under control down there the government will be looking at every one of these tapes and finding these people that are causing the violence. If they are caught it will be a minimum af 15 yrs. prison time. Absolutely no exceptions.
The thing that really upsets me it that that is only a few hundred people doing this, and there are thousands more just trying to survive. I watch these reports and see infants with no formula, 2-3 yr. old children who have been walking forever with their family with absolutely no place to go. All the people still stranded and not able to get any of the relief supplies that are coming in. These people are finghting every minute to survive and it's sad to think that something like this can happen in our country. This is something that is only going to get worse before it gets any better, and I hope everyone gives something even if it's just a little...because every bit they get will help. There is no contribution too small.

Suitanim
09-02-2005, 10:11 PM
I have heard reports saying that the government is taping every bit of coverage going on about this tradgedy and as soon as they get the situation under control down there the government will be looking at every one of these tapes and finding these people that are causing the violence. If they are caught it will be a minimum af 15 yrs. prison time. Absolutely no exceptions.
The thing that really upsets me it that that is only a few hundred people doing this, and there are thousands more just trying to survive. I watch these reports and see infants with no formula, 2-3 yr. old children who have been walking forever with their family with absolutely no place to go. All the people still stranded and not able to get any of the relief supplies that are coming in. These people are finghting every minute to survive and it's sad to think that something like this can happen in our country. This is something that is only going to get worse before it gets any better, and I hope everyone gives something even if it's just a little...because every bit they get will help. There is no contribution too small.

I think there is some politicking going on here by the news media. One station was showing some footage today that was shot yesterday, and they were going on and on about how the Federal government and George Bush were doing nothing about the problem. I flipped over and saw some footage from TODAY that showed the same people being fed and helped.

It's the worst disaster to ever hit US soil...can't the media stick to reporting without an agenda? It's especially stupid to play this game when Bush is THERE himself today...If people can be helped, they will be. If they can't, there's probably a good reason why they can't...

clevestinks
09-03-2005, 07:34 AM
This is without a doubt, the worst thing I`ve ever seen. 9/11 was probably worse at the time, and still ranks right up there. But there is probably a larger loss of life and more homeless. I don`t want anyone to take this the wrong way, but these people were warned , and told evacuate. I understand that not everyone was able, for one reason or another. But I saw plenty of physically able people running the streets afterwards, these people should have been gone. Alot of people didn`t think it would be that bad, or just wanted to ride out the storm. Its hard to feel bad for these individuals, although I do still. And the ones with kids who stayed?????? If you feel you want to stay and put your own life in jeopardy, then so be it. But when you put your kids lives in jeopardy, to me this is child endangering, and arrests should be made afterwards. I have a daughter and her and my wifes safety come before anything, if I had to carry them out prior to the storm, then so be it.
One other thing, it is a crying shame that race is not part of this tragedy. This is the USA, lets get over it already, and start saving lives.
I am not a Celoine Dione fan, actually totally the opposite. But she donated $1,000,000 out of her own pocket. Yet the NBA players all together were bragging about donating the same amount altogether. Come on guys if anyone can afford it, it would be you overpaid athletes. Even Serena Williams is given her total winnings to the relief efforts. Props to the girls.

I do have mixed feelings on the whole thing. But God Bless all. And lets get these people what they need and back on thier feet. We are all Americans.

Stlrs4Life
09-04-2005, 10:43 PM
a million is a sum of money that most big companies will donate.. it makes them look good for giving such a big number in the eyes of us mortals I guess you could say..

But they are also heading up some fund raising campaigns to raise more money. So we'll see what the end total is at some point.

Plus, it's a big Tax right of for them.

I'm donating with no problem. Yes, there is the dumb idiots out there looting the stupid shit, TVs and unnecessary items, but the bottom line is the majority of the people that are out, are the poorer ones.

clevestinks
09-05-2005, 07:43 AM
God Bless everyone effected by the Hurricane.

ironcitychef
09-08-2005, 01:35 AM
Being from Florida and doing 3 hurricanes last year, I wish the Gulf Coast the best. We here as a compnay have donated a large sum, and our employees are giving a large deal as well cause they understand. As for looting and such, when police drop their badges and start looting as well, it kinda gives the open season call to everyone else. Serve and protect? As for the government response, I feel a little favoritism having the Pres. brother down here, but for the local gov't one question? If we(in Florida) knew that 140mph(later act. 170) hurricane conditions were going to hit you, why are there still enough people to fill the SuperDome and Convention Center? Why are businesses not boarded up? Seems the local area didn't take this quite serious enough. Today we already started traking Ophelia and that hasn't really even formed into something yet.