PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Sign Defensive End (Eason)

83-Steelers-43
04-17-2007, 10:43 AM
Steelers sign defensive end
Tuesday, April 17, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers have signed defensive end Nick Eason, an unrestricted free agent from the Cleveland Browns, to a one-year contract, the team announced today.

Eason was a backup the past two seasons with the Browns and played in 28 games. He had a career-high 23 tackles last season.

The Denver Broncos drafted Eason, 6-3, 305, on the fourth round in 2003 from Clemson. He spent that season on injured reserve and was waived by the Broncos in 2004. He spent part of 2005 on the practice squads of Denver and Cleveland before the Browns signed him to their roster for the final five games of the season.

Eason will compete to replace veteran backup defensive end Rodney Bailey, who signed last week as a free agent with the Arizona Cardinals.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07107/778686-100.stm

stillers4me
04-17-2007, 12:01 PM
I don't know anything about what he may do for our defense, but he looks like an awfully nice guy!! (Way too nice to be a Bengal or a Brown........:wink02: ) (but then he may just be smiling because he doesn't have to wear that crappy brown uniform anymore...:sofunny: )

http://news.steelers.com/article/75276/

Stainless Steel
04-17-2007, 12:14 PM
Looks like Wayne Brady on steroids. lol

http://l.yimg.com/img.tv.yahoo.com/tv/us/img/site/94/29/0000029429_20060922135142.jpg?x=312&y=400&sig=0rX0faQkChq_YKtUAYMldQ--

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-17-2007, 12:56 PM
So can we look deeper into this than what is first apparant?....We sign a 6'3 305 lbs DE.....Can we now assume that adding depth to our current DE's (who are built for a 3-4 defense)...and not looking for the speed rushing DE is an indication that we WILL stick with the 3-4 for this draft?
Eason is listed as a DT on NFL.com....but all reports say that he will be a DE for us....

This may make it a "little" easier for us to predict who may and may not draft in regards to what kinds of OLB...ILB... and DE we may be looking at on the 28th

stillers4me
04-17-2007, 01:11 PM
So can we look deeper into this than what is first apparant?....We sign a 6'3 305 lbs DE.....Can we now assume that adding depth to our current DE's (who are built for a 3-4 defense)...and not looking for the speed rushing DE is an indication that we WILL stick with the 3-4 for this draft?
Eason is listed as a DT on NFL.com....but all reports say that he will be a DE for us....

This may make it a "little" easier for us to predict who may and may not draft in regards to what kinds of OLB...ILB... and DE we may be looking at on the 28th

Thanks LLT! I knew I could count on someone to make this as clear as mud for me!! :thumbsup:

IamTheSteelGod
04-17-2007, 01:41 PM

Yeah I agree at that weight he is not exactly going to be agile. I like the 3-4 we suite it.

Livinginthe past
04-17-2007, 01:55 PM
I can't imagine that a guy who couldn't even get a game with the Browns would hold that many clues as to potential draft strategy.

Just Another Guy - Training Camp Fodder.

This guy gets cut way before the regular season opener the way I see it.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-17-2007, 02:05 PM
Thanks LLT! I knew I could count on someone to make this as clear as mud for me!! :thumbsup:

LOL...let me try again. (Youre right...the way I wrote it is confusing)

There has been some speculation as to whether Tomlin would switch us to from a 3-4 defense to a 4-3 defense.

With a 3-4 defense...you have bigger DE's than if your running a 4-3. Since we just picked up a prototypical 3-4 end..it would leave one to believe that "for now" we will stay with the 3-4.

IF we are staying with a 3-4...we will be looking at OLB's like Nebraskas Stewart Bradley (who are better pass rushers but athletic enough to cover) instead of an OLB like Paul Posluszny who is a sideline to sideline LB but not as fluent at pass rushing.

3-4 ILB's... have a higher premium on size (like David Harris from Michigan)...and will play tackle to tackle...useing those big lineman to take on blockers..then they will fill the running gap when the play develops.

So......We can speculate and possibly eliminate defensive players that dont fit the 3-4 defensive scheme...come draft day

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-17-2007, 02:06 PM
I can't imagine that a guy who couldn't even get a game with the Browns would hold that many clues as to potential draft strategy.

UNLESS you take into consideration that you wouldnt sign someone that doesnt fit your defensive scheme.

tony hipchest
04-17-2007, 02:12 PM
So......We can speculate and possibly eliminate defensive players that dont fit the 3-4 defensive scheme...come draft dayits gonna take 3 to 4 drafts to eventually convert to a 4-3. might as well get a start on it now, cause it usually takes our lower rounded defenders several years to learn the 3-4 zone blitz anyways.

if we are gonna show a bit of a 4-3 this season, we need atleast 2-3 players w/ flexibility to play in either scheme (keisel could be 1.)

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-17-2007, 02:23 PM
its gonna take 3 to 4 drafts to eventually convert to a 4-3. might as well get a start on it now, cause it usually takes our lower rounded defenders several years to learn the 3-4 zone blitz anyways.

if we are gonna show a bit of a 4-3 this season, we need atleast 2-3 players w/ flexibility to play in either scheme (keisel could be 1.)

Very good point...and that DOES raise the question as if Hampton and Hoke can play 1 gap DT's...and this Eason guy is that versatile also???!!!

ChronoCross
04-17-2007, 02:42 PM

Agree. He is just brought in for competition. I doubt he wins a backup spot.

Livinginthe past
04-17-2007, 03:26 PM
UNLESS you take into consideration that you wouldnt sign someone that doesnt fit your defensive scheme.

My thoughts are that, at the very minimum, elements of the 3-4 will remain in the Pittsburgh D next year.

If I was to place money I would have it firmly on there being a slight increase in the 4-3 (dependent on how the draft shakes out) but not a great deal.

I just think that guys like this don't really offer any real clue as to how the 53 will be comprised next year as he wont be any where near it.

The Duke
04-17-2007, 07:10 PM
Good to replace Rodney Bailey, but the draft will replace him.

GBMelBlount
04-17-2007, 08:30 PM
If keisel loses some weight, he could be a very good OLB....He is a great athlete!

faneca05
04-17-2007, 09:09 PM
I don't think signing him will have any impact on our draft. He probably won't even be there at the beginning of the the season.

abgroove
04-18-2007, 06:18 AM
Looks like Wayne Brady on steroids. lol

http://l.yimg.com/img.tv.yahoo.com/tv/us/img/site/94/29/0000029429_20060922135142.jpg?x=312&y=400&sig=0rX0faQkChq_YKtUAYMldQ--

Not really. We don't all look alike or know each other...

(It was a joke)

(Don't get your panties in a bunch)

abgroove
04-18-2007, 06:19 AM
If a guy isn't good enough to start for the 5-win brownstains, how in the world is he going to get any PT on a contender???

83-Steelers-43
04-18-2007, 08:51 AM
I can't imagine that a guy who couldn't even get a game with the Browns

That's where I stand. If he can't crack the Browns starting lineup I don't see him sticking around here for very long.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-18-2007, 09:35 AM
That's where I stand. If he can't crack the Browns starting lineup I don't see him sticking around here for very long.

Does anyone REALLY think that the Browns know how to utilize talent??!!!! I will give him a chance based on the Browns ineptness!!!

83-Steelers-43
04-18-2007, 09:40 AM
Does anyone REALLY think that the Browns know how to utilize talent??!!!! I will give him a chance based on the Browns ineptness!!!

I'll definately give him a chance, he's a Steeler. Also, very good point on the Browns. I still have my doubts, but if he does make the team and have any type of impact I'll eat my crow.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
04-18-2007, 10:34 AM
He's simply signed for depth...low cost - low risk. He had better statistics than Rodney Bailey - who knows, every now and then you strike gold with a player like this. But our expectations of Eason should be a guy who will provide another body on the D-Line and will probably (because of potential injuries) have to make an impact at some point during the season. If not (and he gets cut) no big loss (but I don't see that happening).

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-18-2007, 10:53 AM
He's simply signed for depth...low cost - low risk. He had better statistics than Rodney Bailey - who knows, every now and then you strike gold with a player like this. But our expectations of Eason should be a guy who will provide another body on the D-Line and will probably (because of potential injuries) have to make an impact at some point during the season. If not (and he gets cut) no big loss (but I don't see that happening).

I see him as no more than a wave-player....give Kiesel a breather...and get off the field

j-dawg
04-21-2007, 10:55 PM
ahhh.. of course eason signed with the steelers!! he had a chance to sack big ben last season but backed off and ben threw a pass for a twenty yard gain... now his motives are revealed!!!