PDA

View Full Version : Urlacher fined $100,000 for Super Bowl hat

Atlanta Dan
04-18-2007, 03:34 PM
It may have taken the NFL years to get around to taking serious action against the Pacman Jones/Chris Henry thugocracy, but when it comes to protecting its licensing deals the NFL moves a lot more quickly:

Chicago Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher was fined $100,000 by the NFL for wearing a cap during Super Bowl media day that promoted a sponsor not authorized by the league.

NFL rules prohibit gear that advertises any product but a designated sponsor, league spokesman Brian McCarthy said Wednesday.

Urlacher was fined for drinking vitaminwater and wearing a vitaminwater hat during the media session in Miami leading to the title game. Gatorade is the NFL's official drink.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2841997

Wonder if he would be fined for drinking the non-Gatorade beverage if he had not worn the hat?

Glad to see the NFL has its priorities straight - nothing, absolutely nothing, is more important to the NFL than the Benjamins. Hopefully Urlacher got more than $100K from the vitaminwater company.

katk9
04-18-2007, 03:44 PM
If he didn't, he will.

fansince'76
04-18-2007, 03:48 PM
Glad to see the NFL has its priorities straight - nothing, absolutely nothing, is more important to the NFL than the Benjamins. Hopefully Urlacher got more than $100K from the vitaminwater company.

It's not just the NFL, either - remember the huge Nike/Reebok flap during the '92 Summer Olympics with the original "Dream Team?" Pretty much the same kinda deal.

ChronoCross
04-18-2007, 06:04 PM
When I first seen it on the redzone, I was thinking maybe he was walking around with a fake hat saying that Chicago Bears were the SB Champs.. But then clicked on the link.. That sure was a expensive hat and bottle of water..lol..

verks36
04-18-2007, 06:23 PM
The cool thing the vitamin water had his number on it.

Godell is a bad comish plain and simple

PAMillerGrrl83
04-18-2007, 09:33 PM
Blah Urlacher never struck me as a very intelligent individual to begin with..he deserved it.

Preacher
04-18-2007, 11:41 PM
The cool thing the vitamin water had his number on it.

Godell is a bad comish plain and simple

Not sure I would agree with that this soon. Regardless of who the comish is... he would have been fined. Don't forget, those contracts were all probably signed under the previous comish... and those rules are a part of it.

floodcitygirl
04-18-2007, 11:59 PM
I'm guessing that the water company probably will pay his fine and if not, I'm thinking he can afford it.

fansince'76
04-19-2007, 12:32 AM
I'm guessing that the water company probably will pay his fine and if not, I'm thinking he can afford it.

Not really the point, I don't think. I think Dan longs for the days when a guy like, for example, John Riggins could be interviewed in the locker room after winning the MVP of SB XVII wearing a "Ducks Unlimited" cap and NOT get fined for it. Frankly, so do I.

Borski
04-19-2007, 12:32 AM
I dont disagree with the NFL, their trying to keep their sponsors, if Vitamin Water wants advertising, then buy an add, dont pay a player to drink your product and wear your hat.

Preacher
04-19-2007, 12:44 AM
Not really the point, I don't think. I think Dan longs for the days when a guy like, for example, John Riggins could be interviewed in the locker room after winning the MVP of SB XVII wearing a "Ducks Unlimited" cap and NOT get fined for it. Frankly, so do I.

I don't think a duck unlimited hat would be the problem. I think a pepsi cola hat would be, since that is how the NFL makes more of their money.

fansince'76
04-19-2007, 12:52 AM
I don't think a duck unlimited hat would be the problem. I think a pepsi cola hat would be, since that is how the NFL makes more of their money.

C'mon Preacher - if that scene went down today, they'd probably fine Riggins for it. By the way, do you think the Redskins' "Fun Bunch" endzone celebrations from the same period would fly today? Not. Yet, Pacman Jones and Chris Henry are still not outta the league permanently? Priorities, Preacher, priorities - the NFL's are currently way outta whack, let's face it.

Preacher
04-19-2007, 12:58 AM
C'mon Preacher - if that scene went down today, they'd probably fine Riggins for it. By the way, do you think the Redskins' "Fun Bunch" endzone celebrations from the same period would fly today? Not. Yet, Pacman Jones and Chris Henry are still not outta the league permanently? Priorities, Precher, priorities - the NFL's is currently way outta whack, let's face it.

I really don't think that is the problem. The problem is the fact that only drinks that are allowed to be seen in relation to the NFL is gatorade. it is a multiBILLION dollar business of advertising. As far as the endzone celebrations... well... that is probably not a good argument with me... cause I feel like they get paid for doing that.. whenever i finish part of my job... I don't get up and celebrate... I move to the next thing. Yeah, I know there is emotion involved. But spike the football and move on.

But i agree with you on one point... The league is WAY too permissive when it comes to the players personal life.

fansince'76
04-19-2007, 01:03 AM
I really don't think that is the problem. The problem is the fact that only drinks that are allowed to be seen in relation to the NFL is gatorade. it is a multiBILLION dollar business of advertising. As far as the endzone celebrations... well... that is probably not a good argument with me... cause I feel like they get paid for doing that.. whenever i finish part of my job... I don't get up and celebrate... I move to the next thing. Yeah, I know there is emotion involved. But spike the football and move on.

But i agree with you on one point... The league is WAY too permissive when it comes to the players personal life.

Yeah, maybe so as far as the Gatorade thing goes. However, I don't remember these sorts of incidents ever cropping up, say, before 1990 or so. I also think there is a huge difference between the old "Fun Bunch" celebrations and idiots like T.O. and Chad Johnson using silly-ass props in their TD celebrations.

X-Terminator
04-19-2007, 01:06 AM
If the league knew this was a violation of league rules, then why did it take them nearly 3 months to fine Urlacher? That doesn't make sense, to say nothing of the rule itself, which I feel is pretty stupid anyway. The league is developing a big image problem with all of the criminals and drug abusers within its ranks, and they're worried about a player wearing a "non-NFL sponsored" hat and drinking a "non-NFL sponsored" energy drink?" Give me a break!

Preacher
04-19-2007, 01:16 AM
Yeah, maybe so as far as the Gatorade thing goes. However, I don't remember these sorts of incidents ever cropping up, say, before 1990 or so.

Your right. Money will do that to anything. And yeah, there is WAY Too much money involved in football.

I also think there is a huge difference between the old "Fun Bunch" celebrations and idiots like T.O. and Chad Johnson using silly-ass props in their TD celebrations.

Absolutely. I just don't like any celebration outside of spiking the ball and walking away. As I posted before, I actually would rather see the rules changed....

It is not a touchdown until the ball is actually TOUCHED DOWN IN THE ENDZONE. Not thrown down so that it bounces... PUT DOWN. that way... a runner can run into the endzone... and if he gets pushed out... He is still out... and the D gets the ball on the 20.

THEN... wherever the ball is put down... say 20 feet to the right of the goal posts... the kicker then has to kick the ball from 20 feet to the right of the goal posts.... anywhere he wants up or down the field... 2 yard line or 30 yard line.

Yes.. I was a Rugby player, and would LOVE to see football go back to that!!!

Infamix
04-19-2007, 07:25 AM
oh the world of advertising...

Cape Cod Steel Head
04-19-2007, 08:34 AM
Not really the point, I don't think. I think Dan longs for the days when a guy like, for example, John Riggins could be interviewed in the locker room after winning the MVP of SB XVII wearing a "Ducks Unlimited" cap and NOT get fined for it. Frankly, so do I.And who could forget Bear's QB. Jim McMahon and his headbands.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-19-2007, 08:58 AM
If the league knew this was a violation of league rules, then why did it take them nearly 3 months to fine Urlacher? That doesn't make sense, to say nothing of the rule itself, which I feel is pretty stupid anyway. The league is developing a big image problem with all of the criminals and drug abusers within its ranks, and they're worried about a player wearing a "non-NFL sponsored" hat and drinking a "non-NFL sponsored" energy drink?" Give me a break!

I think Urlacher became the third most important thing on the agenda....1) Pacman Jones....2) Chris Henry...

memphissteelergirl
04-19-2007, 09:10 AM
Well here's my :twocents:

Why is the league just now getting around to the issue if it happened during the SB?? The timing is way off. Also,$100K sounds rather excessive for something like this.

And furthermore, I think it's premature to call Goddell a bad commissioner because of this...just in this particular case the decision was questionable.

Haiku_Dirtt
04-19-2007, 12:44 PM
It may have taken the NFL years to get around to taking serious action against the Pacman Jones/Chris Henry thugocracy, but when it comes to protecting its licensing deals the NFL moves a lot more quickly:

Chicago Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher was fined $100,000 by the NFL for wearing a cap during Super Bowl media day that promoted a sponsor not authorized by the league.

NFL rules prohibit gear that advertises any product but a designated sponsor, league spokesman Brian McCarthy said Wednesday.

Urlacher was fined for drinking vitaminwater and wearing a vitaminwater hat during the media session in Miami leading to the title game. Gatorade is the NFL's official drink.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2841997

Wonder if he would be fined for drinking the non-Gatorade beverage if he had not worn the hat?

The pitfalls of legislating human behavior are precarious at best and illegal at worst. The guerilla tactics employed by terrorists groups such as the Rainbow Coalition make easy decisions like suspending thugs anything but.

Business contracts are color- and race-blind. If I'm one of the companies that ponied up serious serious cash for exclusive NFL rights then I'm fuming mad when the foot soldiers disobey an order directly from the general. The NFL is not a democracy.

If vitaminwater wants to advertise with the NFL Brand it should be done through legal channels. Since the NFL has no recourse with vitaminwater they can only come down hard on the foot soldier.

If they didn't NFL players would look like NASCARs.