PDA

View Full Version : The Burgh will never be the same!

siss
04-18-2007, 10:56 PM
Well I finally got my tickets to Pittsburgh this spring.
But anyway I have never been there and I was wondering if anyone could recomend a resturant that someone who had never been to the Burgh HAD to go to while they were there.
By the way...I'm going to Primitani Bro's already.

fansince'76
04-18-2007, 11:08 PM
I haven't lived in the 'Burgh since I was a young kid, but I always liked Eat'n'Park - I still can't understand why that local chain has never gone national.

stlrtruck
04-19-2007, 07:49 AM
Alberto's Pizza (don't have the address). It's just a dive pizza joint but they've got great food. Plus it's the place where the owner started "Franco's Italian Army."

When I stopped in on my last visit, the owner and Franco were sitting down together out in grand view of everyone. It was awesome.

83-Steelers-43
04-19-2007, 08:16 AM
Alberto's Pizza (don't have the address). It's just a dive pizza joint but they've got great food. Plus it's the place where the owner started "Franco's Italian Army."

I think your getting Alberto's confused with Vento's. Vento's is on 420 N Highland Ave. That is where Tony Stagno and Al Vento started up Franco's Italian Army. It is also the place where Franco drops in from time to time.

On Vento's and two other joints, post #5: http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=12979&highlight=Vento%27s

Cape Cod Steel Head
04-19-2007, 08:37 AM
I haven't lived in the 'Burgh since I was a young kid, but I always liked Eat'n'Park - I still can't understand why that local chain has never gone national.Loved their steak salads!

Cape Cod Steel Head
04-19-2007, 08:59 AM
Not sure if its still there, but for fine dining you could try Lamont's up on Mt. Washington. Great views of the city, and the food is/was good.

83-Steelers-43
04-19-2007, 09:24 AM
Not sure if its still there, but for fine dining you could try Lamont's up on Mt. Washington. Great views of the city, and the food is/was good.

Still there.

stlrtruck
04-19-2007, 09:42 AM
I think your getting Alberto's confused with Vento's. Vento's is on 420 N Highland Ave. That is where Tony Stagno and Al Vento started up Franco's Italian Army. It is also the place where Franco drops in from time to time.

On Vento's and two other joints, post #5: http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=12979&highlight=Vento%27s

You're right, I meant VENTO'S not Alberto's. I don't know what I was thinking. Oh gosh, the off season is really starting to affect my ability to think...oh wait, that's work.

Mosca
04-19-2007, 09:54 AM
Eat 'n Park is/was national. It franchised under a lot of different names, but the trademark "Big Boy" is known nationwide.

Tom

83-Steelers-43
04-19-2007, 10:03 AM
Mmmmmmm......a Big Boy with fries and gravy.

Cape Cod Steel Head
04-19-2007, 10:04 AM
Then theres The Oyster House in Market Square. I'd recommend a fish samwich. Not as good as what I get up here, but its the best you'll find in Picksburgh.

83-Steelers-43
04-19-2007, 10:06 AM
Then theres The Oyster House in Market Square. I'd recommend a fish samwich. Not as good as what I get up here, but its the best you'll find in Picksburgh.

Benkovitz Seafoods on Smallman Street (Strip District) dishes a good fish sandwich. If your ever in Pittsburgh give it a try.

More info for those interested: http://www.wpxi.com/restaurants/1887113/detail.html

fansince'76
04-19-2007, 10:19 AM
Eat 'n Park is/was national. It franchised under a lot of different names, but the trademark "Big Boy" is known nationwide.

Tom

Thanks for the info - unfortunately, we still don't have any Big Boys here in Colorado, either.

Mosca
04-19-2007, 10:55 AM
http://www.bigboy.com/locations.asp

and

eat 'n park locations (http://direct.where2getit.com/cwc/apps/w2gi.php?template=search1&client=eatnpark&map=default_shadow_usa)

I'm not sure of the connection between the two; maybe Eat 'n Park paid for the use of the logo, trademark, and recipes?

I used to work at the Eat 'n Park in Whitehall, on Rt51, back in 1972.

Tom

83-Steelers-43
04-19-2007, 11:13 AM
I never knew "Big Boy" restaurants and "Eat N' Park" were owned by the same company. There was a "Big Boy" near the Galleria in Mt. Lebanon. Closed down about ten years ago?

tony hipchest
04-19-2007, 11:16 AM
heres some places i like to go when i visit for a quick lunch (not quite restraunts but good to drop in when youre on the go, doing the tourist stuff.)

about 5 miles before the tunnel is bedo's (sp?) pizza. if you like something new or different, the pizza is cooked but all the toppings put on cold.

if you go to the museum or pitt campus, gotta go to The "O" for for a hot dog. (pittsburghs version of nathans).

i would recommend "frankies" down in lawrenceville on butler street for a polish sausage (excellent) but its a dive, and you smell it a half a block away. not a great smell either. people who grow up around there know you been to frankies because they can smell it on you.

and the best cod sandwich ive had was at wholeys on the strip. buy the fish by the pound and they throw it on a roll for you. they also sell other ready to eat seafood like sushi.

on the north side is "gus and yaiyas", the oldest sno cone stand in the burgh. i always got treated for an iceball as a kid and its a tradition i enjoy to this day.

of course everyone should try primantis once.

Cape Cod Steel Head
04-19-2007, 12:18 PM
heres some places i like to go when i visit for a quick lunch (not quite restraunts but good to drop in when youre on the go, doing the tourist stuff.)

about 5 miles before the tunnel is bedo's (sp?) pizza. if you like something new or different, the pizza is cooked but all the toppings put on cold.

if you go to the museum or pitt campus, gotta go to The "O" for for a hot dog. (pittsburghs version of nathans).

i would recommend "frankies" down in lawrenceville on butler street for a polish sausage (excellent) but its a dive, and you smell it a half a block away. not a great smell either. people who grow up around there know you been to frankies because they can smell it on you.

and the best cod sandwich ive had was at wholeys on the strip. buy the fish by the pound and they throw it on a roll for you. they also sell other ready to eat seafood like sushi.

on the north side is "gus and yaiyas", the oldest sno cone stand in the burgh. i always got treated for an iceball as a kid and its a tradition i enjoy to this day.

of course everyone should try primantis once.Unfortunately I think the O closed down. I and everybody else use to stop in there at 2:00 am. after all the bars closed.