PDA

View Full Version : The Story of Two Houses

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-19-2007, 09:17 AM
LOOK OVER THE DESCRIPTIONS OF THE FOLLOWING TWO HOUSES AND SEE IF YOU CAN TELL WHICH BELONGS TO AN ENVIRONMENTALIST. (Verified on SNOPES.COM)

HOUSE # 1:

A 20-room mansion (not including 8 bathrooms) heated by natural gas. Add on a pool (and a pool house) and a separate guest house all heated by gas. In ONE MONTH ALONE this mansion consumes more energy than the average American household in an ENTIRE YEAR. The average bill for electricity and natural gas runs over $2,400.00 per month. In natural gas alone (which last time we checked was a fossil fuel), this property consumes more than 20 times the national average for an American home. This house is not in a northern or Midwestern "snow belt," either. It's in the South.

HOUSE # 2:

Designed by an architecture professor at a leading national university, this house incorporates every "green" feature current home construction can provide. The house contains only 4,000 square feet (4 bedrooms) and is nestled on arid high prairie in the American southwest. A central closet in the house holds geothermal heat pumps drawing ground water through pipes sunk 300 feet into the ground. The water (usually 67 degrees F.) heats the house in winter and cools it in summer. The system uses no fossil fuels such as oil or natural gas, and it consumes 25% of the electricity required for a conventional heating/cooling system. Rainwater from the roof is collected and funneled into a 25,000 gallon underground cistern. Wastewater from showers, sinks and toilets goes into underground purifying tanks and then into the cistern. The collected water then irrigates the land surrounding the house. Flowers and shrubs native to the area blend the property into the surrounding rural landscape.

HOUSE # 1 (20 room energy guzzling mansion) is outside of Nashville, Tennessee. It is the abode of that renowned environmentalist (and filmmaker) Al Gore.

HOUSE # 2 (model eco-friendly house) is on a ranch near Crawford, Texas. Also known as "the Texas White House," it is the private residence of the President of the United States, George W. Bush.

So whose house is gentler on the environment? Yet another story you WON'T hear on CNN, CBS, ABC, NBC, MSNBC or read about in the New York Times or the Washington Post. Indeed, for Mr. Gore, it's truly "an inconvenient truth."

NO KIDDING

Livinginthe past
04-19-2007, 09:44 AM
I have to admit I haven't seen the film 'The Inconvenient Truth' and I am totally not surprised that a politician is capable of being such a huge hypocrite.

This is just me, but the overall feeling I get from that article is that, because Mr Gore is hypocritical, that we should think that GW Bush has a more positive impact on the environmental well being of the USA and the world.

Which is crap.

I am going to presume that the news networks mentioned have a reputation for being somewhat 'liberal' in their stance on environmental issues and Bush's complete refusal to do anything maintain this planet (until very recently).

Another question you might ask yourself is - was GW Bush responsible for all these environmentally friendly aspects to the White House?

Or is it fair to say that many of these innovations were present when Clinton was in office (not that I think Clinton was any better in terms of green issue awareness)

One thing I have noticed is America's obsession with allowing every issue to be 'politicised' - everything turns into a ridiculous food fight between 'conservatives' and 'liberals'.

Its very simple - the environment is the single most important issue facing our race at this time - people need to 'get wise' instead of hiding behind ridiculous political oneupmanship.

Mosca
04-19-2007, 10:56 AM
withdrawn momentarily, no time to write any more.

Mosca
04-19-2007, 11:17 AM
Gore pays $432/mo premium to purchase his energy from the Green Power Switch program--energy created from the renewable resources solar & wind, and from methane. He is also in the process of installing solar panels to reduce that further. And he purchases offsets to pay for any energy from non-renewable sources, reducing his "carbon footprint" to zero.

The actual report doesn't say that the consumption isn't 20x the national average; it says that the bill is 12x the national average (Source: AP). When you figure the house is considerably larger than the average house and the $432/mo premium paid, it comes more into perspective.

Both men should be commended for their respective efforts, rather than compared for political purposes.

It looks like the "swiftboating" of Gore is already started.

Tom

Mosca
04-19-2007, 11:28 AM
Not sure if people are going to get this....

http://www.theonion.com/content/files/images/Cartoon-Hollywood-Gore.jpg

Mosca
04-19-2007, 12:29 PM
From today's Associated Press:

NASHVILLE, Tennessee (AP) -- Former Vice President Al Gore's upscale neighborhood granted the environmental activist approval Tuesday to install 33 solar panels on the roof of his mansion.

The city of Belle Meade, Tennessee, had blocked his application until new rules were approved unanimously late Tuesday, said Gore spokesman Chris Song. The city, located within metropolitan Nashville, said the panels must be placed in areas where they can't be seen by neighbors.

Gore, who starred in the documentary film "An Inconvenient Truth" about global warming, already buys enough energy from renewable energy sources such as solar, wind and methane gas to balance 100 percent of his electricity costs.

He is also upgrading the furnace, windows, and light switches, as well as installing new floor radiant heat and solar vents, to improve the home's energy standards, said Kalee Kreider, a Gore spokeswoman.

The home, bought by Gore in 2002, is more than 70 years old and illustrates the challenges of renovating an older home to conserve more energy, Kreider said.

"It's obviously easier to build a green home from the get-go," she said. "When you purchase an older home, these retrofits take a lot longer."

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-19-2007, 02:13 PM
From today's Associated Press:

NASHVILLE, Tennessee (AP) -- Former Vice President Al Gore's upscale neighborhood granted the environmental activist approval Tuesday to install 33 solar panels on the roof of his mansion.

The city of Belle Meade, Tennessee, had blocked his application until new rules were approved unanimously late Tuesday, said Gore spokesman Chris Song. The city, located within metropolitan Nashville, said the panels must be placed in areas where they can't be seen by neighbors.

Gore, who starred in the documentary film "An Inconvenient Truth" about global warming, already buys enough energy from renewable energy sources such as solar, wind and methane gas to balance 100 percent of his electricity costs.

He is also upgrading the furnace, windows, and light switches, as well as installing new floor radiant heat and solar vents, to improve the home's energy standards, said Kalee Kreider, a Gore spokeswoman.

The home, bought by Gore in 2002, is more than 70 years old and illustrates the challenges of renovating an older home to conserve more energy, Kreider said.

"It's obviously easier to build a green home from the get-go," she said. "When you purchase an older home, these retrofits take a lot longer."

To be fair..I will sent a copy of this to the person who sent me the original story...HOWEVER...it DOES sort of smell like he is trying to implement a little damage control.

Preacher
04-19-2007, 03:01 PM
LITP....

the house being talked about is not the whitehouse...

rather, it is Bush's personal home in Texas, which he built with those thing in mind.

And yes, I do see Gore as a hypocrite.

But beyond all that... Politics is politics... and politics has intertwined itself with this subject from day one...

or do we all forget the ozone hole that appeared over Kennebunkport Maine during the Clinton/Bush elections of 1992, then disappeared after the elections?

Yeah, no politics in the global warming debate... on either side.

This debate has become like the abortion debate... where the leaders and politicians care more to hear thier own voices and see how much power they can gain from it...

Mosca
04-19-2007, 03:18 PM
Oh, don't count me out of the cynical pile when it comes to any of these guys. The difference between Dems and Reps comes down to whose pockets are getting lined.

Tom

augustashark
04-19-2007, 03:19 PM
Its very simple - the environment is the single most important issue facing our race at this time - people need to 'get wise' instead of hiding behind ridiculous political oneupmanship.

:shake01:

I would have to say that a nuclear war with Iran or N Korea is maybe a little higher on my list.

I could be wrong though!

MasterOfPuppets
04-19-2007, 03:27 PM
:shake01:

I would have to say that a nuclear war with Iran or N Korea is maybe a little higher on my list.

I could be wrong though!
i'd say its the nfl draft...:wink02:

augustashark
04-19-2007, 03:33 PM
i'd say its the nfl draft...:wink02:

You're right. Thanks for bringing me back around.:cheers:

Stlrs4Life
04-19-2007, 09:06 PM
Not sure if people are going to get this....

http://www.theonion.com/content/files/images/Cartoon-Hollywood-Gore.jpg

That is so true! Pictures are wortha 1000 words.

Just like W's claim: "Mission Accomplished."