PDA

View Full Version : Faneca to skip mini camp?

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
04-19-2007, 11:29 PM
Okay Alan time to act like an adult. I get so sick and tired of these football players throwing tantrums. :yawn:

http://postgazette.com/pg/07110/779551-66.stm

Friday, April 20, 2007
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Mike Tomlin conducts his first minicamp this weekend, starting today, and he could be confronted with his first real issue as Steelers coach:

Will Alan Faneca show up?

Neither Faneca nor his agent, Rick Smith, returned phone calls to answer that question. But there are indications the All-Pro guard will not be in Pittsburgh this weekend.

He has attended none of the voluntary workouts with his teammates that began March 19. He is known to be unhappy with his contract that has one year remaining and with the pace of talks toward a new one. Smith said last month that he would no longer talk publicly about Faneca and that any comments about the player would have to come from "Rooney or Kevin Colbert."

Faneca is not yet required by contract to show up, even for this minicamp because it is voluntary. The first time Faneca or any other Steelers player must report is the weekend of May 11, when Tomlin continues his predecessor's practice of holding a required minicamp over Mother's Day Weekend. That's when a player can be fined for not showing.

Until then, the Faneca issue will fester. The Steelers have paid him a $1 million roster bonus that came due early in March.

There could be other Steelers who do not show today other than Faneca, but the turnout for their workouts the previous month generally has been good.

Tomlin will put his new team through two workouts on the field today, two more tomorrow and one on Sunday. No pads can be worn and, supposedly, there is to be no contact during the drills.

This will be the first time the team gets a chance to run its new offense under coordinator Bruce Arians, who was promoted from wide receivers coach to replace Ken Whisenhunt. Arians has streamlined the playbook but at the same time changed its language. He also said he wants to use four wide receivers at times on first down with the quarterback under center, not in the shotgun, and that he will put more responsibility on Ben Roethlisberger's shoulders. Roethlisberger, for instance, will call the pass protections this year instead of a lineman doing it.

Roethlisberger's been busy studying that new playbook.

"I've been looking over stuff. I take it on the road with me," he said. "I sit on the airplane and read over our no-huddle stuff and read over our cadence stuff.

"It's going to be difficult, there's no lying about it. But I think as we progress in it, I think we can be really good in it. I wish this were my same offense I've had for the whole time, the way Bruce talks about it and the things we're going to be able to do.

"I think it's something that's going to be a lot of fun and, once we get the hang of it, we can really be successful with it."

The biggest change expected when Tomlin was hired was supposed to come on defense because of his background in the 4-3 cover-2. Instead, Tomlin kept coordinator Dick LeBeau and most of his defensive staff and said he will stick with the 3-4, the defense the Steelers have run for a quarter of a century.

"We have the best 3-4 people in the world, I think," Tomlin said. "That's what we're going to do."

NOTES -- Four college prospects paid a visit to the Steelers yesterday, including punter Daniel Sepulveda of Baylor. The others were Miami linebacker Jon Beason, projected to go in the first round; tight end Cody Boyd of Washington State, and offensive tackle Allen Barbre of Missouri Southern. Wide receiver Andre Allison of East Carolina visited them Wednesday. ... Today is the deadline for restricted free agents to sign with other teams. The Steelers have two, OT Max Starks and QB Brian St. Pierre.

Preacher
04-20-2007, 12:11 AM
I was just coming back to post this same article...

How stupid. New coach... new staff... new offensive schemes..

bad choice Fanaca... Bad choice... Your not Ward. Don't think you will be treated like him.

holmes
04-20-2007, 01:54 AM
I think he should be the first one in the locker room stepping up to be a leader. He shouldn't be whining about Grimm and Whisenhunt, b/c I feel this is what this all about. Faneca should put the past behind him and step up to a new challenge, like everyone else is doing.

Blitzburger
04-20-2007, 03:44 AM
[QUOTE=NCSteeler;239357]I don't know what his deal is, but apparently he's been watching the Fa contracts this year adn is still alittle sore about Tomlin. Lifes tough, Man Up, do your job and you will get paid next year, by some other team.[QUOTE=NCSteeler;239357]

I'll wait to see what actually happens on Friday, but all I can say is good on the Rooneys and Kevin Colbert (as usual) not falling into the Free Agent trap, especially this year where no-talent practice-squad hacks are getting ridiculous contracts, especially on the O and D Lines. If Faneca is sore because he's paid appropriately, not overvalued and wants to get alot of money on a bad team, get rid of him now and we can draft a football player to replace him, not a glorified agent.

Galax Steeler
04-20-2007, 04:06 AM
I think we need to look to trade him now.

stillers4me
04-20-2007, 05:06 AM
Grow up and play football.

Indy_Steelers
04-20-2007, 05:09 AM
I think he should be the first one in the locker room stepping up to be a leader. He shouldn't be whining about Grimm and Whisenhunt, b/c I feel this is what this all about. Faneca should put the past behind him and step up to a new challenge, like everyone else is doing.

I agree. :cheers:

stlrtruck
04-20-2007, 07:12 AM
IMO I think it would be in his best interest to show up and play hard. This can only help him in his quest for a big contract. If not with the Steelers (most likely not) than definitely with another team.

I like Faneca, always have, and I just hope he does the right thing! Show up, be a leader, and play!

If only the athletes had the same mentality! But then again when you risk being cut year in and year out, I guess it's tit for tat in the NFL.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
04-20-2007, 07:13 AM
faneca's being a selfish prick...time for him to get over his man-love for russ grimm and joey porter and grow up. time to move him along...last thing this team needs is a cancer and he's quickly becoming one. he's alienating himself from the fans - BAD move!

The Duke
04-20-2007, 07:14 AM
If he makes a holdout please trade him,we might as well get something better and younger. I never thought Faneca would be this kind of player.

Atlanta Dan
04-20-2007, 07:46 AM
I admit to being surprised to see Faneca behave the way I expected Porter to behave during his contract year.

When you add this on to the Tomlin hiring comments, the failure to show up last month, and the agent's comments, it is obvious Fancea is not a happy camper. Having seen the Rooneys in action for 10 years Faneca has to know this conduct will not get him another $ from the Steelers, so he must be angling for a trade.

The big problem in trying to trade him now (in what presumably would have to be a pre-packaged trade and sign deal) is how at this late date any team could fit the type of contract Faneca expects under the cap for this year.

It seems as if a big % of the vets (together with the head coach) decided they accomplished everything they intended to achieve as Steelers with the SB XL win. 2005 was a magical season but several of the players other than Bettis (+ Cowher) have burned up a lot of the residual goodwill I might have for that team, as opposed to my ongoing respect for the 70s legends (whom I recognize did not have any leverage to act up on contract demands).

coachspeak33
04-20-2007, 08:04 AM
I was just coming back to post this same article...

How stupid. New coach... new staff... new offensive schemes..

bad choice Fanaca... Bad choice... Your not Ward. Don't think you will be treated like him.

Look, I am not thrilled with the rumor of his decision to miss the first mini camp...but lets not get carried away... Faneca is a perenial pro bowler and missing a spring-time mini camp is not going to have any major effect on his play. :blah:

And your right...he is not Hines Ward...Big Al plays his position far better than Hines plays his and he is a much more durable and reliable player than Ward, who has missed more games over the last two/three seasons than he has throughout his outstanding career.

If Faneca makes the decision to skip the mini camp... blame the rooneys for not ponying up the dough :dang: ...dont act like Faneca has a bad attitude...It is nothing more than a business decision...He is using the skills and excellent level of play as leverage to get paid...This is the way the NFL works...more importantly this is how our beloved rooneys treat their most talented players.

Faneca's play should be the least of our concerns.... what should concern us is how the rooneys plan on handling his contractual situation... Faneca missing camp is a figurative shot across the bow of the FO (pay me or bad things could happen down the road)... How will they react? Will they react act all?

My main concern is having this issue taken care of before the season.... I dont want another Peezy situation, where they(rooneys/colbert) publicly take a "we are gonna wait and see what happens" attitude.... all the while they (and most perceptive fans) know that at the end of the season they are gonna take the lazy/easy way out and let him walk and get nothing in return.

We drafted Big Al...we developed him...we groomed him into one of the premier O-linemen in the whole league... IMO, we have earned the right to get something better than a 4th round compensatory pick in return for his loss. :jammin:

Memo to the Rooneys... Pay him or trade him....IMO the dealine for this should be April 28....day 1 of 2007 draft

:tt02:

stlrtruck
04-20-2007, 08:17 AM
Look, I am not thrilled with the rumor of his decision to miss the first mini camp...but lets not get carried away... Faneca is a perenial pro bowler and missing a spring-time mini camp is not going to have any major effect on his play. :blah:

And your right...he is not Hines Ward...Big Al plays his position far better than Hines plays his and he is a much more durable and reliable player than Ward, who has missed more games over the last two/three seasons than he has throughout his outstanding career.

If Faneca makes the decision to skip the mini camp... blame the rooneys for not ponying up the dough :dang: ...dont act like Faneca has a bad attitude...It is nothing more than a business decision...He is using the skills and excellent level of play as leverage to get paid...This is the way the NFL works...more importantly this is how our beloved rooneys treat their most talented players.

Faneca's play should be the least of our concerns.... what should concern us is how the rooneys plan on handling his contractual situation... Faneca missing camp is a figurative shot across the bow of the FO (pay me or bad things could happen down the road)... How will they react? Will they react act all?

My main concern is having this issue taken care of before the season.... I dont want another Peezy situation, where they(rooneys/colbert) publicly take a "we are gonna wait and see what happens" attitude.... all the while they (and most perceptive fans) know that at the end of the season they are gonna take the lazy/easy way out and let him walk and get nothing in return.

We drafted Big Al...we developed him...we groomed him into one of the premier O-linemen in the whole league... IMO, we have earned the right to get something better than a 4th round compensatory pick in return for his loss. :jammin:

Memo to the Rooneys... Pay him or trade him....IMO the dealine for this should be April 28....day 1 of 2007 draft

I appreciate your comments and understand where you are coming from. I wish the Rooney's would trade their old habit of non-negotiation until the contract is up routine for one that includes making every attempt possible to keep and maintain important players on the team - of which Faneca is one of many.

However, Faneca's actions seem to me to be one that since he is so discontent with the current situation that he will continue to not show up for team functions. Again, I understand his situation - he wants to get paid and he deserves it.

With that being said, every player knows - or at least should know - that the Rooney's don't discuss contracts with players that hold out. So is Faneca's decision to skip this mini-camp a disaster for the team? Not yet. But it damn well could be the start of some discension amongst the team and that's the last thing we need. Faneca, among anyone on that team should know that.

The NFL is a two headed monster when it comes to players contracts. They really don't have to be followed by the team or the player. I mean a player can sign a huge 7 year deal worth millions but then in year 4 get cut and on the flip side a player has no battle against it. If he holds out, he gets fined. If he demands a trade, he's viewed as a poison in the locker room. So the player looks like the bad guy when all along, owners are screwing players all over. I remember this best when Woodson was up for a new contract and instead of signing him and letting him play FS, they cut him. And look who he got his Super Bowl ring with - the ratbirds. Woodson had been loyal to the team and the fans only to get screwed at the end of it. It's time for the Rooneys to start keeping some of these leaders on the Black and Gold.

Livinginthe past
04-20-2007, 08:20 AM

This pretty much mirrors my thoughts on the subject - its a business decision/tactic.

The best way to show the franchise your worth is to remove your services - Faneca knows full well that, with the O-line performing so shakily last year, that he may never find hismelf in such a strong negotiating position.

It also has to be said that, as the premiere Steeler O-lineman, taking part in mini-camps is probably not as esssential in terms of chemistry as it would be for a WR or LBer.

I don't think the Steelers can afford to lose both Porter and Faneca without any type of draft pick compensation.

The Asante Samuel situation in New England has taken a slightly nasty turn in recent weeks as the two teams are obviously some distance apart in evaluating the players worth to the team - at this point I would take a 1st round draft pick for him.

RoethlisBURGHer
04-20-2007, 08:21 AM
Coachspeak,the Rooneys don't have the dough to pony up.

We have very limited cap room and we need to be resigning Tro and Ben soon,and they are priorities over Faneca.

Missing this mini-camp IS a big deal,because there is little or anything the same with the Whisenhut/Cowher playbook.There is new language,and this is the time they are instilling this playbook in the players.I assume Faneca has his copy of the playbook,but it's important to be at the minicamp getting on the same wavelength as the rest of your offensive teammates.

Alan Faneca wants a new contract,and he wants to be coached by Russ Grimm instead of Mike Tomlin it seems.Well,I am all for trading him to Arizona where he can reunite with Tomlin and Whisenhut,get a fat new contract...and we can use thier second rounder on his replacement...I like Ben Grubbs of Auburn personally.

These players truly don't realize how lucky they are to be making millions to play a game when they could have easily ended up working in ordinary jobs makine a WHOLE LOT LESS.

Cape Cod Steel Head
04-20-2007, 08:35 AM
I hope that this situation is resolved soon. For as the o-line goes so go the Steelers.

Counselor
04-20-2007, 08:39 AM
I wish the Rooney's would trade their old habit of non-negotiation until the contract is up routine for one that includes making every attempt possible to keep and maintain important players on the team - of which Faneca is one of many.

The FO doesn't wait till the contract is up for the players they really know they want (and can afford) to keep. Which leads me to believe that perhaps they feel Faneca is expendable---or at least not worth the $ he demands. Perhaps they are correct. I trust they will figure this one out. The only thing that makes it a bigger problem is they don't have Cowher to "talk" Faneca in from a holdout (like he did with Porter and Ward).

What do you guys say---trade Faneca to Arizona for a nice tall wide reciever--straight up?

memphissteelergirl
04-20-2007, 08:40 AM
faneca's being a selfish prick...time for him to get over his man-love for russ grimm and joey porter and grow up. time to move him along...last thing this team needs is a cancer and he's quickly becoming one. he's alienating himself from the fans - BAD move!

:iagree:

I have always liked Al, but he needs to grow the hell up...hey, things don't always go your way, man. That's life. Grimm and Whiz are gone...Peezy's gone. Now just deal.

coachspeak33
04-20-2007, 08:42 AM
Coachspeak,the Rooneys don't have the dough to pony up.

We have very limited cap room and we need to be resigning Tro and Ben soon,and they are priorities over Faneca.

Missing this mini-camp IS a big deal,because there is little or anything the same with the Whisenhut/Cowher playbook.There is new language,and this is the time they are instilling this playbook in the players.I assume Faneca has his copy of the playbook,but it's important to be at the minicamp getting on the same wavelength as the rest of your offensive teammates.

Alan Faneca wants a new contract,and he wants to be coached by Russ Grimm instead of Mike Tomlin it seems.Well,I am all for trading him to Arizona where he can reunite with Tomlin and Whisenhut,get a fat new contract...and we can use thier second rounder on his replacement...I like Ben Grubbs of Auburn personally.

These players truly don't realize how lucky they are to be making millions to play a game when they could have easily ended up working in ordinary jobs makine a WHOLE LOT LESS.

Hmmmm....they dont have the dough.... You know what Faneca would say to you if he heard you say that.... Well me either (:wink02: ) but my guess is that it wou8ld be something like this...

Who just signed Sean Mahan to a 4 yr deal???? Who signed Tyrone Carter to a deal???? Or Najeh "I poo in clothes baskets" Davenport???? Or Ike Taylor a year ago for that matter????

I highly doubt Faneca will be offered a legit, fair market valued contract by the Rooneys. Apparently so does Big Al.... so trade him. Trade him to a team that will be vying for his services during next years free agent spending spree.

Offer a team desperate for O line help his all-pro serrvices for at least one season. Then that same team will probably have a better shot than anyone else to resign him.

Why, you ask. Because as we steeler fans already know.... Faneca is one of the good guys in the National Footbal League. Dont bash him because he is employed by someone who doesnt value excellence...but instead looks for overachieving, underpaid, loyal players.

coachspeak33
04-20-2007, 08:48 AM
:iagree:

I have always liked Al, but he needs to grow the hell up...hey, things don't always go your way, man. That's life. Grimm and Whiz are gone...Peezy's gone. Now just deal.

My guess is that names like Grimm, Whiz, and Peezy have very little to do with Faneca's actions.... And names such as Steinbach, Davis, Dockery, etc are the names Faneca is concecrned with....

People amaze me sometimes.... ya know loyalty is a two way street....what do you think Faneca and others say about the rooneys and colbert when the cameras arent around??? you think they sit around and say how they cant wait to play at 80-85% of their market value for the steelers???? Come on.... put yourself in the shoes of a guy whose peers deem his worth at or around 50 million dollars!!!!!!!!

I think some others need to consider growing up.

Bid-Niss Baby....Just Bid-Niss!!!!

Cape Cod Steel Head
04-20-2007, 08:50 AM
Our o line is shaky at best. We can't afford to trade him.

coachspeak33
04-20-2007, 08:55 AM
This pretty much mirrors my thoughts on the subject - its a business decision/tactic.

The best way to show the franchise your worth is to remove your services - Faneca knows full well that, with the O-line performing so shakily last year, that he may never find hismelf in such a strong negotiating position.

It also has to be said that, as the premiere Steeler O-lineman, taking part in mini-camps is probably not as esssential in terms of chemistry as it would be for a WR or LBer.

I don't think the Steelers can afford to lose both Porter and Faneca without any type of draft pick compensation.

The Asante Samuel situation in New England has taken a slightly nasty turn in recent weeks as the two teams are obviously some distance apart in evaluating the players worth to the team - at this point I would take a 1st round draft pick for him.

Very well put LITP....big difference between the Pats and the BnG is that the Pats will go out and take a one yr gamble on a guy like Tory James to hold down the fort.... they will accumulate picks.... they will trade a potential cap casualty (Branch) instead of watching him walk for nothing

Unfortunately for myself and other steeler fans this kind of proactive decision making exercised by the Pats is apparently not an ingredient of the famous Steeler Way.

Come on Rooney...Come on Colbert. Be proactive....Sign him or get something for a guy that is gonna wear another uniform sooner rather than later....DONT DO NOTHING!!!!!

coachspeak33
04-20-2007, 09:04 AM
I admit to being surprised to see Faneca behave the way I expected Porter to behave during his contract year.

When you add this on to the Tomlin hiring comments, the failure to show up last month, and the agent's comments, it is obvious Fancea is not a happy camper. Having seen the Rooneys in action for 10 years Faneca has to know this conduct will not get him another $ from the Steelers, so he must be angling for a trade.

The big problem in trying to trade him now (in what presumably would have to be a pre-packaged trade and sign deal) is how at this late date any team could fit the type of contract Faneca expects under the cap for this year.

It seems as if a big % of the vets (together with the head coach) decided they accomplished everything they intended to achieve as Steelers with the SB XL win. 2005 was a magical season but several of the players other than Bettis (+ Cowher) have burned up a lot of the residual goodwill I might have for that team, as opposed to my ongoing respect for the 70s legends (whom I recognize did not have any leverage to act up on contract demands).

Very well stated Dan of the Atl....one thought however, the Rooneys and Colbert may have set them selves up for some of this by allowing Hines to hold out and then giving in to his demands and making him the highest paid player in franchise history

Was I happy they signed Hines.....Of course.
Was I happy to see how much money he got....Probably Not.
Do I think signing Hines was the right thing to do....Absolutely.

But remember this is the NFL....Hines will NOT see the last yr or to of this same exact contract...he will either restructure, leave, or retire.

The chance that Hines plays for the steelers in three or four seasons and they pay him 9 million dollars is equal to the chances of the rooneys spending 50 million dollars on a guard.........ZERO

coachspeak33
04-20-2007, 09:07 AM
The FO doesn't wait till the contract is up for the players they really know they want (and can afford) to keep. Which leads me to believe that perhaps they feel Faneca is expendable---or at least not worth the $ he demands. Perhaps they are correct. I trust they will figure this one out. The only thing that makes it a bigger problem is they don't have Cowher to "talk" Faneca in from a holdout (like he did with Porter and Ward).

What do you guys say---trade Faneca to Arizona for a nice tall wide reciever--straight up?

I dont know if it would be that simple but I love where your going :tt02:

TackleMeBen
04-20-2007, 09:10 AM
He knows how the organization works. So why pout about it.. He should get to camp and prove that is worth a new big contract, and if he doesnt want to do that, then he should ask to be traded. I dont want him disturbing the locker room this year. We need guys that want to play for the Steelers and go back to a Superbowl.

tony hipchest
04-20-2007, 09:19 AM
Our o line is shaky at best. We can't afford to trade him.and we cant afford to keep him so i guess were stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Very well put LITP....big difference between the Pats and the BnG is that the Pats will go out and take a one yr gamble on a guy like Tory James to hold down the fort.... they will accumulate picks.... they will trade a potential cap casualty (Branch) instead of watching him walk for nothing

Unfortunately for myself and other steeler fans this kind of proactive decision making exercised by the Pats is apparently not an ingredient of the famous Steeler Way.

Come on Rooney...Come on Colbert. Be proactive....Sign him or get something for a guy that is gonna wear another uniform sooner rather than later....DONT DO NOTHING!!!!!unfortunately doing what philadelphia did with shawn andrews (recognizing a young player is going to be an integral part of the future and extending him before he hits the final year of his contract) isnt an ingredient of the steeler way either.

i dont think steelerfans are seing the reality of the situation. marvel smith is going to need an extension. anyone think he wants to take a paycut when he sees what dallas paid leonard davis? starks will likely be gone. 90% of steelerfans would probably applaud if simmons was cut, and faneca has every option to turn down ANY offer from the steelers and go play elsewhere next year. oh, and we have troy and haggans to worry about too, not to mention wards $8 million cap hit next season.

whether anyone likes it or not we will be seeing a completely rebuilt line in the next year or 2 (comletely different from the one that won a SB). one that is more built to protect a passer like ben and open quick holes for a speedster like parker, rather than a plodding bruiser like jerome, and a running qb like kordell. why do you think grimm and whiz werent kept? they didnt fit the direction this team is going in, and us fans are the last to realize it.

does anyone know who marcus mcniel (chargers) or logan mankins (patriots) are? late 1st round 2nd round linemen who stepped into starting jobs as a rookie. we need to quit being so scared of starting a rookie.

trade faneca and get the draft picks we need. hell if we could trade him for picks that turned into justin blaylock and michael bush, i think i would be satisfied.

MasterOfPuppets
04-20-2007, 09:24 AM
faneca definitly needs to be traded i hate to see him go,but i'd hate even more to see him walk for nothing. everyone in the free world knows he's not going to get an 18 million bonus,and 49 million salary from the steelers ,and that includes faneca. and i don't think the steelers are wrong for not paying....

But what is really staggering ? and what threatens to create some serious salary cap problems down the line ? is the money the offensive guards have commanded. Many talent evaluators have long considered guard a non-essential position and there was a belief that you didn't need to pay major sums to sign the most talented guards. The feeling was that for $4 million-$5 million a season and modest guaranteed money, you could sign some of the best guards in the league. That was before the combined $137 million in deals, $52.5 million guaranteed, signed by Eric Steinbach (Cleveland Browns), Kris Dielman (San Diego Chargers) and Derrick Dockery (Buffalo Bills).

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cr-wildsalaries030507&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Atlanta Dan
04-20-2007, 09:27 AM
Very well stated Dan of the Atl....one thought however, the Rooneys and Colbert may have set them selves up for some of this by allowing Hines to hold out and then giving in to his demands and making him the highest paid player in franchise history

Was I happy they signed Hines.....Of course.
Was I happy to see how much money he got....Probably Not.
Do I think signing Hines was the right thing to do....Absolutely.

But remember this is the NFL....Hines will NOT see the last yr or to of this same exact contract...he will either restructure, leave, or retire.

The chance that Hines plays for the steelers in three or four seasons and they pay him 9 million dollars is equal to the chances of the rooneys spending 50 million dollars on a guard.........ZERO

IMHO the Steelers "won" their negotiation with Ward and his holdout did not get him more $$; Ward came into camp without a contract having been negotiated, with the figleaf that Hines came in because he did not want to be perceived as being T.O. (who was attempting to renegotiate his contract with the Eagles during 2005 camp). With the constant increase in salaries, whichever starter signs the latest contract will be "the highest paid player in Steelers history" at their position. As you note, Ward will never see the backloaded years on his current contract and I believe is in his last season as a Steeler.

Since I think Faneca's level of play slipped last year, Faneca wants his $$$ now rather than 2008 in order to avoid both risk of injury and his market value slipping if his level of play drops again in 2007. Since the Steelers simply do not have the cap $$ to sign both Troy and Faneca to the going market rates for contracts given to players of their skill level at their positions (and what is going on with Troy's contract?) Faneca is not going to get his contract with the Steelers. As stated before, it may be difficult to get fair draft pick value for him through a trade at this point.

I agree that with the current explosion in salary levels the Steelers need to rethink their policy of not negotiatiing a new contract until the last year of the current contract.

coachspeak33
04-20-2007, 09:35 AM
I can picture it now....
There I sit, baking in the summer sun. I am surrounded by black and gold as I sit in Fawcett Stadium in Canton, Ohio getting ready for the Hall of Fame game. What are all the fans talking about?

They are talking about how Faneca is holding out.
Will the rooneys sign him?
How will this effect the transition to a new HC (for the first time in a decade and a half)?

If it gets to this point... we are truely boned.

No other way to put it because if he isnt traded before the draft he wont get traded. He may be cut but not traded. More than likely however he comes to camp late...plays uninspired football (attmepting to stay healthy perhaps to reach his payday)...and walks while we get nothing in return. I dont like the sounds of that at all.

04-20-2007, 09:38 AM
I agree that the Steelers FO needs to be pro active on this situation. Fanaca is obviously not happy with his current deal, and the Steelers appearently have no interest is signing him to a long term extension. The Steelers can't afford to lose another marque player and get nothing in return. I really like the idea of trading him to Arizona for thier second round pick ( and possibly another low round pick to sweeten the deal). Our O-Line is in a state of flux, and we might as well start the transition now, rather than waiting for these guys (Fanaca and Smith) to leave and only receive compensatory picks in return. It may hurt next season, but trading Fanaca on draft day will probably be best for both parties in the long run.

SCSTILLER
04-20-2007, 09:40 AM
Beaver county times just reported that Faneca just showed up to camp. Don't know how true this is considering I haven't found it printed anywhere else, but hopefully it is true. Would like to give a link but not able to because I am not up to a fifty post count yet. Check timesonline.com

tony hipchest
04-20-2007, 09:48 AM
Beaver county times just reported that Faneca just showed up to camp. Don't know how true this is considering I haven't found it printed anywhere else, but hopefully it is true. Would like to give a link but not able to because I am not up to a fifty post count yet. Check timesonline.comthis would be good news, but i still want to trade him. not because i feel he is or has done anything wrondg and needs to be punished, its just the best thing to do for the long term health of the club. (like the pats trading branch and a jar of vaseline for seattles #1 pick. branchs money = adalius thomas) thats a nice 2 for 1 deal right there

Atlanta Dan
04-20-2007, 09:48 AM
Beaver county times just reported that Faneca just showed up to camp. Don't know how true this is considering I haven't found it printed anywhere else, but hopefully it is true. Would like to give a link but not able to because I am not up to a fifty post count yet. Check timesonline.com

Here is the link

Story said he would report and was in Pittsburgh last evening -not based on any events this morning.

http://www.timesonline.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=18237548&BRD=2305&PAG=461&dept_id=478568&rfi=6

Interesting if the Beaver County Times got it right and Ed.B. of the P-G got it wrong.

coachspeak33
04-20-2007, 09:50 AM
Come to think of it.... I DONT WANT HIM TO SHOW AT THE MINI CAMP....

Why?

Not because I dont want him to finish his career in Pittsburgh, but because the FO is not willing to do what it takes to keep him....

and if he doesnt come to camp...and continues to position himself via no-shows, holdouts, etc....then there is a better chance that he will be traded....

instead of the patented rooney, "we dont respond to players who want raises...we dont negotiate while a deal is in place....we dont negociate until the deal has expired....ooops we dont have the money to sign you.....sorry to see you go"

troy43
04-20-2007, 09:58 AM
Faneca reports to minicamp
By: Mike Bires, Times Sports Staff
04/19/2007
Email to a friendPrinter-friendly
PITTSBURGH - At 10:15 this morning, virtually all the Steelers - All-Pro guard Alan Faneca included - will be on the practice field for the first session of a three-day mini-camp.

Advertisement

Perhaps the most intriguing question on a team loaded with question marks is the mindset of Faneca, who failed to show up for any of the Steelers' voluntary conditioning workouts the past several weeks.

The most accomplished guard in franchise history, Faneca reportedly is a disgruntled Steeler.

Granted, the off-season program is strictly voluntary. None of the Steelers was forced to be there, although a majority did attend.

A Steeler spokesman even said that Faneca didn't attend the off-season workouts last year, either. Faneca, the Steelers' No. 1 pick in the 1998 NFL Draft, chose instead to work out on his own in his home near New Orleans.

Likewise, this weekend's mini-camp isn't mandatory either. The May 11-13 mini-camp is a must, but not this one.

Still, Faneca has arrived in Pittsburgh and will start practicing for the first time under new coach Mike Tomlin.

Even though Faneca has played in six straight Pro Bowls and has earned All-Pro honors five straight years, his agent and Steeler negotiators have failed to reach an agreement on a contract extension. In this, his last year of his contract, Faneca is due to make a base salary of $3.375 million and will count $6.122 million toward the salary cap.

But it seems that the Steelers' and Faneca's agent, Rick Smith, can't even get to first base in their discussions for a contract that could keep No. 66 in the fold for the remainder of his career.

Moreover, Faneca wasn't exactly doing cartwheels when Tomlin was hired to replace Bill Cowher, who resigned in January after 15 seasons with the Steelers. Faneca and the other offensive linemen preferred Russ Grimm, the Steelers' associate head coach/O-line coach the past few years.

Faneca adored Grimm, who played in four Super Bowls during his career with the Washington Redskins. So it will be interesting to see how Faneca meshes with Tomlin and new line coach Larry Zierlein.

Even though the 61-year-old Zierlein has 37 years of coaching experience, he's only coached in the NFL for five years. He spent last year as the line coach with the Buffalo Bills after coaching the Cleveland Browns' line for four seasons.

The Steelers will hold two practices today and Saturday (10:15 a.m. and 3:15 p.m.) and one Sunday morning.

?Beaver County Times Allegheny Times 2007

rowedf
04-20-2007, 10:06 AM
Why are the still reporting this morning (4-20) that he still has not shown up?

troy43
04-20-2007, 10:11 AM
Scout.com is also reporting he is there and they will try to speak to him after practice.

troy43
04-20-2007, 10:13 AM
Hes at the Mini Camp

Per Scout.com

Quote:
FRIDAY, APRIL 20, 10:15 a.m.

* Alan Faneca is practicing with the team right now. We'll have quotes from him after the first workout of the day. (--j.w.)

rbryan
04-20-2007, 10:23 AM
I will be disappointed if we can't make a deal to keep him in the Black & Gold. He is the best lineman we have and arguably one of the top 3 or 4 in Steeler history. He deserves the $ as much if not more than Ward did. He still has a good 3 or 4 years left in the tank, so don't tell me he's getting too old.

83-Steelers-43
04-20-2007, 10:54 AM
Steelers' mini camp opens without Faneca

By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, April 20, 2007

Steelers' mini camp opened this morning with some intrigue.

Perennial Pro Bowl guard Alan Faneca did not participate in the first organized drills under new coach Mike Tomlin, and it not known if he will take part in any of the practices that will be held today through Sunday even though he was at the Steelers' South Side practice facility Thursday.

Troy Polamalu is another notable no-show though the safety has cleared his absence from mini camp, which is not mandatory, with the team.

If Faneca skips all of mini camp that could trigger a staredown with the Steelers over money.

Faneca is in the final year of his contract, and the nine-year veteran and the Steelers don't appear to be close to reaching an agreement on a long-term extension.

Faneca, who has made six consecutive Pro Bowls, will make around $3.4 million this season.

Guards Eric Steinbach and Derrick Dockery, neither of whom has been to a Pro Bowl, landed contracts during the free agent signing period that could pay each as much as $47 million.

Faneca. 30, did not participate in earlier offseason workouts at the Steelers' South Side practice facility.

Those also are not mandatory.

Faneca's absence, however, coupled with his contract situation and comments that he wanted his former position coach, Russ Grimm, to get the head coaching job that went to Tomlin led to speculation that the left guard is unhappy with the Steelers.

The Steelers will practice twice today, two times Saturday and once on Sunday.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_503770.html

Livinginthe past
04-20-2007, 10:59 AM
This is weird - is he there or not?

My gut feeling is that its easier to miss a guy being at practice than it is to totally fabricate his presense.

Atlanta Dan
04-20-2007, 11:09 AM
The Beaver Times article was written in the future tense and is as much a piece of speculation as the articles written yesterday that stated Faneca would not be there.

P-G has a photo of Tomlin grinning at mini-camp this morning but nothing on Faneca's whereabouts.

I guess it is time to start asking whether Troy gets a pass for his no show. One of the articles posted above says Troy was absent with the team's blessing but he also is in the last year of his contract and a more crucial player to retain for the long term future.

Anyone know if Troy always blows off mini-camp or whether this is new?

troy43
04-20-2007, 11:19 AM
Per Scout.com

FRIDAY, APRIL 20, 11:15 a.m.

* Okay, we have our first mistake of the hour-long season. Alan Faneca is NOT on the field. He reported to the South Side facility Thursday night and showed up again Friday morning, but did not suit up. Dan Rooney confirmed Faneca had been at the facility.

"He WAS here," Rooney said.

Was he negotiating with you?

"No," Rooney said.

What's he doing here?

"I'm not going to speak for him," Rooney said.

Updates as we get them.

Livinginthe past
04-20-2007, 11:32 AM
I can picture it now....
There I sit, baking in the summer sun. I am surrounded by black and gold as I sit in Fawcett Stadium in Canton, Ohio getting ready for the Hall of Fame game. What are all the fans talking about?

They are talking about how Faneca is holding out.
Will the rooneys sign him?
How will this effect the transition to a new HC (for the first time in a decade and a half)?

If it gets to this point... we are truely boned.

No other way to put it because if he isnt traded before the draft he wont get traded. He may be cut but not traded. More than likely however he comes to camp late...plays uninspired football (attmepting to stay healthy perhaps to reach his payday)...and walks while we get nothing in return. I dont like the sounds of that at all.

Why don't you think that a draft day trade is a possibility?

Every pick that is made gives teams more information on which to base a potential trade for Faneca - that includes a player the Steleers are 'in love with' being available for a reasonable trade up - aswell as a team in the top 5/10 not being able to land Joe Thomas.

I feel, realistically, that a top 10 team will trade down as soon as Thomas comes off the board, if they really want a quality O-Lineman.

tony hipchest
04-20-2007, 11:39 AM
fanecas value could actually raise on draft day. especially if you give some team a cold call who arent prepared to say no, like the raiders for their 33rd and next years 2nd. this is a weak class for linemen. after thomas and grubb, theres really no one in fanecas league. faneca can easilly go to the pro bowl the next 3-4 years. i dont think you can be as sure saying that with anyone picked outside of the top 10 this year.

coachspeak33
04-20-2007, 11:54 AM
Why don't you think that a draft day trade is a possibility?

Every pick that is made gives teams more information on which to base a potential trade for Faneca - that includes a player the Steleers are 'in love with' being available for a reasonable trade up - aswell as a team in the top 5/10 not being able to land Joe Thomas.

I feel, realistically, that a top 10 team will trade down as soon as Thomas comes off the board, if they really want a quality O-Lineman.

Simply put LITP....I highly doubt a draft day trade involving Faneca takes place because the Rooneys have proven to me that they still refuse to "modernize" their approach to personel.:old:

Okay, okay....before i get tore up by the sheep....No I dont want to root for Skins or the Clownies....Yes I love the Steelers and have eyes for no other (hows that for a pre-emptive strike?):tt02:

However, the rooneys and colbert have a prehistoric approach to personel moves....Hell, maybe it was cowher who vetoed any PROACTIVE personel decisions....Maybe Tomlin will be more agressive....Dunno:shake01:

Come to think of it there is a lot to this mess that we just dont have access to....the steelers FO plays things pretty close to the vest....so obviously we all are guessing

But I do believe strongly in the following:
-Faneca will NOT sign a deal that isnt fair market value
-The rooneys will not sign him to a fair market valued deal (around 7 million per season)
-Their are probably 10 teams, at the very least, who would pay Faneca fair market value
-Mahan signed moreso because of Faneca's contractual situation than the loss of Hartings
-The Steelers do NOT want to have to pay a top 10 selection's bonus money (ie. wont trade up)

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-20-2007, 11:59 AM
He made the probowl last year by his name alone.......
Hes aging and is going to want big money...We have troy and Ben to sign in the next 2 consecutive years....I say we trade Fenaca to the cardinals right now for their 1st and another one of our late draft chices if necessary

coachspeak33
04-20-2007, 12:11 PM
He made the probowl last year by his name alone.......
Hes aging and is going to want big money...We have troy and Ben to sign in the next 2 consecutive years....I say we trade Fenaca to the cardinals right now for their 1st and another one of our late draft chices if necessary

The Cardinals arent going to make any kind of move until they see if Thomas is gonna fall to them....

And the Steelers FO will not trade up into the top 10 of the draft....they dont want to hand out big bonus dollars to rooks

The more I think about it....the rooneys are gonna do with Faneca exactly what they did with Peezy and every other stud that ended up being a cap casualty...

they are gonna underpay him until his contract is up and then watch him walk for nothing:jawdrop: GOD I HOPE I AM WRONG

Atlanta Dan
04-20-2007, 01:10 PM
Per Scout.com

FRIDAY, APRIL 20, 11:15 a.m.

* Okay, we have our first mistake of the hour-long season. Alan Faneca is NOT on the field. He reported to the South Side facility Thursday night and showed up again Friday morning, but did not suit up. Dan Rooney confirmed Faneca had been at the facility.

"He WAS here," Rooney said.

Was he negotiating with you?

"No," Rooney said.

What's he doing here?

"I'm not going to speak for him," Rooney said.

Updates as we get them.

He probably was cleaning out his locker :dang:

My guess is he blows off part of training camp as well if he is not traded - he knows he will not get a new contract so he probably figures why bother going through any more hassle than necessary during his last season as a Steeler.

Atlanta Dan
04-20-2007, 01:12 PM
The more I think about it....the rooneys are gonna do with Faneca exactly what they did with Peezy and every other stud that ended up being a cap casualty...

they are gonna underpay him until his contract is up and then watch him walk for nothing:jawdrop: GOD I HOPE I AM WRONG

Except with Porter they let him walk with nothing in return and did not even get his last year due under the contract.

Atlanta Dan
04-20-2007, 01:15 PM
Mods - shoudl the 2 Faneca min-camp non-appearance threads be merged?

Thanks

coachspeak33
04-20-2007, 01:25 PM
[QUOTE=Atlanta Dan;239463]Except with Porter they let him walk with nothing in return and did not even get his last year due under the contract.[/QUOTE

In the words of my all time favorite announcer, Myron Cope....."thats a stinky, a double-stinky"

fansince'76
04-20-2007, 01:27 PM
Faneca minicamp threads merged - thanks, Dan.

memphissteelergirl
04-20-2007, 01:49 PM
Dag! It's like Elvis sightings, isn't it??

MasterOfPuppets
04-20-2007, 02:46 PM
where's waldo???:huh:

polamalufan43
04-20-2007, 02:48 PM
I f he skipps he can almost guarantee himself risking his starter position. At least I would consider it if I was HC. After all, isn't russ grimm not become HC what this is all about.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

MasterOfPuppets
04-20-2007, 02:52 PM
I f he skipps he can almost guarantee himself risking his starter position. At least I would consider it if I was HC. After all, isn't russ grimm not become HC what this is all about.

nope....$$$$$$$$$$$$ is what its all about

polamalufan43
04-20-2007, 02:59 PM
nope....$$$$$$$$$$$$ is what its all about

Ooh... that too...

83-Steelers-43
04-20-2007, 03:31 PM
P-G has a photo of Tomlin grinning at mini-camp this morning but nothing on Faneca's whereabouts.

Per PPG: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07110/779711-66.stm

Well at least we know both Polamalu and Haggans are out because of "personal reasons". I'm not concerned with those two.

NV STEELERS 723
04-20-2007, 04:29 PM
Who do you guys want????????? Faneca signed to a big $$$$ contract, OR money and cap room left for Troy and Ben...

I'd rather have Troy and Ben!!!

tony hipchest
04-20-2007, 04:59 PM
Per PPG: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07110/779711-66.stm

Well at least we know both Polamalu and Haggans are out because of "personal reasons". I'm not concerned with those two.is it just a coincidence all those with expiring contracts are having "personal" excuses?

Faneca is unhappy with his contract, according to several of his teammates. Faneca has one year left on his deal and also is not happy with the lack of negotiations on an extension.

nobody releases juicy little nuggets like this to the media, like hines ward.

83-Steelers-43
04-20-2007, 05:16 PM
is it just a coincidence all those with expiring contracts are having "personal" excuses?

Good point. I guess we'll know for sure in the near future?

Atlanta Dan
04-20-2007, 05:19 PM
is it just a coincidence all those with expiring contracts are having "personal" excuses?

nobody releases juicy little nuggets like this to the media, like hines ward.

Oh yeah - Hines definitely is a source here; he leaves it all on the field but off the field he is always sniping. At least he will not have to claim he was misquoted since he is an anonymous source here.

I think Hines will be following Porter and Faneca out the door after this season as the 8-10 year vets are shown the door by Team Tomlin.

tony hipchest
04-20-2007, 05:25 PM
Oh yeah - Hines definitely is a source here; he leaves it all on the field but off the field he is always sniping. At least he will not have to claim he was misquoted since he is an anonymous source here.

I think Hines will be following Porter and Faneca out the door after this season as the 8-10 year vets are shown the door by Team Tomlin.wow. thats a good number of vets. i wonder what tomlin would do with an extra 1st and 3rd for faneca, and san fransiscos 2nd and 4th for ward (besides save a hell of alot of cap room and prevent us from entering salary cap hell)

Florida_Steelers_Fan
04-20-2007, 06:07 PM
all i know is that alan faneca was on the same field that saw ben roethlisberger laying on his back a lot this past season. faneca may have BEEN an all-pro, but i'm not giving him a bunch of money when his best days are no doubt behind him. i'm not one of those who believes he's irreplacable - better to cut the strings loose to early than too late.

this team needs leadership...faneca is now proving that it won't come from him. let him become someone else's EXPENSIVE problem.

SteelCzar76
04-20-2007, 06:28 PM

Alan is'nt 'carrying a torch" (LOL) for Peazy or Grimm as much as he is simply letting it be known through his actions that HE regards certain actions made by the leadership of our organization to be,......unwise or perhaps dishonorable. (specifically in Joey's case regarding not even attempting to come to an agreement on a deal.)
Actions which may give him reason to question (along with others whom many consider to be integral players whom have EARNED this organizations respect),...the actual nature of the how the they view his (and their) respective 'value'

Bottom line,....."If it's f#ck me,.......then it's most assuredly,.....f#ck you !" LMAO
It has nothing to do with "fans" in the least manner.

Hines86Ward
04-20-2007, 06:30 PM
Why is it whenever there's been a change within the past 3-4 years, it's always Faneca complaining? He's 30 years old, but sometimes (like right now) he acts like he's 8. And there's absolutely no reason for any pro athlete to be complaining about a multi-million dollar contract when there's regular people working harder & earning less money. Trade him now while we can get something for him....

steelafan
04-20-2007, 07:24 PM
What if the FO is simply not negotiating because they do not plan to resign Faneca after this year? What would we fans have him do in that case? I'm sure Faneca was thinking he would retire a Steeler, but this scenario would change things. How should a player handle his risk in his last year in that situation?

holmes
04-20-2007, 08:06 PM
Why is it whenever there's been a change within the past 3-4 years, it's always Faneca complaining? He's 30 years old, but sometimes (like right now) he acts like he's 8. And there's absolutely no reason for any pro athlete to be complaining about a multi-million dollar contract when there's regular people working harder & earning less money. Trade him now while we can get something for him....

I agree 100%!!!

Stlrs4Life
04-20-2007, 08:07 PM

Exactly. If he is a leader, he should be leading by example. The more I read about him, the more I want him traded. Nobodies going to bite, cause they know after this season they can bid on him.

steelafan
04-20-2007, 08:37 PM
Alan is'nt 'carrying a torch" (LOL) for Peazy or Grimm as much as he is simply letting it be known through his actions that HE regards certain actions made by the leadership of our organization to be,......unwise or perhaps dishonorable. (specifically in Joey's case regarding not even attempting to come to an agreement on a deal.)
Actions which may give him reason to question (along with others whom many consider to be integral players whom have EARNED this organizations respect),...the actual nature of the how the they view his (and their) respective 'value'

Ditto.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
04-21-2007, 01:04 PM
these guys don't live in fantasyland...there's that little hitch called a "salary cap" that means not everyone can get everything they want financially. hines ward, alan faneca, joey porter - all need to realize you "can't have your cake and eat it too." joey was cut loose because of salary cap reasons, his age, and a decline in play.

i'm a STEELERS fan, not an alan faneca fan. i'm sure he'll look nice in a cardinals jersey...

steelafan
04-21-2007, 01:15 PM
The disease of me leads to the defeat of us.

Your signature is accurate in many areas of life. I believe the "disease of me" started in the NFL years (or should I say decades) ago with the owners greed and not giving the players a fair share of the money. That's what made the players have to demand free agency opportunities. Then the salary cap became a necessity and then . . . .

steelmann58
04-21-2007, 03:30 PM
just pure speculation but if Alan is going to be a problem and since all signs look to him not Playing with the Steelers beyond this season. Should the Fo look into a possible draft day trade.

DACEB
04-21-2007, 05:53 PM
I stated in the Porter thread that winning is the best form of amnesia. I know how we can forget about Faneca and Porter.

1. Trade up to the 'skins pick #6 and grab Gaines Adams. (this could be done for our 1st, 2nd, one of our 4th and one of our 5th round picks)

2. Trade Faneca to anyone willing to take him for a 1st round or at least a couple of 1st day picks. Pick up a couple of o-linemen that are versatile and move on. (this would get us back the picks we lost for moving up)

We cannot allow the inmates to run the asylum!!

Edman
04-21-2007, 06:19 PM
Faneca should have the common sense to know how the Steelers FO does things. They're not going to shell out that kind of money for him. Plus, he's not getting any younger. Couple that with his borderline malicious remarks about him wanting Grimm and slamming the Tomlin hire at the Pro Bowl, you know damn well Alan is not going to do anything for Mike. Mandatory or not. Besides, he have Troy's upcoming contract to take care of.

The Steelers should do the smart thing and trade Alan while he has value in the league and pick up a few draft picks.

Peezy was the first one out the door, Faneca should be right behind him. I'm tired of this veteran BS.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
04-21-2007, 08:38 PM
Your signature is accurate in many areas of life. I believe the "disease of me" started in the NFL years (or should I say decades) ago with the owners greed and not giving the players a fair share of the money. That's what made the players have to demand free agency opportunities. Then the salary cap became a necessity and then . . . .

that quote is from pat riley (i read it in a book he wrote years ago and it stuck with me)...he coined that phrase when he coached the lakers years ago, and made that a staple of the team's identity.

personally, i think we're going to witness a change of identity with the steelers...mike tomlin is going to make ben roethlisberger the face of this franchise. now that porter (and his antics) are gone, faneca soon to be, and most likely hines ward in a couple years (due to his hefty contract and age), and bill cowher's chin/spittle, it's a logical choice to see big ben assume the leadership role on this team.

Steeldude
04-22-2007, 01:43 AM
so he is not going to a "voluntary" camp? big deal!

faneca will most likely play this season and then he will become a cardinal. IMO, guards are not as difficult to replace as tackles.

faneca isn't getting any younger and the steelers have other areas to address. one being the extension of polamalu.

Preacher
04-22-2007, 02:12 AM
Except with Porter they let him walk with nothing in return and did not even get his last year due under the contract.

However... wasn't Porter's release also due to the fact that his roster bonus was due... and would cause problems with the cap? Trading him may or may not have released that money under the cap, where as releasing him may have.

AND FOR THOSE RAILING AGAINST THE FO....

They have kept us competitive for three of four decades... since the early nineties... almost every season, they have had a legitimate chance at the playoffs... Heck... even last year, they were what... 1 game out. I can only think of 3 or 4 other seasons when they were out of the playoffs come Thanksgiving.... since 1992...

What other team can boast that???? What other team can boast continued strength and overall superiority for a decade and a half??? almost three decades out of the last four... and most of that has come IN THE LAST DECADE AND A HALF....

So if that is old-timer crotchedy FO... I say GREAT... let's keep it going that way.

Cause I don't want to end up like Dallas, San Francisco, Buffalo, etc. who win for a few years.. then disappear into the abyss for a few years.

Atlanta Dan
04-22-2007, 07:18 AM
However... wasn't Porter's release also due to the fact that his roster bonus was due... and would cause problems with the cap? Trading him may or may not have released that money under the cap, where as releasing him may have.

Porter's bonus was $1 million, same as the bonus Faneca received in March.

At the time, Ed.B. of the P-G wrote:

Porter, perhaps the Steelers' best overall defensive player in the 21st century whose play helped win them a Super Bowl 13 months ago, was due a $1 million roster bonus by Tuesday and a $4 million salary in the final year of his contract. That, and other factors, prompted the Steelers to release him.

"Unfortunately, sometimes you have to terminate a good player, just to make it all work,'' said Kevin Colbert, the team's director of football operations.Although no one on the Steelers would say so, the threat by Porter to hold out last summer played a factor in his release. Team officials did not want to burden new head coach Mike Tomlin with that kind of threat to his authority. Even though Porter was scheduled to make $5 million in the final year of his deal, he was unhappy with his contract and there was a chance he might boycott some of the minicamps and then training camp had he remained with the team.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07061/766304-66.stm

So much for avoiding messy contract disputes and all challenges to Tomlin's authority by cutting Porter.

With regard to other happy campers, today's P-G reports that:

OT Max Starks said he will sign his one-year, $1.85 million contract the Steelers tended him as a restricted free agent, but he was in no hurry to do so. QB Brian St. Pierre, the team's only other RFA, was to sign his one-year, $850,000 contract tender yesterday. The period for an RFA to sign with another team ended Friday. There are no contract talks toward extensions for either player, both of who would become unrestricted free agents in March

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07112/780085-66.stm

Looks like Marvel Smith may be the only OL starter from the SB XL team that will be around after this season.

Livinginthe past
04-22-2007, 07:35 AM
Anyone know how much cap room, if any, the Steelers would have lost by paying Porter his roster bonus and then trading him?

83-Steelers-43
04-23-2007, 07:57 AM
Tomlin plans to talk with Faneca

By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, April 23, 2007

Mike Tomlin said he will try to reach out to Pro Bowl guard Alan Faneca before the Steelers hold their next minicamp in three weeks.

"I'm looking to establish personal relationships with all of the guys, Alan included," Tomlin said Sunday after the Steelers concluded their first minicamp under the new coach.

Faneca skipped the first of two minicamps the Steelers are allowed this year and is apparently unhappy with his contract situation. He is in the final year of a deal that will pay him about $3.4 million this season, and not much progress has been made on a contract extension.

Two other players (safety Troy Polamalu and linebacker Clark Haggans) missed minicamp, but they cleared their absences with the team.

The minicamp that wrapped up late yesterday morning was voluntary, but the one that will be held May 11-13 is mandatory. If Faneca does not participate in that minicamp, a training camp holdout may also be in the offing.

"We'll worry about it when it approaches," Tomlin said.

Wide receiver Hines Ward said the Steelers' players understand Faneca's situation, because each of them has had to deal with the business side of the game.

"Who am I to say what's right or wrong for Faneca? Who's anybody to say what's right or wrong for Hines?" said Ward, who said he has talked to Faneca recently. "Media, fans -- they don't understand the logistics that goes behind it. You have a small window to maximize the most money that you possibly can.

"There's no guaranteed contracts (in the NFL). Teams aren't obligated to uphold their end of the contracts. Players are going to do the same. That's just how the collective bargaining agreement is set up."

There has been talk that Faneca is also upset with the Steelers because they didn't hire Russ Grimm, his position coach, to succeed Bill Cowher as head coach. Ward, however, dismissed that as "speculation."

Tomlin and Faneca met Thursday, and that Tomlin knew before the start of minicamp that Faneca would not participate.

Tomlin isn't saying how much of a problem it would become if Faneca skipped the next minicamp.

"We're not going to have any preconceived notions about how that situation is going to develop," Tomlin said.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_504061.html

PalmerSteel
04-23-2007, 11:09 AM
faneca will play this year for sure. its his money year. he would lose A LOT of money next year if he sat out during the season but IMO he could definately be a distraction and we need to shop him BEFORE draft day and see what we could get because whoever we would trade him to would want to sign him to a long term contract before the deal would be valid i am guessing. no one would give up a good draft pick for a player for one year.

83-Steelers-43
04-23-2007, 11:11 AM
I don't think there is any doubt he will play. The question is will he be sporting a Steeler jersey?

pittsburghp8baller
04-23-2007, 11:33 AM
i think the steelers will draft a guard in the mid rounds and groom him under faneca then just let faneca walk at the end of the year

The Duke
04-23-2007, 03:00 PM
Good thing Tomlin will talk to Faneca. Hope he tells him to stop whining :flap:
But seriously maybe alan will realize Tomlin is a great coach.

83-Steelers-43
04-23-2007, 03:03 PM
Good thing Tomlin will talk to Faneca. Hope he tells him to stop whining :flap:
But seriously maybe alan will realize Tomlin is a great coach.

For starters, I don't think Tomlin is Faneca's problem, it's the almighty :dollar:. I think John Harris summed it up pretty well this morning in the Tribune-Review.....

New coach Mike Tomlin had better things to do than answer reporters' questions about Faneca's absence, but that's what happens when the Steelers' top offensive lineman misses a voluntary minicamp, and some people think it's because Tomlin got the job instead of former assistant coach Russ Grimm.

It isn't, of course.

With a brand-new, market-value contract in hand, Faneca would learn to love playing for Tomlin.

Second, isn't it sort of premature to call Tomlin a "great coach"? If you feel he is that's cool and I respect your opinion. I just think it's a little early.

Eitherway Duke, hopefully something get's worked out which will suit both parties. IMO, that will be a draft day trade.

Jeremy
04-23-2007, 03:06 PM
Alan Faneca is a 6 time Pro Bowler.

Mike Tomlin is a rookie head coach.

If Tomlin suggest that Faneca stop whining, I'd suggest Faneca knock him through the nearest wall.

polamalufan43
04-23-2007, 03:13 PM
Alan Faneca is a 6 time Pro Bowler.

Mike Tomlin is a rookie head coach.

If Tomlin suggest that Faneca stop whining, I'd suggest Faneca knock him through the nearest wall.

I have to disagree. Even though Faneca has more experience, only one of the two was considered a head coach. This is true for almost 1/4 of the team, considering that Tomlin is younger then some of the players.

Tomlin can suggest whatever he wants to within reason, and this is definately within reason.

coachspeak33
04-24-2007, 09:18 AM
i think the steelers will draft a guard in the mid rounds and groom him under faneca then just let faneca walk at the end of the year

I hope your wrong....that is the same bullcrap, old school mentality that got us in trouble last year...
you cant ask a guy to go and completely sell out for the franchise...ya know the same franchise that is gonna throw you away with this weeks garbage at seasons end....

in case you dont buy it...see Joey Porter and the entire steelers team success rate during his final season in BnG.

Players dont like playing for franchises tthat dont value them

coachspeak33
04-24-2007, 09:20 AM
I know it sounds crazy to those of us that live in the real world where 3.4 million dollars is a lot of money....but pro players want to feel the love on top of a fair market value contract.

They risk their bodies/health/future...Money is not all they seek