PDA

View Full Version : Ben a bit of a whiner?

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
04-20-2007, 11:46 PM
I think Ben still has some growing up to do. He's still in possession of the 24 year old brain. But hey whatever it takes.

http://postgazette.com/pg/07111/779926-66.stm

Steelers Notebook: Big Ben, Cowher had problems

Saturday, April 21, 2007
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Ben Roethlisberger blurted the worst-kept secret around the Steelers into the open yesterday: He and coach Bill Cowher did not quite see eye to eye.

"Our relationship wasn't great because he was here before I got here and I was just a young kid," Roethlisberger said yesterday.

The most glaring instance of the strain on that relationship came in 2005 when Cowher became aware that his young quarterback was riding a motorcycle without wearing a helmet. Cowher talked to him and advised him to be responsible and wear one. That same day, Roethlisberger told the media he would continue to ride without a helmet.

Other instances occurred when the coach sharply disagreed publicly with Roethlisberger that he had played the AFC championship game in his rookie season with broken toes. There were other disagreements over perceived injuries that caused frustration for Cowher.

Roethlisberger hopes to get off to a better start with new coach Mike Tomlin.

"Coach Tomlin and I are rookies together in a sense, so I think we will have a better relationship,'' Roethlisberger said.

Taylor back with first team

Cornerback Ike Taylor regained his spot on the first-team defense, at least for yesterday. He ended last season having lost his job and virtually in the coach's doghouse. He and veteran Deshea Townsend worked with the first unit.

"Right now, I am just happy to be back out there," Taylor said. "The offseason was fast. The season is approaching, We have a new head coach, new coaching staff. I am glad to be back playing football."

Not a center yet

Starting right guard Kendall Simmons does not see himself competing at center with newcomer Sean Mahan and seven-year veteran backup Chukky Okobi, no matter what his coaches said.

Simmons was at right guard and Okobi at center when the first unit took the field yesterday. Simmons will practice some at center, but does not expect it to be full time. Marvin Philip also made the roster last season as a rookie center.

"We have Chukky, Sean and Marvin here," Simmons said. "I want to be good enough at it and continue to get reps so if something happens I can do it."

Gardocki still here, but ...

Punter Chris Gardocki, still on the roster despite the team's attempts to replace him, attended minicamp. Gardocki, 37, has a $1 million salary due this year. The Steelers signed restricted free agent Andy Lee, but the 49ers kept their punter by matching the contract. Punter Mike Barr is on the preseason roster for the fourth consecutive year, and the Steelers have taken closer looks at a couple of college punting prospects.

New policy

Tomlin ended a long-standing Steelers tradition of open policy when he barred newspaper photographers from most of practice.

He will permit the still photographers to work the early part of practice when players basically run and stretch, but not when the team moves to group drills and practice.

Tomlin explained that he's trying to protect players while they compete for jobs.

"Sometimes, a picture's worth a thousand words, and some people are going to be in some compromising positions that maybe they don't want to see themselves in," Tomlin said.

So far so good

Tomlin's first two practices as Steelers coach were run crisply on a warm day, and he said he was happy with them.

"Just the overall atmosphere for what we're looking for, the tempo, the attention to detail. I wanted to hear the guys coach. I wanted to hear the guys talk to one another, teach one another. The overall camaraderie is what I was looking for. We got a lot of that today. It was a great, upbeat tempo, a positive attitude. It was a very positive day from that standpoint."

Galax Steeler
04-21-2007, 03:59 AM
I like the things I am hearing about tomlin I believe he will bring this team where it needs to be.I think ben will be fine he will get back in the groove.

Livinginthe past
04-21-2007, 05:43 AM
Alot of views, not many comments - 2 cents from a Patriots fan should rectify that :wink02:

I know we shouldn't read too much into what players say in articles - as demonstrated by James Harrison in the other thread.

But sometimes players really should toe the party line and keep the interviews as bland and uncontroversial as possible - team chemistry can be a brittle thing.

Regarding the actual comment, I find Ben's lack of humility regarding his relationship with a Pittsburgh legend slightly disturbing.

I also think he shouldn't be quite so open about boxing himself and Tomlin together under that 'rookies' umbrella - Tomlin is his boss and Ben sounds like he is over familiar with him.

Thats how I read it anyway, I still think Ben is a good QB but he needs to start thinking a little more before speaking to the press.

Atlanta Dan
04-21-2007, 05:46 AM
What's up with banning photographers from practice?

I guess Belichick paranoia/control games is the role model for young coaches.

As for Ben's comments, saying you did not get along with someone after they are gone is petty bull****. This kid still has some growing up to do.

Agree with LITP that calling your new boss a rookie may not be wise - if Ben thinks he is getting into a peer relationship rather than boss/coach relationship with Tomlin he is going to be in for a rude awakening.

LarryNJ
04-21-2007, 06:38 AM
I read the rookie comment as meaning they are both new to the team and starting out fresh. That's a much better attitude than some of the vets have about getting a new coach.

As for the Cowher comment, maybe he knew exactly what he wanted to say. Too many people think Cowher was a god and can't be replaced. Ben may simply be saying he can be replaced and the Steelers will be successful under their new coach.

83-Steelers-43
04-21-2007, 07:22 AM
LITP, Dan and Larry, you all have good points.

The quote below is taken from the other article pertaining to Ben, Cowher and Tomlin. My question. Did the reporter specifically ask about Cowher and Ben's relationship or was the reporter simply asking Ben about his relationship with Tomlin and Ben decided to go off on a Cowher rant? What I'm trying to figure out is why would Bill Cowher's name even came out of Ben's mouth at this point in time, let alone making it clear that the relationship between himself and Cowher "wasn't great"?

Roethlisberger and Tomlin have already started to form a bond and the fact that Tomlin is new is something the quarterback feels will benefit their relationship.

"It will definitely be different because Coach (Bill) Cowher was here before I got here," explained Roethlisberger. "Our relationship wasn't great because he was here before I got here and I was just a young kid. Coach Tomlin and I are rookies together in a sense so I think we will have a better relationship."

As for considering himself and Tomlin "rookies", I'm not looking too much into that comment. As LarryNJ already stated, I think it was more of a "we are starting off on a clean slate" type of comment more than anything else. Would I have made that analogy after receiving a new boss? Probably not, but I don't think Ben meant any disrespect towards Tomlin. It is better than what Faneca and Ward have stated since the Tomlin hire.

At the same time, I agree with AtlantaDan. Ben's comments did come off as "Coach Tomlin and I are going to be drinking buddies" to a degree. If Ben feels himself and Tomlin are going to be buddy/buddy after a horribly played game I believe he is strongly mistaken. Ben and the rest of the players on this roster have yet to see a pissed off Mike Tomlin.

Finally, do I feel Ben still has some growing up to do? I'm sure many will disagree, but between his Cowher comments, bike incident, injury dispute with Cowher, and his dispute with Whisenhunt over last season, I would say yes. Hopefully that occurs sooner rather than later. This may sound harsh to some and I'm sure some will disagree, but I feel he should keep his mouth shut pertaining to past coaches (much like Faneca) and focus on becoming a better QB. Just my opinion.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-21-2007, 07:25 AM
No I dont believe so.........He didnt bash cowher..........and more importantly.........HE NEVER COMPLAINED WHILE THE TWO WERE ON THE SAME TEAM.....Thats something thats some players need to learn.......(fenaca)

fansince'76
04-21-2007, 09:07 AM
Another fluff piece by Bouchette. Bradshaw had mentioned many times years after the fact that he and Noll were never the best of pals either. Does that make Bradshaw immature? HERE are some examples of immaturity - I won't mention any names, I'll just let you guess (but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out who I'm talking about): "Yeah, they won, but we're still the better team.", "WAAAHHH! I hate the Steelers!", and, in so many words, regarding the Pats playing in the AFCCG this past season: "See? You don't need talent to go to the SB, you just need guys that will play together as a team." Just another non-story.

Atlanta Dan
04-21-2007, 09:15 AM
Another fluff piece by Bouchette. Bradshaw had mentioned many times years after the fact that he and Noll were never the best of pals either. Does that make Bradshaw immature? HERE are some examples of immaturity - I won't mention any names, I'll just let you guess (but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out who I'm talking about): "Yeah, they won, but we're still the better team", "WAAAHHH! I hate the Steelers!", and, in so many words, regarding the Pats playing in the AFCCG this past season: "See? You don't need talent to go to the SB, you just need guys that will play together as a team." Just another non-story.

Calling out another team may not be mature but it is not as low as trashing your ex-coach. At least Faneca's discontent with Tomlin is something to which Tomlin could respond, if he elected to do, at their meeting the other night.

If a player has problems with someone say it to their face; Ben says he takes the blame for last season but he has liberally been sharing his disagreements with the ex-coaches since then. At best, he is sucking up to the new boss with those comments, but there is not much honorable in that either.

It is not that Ben had issues with his coaches but that he is not keeping those problems private that I see as a sign of continuing immaturity - not what you want in a (self-appointed) "team leader."

TackleMeBen
04-21-2007, 09:15 AM
I am amazed how quickly people rip into him about comments he makes. He was being honest, and yes maybe sometimes he should watch what he says, but then again if he always gave the PC answer I am sure he would be ripped for that too. Either way Ben will not win when he does a interview.

As for the rookie comment about Tomlin, I think he meant it as they are all on the same level so to speak. They(the players)have to get to know him and vice versa. So I really wouldnt read anything more into it.

fansince'76
04-21-2007, 09:19 AM
Calling out another team may not be mature but it is not as low as trashing your ex-coach. At least Faneca's discontent with Tomlin is something to which Tomlin could respond, if he elected to do, at their meeting the other night.

If a player has problems with someone say it to their face; Ben says he takes the blame for last season but he has liberally been sharing his disagreements with the ex-coaches since then. At best, he is sucking up to the new boss with those comments, but there is not much honorable in that either.

It is not that Ben had issues with his coaches but that he is not keeping those problems private that I see as a sign of continuing immaturity - not what you want in a (self-appointed) "team leader."

Hmmm, how about a Pro Bowl QB (who is older than Ben, by the way) that is also supposedly a "team leader" saying during the season that NINE arrests of teammates had no effect on the team's on-field performance, but then very publicly calls the entire team out AFTER the season is over? I've heard worse. But I will also agree that Ben still needs to grow up a bit.

83-Steelers-43
04-21-2007, 09:26 AM
I am amazed how quickly people rip into him about comments he makes.

Coming from our "team leader", it should be expected. The same occured when Faneca opened his mouth. Why should Ben be any different?

He was being honest

And how does that make it right exactly? Your calling out your ex-coach. What's the point? He did the same with Whiz after he was gone.

and yes maybe sometimes he should watch what he says

Now we are getting somewhere.

but then again if he always gave the PC answer I am sure he would be ripped for that too.

Not by this Steeler fan. "No comment" or "Next question" or "Coach Tomlin is our coach, not Bill Cowher" would have worked just fine for me.

Either way Ben will not win when he does a interview.

Refer to response directly above.

As for the rookie comment about Tomlin, I think he meant it as they are all on the same level so to speak.

Agree.

Stainless Steel
04-21-2007, 09:41 AM
Another fluff piece by Bouchette. ... Just another non-story.
Couldn't agree more.

Things are slow at this time of year. Waiting for the draft, FA is about over. He has to justify his job... write an article to fill up the sports section. People will read it because there's nothing else happening.

Football is my only sport. This time of year is so long to me. I hate it. At least we have good weather here in NW Ohio today. I'm OUTTA here for today.

Atlanta Dan
04-21-2007, 09:44 AM
Couldn't agree more.

Things are slow at this time of year. Waiting for the draft, FA is about over. He has to justify his job... write an article to fill up the sports section. People will read it because there's nothing else happening.

Football is my only sport. This time of year is so long to me. I hate it. At least we have good weather here in NW Ohio today. I'm OUTTA here for today.

I hear you - after the Super Bowl I usually follow NCAA basketball (although with Duke's rotten season that was not much this year), wait for the draft, and then training camp.
After next weekend it is wait until late July for me.

paw-n-maul-u
04-21-2007, 09:48 AM
I mean I can't really take the article seriously when the whole thing is based off of one quote .... from a DIFFERENT article he didn't even write.

Offseason zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

paw-n-maul-u
04-21-2007, 09:52 AM
by the way ... TackleMeBen ... I am digging your icon.

I go to VT and am home for the week trying to catch up on some R&R/get my mind back together. It's awesome to see everyone thinking about us, and u have no idea how much even something so small like that means to me as well as the rest of the VT Community. Hope you didn't lose anyone in the tragedy and take care.

GO STEELERS

83-Steelers-43
04-21-2007, 09:59 AM
For those interested, Trib article pertaining to the situation......

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_503876.html

The comment was unexpected if only because there were no public rifts between Cowher and Roethlisberger, even after the quarterback crashed his motorcycle last year not long after Cowher asked him to quit riding without a helmet.

Roethlisberger said new offensive coordinator Bruce Arians is throwing more at him than predecessor Ken Whisenhunt, now the Arizona coach. During the offseason, Roethlisberger said he sometimes disagreed with Whisenhunt, though he didn't disclose why.

polamalufan43
04-21-2007, 10:49 AM
I wouldn't consider Ben a whiner, I'd say he just told the turth, which I like that a whole lot better than trying to sugar-coat everything.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

fansince'76
04-21-2007, 10:53 AM
by the way ... TackleMeBen ... I am digging your icon.

I go to VT and am home for the week trying to catch up on some R&R/get my mind back together. It's awesome to see everyone thinking about us, and u have no idea how much even something so small like that means to me as well as the rest of the VT Community. Hope you didn't lose anyone in the tragedy and take care.

GO STEELERS

I hope you and yours are doing OK - God bless.

RoethlisBURGHer
04-21-2007, 10:58 AM
I wouldn't consider Ben a whiner, I'd say he just told the turth, which I like that a whole lot better than trying to sugar-coat everything.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

I agree.

If asked a question,he should be allowed to answer it.Maybe he was asked about his relationship with Cowher and then was asked what he hopes his relationship with Tomlin might be like.

We all know the media will take a quote and twist it into how they want it to look on paper.The worst part is this douchebag of a sports writer took a quote from an article he didn't even write and threw a whole new twist to it.

klick81
04-21-2007, 10:59 AM
Damn...Ben has some maturing to do. He's still young, so I'm hoping that'll come with time.

TackleMeBen
04-21-2007, 11:03 AM
I agree.

If asked a question,he should be allowed to answer it.Maybe he was asked about his relationship with Cowher and then was asked what he hopes his relationship with Tomlin might be like.

We all know the media will take a quote and twist it into how they want it to look on paper.The worst part is this douchebag of a sports writer took a quote from an article he didn't even write and threw a whole new twist to it.

I couldnt agree more. :tt02:

siss
04-21-2007, 12:02 PM
Most of the time I think the media makes soething out ofnothing. However in this case I htink Ben gave them the story.

steelafan
04-21-2007, 12:02 PM

Why is it that people don't realize this when a quote is attributed to other players? Like Faneca?

Faneca gets ripped to shreds for the couple of comments me makes (or doesn't really make) in nine (9) years of playing.

Rumors get WAAAYYY out of hand - like that childhood game of whispering something in one person's ear and they whisper it in someone else's ear, and so on. By the end of the game, the statement is nothing like what it started out as.

There are some players in the NFL that are obviously way out of line with their mouths - but none of those players are on the Steelers. We should probably think twice (or more)before believing the rumors and supposed quotes that we hear. I'm sure the reporters don't get it right all the time, and I'd be willing to bet they get it wrong MUCH more often than we think.

83-Steelers-43
04-21-2007, 12:31 PM
*Whistles X-Files song*

siss
04-21-2007, 12:46 PM
Well here is the transript of his interview. So yoube the judge.

How do you feel?

Good. It's good to be back out there. Some new things, new faces all around. It was good to get back out on the field.

Is the offense noticeably different?

It's a little different with some of the calls. I almost feel like I am a rookie again with a little more knowledge than I had the first time around. All of us, all of the quarterbacks, are working together at this point, talking and asking each other what we see and if we did anything right or wrong.

Do you feel you've become one of the leaders?

On the field he is putting more control in my hands, making the calls and making sure I make the change myself. In that aspect, yeah. Like I say every year, I am not going to step on anybody's toes. Alan Faneca and Hines Ward are our captains on offense and they are still our leaders. I am just assuming the role with them.

Will more responsibility in your hands be a big difference?

It makes it tougher right now. Initially it makes it a lot harder because there are a lot more things. You break the huddle and you forget what you called it on. You forget what the protections are. Right now it's tough, but once we get the hang of it, it will make it a lot easier and better.

Do you like to have that on your shoulders?

It makes it easier because there won't be as much complications. There still will be complications. I'm still going to screw up. We're not going to be 100 percent clicking on every single play, but hopefully we can on most plays.

How's Mike Tomlin?

He's a great guy. He didn't try to do too much, which was one of the questions: Is he going to come in and yell and scream at everybody, what is he going to do? He came in and was as calm, cool and collected as he seems.

With a new coach, is minicamp more important?

It's important because we want to improve. We want to do good for him. We want to do good for all of the players, coaches and the fans. It's important we come out and play better and it starts now.

What's going on with Alan Faneca?

Alan is going through a lot right now. He has every right. He is a leader and probably the best guard in this game. I talked to everybody and told them if Alan doesn't want to be here, he doesn't have to be here. He is the best. I am not going to hold any grudge against him. When he comes, he is going to continue and fit right back into the slot of being the best guard in this game.

Will he block for you this season?

I hope so.

With the loss of Joey Porter on the heels of losing Jerome Bettis, does this put a bigger burden on you?

It makes it quieter. We miss all of those guys, whatever reason they left, we always miss those guys. You can never replace them. Everybody just fits into their relationship as it fits.

How about your relationship with Tomlin compared to Bill Cowher?

It will definitely be different because Coach Cowher was here before I got here. Our relationship wasn't great because he was here before I got here and I was just a young kid. Coach Tomlin and I are rookies together in a sense so I think we will have a better relationship.

What about working under Bruce Arians?

Just the philosophy he brings to the offense, the schemes. He did a lot of our passing game last year as a wide receivers coach and now he is in charge of it. I think right now, after half a day of practice, it seems like it is going to work good.

Do you assume you'll pass more often?

I am not going to assume anything now.

What can you tell us about Kenny Anderson?

As a quarterback coach you are a buffer between the coordinator and the quarterback. I am going to miss Mark Whipple. I thought he did a great job here. Coach Anderson will do a great job.

steel#1
04-21-2007, 12:55 PM
All Ben basically said was that they didn't always get along. No Kidding--I doubt very much if everyone always agrees with their boss. There's one problem in Pittsburgh that I have always seen and it's Cowher worship. A person is scum if they even say one thing that is perceived as negative about Cowher. Cowher was a good coach--not a god, and not perfect. People on the outside can only speculate about the locker room dynamics. Cowher had a great winning record and we know we always stood a chance with him. However we have watched him as a coach for 15 years, Ben had him as a coach for 3. Everyone has commented about Cowher's last year--Why shouldn't Ben. He left everybody hanging last year about his intentions, including the team. He supposedly will return in a year or two, with another team, for more money. Everyone needs to take off their rose-colored glasses and realize this is first and foremost a business. High profits and even higher egos. People also need to realize that in 15 years Cowher also won only one Superbowl, with any other organization would he have been given 15 years to win that one. People needs to get off Ben's case for being posative about Tomlin as the new coach and looking ahead with forecasts of success, maybe he's just trying to get the rest of the team psyched up about the new coach rather than depressed and negative about all of the changes. Go Steelers--Get your heads on straight and move on ahead.

Stlrs4Life
04-21-2007, 04:22 PM
I don't think Ben is whining, it isn't new that at times Cowher and him didn't get along.

DACEB
04-21-2007, 05:38 PM
First off, I have to agree with 83-Steelers-43 that Ben should choose his words more wisely. That said I can't see for the life of me how any of this is considered whining?!?

This is a non issue and I can't believe this thread got this large, put it to rest move on!!

RoethlisBURGHer
04-21-2007, 06:26 PM
After reading the transcript,he was asked about his relationship with Cowher...he didn't just step up to a podium and announce it to everyone.

LarryNJ
04-21-2007, 08:04 PM
How about your relationship with Tomlin compared to Bill Cowher?

It will definitely be different because Coach Cowher was here before I got here. Our relationship wasn't great because he was here before I got here and I was just a young kid. Coach Tomlin and I are rookies together in a sense so I think we will have a better relationship.

It's a non issue

Do you assume you'll pass more often?

I am not going to assume anything now.

Good answer

What can you tell us about Kenny Anderson?

As a quarterback coach you are a buffer between the coordinator and the quarterback. I am going to miss Mark Whipple. I thought he did a great job here. Coach Anderson played for the Bengals and I hate the Bengals and Coach Anderson can kiss my butt.

At least Ben is honest! :smile:

GBMelBlount
04-21-2007, 08:26 PM
Ben is pompous arrogant & conceited......and a great QB. Glad we have him. I think Cowher could have reamed him about Moto & terrible play but he didn't. Cowher even gave Ben the chance to come back & play too early which was probably a mistake. But Cowher never said anything publicly about Ben's stupidity or reamed him about his bad play. It's too bad Ben didn't reciprocate. In that sense, Cowher, though I didn't like his coaching last year, took the high road.

83-Steelers-43
04-21-2007, 08:30 PM
But Cowher never said anything publicly about Ben's stupidity or reamed him about his bad play. It's too bad Ben didn't reciprocate. In that sense, Cowher, though I didn't like his coaching last year, took the high road.

Stop making sense. Like Ben is God and is the only player on this team who is untouched. Like, I actually have pictures of him in a swimming pool (wearing speedo of course) and like riding his bike pasted all over my wall surrounded by like candles.

Once again, in the words of Paris Hilton................."That's hot".

Like, it's the media's fault I tell you. Like, they are the one's who make athletes make idiotic comments!!!! Like, damn you Ed Bouchette!!! Like, burn in hell!!!!

GBMelBlount
04-21-2007, 08:40 PM
...and on the 8th day...G_D created.......

Atlanta Dan
04-23-2007, 07:26 AM
I do not think Cowher is infallible, but Peter King pretty much sums up my view on Ben's statement, which obviously caught the attention of the national media:

What an odd, odd thing to say. May I remind you, young Ben, that Bill Cowher put you in the starting lineup early in your rookie year, kept you there when you struggled mightily in the playoffs and was a very big reason why you have that gigantic ring on your right hand. Sheesh.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/04/22/mmqb/3.html

moedap
04-23-2007, 08:25 AM
I think Big Ben's comments about he and Bill not seeing eye to eye was very revealing about Cowhers manic coaching style. I was one of those fans who was screaming for a new coach after all of those AFCC losses. My arguments would range from 1. "Bill Cowher is a disciple of Marty Schottenheimer. He doesnt know how to win the big one" 2. "Bill Cowher is lousy at making adjustments after the half." I gave him a reprieve because of the Super Bowl win but that was only euphoria clouding my initial and true feelings. Dont get me wrong I think B. C. is a good coach(just like Marty) but I truly think our Steelers won the SB b/c Big Ben was the QB. The players just seem too uptight in the playoffs under his helm. Big Bens performance in the playoffs is what loosened them up. I think Bill Cowher didnt get the money he wanted b/c the front office chose Big Ben. Think about it had we not won the S.B. or even worse not made it people would have been calling for Bill Cowhers job.

This reminds me of the Paul Westhead and Magic Johnson saga the year after the Lakers won the championship in Magics rookie season. He wanted the coach gone b/c he felt the coach was to tight. The fans were shocked he would want the coach gone after winning a championship but the coach was let go and Pat Riley comes in and wins 4 more.

fansince'76
04-23-2007, 09:05 AM
Merged "Ex Coach Cowher and Big Ben" thread with "Ben a bit of a whiner?" thread.

Counselor
04-23-2007, 09:41 AM
In reading the whole transcript, I thought Ben actually did a pretty good job in being PC and watching what he said. What does he care what Cowher thinks of him now? Cowher is gone. Hines Ward said he didn't get along with Cowher in the si article when Cowher was still the coach.

fansince'76
04-23-2007, 09:41 AM
I think Big Ben's comments about he and Bill not seeing eye to eye was very revealing about Cowhers manic coaching style. I was one of those fans who was screaming for a new coach after all of those AFCC losses. My arguments would range from 1. "Bill Cowher is a disciple of Marty Schottenheimer. He doesnt know how to win the big one" 2. "Bill Cowher is lousy at making adjustments after the half." I gave him a reprieve because of the Super Bowl win but that was only euphoria clouding my initial and true feelings. Dont get me wrong I think B. C. is a good coach(just like Marty) but I truly think our Steelers won the SB b/c Big Ben was the QB. The players just seem too uptight in the playoffs under his helm. Big Bens performance in the playoffs is what loosened them up. I think Bill Cowher didnt get the money he wanted b/c the front office chose Big Ben. Think about it had we not won the S.B. or even worse not made it people would have been calling for Bill Cowhers job.

This reminds me of the Paul Westhead and Magic Johnson saga the year after the Lakers won the championship in Magics rookie season. He wanted the coach gone b/c he felt the coach was to tight. The fans were shocked he would want the coach gone after winning a championship but the coach was let go and Pat Riley comes in and wins 4 more.

I wonder how many rings Belichick would have right now without Brady? I would venture to bet zero. And the Westhead example is a bad one - the NBA is a players league and has been for years - in the NFL, thankfully, the HC is still the boss.

moedap
04-23-2007, 10:02 AM
I wonder how many rings Belichick would have right now without Brady? I would venture to bet zero. And the Westhead example is a bad one - the NBA is a players league and has been for years - in the NFL, thankfully, the HC is still the boss.

You totally refute your second point by your first point. If the HC is the boss and the determining factor of winning championships then Cower would have 5 rings. The HC is the boss which is why the Steelers lost all of those AFCC's and the 95 SB. My point is the SB XL win was in spite of the HC and b/c of the player BB. Hence BC is gone.

fansince'76
04-23-2007, 10:08 AM
You totally refute your second point by your first point. If the HC is the boss and the determining factor of winning championships then Cower would have 5 rings. The HC is the boss which is why the Steelers lost all of those AFCC's and the 95 SB. My point is the SB XL win was in spite of the HC and b/c of the player BB. Hence BC is gone.

No, they lost all those AFCCGs and SB XXX primarily because of subpar QB play. And in this case an NFL HC is the boss insofar that if a star player bitches to the FO about him, it is generally the player that gets sent packing, not the HC - completely opposite of the NBA.

SteelerFanInCA
04-23-2007, 10:40 AM
I believe this whole story is being blown out of proportion. So Ben spoke his mind. It will probably not be the last time he does that.

I'd be more concerned with him cutting down on the Int's than what comes out of his mouth at this point in the game. I totally attribute this to the off season and nothing else to write about.

vasteeler
04-23-2007, 10:46 AM
:smash: :sign02: :sign04: :chillpill :coffee: :snail:

DACEB
04-23-2007, 11:50 AM
I do not think Cowher is infallible, but Peter King pretty much sums up my view on Ben's statement, which obviously caught the attention of the national media:

What an odd, odd thing to say. May I remind you, young Ben, that Bill Cowher put you in the starting lineup early in your rookie year, kept you there when you struggled mightily in the playoffs and was a very big reason why you have that gigantic ring on your right hand. Sheesh.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/04/22/mmqb/3.html

This whole thread is so rediculous, but again I can't resist when I read something so rediculous. I do not mean that against you Atlanta Dan, I mean Peter King who I actually respect.

"May I remind you, young Ben, that Bill Cowher put you in the starting lineup early in your rookie year" Cowher put Ben in the line-up because Maddux was hurt. How do we know if that was Cowhers decision solely? Ben was a #1 pick afterall, that decision could have been made in conjunction with the FO. Who knows maybe Cowher wanted Batch to start? In the end it was Ben's play that kept him there.

"(Cowher)kept you there when you struggled mightily in the playoffs" I don't know how much more you expect from a rookie, besides he played pretty good in his 2nd year in the playoffs (damn good).

"(Cowher)was a very big reason why you have that gigantic ring on your right hand." I'll say the other 42 guys had more to do with it than Cowher.

I find it funny that Cowher and Marty are both going to be commentating this year, coincidence? I'll bet that the Steelers win another superbowl before either Cowher or Marty!

O.K. I agree and have already stated that Ben should watch what he says, but please let it go.

Elvis
04-25-2007, 06:27 PM
:jawdrop: I guess either I am blind or just plain out dum... but I never seen that statement coming from Ben ... suprised me. I always remember Ben and Cowher looking like they were having a good time most of the times. I just hate to hear that kind of comment about Cowher who I have the upmost respect for. Just sounds like Ben needs to concentrate on getting better at readin' defense's and schemes...:wink02:

rbryan
04-25-2007, 09:57 PM
I agree.

This is why I can't watch Espn, Nfl network etc... It's like watching E news entertaiment All about the hype. Made up new is always better than no news.