PDA

View Full Version : Steelers miss Porter's swagger

Livinginthe past
04-21-2007, 12:14 PM
Steelers miss Porter's swagger
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, April 21, 2007

A corner of the Steelers' locker room at the team's South Side practice facility -- heck, the entire locker room -- seemed quieter than usual Friday.

And the players that are now Joey Porter's former teammates couldn't help but notice.

"It's going to be a big difference with Joey not being here because he kind of keeps the whole team and locker room going because of his personality and who he is," guard Kendall Simmons said during the first day of minicamp.

The Steelers released Porter at the beginning of March because of financial considerations. Porter, who is fourth on the Steelers' all-time sacks list, quickly signed with the Miami Dolphins.

"He's probably sipping mai tais and looking at palm trees right now," Steelers linebacker James Farrior said.

Porter will be looking across the field at his former teammates Nov. 26, as the Dolphins visit the Steelers at Heinz Field.

That game, wide receiver Hines Ward said, is one he already has circled on his calendar.

"I want to see if he's really going to trash talk us," Ward said. "You can't trash talk your boys, Joey. That's going to be an exciting game for both of us."

Ward also will have some mixed feelings. He was one of the veterans that wasn't happy when the Steelers released Porter.

"He's a locker room favorite around here," Ward said. "I was more sad just losing him because there's a lot of great football left in Joey."

Ward was reminiscent yesterday when talking about Porter, though the latter's career with the Steelers only has been in the past tense for roughly six weeks.

"We're always talking about stories, plays Joey made, and stupid comments he made in the media," Ward said.

Looks like this story has yet more mileage, Hines again is the first call for media looking for an opinion on players who have left the franchise.

Interesting use of the present tense when referring to him being a 'lockerroom favorite' still.

Wonder if Hines will get the opportunity to lay any huge hits on JP.

fansince'76
04-21-2007, 12:16 PM
Kinda funny how the Steelers could miss something when they haven't even played in so much as a scrimmage without it yet....

klick81
04-21-2007, 12:17 PM
Yeah I noticed the use of present tense too. It's hard to say good-bye!

83-Steelers-43
04-21-2007, 12:25 PM
And once again, players come and go on all teams and in every sport. He's gone, get over it.

Here.....

http://www.shellen.com/uploaded_images/tissue-box-738715.jpg

tony hipchest
04-21-2007, 12:28 PM
these exact same comments were made about chris hope and jerome bettis last year. chris hope was regarded as the funniest player in the locker room and his team mates loved him like a brother. we didnt have articles written about this because the media was too busy asking about the big name jerome bettis.

the same comments would be made about jeff hartings if the media would even bother to ask his teammates about his departure. but hartings isnt a big name thats gonna provide a flashy story, but he too, will be missed.

the steelers are like a family. i dont think thats any secret.

HometownGal
04-21-2007, 03:02 PM
the steelers are like a family. i dont think thats any secret.

Yes they most definitely are, Tony. He's gone, they'll move on, but he won't be forgotten among those who lined up beside him both on the field and in the locker room.

verks36
04-21-2007, 04:27 PM
In football when u put everything on the line week 2 week. U get pretty close to the guys u play with. We just need another leader to step up and take his place which eventually will happen

Jeremy
04-21-2007, 05:11 PM
Players leave. That's the nature of the game and Pittsburgh has been doing it as well as anyone and for a lot longer than anyone else. Go ahead and name me three Steelers who have done as well or better with their new teams as they did with Pittsburgh.

I'll go get some supper and some back and see if anyone came up with anything.

Stlrs4Life
04-21-2007, 05:19 PM
Hines and Faneca need to get over it.

Livinginthe past
04-21-2007, 06:03 PM
Players leave. That's the nature of the game and Pittsburgh has been doing it as well as anyone and for a lot longer than anyone else. Go ahead and name me three Steelers who have done as well or better with their new teams as they did with Pittsburgh.

I'll go get some supper and some back and see if anyone came up with anything.

I got two.

Rod Woodson and Mike Vrabel - maybe a Steeler fan can supply a 3rd.

DACEB
04-21-2007, 06:23 PM
I can only hope that whoever fills Porters shoes plays at a higher level. Then and only then will we hear the end of Porter.

And believe me if that happens NOONE will even have the slightest recollection of Porter. Long before Anthony Smith leveled Houshyomama we had all forgotten about Hope just with the potential the kid showed.

Porter, even Faneca will be forgotten as soon as a replacement comes in and we WIN. Then all will be forgotten and forgiven. Players come and go, it's the nature of the business. The system is set up so no team can have all pros at every position, that creates parity and exciting games.

The Steelers have a great tradition, a tradition of winning and winning is the best form of amnesia.

83-Steelers-43
04-21-2007, 09:42 PM
Maybe Tomlin can make a recording (in order to please the disgruntled) of Joey Porter's past pre and post game rants? Maybe keep an open locker with his jersey and cleats? Kind of like the Great Hall inside Heinz? Pieces of the dead horse that Joey's dogs chewed up? One of William Green's front teeth?

Just a few suggestions, that's all. Anything to get us past this "phase".

GBMelBlount
04-21-2007, 09:52 PM
In football when u put everything on the line week 2 week. U get pretty close to the guys u play with. We just need another leader to step up and take his place which eventually will happen

Nailed it V36. Good post LITP:tt02: Oh sorry LITP didn't mean to offend (joke)

tony hipchest
04-21-2007, 09:58 PM
Maybe Tomlin can make a recording (in order to please the disgruntled) of Joey Porter's past pre and post game rants? Maybe keep an open locker with his jersey and cleats? Kind of like the Great Hall inside Heinz? Pieces of the dead horse that Joey's dogs chewed up? One of William Green's front teeth?

Just a few suggestions, that's all. Anything to get us past this "phase".if that dont work, i guess lining the tunnel with poster sized covers of SI, with porter as the "most feared man" will have to do.

maybe some of those who havent been bitching (starks, hampton, batch) can share some of their campbells soup with those who have:

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/stfu2.jpg

of course tomlin can have najeh go crap in their locker to send a message to the malcontents.

83-Steelers-43
04-21-2007, 10:02 PM
of course tomlin can have najeh go crap in their locker to send a message to the malcontents.

I agree. That should be the last course of action. Give Najeh some Taco Bell for three straight nights before Tomlin makes his point.

Then, he shall let loose the Miami Unapooper.

I'm still waiting for Najeh to drop one in Big Snack's locker just for entertainment purposes. Tell me you wouldn't pay to see that confrontation?

rbryan
04-21-2007, 10:13 PM
I got two.

Rod Woodson and Mike Vrabel - maybe a Steeler fan can supply a 3rd.

Are you really that interested in what is discussed here? You actually took the time to set up a profile with your Patsie logo and suck up to the Royal Krafts on our website? I don't have time to come on my board let alone the other 26 teams I can't stand.

BTW, not only can I not give you a third, but I have to take away Woodson, although he played well, he never matched his level of play while here.

tony hipchest
04-21-2007, 10:14 PM
I agree. That should be the last course of action. :sofunny: Give Najeh some Taco Bell for three straight nights before Tomlin makes his point.

Then, he shall let loose the Miami Unapooper. :sofunny:

I'm still waiting for Najeh to drop one in Big Snack's locker just for entertainment purposes. Tell me you wouldn't pay to see that confrontation?:toofunny: yes i would

GBMelBlount
04-21-2007, 10:24 PM
Are you really that interested in what is discussed here? You actually took the time to set up a profile with your Patsie logo and suck up to the Royal Krafts on our website? I don't have time to come on my board let alone the other 26 teams I can't stand.

BTW, not only can I not give you a third, but I have to take away Woodson, although he played well, he never matched his level of play while here.

rbryan. I am a die hard steelers fan. I don't think there is anything wrong with a knowldegeable, RESPECTFUL poster from another team. There are alot of jerks who post here from Cincy, Cleveland. Do I hope we kick the crap out out the PAT's this year.... yes! But please go easy on LITP. He is Honest, sincere, knowledgeable, respectful AND likes the content & posts on our sights. :cheers:

Oh, & he assured me when he gave me that he wasn't a spy. :tt02:

fansince'76
04-21-2007, 10:28 PM

Yeah, he only made the Pro Bowl 4 more times after leaving at an age when most DBs are already out of football because they can't hang anymore.

rbryan
04-21-2007, 10:29 PM
How many did he make here since you know all the stats?

fansince'76
04-21-2007, 10:31 PM
He made 11 total - I'll leave the math to you. Fact is he was allowed to leave in the 1st place because he was thought to be "washed up," when that simply was not the case.

rbryan
04-21-2007, 10:32 PM
Let me help you out. 7 as a Steeler.

fansince'76
04-21-2007, 10:33 PM
Yeah, big help there.

rbryan
04-21-2007, 10:34 PM
Steelers offered him more $ than he got when he left. He made a rash decision. One that he still regrets. Lets see what team he claims come time for Canton

tony hipchest
04-21-2007, 10:36 PM
the steelers not resigning kevin green didnt hurt him any. i think he had 55 sacks in his remaining 4 years, leading the league in one of those.

rbryan
04-21-2007, 10:37 PM
Yeah, big help there.

You're the one who thought his 4 after he left proved him a better player than while he was with Pittsburgh

fansince'76
04-21-2007, 10:37 PM
Steelers offered him more $ than he got when he left. He made a rash decision. One that he still regrets. Lets see what team he claims come time for Canton

He got a ring in Baltimore which he didn't get here, thanks mostly to subpar QB play at the worst times ('94 AFCCG, SB XXX). It will be interesting to see what team's colors he goes in under, though - I'll be mad if they aren't black and gold.

83-Steelers-43
04-21-2007, 10:38 PM
He made 11 total - I'll leave the math to you. Fact is he was allowed to leave in the 1st place because he was thought to be "washed up," when that simply was not the case.

Agree completely. Rod Woodson is the only Steeler who I felt the Steelers let go of early. So he made it to seven pro bowls with the Steelers. The fact that he made it to four more after he left this team proves LITP's and fansince'76 point and my opinion that he was let loose earlier than "expected". The guy still had a good amount of gas in the tank. After seeing the likes of Chad "Toast" Scott and Dwayne Washington, I wouldn't have minded having him around.

As for Vrabel, I could be wrong and it could be disputed, but I don't consider him that big of a loss. We were already good at the LB position.

tony hipchest
04-21-2007, 10:42 PM
j. unitas did pretty well after getting cut.

83-Steelers-43
04-21-2007, 10:43 PM

Wow, can't believe I passed up that one. Good call.

tony hipchest
04-21-2007, 10:43 PM
gary anderson went on to be the leagues leading point scorer years after he left the steelers.

83-Steelers-43
04-21-2007, 10:46 PM
Len Dawson....Dave Brown.

fansince'76
04-21-2007, 10:48 PM

Not to mention Len Dawson.

Edit - ah, 83 beat me to it.

tony hipchest
04-21-2007, 10:50 PM
hardy nickerson went on to do real well.

bobby shaw went on to suck.

thomas everett and dj johnson didnt do much worse going to the cowboys and falcons(?)

jim miller had his best year as a non steeler, as did bentson buckner.

rbryan
04-21-2007, 10:52 PM
Bottom Line is this, All teams lose players every year. I loved JP, Rod, and down the line. Do you really think JP is worth the $ he got in Miami? I miss my girlfriend from the 9th grade, but that turned out a good move now too in hindsight.

fansince'76
04-21-2007, 10:55 PM
Bottom Line is this, All teams lose players every year. I loved JP, Rod, and down the line. Do you really think JP is worth the $ he got in Miami?

Personally, no. And considering how many big name players we lost after the onset of Plan B and the salary cap, I would say overall the FO has done a great job of evaluating when it was time to part ways with players.

83-Steelers-43
04-21-2007, 11:00 PM
Bottom Line is this, All teams lose players every year. I loved JP, Rod, and down the line. Do you really think JP is worth the $ he got in Miami? I miss my girlfriend from the 9th grade, but that turned out a good move now too in hindsight.

Apples and oranges. LITP brought up two players who went on to become good/great players in this league. He named Rod Woodson. Can you really deny the fact that he went on to further success in this league after he left the Steelers?

As fansince'76 already stated, we (Steelers FO) thought he was done and he ended up ringing off four more PB's. Call me crazy, but wouldn't that be considered further success after leaving our organization?

GBMelBlount
04-21-2007, 11:04 PM

Agreed. I am so glad you got rid of her!

83-Steelers-43
04-21-2007, 11:05 PM
rybryan, I disagree with you but it was a good conversation. I'm out for the night. Take care. For the record, I have the horses head in my bed. Joey gave it to me before he left.

AHHHH.....AH....AH....AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Livinginthe past
04-21-2007, 11:11 PM
I miss my girlfriend from the 9th grade, but that turned out a good move now too in hindsight.

I've dated older women on occasion too - don't let this episode put you off the whole experience.

GBMelBlount
04-21-2007, 11:18 PM
I've dated older women on occasion too - don't let this episode put you off the whole experience.

Bwaaaahaaaaahaaaa!

Welcome to the sight RBRyan!!!!!!!! :cheers:

Steeldude
04-22-2007, 02:31 AM
if this team misses porter's swagger then they are in really bad shape. they could always hire a foul-mouthed clown to run around during pre-game warmups.

rbryan
04-22-2007, 11:11 AM

That was a pretty good one. Funny thing is she was an older woman at the time. But at 47 I can't get too excited at the prospect of dating older women anymore. LOL

BTW tell everyone in Patsie land I said hello. You're OK in my book, I don't care what anyone else says.

Livinginthe past
04-22-2007, 11:35 AM
That was a pretty good one. Funny thing is she was an older woman at the time. But at 47 I can't get too excited at the prospect of dating older women anymore. LOL

BTW tell everyone in Patsie land I said hello. You're OK in my book, I don't care what anyone else says.

Thanks man - we all think of it as Patriot Nation (The raiders and the Steelers then copied this) - Patsie Land sounds a little too much like a place where Tinky-Winky and La-La might live :wink02:

tony hipchest
04-22-2007, 01:12 PM
if this team misses porter's swagger then they are in really bad shape. they could always hire a foul-mouthed clown to run around during pre-game warmups.i guess theyre in really bad shape then :rolleyes:

"There's still a lot of great football left in Joey," Ward said. "He's still a great player. He helped raise our defense to the level they needed to be. That's what great leaders do. It's hard to replace a guy like Joey Porter ? not only losing coach (Bill) Cowher, but a leader like Joey Porter."

-hines ward

MJ5150
04-23-2007, 02:27 PM
Ah what the heck. These guys are all sad a good buddy is gone. I'd feel the same way.

Maybe this season will be marked by a quiet and confident leader who says the right things at the right time. I'm all for that!

-Mike

polamalufan43
04-23-2007, 04:24 PM
If I were in there shoes I'd be dissapointed, but then go back to everyday steeler football. I'm sure there is going to be some form of a void, but they can't let that be a distraction.

Mourning Period: day he was let go-training camp
*Additional 5 minutes periods (one per six hrs) shall be granted if someone says something that reminds you of him

No mourning is aloud after this time especially on gameday. If we are facing him on gameday, by all means quit the mourning and knock him flat on his:flap:
Remember, we still love him, except on gameday...
I have spoken:flap:

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

Steeldude
04-24-2007, 06:09 AM
"There's still a lot of great football left in Joey," Ward said. "He's still a great player. He helped raise our defense to the level they needed to be. That's what great leaders do. It's hard to replace a guy like Joey Porter ? not only losing coach (Bill) Cowher, but a leader like Joey Porter."

once again another player who has no idea what a leader is or does. during porter's rants does he inform his players of their responsibilites? does he offer advice? no to both questions.

now he may get them pumped up with his lame antics, but that's not leading. but you have to ask yourself if they are pumped and focused or just pumped. porter merely screams "who ride, we ride" and players/fans think that is leading. that is what i call cheerleading. bickering with the opposition during pre-game and then disappearing during the game is not leading. IMO, ward is confused between friendship and leading. i am sure another player can assume the role of bigmouth if it is that necessary. personally, i would rather have someone who leads by example.

porter was nothing more than a mouth who barely contributed to making or stopping plays on the field. of course i am referring to his last 2 or 3 season with the steelers.

coachspeak33
04-24-2007, 09:31 AM
once again another player who has no idea what a leader is or does. during porter's rants does he inform his players of their responsibilites? does he offer advice? no to both questions.

now he may get them pumped up with his lame antics, but that's not leading. but you have to ask yourself if they are pumped and focused or just pumped. porter merely screams "who ride, we ride" and players/fans think that is leading. that is what i call cheerleading. bickering with the opposition during pre-game and then disappearing during the game is not leading. IMO, ward is confused between friendship and leading. i am sure another player can assume the role of bigmouth if it is that necessary. personally, i would rather have someone who leads by example.

porter was nothing more than a mouth who barely contributed to making or stopping plays on the field. of course i am referring to his last 2 or 3 season with the steelers.

Hmmm...In Joey's last two seasons he was stout versus the run....
made a trip to Honalulu...
Led the team with close to 20 sacks....
served as a captain for a top 5 defense...
won a SB...
personally mind****d Jeremy Stevens during SB week which in many ways directly led to said SB win....
was so durable and reliable that even gunshot wounds could only keep him outta the lineup for a week or two...
developed his abilities from the humble beginnings of a late round selection....
gladly accepted his leadership role (unlike many of our current steelers)....
was underpaid for 80% of his NFL career and didnt say boo about it until he LED us to first SB win in more than two decades...
watch the 2005 season DVD w/ sideline stuff-he is the leader of that defense...PERIOD
And if you dont wanna take it from me- look at the words from the players on the team

All that being said...hes not worth 32 million dollars at this stage of his career.
But dont treat the guy like a jerk cause Miami overpaid.

Hey Steeldude...GET A CLUE

did you get that....GET A CLUE

SteelerMurf
04-24-2007, 12:30 PM
Steelers missed Lloyd's swagger, Woodson's, Lakes', Bettis, the list goes on and on and on of all Pros who left towards the end of their career.....football goes on, I just don't know why this team and media is so darn reflective and sad about losing Porter. His play over the last couple years doesn't not justify this reaction. His run in the playoffs in 2005 was great. But does anyone realize all these highlights of Porter came when he was unblocked?

Did anyone notice all of Porter's stats were clumped into the worst opponents on the schedule last year in Tampa, Oakland, Miami and Cleveland. In fact I don't think he had a sack outside of those games last year.

coachspeak33
04-24-2007, 01:36 PM
Steelers missed Lloyd's swagger, Woodson's, Lakes', Bettis, the list goes on and on and on of all Pros who left towards the end of their career.....football goes on, I just don't know why this team and media is so darn reflective and sad about losing Porter. His play over the last couple years doesn't not justify this reaction. His run in the playoffs in 2005 was great. But does anyone realize all these highlights of Porter came when he was unblocked?

Did anyone notice all of Porter's stats were clumped into the worst opponents on the schedule last year in Tampa, Oakland, Miami and Cleveland. In fact I don't think he had a sack outside of those games last year.

Which is exactly why you dont pay him 32 million.....However, we still arent better without him as some might attempt to suggest

MasterOfPuppets
04-24-2007, 03:05 PM
Which is exactly why you dont pay him 32 million.....However, we still arent better without him as some might attempt to suggest
well shouldn't we wait to see how harrison performs before we form the with/without opinions?

coachspeak33
04-24-2007, 11:04 PM
well shouldn't we wait to see how harrison performs before we form the with/without opinions?

seriously????

again, I dont think the steelers will regret not signing Porter to a 30 million dollar contract...however, porter vs. a career special teamer is not even a contest

coachspeak33
04-24-2007, 11:41 PM
Silverback has a lot of work to do to catch up with Peezy....being remembered as the guy who slams drunk brownie fans aint enough

Steel Pit
04-25-2007, 06:23 AM
Silverback has a lot of work to do to catch up with Peezy....being remembered as the guy who slams drunk brownie fans aint enough

I've watched him do just a few more things other than slamming the Browns fan. I mean Harrison rarely played and my favorite "highlight photo" from this decade shows Harrison high in the air, ball in hand, leaping a would be San Diego Chargers tackler. Might I add that this leap occurred during his return of an intercepted pass.

Sure he's got some work to do if he want's to catch up to Porter A FEW YEARS AGO. He's sure as heck not going to have to do anything special to duplicate Porter's performance of last season. The bottom line is, "At least he's FINALLY being given the oportunity."
No worries from me, he'll do just fine.

tony hipchest
04-25-2007, 11:54 AM
I've watched him do just a few more things other than slamming the Browns fan. I mean Harrison rarely played and my favorite "highlight photo" from this decade shows Harrison high in the air, ball in hand, leaping a would be San Diego Chargers tackler. Might I add that this leap occurred during his return of an intercepted pass.

He's sure as heck not going to have to do anything special to duplicate Porter's performance of last season. .except actually take that highlight interception to the house and rack up about 9 sacks.

im not fearful of a back up LB becomming a starter. he will do well.

Steelerstrength
04-25-2007, 12:41 PM

I agree! But I love the fact that he is known for slamming the Clowns fan! That's just a small factor in what I've seen in his arsenal.

When given the opportunity to start, and receive all the rep's in practice, a player will rise to the top, or delve into the depths. I believe he will rise. Sometimes players have to take the long road to success. They pay their dues and become hungrier, with a sharp tone of nasty. When Silverback has played, I've only seen a great young LB. I also believe it's a great thing for him to be in our system of development. These factors become an accumulation of important characteristics that are the sum of a Steelers LB'er, IMHO.

I kindly disagree with the tone of my fellow Steelers fan, Coachspeak33. It just doesn't appear that you believe in Silverback. I aint mad at you. :cheers:

coachspeak33
04-25-2007, 01:17 PM
I agree! But I love the fact that he is known for slamming the Clowns fan! That's just a small factor in what I've seen in his arsenal.

When given the opportunity to start, and receive all the rep's in practice, a player will rise to the top, or delve into the depths. I believe he will rise. Sometimes players have to take the long road to success. They pay their dues and become hungrier, with a sharp tone of nasty. When Silverback has played, I've only seen a great young LB. I also believe it's a great thing for him to be in our system of development. These factors become an accumulation of important characteristics that are the sum of a Steelers LB'er, IMHO.

I kindly disagree with the tone of my fellow Steelers fan, Coachspeak33. It just doesn't appear that you believe in Silverback. I aint mad at you. :cheers:

I guess I better clear this up...I like James Harrison....we have been fortunate to have him as an insurance policy for our LB core....his ST's play was fantastic...when he went down a couple years ago late in the season it made me very nervous...as our ST's can be a "siv" that leads to me feeling sick to the point where I could at any moment throw up.:dang:

This all started however, with an attitude I sensed among some (not just 1) posters that we were somehow better off without Peezy (nobody to my knowledge came out and said it verbatum, but their "tone" was noted)...this was a concept or "tone" was one I strongly disagreed with...

Furthermore, Silverback's disposition is one I particularly like in a LB that plays for the only team I root for:tt02: .... and yes its a good thing when browns fans, drunk and sober alike, get faceplanted:thumbsup: ....

Also Silverback is one of only two legitimate options at OLB (Haggans being the other whose future in Pittsburgh is in question also...although I really liked what I saw in limited playing time out of Arnold Harrison who played very well in a start vs KC and is currently on the shelf due to injury)

So when folks out there say we dont need help at OLB because of James Harrison presence on our roster....that is probably a tad short sighted IMO

Also in spite of limited playing time for #92...he isnt that young...he is approaching 30 yrs old...the same age that usually marks the beginning of the end of a players rise in ability....usually their abilities begin to plateau at that stage of their career.

At his height...I have quietly wondered during the last coule yrs whether or not he might be a decent fit to replace Farrior inside...I could see him being very effective at sifting through the trash near the LOS and really being an effective run stuffer...this idea hasnt never been mentioned or experimented with however by the FO so I could be completely wrong...

Do I think he will be a huge hole in our D??? - Absolutely not
Am I excited about the opportunity to show what he is made of?? - you betcha

But there are alot of Steelers fans who are extremely loyal...bordering on being loyal to a fault...and they just wanna root...well there are some on this site that like to analyze AND root...

Go Steelers

polamalufan43
04-25-2007, 03:48 PM
I guess I better clear this up...I like James Harrison....we have been fortunate to have him as an insurance policy for our LB core....his ST's play was fantastic...when he went down a couple years ago late in the season it made me very nervous...as our ST's can be a "siv" that leads to me feeling sick to the point where I could at any moment throw up.:dang:

This all started however, with an attitude I sensed among some (not just 1) posters that we were somehow better off without Peezy (nobody to my knowledge came out and said it verbatum, but their "tone" was noted)...this was a concept or "tone" was one I strongly disagreed with...

Furthermore, Silverback's disposition is one I particularly like in a LB that plays for the only team I root for:tt02: .... and yes its a good thing when browns fans, drunk and sober alike, get faceplanted:thumbsup: ....

Also Silverback is one of only two legitimate options at OLB (Haggans being the other whose future in Pittsburgh is in question also...although I really liked what I saw in limited playing time out of Arnold Harrison who played very well in a start vs KC and is currently on the shelf due to injury)

So when folks out there say we dont need help at OLB because of James Harrison presence on our roster....that is probably a tad short sighted IMO

Also in spite of limited playing time for #92...he isnt that young...he is approaching 30 yrs old...the same age that usually marks the beginning of the end of a players rise in ability....usually their abilities begin to plateau at that stage of their career.

At his height...I have quietly wondered during the last coule yrs whether or not he might be a decent fit to replace Farrior inside...I could see him being very effective at sifting through the trash near the LOS and really being an effective run stuffer...this idea hasnt never been mentioned or experimented with however by the FO so I could be completely wrong...

Do I think he will be a huge hole in our D??? - Absolutely not
Am I excited about the opportunity to show what he is made of?? - you betcha

But there are alot of Steelers fans who are extremely loyal...bordering on being loyal to a fault...and they just wanna root...well there are some on this site that like to analyze AND root...

Go Steelers

Very good points. Even though Harrison had some issues with that I still think he has a good chance at becoming the starter unless someone comes from out of the blue.

fugawzi
04-27-2007, 04:29 PM
yea

polamalufan43
04-27-2007, 09:28 PM
The problem that we would have with him is that others are going to expect him to live up to Joey's way of playing the first year if he starts, which I'm sure he could try and do, but if you think about it how likely is that?

Livinginthe past
04-27-2007, 09:35 PM
If the Steelers go 'OLB' in the 1st round tomorrow - that'll be your starter and not Harrison the career special teams guy.

polamalufan43
04-27-2007, 09:37 PM
If the Steelers go 'OLB' in the 1st round tomorrow - that'll be your starter and not Harrison the career special teams guy.

That's what I was thinking about as well. Honestly, I don't know what to think about that.
I'm torn between a player who is young and has talent, but little experience, and a older player that has talent, and experience....:dang: :dang:

rbryan
04-27-2007, 09:55 PM
If Harrison is still the #5 LB that will be a good problem to have. IMO he would be a starter on a lot of other teams. I think he will have a monster year and make people forget about JP.