PDA

View Full Version : A few words from Hines....a good sign

stillers4me
04-21-2007, 01:26 PM
Feeling like a rookie againSaturday, April 21, 2007
By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

Hines Ward is entering his 10th season in the NFL, but after a few practices during the Steelers mini-camp, he admits he feels like a rookie all over again. And the reason is simple. Things have changed.

New offensive coordinator Bruce Arians has shaken up the offensive playbook, keeping the basic plays the same but changing terminology, protections and other aspects of it. And that means it's time to start over and go through a major learning process for Ward and the rest of the offense.

"That's why lot of the offensive guys are back. It's really the same playbook but we're changing it up and we're protecting different ways and stuff," said Ward. "That's just like going to school, it's more like classroom, homework stuff. It's trying to mentally get a picture of what formation we're in and things like that.

'It's exciting. Everybody is like a rookie all over and everybody's in this together."

The team is taking part in a three-day mini-camp, the first of two that they will have this off-season, and it has been the first opportunity for the players to get a feel for what head coach Mike Tomlin is like on the field. There are things they will have to become accustomed to, but Ward likes what he has seen so far.

"Coach Tomlin, he's a laid-back guy but he's very hands on," said Ward. "He's hands on with every different position. It's exciting for us. There's a lot of uncertainty because we're so accustomed to one way but at the same time we're excited by the new coaching staff and the new sense of spirit they bring into the locker room.

"With the new coaching staff, a new head coach, things are going to be different around here. There's going to be an adjustment period that we as a group, a lot of veteran guys, we're accustomed to doing it one way all the time. Coach Tomlin is about taking fundamentals very seriously and starting from there."

Ward is happy to be back on the field, happy to be starting a new season after he said it was embarrassing to miss the playoffs coming off winning the Super Bowl. Along with his teammates he had time to reflect on the 2006 season and figure out what went wrong and what can be corrected in his own play to help the team do better this year.

It's way to soon for him to predict what will happen in 2007, but he thinks the team is headed in the right direction.

"It's mini-camp, we still have a long ways to go, but I like where we're going," said Ward. "I like what Coach Arians is putting in offensively ? it's going to give a chance for a lot of guys to really be active. He's going to put guys in the right position to make plays. That's the good part of this offense, he's going to put you in position to go out and make plays and be successful.

"We know we have a long ways to go, but it all starts here. Right now, it's about starting a foundation, getting everybody acclimated to the new offense's terminology and still going out there and playing Pittsburgh Steelers football."

The Duke
04-21-2007, 01:36 PM
Seems Ward has stopped complaining:thumbsup:

siss
04-21-2007, 01:48 PM
Thats good that Ben isnt hte only ne who feels like a rookie again!

steelmann58
04-21-2007, 04:36 PM
well hopefully Hines takes a leadership role here.

Stlrs4Life
04-21-2007, 05:20 PM
It is going to be interesting with the new playbook. Hope this doesn't turn out to be a downfall.

SCSTILLER
04-21-2007, 08:07 PM
I think that the team is finally accepting the fact that Cowher is gone and that Tomlin is coach. I also think that the team got complacent for awhile, and that is not a good thing in football.

steelersfanman92
04-22-2007, 10:17 AM
I am a little worried about the new playbook but lets hope that everyone can adjust

83-Steelers-43
04-22-2007, 10:41 AM
Steelers' Ward already looking forward to Dolphins game

By The Associated Press
Sunday, April 22, 2007

The Pittsburgh Steelers listened to Joey Porter verbally confront nearly every opposing team for eight years. They're curious if he will try to do the same thing with them.

When the NFL schedule was released last week, wide receiver Hines Ward said the Dolphins-Steelers game at Heinz Field on Monday, Nov. 26 easily stood out.

The game will mark Porter's first in Pittsburgh in a visiting uniform. The linebacker signed with the Dolphins last month after being released by the Steelers.

Porter, a three-time Pro Bowl outside linebacker, has long been known as one of the NFL's most talkative players — regularly screaming at opponents before, during and, sometimes, after games. He once was tossed out of a game in Cleveland for a fight that took place before the kickoff.

"We're circling the date when we play Miami, I want to see if there's really going to be trash talking, if he really can trash talk us," Ward said Friday, the first day of the Steelers' weekend minicamp. "You can't trash talk your boys, Joey."

Ward was among the players most upset when the Steelers cut Porter, whom they felt was declining in production and was not worth the money they would have to spend to sign him to a new contract.

Porter's contract with Miami guarantees him $20 million, or about four times more than he would have made with Pittsburgh this season.

"There's still a lot of great football left in Joey," Ward said. "He's still a great player. He helped raise our defense to the level they needed to be. That's what great leaders do. It's hard to replace a guy like Joey Porter — not only losing coach (Bill) Cowher, but a leader like Joey Porter."

Cowher, the Steelers coach since 1992, resigned after last season and was replaced by former Minnesota defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin.

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said it was easy to tell Porter wasn't around for the Steelers' first formal practice under Tomlin.

"It makes it quieter," he said. "We miss all of these guys, whatever reason they left. We always miss these guys. You can never replace them."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_504032.html

RoethlisBURGHer
04-22-2007, 02:00 PM
I wanna see Joey get trash talked back to,that should be interesting.You know Larry Foote will be talking.

I really hope Joey gets a standing ovation when announced in pregame...and then gets the hell booed out of him every time he gets a sack or tackle.

Elvis
04-22-2007, 03:22 PM
I wanna see Joey get trash talked back to,that should be interesting.You know Larry Foote will be talking.

I really hope Joey gets a standing ovation when announced in pregame...and then gets the hell booed out of him every time he gets a sack or tackle.
If he gets booed for every sack or tackle in that game , then I hope that we never hear the 1st boo during Miami's time on the floor.. It will take some getting used to not having Cowher on the sideline but I feel like it maybe a good thing to get things going in the right direction again for Big Ben. I just hope that we dont lose our Smash Mouth Football Instinct that has been here for so many years..
:tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

polamalufan43
04-23-2007, 04:31 PM
I hope all the players take the time and determination to get used to and study the playbook.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

memphissteelergirl
04-23-2007, 04:57 PM
well hopefully Hines takes a leadership role here.

^ :iagree:

Preacher
04-23-2007, 06:52 PM
I think... if we read between the line.... Ward is saying something pretty dramatic in these statements....

"Coach Tomlin, he's a laid-back guy but he's very hands on," said Ward. "He's hands on with every different position. It's exciting for us. There's a lot of uncertainty because we're so accustomed to one way but at the same time we're excited by the new coaching staff and the new sense of spirit they bring into the locker room.

As opposed to what? Is this ever telling of the Steeler locker room last year. Now, project that to Porter leaving and maybe Faneca leaving. What does that leave us? Room for new leaders to step up under a new coach in a new system. Leaders that have been around for a while though... And Ward sees it. "New Sense of Spirit" INTERESTING.

There's going to be an adjustment period that we as a group, a lot of veteran guys, we're accustomed to doing it one way all the time. Coach Tomlin is about taking fundamentals very seriously and starting from there."

How were the veterans used to doing it? Were they used to going through the paces... and resting on thier laurels until game time (which is how bad habits within the fundamentals happen)? Notice the focus on fundamentals. Those small mistakes which KILLED us last year. A rookie not on the line of scrimmage... a couple of fumbles... a couple dropped balls... a couple missed blocks... all FUNDAMENTALS that are now being hammered home... so it seems. And may it be that if a person doesn't get the fundamentals in practice... he won't play in a game? Dang I hope so.

but he thinks the team is headed in the right direction.

The direction has been changed... and now it is in the right direction??? What does he truly think about last season???

"It's mini-camp, we still have a long ways to go, but I like where we're going," said Ward. "I like what Coach Arians is putting in offensively ? it's going to give a chance for a lot of guys to really be active. He's going to put guys in the right position to make plays. That's the good part of this offense, he's going to put you in position to go out and make plays and be successful.

This one blew me away... More balls to more people... more routes ran... not predictive... and allowing the players to make plays... Hmmmm...

"We know we have a long ways to go, but it all starts here. Right now, it's about starting a foundation, getting everybody acclimated to the new offense's terminology and still going out there and playing Pittsburgh Steelers football."

And for all of you naysayers that want run first... run only... 3 yards and cloud of dust... look at the end of this quote... PLAYING STEELER FOOTBALL.

Oh yeah... I do like three yard and a cloud of dust football...

but too often it has become three yards and a cloud of mediocrity.

Predictability kills.

GO TOMLIN GO.. I like what he is doing.

Steel Pit
04-24-2007, 01:12 AM
It sounds to me as if Cowher's ways were becomming pretty STALE!

In reference to Joey Porter and the possibility that he may confront Steelers players during the pre-game warm-ups, blah, blah blah. Bring it on Lord Mouthy. I would venture to say that James Harrison could kick the snot out of Porter.

tony hipchest
04-24-2007, 01:54 AM
It sounds to me as if Cowher's ways were becomming pretty STALE!

In reference to Joey Porter and the possibility that he may confront Steelers players during the pre-game warm-ups, blah, blah blah. Bring it on Lord Mouthy. I would venture to say that James Harrison could kick the snot out of Porter.that would be a fight worth seeing (and even paying for). but without going through a "tale of the tape" my $$$ would be on porter. other than the fact that harrison hasnt been as vocal as porter, do you have anything to base harrison being more of an ass kicker than porter on?

from what ive seen, porter scraps with nfl players. harrison bodyslams drunk brownfans.

advantage- porter

coachspeak33
04-24-2007, 09:38 AM
I wanna see if Harrison can string out running plays going outside left end...Joey did an excellent job of this...he could stand up a LT and string it out towards the sideline...

Most of our sacks our gifts from Lebeau's playbook....If you send 7 and only 6 are blocking it doesnt take much skill to tackle the QB...

I think Harrison is athletic enough to be effective in pass coverage...but I really want to see him play the run when it is run right at him.

SteelersTilIDie
04-27-2007, 03:37 PM
this can be good and bad...he could feel young and energized all over again and relive to glory days, or he could step down from a leader standpoint. Hopefully he is energized once again for another season.

polamalufan43
04-27-2007, 09:35 PM
As or the Porter vs. Harrison subject, I think Porter has alot more advantages just because he has played as a starter alot more than Harrison has. Besides that, I think he has more of a presence than Harrison, but don't get me wrong Harrison can scare the crap out of someone and have a good field presence.
All I can say is if Joey doesn't do much trash talking when we play them, then maybe he has a soft spot for the team who made him what he is. If he does trash talk, bring it Joey...bring it.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

GBMelBlount
04-27-2007, 09:41 PM
I think... if we read between the line.... Ward is saying something pretty dramatic in these statements....

As opposed to what? Is this ever telling of the Steeler locker room last year. Now, project that to Porter leaving and maybe Faneca leaving. What does that leave us? Room for new leaders to step up under a new coach in a new system. Leaders that have been around for a while though... And Ward sees it. "New Sense of Spirit" INTERESTING.

How were the veterans used to doing it? Were they used to going through the paces... and resting on thier laurels until game time (which is how bad habits within the fundamentals happen)? Notice the focus on fundamentals. Those small mistakes which KILLED us last year. A rookie not on the line of scrimmage... a couple of fumbles... a couple dropped balls... a couple missed blocks... all FUNDAMENTALS that are now being hammered home... so it seems. And may it be that if a person doesn't get the fundamentals in practice... he won't play in a game? Dang I hope so.

The direction has been changed... and now it is in the right direction??? What does he truly think about last season???

This one blew me away... More balls to more people... more routes ran... not predictive... and allowing the players to make plays... Hmmmm...

And for all of you naysayers that want run first... run only... 3 yards and cloud of dust... look at the end of this quote... PLAYING STEELER FOOTBALL.

Oh yeah... I do like three yard and a cloud of dust football...

but too often it has become three yards and a cloud of mediocrity.

Predictability kills.

GO TOMLIN GO.. I like what he is doing.

Wow, Good job Preach!!!!