PDA

View Full Version : swan and stallworth

19ward86
04-22-2007, 10:35 AM
sorry if i misspelled their names, but i have a little bit of info that might be interesting to some of the older folks around here. even though swanny and stallworth were 1st round picks they both ran 4.8 40 yard dash's at the NFL combine. the coaching staff (taught)? them how to run with smaller steps and they began running in the 4.4 times.

GBMelBlount
04-22-2007, 09:01 PM
sorry if i misspelled their names, but i have a little bit of info that might be interesting to some of the older folks around here. even though swanny and stallworth were 1st round picks they both ran 4.8 40 yard dash's at the NFL combine. the coaching staff (taught)? them how to run with smaller steps and they began running in the 4.4 times.

Wow, if true, amazing.

OX1947
04-22-2007, 10:45 PM
no way, 4.4 speed is genetics. Maybe if you were a 4.6 runner, maybe you can get it to 4.4 but not from 4.8. I ran a 4.8 and there is no way in hell any training out there could make me a 4.4 40 runner.

fansince'76
04-22-2007, 10:50 PM
Interesting, considering that both Swann and Stallworth were drafted in '74 and the annual combine didn't start until 1977 or so.

Preacher
04-22-2007, 10:58 PM
no way, 4.4 speed is genetics. Maybe if you were a 4.6 runner, maybe you can get it to 4.4 but not from 4.8. I ran a 4.8 and there is no way in hell any training out there could make me a 4.4 40 runner.

Not true... bad form can really hurt speed. If someone is taking big steps in the beginning, not allowing themselves to get up to speed... teaching something like that can really help.

I agree that 4.4 is genetics... It could be that the coaches saw the genetics ability, (on tape which was passed around, as done in those days) and drafted them with the knowledge that changing thier footwork in the beginning of thier routes would greatly increase thier speed.

jjpro11
04-23-2007, 12:20 AM
Not true... bad form can really hurt speed. If someone is taking big steps in the beginning, not allowing themselves to get up to speed... teaching something like that can really help.

I agree that 4.4 is genetics... It could be that the coaches saw the genetics ability, (on tape which was passed around, as done in those days) and drafted them with the knowledge that changing thier footwork in the beginning of thier routes would greatly increase thier speed.

i dont think theres any doubt they were genetically gifted.. they are both HOF wide receivers.

Livinginthe past
04-23-2007, 05:25 AM
Interesting, considering that both Swann and Stallworth were drafted in '74 and the annual combine didn't start until 1977 or so.

If thats true, then its the definitive post on this thread.

Say no more.

abgroove
04-23-2007, 07:01 AM

Stallworth was not a 1st round pick.

19ward86
04-23-2007, 07:44 AM
Associated Press reports former Pittsburgh Steelers WR Lynn Swann is ... He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.88, i forget where the rest of the info was.

"KFFL - NFL News and Notes"

fansince'76
04-23-2007, 08:55 AM
If thats true, then its the definitive post on this thread.

Say no more.

Actually, it started even later than that (1982):

http://www.nflcombine.net/?q=node/9

I'm starting to consider that KFFL site to be about as accurate as PFT.

abgroove
04-24-2007, 06:35 AM
Actually, it started even later than that (1982):

http://www.nflcombine.net/?q=node/9

I'm starting to consider that KFFL site to be about as accurate as PFT.

PFT is a rumor site. It doesn't pretend to be anything else. And, they correctly predicted our 8 - 8 finish this past season. And, they were the first site to report Tomlin and Cowher's successor. If you are looking for it to be gospel, that's not what it is supposed to be.

Stlrs4Life
04-24-2007, 07:28 PM
PFT is also the website that reported that Terry Bradshaw was in a terrible car wreck.

Livinginthe past
04-25-2007, 12:52 AM
PFT is also the website that reported that Terry Bradshaw was in a terrible car wreck.

Actually they reported that others had reported it.

It was information that was scrambled before they even received it - apparently it happened on the Terry Bradshaw Passway and thats where the Chinese whispers started.

As stated before (and countless times) its a rumor/gossip site - I can't remember them being caught out on parading fiction as fact.

SteelersTilIDie
04-25-2007, 08:13 PM
I could understand a 2 millisecond change, but not a 4...If they did do this truthfully it is astonishing, but there is a very dim chance. Speed isn't everthing though anyway, because Hines is like a 4.6 but it doesnt bother him nor hurt his playing ability that much.

fansince'76
04-25-2007, 08:16 PM
PFT is a rumor site. It doesn't pretend to be anything else. And, they correctly predicted our 8 - 8 finish this past season. And, they were the first site to report Tomlin and Cowher's successor. If you are looking for it to be gospel, that's not what it is supposed to be.

No, my point in that post was that PFT is NOT accurate. Personally, I never look at it, but I see it quoted on these forums all the time.

GBMelBlount
04-25-2007, 09:37 PM
So what did Swann & S-worth run? Rice was 4.6.

fansince'76
04-25-2007, 09:44 PM
So what did Swann & S-worth run? Rice was 4.6.

No idea - I don't pay attention to 40 times. IMHO, 40 times are the most overrated measuring stick in the NFL. After all, these guys are in the NFL, not the U.S. Track and Field team. Swanny and Stallworth were fast enough, I guess - doubt they would have stuck around long if they weren't.

GBMelBlount
04-25-2007, 10:08 PM
Well, I guess I might take a 4.6 Rice over a 4.3 Reid, but it's still fun as heck to watch the times!

ben2hines=6
04-26-2007, 02:10 PM
i highly disagree with the thought of being able to be taught to run from a 4.8 to a 4.4......obviously any athlete that can run that fast has been running on the track or on the football field or both for sometime....i guarantee they have the right technique down or they wouldnt be able to run even the 4.8.......it may not seem like a lot but the difference between that time is big and can not be taught

Elvis
04-26-2007, 04:16 PM
8 Super Bowl Tittles Between The
2 of ' em... Dare I Say More?
:tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

MasterOfPuppets
04-26-2007, 04:22 PM
i shaved off 2 seconds on my forty time when i set my beer down....:alcoholic

GBMelBlount
04-26-2007, 09:21 PM
i shaved off 2 seconds on my forty time when i set my beer down....:alcoholic

If you hold one in each hand it will help too.