PDA

View Full Version : Who Should The Raiders Choose?

Elvis
04-22-2007, 10:47 PM
The question is simple isnt it?
I dont know exactly what everyone else thinks about this, but If I had the number one pick I would chose and I were the Raiders and all their needs.. I would try to trade down 2 or 3 spots and then take the big RB Adrian Peterson.. then use the other picks you pick up and get an O Lineman to help block for him. You start a championship team in my opinion with a strong running game and a stingy defense.. Lets hear some opinions everyone and lets have some fun before this weekends draft...:tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

Livinginthe past
04-23-2007, 06:08 AM
Raiders already paid good money for LaMont Jordan a couple of years back and then signed Dominic Rhodes this offseason - so I would say they have invested enough at RB.

If I was the Raiders I would trade places with Tampa (who would pick Calvin Johnson) - then with the 4th pick in the draft I would select whoever was remaining out of JaMarcus Russell or Brady Quinn - ideally it would be Brady Quinn.

With the trade would come Tampa's early 2nd rounder and their 2008 1st rounder.

With the extra 2nd rounder you take the best offensive lineman available.

I think a guy like Russell needs a better offensive line (he sounds like a black Drew Bledsoe with extra mobility) - a quicker release guy like Quinn would work better.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-23-2007, 08:54 AM
Raiders already paid good money for LaMont Jordan a couple of years back and then signed Dominic Rhodes this offseason - so I would say they have invested enough at RB.

If I was the Raiders I would trade places with Tampa (who would pick Calvin Johnson) - then with the 4th pick in the draft I would select whoever was remaining out of JaMarcus Russell or Brady Quinn - ideally it would be Brady Quinn.

With the trade would come Tampa's early 2nd rounder and their 2008 1st rounder.

With the extra 2nd rounder you take the best offensive lineman available.

I think a guy like Russell needs a better offensive line (he sounds like a black Drew Bledsoe with extra mobility) - a quicker release guy like Quinn would work better.

I would agree..trade down...get your QB..or if both Quinn & Russell are gone..grab OT Thomas in the first and wait until the second round to grab Drew Stanton and the best Guard left on the board

lilyoder6
04-23-2007, 10:00 AM
i think they need the top 6 picks to get there team to be good... but i do think that since tampa does want calvin oakland could use that and trade down like livinginthe past said... hopefull they don't mess it up like the texans did last yr.

pittsburghp8baller
04-23-2007, 11:35 AM
I would agree..trade down...get your QB..or if both Quinn & Russell are gone..grab OT Thomas in the first and wait until the second round to grab Drew Stanton and the best Guard left on the board

i like the idea of going for Thomas but instead of Drew Stanton i would go for Trent Edwards.

Elvis
04-23-2007, 04:43 PM
Oh. yeah.. I forgot about the Raiders getting Dominic Rhodes.. I just dont really think that he is the answer that Peterson would be. But I guess since they put that kind of money out there for him then he is the guy or the 2nd guy behind Jordan. Of course it doesnt matter who is running the ball in Oakland, they cant block anyone....
I think if I was gonna draft either of the mentioned QB's at No.1
it would have to be Brady Quinn.. Russell just hasnt done good things long enough in my opinion to take number 1 over all .. No Way! Oakland would be smart to listen to offers from the Bucs and co. and get extra picks , because this seems to be a weak draft anyway at QB's. Just my opinion though...:tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

RoethlisBURGHer
04-23-2007, 09:10 PM
Well,it looks like the Dolphins might be releasing Cullpepper.That would leave them Brady Quinn at thier pick,likley trading up to sixth pick to take him because if Russell is available,he'll be a Cleveland Brown.

I saw it on Sportscenter today,that if the 'Phins release CPepp,it's very likley the Raiders will sign him,leaving them to draft Calvin Johnson with the first overall pick and then Stanton or Edwards in the second round.

verks36
04-23-2007, 09:19 PM
Here is what they should do.

Sighn cullpeper and draft calvin and realase moss

silver & black
04-23-2007, 10:19 PM
The question is simple isnt it?
I dont know exactly what everyone else thinks about this, but If I had the number one pick I would chose and I were the Raiders and all their needs.. I would try to trade down 2 or 3 spots and then take the big RB Adrian Peterson.. then use the other picks you pick up and get an O Lineman to help block for him. You start a championship team in my opinion with a strong running game and a stingy defense.. Lets hear some opinions everyone and lets have some fun before this weekends draft...:tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

I would like to see us trade down. I don't want either Russell or Quinn. I don't think either is a legit #1, or worth the money that goes with it.

I'm torn between Calvin Johnson and Adrian Peterson. CJ is the safe pick and the best player in the draft. AP is a playmaking RB that can help any QB. Lamont Jordan is not a starting quality back, and neither is Rhodes. They may do well as a tandem, but I don't think either of them can carry a team.

We need another QB. Andrew Walter is a ??? at this time. I'm not writing him off, but his confidence may have taken a huge hit after last season. I think he deserves another shot with a better O line, coaching and scheme, but we desperately need some quality depth at the position. If we trade down, we could still get Edwards or Stanton. I think both of these guys could be solid QB's in the NFL, at a lot less money than Quinn or Russell.

I can't wait for this to be over. If we ever have the #1 pick again, I might have to shoot myself!

lilyoder6
04-25-2007, 01:19 PM
if culpepper does sign with the raiders then him and moss will be reunited and maybe return to there form when they were in minn.

Elvis
04-25-2007, 07:35 PM
I would like to see us trade down. I don't want either Russell or Quinn. I don't think either is a legit #1, or worth the money that goes with it.

I'm torn between Calvin Johnson and Adrian Peterson. CJ is the safe pick and the best player in the draft. AP is a playmaking RB that can help any QB. Lamont Jordan is not a starting quality back, and neither is Rhodes. They may do well as a tandem, but I don't think either of them can carry a team.

We need another QB. Andrew Walter is a ??? at this time. I'm not writing him off, but his confidence may have taken a huge hit after last season. I think he deserves another shot with a better O line, coaching and scheme, but we desperately need some quality depth at the position. If we trade down, we could still get Edwards or Stanton. I think both of these guys could be solid QB's in the NFL, at a lot less money than Quinn or Russell.

I can't wait for this to be over. If we ever have the #1 pick again, I might have to shoot myself!
Nice ideas for your Raiders.. I think that the Raiders would be alot better off trading down myself and maybe getting A Peterson at RB.. but you have to work on your O Line the rest of the draft and get a young QB in the 2nd, there is no ? that the Raiders need some talent at QB to me. I have a good friend that is a Die Hard Raiders fan...bless his heart..:wink02: But I think that your way of thinking would be good about your team (Raiders) Good Luck Bud..:thumbsup:

silver & black
04-25-2007, 08:21 PM
Nice ideas for your Raiders.. I think that the Raiders would be alot better off trading down myself and maybe getting A Peterson at RB.. but you have to work on your O Line the rest of the draft and get a young QB in the 2nd, there is no ? that the Raiders need some talent at QB to me. I have a good friend that is a Die Hard Raiders fan...bless his heart..:wink02: But I think that your way of thinking would be good about your team (Raiders) Good Luck Bud..:thumbsup:

Thanks for the reply. What does your Raider fan friend have to say about the draft?

The overwhelming majority of Raider fans seem to want Russell. I think having the #1 pick (first time in the history of the franchise) clouds better judgement. Trading down is just the smart thing to do. We could still get a decent QB in the second without paying a fortune for one of the top 2 that, in my opinion, aren't much better.

As you said, we could use the extra picks to bolster the O line. I just can't see any advantage to paying all that money to one of the top picks when we are not a #1 pick away from contending. We should use this draft wisely and build a solid foundation on which to get back to top form. Hopefully, we will. I guess we'll all find out on Saturday. :thumbsup:

MasterOfPuppets
04-25-2007, 08:39 PM
the raiders should pick calvin johnson , and imediatly put up a sign that says "receivers for sale" , including moss.

SteelersTilIDie
04-25-2007, 09:18 PM
If the Radiers were smart, they would try to get out of this pick by trading. Another smart thing to do would be to take Calvin Johnson and trade him for something very valuable. If all fails, the Raiders will probably just accept the fact that they have to draft JaMarcus Russell and just take him.

silver & black
04-25-2007, 10:11 PM
If the Radiers were smart, they would try to get out of this pick by trading. Another smart thing to do would be to take Calvin Johnson and trade him for something very valuable. If all fails, the Raiders will probably just accept the fact that they have to draft JaMarcus Russell and just take him.

Why do the Raiders have to draft Russell?

Livinginthe past
04-26-2007, 03:07 AM

Mel Kipers big board says so :sofunny:

As a Raiders fan, do you see any gaping holes in the Culpepper to Oakland theory?

Personally I cannot imagine a worse fit - Miami's O-line was poor last year, and if Oakland improve this year (they can't get worse) they will be up to a similar level - C-Pep would give us a new record for fumbles in a season - if he lasted the whole year.

Raiders need a QB quick on his feet, who can sense pressure - not a big arm - big arms need time to throw.

Elvis
04-26-2007, 07:39 AM
:coffee: You Dont...
The Raiders are not just one pick away from being contenders and you know that , that is good. My friend kind of has mixed feelings about Russell. He likes the idea of trading down but not any lower than like 3 or 4. If they could go down to 3 they might still get Calvin Johnson and that is really what they need, him or Peterson would be a good fit for them. I personally like a power running game and a great defense to win my games. The Raiders have a pretty good defense already, so why not work on the running game, of course that means you have to work on your O LIne and maybe it is time for Gallery to step up and play or just move on.:thumbsup:

rbryan
04-26-2007, 11:52 AM
Culpepper to the Raiders, now thats funny. I was thinking if they draft Russell, they will be lucky if he turns out to be half as good as Culpepper WAS. Culpepper is finished. I refer to Russell as Jamarcus "Culpepper" when razzing my friend who is a huge Raiders fan.

Not many teams I despise as much as the Raiders. As long as Al "zheimer" Davis is calling the shots, there will be no joy in Raiderland. I could almost feel sorry for the raider nation except for they fact they beat us last year. Still scratchin my head over that one.

silver & black
04-26-2007, 04:48 PM
Mel Kipers big board says so :sofunny:

As a Raiders fan, do you see any gaping holes in the Culpepper to Oakland theory?

Personally I cannot imagine a worse fit - Miami's O-line was poor last year, and if Oakland improve this year (they can't get worse) they will be up to a similar level - C-Pep would give us a new record for fumbles in a season - if he lasted the whole year.

Raiders need a QB quick on his feet, who can sense pressure - not a big arm - big arms need time to throw.

I think its all rumor. He would be a terrible fit in Oakland. All the reunion talk about him and Moss is just wishfull thinking... Moss is DONE in Oakland, weather he is still there at the start of the season or not. Besides, I really don't think Moss will ever ragain his old form... he is too affraid of getting hit to catch anything. I seriously doubt that C-pep will ever be the same either.

I kind of think Josh McCown will end up a Raider in the next few days.

silver & black
04-26-2007, 04:53 PM
:coffee: You Dont...
The Raiders are not just one pick away from being contenders and you know that , that is good. My friend kind of has mixed feelings about Russell. He likes the idea of trading down but not any lower than like 3 or 4. If they could go down to 3 they might still get Calvin Johnson and that is really what they need, him or Peterson would be a good fit for them. I personally like a power running game and a great defense to win my games. The Raiders have a pretty good defense already, so why not work on the running game, of course that means you have to work on your O LIne and maybe it is time for Gallery to step up and play or just move on.:thumbsup:

I agree whole heartedly with you. What you put out there, is what I personally would like to see happen.

If Gallery doesn't step up this year, he needs to be gone next year. He is going to play on the right this year... we will see.

silver & black
04-26-2007, 04:54 PM
Culpepper to the Raiders, now thats funny. I was thinking if they draft Russell, they will be lucky if he turns out to be half as good as Culpepper WAS. Culpepper is finished. I refer to Russell as Jamarcus "Culpepper" when razzing my friend who is a huge Raiders fan.

Not many teams I despise as much as the Raiders. As long as Al "zheimer" Davis is calling the shots, there will be no joy in Raiderland. I could almost feel sorry for the raider nation except for they fact they beat us last year. Still scratchin my head over that one.

That pretty much sums up my opinion of Russell too.

MasterOfPuppets
04-26-2007, 05:49 PM
I agree whole heartedly with you. What you put out there, is what I personally would like to see happen.

If Gallery doesn't step up this year, he needs to be gone next year. He is going to play on the right this year... we will see.
just think..if you guys played it right...you could get levi brown,grubbs or blaylock,and ryan kalil,all in 2 rds. you'd have a whole new line.:thumbsup:

silver & black
04-26-2007, 07:27 PM
just think..if you guys played it right...you could get levi brown,grubbs or blaylock,and ryan kalil,all in 2 rds. you'd have a whole new line.:thumbsup:

I know, but I doubt Al will go for that many linemen. I hope we take Kalil... Grove is just horrible and Newberry is a huge ? as to weather he can remain healthy.

Jeremy
04-26-2007, 07:28 PM
The best player in the draft....Calvin Johnson. Screw what Cowherd and his buddies at ESPN say.

MasterOfPuppets
04-26-2007, 07:31 PM
I know, but I doubt Al will go for that many linemen. I hope we take Kalil... Grove is just horrible and Newberry is a huge ? as to weather he can remain healthy.
but damn,anyone who seen a raider game ,realizes that 90% of thier suck factor was the Oline.

silver & black
04-26-2007, 07:32 PM
The best player in the draft....Calvin Johnson. Screw what Cowherd and his buddies at ESPN say.

If we take CJ, do you think we should trade him or keep him?

The only reason I would take him #1 is to trade him.

MasterOfPuppets
04-26-2007, 07:36 PM
If we take CJ, do you think we should trade him or keep him?

The only reason I would take him #1 is to trade him.
as you and everyone in the free world knows , the best damn receiver ever can't catch a ball if the QB can't throw it too him...draft him and trade him for all the picks you can get , and spend the extras on OLINE!

silver & black
04-26-2007, 07:38 PM
but damn,anyone who seen a raider game ,realizes that 90% of thier suck factor was the Oline.

I would go as high as 95% :sofunny:

silver & black
04-26-2007, 07:41 PM
as you and everyone in the free world knows , the best damn receiver ever can't catch a ball if the QB can't throw it too him...draft him and trade him for all the picks you can get , and spend the extras on OLINE!

Yep, and this is where it is hard to get the average fan to understand that football is won and lost in the trenches. No O line... no nothing!

revefsreleets
04-26-2007, 08:34 PM
I actually think the Raiders will draft Johnson and keep him. Why not spend the rest of their draft on the offensive line then? I think the Raiders are like the Browns. If they had a line that could block, they might discover that the QB's they have are really okay and having Moss and Johnson to throw to would be any QB's dream.

SteelCityMan786
04-26-2007, 09:45 PM
JaMarcus Russel. They can start their rebuilding at Quaterback.