PDA

View Full Version : Colbert - Steelers Open To Draft Deals

Atlanta Dan
04-23-2007, 03:56 PM
This P-G article states the obvious insofar as the Steelers being open to dealing on draft day, but is newsworthy in terms of Colbert saying the Steelers are more likely to move down rather than up from the #15 slot if they deal (confirming this is a thin draft for true #1 quality picks) and that they would consider trading Faneca (I doubt Colbert would have said they would consider trading Troy).

Not a long story so I will post it all here:

Steelers open to draft day deals
Monday, April 23, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers are more likely to make a trade and move down the ladder in the first round from their No. 15 position than move up, they said today.

Kevin Colbert, the team's director of football operations, also said they would consider trading players -- and that would include guard Alan Faneca.

"Sure, we're open to everything," Colbert said today. "You never say never on any given situation. If you say you wouldn't do it and then all of a sudden someone proposes something crazy, you have to consider it."

Would that include Faneca, their six-time Pro Bowl guard who is unhappy with the financial terms left on the final year of his contract? There have been rumors that the Cardinals would like to acquire Faneca from the Steelers and reunite him with offensive line coach Russ Grimm and new Cardinals head coach Ken Whisenhunt.

"We touch base with every team," Colbert said. "We never get into a specific name; most teams don't, unless they come out publicly and say that. You never mention a player's name unless you're sure that player's not going to be with you, because if that player's name gets out in trade talks and you don't trade him, now you have a problem on your hands."

Colbert said picking up extra draft choices in a trade to move further down in the first round is enticing.

"It's less likely we'll go up from the 15th position because it's very expensive to get up into that top echelon," Colbert said. "Trading down could be an option for us. This is probably a good draft where more picks midway through is probably a good thing because there are a lot of good players that are going to be available in those 3-4-round areas. That could be interesting to us."

The Steelers have nine draft picks in the draft that takes place Saturday and Sunday.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07113/780317-100.stm

It appears Faneca and the Steelers are completely frozen on negotiations.

Jeremy
04-23-2007, 04:03 PM
Let me be the first to say that the Steelers would be morons to do anything with that Gong Show they call a front office in Arizona.

83-Steelers-43
04-23-2007, 04:06 PM
For what it's worth....http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?p=240263#post240263

polamalufan43
04-23-2007, 04:10 PM
It is a possiblity. Tomlin is supposed to talk with Faneca this week, so we'll see what happens with that. If things go bad, then who knows what could happen.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

Jeremy
04-23-2007, 04:12 PM
Anything less than two firsts and a third for Faneca would be a bust on the Steeler's part.

Man_Of_Steel
04-23-2007, 04:56 PM
It is a possiblity. Tomlin is supposed to talk with Faneca this week, so we'll see what happens with that. If things go bad, then who knows what could happen.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

And you know what happend when Tomlin talked with Porter........

Man_Of_Steel
04-23-2007, 04:58 PM
Anything less than two firsts and a third for Faneca would be a bust on the Steeler's part.

If they trade him, do not trade him to AZ where he wants to go, trade him to Cleveland or Cincinnatti....yeah, thats it. That'll teach him about crying...

MasterOfPuppets
04-23-2007, 05:22 PM

wow!!! i'd be happy with a first or 2 & 3....anything would be better than lettin him walk for a 3rd comp pick in 09.

19ward86
04-23-2007, 06:55 PM
i love faneca but the steelers could trade him for a mid 1st round pick this year and a 2nd or 3rd pick for next year and the steelers could draft a guy like Joe Staley(dont mind the last name:for the ignorant people im talking about duce "fat sack of crap" staley. but joe staley or levi brown would add youth to our line and add money to the cap room. also we could take a lineman and a reciever like dwayne jarret or a linebacker like paul posluszny from penn state.

Preacher
04-23-2007, 07:12 PM
i love faneca but the steelers could trade him for a mid 1st round pick this year and a 2nd or 3rd pick for next year and the steelers could draft a guy like Joe Staley(dont mind the last name:for the ignorant people im talking about duce "fat sack of crap" staley. but joe staley or levi brown would add youth to our line and add money to the cap room. also we could take a lineman and a reciever like dwayne jarret or a linebacker like paul posluszny from penn state.

Talking about money and cap room...

Trade faneca.. for a 2nd round this year... and a FIRST round next year. that way we don't have to pay 1st round prices this year... Heck... take thier second and third this year and first next year for Faneca and first this year... That way, we sit with two second and two third round picks this year... we can make sure we get M. Bush... pick up a LB an OL and DL for the heck of it.. and pick them ALL on the first day!!! Then next year, with more cap room hopefully, we can draft twice in the first round.. or trade them both to move up high in the first and take an absolute stud if we need too.

Question is... is Faneca worth that to Arizona?

I would actually have to say yes. The last scenario gives them two first round picks this year for the new head coach to play with... and Faneca to anchor thier Offense.. whom they know pretty well.

Man_Of_Steel
04-23-2007, 07:40 PM
Question is... is Faneca worth that to Arizona?

I would actually have to say yes. The last scenario gives them two first round picks this year for the new head coach to play with... and Faneca to anchor thier Offense.. whom they know pretty well.

I think if you'd ask Edgerrin James that, he'd say helll yeah. Their O-line sucks. Faneca is an all pro guard though, he would be hard to replace, don't forget that. If he wants to go that bad, send him away, I'd miss him though. And he was always good with us fans too.

Edman
04-23-2007, 08:00 PM
Let Faneca go to Arizona to go play with his buddy Grimm. It's obvious he doesn't want to play here anymore.

Thanks for the memories Alan.

If the Steelers get any less than a 1st-2nd Rounder as well as a couple more in a trade especially with an All-Pro involved, It's a bust automatically.

fansince'76
04-23-2007, 08:06 PM
Let Faneca go to Arizona to go play with his buddy Grimm. It's obvious he doesn't want to play here anymore.

Thanks for the memories Alan.

If the Steelers get any less than a 1st-2nd Rounder as well as a couple more in a trade especially with an All-Pro involved, It's a bust automatically.

I completely agree, Edman. I would hate for Faneca to possibly undermine what Tomlin's trying to do - I think it's safe to say at this point what Faneca says and does carries a bit more weight in the locker room than anything Tomlin says or does. Bad attitude is contagious.

Preacher
04-23-2007, 08:27 PM
I completely agree, Edman. I would hate for Faneca to possibly undermine what Tomlin's trying to do - I think it's safe to say at this point what Faneca says and does carries a bit more weight in the locker room than anything Tomlin says or does. Bad attitude is contagious.

Yep...

and that is why draft day should be the LAST DAY we talk about Faneca as a Steeler...

I am busy right now trying to get Broadband into the sanctuary of our church...

we have a seminar of which I have already gone through. I am trying to get the broad band there so that I can follow the draft!!

RoethlisBURGHer
04-23-2007, 08:44 PM

Nobody is going to give up two first rounders and a third rounder for a guy who's about to be a free agent after this season.They'd rather take thier chances in free agency.

Arizona probally wants Faneca,and Faneca probally wants to go to Arizona.The Steelers don't want thier first round pick,so I say give them Faneca for thier second and third rounder...hell,I'd be happy with just thier second round pick.

And don't go saying how that's a bust.A bust would be paying him this year and letting him walk for a third round compensation pick rather than a second rounder this year.

GBMelBlount
04-23-2007, 08:50 PM
If we Trade Faneca & with Hartings gone, how much would we need to focus on OL in the draft?

Atlanta Dan
04-23-2007, 09:15 PM
If we Trade Faneca & with Hartings gone, how much would we need to focus on OL in the draft?

A lot - it may be a version of short term pain for long term gain but if Faneca is traded 2007 is going to be a lot of Air Ben. Unfortunately, I do not believe this draft is regarded as a vintage year for OL.

Good arguments can be made for getting what they can for Faneca but it unquestionably will be a hit to the competitiveness of the current group of players on which the window of opportunity is closing fast - trading Faneca may slam it shut as the Steelers make a tough call to rebuild sooner rather than later.

Faneca going would fit with the decision not to hire from within and to boot Porter - not so much a remodeling as a tear down.

Preacher
04-23-2007, 09:20 PM
A lot - it may be a version of short term pain for long term gain but if Faneca is traded 2007 is going to be a lot of Air Ben. Unfortunately, I do not believe this draft is regarded as a vintage year for OL.

Good arguments can be made for getting what they can for Faneca but it unquestionably will be a hit to the competitiveness of the current group of players on which the window of opportunity is closing fast - trading Faneca may slam it shut as the Steelers make a tough call to rebuild sooner rather than later.

Faneca going would fit with the decision not to hire from within and to boot Porter - not so much a remodeling as a tear down.

that makes sense....

over the last 10 years... its seems we have just been trying to tweak this and tweak that...

at some point, the tweaking is over and a rebuild needs to happen. It is better to rebuild when it is less painful to do so... with just a FEW new parts, rather then having to start from scratch again.

SteelCzar76
04-23-2007, 09:26 PM

"We are often defined more truthfully by how we handle adversity"

Man_Of_Steel
04-23-2007, 09:39 PM
The thing is though, now that I've thought about it, Faneca must want to re-sign with the Steelers. If he didn't want to re-sign with the Steelers, for one he wouldn't be holding out, and two he could just play out this year and go wherever he wanted in FA after this season. I really hope he stays, he is too valuable to this offense. And another thing, he could be playing for his monster contract that he wants this year.

Preacher
04-23-2007, 10:36 PM
The thing is though, now that I've thought about it, Faneca must want to re-sign with the Steelers. If he didn't want to re-sign with the Steelers, for one he wouldn't be holding out, and two he could just play out this year and go wherever he wanted in FA after this season. I really hope he stays, he is too valuable to this offense. And another thing, he could be playing for his monster contract that he wants this year.

I disagree... he is doing this to force the Steeler's hand.

What he is afraid of, is playing this year and getting hurt... and then not getting the big payday.

LambertLunatic
04-23-2007, 11:21 PM
Nobody is going to give up two first rounders and a third rounder for a guy who's about to be a free agent after this season.They'd rather take thier chances in free agency.

Arizona probally wants Faneca,and Faneca probally wants to go to Arizona.The Steelers don't want thier first round pick,so I say give them Faneca for thier second and third rounder...hell,I'd be happy with just thier second round pick.

And don't go saying how that's a bust.A bust would be paying him this year and letting him walk for a third round compensation pick rather than a second rounder this year.

Wow! A voice of reason! I agree, a 2nd round pick is about the most we'll get for him. If we can make this deal with Ariz, then we'd get the 5th pick in round 2 as opposed to the 33rd pick in round 3 in 2009. This is supposed to be a deep draft class, so that 5th pick in round 2 will be about equal to about the 25th round 1 pick in most years. Remember too, that if Faneca get's injured this season, he's not likely to get as good a contract in free agency......and we wouldnt even get that late 3rd round comp pick.

Atlanta Dan
04-23-2007, 11:37 PM
I disagree... he is doing this to force the Steeler's hand.

What he is afraid of, is playing this year and getting hurt... and then not getting the big payday.

I agree - Porter made it clear he was going to be a pain in the neck if he was forced to play another year in Pittsburgh without a new contract and got cut, resulting in an immediate contract (with no risk of injury or decline in skills/market value by playing out the string with the Steelers in 2007) for more than he ever would have negotiated with the Steelers or probably anyone else in 2008.

Porter is Faneca's role model for negotiating with the Steelers in a manner that forces the issue, which is to sign him or trade him right now. Having seen the video of the Colbert/Tomlin press conference today on NFL Network, the Faneca For Sale sign is definitely turned on.

Preacher
04-23-2007, 11:39 PM
I agree - Porter made it clear he was going to be a pain in the neck if he was forced to play another year in Pittsburgh without a new contract and got cut, resulting in an immediate contract (with no risk of injury or decline in skills/market value by playing out the string with the Steelers in 2007) for more than he ever would have negotiated with the Steelers or probably anyone else in 2008.

Porter is Faneca's role model for negotiating with the Steelers in a manner that forces the issue, which is to sign him or trade him right now. Having seen the video of the Colbert/Tomlin press conference today on NFL Network, the Faneca For Sale sign is definitely turned on.

And sadly, I have to say...

Good!

tony hipchest
04-24-2007, 12:25 AM
so now that the subject of actually trading faneca is a reality and not just some crazy notion, what would you as fans hope and expect to get for him in a best case scenario, and what is the least you would accept for him?

i value him at about what matt schaub was worth on the open market. #15 (1st round) on the draft value chart (=2 2nds). faneca is worth no less than what deion branch got for the patriots. d. branch will not be making any pro bowls for the seahawks during his contract. faneca still has 2-3 still left in him.

the least i would take for him is raiders or detroits 2nd round this year, or arizontas 2nd plus a 3rd or 4th. i look for detroit or raiders to be drafting in the top 10 next year. if we could get this years and next years second, i think would be great.

Steel Pit
04-24-2007, 01:00 AM

You're probably right but I'll bet that the Steelers can get a 1st and a 3rd round for Faneca.

As for Faneca being a free agent after this season, I believe that the Steelers may have something to say about that by way of a FRANCHISE TAG!

tony hipchest
04-24-2007, 01:28 AM
You're probably right but I'll bet that the Steelers can get a 1st and a 3rd round for Faneca.

As for Faneca being a free agent after this season, I believe that the Steelers may have something to say about that by way of a FRANCHISE TAG!i think faneca is worth a 1st and a 3rd.

the bad thing about the franchise tag for faneca is that its based on the top 5 offensive linemen (not just guards). that means he would be paid with the j. ogdens, w. jones, and o. paces, and a full $8-10 mil (or so, im just guessing) will count against our cap. without being able to push any of that hit into the future (not like that would be the smart thing to do), we simply cant afford that.

however, we may use that franchise tag for polamalu who easilly deserves to be atleast the 2nd highest paid safety in the league. if he refuses to sign our best offer, we franchise him and actually get him cheaper (average of the top 5 highest paid safeties cant be no more than $4.5 mil)

coachspeak33
04-24-2007, 08:27 AM

I couldnt agree with you more!!!!! That is the real potential bust we face.

Jeremy
04-24-2007, 10:33 AM
wow!!! i'd be happy with a first or 2 & 3....anything would be better than lettin him walk for a 3rd comp pick in 09.

First this year and next year plus a conditional next year. This is 6 time pro Bowler in the prime of his career. Not some scrub off the street. If Arizona wants to be a player, they better be willing to pay the cost.

Who would be willing to settle for one second round pick for Faneca? My God have we gotten that apathetic to the future of this team?

coachspeak33
04-24-2007, 10:48 AM
First this year and next year plus a conditional next year. This is 6 time pro Bowler in the prime of his career. Not some scrub off the street. If Arizona wants to be a player, they better be willing to pay the cost.

Who would be willing to settle for one second round pick for Faneca? My God have we gotten that apathetic to the future of this team?

I am of the opinion that most of us just want the FO to do SOMETHING....ANYTHING to better the football teams future...if we cant resign Faneca...then trade him...after yrs of watching guys walk for nothing, many of us think its time to start getting some return for the players that the Steelers organization developed....COME ON COLBERT BE PROACTIVE BABY....

Jeremy
04-24-2007, 11:01 AM
I am of the opinion that most of us just want the FO to do SOMETHING....ANYTHING to better the football teams future...if we cant resign Faneca...then trade him...after yrs of watching guys walk for nothing, many of us think its time to start getting some return for the players that the Steelers organization developed....COME ON COLBERT BE PROACTIVE BABY....

Let me ask everyone something. If Jerry Jones were in this situation, what do you think he would do? He'd either give Faenca his money or leverage the hell out of some scrub team like Arizona.

coachspeak33
04-24-2007, 11:16 AM
You better watch it Jeremy....if you speak in a positive way about another franchise and use that to display your frustration with the Steelers FO....oh boy are you gonna get it....But before all the sheep get ya...YOUR ABSOLUTELY RIGHT.

rbryan
04-24-2007, 11:21 AM
I just love it how every little burp out of some moron in the media is taken as the gospel. Has Faneca actually said he doesn't want to play in Pittsburgh? No. Has Faneca said anything? No. He lives in Louisianna but was in Pittsburgh this week. Does that sound like he doesn't want to try and make it work here? Of course he wants paid what he feels he's worth, who doesn't.

I'm getting to the point where I can't watch ESPN,NFL network, etc. Just listening to these windbags make up stories in some lame attempt to justify thier existance makes me sick.

Jeremy
04-24-2007, 11:26 AM
You better watch it Jeremy....if you speak in a positive way about another franchise and use that to display your frustration with the Steelers FO....oh boy are you gonna get it....But before all the sheep get ya...YOUR ABSOLUTELY RIGHT.

Thanks for that.

fansince'76
04-24-2007, 12:30 PM
At the risk of sounding like one of the aforementioned "sheep," how long has it been since Big D's won a playoff game? Over a decade now?

MasterOfPuppets
04-24-2007, 12:32 PM
I am of the opinion that most of us just want the FO to do SOMETHING....ANYTHING to better the football teams future...if we cant resign Faneca...then trade him...after yrs of watching guys walk for nothing, many of us think its time to start getting some return for the players that the Steelers organization developed....COME ON COLBERT BE PROACTIVE BABY....thats it...i meen if your best offer is a 2nd , what can you do besides say no ,we'll just let him walk,and you can have him next year for nothing.a high second is way better than a comp 3rd.

Jeremy
04-24-2007, 12:42 PM
At the risk of sounding like one of the aforementioned "sheep," how long has it been since Big D's won a playoff game? Over a decade now?

My point was/is, why are we talking about something as insignificant for as a 2nd round pick for one of the best lineman in all of football? I just don't understand that mentality.

Atlanta Dan
04-24-2007, 12:44 PM
Ed.B. of the P-G guesses a second round pick is what Faneca would bring in a trade but also says Faneca will start making appearances when his failure to do so will cost him $$$ and doubts there will be a trade:

BOUCHETTE: Faneca's not the first to do this. Hines Ward held out of the first two weeks of training camp in 2005, Plaxico Burress skipped the Mother's Day required minicamp in 2004 and did not return until training camp, and Joey Porter bowed out for a week last year before having knee surgery. There also are things in place that if Faneca wants to maintain his boycott during required times, the Steelers can dock him some of the signing bonus they gave him. I'm betting Faneca reports for the next minicamp and for training camp, and that there will be no trade (What would a Pro Bowl guard bring? Perhaps not as much as you might think. I'd guess a second-round draft choice because of the circumstances. Also, if they trade him, who plays left guard?) Faneca could still sign a contract extension and go on to his seventh Pro Bowl and everyone will forget all the name-calling that went on in the spring.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07114/780532-367.stm

fansince'76
04-24-2007, 12:46 PM
My point was/is, why are we talking about something as insignificant for as a 2nd round pick for one of the best lineman in all of football? I just don't understand that mentality.

My bad - I thought you may have been suggesting that we begin playing the draft game like Jones - I shoulda known better than that. :wink02:

SteelerMurf
04-24-2007, 12:47 PM
Ed.B. of the P-G guesses a second round pick is what Faneca would bring in a trade but also says Faneca will start making appearances when his failure to do so will cost him $$$ and doubts there will be a trade:

BOUCHETTE: Faneca's not the first to do this. Hines Ward held out of the first two weeks of training camp in 2005, Plaxico Burress skipped the Mother's Day required minicamp in 2004 and did not return until training camp, and Joey Porter bowed out for a week last year before having knee surgery. There also are things in place that if Faneca wants to maintain his boycott during required times, the Steelers can dock him some of the signing bonus they gave him. I'm betting Faneca reports for the next minicamp and for training camp, and that there will be no trade (What would a Pro Bowl guard bring? Perhaps not as much as you might think. I'd guess a second-round draft choice because of the circumstances. Also, if they trade him, who plays left guard?) Faneca could still sign a contract extension and go on to his seventh Pro Bowl and everyone will forget all the name-calling that went on in the spring.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07114/780532-367.stm

I kinda agree here. I think Tomlin would really advise against dumping your only decent starting guard. Who would replace him? The offense would really never get on track and we wouldn't know if it was the line, a new coaching staff or Ben just can't handle calling the blocking assignments.

I do agree the best the Steelers would ever get would be 2nd round pick. If he had 2 or 3 years left on his contract, a low first round may not be out of the question.

Jeremy
04-24-2007, 12:48 PM
I kinda agree here. I think Tomlin would really advise against dumping your only decent starting guard. Who would replace him? The offense would really never get on track and we wouldn't know if it was the line, a new coaching staff or Ben just can't handle calling the blocking assignments.

I do agree the best the Steelers would ever get would be 2nd round pick. If he had 2 or 3 years left on his contract, a first round swap may not be out of the question.

Why? Any team we deal him to could franchise him and not lose him.

ChronoCross
04-24-2007, 01:12 PM
Colbert said trades are possible, even one involving Faneca

Tuesday, April 24, 2007
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers are more likely to make a trade and move down the ladder in the first round from their No. 15 position than move up. Or so they say.
Kevin Colbert, the team's director of football operations, also said they would consider trading players -- and that presumably would include unhappy guard Alan Faneca.

Full Article;

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07114/780467-66.stm

fansince'76
04-24-2007, 01:20 PM
Merged "Steelers unlikely to go up in draft" thread with "Colbert - Steelers Open To Draft Deals" thread. Thanks.

coachspeak33
04-24-2007, 01:34 PM
Everything Bouchette mentioned is great and all...but it doesnt change the fact that the steelers are hardly the type to pay a LG 50 million dollars....And he might be "forgetting" that we still have to extend two pretty important players who have yet to reach their prime (Ben & Troy)

Simply put....if your gonna lose him in a year regardless....THEN YOU MUST TRADE HIM!!! that is the only smart move to be made....

Oh and by the way... the only professional football player that we added to our roster this offseason....PLAYS FRICKIN GUARD.

Jeremy
04-24-2007, 01:40 PM
Everything Bouchette mentioned is great and all...but it doesnt change the fact that the steelers are hardly the type to pay a LG 50 million dollars....And he might be "forgetting" that we still have to extend two pretty important players who have yet to reach their prime (Ben & Troy)

Simply put....if your gonna lose him in a year regardless....THEN YOU MUST TRADE HIM!!! that is the only smart move to be made....

Oh and by the way... the only professional football player that we added to our roster this offseason....PLAYS FRICKIN GUARD.

You're really going to compare Mahan to Faneca?

Atlanta Dan
04-24-2007, 01:53 PM

If you trade Faneca it weakens a team that already has lost significant veteran talent (Bettis, Hartings, Porter) and several coaches since the SB. Since Faneca will in all likeihood be gone after 2007 a trade clearly is a gain for 2008 and beyond, but it blows a big hole in an already shaky OL and the prospects for 2007.

We shall see if watching whomever might be drafted with the pick Faneca brings on special teans during a 7-9 season this fall will turn out to be universally hailed as "the only smart move to be made." It is a tough call no matter which choice is made and no move regarding Faneca is clearly the only correct move here.

coachspeak33
04-24-2007, 02:11 PM
You're really going to compare Mahan to Faneca?

Not at all...I am pointing out that a team apparently so strapped for cap space spen their few available dollars for a guy that plays Faneca's position....that doesnt seem odd to you??

coachspeak33
04-24-2007, 02:15 PM
If you trade Faneca it weakens a team that already has lost significant veteran talent (Bettis, Hartings, Porter) and several coaches since the SB. Since Faneca will in all likeihood be gone after 2007 a trade clearly is a gain for 2008 and beyond, but it blows a big hole in an already shaky OL and the prospects for 2007.

We shall see if watching whomever might be drafted with the pick Faneca brings on special teans during a 7-9 season this fall will turn out to be universally hailed as "the only smart move to be made." It is a tough call no matter which choice is made and no move regarding Faneca is clearly the only correct move here.

If we are gonna go 7-9 in 07...and faneca isnt a part of our future....then why isnt trading faneca the smart move?

If we are gonna go 7-9 without faneca .... what are we with him.... how many wins is Alan really worth??

I cant imagine why some would want to keep a guy that is only gonna be here for one more season....and then get nada in return

Puzzling?????

Atlanta Dan
04-24-2007, 02:49 PM
If we are gonna go 7-9 in 07...and faneca isnt a part of our future....then why isnt trading faneca the smart move?

If we are gonna go 7-9 without faneca .... what are we with him.... how many wins is Alan really worth??

I cant imagine why some would want to keep a guy that is only gonna be here for one more season....and then get nada in return

Puzzling?????

My point was as follows - whomever the Steelers draft with whatever pick they might get for a traded Faneca will not contribute nearly as much to the team as Faneca will in 2007. The contributions that will be lost from Faneca, both on and off the field, will make the Steelers a less competitive team in 2007 and those lost contributions could be the difference in having a winning record and maybe making the playoffs.

Of course if Faneca is gone in 2008 whatever the draft pick his trade this year might bring will contribute more in 2008 and beyond than Faneca will. How much is of course unknown.

So it is a cost/benefit analysis and trading Faneca has both, which to me means the choice to get by this Saturday whatever they can for Faneca is not the only defensible choice. I suppose it depends how much you are a fan of deferred gratification and long term as opposed to short term gain.

But if you think 2007 is going to be a lost year regardless of whether or not Faneca stays then, under those circumstances, I agree Faneca should be moved now.

DACEB
04-24-2007, 03:17 PM
My point was as follows - whomever the Steelers draft with whatever pick they might get for a traded Faneca will not contribute nearly as much to the team as Faneca will in 2007..

How can you be so certain about that? Clearly no one thought Big Ben would be as successful as he was his rookie year, definetely not Faneca.

But if you think 2007 is going to be a lost year regardless of whether or not Faneca stays then, under those circumstances, I agree Faneca should be moved now.

It's not a matter of 2007 being a lost year, the question needs to be asked, how many wins will Faneca get us. No one even knows if he will hold out, if that happens the answer is simple.

You cannot let the inmates run the asylum!

Jeremy
04-24-2007, 03:21 PM
Not at all...I am pointing out that a team apparently so strapped for cap space spen their few available dollars for a guy that plays Faneca's position....that doesnt seem odd to you??

He also plays center.....that's why.

Atlanta Dan
04-24-2007, 03:35 PM
How can you be so certain about that? Clearly no one thought Big Ben would be as successful as he was his rookie year, definetely not Faneca.

It's not a matter of 2007 being a lost year, the question needs to be asked, how many wins will Faneca get us. No one even knows if he will hold out, if that happens the answer is simple.

You cannot let the inmates run the asylum!

Faneca is on the downside of his career buit he is still one of top OL in the league and better right now than any likely pick will be for this year.

There is nothing that is absolutely certain or absolutely simple here - whomever the Steelers would draft with the pick they would get for Faneca might be immediate HOF level, but whomver the Steelers would draft might also tear up his knee in training camp and never play a down. All I am saying is that it is extraordinarily probable the Steelers will be a better team in 2007 with Faneca than without him but that since Faneca probably is gone after 2007 whatever they would get for him this year will add less to the team than Faneca in 2007 but more to the team after this year.

How much better the Steelers will be with Faneca this year is the question Colbert & Co. are asking themselves right now as they ponder whether to trade him. It has nothing to do with showing anyone who is the warden and who is the inmate - it is strictly business.

Jeremy
04-24-2007, 03:52 PM
What I love is how willing some people are to throw the guy under the bus. He's been a great Steeler and will go down as one the best offensive lineman the Steelers have ever had. The guy deserves to get paid...period.

And spare me the Ben needs to get paid too because I am not sold on him after he tossed a Hall of Fame coach under the bus to make himself look better.

coachspeak33
04-24-2007, 11:20 PM
What I love is how willing some people are to throw the guy under the bus. He's been a great Steeler and will go down as one the best offensive lineman the Steelers have ever had. The guy deserves to get paid...period.

And spare me the Ben needs to get paid too because I am not sold on him after he tossed a Hall of Fame coach under the bus to make himself look better.

If I had it my way the steelers would never have to lose any of their good players via FA...but the reality of it is that you cant always keep your players...sometimes the financial aspect of the "business" wont allow it...

Faneca appears to be the latest "Steeler Great" to fall victom to it...
After that reality is taken in consideration....
along with his age...
the salaries of his fellow Guards throughout the league...
Troy's contract...
Bens contract...
oh and dont forget that they only added 1 pro player to the roster and he plays G (he also started a handful of games at C, but G in the past has been his primary position)...
and our current salary cap screaming for young and inexpensive (a personal rooney favorite) talent

Add all of it up and the smart move IMO is to move him while he still remains our property and is somewhat tradeable...

If Colbert jerks around and come Saturday evening still has done nothing with #66 the steelers are gonna take it up the tailpipe cause if they sign Alan, Troys future in Pittsburgh immediately comes into question...

I cant imagine any avid Steeler fan will stand up and applaud that decision making

fansince'76
04-24-2007, 11:35 PM

Faneca's words and actions over the last couple of months have pissed me off big time. However, if he was just an average O-lineman, I wouldn't have cared less. In other words, I'm gonna miss him and his loss is gonna sting. I don't see much difference between "tossing a HoF coach under the bus" and pouting over who the Rooneys hired to replace him.

Jeremy
04-24-2007, 11:40 PM
Faneca's words and actions over the last couple of months have pissed me off big time. However, if he was just an average O-lineman, I wouldn't have cared less. In other words, I'm gonna miss him and his loss is gonna sting. I don't see much difference between "tossing a HoF coach under the bus" and pouting over who the Rooneys hired to replace him.

6 Pro Bowls is the difference.

fansince'76
04-24-2007, 11:46 PM

So multiple Pro Bowl appearances allow a player to publicly second-guess a team president that has been in the business almost twice as long as the player has been alive? Interesting.

DACEB
04-25-2007, 08:31 AM
If I had it my way the steelers would never have to lose any of their good players via FA...but the reality of it is that you cant always keep your players...sometimes the financial aspect of the "business" wont allow it.

Exactly, I don't believe anyone is throwing Faneca under the bus whether they disagree with his comments or actions or not. The simple fact is that at some point you need to do what's right for business. Now I have mentioned before that I would love to see the FO trim some of the fat we have on the roster. Maybe that would allow us to keep Faneca, my guess is it's probably too late for that. If that is not possible then what would you rather have at this point, a 3rd round compensatory pick next year or the possibilities of picks a trade would bring. Not to mention the salary cap relief.

Is it possible that if Faneca is traded we suffer on the O-line, of course it would seem highly likely. But it is also possible that without him the O-line could play just as well or better than last year , which is'nt saying much. If we lose Faneca and the O-line plays better noone will question the move. If we keep Faneca and the O-line plays the same as last season will he bare some of the blame. Afterall where was his strong leadership last season when Ben was on his back so often, or when FWP could not even muster a 50yd game.

As far as the inmates and the warden go. There can be many team leaders but they MUST share the phylosophy of the coach. There can be only one warden, coach Tomlin.

coachspeak33
04-25-2007, 08:41 AM

pro bowls or not...its business...and right now the business should dictate that the FO moves Faneca....our cap isnt gonna allow him to be paid what other teams will...our FO knows that....Obviously Faneca knows that....this little pisssin contest is all ver nothing....the odds are stacked heavily against him p;laying in Pittsburgh beyond 07....

On the other hand if he is signed we are in trouble in the future....to cite a recent example try the Titans after their run early in the late 90's and early 00's....not exactly a fun ride

SteelersTilIDie
04-25-2007, 04:01 PM
They should trade Alen Faneca to the Arizona Cardinals for two second rounders or their first and a third. I say this because Faneca will be leaving next year via free agency anyway, and I would wrather trade him and get something back than just let him go to arizona anyway. Kevin Colbert says that he is not going to be traded, but that is just so the media will get off his back, and because it's early.

ben2hines=6
04-25-2007, 04:23 PM
say if we do trade faneca to the cards and swap 1st rounders that we couldnt trade outta that pick too??? if quinn drops past the browns then that pick could get us even more draft picks from other teams...just a thought.......that and there is nothing anybody can say bad about fancea....football is a business and right now players at his position are geting PAID...plain and simple go get ur money big guy

Preacher
04-25-2007, 04:34 PM

Nope.

In the same way, a highly skilled worker who makes a lot of money for the boss still doesn't hve the right to be insubordinate with his boss... He still should, and in many workplaces would be fired.

Know your place Faneca... You WORK for your boss... Respect him.

When Faneca OWNS a team or COACHES a team... then he will have the right to speak about the owner or coach... or other players.

coachspeak33
04-26-2007, 09:29 AM
Nope.

In the same way, a highly skilled worker who makes a lot of money for the boss still doesn't hve the right to be insubordinate with his boss... He still should, and in many workplaces would be fired.

Know your place Faneca... You WORK for your boss... Respect him.

When Faneca OWNS a team or COACHES a team... then he will have the right to speak about the owner or coach... or other players.

Your point is well taken and I agree with much of what you say...

But, to me its about leverage and supply/demand....
right now the market places a high demand on elite play at the guard position...
Faneca is a guy who can supply that level of play...
This is how it works in the NFL, unfortunately, due in large part to non-guaranteed contracts...
Faneca's risk of injury in the final year of a contract...
for a team that he feels undervalues him kinda forces him at an offseason of posturing...

thats probably what he sees anyway...

think about it ... if your faneca this is the summer you want to be a free agent....

49 million to Dockery...WOW!!!

Preacher
04-28-2007, 04:31 AM
Your point is well taken and I agree with much of what you say...

But, to me its about leverage and supply/demand....
right now the market places a high demand on elite play at the guard position...
Faneca is a guy who can supply that level of play...
This is how it works in the NFL, unfortunately, due in large part to non-guaranteed contracts...
Faneca's risk of injury in the final year of a contract...
for a team that he feels undervalues him kinda forces him at an offseason of posturing...

thats probably what he sees anyway...

think about it ... if your faneca this is the summer you want to be a free agent....

49 million to Dockery...WOW!!!

Your right in the free market issue...

However, that is also blunted by being under contract. Faneca took a risk by signing for the contract at the length he did...which at that time I am sure he was probably happy for. However, even if there are problems... what I DON'T like is the snipes in the media. Now, I keep it in perspective. Terrel Owens he is NOT...

but still... if it needs to be, keep it in house. Ward was the perfect example. He was at a business disagreement.. but kept it in house... All I remember him saying was stuff like... this is the business side of football. I love Pitt.. I want to play there... etc.

But who knows... it could be that Faneca has tried to push for it inhouse... and the words that would usually go up to the owner through Cowher are not through Tomlin.

In the end, all I can say is... thank goodness I don't have deal with it first hand... and instead can be upset if he goes... OR if he stays... I like being a fan.

steelafan
04-28-2007, 03:22 PM
Yo

but still... if it needs to be, keep it in house. Ward was the perfect example. He was at a business disagreement.. but kept it in house... All I remember him saying was stuff like... this is the business side of football. I love Pitt.. I want to play there... etc.

But who knows... it could be that Faneca has tried to push for it inhouse... and the words that would usually go up to the owner through Cowher are not through Tomlin.

In the end, all I can say is... thank goodness I don't have deal with it first hand... and instead can be upset if he goes... OR if he stays... I like being a fan.

I'm not sure I understand. Faneca has said nothing about his contract to the media. In fact he has gone out of his way to NOT say anything. In what way has he not "kept it in house"?