PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin talking about 4/3 vs 3/4

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
04-24-2007, 12:50 AM
Was watching the "uncut" version of the pre-draft press conference on the KDKA site and Tomlin was talking about the 3/4 vs 4/3. It went like this....

"In todays NFL the lines are getting somewhat blurry specifically if your talking about a 3/4 vs a 4/3. The issue in my opinion is whether or not their a two gap front or a one gap front. There are some 3/4 teams that are a one gap front there are some 3/4 teams that are a two gap front. The 3/4 teams that are a one gap front play very similar to the 4/3 teams." :huh:

The guy actually said all that with a straight face. He had me so :confused: I'm sure there is a method to that madness but here are my thoughts..... if it works on the field and we win game then I'm okay with it.

Anyway the reporters started fishing around (as usual) for inside draft info and one of the reporters mentioned Darrell Revis' name and 'ole Tomlin lit up like a Christmas tree. Looks like he'd like to get his hands on that kid. Kevin Colbert even made a comment about how Tomlin lit up when his name was mentioned and to stop giving away the draft secrets.

Will be interesting to see who our first pick will be. :cheers: The draft is just another step closer to opening day. :tt02:

Sharkissle29
04-24-2007, 01:01 AM
i dunno if i would think much of tomlin lighting up after Revis' name was mentioned.....could be a little draft decoy :)...haha but you never know

RoethlisBURGHer
04-24-2007, 01:07 AM
Remember,Tomlin was the DB coach in Tampa Bay when they won the Super Bowl.The guy is a defense and DB guy.If he could get Ike to play like he did in 2005 and have Revis playing excellent at the same time...plus Troy and Smith at saftey...we'd probally have the ebst defensive backfield in the league.

jjpro11
04-24-2007, 01:18 AM
Was watching the "uncut" version of the pre-draft press conference on the KDKA site and Tomlin was talking about the 3/4 vs 4/3. It went like this....

"In todays NFL the lines are getting somewhat blurry specifically if your talking about a 3/4 vs a 4/3. The issue in my opinion is whether or not their a two gap front or a one gap front. There are some 3/4 teams that are a one gap front there are some 3/4 teams that are a two gap front. The 3/4 teams that are a one gap front play very similar to the 4/3 teams." :huh:

The guy actually said all that with a straight face. He had me so :confused: I'm sure there is a method to that madness but here are my thoughts..... if it works on the field and we win game then I'm okay with it.

Anyway the reporters started fishing around (as usual) for inside draft info and one of the reporters mentioned Darrell Revis' name and 'ole Tomlin lit up like a Christmas tree. Looks like he'd like to get his hands on that kid. Kevin Colbert even made a comment about how Tomlin lit up when his name was mentioned and to stop giving away the draft secrets.

Will be interesting to see who our first pick will be. :cheers: The draft is just another step closer to opening day. :tt02:

little word of advice about pre-draft talk.. if a coach "loves" a player.. he's not drafting him.

abgroove
04-24-2007, 07:31 AM
If we get Ike to play like he did in 2005, we won't need Revis. We can use our first pick to address a more pressing need.... like LB, OT, C

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-24-2007, 07:40 AM
I guess the question still remains as to if he is thinking about switching to a Tampa-2 defense....His interest in Revis isnt very telling since Revis can play Man and Zone.

In a Pass Defense:
The Tampa 2 is a variation of the Cover 2 formation in which all pass responsibilities are zone coverage (instead of Man-to-man). Zone coverage is where players are assigned an area on the field which they are to cover:

The safeties and middle linebacker cover the deep third: areas of the field usually extending from about 15 yards beyond the line of scrimmage to the endzone, divided into thirds by the middle of the field). The middle linebacker drops into deep coverage, making what first looks like a Cover 2 into a Cover 3.
The cornerbacks cover the flats: the area of the field extending about 15 yards from the line of scrimmage, and from the last man on the offensive line to the sideline.
Outside linebackers cover the box: the two outside linebackers split the middle of the field consisting of the area within 15 yards of the line of scrimmage and in between the two flats into halves.

In a Run defense:
To defend running plays, the Tampa 2 is a single gap defense where each player is responsible to defend his own gap. The assigned gap changes with game conditions and personnel.

Typically this style of defense utilizes smaller but faster linemen and linebackers with above average speed. Also the defensive backs must be above average hitters as well.

moedap
04-24-2007, 07:57 AM
"In todays NFL the lines are getting somewhat blurry specifically if your talking about a 3/4 vs a 4/3. The issue in my opinion is whether or not their a two gap front or a one gap front. There are some 3/4 teams that are a one gap front there are some 3/4 teams that are a two gap front. The 3/4 teams that are a one gap front play very similar to the 4/3 teams."

We must play a 2 gap front b/c when teams have taking advantage of us on the run(which happens as often as a leap year) the A gaps is where they took advantage.

Buzz05
04-24-2007, 08:21 AM
Revis would be a nice addition to the backfield. But what about McFadden, Deshae, and ****ley? Its seems that we already are full at that position. Unless maybe some draft wheeling and dealing for extra picks...

I just have this feeling we will end up with a LB. Whether it be Poz, Timmons, or Carriker..But if we end up with Revis its not like there will be a drop in talent. Either one would be a good pick

coachspeak33
04-24-2007, 08:39 AM
Carriker reminds me so much of a young Aaron Smith... Carriker, however, might be able to stand up along the line of scrimmage, ala Jason Taylor in Miami....The Bungles did this a bit with David Pollack before his neck injury.

Carriker seems like the logical fit for the steelers...primarily because he is versatile, which is good for a team that has very little idea what defense it will be playing in 2-3 yrs.

Carriker is a guy that could fit in well with SF and with Alan Branch's stock sliding a bit...Carriker is a guy they might take a look at

coachspeak33
04-24-2007, 08:40 AM
Pozluzny is another with versatility whose attributes could translate to a 3-4 or 4-3:

SteelerMurf
04-24-2007, 12:37 PM
If we get Ike to play like he did in 2005, we won't need Revis. We can use our first pick to address a more pressing need.... like LB, OT, C

Please take a look at the rest of our corners. In today's NFL you need 3 good corners. So McFadden is good and Townsend has one foot in a retirement home and Coke has never panned out.

I would say Corner is right after OLB in terms of team needs over this and next seasons. And Guard would probably be before OT. Faneca will be gone next year and Simmons may too as he becomes a FA.

The Duke
04-24-2007, 03:44 PM
[QUOTE=SteelerMurf;240654]Please take a look at the rest of our corners. In today's NFL you need 3 good corners. So McFadden is good and Townsend has one foot in a retirement home and Coke has never panned out.

Agree, taylor and mcfadden are the future right now, but that 3rd corner could also come in a good second day in the draft just like taylor