PDA

View Full Version : Cowher May Never Coach Again

tony hipchest
04-24-2007, 12:18 AM
do i believe this? hes happy now, but regardless his words have just earned him atleast another $250,000/ (maybe a mil) year with his new club. the price will definitely stay high for his services.
all i know, is i would say some pretty crazy things about my own momma for $250,000 (or so) a year.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07113/780259-66.stm

Cowher content with his new life
Monday, April 23, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Bill Cowher will not have a say in the Steelers' draft for the first time in 16 years, although he will be close by this week.

Cowher will arrive in Pittsburgh tomorrow from his home in Raleigh, N.C., to take care of some business capped Friday night when he receives the History Makers Award for Leadership at the Westin Convention Center Hotel. The award is presented by the Senator John Heinz History Center.

By the time the draft starts at noon Saturday, Cowher will be on his way back to Raleigh. And, no, he has not been asked for any advice about prospects by his former co-workers with the Steelers.

"No. Are you kidding me?" he asked.

The former Steelers coach does not know what he will do with himself when the draft starts Saturday without him for the first time since he entered NFL coaching in 1985 with the Cleveland Browns. He'll either watch on TV or travel to Charlotte, N.C., where his youngest daughter, Lindsay, will compete in an AAU basketball tournament.

Life is good these days for Cowher, who resigned as coach of the Steelers after last season. So good, in fact, that he said he could envision never coaching again.

"I'm staying very open-minded," said Cowher, who turns 50 May 8. "I never want to say never because that can come back and haunt you. But I can foresee not coming back ever. I just won't etch it in stone."

He has discovered that after nearly four months away from the game, he does not miss it yet and is happy with his decision to step away from football.

"I'm very happy," Cowher said. "I don't second-guess it at all. I guess it has reaffirmed more than anything, being down here. I still haven't experienced a whole season or August when training camp's going on. But I feel great.

"I have really enjoyed spending time with Kaye and Lindsay. It's been good, you know? I realized it was much needed after I got down here. I didn't know what it would entail, didn't know what you're going to do. I can honestly say it's gone much smoother than I anticipated."

Cowher, an incessant racquetball player, has found some new partners in Raleigh, although they are working stiffs so they play at 6:30 a.m. three times a week. On days he's not playing, he drives Lindsay to school. He plays golf.

"What do I do during the day? I don't know. Every day is different. My wife and I are doing things we haven't done before, and we're actually getting along doing it. We went to Charleston, S.C. and Beaufort, S.C., which was really kind of neat."

He has talked to Dan Rooney to congratulate him on his Dapper Dan Lifetime Achievement Award, and to his former partner in the draft, Kevin Colbert, the Steelers' director of football operations, but little about football.

"I saw some of the mock drafts, I've kept up with it a little bit," Cowher said. "I might watch it, or I might fly down to Charlotte.

"I guess I feel no different now than the day I retired. It's been good. The weather's been good."

Will he return to coach in a year or two, as many have speculated?

"I don't have any plans right now, honestly," Cowher said. "I'm looking forward to the fall and doing the thing with CBS. It's not going to take up a lot of time."

And that's something Cowher has plenty of these days.

fansince'76
04-24-2007, 12:23 AM
I wonder if he'll pull a Vermeil and just take a very long (17 years?) sabbatical from the NFL coaching grind. He has the same type of wearing-his-heart-on-his-sleeve personality as Vermeil.

tony hipchest
04-24-2007, 12:33 AM
I wonder if he'll pull a Vermeil and just take a very long (17 years?) sabbatical from the NFL coaching grind. He has the same type of wearing-his-heart-on-his-sleeve personality as Vermeil.hmmm. that really isnt that far fetched. he will get bored and the bank account could start to dwindle. he could give it up for good, and after 5 years be offered a deal like vermiel, or gibbs, and decide hes got that itch back.

i still think hes back within 2 years, and anything he says regarding his current happines and being content, just raises the asking price.

RoethlisBURGHer
04-24-2007, 12:39 AM
He'll be the head coach and GM of the Cleveland Clowns after they tank this year.

He was handed a good team when he became Steelers HC in 1992.I think he'd be too intruiged to not take the chance to turn around one of the worst orginizations in football.

fansince'76
04-24-2007, 12:40 AM
i still think hes back within 2 years, and anything he says regarding his current happines and being content, just raises the asking price.

I agree - that snooty wife of his might drive him nuts too, especially after his youngest is finally out of the house. Yeesh. :willy:

Preacher
04-24-2007, 12:41 AM
I agree - that snooty wife of his might drive him nuts too, especially after his youngest is finally out of the house. Yeesh. :willy:

ROTFL...

tony hipchest
04-24-2007, 12:46 AM

yeah, him hanging with the missuz isnt gonna last too long once the final chick leaves the nest-

"What do I do during the day? I don't know. Every day is different. My wife and I are doing things we haven't done before, and we're actually getting along doing it. We went to Charleston, S.C. and Beaufort, S.C., which was really kind of neat."

doing stuff with the wife is "kind of neat"? LMAO. dont worry bill. a coaching seat awaits you when that shit isnt quite as "kinda neat" :sofunny:

his words definitely make more dollars with his potential suitors, than it does score points with the wife.

fansince'76
04-24-2007, 12:57 AM
yeah, him hanging with the missuz isnt gonna last too long once the final chick leaves the nest-

doing stuff with the wife is "kind of neat"? LMAO. dont worry bill. a coaching seat awaits you when that shit isnt quite as "kinda neat" :sofunny:

his words definitely make more dollars with his potential suitors, than it does score points with the wife.

They do seem to be quite the mismatch personality-wise - kinda like a marriage between Ed Norton and Leona Helmsley would be. I wonder if she's always been like that, or just became a snob after they got rich? If she's always been like that, I don't see how they got together in the first place. I'll never forget her comment about getting the "Pittsburgh accent" outta Bill.

Preacher
04-24-2007, 01:23 AM
Hey...

as long as she was able to take care of the house so that he could coach for 15 years....

I am not going to complain.

Buzz05
04-24-2007, 07:16 AM
They do seem to be quite the mismatch personality-wise - kinda like a marriage between Ed Norton and Leona Helmsley would be. I wonder if she's always been like that, or just became a snob after they got rich? If she's always been like that, I don't see how they got together in the first place. I'll never forget her comment about getting the "Pittsburgh accent" outta Bill.

Hmmm I never knew she was a snob. I guess I never really paid that much attention to her.

And whats wrong with the Pittsburgh Accent? Huh Kay?

coachspeak33
04-24-2007, 08:06 AM
I think there is absolutely ZERO chance he comes back to coach the Brownies....I reside in Brownstown and people outside of this place have very little idea as to just how F'd up that whole organization is.
They draft talented players who happen to be underacheivers on sundays and morons the other 6 days of the week.
They have yet to acquire a legitimate QB since 1985 and Bill knows all too well about the need for a true franchise QB.
They had an outbreak of staph infection throughout their facility for christs sake.
I dont know if the team is run and operated by the Lerner family or the Manson Family.
Bill is not gonna come back to rebuild...hes gonna come back to a place were he has an immediate chance at a SB win....Cleveland aint that place

HometownGal
04-24-2007, 06:46 PM
I say The Chin stays put until his youngest daughter graduates. Of course he's going to say he is "happy and content" - Kay would open up a can of whoop a$$ on him if he said anything else. :boxing:

Atlanta Dan
04-24-2007, 07:03 PM
So far it is just the offseason - when the games start is when he will miss it.

I think the deal he cut with his wife is he stays home until the last daughter goes to college. After two of years of watching games from the CBS studios he will then be ready to cash in.

In the interim, doesn't sound like Cowher is going to be the second coming of Jaworski and breaking down lots of game film to prepare for his CBS gig if his comment about that easy payday "not taking up a lot of time" is any indication.:smile:

Cowher has the luxury of being able to chill as he goes through his midlife crisis - he has earned that luxury and I am glad to see he is taking a break.

Preacher
04-25-2007, 12:34 AM
So far it is just the offseason - when the games start is when he will miss it.

I think the deal he cut with his wife is he stays home until the last daughter goes to college. After two of years of watching games from the CBS studios he will then be ready to cash in.

In the interim, doesn't sound like Cowher is going to be the second coming of Jaworski and breaking down lots of game film to prepare for his CBS gig if his comment about that easy payday "not taking up a lot of time" is any indication.:smile:

Cowher has the luxury of being able to chill as he goes through his midlife crisis - he has earned that luxury and I am glad to see he is taking a break.

Yep.

Steel Pit
04-25-2007, 05:33 AM
Reality check, NEWS FLASH! Bill Cowher has retired from the Steelers organization which means that HE'S GONE. Does anyone really give a sheet what he might do in the future?

Maybe we should have a weekly Bill Cowher thread titled, "Where is Bill now". I just don't understand why some of you continue to discuss this STALE topic. WHO CARES WHAT COWHER'S DOING! We have a new head coach, his name is Mike Tomlin. Learn it, love it.

Is this just a case of people tossing up predictions so they can later say "I told you so"? Well you won't get any kudos by predicting that Cowher will someday coach again. That's like predicting that he'll eat lunch sometime this week, duh.

Now if you happen to predict something along these lines... Bill Belichick fired, Bill Cowher takes over the New England Patriots after week 2 of the 2007 season. If something like that were to happen and you predicted it, THEN YOU ARE THE MAN!

tony hipchest
04-26-2007, 09:25 AM
Reality check, NEWS FLASH! Bill Cowher has retired from the Steelers organization which means that HE'S GONE. Does anyone really give a sheet what he might do in the future?

Maybe we should have a weekly Bill Cowher thread titled, "Where is Bill now". I just don't understand why some of you continue to discuss this STALE topic. WHO CARES WHAT COWHER'S DOING! We have a new head coach, his name is Mike Tomlin. Learn it, love it.

!i just heard a nice interview with steelers #1 pick overall in 1942, "bullet" bill dudley. its a shame that by your decree we shouldnt be discussing steelers who have retired or are gone.

maybe theres a forum out there where one can discuss steelers, past and present, without people getting bent... oh wait, this is it. Steelersfever!

Atlanta Dan
04-26-2007, 01:40 PM

Is this just a case of people tossing up predictions so they can later say "I told you so"? Well you won't get any kudos by predicting that Cowher will someday coach again. That's like predicting that he'll eat lunch sometime this week, duh.

Now if you happen to predict something along these lines... Bill Belichick fired, Bill Cowher takes over the New England Patriots after week 2 of the 2007 season. If something like that were to happen and you predicted it, THEN YOU ARE THE MAN!

If you do not want to read the thread then don't read it. Not reading certain threads and putting posters whom you think contribute nothing of value to the ignore list might merit your consideration.

Elvis
04-26-2007, 04:19 PM
This story has Blast Furnace written All Over It....:wave:

polamalufan43
04-26-2007, 07:08 PM
Well, I'd love to see him coach again, but if chooses otherwise, then I don't have a problem with it either. Although I will still mourn the loss for a few years, I guess it's ok... lol jk jk, well, not reallly, lol

~Polamalufan43:tt02: