PDA

View Full Version : David Halberstam R.I.P.

Atlanta Dan
04-24-2007, 02:33 PM
One of my favorite writers, David Halberstam, who wrote on the big political issues of his time and also brought his talents to a number of sports books (Breaks of the Game, Summer of '49) was killed in a traffic accident yesterday. Although I do not recall Mr. Halberstam ever having written a book about football, he was killed while being driven to an interview with Y.A. Tittle while working a book on the 1958 Colts-Giants title game, which arguably was the event that launched pro football into the big time.

Prior to its current cartoonish version, Mr. Halberstam regularly contributed to ESPN.com Page 2. If you want to read an insightful article on keeping sports in perspective in these troubled times, I would recommend the following article, which was written on the first anniversary of 9-11, that ESPN.com links to today in its tribute to Mr. Halberstam. In that article, he wrote:

In truth, our lives are what we make of them. We work hard and, at the end of the day, in a world that is often mundane, the ability to watch one or two sports games a week is a kind of blessing, a relief from what is often a difficult routine. But if we want any kind of real emotional balance, we must get it from our loved ones, family, friends, co-workers

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/halberstam/020911.html

Cape Cod Steel Head
04-24-2007, 04:21 PM
One of my favorites as well. Fortunately I had the chance to meet the man over on Nantucket. R.I.P. David

HometownGal
04-24-2007, 08:24 PM
I was so sorry to hear of Mr. Halberstam's tragic death - he was a great author.

October Nineteen Sixty-Four and The Children were two excellent books authored by him.

Rest in peace, Mr. Halberstam - you are truly a legend in your own right. :tombstone