PDA

View Full Version : more news on Faneca

19ward86
04-24-2007, 08:28 PM
ive been watching espn all day and it seems that faneca asked for a trade, i think he wants to be traded before he gets a year older and becomes worth less money. could plan by him. the coaches said that they will try to trade him by this weekend. i think the steelers need to get an offensive tackle like levi brown and with the 15th pick get someone like paul poslouszny or dwayne jarret.

Atlanta Dan
04-24-2007, 08:48 PM
ive been watching espn all day and it seems that faneca asked for a trade, i think he wants to be traded before he gets a year older and becomes worth less money. could plan by him. the coaches said that they will try to trade him by this weekend. i think the steelers need to get an offensive tackle like levi brown and with the 15th pick get someone like paul poslouszny or dwayne jarret.

Reported by whom on ESPN? Former 'Burghers Clayton and Lennie P. had good Steelers sources during the Cowher era but I think those sources have left town.

MACH1
04-24-2007, 08:53 PM
That sucks...
At least we'll get something in return unlike joey.

tony hipchest
04-24-2007, 09:04 PM
i wonder what detroits cap situation is? everyone talks about faneca to arizont but im sure colbert could work a deal with detroit (they need any line help they can get) and if they trade down from their #2 pick for gaines adams, who they supposedly covet, they will have a buttload of #2"s.2. Detroit: Gaines Adams, DE, Clemson -- As soon as the Raiders pass on Calvin Johnson, this pick will increase in value for the Lions. They will entertain trade calls, most likely from Tampa Bay and Atlanta. Detroit could move down to No. 4 and still get Gaines Adams, or they could go to No. 8 and take Patrick Willis or Jamaal Anderson -- and still have pick Nos. 39 and 44 from Atlanta to go along with Nos. 39 and 66 to build up their roster. A QB like Trent Edwards would be a good fit in the second round, as well as a CB like Marcus McCauley and a safety. ignore the typo with 2 picks at NO. 39- they still will have a grip of picks to trade.

verks36
04-24-2007, 09:04 PM
In the deal we must definitely need another first rounder

Atlanta Dan
04-24-2007, 09:19 PM
While anyone would obviously like to make more $$$, my bet is Faneca is set for life financially so more $$$ alone may not be prompting any request by him to get out ASAP.

So if he wants traded now, one concern I have is that Faneca may have sized this team up and concluded after recent changes it definitely is not a SB contender and probably is not even a playoff team. In which case, he may have concluded he might as well cash in now rather than have a front row seat to a re-run of the train wreck that was Steelers 2006 while waiting to get his next payday starting in 2008.

GBMelBlount
04-24-2007, 09:27 PM
While anyone would obviously like to make more $$$, my bet is Faneca is set for life financially so more $$$ alone may not be prompting any request by him to get out ASAP.

So if he wants traded now, one concern I have is that Faneca may have sized this team up and concluded after recent changes it definitely is not a SB contender and probably is not even a playoff team. In which case, he may have concluded he might as well cash in now rather than have a front row seat to a re-run of the train wreck that was Steelers 2006 while waiting to get his next payday starting in 2008.

Though may be "rich," I still think it is money.

TackleMeBen
04-24-2007, 10:26 PM
i wonder what detroits cap situation is? everyone talks about faneca to arizont but im sure colbert could work a deal with detroit (they need any line help they can get) and if they trade down from their #2 pick for gaines adams, who they supposedly covet, they will have a buttload of #2"s. ignore the typo with 2 picks at NO. 39- they still will have a grip of picks to trade.

Why would anyone want to come and play in Detroit for MIllen.. I mean my 8 year daughter could run that team better than he does..

tony hipchest
04-24-2007, 10:35 PM
Why would anyone want to come and play in Detroit for MIllen.. I mean my 8 year daughter could run that team better than he does..the real question is, why anyone wouldnt want to show up and get ready to play for the steelers. i could care less where faneca wants to play if he gets us 2 high 2nds and a 3rd (steelers own his contract. he goes to where we send him. its up to him to threaten not to play).. the writing is still on the wall in graffiti sized letters regarding porter. dont think faneca hasnt read it.

The Duke
04-24-2007, 10:40 PM
In the deal we must definitely need another first rounder

Yeah, and Faneca is worth it. That way we draft a good offensive lineman and address what is most needed in defense.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-24-2007, 10:51 PM
I still say we draft defense first and then try to fill the hole for fenaca........
It will be a big downgrade on our line unless the whiz will take fenaca and our second round pick for his 1st round pick

Big7BenHOF
04-24-2007, 11:14 PM
I honestly don't think Detroit would give up their pick that easily.

RoethlisBURGHer
04-24-2007, 11:33 PM
I don't see Detroit giving up thier pick for an aging offensive lineman,thier pick holds too much value.

Arizona has the cap room to give Faneca the kind of contract he wants,his good buddy Russ Grimm is the o-line coach there.I think even if he hit the free agent market,he'd sign with Arizona for a little less money than others offered just to be reunited with Grimm.

Does he have a no-trade clause in his contract?If so,then he basicly controls where he goes.

Also,I doubt anyone will give up thier first rounder for him,even though he's worth a first and second.I'd be happy with a second rounder this year and a second rounder next year for him.It's better than getting a third round compensation pick after he leaves via free agency.

coachspeak33
04-24-2007, 11:39 PM
i wonder what detroits cap situation is? everyone talks about faneca to arizont but im sure colbert could work a deal with detroit (they need any line help they can get) and if they trade down from their #2 pick for gaines adams, who they supposedly covet, they will have a buttload of #2"s. ignore the typo with 2 picks at NO. 39- they still will have a grip of picks to trade.

This might be a legitimate option for Colbert because the Rooneys dont want to trade for a top 10 pick IMO...
Their plethora of 2nd and 3rd rounders is another story, however...

This is something that would allow the steelers to get a few guys off that list you posted on another thread, Mr. Hipchest...

Faneca for Detroit's 2nd, 3rd, and a 2nd next season??? (hell that is like a late 1st rounder...where the steelers like to draft...nice players but no big bonus $$$$)

tony hipchest
04-24-2007, 11:44 PM
I don't see Detroit giving up thier pick for an aging offensive lineman,thier pick holds too much value.

.as weve seen with the drafting of j. harrington, c. rogers, k. jones, and m. williams.

i absolutely guarantee you if you went to the lions tomorrow with rogers, williams and harrington in one hand and faneca in the other and asked them who they want, they would choose faneca.

if the lions could have colbert choose their picks they would gladly do so. (last time they were in contention for anything, colbert was calling the shots.)

steel#1
04-24-2007, 11:49 PM
I've seen the same reports on ESPN. Personally I think it's just speculation on their part. I doubt very much we see Faneca go anywhere, they already paid him a roster bonus of a million dollars about a month ago. He's just jockeying for position for his next contract.. He is negotiating before training camp, the Steelers are just waiting til after the draft so they can see how they can fit everybody under the cap. At least I hope so, the last thing we need is another hole to fill and another leader to replace.

jjpro11
04-25-2007, 01:15 AM
detroit wants picks, not aging players.. and we dont want to pay a #2 pick salary.. so get that out of your heads. our line would go to sh*t without faneca, ben would get tired of getting killed every play, and be more than willing to leave at the end of his current contract. then we are stuck looking for the next franchise qb all over again. it took over 20 years to find the next franchise qb after terry, i dont want to go through that process again.

tony hipchest
04-25-2007, 01:32 AM
geez people. i shouldnt have to spell this out but theres a difference between THE #2 and #2's (plural).

detroit can barely pick their nose. i dont see why they are eagerly seeking more picks rather than a proven commodity (especially considering they are probably gonna pass on a franchise qb for the 2nd year in a row and the #1 lineman off the board).

again... 2 two's, not THE #2. lets not complicate this.

Livinginthe past
04-25-2007, 01:56 AM
geez people. i shouldnt have to spell this out but theres a difference between THE #2 and #2's (plural).

detroit can barely pick their nose. i dont see why they are eagerly seeking more picks rather than a proven commodity (especially considering they are probably gonna pass on a franchise qb for the 2nd year in a row and the #1 lineman off the board).

So you're saying that the Steelers could then draft Calvin Johnson?

:sofunny:

tony hipchest
04-25-2007, 02:06 AM
So you're saying that the Steelers could then draft Calvin Johnson?
:sofunny:

exactly

:dang: :dang: :dang:

Buzz05
04-25-2007, 07:58 AM
Ok, lets say Faneca is traded for a 2nd and 3rd rounder this year and a 2nd rounder next year. Does anyone have any idea who we could look at for this year's 2nd rounder. After all its basically like a late first rounder anyway.

coachspeak33
04-25-2007, 08:26 AM
Anthony Gonzo - WR-OSU
Spencer-OLB-Purdue
Johnson-OLB-Georgia
Sears-OL-Tenn
Khalil-C-USC
Smith-WR-USC
Woodley-OLB/DE-Michigan
Houston-CB-Arkansas

just a few possibilities.....
would be nice to have their 2nd rounder....gives us more freedom to really take best player available at 15...then go with a need pick at 34.

Indy_Steelers
04-25-2007, 09:20 AM

I disagree with that. Tomlin has a SB ring and so do many others on this team. I hope we do trade him. It would be best for both sides. I do not think he is afraid of an '06 repeat, I just think he is turning into a hole. He was a good player but obviously not a leader. I think we will miss Hartings more than Faneca.

We have won games before him and we will win games after him. We have lost better lineman than him and still managed.

People need to also get over Joey Perter too. I liked JP but we have lost better LBs than Porter (Lloyd, Brown and Kirkland) and managed.
For all of you that miss him, here is a picture of his new jersey. The NFL Shop has them already.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/204/472372630_75aa503dec_m.jpg

Atlanta Dan
04-25-2007, 09:57 AM
Tomlin may turn out to be a great coach, but I do not think having a ring as a non-coordinator with Tampa Bay indicates he is a lock for HC success. Gruden & Monte Kiffin had a lot more to do with the success of the 2002 Bucs than Tomlin did and his Vikings defense last year was not exactly lights out successful. Given Faneca's stated views on Tomlin, the new HC certainly is not a reason Faneca wants to hang around - I am not knocking Tomlin, just stating why Faneca may see tomlin as no reason to stay in Pittsburgh for 2007.

My point is the team arguably is on a downward slide (as Smizik wrote in a recent column). With the coaches with whom he was tight having left, if Faneca does not see any potential for significant wins, he may figure why postpone the inevitable and force amove now since $$$ are all he will be playiong for this year in Pittsburgh. Not saying I absolutely agree the Steelers are entering a down cycle, but players know a lot more about their team's realistic prospects than writers and fans.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-25-2007, 10:09 AM

That Detroit scenerio becomes more and more possible!...but we may be able to walk out of this with a first round choice (and more) this year...I think Atlanta may be interested in Faneca as well...both their guards are too small for the power running game that the Falcons implement.

RoethlisBURGHer
04-25-2007, 10:32 AM
detroit wants picks, not aging players.. and we dont want to pay a #2 pick salary.. so get that out of your heads. our line would go to sh*t without faneca, ben would get tired of getting killed every play, and be more than willing to leave at the end of his current contract. then we are stuck looking for the next franchise qb all over again. it took over 20 years to find the next franchise qb after terry, i dont want to go through that process again.

Ben was getting killed last year with Faneca on the line,so if Faneca is gone and he still is getting killed,there isn't a difference.

DACEB
04-25-2007, 10:37 AM
Tomlin may turn out to be a great coach, but I do not think having a ring as a non-coordinator with Tampa Bay indicates he is a lock for HC success. Gruden & Monte Kiffin had a lot more to do with the success of the 2002 Bucs than Tomlin did .

I'm going to say that Tony Dungy, even though no longer the coach, had more to do with the Bucs winning the superbowl than anyone else. Afterall he assembled that team.

(Tomlins) Vikings defense last year was not exactly lights out successful.

Yet it was a huge improvement from where they were.

Given Faneca's stated views on Tomlin, the new HC certainly is not a reason Faneca wants to hang around - I am not knocking Tomlin, just stating why Faneca may see tomlin as no reason to stay in Pittsburgh for 2007. Not saying I absolutely agree the Steelers are entering a down cycle, but players know a lot more about their team's realistic prospects than writers and fans.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you do believe the team is entering a down cycle. That could be true but it would'nt necessarily be Tomlins fault. He inherited a team that has cap issues, a team that has aging players at key positions. Would it be Tomlins fault that we have not replineshed our defensive front seven adequitelly in recent drafts. Would it be Tomlins fault that we do not have a definite solution at the center position even though we pay Okobi over $2 mil/yr. How many of these questions are answered solely by the FO or did Cowher and the beloved Grimm have roles in these problems also.

What's done is done, look forward to the future. Look forward to the ideas Tomlin is trying to implement with versatility and accountability amoungst the players. When Cowher came in I'm sure many of these same concerns were spoken about. Let's see what happens in the draft, lets see what happens this first season. We may all want his head on a platter at the end of the season, we might also all want to put him on a pedestal as well in the end.

DACEB
04-25-2007, 10:38 AM
That Detroit scenerio becomes more and more possible!...but we may be able to walk out of this with a first round choice (and more) this year...I think Atlanta may be interested in Faneca as well...both their guards are too small for the power running game that the Falcons implement.

Great point LLT, I would also keep an eye on Houston as well.

Atlanta Dan
04-25-2007, 10:42 AM

The Falcons have picks to trade (10 picks overall - 3 in the top 44 (#8 in first round and 2 second round picks due to the Schaub trade with Houston)) and left guard is a concern.

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/ajc/falcons/entries/2007/04/23/assessing_needs.html

I do not know how Faneca's demands can fit under their cap unless they get Vick to restructure.

Counselor
04-25-2007, 10:55 AM
So I heard Mike Prisuta on the raido this morning---yeah I know he's questionable after the whole "Russ grim is Coach" thing, but still, he gets a lot of stuff right---he was the first I heard that called the Santonio Holmes pick correctly.

Anyway, he said Faneca showed up to a team meeting -- but not mini camp -- and the lines of communication still seem to be open. He didn't expect a trade on or before draft day, but he made no predictions about how it would all play out in the end.

RoethlisBURGHer
04-25-2007, 02:03 PM
Not quite as intimidating as seeing 'PORTER' on the back of a Black & Gold jersey, is it?

Not nearly,now Joey is gonna look like a wuss in the Auquamarine and Orange of the Dolphins.

MasterOfPuppets
04-25-2007, 02:16 PM

do you ever picture some people as dogs chasing thier own tales? :sofunny:

polamalufan43
04-25-2007, 03:57 PM
This doesn't surprise me that much, but if he really wants to leave then I say let him go. I don't think he has the right tude at this point. If he changes something about his approach, then we'll see.

~PF43:tt02:

Atlanta Dan
04-25-2007, 04:16 PM
I'm going to say that Tony Dungy, even though no longer the coach, had more to do with the Bucs winning the superbowl than anyone else. Afterall he assembled that team.

Yet it was a huge improvement from where they were.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you do believe the team is entering a down cycle. That could be true but it would'nt necessarily be Tomlins fault. He inherited a team that has cap issues, a team that has aging players at key positions. Would it be Tomlins fault that we have not replineshed our defensive front seven adequitelly in recent drafts. Would it be Tomlins fault that we do not have a definite solution at the center position even though we pay Okobi over $2 mil/yr. How many of these questions are answered solely by the FO or did Cowher and the beloved Grimm have roles in these problems also.

What's done is done, look forward to the future. Look forward to the ideas Tomlin is trying to implement with versatility and accountability amoungst the players. When Cowher came in I'm sure many of these same concerns were spoken about. Let's see what happens in the draft, lets see what happens this first season. We may all want his head on a platter at the end of the season, we might also all want to put him on a pedestal as well in the end.

My post was attempting to speculate on why Faneca wants out now, not an attempt to assesss the Steelers' prospects over the next several years and certainly not to attack Tomlin. But I will briefly address your correct conclusion that I think it is more likely than not the Steelers are entering a down cycle.

FWIW I think the Steelers had a second cycle of success in the Cowher years that started in 2001 and ran its course last season (there was no good excuse with the talent they had not to make the playoffs last year, but squandering 2006 just accelerated the process). Teams go up and down; that is how the league is designed to work. For example, I think the Colts have started to slide as well even though, like the Steelers, they got hot at the right time and won a SB with less than their best team.

Cowher saw the slide coming and, not having the inclination to go through another rebuilding or damage to his marketability, decided to quit to maximize his chance for a future big payday. The Rooneys see a need to rebuild and for that reason decided to hire from outside. Faneca may see the same thing and simply want to cash out now since there realistically are no more rings to be won in 2007 in Pittsburgh.

Tomlin is being placed in a tough position - unlike a team that has been losing, he is in the unusual position of a being a new HC on a team that has not been horrible and faces fan expectations that probably exceed the realistic current capabilities of the team. I think he is looking at several tough years and, since he inherited rather than created that situation, I will not be casting any major blame his way for several years.

TackleMeBen
04-25-2007, 04:19 PM
This doesn't surprise me that much, but if he really wants to leave then I say let him go. I don't think he has the right tude at this point. If he changes something about his approach, then we'll see.

~PF43:tt02:

:iagree: if he wants out, then dont let the door hit you in the rear on the way out. this team needs players with good attitudes that want to play for Mikey T and the staff.

Cape Cod Steel Head
04-25-2007, 05:11 PM
Has anyone else heard about this. I can't find it anywhere?

tony hipchest
04-25-2007, 05:27 PM
Tomlin is being placed in a tough position - unlike a team that has been losing, he is in the unusual position of a being a new HC on a team that has not been horrible and faces fan expectations that probably exceed the realistic current capabilities of the team. I think he is looking at several tough years and, since he inherited rather than created that situation, I will not be casting any major blame his way for several years.great post. as far as the major tough years, does that mean an exit like sean payton and eric mangini had from the playoffs last year, or the 2 years we were knocked out of the afc champ game as favorites under cowher?

the saints drafted a guard in the 4th round who started all 16 games last season. coulston woulda been the rookie of the year if it werent for an injury.

the jets started 2 rookie linemen and got alot of production out of a mid round rookie rb. they succeeded as well.

its obvious the steelers are in a minor transition. shouldnt we give tomlin as many weapons as possible and not wory about making a sb push? the saints werent thinking sb but they made it to where the steelers have been 3 times in the past 7 years---the champ game. i think we can still do the same with tomlin if he isnt hancuffed with cowhers players and system.

PalmerSteel
04-25-2007, 07:24 PM
i say we trade faneca to the lions. we also give them our #15 pick. the lions give us their OVERALL #2 pick. we draft Joe Thomas who could step in immediately and have a huge impact on the line. we also swap our 2nd round picks. sound good? i think so. better than what we will get for faneca in 10 months-nothing!

rbryan
04-25-2007, 08:03 PM
You listen to ESPN and believe everything they say? Thats your first problem. Negativity breeds. I'm pretty sure the players that are still here in September, Faneca or not , don't think the team is on the decline. I don't either. For everyone who is convinced Faneca wants out, consider this. He hasn't said he doesn't want to be here. He has said nothing. He came to town last week. Why bother coming at all unless you think the Steelers might still make a reasonable offer. I don't understand why so many people are in a rush to run him out of town.

Atlanta Dan
04-25-2007, 08:17 PM
i say we trade faneca to the lions. we also give them our #15 pick. the lions give us their OVERALL #2 pick. we draft Joe Thomas who could step in immediately and have a huge impact on the line. we also swap our 2nd round picks. sound good? i think so. better than what we will get for faneca in 10 months-nothing!

Rumor du jour says the Falcons and Denver both are trying to trade with Detroit to get the #2 pick and go for Calvin Johnson (assuming the Raiders pick a QB). I think Colbert was being truthful when he said the other day if the Steelers move out of their #15 slot it will be down rather than up. With all the unsigned 2008 FAs on the roster (+Ben coming up soon) the Steelers do not want to pay #2 pick $$ this draft.

coachspeak33
04-26-2007, 09:21 AM
You listen to ESPN and believe everything they say? Thats your first problem. Negativity breeds. I'm pretty sure the players that are still here in September, Faneca or not , don't think the team is on the decline. I don't either. For everyone who is convinced Faneca wants out, consider this. He hasn't said he doesn't want to be here. He has said nothing. He came to town last week. Why bother coming at all unless you think the Steelers might still make a reasonable offer. I don't understand why so many people are in a rush to run him out of town.

There is about 15 milion posts on this site alone (many of which I have contributed):wink02:

Steeldude
04-26-2007, 09:29 AM

why in the world would you want dwayne jarret at #15??? WRs are the least of the steelers worries.

Steeldude
04-26-2007, 09:32 AM
steelers aren't going to get much for faneca at this point in his career.

steelersfanman92
04-26-2007, 04:02 PM
i could see him going to the Cardnials and Steelers getting #5 and getting Levi Brown

Elvis
04-26-2007, 05:02 PM

If this is the way he looks at things then it is time for the man that is living on his past name anyway, just to move one out of the Burgh in my opinion.

Elvis
04-26-2007, 05:04 PM
steelers aren't going to get much for faneca at this point in his career.
Couldnt agree more.....What are we gonna get?.....
a 4th or 5 th round pick for a Former Pro Bowler?

Elvis
04-26-2007, 05:09 PM
So Bryan, you think that the Steelers are decline right now? I dont think so.. We have alot of very young talent to go along with some ole' wiley' vets.. to make a run at the playoffs this upcoming season including a long run toward our 2nd super bowl tittle in 3 years. Anyone that thinks that the Steelers are on decline will have to convince me of it after this upcoming season...and I dont see that happening myself..:tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

polamalufan43
04-26-2007, 08:10 PM
So Bryan, you think that the Steelers are decline right now? I dont think so.. We have alot of very young talent to go along with some ole' wiley' vets.. to make a run at the playoffs this upcoming season including a long run toward our 2nd super bowl tittle in 3 years. Anyone that thinks that the Steelers are on decline will have to convince me of it after this upcoming season...and I dont see that happening myself..:tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

The Steelers are going to stand strong on their desicion, that's a given.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

GBMelBlount
04-26-2007, 08:27 PM
why in the world would you want dwayne jarret at #15??? WRs are the least of the steelers worries.

It sounds like Tomlin is leaning best available. WR's are strong. Also mentioned, Faneca for # 5 pick, maybe Levi Brown, interesting.

Steeldude
04-26-2007, 09:58 PM
Couldnt agree more.....What are we gonna get?.....
a 4th or 5 th round pick for a Former Pro Bowler?

since when does pro bowl mean anything?

faneca's play slipped last year and his age is getting up there.

GBMelBlount
04-26-2007, 10:12 PM
since when does pro bowl mean anything?

faneca's play slipped last year and his age is getting up there.

Age up there, was he our best lineman last year? (not saying much if he was), however, there may be a few unlike us who would pay a premium.

Stlrs4Life
04-26-2007, 10:24 PM
Not quite as intimidating as seeing 'PORTER' on the back of a Black & Gold jersey, is it?

No it isn't. I was thinking the same. and bet he looks alot smaller in a Dlphns uni.

Preacher
04-26-2007, 11:20 PM

Arizona has the cap room to give Faneca the kind of contract he wants,his good buddy Russ Grimm is the o-line coach there.I think even if he hit the free agent market,he'd sign with Arizona for a little less money than others offered just to be reunited with Grimm.

Does he have a no-trade clause in his contract?If so,then he basicly controls where he goes.

Also,I doubt anyone will give up thier first rounder for him,even though he's worth a first and second.I'd be happy with a second rounder this year and a second rounder next year for him.It's better than getting a third round compensation pick after he leaves via free agency.

I disagree...

Faneca is 30. He still has 3-4, even 5 or 6 years left in the league at a strong level of play. He is the type of man that you bring in NOW to start building a line around... to take the lead in teaching younger people. THen, in four or so years, he steps out of the starting rotation. 5 or 6 years he retires.. .maybe. Depending on injuries and how he feels. Tell me what 1st round pick you will get where you get a GUARANTEED (as much as possible in this league) Leader.. top player at his position... top level of play... and ability to mold a full line in the image of? Granted, he would get even MORE attention at 27 or 28. But don't sell that short....

However, for those reasons, I agree with the fact that he will end up in Arizona. I think maybe they give thier first round pick for him, to protect thier QB and see what they can do over the next 2 or 3 years.

Then again, this time on Saturday, we ALL will probably be looking at this thread thinking.... How in the WORLD did we miss that?!?!??!

dunkuntou
04-27-2007, 12:04 AM
For those of you who said Faneca's play slipped last year I wonder if you have ever watched a football game in your life.

First, Faneca will play until he is at least 36 and probably beyond. Guards have long careers, especially good ones and often play into their late 30's.

Everyone keeps saying Faneca is a Pro Bowler...he is more than a Pro Bowler he is an All-Pro. For those of you who don't know what you are talking about All-Pro's are the best at their position. He is one of the top 3 guards in this league and many people will say he is the best.

Trading Faneca would be stupid. Unless we are getting a top pick and keeping our pick it would be senseless. We aren't nearly deep enough at OL to sacrafice a player of Faneca's caliber.

I suggest that some of you, who are ignorant and haven't watched a game before to look at some old tapes. Watch how Faneca pulls better than anyone in the league right now and how he has always dominated some of the better one-gap players in the league. Before you run your mouth at least try to know what you are talking about.

steelafan
04-27-2007, 12:19 AM
For those of you who said Faneca's play slipped last year I wonder if you have ever watched a football game in your life.

First, Faneca will play until he is at least 36 and probably beyond. Guards have long careers, especially good ones and often play into their late 30's.

Everyone keeps saying Faneca is a Pro Bowler...he is more than a Pro Bowler he is an All-Pro. For those of you who don't know what you are talking about All-Pro's are the best at their position. He is one of the top 3 guards in this league and many people will say he is the best.

Trading Faneca would be stupid. Unless we are getting a top pick and keeping our pick it would be senseless. We aren't nearly deep enough at OL to sacrafice a player of Faneca's caliber.

I suggest that some of you, who are ignorant and haven't watched a game before to look at some old tapes. Watch how Faneca pulls better than anyone in the league right now and how he has always dominated some of the better one-gap players in the league. Before you run your mouth at least try to know what you are talking about.

I also believe people are selling Faneca short, including the Steelers. I think he has a good 5 years left as starter. I also think the Steelers didn't give him a chance to accept or turn down a reasonable offer to stay with the team. (He probably knows the Steelers don't give the same huge deals that other teams do.) A player with his character (and a family to have to move) might have taken less than they think to stay put with the Steelers. I think it will wind up being the Steelers loss.

RoethlisBURGHer
04-27-2007, 01:20 AM
I also believe people are selling Faneca short, including the Steelers. I think he has a good 5 years left as starter. I also think the Steelers didn't give him a chance to accept or turn down a reasonable offer to stay with the team. (He probably knows the Steelers don't give the same huge deals that other teams do.) A player with his character (and a family to have to move) might have taken less than they think to stay put with the Steelers. I think it will wind up being the Steelers loss.

Actually,Faneca is seeing the money being thrown at the Eric Steinbach's of the NFL and saying to himself,"I am much better than him,I should be making more than him".

This is Faneca's LAST big contract,anything after this is gonna be peanuts to a star NFL player.He's looking to cash in as much as possible to set him up for the rest of his life,and to set his family up to.He knows he won't get that money in Pittsburgh,the Steelers don't have the cap room and they need to resign Troy Polamalu and Ben Roethlisberger,two young players who are more important to this team than Faneca,IMHO.

Why should we trade him people ask?Because we could get more for him than a conditional third rounder,which is all we would get for him if we let him walk as a free agent.

Nobody is gonna give up thier first rounder,second rounder this year,and second rounder next year for him.That leaves most teams without a pick until the third round.I can see us swapping first rounders with a team and getting thier second rounder this year.

But Faneca is going to be an Arizona Cardinal one way or the other.I say trade him there so we can get something for him,isntead of letting him walk as a free agent after this year and letting him infect the locker room with his bad attitude.

coachspeak33
04-27-2007, 07:54 AM

And I suggest you grab a NFL Free Agency History Book....Turn to the Steelers chapter....and educate yourself on how the business aspect of the league works...then come down from that 10 foot tall high horse....look for Najeh Davenports girlfriends clothesbasket and eat a big handful of what he left ya!!!!

You cant keep them all....If you are concerned about depth now...wait untill you see how slim our roster becomes if you sign a G for 50 million dollars...This isnt your grandpa's NFL...Free agency has changed everything...how long have you been a steelers fan???Have you been paying attention at all???This happens with All-Pro/Pro Bowl calibar players for the last 15-20 yrs...For every team including, and especially so for the steelers

The teams who have shown consistent success during the FA yrs are not the most talented organizations but often times are the teams that manage the influx within their personel due to the salary cap and free agency....

But you seem like the kinda guy who has convinced himself that he already knows too much and takes breathers from little things......like the cold hard facts!!!!!

Alan Faneca is the best most well rounded G in the NFL, IMO. But guys like Troy Polamalu & Ben Roethlesberger...their futures trump that of a 30 yr interior lineman...

Buzz05
04-27-2007, 08:09 AM
Alan Faneca is the best most well rounded G in the NFL, IMO. But guys like Troy Polamalu & Ben Roethlesberger...their futures trump that of a 30 yr interior lineman...

BINGO! A 25 year old Super Bowl winning QB and a 26 year old lights out safety/ Mr. Everything is well worth the investment then that of an Aging lineman. Faneca will no doubt be great for another few years, but the potential with Ben and Troy out weigh that of Faneca.

BUCKEYE4EVER
04-27-2007, 12:37 PM
Actually,Faneca

Nobody is gonna give up thier first rounder,second rounder this year,and second rounder next year for him.That leaves most teams without a pick until the third round.I can see us swapping first rounders with a team and getting thier second rounder this year.

But Faneca is going to be an Arizona Cardinal one way or the other.I say trade him there so we can get something for him,isntead of letting him walk as a free agent after this year and letting him infect the locker room with his bad attitude.
I couldn't agree more these guys that think Fanaca worth 2 1st round picks and a 2nd and 3rd are lost in a fantasy world.

rbryan
04-27-2007, 01:18 PM

You need to read my post again. I clearly say that I don't think the team is in decline.

Atlanta Dan
04-28-2007, 06:54 PM
Wonder what the best offer was for Faneca?

Now that he is staying for one more year, let's see if he shows up in May for min-camp