PDA

View Full Version : Max Starks signs 1 year deal

Livinginthe past
04-27-2007, 11:47 AM
Right tackle Max Starks, the Pittsburgh Steelers' starter for the past two seasons but likely to be challenged for the No. 1 job in 2007, has signed a one-year contract with the team.

Max Starks
Starks

The former University of Florida star signed the one-year restricted free agent qualifying offer of $1.85 million that the Steelers tendered him two months ago. Unless he signs an extension, Starks will be eligible for unrestricted free agency next spring.

Pittsburgh retained a right of first refusal on Starks by making him a qualifying offer that would have cost another team a first-round draft choice in compensation had any other club signed the three-year veteran to an offer sheet. That was enough to ward off any potential suitors that otherwise might have been interested in him.

Starks, 25, was a third-round choice in the 2004 draft. He appeared in 10 games as a rookie, all as a reserve, then moved into the lineup in 2005. Starks started all 16 games in '05, as the Steelers won Super Bowl XL, and had a key block on Willie Parker's long touchdown run in Pittsburgh's 21-10 victory over the Seattle Seahawks.

In 2006, Starks started the first 14 games, then missed the final two games of the season with a meniscus injury to his right knee. Starks has rehabilitated the injury and it does not appear to be a problem this spring.

While he has played well and continues to improve in all areas, Starks will be pushed in camp by second-year pro Willie Colon, a young player the Steelers like and who started the final two games in 2006. Still, the mammoth Starks (6-feet-8, 337 pounds), who is the son of former Cincinnati Bengals defensive lineman Ross Browner, is generally regarded around the NFL as a player on the rise.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2850929

Atlanta Dan
04-27-2007, 11:57 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2850929

While he has played well and continues to improve in all areas???!!!

WTF is that - a news story or a press release by Starks' agent? Lennie P. usually is on point, but not in this case.

Starks was a human turnstile in several games last year. He apparently received no serious inquiries from anyone else this offseason and did not sound too excited last week about having to sign the 1 year tender from the Steelers.

Add Starks to the list of those who will be elsewhere in 2008.

Livinginthe past
04-27-2007, 12:15 PM
While he has played well and continues to improve in all areas???!!!

WTF is that - a news story or a press release by Starks' agent? Lennie P. usually is on point, but not in this case.

Starks was a human turnstile in several games last year. He apparently received no serious inquiries from anyone else this offseason and did not sound too excited last week about having to sign the 1 year tender from the Steelers.

Add Starks to the list of those who will be elsewhere in 2008.

So Starks and Faneca gone by next year?

I would think the Steelers will be definitely looking OL twice in the first 4 rounds on saturday.

SteelerMurf
04-27-2007, 12:17 PM
So Starks and Faneca gone by next year?

I would think the Steelers will be definitely looking OL twice in the first 4 rounds on saturday.

Here's hoping Levi Brown drops.........

Then again I want OLB.....

Then again I want a CB....

:banging:

Jeremy
04-27-2007, 12:31 PM

Brown looks to be a possible fast faller. Then again there could be some quality later on. Dan Mozes anyone?

PisnNapalm
04-27-2007, 12:58 PM
I was never overly impressed with Starks. He got beat bad in more than a few games.

He's an average lineman at best.

OneForTheToe
04-27-2007, 01:45 PM
Dam ... I was hoping the conclusion of that sentence was, "... with the Detriot Lions" Oh well, Starks is a Steeler and will root for him to succeed. I've just never been impressed with his play. A man that big should be more physical than he has shown himself to be.

HometownGal
04-27-2007, 02:17 PM
Starks had a decent season in 2005 and played fairly well on the road to the playoffs and SBXL, but his play last season was less than stellar. He couldn't manhandle a paper bag. If he wants to be the front-liner this season, he's going to have to prove himself worthy of his position.

Atlanta Dan
04-27-2007, 02:25 PM
Starks had a decent season in 2005 and played fairly well on the road to the playoffs and SBXL, but his play last season was less than stellar. He couldn't manhandle a paper bag. If he wants to be the front-liner this season, he's going to have to prove himself worthy of his position.

And report at significantly less than the 400 pounds at which he allegedly weighed in during mini-camp in 2006.

polamalufan43
04-27-2007, 02:59 PM
And report at significantly less than the 400 pounds at which he allegedly weighed in during mini-camp in 2006.

HUH? Wow....just wow...

As for his signing, I don't think the FO plans to keep him long, otherwise they would have signed him for much longer.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

SteelersTilIDie
04-27-2007, 03:34 PM
If they only sign him to a one year contract, he will probably be gone next year. Plus, if we do not trade Faneca this year, he will do the same. In tomorrow and sundays draft, the steelers must take at least 1 solid offensive lineman.

19ward86
04-27-2007, 05:11 PM
good resign.

Elvis
04-27-2007, 05:21 PM
Starks maybe better than some, but I just hope the Steelers take care of this position real soon myself...
:tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

Elvis
04-27-2007, 05:22 PM
If they only sign him to a one year contract, he will probably be gone next year. Plus, if we do not trade Faneca this year, he will do the same. In tomorrow and sundays draft, the steelers must take at least 1 solid offensive lineman.
I Tottaly Agree 100%

SteelCityMan786
04-27-2007, 06:11 PM

I'd take Brown or Pos. Most likely though Pos because we need a big time hitting LB.

GBMelBlount
04-27-2007, 09:00 PM

Sounds like an OL meltdown. Let's hope at 400 lbs. he can just FALL in the right direction!

polamalufan43
04-27-2007, 09:23 PM

Either that, or the Oline that's left gets alot better. Me, I'm counting on a good draft pick and Willie Colon stepping it up a bit.

GBMelBlount
04-27-2007, 09:29 PM
Either that, or the Oline that's left gets alot better. Me, I'm counting on a good draft pick and Willie Colon stepping it up a bit.

Funny name....Let's hope the "Feisty" Colon steps it up this year. Go Hofstra!

Stlrs4Life
04-27-2007, 10:47 PM
If it wasn't for another team having to give up a first round pick, Starks would be gone. And i think he realizes that. But, hate to say it, kinda glad we got him for his year. OPur line is slim asit is. No doubt we draft a couple of OL tomorrow.

ChronoCross
04-27-2007, 11:04 PM
Its better then a long term deal. His play this last season was like popcorn he was getting popped all over the place like he was not there. He needs to improve our loose his starting position.

MasterOfPuppets
04-27-2007, 11:27 PM
that fat bastard should be at the beach selling shade instead of on a football field.

tony hipchest
04-27-2007, 11:34 PM
that fat bastard should be at the beach selling shade instead of on a football field.lol.

dallas or buffalo wouldve easilly given him $20 mil for 4 years if he were a free agent. if we dont want him, we should atleast maximize his value. the same goes for simmons, smith, essex, okolbi, kemoeatu, faneca, (did i forget any?)

i hate to think cowher and colbert know nothing about drafting linemen and grimm knew nothing about coaching them up. either the players we picked flat out sucked or those who picked them and coached them suck. did we really win a sb a little over a calendar year ago?

MasterOfPuppets
04-27-2007, 11:43 PM
lol.

dallas or buffalo wouldve easilly given him $20 mil for 4 years if he were a free agent. if we dont want him, we should atleast maximize his value. the same goes for simmons, smith, essex, okolbi, kemoeatu, faneca, (did i forget any?)
i hate to think cowher and colbert know nothing about drafting linemen and grimm knew nothing about coaching them up. either the players we picked flat out sucked or those who picked them and coached them suck. did we really win a sb a little over a calendar year ago?
i'd take em all to NY tommorrow, line em up like cattle, and start the auction . :smashy:

tony hipchest
04-27-2007, 11:52 PM
i'd take em all to NY tommorrow, line em up like cattle, and start the auction . :smashy:unfortunately, that may be the best way to get out of this mess were in. either that, or actually give our young players a chance to play. our young linemen have been groomed as back up and are potentially ruined as far as being a starter is concerned. (k. vincent and o. ross did well with that role but havent exactly made their new teams look smart)

MasterOfPuppets
04-27-2007, 11:56 PM
unfortunately, that may be the best way to get out of this mess were in. either that, or actually give our young players a chance to play. our young linemen have been groomed as back up and are potentially ruined as far as being a starter is concerned. (k. vincent and o. ross did well with that role but havent exactly made their new teams look smart)

well damn! look at freakin okobi! they had us believing ( by giving a big contract ) that we had our heir to the center position. then when its time for him to step up...now we need a center????:banging:

tony hipchest
04-27-2007, 11:59 PM
well damn! look at freakin okobi! they had us believing ( by giving a big contract ) that we had our heir to the center position. then when its time for him to step up...now we need a center????:banging:in the meantime, you know how many centers the browns went through last year? (5?, 6???) we probably couldve easilly traded him for this years 3rd or 4th. :dang:

Livinginthe past
04-28-2007, 12:10 AM
in the meantime, you know how many centers the browns went through last year? (5?, 6???) we probably couldve easilly traded him for this years 3rd or 4th. :dang:

Do you think the Steelers lack imagination when it comes to trades?

Its probably a huge generalisation, but Pittsburgh (its team and its fans) do not like change - the status quo always seems to be the preferred option.

I think the response to the trade Hines and Faneca thread you posted demonstrated the prevailing mentality of the SF section of the fanbase anyway.

My opinion of the Steelers FO is quite similar to that of the departed Bill Cowher - both are great at identifying talent, both are questionable when it comes to gameplanning on-the-fly.

Success breeds its own problems, an established high quality O-line will prevent talented back-ups seeing much playing time - the same is true of the D-line in New England.

Its tough to evaluate NFL talent when you only see them in preseason games.

MasterOfPuppets
04-28-2007, 12:20 AM
in the meantime, you know how many centers the browns went through last year? (5?, 6???) we probably couldve easilly traded him for this years 3rd or 4th. :dang:
cowher definitly wasn't planning for the future of the OLine. and with this weak class of linemen coming in, i'd say were in trouble. there better be some diamonds in the ruff,or were gonna look like the raiders offense by 08.