View Full Version : Official Steelers Draft Day Talk

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-29-2007, 02:11 PM
From NfL Dratf Analysis....

# Sel# Team Player Pos. School

19 156 Pittsburgh Cameron Stephenson G Rutgers
Gil Brandt's Analysis

A player who grew up in the Long Beach area who went across the country to be a defensive lineman at Rutgers, then was moved to guard in 2006. Stephenson (6-3 1/8, 306; 5.4) is a very strong, tough player. A good choice here; he has a chance to be a starter.

Brandt believes he has a chance to be a starter

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-29-2007, 02:12 PM
I'll let you in on a little secret ... members who contribute good posts are going to be eligible for some cool prizes this season. :bouncy:

Prizes.......I love Prizes!!!!:cheers:

PisnNapalm
04-29-2007, 02:14 PM
Prizes are usually fun. ;)

I gotta say I'm liking our draft so far.

OneForTheToe
04-29-2007, 02:17 PM
Hey, who drafted the big back from Hawaii? I can't find the pick on the board

pittsburghp8baller
04-29-2007, 02:19 PM
Hey, who drafted the big back from Hawaii? I can't find the pick on the board

no one has picked him yet; we should take him coming up

OneForTheToe
04-29-2007, 02:22 PM
Thanks, for some reason I though he had been on the espn board before. I think i am going a bit loopy by reading these things for so long.

MasterOfPuppets
04-29-2007, 02:23 PM
I'll let you in on a little secret ... members who contribute good posts are going to be eligible for some cool prizes this season. :bouncy:

define good....:wtf:

pittsburghp8baller
04-29-2007, 02:27 PM
Thanks, for some reason I though he had been on the espn board before. I think i am going a bit loopy by reading these things for so long.

i know its been a long couple of days... ive had some major brain hic-ups

SteelersFever
04-29-2007, 02:29 PM
define good....:wtf:

I can't let you in on all the secrets. :cap: Now, stop looking at me like that. :wantsome: :heha:

tony hipchest
04-29-2007, 02:30 PM
I gotta say I'm liking our draft so far.it just got real Gay.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-29-2007, 02:32 PM
With the picks in this draft.........Do you believe that we have a defensive minded coach???

tony hipchest
04-29-2007, 02:32 PM
define good....:wtf:see any of the 11,000 TH posts. :sofunny:

:jammin: :banana: :jammin:

OneForTheToe
04-29-2007, 02:34 PM
CB. I guess we are making up in this draft for picking offense last year?

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-29-2007, 02:34 PM
William Gay????...okay....I'm trying to be positive here!!!!:banging:

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-29-2007, 02:35 PM
Baltimore.........Troy Smith...QB

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-29-2007, 02:35 PM
it just got real Gay.

:sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny:

Fire Haley
04-29-2007, 02:36 PM
It was a safe draft.

LB, D-line, CB, TE, G, and upgraded our special teams - P

Probably most will make the roster, it could have been worse.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-29-2007, 02:37 PM
Michael Coe went two picks after.....William Gay.....just shoot me....please.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-29-2007, 02:38 PM
It was a safe draft.

LB, D-line, CB, TE, G, and upgraded our special teams - P

Probably most will make the roster, it could have been worse.

I think we are doing just fine....:tt02:

SteelersFever
04-29-2007, 02:41 PM
Absolutely. This has been a fine draft so far. Keep in mind we are drafting for need. I already see some replacements.

tony hipchest
04-29-2007, 02:42 PM
Michael Coe went two picks after.....William Gay.....just shoot me....please.my magazine has m. coe as the 13th ranked cb.

william gay is 35th :banging:

why didnt we just get joe porter from rutgers (34th) and save a few bucks on jersey nameplates? :dang:

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-29-2007, 02:42 PM
What did we get out of the Green Bay TRADE???????

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-29-2007, 02:45 PM
What did we get out of the Green Bay TRADE???????

traded up in the fourth

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-29-2007, 02:45 PM
traded up in the fourth

I missed that?

SteelersFever
04-29-2007, 02:49 PM
my magazine has m. coe as the 13th ranked cb.

why didnt we just get joe porter from rutgers (34th) and save a few bucks on jersey nameplates? :dang:

That does suck. Coe is 3" taller and a few pounds heavier than Gay. Who would I rather have? Coe of course, he has his own NFL.com analysis on his profile. Gay's profile reads 'Check back later'. :banging:

Atlanta Dan
04-29-2007, 02:49 PM
FO probably had good news from Verrons rehab and now sees RB as not a big need..

Based upon Verron's performance before his injury?

Between the TE pick and trading up to get a punter it is as if they are throwing darts at their draft board and picking whomever gets hit.

tony hipchest
04-29-2007, 02:50 PM
getting rid of gardocki this season, and haggans next, does open a little bit of caproom that may make a faneca extension a little more possible. if not it gives us a little more flexibility with our other linemen. we definitely cant afford to loose 4 of them now.

continuity on offense seems to be the plan. looks like we might be stuck with c. wilsons $2 million cap hit.

has anyone taken david ball wr from new hampshire? (broke jerry rices records?)

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-29-2007, 02:50 PM
my magazine has m. coe as the 13th ranked cb.

PFW has Coe ranked 10th....and William Gay...well....he is ranked...lets see....well...he isnt.

Fire Haley
04-29-2007, 02:52 PM
Gay = Chidi II

Tomlin knows special teams

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-29-2007, 02:52 PM
getting rid of gardocki this season, and haggans next, does open a little bit of caproom that may make a faneca extension a little more possible. if not it gives us a little more flexibility with our other linemen. we definitely cant afford to loose 4 of them now.

continuity on offense seems to be the plan. looks like we might be stuck with c. wilsons $2 million cap hit.

has anyone taken david ball wr from new hampshire? (broke jerry rices records?)

Nope...still on the boards

pittsburghp8baller
04-29-2007, 02:54 PM
wow thats one of the guys from hawaii i didnt think he would get picked. he use to DL; runs a very slow 40; more of a fullback regan mauia.

at least The Nasti is still there

Atlanta Dan
04-29-2007, 02:55 PM
Absolutely. This has been a fine draft so far. Keep in mind we are drafting for need. I already see some replacements.

Other than potentially strengthening the offseason basketball team, what need does Spaeth fill (seriously)?

tony hipchest
04-29-2007, 02:56 PM
Based upon Verron's performance before his injury?

Between the TE pick and trading up to get a punter it is as if they are throwing darts at their draft board and picking whomever gets hit.ive said it before, i hate the "next jerome bettis" cliche and comparisson. but every time i see a michael bush highlight i see bettis in red.

we still need 2 rb's to fill our roster. verron may be a cheap late alternative, but lacks the upside of someone who woulda been a top 10 pick, had they not broken their leg.

Jeremy
04-29-2007, 02:57 PM
Other than potentially strengthening the offseason basketball team, what need does Spaeth fill (seriously)?

H back. With 3 and 4 receiver sets, fullback is minimized and the second tight end/h back becomes more important than ever. He's a better pick than Woodley and the punter.

SteelersFever
04-29-2007, 02:59 PM
Only one pick left. Who will it be?

Jeremy
04-29-2007, 02:59 PM
Can't be worse than the rest, that's for sure.

tony hipchest
04-29-2007, 03:01 PM
PFW has Coe ranked 10th....and William Gay...well....he is ranked...lets see....well...he isnt.is he related to R. U. Gay of the patriots? :chuckle:

im looking at the sports weekly where hes ranked 35th out of 50. i guess thats not too bad :dang:

why couldnt we draft someone with a cool name like montae pitts (48th)?

tony hipchest
04-29-2007, 03:08 PM
has anyone taken ben patrick? i have read of him ranked 3rd with spaeth ranked 7th. ben is more of a receiving te, and his interviews ive heard make me think he's gonna be a really good prospect to whoever he goes too.

OneForTheToe
04-29-2007, 03:08 PM
HB Blades went to da skins. I wonder what cowher will do with him in two years? :bouncy:

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-29-2007, 03:10 PM
is he related to R. U. Gay of the patriots? :chuckle:

im looking at the sports weekly where hes ranked 35th out of 50. i guess thats not too bad :dang:

why couldnt we draft someone with a cool name like montae pitts (48th)?

I personally liked Anthony WOLLSCHLAGER....but even if he doesnt get drafted...he has a future in maintaining a home brewery.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-29-2007, 03:11 PM
has anyone taken ben patrick? i have read of him ranked 3rd with spaeth ranked 7th. ben is more of a receiving te, and his interviews ive heard make me think he's gonna be a really good prospect to whoever he goes too.

Patrick is still on the boards

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-29-2007, 03:14 PM
Only one pick left. Who will it be?

Take the rights to Jeff Samardzija....or take BRANDON SILER!!!!....or RB Nate Ilaoa

tony hipchest
04-29-2007, 03:16 PM
Patrick is still on the boards:dang:

wollschlager??? :sofunny: he'll be an ufa picked up by the patriots to team with bruschi.

is there any way we can get faggins on our team to pair up with gay? oh well, im thinking gay can stick to "hanging" chad johnson like glue.

tony hipchest
04-29-2007, 03:21 PM
Take the rights to Jeff Samardzija....or take BRANDON SILER!!!!....or RB Nate Ilaoai like the idea of gambling on samardzija. im sure there will be several "hank basketts" out there we can bring in after the draft w/o wasting a pick on them. invite ilaola and jackie battle to camp as ufa's.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-29-2007, 03:25 PM
:dang:

wollschlager??? :sofunny: he'll be an ufa picked up by the patriots to team with bruschi.

is there any way we can get faggins on our team to pair up with gay? oh well, im thinking gay can stick to "hanging" chad johnson like glue.

The metrosexual "attraction" factor would make him a sack monster against the patriots

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-29-2007, 03:28 PM
Any truth to Holmgren wanting DT Barry Cryer of Nebraska?:wink02:

SalukiSteelers
04-29-2007, 03:59 PM
WTF is going on with this draft? A punter in the fourth round? An LB and DE/LB in the first two rounds? I usually trust the team to make the right moves but I'm puzzled by this draft.

DJfan
04-29-2007, 04:17 PM
Who's watching this crybaby match on NFLN? This guy is pissed and looks stupid. Who is he?

DJfan
04-29-2007, 04:25 PM
Man, I want Walter Thomas!!

tony hipchest
04-29-2007, 04:36 PM
arizona takes ben patrick in the 7th. i bet whiz was bummed we jumped on their TE prospect in the 3rd.

i think thats only 5 tight ends taken in this years draft. and we reached in the 3rd :dang:

OneForTheToe
04-29-2007, 04:43 PM
I say either a Wr or Cb in the last round. .....looking for a potenial special teamer. I figure they will go UDFA for a running back.

TJSteeler
04-29-2007, 04:56 PM
How about Rhema McKnight from Notre Dame. Seems like a good value in 7th.

verks36
04-29-2007, 04:58 PM
i DONT REALLY THINK we had that good of a draft trufthfuly

DJfan
04-29-2007, 05:00 PM
The new receiver has size. Let's see.

I was much more excited last year at the end of the draft than this year.

I still want to see Thomas as an UDFA.

OneForTheToe
04-29-2007, 05:00 PM
Dallas Baker (WR) Florida. We certainly do like the Florida schools the last two years.

(6'3", 208, 4.53) good size, but not great speed. Welcoe to the practice squad Mr. Baker.

DJfan
04-29-2007, 05:01 PM
Can I still hate Dallas with our new receiver on our team?

Fire Haley
04-29-2007, 05:09 PM
All right...a WR from the National Champs.

No more "from tiny Tiffin" from this group of evaluators.

Tomlin did an awesome interview on ESPN earlier.....he's gonna bust some balls this year.

Fire Haley
04-29-2007, 05:18 PM
(6'3", 208, 4.53) good size, but not great speed. Welcoe to the practice squad Mr. Baker.

All he has to do is beat out Wilson or Washington....can't be all that tough for MrTouchdown.

I say he has a shot.

touchdownward
04-29-2007, 05:18 PM
I love the Dallas Baker pick.
Baker, in my opinion, was the best receiver the Gators had on their squad last season.
He was injured alot, but toughed it out and played hurt. That's Steeler football. At 6'3, he can get up there too.

stillers4me
04-29-2007, 05:23 PM
Dallas Baker.......punt reciever?????

Strengths:
Has excellent size with long arms and a solid frame...Terrific body control and ball skills...Good hands and will snatch the ball out of the air...Knows how to use his body...Runs excellent routes...Good strength...Sneaky athlete who is more shifty and elusive than he looks...Productive...Has special teams potential...Playmaker.

Weaknesses:
Does not have great timed speed and will struggle to separate in the pros...He is not very quick or explosive and lacks a burst...Is not very tough and plays smaller than he is...Reluctant to work the middle of the field...He won't do much after the catch...Battled drops earlier in his career...Not a vertical threat...Average blocker.

Notes:
A.k.a. "The Touchdown Maker"...His uncle is former Gator and NFL wideout Wes Chandler...Broke out with an MVP performance (10-147-2) in the Outback Bowl at the end of the '05 season and has really come into his own...Will always be held back by the speed factor...Could be a nice possession receiver / redzone threat

SteelerMurf
04-29-2007, 05:32 PM
Dallas Baker (WR) Florida. We certainly do like the Florida schools the last two years.

I bet he catches better than Nate "Stone" Washington

OneForTheToe
04-29-2007, 05:51 PM
Nate Ilaoa just got picked by Philli.

I hope he can catch, because Andy Read only calls about 10 rushes a game.

BUCKEYE4EVER
04-29-2007, 06:24 PM
I love the Dallas Baker pick.
Baker, in my opinion, was the best receiver the Gators had on their squad last season.
He was injured alot, but toughed it out and played hurt. That's Steeler football. At 6'3, he can get up there too.
I think they should have picked McKnight from ND
It has been said the Steelers need a tall receiver for Big Ben. McKnight I think is in the 6'3" to 6' 5"area. And even better than that he is use to highly thrown footballs. As Brady Quinn had 90% of his completions thrown 7 to 10 ft high !!!

Black@Gold Forever32
04-29-2007, 07:24 PM
Michael Coe went two picks after.....William Gay.....just shoot me....please.

Ok Gay had 6 INTs and 2 sacks last year so the guy made plays last year for Louisville. As for pre-draft rankings well I would hope Willie Parker taught us all about pre-draft rankings. I'm sure he wasn't to high on all the pre-draft national rankings. I like Michael Coe to and think he would have been a real sleeper. But I'm willing to give William Gay chance. It was a reach but oh well.

Jeremy
04-29-2007, 07:28 PM

Damn the practice squad....the kid is a player. Probably the 4th best receiver on the team right now.

ben2hines=6
04-30-2007, 07:36 PM
i think if this baker kid has anything at all cderic wilson is going to see his pt dwindle....if nate washington gets better hands our recieving core could be nice

jasonpirkle
05-02-2007, 11:10 AM
nice to have someone that is taller than the average corner.

Preacher
04-15-2008, 05:17 PM
BUmping in preperation for the April 26th and 27th Draft!!

11 days away!!

I figured why start a new thread???

What is everyone planning to do on draft day?

Rhee Rhee
04-15-2008, 10:07 PM

11 days away!!

have an endless supply of food and just make my self comfortable on the couch... :sofunny:

It's gonna be GREAAAT!

MasterOfPuppets
04-15-2008, 11:39 PM

11 days away!!

What is everyone planning to do on draft day? :scratchchin: ......i'm gonna start a new draft day thread....:hunch:

BettisFan
04-15-2008, 11:41 PM
i cant wait for draft man oh man lets get albert!

stlrtruck
04-16-2008, 09:54 AM

I'll be at Acquire The Fire on Day 1 but back in time for lunch with an old co-worker (who happens to be a titans fan) on Day 2.

Steelman16
04-16-2008, 04:23 PM
Holy crap...109 pages on this thread. :chuckle:

I'm gonna be watching eagerly online, hoping the Stillers continue a great history of draft classes.

Hapa
04-17-2008, 06:42 PM
i cant wait for draft man oh man lets get albert!

That would be awesome but he'll definitely be gone before 23 :(

Black@Gold Forever32
04-17-2008, 08:52 PM

11 days away!!

I plan on doing what I do every year....Eat some wings and drink some :drink:.............Draft Day is like Christmas for me...lol I feel like a little kid opening presents on Christmas Morning on draft day....lol

millwalldavey
04-17-2008, 09:16 PM
I plan on doing what I do every year....Eat some wings and drink some :drink:.............Draft Day is like Christmas for me...lol I feel like a little kid opening presents on Christmas Morning on draft day....lol

It has become a tradition for us around here now that myself and my friends have our own houses and stuff... No wings for me, but a few brews are in line. This is one of my favorite days of the year. The last two years snapped my streak of getting what I wanted (I called Troy, Ben and Heath), but it might be just as satisfying to have something to gripe about for the next week when you dont get what you want! (Although, I'm changing my mind on Santonio... I admit to wanting LenDale White w that pick))

Black@Gold Forever32
04-17-2008, 09:23 PM
It has become a tradition for us around here now that myself and my friends have our own houses and stuff... No wings for me, but a few brews are in line. This is one of my favorite days of the year. The last two years snapped my streak of getting what I wanted (I called Troy, Ben and Heath), but it might be just as satisfying to have something to gripe about for the next week when you dont get what you want! (Although, I'm changing my mind on Santonio... I admit to wanting LenDale White w that pick))

I didn't call Ben but wanted Big Ben....Didn't think he would fall to 11....Was very happy he did...lol.....I almost tackled my tv when Ben was picked due to excitement...lol Called Heath and even called the Steelers trading up for Holmes in 06......I liked Holmes even though he was a Buckeye...lol I thought Revis was the pick last year and was wrong of course....I had no idea back in 03 and was shocked when they traded up to get Troy.....

lilyoder6
04-17-2008, 09:50 PM
i will go to my friend's house like usual.. there parents will make some good. and my friends and i will play some cod 4 while watching the draft...

Elvis
04-18-2008, 07:04 AM
I am planning on watching it here in the luxury of my own home with some good friends and family. Doesnt get any better than that.
:hatsoff:

Preacher
04-18-2008, 04:53 PM
Funny how I want next weekend to come RIGHT AWAY....

Yet, I have SO MUCH WORK to do before next weekend that I want it to be a month away.

I hate being grown up!!

lilyoder6
04-18-2008, 04:57 PM
bur just think the 1st day is shorten.. no 3rd rd and the 1 rd are now 10 min.... so be quicker to watch.. :o

wiqidjuggalo
04-19-2008, 09:56 PM

I will be at the Fan Blitz at Heinz Field around 9:30 am hopefully tailgating with Dom and his crew!

Preacher
04-19-2008, 10:51 PM
I will be at the Fan Blitz at Heinz Fiels arouns 9:30 am hopefully tailgating with Dom and his crew!

Hey LTNS...

Galax Steeler
04-20-2008, 07:30 AM
I've got to work a half of day on sat then I am going home get a cold beer and watch the draft.:drink:

wiqidjuggalo
04-21-2008, 01:40 PM
Just a reminder!

5 DAYS TILL DRAFT DAY!!!!!!!!

Miguel58
04-21-2008, 02:07 PM
Its going to be a good draft...

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-21-2008, 02:11 PM
Starts at 2:00 pm central time...I will work until 3 p.m.

Already told the family that I am busy for the day!!!

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-21-2008, 04:32 PM
Man, I'm getting old. Before we had kids I would go to a pub with buddies and watch the draft and discuss who was a good pick or not. Now, we go do the normal family stuff and I check the computer every hour to see whats going on.

I still remember coming out of our favorite diner and hearing on ESPN radio....Eli Manning and Philip Rivers are off the board and the Pittsburgh Steelers are on the clock.

I knew I was ordering my son a Roethlisberger jersey for sure. :)

Preacher
04-21-2008, 04:42 PM
I remember watching that draft and thinking... WOW...

goodbye tommy(water)gun.

lilyoder6
04-21-2008, 05:12 PM
what time is the draft again.. 3 o'clock eastern time????