PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Steelers 2007 Draft Class

SteelersFever
04-28-2007, 03:21 PM
Round #1 - Pick #15 - Overall #15 - Lawrence Timmons (http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2007/timmons_lawrence) - LB - Florida State

Round #2 - Pick #14 - Overall #46 - LaMarr Woodley (http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2007/woodley_lamarr) - DE - Michigan

Round #3 - Pick #13 - Overall #77 - Matt Spaeth (http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2007/spaeth_matt) - TE - Minnesota

Round #4 - Pick #13 - Overall #112 - From Green Bay. Daniel Sepulveda (http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2007/sepulveda_daniel) - P - Baylor

Round #4 - Compensatory Pick #33 - Overall #132 - Ryan McBean (http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2007/mcbean_ryan) - DE - Oklahoma State - [Pre-draft Interview (http://www.steelersfever.com/editorials/0725.html)]

Round #5 - Pick #19 - Overall #156 - Cameron Stephenson (http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2007/stephenson_cameron) - G - Rutgers

Round #5 - Compensatory Pick #33 - Overall #170 - William Gay (http://uoflsports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/gay_william00.html) - CB - Louisville

Round #6 - Pick #18 - Overall #192 - Traded to Green Bay.

Round #7 - Pick #17 - Overall #227 - Dallas Baker (http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2007/baker_dallas) - WR - Florida

SteelersWyo
04-29-2007, 06:11 PM
What a disaster.

Stainless Steel
04-29-2007, 06:43 PM
I wouldn't pass judgment too quickly. Give it time.

The Duke
04-29-2007, 07:12 PM
loved that dallas baker came to us, of all the big receivers he is the one i most liked

Man_Of_Steel
04-29-2007, 07:30 PM
What a disaster.

LMAO! Come back at the end of the season and we'll talk. Man you people act like your professional scouts in the NFL. I'm sure they know A LOT more than you could even begin to imagine.

Jeremy
04-29-2007, 07:30 PM
loved that dallas baker came to us, of all the big receivers he is the one i most liked

7th round....amazing. I would have taken him in the 5th round. All the kid did was make big plays at Florida. Great find in the 7th round.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-29-2007, 07:36 PM
7th round....amazing. I would have taken him in the 5th round. All the kid did was make big plays at Florida. Great find in the 7th round.

I like the Dallas Baker pick alot myself.:tt02:

rowedf
04-29-2007, 07:39 PM
Ya, on the surface, I'm just not feeling this draft. The top two picks are somewhat of .... I don't wanna say projects, but I just thought it was a bit high for both of them. Then to see a TE selected in the 3rd round ?? That amazed me! I'm not down on the punter deal...we need one and this could work out. Just not sure about trading up to get him :)

Jeremy
04-29-2007, 07:42 PM
I like the Dallas Baker pick alot myself.:tt02:

This kid is going to push for playing time. Big time kid from a big time program. I'm blown away that he was there in the 7th round.

yinzer-inseattle
04-29-2007, 07:42 PM
LMAO! Come back at the end of the season and we'll talk. Man you people act like your professional scouts in the NFL. I'm sure they know A LOT more than you could even begin to imagine.

Agree

Any season ticket holders ready to committ hari-cari or jump ship based on this year's draft, please let me know. I'll buy you out.

I think the Steelers will be just fine. The only people worried right now would be some of the dead weight vets on the roster. Camp will definitely be interesting; there will be a lot more competetion than in years past.

GBMelBlount
04-29-2007, 07:43 PM

Maybe they have a plan. Only time will tell, But just curious, what picks do you think were good values?

yinzer-inseattle
04-29-2007, 07:57 PM
Round #7 - Pick #17 - Overall #227 - Baker, Dallas - WR - 6-3 - 207 - Florida
Round #2 - Pick #14 - Overall #46 - LaMarr Woodley - DE - Michigan
Round #1 - Pick #15 - Overall #15 - Lawrence Timmons - LB - Florida State
Round #4 - Compensatory Pick #33 - Overall #132 - Ryan McBean - DE Oklahoma State
Round #5 - Compensatory Pick #33 - Overall #170 - William Gay - CB - Louisville
Round #5 - Pick #19 - Overall #156 - Cameron Stephenson - G - Rutgers
Round #3 - Pick #13 - Overall #77 - Matt Spaeth - TE - Minnesota
Round #4 - Pick #13 - Overall #112 - From Green Bay. Daniel Sepulveda - P - Baylor

My vote for picks ranked by value (from top best value to bottom lowest).

Getting Baker in the last round appears to be the steal of the draft for us. After that Woodley and Timmons both IMO are solid picks and worthy of their draw. McBean, Gay and Stephens could be sleepers and if so would be in the next value group. I think we paid a premium for Spaeth and Sepulveda. The coaches better be really high on these guys to go after them like that.

GBMelBlount
04-29-2007, 08:00 PM
Sounds like EVERYONE likes Baker Rnd 7. Is there a reason he is so good and dropped off the radar?

PalmerSteel
04-29-2007, 08:07 PM
Sounds like EVERYONE likes Baker Rnd 7. Is there a reason he is so good and dropped off the radar?

i dont know but could guess and say a bad 40 time. but he reminds me of someone who had a bad rep last year and got drafted late and turned out ok: m colston. we can only hope :tt02:

Elvis
04-29-2007, 08:23 PM
Yeh.. I think that it was alot of his 40 speed. I think it was in the 4.6 range. They said that he is not really that agressive in the "going over the middle " section. And he not that strong of a run blocker. I hope the young man pans out, along with the rest of the picks but we will have to wait a couple years to know the real truth about this draft.

Godfather
04-29-2007, 08:41 PM
Excellent draft.

Got two good defensive players in the first two rounds. Picked up the best punter available in the fourth, and got a great receiver in the 7th.

Baker's a good pick--Igot to see him living in SEC country.

Godfather
04-29-2007, 08:45 PM
WOW... That's pretty much all i can say.. i am incredibly dissapointed... No reciever help... dallas baker? who the hell is that? so he's from florida big woop... look at chad jackson where has he gone?? oh yeah that's right buried on the patriots depth chart behind donte stallworth, randy moss, wes welker. Shows he was a great reciever... WE WERE ONE PICK AWAY FROM FRICKING DWAYNE JARRET!!!!!! how is that both kevin kolbert and mike tomlin are willing to trade up for a punter and not for a more decorated and proven reciever. I say we should have given carolina our 2nd and 3rd picks for dwayne... he's just that good... but even if we didn't get dwayne jarret... Lamar Woodley? i mean come on! Has his stock not been free-falling since the all-star game? we could have even got the hampton OLB Justin durant a little more unproven but if ur willing to take the risk on lawrence timmons u sure as hell better take a risk on justin durant. EVEN A CB WOULD DO!!!! Eric Wright CB UNLV was available!!!! i just cannot contemplate this draft at all... its got an fat "F" written all over it... i give mike tomlin 1-3 years b4 he is fired for good... i also wish kevin colbert director of football operations be fired with tomlin...

Come on man...Eric Wright has major character issues. Not a Rooney or Tomlin type of guy. Woodley was a good second-round pick. Jarrett cold just as easily be overrated as a guy from Florida, maybe even more so considering the current state of PAC-1 defenses. Dissing a seventh-round pick is kind of silly.

Jeremy
04-29-2007, 10:27 PM
If you don't know who Dallas Baker is, you don't watch much college football.

Livinginthe past
04-29-2007, 11:05 PM
Baker info.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2007/baker_dallas

Mods - feel free to delete this post once you have edited the original post to incluse this link! :cheers:

rbryan
04-30-2007, 12:07 AM
Tomorrow every newspaper in America will post a grade on each teams draft like its as valid as your high school report card. What a joke, you can't judge anything for at least one season and to truly judge it you need 3 or 4.

All you "draft experts" truly amuse me. I can tell some of you actually believe your own BS and think you know more than an organization that invests millions of dollars to evaluate NFL talent, not to mention have many more years of experience doing it.

You are the reason they invented fantasy football.

Livinginthe past
04-30-2007, 12:28 AM
Tomorrow every newspaper in America will post a grade on each teams draft like its as valid as your high school report card. What a joke, you can't judge anything for at least one season and to truly judge it you need 3 or 4.

All you "draft experts" truly amuse me. I can tell some of you actually believe your own BS and think you know more than an organization that invests millions of dollars to evaluate NFL talent, not to mention have many more years of experience doing it.

You are the reason they invented fantasy football.

So RBryan - if you aren't hear to offer an opinion on draft picks an/or fans who are doing just that - what are you here for right now?

Maybe you want to run us through your thoughts on the 2003 Steeler draft class?

I have a strong aversion to those who want to impose their will on others by ridiculing and insulting those they dont agree with.

Maybe we should all just sit in silence on gameday too?

Because, for sure, we have about as many NFL game analysis experts as we do draft experts.

BOXCAR JOEY
04-30-2007, 01:34 AM
yes they picked up my boy mr cameron stephenson. Im so souped about this season. The iron curtain returns with the new picks!

SteelersFever
04-30-2007, 06:13 AM

The fans do know a lot and to say their opinion isn't worth the shit on your sole is ridiculous. I think it was a fine draft and if I had a choice I wouldn't mind if all the fans collectively drafted our players.

The scouts get too attached to these draft prospects and they're families when they're at a young age and end up over-looking a lot of talent and needs. That isn't to say they're all bad picks. :helmet:

Elvis
04-30-2007, 06:51 AM
Come on man...Eric Wright has major character issues. Not a Rooney or Tomlin type of guy. Woodley was a good second-round pick. Jarrett cold just as easily be overrated as a guy from Florida, maybe even more so considering the current state of PAC-1 defenses. Dissing a seventh-round pick is kind of silly.
:thumbsup: Good point.
I liked Jarrett and all but to trade that much for him?... No thanks..
:tt02:

Kittyfish
04-30-2007, 11:55 AM
Well, this fan doesn't know a whole lot, I'm afraid - I'll leave the debates about individual pros and cons to those who do - but can I just say I find it all very exciting! This is the first draft I've paid any attention to, and to this uninformed fan, I think we got some good people. I find all the discussion - on both sides - very interesting, and am trying hard to learn. Of course, time will tell if these were good picks or not. All I can say is, I can't wait for the season to start and see how these new players will do and how they will fit in. Woo hoo! Let the games begin!

(What's a water boy? I mean, I know what a water boy really is, but did I get demoted? I guess I'm still on the field. so it's all good.)

rbryan
04-30-2007, 12:06 PM
So RBryan - if you aren't hear to offer an opinion on draft picks an/or fans who are doing just that - what are you here for right now?

Maybe you want to run us through your thoughts on the 2003 Steeler draft class?

I have a strong aversion to those who want to impose their will on others by ridiculing and insulting those they dont agree with.

Maybe we should all just sit in silence on gameday too?

Because, for sure, we have about as many NFL game analysis experts as we do draft experts.

I am here to defend the decisions made by the FO because I do believe they are more knowledgable than any one here. Especially the ones who as you put it " want to impose their will on others by ridiculing and insulting those they don't agree with"

BTW, isn't that what you just did ??

Perhaps I was a bit harsh with my opinion, but stand by the message. No one knows how this draft will turn out today. People who pass judgement as if they have some divine knowledge of the future amuse me. Almost as much as a Patsie fan who spends as much time on the Steelers board as you.

Livinginthe past
04-30-2007, 01:17 PM
I am here to defend the decisions made by the FO because I do believe they are more knowledgable than any one here. Especially the ones who as you put it " want to impose their will on others by ridiculing and insulting those they don't agree with"

Perhaps I was a bit harsh with my opinion, but stand by the message. No one knows how this draft will turn out today. People who pass judgement as if they have some divine knowledge of the future amuse me. Almost as much as a Patsie fan who spends as much time on the Steelers board as you.

What I am doing is defending peoples right to share their opinion - what you are attempting is to quash draft related talk simply because we dont know as much as the Steelers FO.

Stating the ridiculously obvious such as 'no-one knows how the draft will turn out' doesn't make it ok.

Im glad you find amusement in the things you state - how about showing us a little of that by lightening up a little?

OneForTheToe
04-30-2007, 03:12 PM
(What's a water boy? I mean, I know what a water boy really is, but did I get demoted? I guess I'm still on the field. so it's all good.)

That title is based on how many posts you have. I think you move to draft prospect at 50 and then move up as you go. Is Living Legend the highest? In any case, I'll be off to that endzone in the sky long before I catch Tony Hipchest's upwards and onwards of 11,000.

SteelersTilIDie
04-30-2007, 03:55 PM
I actually think the steelers had a good draft. The only need they didnt answer was that of a runningback to compliment willie parker. Najeh can play that role this year at least. I love the defensive picks to sure up the defense. Dallas Baker was a 4th round projection. 4.54 with velvety soft hands and good route running, adequate blocker. That is great for the stillers. Oh, i forgot to mention that he is 6'3, 215.

steeler614
04-30-2007, 04:19 PM
I think the Steelers did great in this draft, with an OLB and LB/DE hybrid to help our pass rush-something we badly needed, a new punter-something else we badly needed, a new guard, tight end-don't think we really needed one but I like what I read about him, a tall WR which was another need, and another DE and CB that can be used as backups and for special teams. so if you think about it with the exception of more o-line (which I think can wait until next year) just about every area of need has been addressed. I give the Steelers an A-.

Northside Jonny
04-30-2007, 07:09 PM
Im excited to see what happens with this McBean. It sound like he was a very good pickup in the 4th round.

Thomas Mihalich
04-30-2007, 07:16 PM
Looks like Blitzburgh is coming to town. Let the defense win the game!

touchdownward
04-30-2007, 07:31 PM
Like several others, I really liked the Dallas Baker pick. I've seen him alot on TV and in the stadium, he was the best receiver on their team. I've seen him climb the ladder to get balls countless times. He was injured a good bit, but played hurt alot. And like I said in the draft thread yesterday THAT'S STEELER FOOTBALL!!!
Mark my word, Baker's in the game opening snap this season.

Livinginthe past
04-30-2007, 07:37 PM

Thats a pretty brave prediction for a 7th round pick.

Tell you what; i'll bet you $5 that he isn't on the field for the 1st offensive snap of the year - loser donates the $5 to the site.

Hows that sound?

touchdownward
04-30-2007, 07:48 PM
Thats a pretty brave prediction for a 7th round pick.

Tell you what; i'll bet you $5 that he isn't on the field for the 1st offensive snap of the year - loser donates the $5 to the site.

Hows that sound?
He's no Colston, but I don't think he's far off.

You got a deal, man from another land. :smile:

Livinginthe past
04-30-2007, 08:02 PM
He's no Colston, but I don't think he's far off.

You got a deal, man from another land. :smile:

Good man :cheers:

So...whatta we got...4 months?

Thats a long wait for some serious football.

touchdownward
04-30-2007, 08:09 PM
Good man :cheers:

So...whatta we got...4 months?

Thats a long wait for some serious football.
I hear ya man, it's a looong summer for football fans. :cheers:

Preacher
04-30-2007, 08:58 PM

LOL... click here (http://forums.steelersfever.com/memberlist.php?&order=DESC&sort=posts&pp=30)

to see the members, and thier designations... You can see that where each change, as thier designation changes with the fewer posts they have.

GBMelBlount
04-30-2007, 11:17 PM

rbryan...Agreed. I wasn't real happy with a 2nd grade pick 1st round, or a TE 3rd & trading up for a punter..but the FO knows best. I am honestly still learning. BUT to have a knowledgeable, sometimes joking poster like LITP frequently visit us from PATSland, I am actually flattered. He is a good dude, and when he could spend all his time in shitsville, he spends a part of it, with his brothers,....the Steelers! He just doesn't see it that way yet!

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-01-2007, 08:59 AM

I truly believe Fowler will be a better WR than Baker.

G-Unot
05-01-2007, 08:01 PM
I think trading down for a punter was dumb. Matt Spaeth im not sold on since i didnt hear anything about him. when we didnt pick micheal bush..just terrible.

FastWillieParker39
05-05-2007, 04:20 PM
yea I actually like the punter pick because Gardocki is getting old now and when he replaces him, he will be a EXCELLENT replacement.

blackngoldbaby
05-14-2007, 06:54 PM

yeah im very pleased with him and does anyone know how tall he is?if ya do please let me know because I think the steelers need a good tall reciever so i was just wondering what size he is. Ive heard alot of positive things about him.

fansince'76
05-14-2007, 10:07 PM
yeah im very pleased with him and does anyone know how tall he is?if ya do please let me know because I think the steelers need a good tall reciever so i was just wondering what size he is. Ive heard alot of positive things about him.

6'-3", 207 lbs: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=127394

Preacher
06-02-2007, 04:36 AM
I gotta say,

as a seventh rounder... he is well worth the shot.

Elvis
06-02-2007, 08:59 AM
I hope that Baker makes the team and makes a big splash this season and seasons to come. Now, reality tells me he probably wont even make the team... maybe he will make the practice squad and there is nothing wrong with that. Alot of big time WR's dont do alot the first year that they are in the NFL. I hope that he does exactly what the young man from the Saints did last year myself...
:tt02:

Steeldude
06-02-2007, 05:57 PM

baker's main problem is he is afraid of contact ala burress. i just hope his fundamentals, attitude and hands are better than burress'.

Steeldude
06-02-2007, 05:58 PM
timmons hurt again in camp. anyone else feel this guy is going to be injured more than kendrell bell?

SteelCzar76
06-02-2007, 08:55 PM
baker's main problem is he is afraid of contact ala burress. i just hope his fundamentals, attitude and hands are better than burress'.

I am in agreement regarding Baker's disdain for physicality. But with that said,....i think he (and POSSIBLY Woodley),.... may be the only player that we drafted this year that actually shows an immediate 'return'. (ie: Redzone scoring)

Is this a product of the considerable 'drop off' after Hines, Santonio and big Heath ? Perhaps,....but it also could be a matter of his talent. At the end of the day,...one would be hard pressed to deny his productivity at Florida.

The Duke
06-02-2007, 11:24 PM
timmons hurt again in camp. anyone else feel this guy is going to be injured more than kendrell bell?

hope not

Davison_K
06-03-2007, 01:18 AM
I think trading down for a punter was dumb.

We needed the punter, and I can't get over that hit! :tt02: That is the way a Steeler should hit on special teams! The question is, could we have still gotten him had we not traded up? And... What could that 6th rd pick been?

GeneralRobinson
06-03-2007, 11:20 AM
Any details on how bad it is? I can't find any internet reports.

Steeldude
06-03-2007, 06:02 PM
general, nothing devastating. if i remember correctly he first had a hamstring problem and now he has a groin problem.

Elvis
06-04-2007, 11:23 AM
We needed the punter, and I can't get over that hit! :tt02: That is the way a Steeler should hit on special teams! The question is, could we have still gotten him had we not traded up? And... What could that 6th rd pick been?
The Steelers drafting a Punter was Not Dumb... If you couldnt see how bad Gardocki was last year, then you need your eyes checked G-Unot.... The man has stunk up the league the last 2 or 3 years and we finally make a good choice here I think that will definitely pay off in the long run... Steelers Grade A
God Bless
Elvis

Preacher
06-06-2007, 12:16 AM

I went and did a search... didn't see anythign about that.

All I read is that he is frustrated with the groin injury. Nothing wrong with that.